Still, Pretty Cool…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 10, 2014

Remember that game back in 2010 vs the Dodgers where the Giants hit 4 home runs and won? I’m pretty sure Burrell hit one and Uribe might have hit one to win it. Well, last night’s game didn’t remind me of that game at all. But I remember the feeling after that 2010 game and it was like, “this could be a special year.” And frankly, last night’s game didn’t give me that kind of feeling either.

But last night’s game was pretty cool–about as cool as a second baseman who’s hitting ,327 (an average that would lead the NL by a wide margin if he had enough at bats).

…about as cool as a scrap heap starting pitcher needing only 84 pitches to fire a complete game.

….about as cool as a September stretch run against the boys bathed in blue…..

1. pawliekokonuts said, on September 10, 2014 at 6:28 am

I only caught the last out on live video, but I submit that last night’s gem should be added to your list a few days ago of Dominant Games. 84 pitches. Lean and mean. Efficient, economical. Who knows where this leads — but let’s enjoy the ride.

• stickman said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:43 am

Pawlie: You may be the first ever to accuse Use More O’ Petit of being lean and mean. I mean have a look at the dude.

2. gianthead said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:03 am

I’m good with Petit in a Game 4…

3. willedav said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:26 am

Sandoval with 2 walks, one of which drives in a run.
    Blanco with 2 more hits and run scored, bringing the OB up to .344…same as Pagan after his great night.
    Panik also helps turn 2 nice DPs in addition to all the hits.
    Posey looks a lot more comfortable scooping up ground balls, and Susac continues to scorch ball.
    All this with no Morse, and Belt still out.

4. salty said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:41 am

Well said, flavor.

Sweet to be in the hunt and icing is dodger giant rivalry with the title on the line.

Petit becoming a helluva story. Almost threw a perfect game. Set the record for consecutive outs. Another great find by Giants scouts. Arb elig in 2015, he will be back at a very reasonable price.

• Flavor said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:47 am

and how about him throwing it against the team who cast him off? I wonder if the D-Backs are regretting that move yet? Weren’t they also the team he almost *perfect gamed* last year?

• willedav said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:03 am

Yes, they showed the hit by Eric Chavez Pence couldn’t quite reach.

5. stickman said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:45 am

Viva Venezuela!

6. Nipper said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:47 am

How about these kids?

7. twinfan1 said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:29 am

Wednesday morning with nothing to do but make another list: milk, razor blades, Zeke food, ground chuck…oops, wrong list!

*Who woulda thunk it? Petit/Kershaw suddenly looks like a marquee match-up

*BP Quick Hits are back, a few of the best:

*”Yusmeiro Petit threw 80 percent strikes last night but, by Brooks Baseball, 13 percent of them should have been called balls, meaning Petit threw just 69 percent strikes, and by now 100 percent of you have stopped reading this comment.”

*A’s: “Nick Punto is back from the DL so now Oakland can make that big trade with the Dodgers and win the World Series next season.”

*”Aroldis Chapman was pulled over for going 85 in a 70 mph zone. The cop said, “Do you know why I pulled you over?” and Chapman said, ” For going slower than my changeup?”

*”Cubs prospect Kris Bryant won minor leaguer of the year, continuing a long run of seasons when the best players on the Cubs weren’t on the Cubs. ”

OK, back to me!

*It’s not retroactive, thank goodness. Rule 7.13 clarified: “The key point, according to managers who saw the letter, is that common sense must prevail. Specifically, even though catchers are required by the letter of Rule 7.13 to allow a part of the plate to slide to, a runner who is clearly beaten by the throw should not be called safe on a technicality.”

*Joe was 5 for 5-with no runs scored and no RBIs-the 15th big leauger since 1914 to 5-for-5 with no other counting stats to show for the effort.

*Apologies to Beast fans and K&K – with no more DH, the Giants do not miss Mike Morse

*As per Fangraphs: Strickland already has a positive WAR- better than Timmy, Gutirrerez, Lopez, and Romo

*MLB.TV reduced to $9.99 for stretch run

*Softball Brewski League Night: Josh Collmenter goes for the Snakes tonight

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:31 am

Re Morse, Gregor still has 18 games left to see his OPS slide 30 points and bring renewed laments about LF 🙂

• twinfan1 said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:54 am

It’s not just Gregor, Susac as well. And with so much of the LU hitting well, Mike’s “defense” is so poor that I can’t imagine why they’d play him in a pennant chase. But Bochy does love him some long ball.

