Back in the Home We Call Hell

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 12, 2014

After a day off to travel home and clear their collective mind, the Giants get a break today as they get to face Chris Sale. Uhhhhhhhhh…..this isn’t going to go well.

Supposedly the Giants were in on Jose Abreu but I doubt they went anywhere near what it took to get him.

Conor Gillaspe will likely be starting at 3rd base for the White Sox. We traded Gillaspe for someone named Jeff Soptic and that trade can safely be graded as an F- with Gillaspe turning into a serviceable corner infielder for Chicago.

But hey, math still says we are right in the thick of this so let’s go with the math tonight and hope for the best. At least we don’t have to deal with the DH position…..

1. sportdude said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Augh. Lunge at a pitch that fools you? Sure with TWO strikes..

2. sportdude said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Just heard Miller say Pence on 3rd in the 1st. Routine grounder to short but didn’t break. Then did. DOPE. Then couldn’t slide because the bat was in the way? Bad news bears…

• DJLoo said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:27 pm

That’s how it went down,dude…

• chipower9 said, on August 13, 2014 at 9:00 am

It was pathetic, but right in these guys’ wheelhouse (considering the way they have played of late). I was going to mention how huge that run could have been once they scored twice in the 9th, but didn’t want to jinx anything. Didn’t matter…Casilla coughed it up.

3. snarkk said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:27 pm

So, I’ll hand the Howdy Doody optimism award to you guys that still think this squad can win the division.
    6 games out of the division lead now.
    Right now, this team looks, at best, headed for the chase to win the coveted 2nd wild card spot. If the Giants do get a WC berth, probably better they get the 2nd spot, for a road game. They seem allergic to winning at home…

• Bozo said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:34 pm

4. Bozo said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Come on Pablo.

5. sportdude said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Good night all. At least I’ve had friends to share this agony with. Fuck

6. Alleykat said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Brutal loss

7. blade3colorado said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Pathetic.

• tedspe said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:30 pm

That’s a little rough blade. How about…sad?

• blade3colorado said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Sad works too. In fact, add every &$^%#@_+ adjective in the book.

• tedspe said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Well, I see what you’re saying (or writing) but I think it’s more precise to call it +!#@%^(*&#@$$%+(*&%$.
        But I admit..it’s semantics

8. sportdude said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Snark no way we win division. Our 3 crappy teams we play a bunch (that the optimism is based on) are all playing better than us, and have been for months

9. chipower9 said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:29 pm

I don’t know…

That was just plain fucking depressing….

10. snarkk said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I’ve got it.
    The AL won the AS Game, thus the WS home field, for a reason.
    When the Giants get into the WS, they will lose all 3 games at ATT, yet win all 4 and the Series, on the road…

• chipower9 said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:38 pm

It could happen…

“Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.”

What are the odds on that one at Harrah’s?

11. snarkk said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Guys, from June on, I’m afraid we are witnessing a preview of the Giants for the next couple of years.
    Gnite…

12. salty said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:36 pm

They have to do more than cobble together singles.

13. Nipper said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Happy with moral victories? They fought back and took it to an extra inning but alas our Giants lose to another AL Club. Notice a trend here?

• tedspe said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Please, don’t start with the DH, Nipper, thanks

14. Alleykat said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I can’t even sleep anymore, can’t even possibly see how Bruce Bochy can . He’s aged 20 years in the last month, watching this team slide..

15. tedspe said, on August 12, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Well…fuck. It was entertaining up to the end but I’m not sure how much more of this I can take. Fuck it. Second wind and all…it can happen. It can.
    Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

16. Macdog said, on August 12, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Right now, the Giants couldn’t beat the 1919 Black Sox.

17. chipower9 said, on August 13, 2014 at 8:04 am

“But hey, math still says we are right in the thick of this…”

Is that the “New Math” that bombed in the 80s?

A loss like that of last night is the last damned thing you need when you are trying to not have your dauber down. Brutal…

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 13, 2014 at 8:07 am

The waiver deadline is 8/31 right? How long until the club makes Sandoval available? Sigh

• snarkk said, on August 13, 2014 at 8:40 am

As of last week, Giants RHP Jacob Dunnington out of low-A Augusta caught second time for PEDs, gets 50 game suspension. How many kids in the minors are doing PEDs? If this kid got caught a second time, he must be pretty stupid, or isn’t going to the right providers…

19. snarkk said, on August 13, 2014 at 8:35 am

I’m trying to look for positives. Voggy pitched well last night, deserved a win. He’s pitched pretty well recently. At this rate, he might even be back next year, which in this past Spring Training I would have considered an impossibility. He’s definitely done far better than I ever imagined after looking washed up last season. Then, there’s the fact the squad has scored zero runs in his last five starts at ATT. Zero. Runs. Hard to get a win when that happens…

• stickman said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:06 am

Good points on Vogie: One year contract okay by me.

