Back Where We Belong

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 26, 2014

Well, I’m excited, I really am. Wild card, shmild card. Yes, we have won 2 of the last 4 World Series. And while teams like the Dodgers look at us green with envy (having just about no recollection of the last time they won) we can’t worry about that now. The wild card game is a playoff game and after missing the playoffs last season, I am more than ready to gear up for another game and, possibly, another world series championship.

I don’t care if it’s the Pirates or the Cards. I don’t care how many of our players are hurt or sucking. I don’t care if it’s just one game. I just want to feel that buzz again…..

__________________

Tonight, the WIllie Mac Award will be given out. It’s anyone’s guess as to who will win. Lots of deserving players. My vote would be for Petit. I think what he did this year was critical and under appreciated. Today would be a great way to honor his contributions.

1. pawliekokonuts said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:43 am

When I saw them handing out POSTSEASON 2014 shirts to the Giants last night, I was proud. And hopeful. We’ve been there before. (Um, Mr. Jeter and friends, enjoy your winter.) We can do it again.

2. pawliekokonuts said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:44 am

Big win last night. Big win.

3. Flavor said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:46 am

Is my heart really in this despite what me head is telling me about this team? Absolutely. We went too many years of not winning it all to not appreciate the opportunity TO win it all. And really, anything is possible. I learned that a long time ago….

4. Nipper said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:03 am

Fiery speeches are nice but it’s a long way from a Series Championship. A team either executes and wins or loses and goes home. I don’t like a one game deal.

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:42 am

it creates a game 7 atmosphere right off the bat. It’s fantastic. Don’t like it? Win your division.

5. Chico Flores said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:27 am

So, will it be an autumn evening in Pennsylvania or Missouri before returning home for the winter?

6. Bozo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:19 am

This should fire you up a bit.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:55 am

Fuckin A

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:56 am

Awesome Clown! Chi mentioned this on my Facebook page and I read a couple of references to it on the last Flap post, but I couldn’t find it . . . Thanks. Shit, I have no idea how many F bombs Pence unloaded as I lost count at around a half dozen.

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:24 am

I won’t lie. That made me tear-up last night, and it did it again this morning. That is awesome! Pence, while he has struggled of late, is a bad ass. If I am going to war, I want that dude in my fox hole! And this ties in with that “intangible” that some here play down, and that is the energy that a player can bring to a team that does not show up in the stat line. That shit is real in my book, and Pence had it coursing through his veins last nigth. Let’s GET IT ON!

• Bozo said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:16 am

Motherfucking Champion Blood.

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:41 am

Love the entire speech, but particularly loved that reference.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:33 am

Motivational.
      But, I’d trade it for him hitting a 3-run bomb in the WC game…

7. DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:22 am

It was really great when the unsuspecting Amy G interrupted her own babbling so that the viewing audience could listen in on Pence’s profanity laden motivational sermon…

• DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:23 am

Nice job, Bozo. You put that up as I was typing.

• willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:44 am

Anybody/anything that shuts her the f up is cool in my book.
      Pence is just a trip, one of those fun guys to have on your team, and a weirdo if he isn’t.

8. twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:25 am

* Captain Underpants delivered a rousing speech, the video of which has already gained a spot on the shelf along side some of Lasodra’s best. Fuck yeah!
    * 2 safety squeezes in the last month. Bochy’s training wheels for the “no wire” squeeze..
    * Just a wild guess but I’m thinking that Gregor will not be the guy on third when Bochy goes for it all…
    * Gary Brown? I hear a lot of “it couldn’t be worse”. A few decades of first hand experience has shown me it that it nearly always is.
    *Drum roll..and tonight’s Left Fielder will be….. TBA!!!
    * OK- did Meek groove one for Jeter? If not- why the off shore bank account?
    *So you wanna know why Strickland didn’t go back out? One number- 97.
    * Huff had the rally thong, Panda has the rally girdle. I’m thinking that a “Zoolander” is not in the cards for this one..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:57 am

Do you mean Blue Steel?

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:11 am

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:12 am

well played sir. lqtm

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:01 am

I’m stoked too. Good to see Sandoval and Belt do something positive. I really think its a good enough lineup to make some noise. If Bumgarner, Peavy and Hudson keep it rolling this club has a chance to go deep in the playoffs.