• Chipower9 said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:55 am

Down the stretch, I think more often than not, that Morse will be a RH bat off the bench, and not much else.

8. Chipower9 said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:32 am

I wanted to comment on Paul’s post (last post of the last thread). He was mentioning a trifecta that is having big impacts on the Giants resurgence this year: Hudson, Morse, and Peavy. He goes on to say how the kids are having more of an impact of late, and that is true. I agree. These were all great pick-ups (thank you again Sabean, Evans, and Tidrow), even though, as Paul alludes, Morse is not doing much of late.

Now I want to swing back to the kids. All of them have been special (even Duffy at times), but especially Susac, and Panik. Someone mentioned last night that with his five hits he failed to drive in or score a run. But, he kept the conga line moving, and that is important, too.

Here is a good read from Carl Steward of the Merc on Mr. Panik. It is a good read if you have not seen it already.

9. paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:41 am

Sorry, I wrote this at the end of the last thread when it was still dark in the early a.m. of Wedneday in Cali and just getting dark here in the Far East on Wed. evening, but these were a couple of interesting stories keeping me entertained as I ate my noodles. Story #1, about how 3 (odd number) moves might continue the G’s even number year success (getting Hudson, Morse, and Peavy). Hmmm… taking the whole season into account, sure. “The kids” have actually helped more of late than Morse or Hudson, but Peavy’s recent addition was gold. Story #2, about how the A’s might become the 1st team ever to have the best record in baseball at the break and not make the playoffs. Their slump at this time seems pretty similar to the Giants’ slump earlier. Wow. Timing is everything, huh…

And Michael, great to see you here. And love that stat about JoeP’s 5 for 5. Lots of interesting statistical events for the G’s these days, James should be happy…… 🙂

• twinfan1 said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:15 am

Love seeing all of you again. The crowd seems to have thinned out, though. A shame, this is the best X-Rated baseball blog on the planet 😉

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:56 am

Petit sure seems to have confidence pitching at home. Either that or the extra drive against AZ. Who knows? It sure was a great pitching effort. It was pretty cool.

I’ve been holding back on the Panik worship but the dude continues to impress. I saw mention of rookie of the year over at the Merc blog. That would be pretty cool too.

• twinfan1 said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:16 am

He was so good in the first three innings I was already thinking perfecto again.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:27 am

Same here. I was at the game last year when he came so close.

11. Chipower9 said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:11 am

There was mention of Posey’s two RBIs on last night’s threads…something to the effect that they were the cheapest two RBIs of his career. Well, at least he drove them in. How many Giants have failed miserably in that regards (including Posey) this year. I’ll take two “cheapy” RBIs like that all day long, and twice on Sunday.

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:22 am

It wasn’t at all a criticism, Chi, just an amused observation. And the Giants have failed miserably less often than most teams.

• Chipower9 said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:57 am

Well, I know early in the year they were killing it with RISP, esp. with 2 out. Amused observation? lqtm…I’ll buy it.

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Given that I don’t put much stock in RBI as a stat per se, it was definitely what I was selling!

12. Chipower9 said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:34 am

There is this final comment on Carl Steward’s game recap:

“Brandon Belt took 25 ground balls and 50 swings in the cage (tee and soft toss), and also took swings on Monday’s off day. But the key day is Thursday. Belt is heading to Pittsburgh for one more examination to see if he can get concussion clearance to resume full baseball activity. If that happens, Belt hopes to rush the process of catch-up.”

How damned cool would it be to get Belt back for the stretch run. Not holding my breath, but cautiously optimistic. Good luck, Brandon. Cannot wait to see you picking them at 1st again, and to stroking a few out of the yard to boot!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:42 am

Adding Belt to the LU to close out the season would be pretty awesome. I’m hoping for the best too.

• twinfan1 said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:01 am

Carl is the best. I made a comment about how Pav and Craig better “get their writing shoes on” (after one of Steward’s best posts) and Alex sent me an Email saying he was sorry that he wouldn’t be relying to my tweets anymore because he didn’t have his writing shoes.