20. paulinasia said, on August 13, 2014 at 8:36 am

Interesting. The last 2 losses actually made me feel more hopeful. I sensed they were getting a little bit of that comeback magic back again. Not fully, obviously, as they lost both games, but getting there. Too little too late? Not if they add the right piece or two in the next 2 weeks….. Hmm, guess I poured a little optimism in my morning coffee today… 🙂

21. willedav said, on August 13, 2014 at 8:59 am

Everything comes up just short. Beckham is not much of a hitter, tho better than the guy just off the DL that Casilla walked on 4 pitches. And Dunn usually gets burned here.

Panik hits a shot and it becomes a DP. Sando cracks one and it’s caught in front of the wall to end it.

Top of the order tho, didn’t do much. Pagan’s last AB, leading off the inning and he swings at first pitch for a weak fly out, I don’t understand. Sox pen is awful, he’s leading off, he’s never seen this guy before. WTF?

Snarkk and others are right, Vogs is actually looking good and deserved better. Course, so did Sale.

22. unca_chuck said, on August 13, 2014 at 9:17 am

Beautiful night at the yard last night. Took Bart, hit Reds for a burger and a beer, there was a Grateful Dead tribute band playing when we got there, the Giants did a nice tribute to Robin Williams before the game. So far so good. Then the 1st inning happened. My son asked me, who’s this Dunn guy? Didn’t he play for the Reds? I said Yup, just don’t give him anything to hit cuz he’s got a ton of power. Next pitch? On a fucking 1-2 count? Boom.

My son of course has been to 2 games that were both shutouts, so he’s bummed already. When Pence got tagged at home hesitating, with the SS playing back, I figured it was going to be a long night. And they didn’t disappoint. Since we took Bart, we split in the bottom of the 8th and missed the rally. On the walk back to Market St, we managed to see the Panik play and the Crawfish hit walking by some bar on the embarcadero, all the while hearing the crowd excitement build as we walked away. That Beckham guy made plays all night.

So, my son’s streak remains intact. He’s seen 26 innings, and 0 Giants runs. Hope this doesn’t carry over into the football season.

• Bozo said, on August 13, 2014 at 9:38 am

Is Rob still bartending at Reds?

• unca_chuck said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:49 am

Didn’t get to the back of the place. Just the counter.

• snarkk said, on August 13, 2014 at 9:38 am

Sorry, Chuck. But don’t bring your son to the next Flapalooza. 😉

• unca_chuck said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:49 am

That’s my only win this year. 1-4 . . .

23. Bozo said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:07 am

Since i think this team is still in it, I guess I’m a Pollyanna, a Howdy Doody or just a plain idiot fan. Every year I think they are going to win the whole thing, some years I don’t look so smart (85 I looked pretty fucking stupid) other years I’ve looked like a genius, it evens out some. I root for the team until they are eliminated, because that’s how I roll. Right now I see a team that is capable of cranking out a win streak or two, but they can also look pretty fragile at times. Last night was tough, but it took some good plays to beat us, so that was a good thing to see. By the end of the year I hope I’m not the only one still on this bus, but I can’t help it, I’m still going to hang with these fellas awhile longer.
    Go Giants

• chipower9 said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:48 am

I’m still on the bus, Clown. Damned near jumped out of the window with the bus rolling last night…but I have calmed down.

24. snarkk said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:09 am

Is Scutaro officially done for the season? I’ve been gone, so last I heard they put him on the DL again and that’s when they called up the Duffy kid. Googling doesn’t seem to give me a definitive answer on his status. Thanks…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:17 am

He was back, beaned Belt in the dome during pre-game. Last I’ve heard.

• snarkk said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:19 am

So, he was the Belt beaner? Great. As a parting gift he takes out our 1bman probably for the rest of the season…

25. blade3colorado said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:38 am

I’m still down with what the Giants are capable of, even more so after last night. As Bozo and Paulinasia alluded to – they went down with a fight and it took a couple of unbelievable plays by Beckham and Abreu to beat us. The Pablo shot – which was caught – was also a knife in the gut.

So what’s different? Dunno, except they didn’t go down with a whimper last night. Shit, who knows? This might actually progress to winning a game or two or three . . . Maybe in a row. They’ve done it before and that’s why I am on Bozo’s bus. 🙂

26. chipower9 said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:49 am

Pagan CF
    Pence RF
    Posey C
    Sandoval 3B
    Morse LF
    Duvall 1B
    Panik 2B
    Crawford SS
    Peavy RHP

27. chipower9 said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:50 am

I still would like to see Panik in the 2 hole and Pence moved-down into an RBI spot…

28. unca_chuck said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:52 am

At this point, to me it’s just them finding new and interesting ways to lose.

Fucking Sale was moving down Giants like a, well, a mower . . .

It’s hard to be optimistic when every fucking guy that faces them has a no-hitter through 5.

And we are now on the outside looking in in the wildcard race . . .

29. unca_chuck said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:55 am

Right, Chuck. Pence is the only guy who seems to be hitting. He needs to be driving shit in, not setting the table. Panik was at .260 for one AB.

30. Flavor said, on August 13, 2014 at 10:58 am