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:43 am

I agree Micah, and have said as much over the past month or so. If the pitching is there, and a couple of guys get hot, anything can happen. I am drinking the Kool Aid…I believe!

10. Flavor said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:02 am

So who would you give your Willie Mac award vote to? Me? I’d go Petit.

• twinfan1 said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:15 am

For all he’s gone through, Belt is my choice. Last night’s bomb was the capper. And does anybody hit more majestic home runs? And his bat drop and trot are totally cool.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:37 am

Agree Twin. I dig the bat drop. If Belt can avoid injuries and put together a full season I think the production would be great.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:45 am

Oracle and I have been simpatico on Belt for a long time. Guy has been star crossed, but the talent is obvious, just needs one real season to prosper. I don’t get why people get down on the kid for this year — he started great with lots of bombs, then gets hit and breaks a thumb. Then Scutaro throws a ball in his face. How is that his fault? Then, he comes back after 6+ weeks on the shelf and no workouts, and is supposed to immediately hit guys throwing cheese and 88 mph sliders? Look at the Giants infield. Belt, Panik, Crawford, and well, whoever at third (not counting on Panda there). That’s 3 of 4 spots set up for the next half dozen years, easily. Solid infield — I’ll give Sabes credit for that. Panik does have to shore up his D and Craw needs to figure out how to hit righties, but that’s doable…

11. eddacker said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:05 am

Fucking A, I’m back home in SF and my team is at the f****** dance. WOOT!
    Listened to a good bit of the game on knbr driving from Sacto to Danville. Love me a live radio baseball – next best thing to being in the stands with my scorepad on my lap. Wonder when they will start broadcasting games in 3D?
    (and) I will be at Saturday’s game somewhere behind home plate thanks to my lifelong friend Jim.
    rock and roll orange and black

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:12 am

What were you doing on the mean streets of D-Ville?

• eddacker said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:26 am

grooving with the cool kids.
        🙂
        I am staying with friends while I get acclimated to california. I grew up on Crow Canyon Rd.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:31 am

I was off of El Cerro. Years apart I suspect. 😉

Small world eh?

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:13 am

Willie Mac = Bumgarner.

• DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:25 am

Absolutely. I think it’s a mooooooooooooooot point.

• eddacker said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:29 am

Do snot rockets count towards the the spirit and leadership? Although I do believe he does 44 of them for each outing.

13. Alleykat said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:29 am

Willie Mac.. Give it to the kid Joe Panik, without him stabliizing a major deep hole at 2nd they don’t get to the dance..

• DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:36 am

I threw Panik out there last night (semi-seriously) but one of the guys straightened me out on that.
      Bum’s not only the MVP of the team, but he stands up to Puig and doesn’t sulk about his shitty contract.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:36 am

Not certain about giving the kid the Willie Mac (I always thought it was more about being an all around good sport, not performance – but I could be wrong). However, I agree with you AK, the Giants were face planting in a major way before the kid arrived. In fact, 3/4’s of the Flappers had the Giants playing golf in October before the kid’s arrival and the Giants subsequent turn around.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:42 am

My first thought was Panik too but like Blade said I don’t think they’d give it to the kid and the award has sort of become the team MVP instead of the most inspirational player.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:47 am

Thank you Dirt . . . I was searching my brain pan for that word, “inspirational” and I could only come up with “all around good sport” (meh). Anywho, that’s what I thought the Willie Mac Award was supposed to be about. For that reason, I would have to go with Bum, e.g., heroic homeruns, stare down of Puig, not saying a peep about his contract, and marrying that woman.*

*Just kidding about the last reason Bum 🙂

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:57 am

I’ve tried to refrain from comments about his wife but that pic BF posted the other day has made it tough. You still sick man?

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:02 am

Doing much better from this morning (and especially last night). I was lucky because I brought along some prescription pills for diarrhea that my physician said I would need during my round the world trip last year (specifically for Nepal and Thailand treks I did). Anyway, I never did use them and I decided to bring them along for this trip. They saved my ass (literally . . . lol) today.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hope everything comes out alright 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:45 am

Glad to hear you are better. lqtm on dirt’s comment (hope everything comes out ok)…

14. salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:35 am

Bumgarner clinched it with his stare down of the puig.

15. Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:44 am

There are a lot of deserving Giants for this year’s Willie Mac Award, but my vote is Madison, NC’s finest, Big Country…Madison Bumgarner.

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:46 am

That would be “Hickory, NC’s” finest…

• stickman said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:44 am

Bumtown’s best, if you wanna get technical about it. He even beats out his cousin James (Bum) Garner.

16. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:47 am

Bummie, Belt, or Panik. I’d give it to Belt for just fighting his way through this fucked up season of his.

Snakebit isn’t even close to the shit he went through. It would be very cool to see him get recognized for perseverance. He just may be the key to a good deep playoff run.

17. Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:48 am

Here is the criteria for the Willie Mac Award:

“The “Willie Mac Award” is an annual honor bestowed upon the most inspirational player on the team, as voted upon by Giants players, coaches, training staff, and Giants fans.

The award was established in 1980, in honor of legend and Hall of Famer Willie McCovey. The winner will receive a plaque engraved with the words “Competitive Spirit, Ability and Leadership” to characterize the qualities both McCovey and the winner exemplify.”

• willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:54 am

Only Bum could take that away from Pence. No one runs out dribblers like he does, and everything he leads by example. This is how you are supposed to play the game.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:04 am

Quite true Willie. Pence personifies this award ever since he came into the league.

18. willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:03 am

As to Belt in LF, I just don’t think Bochy is comfortable throwing him out there to brand new position this late in year. As I remember, he stuck him in RF one night late game with Pence in CF. I think I’d do that, Blanco LF Pence CF Belt RF with Susac and Posey. Maybe it works out for SF like Mickey Stanley at SS did for Detroit.

As to what you pay Sandoval, think of what it would cost to get .300 hitter in clean up spot with 15-20 HRs these days with offense at such a premium. 3 yrs at 50? I know he’s hard to watch sometimes, but gives good effort and a solid glove, and got himself in good enough shape to last whole season. I don’t buy the argument he gets fat and happy with a contract and implodes. I think he wants to win as much as anyone and maintains conditioning.

Something else to consider: Giants shopping list could include 2 OFs and an SP, so add in a starting 3b that can hit and I don’t see how Sabes does all that in off season.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:10 am

Willie I get your drift about retaining Pablo (good argument even though I disagree with you), but I am disconnecting on the “3 yrs at 50” comment? Is that what you think Pablo wants? Or, what he should get? Please explain . . . Thank you.

• willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:20 am

SF offered 3 at 40 earlier, right? I’d start 3 at 50. 4 yrs I’d lower the per annum but really wouldn’t want to go there. Make the qualifying offer and take the pick if he goes elsewhere all you can do.
        I’m just afraid of Sabes going dumpster diving for IF help. Yes he did bring in Scutaro for Culbs, but look at the others: Jose Castillo, Tejada, Font, O Cab, Bill Hall…collection of stiffs.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:25 am

Ahh, ok . . . Now, we are on the same page. You are in the ball park for my MAX offer to Pablo. What threw me is that most everyone here and in baseball thinks we are delusional Willie, i.e., if I understand the thinking – some team (Yankees?) is going to give him Pence plus dollars of around $100 million.

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:55 am

I have been on the same page re: retaining Pablo. I think what he/his agent wants is 5/100 or something close (maybe 5/90). I would be down with 3 @ 50. I don’t want to see them go higher, but I suppose I could see it going 4/60 or 4/65. But no fucking way I go anywhere near 5 and 100.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:58 am

I think you guys are semi-delusional. In a good way, of course. But, 3 years at 50? His agents have already spit on close to that, and probably already have sized up who’s in the mix for him. Ned Colletti would pull that out of petty cash, and say goodby to the last year of Uribe’s deal in a heartbeat. Somebody will give him 5 years near $100M, particularly an AL club. If Panda doesn’t get near or over that, I’ll eat my Panda hat…

19. Bozo said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:05 am

“Playoffs, baby! GET SOME!” – Hunter Pence (as reported by the Bay Area Sports Guy)

I’ll be using this line a bit this week.

20. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:07 am

Kinda long, but some funny shit. Plus a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner by Bob Weir, Phil Lesch, and Tim Flannery.