• Chipower9 said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:59 am

I remember the original comment. That’s pretty damned funny (Alex’s reply). Always good to see you, Twin. Hope you and Merna are well.

13. James said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:31 am

Belt is kinda in the same spot Morse is in. If one or both start playing and don’t hit right away, the “team cohesion” may be damaged, and before you know it, SF will have a Cespedes-like scandal on their hands.

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:51 am

Huh? IDGI. Cespedes was traded. Those guys are coming off injury. I don’t think the team is going to turn on them for not hitting out of the gate.

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:59 am

If Susac and Blanco sit, Morse and Belt don’t hit, team loses a few, it looks like you’ve messed with the formula, even though there may be other reasons why you lose, and there’s no guarantee that Blanco and Susac aren’t due for a downturn themselves.

• DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 11:53 am

Well they’re 12-10 since Belt last played and 4-3 since Morse last played.
        I wouldn’t be too afraid of messing with that success rate.

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Agree with you, Loo. I wouldn’t hesitate to play either of them, assuming they are ready. The comment was about perception. In my book, there is zero connection between Cespedes leaving and the As troubles.

14. Flavor said, on September 10, 2014 at 11:46 am

Just saw that Donaldson had 5 hits for the A’s too. I wonder when (if ever) both a Giant and an A got 5 hits on the same day…..

15. Irish Kevin said, on September 10, 2014 at 11:55 am

Talking about the kids, I like it. Much better than talking about the old dudes. With the way Panick and Susac have been playing has made me re think my early assessment of the farm system. With the way the Giants were always trading, FA, whatever for vet players I just thought that the farm system could not produce quality players. Now my thought is that management either does not trust young players or when the young players don’t produce immediately they send them back to the minors to toil. Sad really. Look what the Giants did before finally settling with Panik. They used what 6 different 2nd basemen? Including Dan Uggly. (no typo there). Until Management was forced to bring up Panik. If Scuttaro had been healthy Panik would have languished in the minors for another two years!! That would have been awfull!! Signing Scuttaro to the deal they gave him is a prime example of the Giants not trusting there farm system.

• zumiee said, on September 10, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Yes, hindsight is an awesome, never-wrong thing.

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Yup. I mean, I’d really like to have George Foster back, but we still have Duffy.

• Irish Kevin said, on September 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I am not talking about hind sight. The Giants have been notorious for going out and getting Vets to plug holes rather than trusting in their farm system. Sure getting Scoots was the right thing to do in the middle of the season. But signing him to a 3 year contract??

• DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 2:29 pm

They gave a lot of guys reward-type deals for their contributions to the titles. Just about everyone but Bum got one. Some were blatantly questionable. Huff comes to mind immediately.

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Wheeler is the only guy they’ve let go in recent memory that has done anything. The ones they do bring up, including Brown, Duffy, Keishnick, Noonan, Adrianza, and Duvall and a lot of others have a short window to make an impact. Barring injury. But they do have spring training to make an impression.

I’m sure they didn’t want to rush Panik and Susac into the league, but when you look at guys like Perez, Brown, and the Bowker gang types, you just never really know.

Would Panik have come in to start the year read-hot like this? Who knows? But he’s played 56 games so far, and has settled in nicely. Panik made a fairly quick rise through the ranks. Did they hold him back? Hardly. He’s 23. Same with Susac. He’s only got 3 years of minor league work. And he had Buster and Hector in front of him.

• Chipower9 said, on September 10, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I beg to differ on not trusting the farm, especially in the Scutaro situation. The Giants had a definite need, were in a pennant race, and really had no one in the minors at that time doing much. Also, not exactly the scenario into which you throw a kid just up from the minors. The fact that the Giants desparately needed help translates to the three year deal for Scoots.

• Irish Kevin said, on September 10, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I am not questioning the pick up of Scoots, it is the fact they did not need to sign him to a 3 year deal.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 10, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I think Panik would have been starting at 2b next year regardless.

16. zumiee said, on September 10, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I’m a believer in the concept of team chemistry, and something happened to the A’s when Cespedes was traded. It isn’t just the loss of whatever he brought to the table as a player on the field. One of the ESPN broadcasters on Sunday night talked about how the A’s have lost the swagger they had earlier in the season. Sure, it’s because they’re losing a lot of games, but, on paper, the Cespedes trade shouldn’t have made that happen.

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Statistical corrections and injuries that lead to losing are a downer.

• DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Followers of the ’86 Mets will tell you that the worst mistake they made was letting Ray Knight get away…

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 1:39 pm

So, 2011 and 2013 were statistical corrections for 2010 and 2012?

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 1:49 pm

You can say the same thing about Pagan and his role in team productivity. It shouldn’t make the difference it did, but it did.

Yeah, it seemed overkill at the time as the A’s had just gotten Smarsaeraeorifj;lkj and Hammel from the Cubs, but we’ll never know how shit would have turned out. Besides, they still had Milone at that point. I think they sent him to Sactown around that time.

17. James said, on September 10, 2014 at 2:08 pm

No, no, this time it was the magical presence of The Kids responsible for Pence, Posey, Pablo, Blanco and Morse all putting together 800 plus OPS months in August.

• Chipower9 said, on September 10, 2014 at 2:31 pm

It is just downright amazing how a small influx of “kids” can have such a profound effect on the veterans of a club.

Now, on three, everyone hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

18. snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Sabean said publicly, about 2 weeks after Panik came up, that he was obviously not ready for prime time. I remember that well because I posted that IMO that was a bogus remark for a GM to say in public for a young player. Credit Sabes for bringing him up (tho he had no other choice, really). But, I don’t credit Sabes for knowing what he had in Panik, because he publicly showed that he didn’t know…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:03 pm

haha, I forgot about that. Good thing for Panik he doesn’t slump his shoulders.

• twinfan1 said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I thought that Sabean said that (on July 3rd) when Joe and Duvall were already up . Not a good thing to say but Panik was only hitting .200 at the time ( and was still at .200 a month later).

• wswins said, on September 10, 2014 at 6:13 pm

see my post at 6:11 pm…it goes for you too snarkk.

19. DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Anything new on Lincecum?

• snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:11 pm

He’s still on the roster…

20. twinfan1 said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:20 pm

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF

2. Joe Panik (L) 2B

3. Buster Posey (R) C

4. Pablo Sandoval (S) 3B

5. Hunter Pence (R) RF

6. Gregor Blanco (L) LF

7. Travis Ishikawa (L) 1B

8. Brandon Crawford (L) SS

9. Ryan Vogelsong (R) P

Gametime Forecast: 66°F • Clear • 0% PoP

21. zumiee said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:36 pm

The thing about the Scutaro deal is, it got debated whether 3 years instead of 2 was too much. Fine. But I don’t remember ANYBODY thinking that the Giants wouldn’t even get 1 solid season from him after 2012. He was a world-beater at the end of 2012. And no one thought Huff’s demise would happen so quickly. From the glories of 2010 to nothing the next season. Those guys dropped off the planet way quicker than anybody could have expected.

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Hindsight being what it is, you’d think one would track to the other (Huff to Scoots) but you never know. Huff’s (and Burrell for that matter) resurgence was nearly as shocking as his fall.

• zumiee said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Yeah, there seemed to be an amazing number of players that helped win the World Series in 2010 and 2012 who were completely done the next season as major leaguers.

22. Nipper said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Michael Morris in the field…….does anyone miss this guy? He’s pure DH material or I mean pitch hitter off the bench in this league. What a fraud! Giving him a glove is sacrilegious!

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Some say giving you a voice is the same thing.

Woof!!

• Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:38 am

WOOF WOOF! (Wags tail…)

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Here’s a nice blurb on Susac from John Sickels at SB Nation

24. paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I remember a couple of years ago in the off-season, there was some chatter in the media about Panik when he was playing in the Arizona Fall league. Maybe that was even just last year, so I guess I don’t remember all that well…. He was doing really well, and people started talking about when he would be ready. At that time, Sabes kind of brushed it all off, saying yeah, he seems to have tools, but let’s not get too excited quite yet. And at that time, he was probably correct. It’s just how Sabean goes. He trusts vets more because they have track record. Kids really have to earn it, unless you’re named Posey, or unless, as was said here already, there is no choice but to bring ’em up. But completely agree about that comment Sabean made about Panik when he’d been up for only a week or two; terrible thing for him to say publicly; and stupid thing for him to even be thinking so quickly. Maybe, just maybe, the old dog Sabean learned something new from this whole bit this summer with Panik and Susac playing pretty well after a rather short period of adjustment, and he’ll “trust” his kids a bit sooner from now on.