Plus a nice version of Scarlet Begonias by the Dead at 11:30.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:22 am

I forgot about those Casilla ABs. lol.

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:05 am

Awesome. I was at the game where Lesh, Weir, and Flan sang the Star Spangled Banner. Love the Scarlet Begonias part, too. I have a scarlet begonia on my front porch that is thriving…Thank for sharing, Charlie.

21. snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:49 am

edd – shoot me an email, maybe we can meet up for a brew somewhere…

22. snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:54 am

Pence for the WMac award. Until September and a short rough start, he’s been the only main guy that was consistently getting it done at the plate. Plus, he’s inspirational is an understatement…

23. pawliekokonuts said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:59 am

I was watching but had the sound off when Susac had his CRUCIAL check-swing hit. Man, it was like Pence’s weird hit in the 2012 postseason against the Cards. Or was it the Reds? Kuiper said late in the game the ball hit the bag. No. It hit the UMP not the bag, as far as I can tell. (What’s the rule on that? The ball just stays in play? I’m not sure what Bud Black’s argument was.) Lucky break. And I mean lucky. Whew.

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:05 am

Looked to me like it hit the bag and THEN it hit the ump, too. For sure it did hit the ump. If the ball hits the ump in play, you just play the ball wherever it goes. The ump is in play…

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:06 am

I thought it hit the bag AND the ump…but it was a magical hit, regardless.

24. pawliekokonuts said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:02 am

Blade, feel better.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Thanks. Next day here and I feel great for my trip to Luang Prabang, Laos this afternoon.

25. snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:15 am

I really do think they need to find a way to get Susac in the LU and Posey at the same time. Susac has pop, so he’s going to have a shot at a dinger or a double. The kid has a good presence at the plate. Get him in there 2 outta the next three or all three to get some mojo going. Good things just happen when that kid is playing. Give Buster a break and play at first and get him healthy for the WC and possibly further. I know Belt hasn’t played left, but get him out there a game or two and see what happens. All bats need to be on deck. F this Perez playing out there for defense, the guy is a rally killer extraordinaire at the plate. He’s a AAA player, period. Ishi needs to be on the OF rota in front of Perez, IMO. Perez should only play if it’s late innings and the Giants need to protect a lead with speedy OFers…

• stickman said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:52 am

Agree that Buster, Belt and Susac all need to be in the LU and playing somewhere in the field. If Panda does not care for 3/50 ~Sayonara and thanx for the memories. Come ST Posey should get lottsa reps at 3B. He has the athleticism and the arm, if not quite the desired range. Also agree with Ishi in LF instead of Perez. Though that kid showed some signs of life last season this year he has been one big nada.

26. Macdog said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:18 am

I finally watched the Pence video, and I can’t stop laughing. I’m fired up now for Oct. 1.

27. Macdog said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:21 am

Re Willie Mac award: Didn’t Pence get it last year? Can there be a 2-time winner? With that, I’d lean toward MadBum, although Belt is certainly a worthy candidate for all he’s gone through and making it back in time for the playoff game.

28. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 10:33 am

Yeah, plenty of guys have won it more than once.

29. pawliekokonuts said, on September 26, 2014 at 11:02 am

Of course, saying this is a preventive palliative, but I’ve come to love this bunch of guys (as happened in 2010, 2012, in radically different ways). Utterly surprising is the surgence (can’t say REsurgence) of these young guys.

30. snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 11:16 am

Now that the squad is definitely IN, the more peeved I am that they rushed Morse back. If they had just sat him another week until today or so, maybe that oblique would be healed up, and he could be starting his hitting now. Now, it’s problematic he’d even be available if they make it through the WC and into the NLDS. Not that he was great when he was healthy, but he’s a weapon they could possibly have used against a certain NLDS starter or in a PH role…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 26, 2014 at 11:51 am

They’re just getting him ready to DH for the WS.

31. Flavor said, on September 26, 2014 at 11:17 am
    • snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 11:22 am

Buster is caucasian, so it the bblhead. That’s about it…

• James said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Ted Simmons after a haircut.

• DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I’d like a Carmen Kiew doll….lifesize.
      I already have an air pump.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Hilarious. 😂

32. snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 11:22 am

Anybody know about the roster situation for the WC game? I would think they’d carry maybe 2 fewer pitchers and load up on bats. I assume that if you make it through, the rosters can change from the WC gameinto the NLDS…

33. snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 11:27 am

If I’m Panda’s agents, I’m going to give the Giants a big fat photo of our friend Aaron the Gamer. With 5 years $60 million in big font underneath and the date of the deal: December 2007. That deal was done 7 years ago.
    They’ll say — you gave this stiff that much THEN with bogus, padded numbers from playing in Philly? Panda is way more productive and you know how he can hit at ATT, and he’s the best FA 3rd baseman out there…

• Nipper said, on September 26, 2014 at 12:14 pm

His weight in the future may be as unpredictable as the stock market. He’s got to hit the open market if he’s smart. The Giants should pass. Winning isn’t everything. Garlic fries are. Parking fees must be doubled and the suckers will still come.

• unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Wake up on the wrong side of the van, Nipper?

WOOF!

34. Fettmucke said, on September 26, 2014 at 12:47 pm

The question now is whether Bochy can hold a contentious clubhouse together for four more games.

• zumiee said, on September 26, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Yeah, they looked real contentious last night as they were pouring champagne on each other, and laughing and hugging each other.

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Contentious? You are obviously confused, and thinking about the bumbinos from la la land…

35. Alleykat said, on September 26, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Yeah as much as Panik has been a lifesaver at 2nd to stable the sinking Titanic, I’ll go with The Undertaker for the Mac award.
    His pitching 2nd to only that other guy we hate to mention has been “Nails on year, plus his smack down of that pussy Puig was the clincher!
    Speaking of “SmackDowns”:Bumgarner, Peavy ,and Vogy against any 3 Dodger pitchers anytime anywhere!!
    Current position players against Puig and a couple other creatants, would be Morse, Pence, and Big Country again!!
    My best all time brawlers for the G men though ,would have to be Hac-Man, Chili Davis and Kevin Mitchell , those bad ass dudes ,would open a can of whoop ass and anilinate the whole Dodger team!!!!

• zumiee said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I vaguely remember Leonard being called “Penitentiary Face,” also. That’s a harsh nickname.

• Alleykat said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Yeah Zumie ,Jeffery Leonard got that nickname “Penitentiary Face” due to his aggressive hitting style,and a perpetual scowl on his face.
        One bad ass dude growing up in the streets of Philadelphia!!!

• Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:45 pm

CAN of whoop ass? They never opened anything less than an industrial sized 55 gallon drum of the shit. Shooter Beck and Mike Jackson would make good back-ups for this crew, too.

36. salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Fun to speculate on Pablo. Surely supply and demand dictates he’ll get a lot more than he’s worth. But on numbers, he’s not worth 20m. NFW. He’s at 8 m now and hasn’t improved at all from his 2009 yr, in fact he’s down from that… This year he was in the best shape of his career, no injuries to blame and he goes
    750/ops? Meh.
    But he does have the marketing appeal.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I can’t disagree with any of this.

37. James said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hey, San Dawg, Timmy got his 100th. Time for that statue :-).

38. Alleykat said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm

See ya later Kirk Gibson!
    Just got fired by the D-Backs!!

39. Chipower9 said, on September 26, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Not surprised about Gibson. I am surprised he lasted as long as he did. I never did like that red ass.

• unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Right. He and his head-hunting beanball ways.

40. snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 2:14 pm

There has to be some good reason for these several management firings in recent days to happen just before the season ends. LaRussa hires his buddy Stew to GM the team, so Gibby gets fired the next day with 3 games left to play in the season. Was it so LaRussa can say HE didn’t fire Gibby? Somehow, there must be money involved, as in the team saving money. I dunno. LaRussa could stomach Gibby for the season, except the last 3 games? Seems like unnecessary “in your face” action that could have happened next Monday. Revenge for the famous WS walk off HR against the A’s?. Now that LaRussa is in charge of the Dbacks, I’m hoping they crater for the foreseeable future, and the Giants pound ’em early and often…

41. Alleykat said, on September 26, 2014 at 2:51 pm

D-Backs were dumbshits for ever letting Matt Williams walk. He should have been their manager 2 years ago, now they have egg on their faces as Williams could end up as NL manager of the year!!’ LOL,D-Backs being bottom feeders every year.