• wswins said, on September 10, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Or, some people respond well to a pat on the back, others to a kick in the pants. maybe these guys needed what he said to motivate them. Who are you to know, let alone question Sabes…

• Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:41 am

Excellent post, Paul. I do remember the chatter during the fall league, but I too cannot recall the year. I believe it was last year, though. I’ll be catching a couple of fall league games (Scottsdale Scorpions) while in Phoenix on business in early October.

25. paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for that link, Dirt, an interesting take. Obviously Susac will not be the 2nd coming of Posey, but what he’s shown is certainly encouraging. And, showing so well so soon, which hopefully will be maintained, also really solidifies Sabean’s *genius* in that Tommy Joseph for Hunter Pence trade.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:44 pm

The Pence deal has turned out pretty nice eh? I like Susac. He’s a big target back there. Hopefully he can be a solid 6 or 7 hitter.

26. bayside68 said, on September 10, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Panik and Susac hadn’t even completed a yr in AAA and did not exactly tear it up at Richmond. After seeing so many prospects hit well in the PCL and then bomb when brought up, it’s understandable that Sabes would think that when Panik was making a bunch of errors and hitting .200.
    And if I remember correctly, it was about Panik and Duffy. Susac hadn’t been promoted yet.

27. bayside68 said, on September 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Funny Panik was up here well before the break and wasn’t hitting. And everyone was screaming for bonefacio or zobrist or someone to plug in at 2b. And some were prepared to trade Susac AND Panik….for Zobrist. And they criticized Sabean for not pulling the trigger. Now they bitch about him not praising Panik. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

• blade3colorado said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Good comments (this one and the one before). I’ve always liked Sabes as a GM and in my opinion, he gets too much grief for someone who has delivered multiple playoff appearancesa and 2 WS. Also, I was one of those who wanted Zobrist and that trade would have worked out, as Zobrist is still doing fairly well. In effect, I was sick and tired of seeing the “black abyss” of piece of shit players at 2nd and wanted something done . . . When Panik came up, I was all for it and along with Stick and a few others – have supported this needed change.

I digress though – your comment is valid in that I, like everyone else here, gets to play “arm chair” GM. Goes with the Flap job. We get it wrong too occasionally (umm, a lot). lqtm. 🙂

• snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I’ve always said you can’t make an opinion on a kid unless/until he’s had at least 100 ABs. I was totally for continuing on with Panik, though he started slowly. The Uggla overreach was highly predictable to be a blow up, everybody here predicted that, and it was. I didn’t understand that move at all. He’d been crap for well over a year, it was a Sabes move just to make a move…

28. James said, on September 10, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Like Dirt, still holding back full enthusiasm for Panik. 327 batting avg, but 766 OPS are one reason for pause. I doubt that he is a 327 hitter, and, if not, he’ll need a little more pop to rise into the well above average category. Not that he won’t get there. Maybe he’s due for a nice drive into the water like that Arizona pipsqueak last night to shut me up . . . . 🙂

• Flavor said, on September 10, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I don’t really care what type of a hitter he is long term, I’m just happy he’s filled the void we had at 2nd base all season long. Even in his prime, I wouldn’t have expected Scoots to do BETTER than Panik has done the last month or so……..

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Sure, just pointing out that a 290 singles hitter is not going to be any more productive than Crawford.

29. DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Looks like another one of those 28,000 fan sellouts…

• Flavor said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm

it’s a joke what they call a sellout. They should divide it between tickets sold (the sellout) and # of people who actually walk through the gate. I bet 28K is the high number.

30. Flavor said, on September 10, 2014 at 7:56 pm

and dudes– if you don’t see your comment post it’s because it probably went into spam because of the new filter system I’m using. It’s much better at weeding out dickless piece of shit losers who have nothing better to do than spend literally all day trying to troll a blog.
    I’m fine tuning it though, hopefully it won’t snag you by accident too often. .

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:03 pm

No more token swear words from me to leaven my soulless commentary.

• DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:12 pm

What do you have against dickless piece of shit losers?

31. DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:04 pm

This game is like a glass of warm milk and quaalude so far…

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I prefer Schlitz Malt Talls with my Quaaludes.

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Can one still acquire quaaludes?

32. James said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:13 pm

My grandchildren and generations beyond will still be hearing about Fred Lewis’ 5 hit game.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:48 pm

lqtm. He was 2& 1/2 tool man…

33. willedav said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Another Fred Lewis reference!

• snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Ah, where in the minor leagues IS Freddles right now?…

• snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:50 pm

A quick dance with the Interweb shows he played for the Hiroshima Carp last year. This year – ?…

34. Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Another reason to hate ESPN.

35. willedav said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:23 pm

While I’m sure Bochy does love him some long ball, he likely also enjoys penciling in a player with OPS 100 pts. higher than his replacement. Morse OB has been above Blanco’s most of the season, so add in the power and there you have it. Morse OPS is still third on the team, pretty good numbers offensively.
    I’ve defended Blanco as undeserving of the abuse he’s gotten here, but really he’s spent most of the last 2 years proving he is NOT an everyday player. Up to me, I’d re-sign Morse in a heartbeat for next year.

36. James said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Has any pitcher reflexively tried the fake to third, throw to first move since it was banned?

37. eddacker said, on September 10, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Unusual and quite fortuitous that the east coast homers are showing the game. With fan favorite Rick Sutcliffe.
    So I am in SoCal visiting and next to tonight’s resturant a bar has a big screen outside on the sidewalk showing the game. And I stop and watch the Admiral stealing second base. When the umpire overturns the safe call the bar inside erupts in cheers. I look around for any Giants caps, see none, watch Posey fly out and head back to the room to watch. And stud Vogelstrong strikes out the side.
    Go Giants

38. willedav said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Such a contrast in styles to watch Petit pound the strike zone and Vogs pitch away and aim for the black ala Hudson and Peavy. So far, both approaches working vs. (Golds-less) D Bax.

39. James said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Fuck!!!

40. DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Damn! I had “Splash-nik” all ready to go…

41. paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

“Who are you to know, let alone question Sabes…” Hey WizzyWins… I’m just a baseball fan posting on a baseball blog with my baseball opinions. And truly, my opinions are no less valid than yours. So cut the self-righteous know-it-all crap already. You play that hand an awful lot here.

• wswins said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:25 pm

You know what…I play nothing an awful lot here because most of the “opinions” keep me away…they’re so friggin off base its not even enjoyable. I speak facts not opinions

• DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Here’s a fact for you wswin: It’s 1-0 Giants. Enjoy!!!

• wswins said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I should have have said who are “we” I did not mean to single you or anybody out Paul…who are we as “fans” compared to a GM of a mlb club. …

• paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm

If you say so.

• paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Thanks, Loo, that is indeed an enjoyable fact… 🙂

• DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Well, maybe in your opinion it is…

42. Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Triples baseline!

• Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Ooops, only double for Blanco.

43. Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Alright Ollie, you did your job.

44. Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:45 pm

The Duff-ster!

• DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:46 pm

The Duff-inator!

45. wswins said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Duffy made it even more enjoyable Loo!

• DJLoo said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Hope your smiling, wswins. Duffy never does.

46. Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:50 pm

The walk to Gregorius that got Collmenter out might be the turning point of the game.

47. Phlabloxxxl said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Frank Duffy continues his improbable comeback at age 67.

48. willedav said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Duffy reminds me of young Dick Bavetta. As a rook do they bar the guy from eating in the clubhouse?

Dbax sure do f-up a lot in the field. Now a wild pitch that scores a run. If I’m Gibson I can’t wait to get fired. Let LaRussa run this mess.
    Terrible throw from Inciarte, who made a dumb error last night that ultimately cost 2 runs, and the RF doesn’t look much better.

• James said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Per Fangraphs, they are 8th in the NL in defense. Here are the rankings for the top teams:

Washington — 12th
      LA — 10th
      StL — 3rd
      SF — 9th
      Pitts — 15th
      Atl. — 2nd
      Mil — 11th

Meaningless.

49. paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 9:51 pm

WS, per your 9:44: got it.

50. Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:10 pm

I’d love to know how many hits Pence has like that because he busts his ass.

• willedav said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:14 pm

They said 23 IF hits. He hits his share of IF dribblers, but man he runs hard.

51. snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:15 pm

In my opinion, the fact is the Giants are ahead 5-0…

• paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Nice when the two come together, isn’t it.. :-p

52. unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Facts are simple and facts are straight
    Facts are lazy and facts are late
    Facts all come with points of view
    Facts don’t do what I want them to

• paulinasia said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Whoa.. is that from Tom Tom Club, Wordy Rappinghood? Or maybe Cross Eyed and Painless, Talking Heads, can’t remember which…

• snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:34 pm

THeads…

• unca_chuck said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Bingo . . . Love that band

• snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Stop Making Sense = one of the best concert movies of all time. Man in Big Suit = hilarious or whack, depending on your attitude…

• unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:15 am

Saw that show at the greek in berkeley.

53. Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Out like a Lamb.

54. snarkk said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Giants doing what they have to do. Good job. Voggy back in the saddle against a bad opponent.
    Pads bite it against LA, thanks for nuttin.
    Dang, I wish the Giants had played better against the Rocks…

55. Macdog said, on September 10, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Machi’s first win since July 30!

56. Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:29 am

Kevin – sorry for the delay…was out of pocket most of the day yesterday. Regaring the 2:10 comment on not having to sign Scoots for three years. I beg to differ. The only reason they signed him for three years is that is what it was going to take ($$ and length of contract) to land him. The Giants bit the bullet to fulfill a need. I think anything less than three years and he would have been wearing a different uni for the remainder of 2012. Water under the bridge. Micah – Now that we have seen Panik, yes, a given he would (will be) starting next year, but at that time in 2012, he wasn’t even on the radar for a starting position.

57. Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:33 am

This is in response to Loo’s 2:43 about Tim. Last night they got him up during the second when it looked like Vogey was not going to make it out of the inning. That is a prime place to have Tim available (starter melts down early and you need a guy who can go 3-5 innings). And hopefully you don’t need that type of lohg relief often. Vogey sure turned it around after that inning and gave the team a chance to win. Gutty performance (the chicken enchiladas must have been on a delay).

58. Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:36 am

This is in response to Loo’s 2:43 about Tim. Well, they got him up in the 2nd when it looked like Vogey would not make it out of the inning. Would be a good spot for him (starter gets knocked-out early and you need 3-5 innings from someone). Gutty performance by Vogelsong to go 7 and give the team a chance for the win.

• DJLoo said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:44 am

Thanks Chi. I’d give him another crack at no-hitting SD.
      Plus it would give the aging SP an extra day.

• Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:05 am

Three no hitters against the same club. I believe that would be a first.

59. willedav said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:37 am

Dodgers 42-22 vs. West, Giants 32-27 this year. Nice to put a dent in that this weekend.
    Strasberg beaten by Braves yesterday, is now 11-11 for the season playing for a team 20 games over .500. If SF ends up as WC and wins 1 game play in, I think they’d get Nats.
    A’s find another way to lose to White Sox again, featuring error wild pitch and 2 run single after intentional walk in 9th. Blown save and L for Gregersen, who I never liked with Pads. Big series for them vs. Mariners in Seattle this weekend.
    Anyone going to ATT today gets a chance to wave good bye to Bud (in the booth with K and K third inning I think they said last night)…bout f-ing time.

60. Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thanks for the link on Susac, Micah. Good read.

61. Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 7:54 am

Edd – saw where you are in SoCal. Keep me posted when you head north, and will be in Gold Country. I leave on the 28th for a business trip to Phoenix. Back on Oct. 10th. Sucks to be gone for a dozen days, but the benefit is I will get to catch a couple of Arizona Fall League games (I think the Giants will have about six kids on the Scottsdale club, including Daniel Carbonell. Anyway, looking forward to meeting up with you, knocking back a few cold ones, and talking some ball.

62. Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:01 am

Had to chime in on some back and forth around 9:17-9:34. Wswins said “who are we as “fans” compared to a GM of a mlb club.” I would say that “we” are, overall, a knowledgeable group of hard-core Giants fans, and it is not out of line to question the moves of anyone…even a GM like Sabean (who I respect as one of the best in the game). Hey, we all have been following this game for a long time, and have formulated opinions, and on a blog, you share your observations and opinions. It is all good.