• zumiee said, on September 26, 2014 at 3:13 pm

The breakdown in the relationship between Gibson and Justin Upton hurt their team a lot, too.

42. DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Blanco CF
    Panik 2B
    Sandoval 3B
    Belt 1B
    Pence RF
    Ishikawa LF
    Susac C
    Crawford SS
    Vogelsong RHP

43. zumiee said, on September 26, 2014 at 3:10 pm

What Gibson is, is a reminder of how short the shelf-life is of managers who are brought in to “clean house,” or to be the new sheriff-type discplinarian. That can work in the short-term, but in the long run it wears thin on the players. Not to say that it’s better having some kind of marshmellow as manager, either. The best managers can find a balance between the two extremes, with Bochy being a good example of that. I tend to think Donnie 2x is closer to the marshmellow side, as a manager, but we’ll see how things play out in the future. I don’t think 2x will be fired if he doesn’t get to the World Series this year. But on the other hand, it wouldn’t surprise me either.

• DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I think the humongous player salaries have pretty much eliminated disciplinarian-type managers.
      They have no leverage.

• zumiee said, on September 26, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Yeah, and that was probably an on-going frustration for Gibson. Isn’t he the one that banned headphones from the players in the clubhouse? He wanted players interacting in the clubhouse. That was 2011, and the D-Backs won the division, and he was the toast of the town. He had the track-record of having been a key player in two championships. But when the D-Backs faltered in 2012, the act started to grow old, I guess.
        On the other hand, Showalter had a ping-pong table put in the Orioles clubhouse, and now they’re in firstplace. So, whatever works….

• Alleykat said, on September 26, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Yeah but Showalter brought in Forrest Gump to motivate the players in ping pong,and the rest is just a box of chocolates for the Orioles.

• unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I’m sure that means some thing deep and thought-provoking, but ya lost me, AK!

44. salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 4:04 pm

How much fault lies with Kevin Towers, who made a lot of questionable deals? Maybe some at the behest of Gibson. But he has to get value in return and they got what, Trumbo and Prado?

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I will say this about Towers – he is not afraid to upset the apple cart. I actually thought those moves he made last season were brilliant. I was dead wrong. That being said, I suspect that Towers will be hired somewhere again.

45. salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Sure Giants will be inspired to win one for Willie Mac. Wish him well.

46. WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Have they ever awarded the Willie Mac to the same player back to back? If not, Pence should be the first.

• salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Molina did …maybe one other

• salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:33 pm

And Krukow.

Only 3 repeat winners ..the other was JT…7/yrs apart.

No rook has won.

Petit would follow Torres and Voggy as reclamation winners.

Marvin Bernard won it, so there’s hope for Blanco.

• DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:37 pm

1984: Bob Brenly
      1983: Darrell Evans
      1982: Joe Morgan
      1981: Larry Herndon
      1980: Jack Clark

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:43 pm

When did Stretch win it?…

• salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Why didn’t Bonds?

47. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Snarkk and Stick – regarding your Susac, Posey, Belt, etc., comments at 10:15am . . . I have been saying something similar ever since Susac came up and . . . ta da . . . Buster started being Buster again, when he was moved to 1st base more frequently. Belt needs to be given a try out in left field next season. Even Unca Chuck has come around to that conclusion (yesterday I think). No idea about the conundrum at 3rd, but I will be upset if they back up the armored vehicle to Panda’s casa.

Why do Flappers always have the answers weeks, if not months a head of the geniuses at Willie Mays Plaza?

• snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Because we don’t have to deal with player egos, clubhouse internal BS we don’t know about, salary stuff, and whatever other extraneous crap impacts these “baseball decisions”. Players would probably boycott me if I were the GM…

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:43 pm

No way snarkk. That only happens if you are a reporter and write about them. This falls under the Golden Rule – He who has the gold, makes the rules. 🙂

• stickman said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:20 pm

My preference remains for Buster to get a long ST tryout at 3B, retaining Belt at 1B and looking at some creaking 38 Y.O. or so for a temp job in LF prior to Mac Williamson making the scene somewhere around the Break. Panda goes, unless he’s amenable to nothing more than a 3 year deal at less than $20M per.

48. WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I remember reading one of those baseball preview magazines quoting a rival “scout” as saying that he couldn’t beleive the Giants hadn’t moved Posey to first base. He stated he would improve his offense enough to offset the whole “your downgrading your production at two positions by doing so” argument that many of us have argued. I think a Susac behind the plate, Posey at first and Belt in left field alignment makes the most sense at this point.

49. snarkk said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I sort of don’t like moving Belt to LF not because he won’t be OK there, but because you’ll lose a Gold Glove level defender at 1B. But, they are paying Posey $160+ million, and Belt $2.5M. You have to protect that huge investment from getting dinged and concussed constantly. That only makes sense to me. Plus, Posey hits so much better when not catching. Susac looks way more than adequate as the starting C substitute. If Panda goes, then Belt stays at 1B and Posey to 3B. Posey can handle that, and his arm is way more than OK for that position. LF is then the issue, so they would need to bring somebody in. Morse can walk — too injury prone, too streaky…

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:49 pm

No issue with this scenario as well . . . Contingent as you said upon Pablo leaving (and no free agent is picked up to replace him) and Morse being allowed to walk (I am uncomfortable with him as well. I still don’t like that swing of his, nor his glove, and he is injury prone). In short, I am down on this being a major “look see” at spring training.

• stickman said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Looks like we’re mucho on the same page on this one. Something about great minds…lol.

• WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Same here. If Panda walks and I think he should, this would be the best route, assuming Posey can indeed play average or better 3b.

50. SanDawg said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:53 pm

James and I were talking up the idea of Posey at 3B next year if Panda leaves. We’re both down with that plan. Love keeping Belt’s glove at 1st.
    @ James: YES, I chuckled when I saw Timmy pitched one third of an inning and picked up win #100.
    Let the statue building begin!
    Another radical idea we touched on was Timmy pulling a Sandy Koufax and retiring this off-season. Of course, he’s got 17 million reasons NOT to do that, and it will probably never happen, BUT if there was ever a guy who would pull such a move, it would be Lincecum. I wonder if the thought has at least crossed his mind.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Timmie, is more then welcome to join Paulinasia and I in SE Asia for some major R&R if he decides to retire.

• SanDawg said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I think he’d fit in quite nicely with you two!

• salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Unlike Koufax, Timmy is healthy and believes he can still be a top gun. Listening to him, he obviously believes he just has to tweak the mechanics and his mind.
      He’ll be back.

Might retire if he gets shellacked and dfa’d.
      But would the giants ever do that? I don’t think so.

• SanDawg said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I’m sure your right, but you heard it here first if it comes to pass. Everyone on here said I was crazy when I said Joe Paterno was going to get fired—and look how that turned out. Every now and then a blind SanDawg finds a cold bottle of Miller High Life in the back of the fridge.

51. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Similar to the MVP selection, rarely does a pitcher win the Willie Mac. Hard to be inspirational when you are a factor only 1 of 5 games week in and week out.

• SanDawg said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Biggest surprise for me on the Willie Mac list is the inaugural winner, Jack Clark. I liked him for much of his time in SF, but he never struck me as an inspirational, good-teammate kind of guy. In fact, when they finally traded him, I had a “good riddance” attitude. Who knows though, as mentioned earlier, maybe I read him wrong just being a fan at home.
      I vote for Bum this year. He’s been solid all year and hitting that homer the other night was one of the great moments of the season in my book.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:03 pm

How are you and your son doing in FL? You’re in a “head to head” league right (meaning playoffs are included, right)?

Not certain, but I think I have 1st place locked up in both my rotisserie pro leagues. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Agree with your assessment of Jack Clark. Brain dead sort of guy. Bankruptcy (dude spent money faster then he made it, usually on cars) and his criticism of Tony Gwynn was inexcusable.

• stickman said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:24 pm

They could let him pinch-hit more often.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Again, Flappers way more sentient then the brain dead people running the show at Willie Mays Plaza. I have no idea why he doesn’t pinch hit more often. DUMB!!!!

52. SanDawg said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:08 pm

We felt just short of the 6th and final playoff spot, so we’re done. We actually snuck into the 6th spot for 1 week, but slipped coming down the stretch. Couldn’t hit and “Operation No Closer” was an epic fail.
    It was a lot of fun though. Thanks again for helping a brother out with all that. The Lonnie Chisenhall 3 homer game was one of the season highlights and came from one of your tips.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Yeah, it’s a blast. SD you should pick Flavor’s brain about FanDuel daily tournaments. I will probably play season long leagues again next year, but I am going to really focus on FD going forward.