63. paulinasia said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:02 am

There was a little blowback yesterday about a comment I made about Sabean that I would just like to clarify a bit. I didn’t actually mean it to sound as critical as perhaps some people took it. I think I’ve been pretty supportive and appreciative of what he’s done as GM. When talking about some praise that Panik got last year in the Fall league, I mentioned how Sabean had pretty much said, yeah, well, don’t get too excited yet, and I said that he was correct to be saying that at that time. I also commented that maybe Sabean the “old dog” had learned a new trick — that is, that “his” kids might actually be alright (Who reference intended) and that maybe after this initial success with Panik and Susac, he might trust trying the youngsters more instead of relying on down-side veterans more often, which has often been his M.O. (hello Uggla). I actually meant that as a sort of obscure compliment ….. since they are, afterall, his kids that he drafted and was developing. Anyway, I still think that one comment he made publicly about Panik about clearly not being ready was premature, but I’ll also give a nod to wswins: perhaps that was intentional as a bit of a motivational kick in the pants to Panik. Whatever, can’t argue with the results at this point.

64. Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:07 am

Pace of the game was downright brutal at times last night. I wanted to chime in, but got started late (had the game recording), and didn’t catch-up to “live” until almost the end. By then, I was having a hell of a time just keeping my damned eyes open. Looking forward to Peavy’s start today. He was fricking nails last time out. GO GIANTS!

65. pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:12 am

Let’s see. Maybe I get be the first and last commenter on this so-called thread. (Thread. Good metaphor.) I believe I said here that Brian Sabean was going all Felipe Alou on Panik, Duvall, et all. By that I mean, it was a bit of a ploy, an old-school tactic that usually misfires: “Show me I’m wrong. Let’s see what you got. Be a man.” I guess we will never know it was that purposeful, if at all. But hey it worked. For Panik. So far. The 5 for 5 Fred Lewis comparison tells me these things take time to properly evaluate (I split that infinitive on purpose). But at this point, I see Panik meriting at least some votes for ROY. Listening to the Mets announcers last night, they made a good case for Jacob de Grom.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:14 am

My friend Sam P., who comes here sometimes, fellow whom I met because I left a note on his car after seeing SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS license plate holder, went to last night’s game with his wife. Inaugural visit. He’s hitting two of the Dodger games too. Great timing!

• Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:52 am

Very cool. Maybe you can convince him to give us a recap of his first visit to our lovely yard.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2014 at 9:51 am

good suggestion

66. paulinasia said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:27 am

Before Panik gets any ROY votes, let’s see how the remainder of the season goes. I doubt he’s been up long enough for serious consideration, but damn, he’s been “Blockbuster 2” at 2nd base re: making a difference. Would love to see him get the opportunity to perform in the playoffs as well. As for Zum’s comment yesterday (day before?) about seeing a lovely Asian girl in a G’s t-shirt, I’ll work on getting a good pic like that for the Flap once I get back to Saigon in a few weeks (brought a G’s t-shirt this time). Just to let you know, chatted with Steve a little this afternoon (it’s now getting late here) and he made it to Cambodia fine and dandy. Enjoy your Thursday, gentleman (insert Ted’s question mark), Thursday was ok here for the most part…..

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2014 at 9:52 am

looking forward to that photo, Paul-san

• Chipower9 said, on September 11, 2014 at 11:32 am

Oh! Giant shirt, Paul-san. Thank you very much…I love you LONG TIME.

67. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2014 at 8:30 am

Hey, Willie Mac was called up July 30 and won it. There aren;’t that many strong ROY candidates anyway, so he’s got a shot.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2014 at 9:51 am

good point

68. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2014 at 10:11 am

I’d think Met pitcher Jacob deGrom (2.62 ERA in 20 starts) and CinRed Billy Hamilton (55 steals) are the front runners, and they’ve played all year.

69. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2014 at 10:30 am

Anyone going to the game today? It’s your last chance to boo Bud Selig. Funny, the hooraw around his farewell tour isn’t near what it is around Jesus, uh, Jeter.

70. willedav said, on September 11, 2014 at 11:28 am

Pretty hot in south bay today, 90s. Won’t be that hot at ATT, but day game likely more hitter friendly. Hope Peavy can keep ball in the yard and SF take a few out.