Not certain how far the Gmen will get in the playoffs, but the “sleeping giant” favorite in my mind is Washington. I have 3 pitchers on my fantasy league teams that I follow (Gonzales, Fister, and Storen, who is the closer now). All of them have been pitching really well as of late. Gio was the laggard most of the year, but has been lights out in his last few starts. Fister has been unhittable all season and just today, had 9 SOs (he is not a SO pitcher). Storen has been nails too, after taking over the closer position from Soriano (great early in the season, but faltered last month). If the Giants don’t make any noise, I am rooting for the Nationals to spank LA.

• stickman said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:27 pm

I’m rooting for anyone to spank the LaBumbos.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Yeah, that works too Stick.

53. WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Speaking of Bengie Molina, he is being considered as a possible managerial candidate for the Texas Rangers. We shall see.

54. DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Posey’s getting good on grounders. Absolutely move him to third and keep BB9 at first.
    See Joe Torre…

55. willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I think the primary guy you’d have to convince about Posey moving to 3b would be Posey.

56. SanDawg said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Mixed bag for me when I look at the playoff draw. The 3 teams I most loathe are all in: Doggers, Angels, and Cards. However, I like the Nats too and am happy for the Pirates making it in. I don’t mind KC or the Tigers either. Something odd has happened inside of me and I also find myself actually hoping the A’s make it and do well.

57. willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Back when they were rolling the Chron did an interview with all 3 A’s Cs, and they all said something about being involved in the game the whole time behind the plate. That’s what they missed about a different position. 1b, of course you’ve got constant IF plays, cutoffs with runners on base, pick offs, bunts, yada yada. 3b all there is to think about is your hitting.

58. Flavor said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I seem to remember the winner getting announced some time in the afternoon on the day they award him pre-game. But so far, I haven’t heard anything. Have you guys?

• salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 6:58 pm

They are announcing it in the pre game ceremony this year…

• DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Who’s filling in for McCovey……..Bob Burda?

59. DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:11 pm

That’s a surprising gut on Vungo…

• Flavor said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:21 pm

shit I’m driving, wish I could see him. I can’t imagine him with a gut

• DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:29 pm

It wasn’t huge but definitely noticeable. J.T. has also plumped considerably.
        I love Kent – so underappreciated…

60. DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Obvious headline: Bum Garners Willie Mac Award

• salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Bingo

61. DJLoo said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Pirates won.
    What do you all have dates tonight?

• salty said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Yeah, I was all the way to 1st and had to say hold on honey, they are about to announce the winner….

62. willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Pirates win 3-1, 88 Ws for them. Only way SF gets home game is if they sweep Pads/Pit loses both this weekend.
    Makes me wonder if they would pitch Peavy tomorrow at all, or maybe limit his innings?

• willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Or if PIt wins out and DBax sweep the Cards into the pool.

63. WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I got pretty choked up watching Krukow come close to choking up. As he talked about Willie Mac’s medical issue with his legs, you couldn’t help but think of his own debilitating condition with his own legs. Great moment.

64. blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Willie, they might do what Seattle did yesterday or the day before – a game by relief committee.

65. willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Like everything I’ve seen of Susac but…he hasn’t even had 100 ABs yet. At some point league will figure him out. I’ll have to pay more attention to his D back there.
    As for calling a game, wonder how that works out, as Giants have almost all experienced vets except for Strickland among regulars.

• SanDawg said, on September 26, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Good point. Still a bit early to pencil him as the everyday catcher next year. Early returns look good though.

66. Flavor said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

royals just made the playoffs for the first time in 29 years. Yeah, I’m not taking this post season trip for granted, even if it’s the WC.
    Can you imagine rooting for a baseball team that went 29 years straight w/o making the playoffs? lol.

• WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I can’t even imagine and I hope I never have to…Good for those fans, they deserve it like no one else.

67. WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:01 pm

If they decide to bring back True Detective on HBO, Robby Thompson can play Woody Harrelson.

68. willedav said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:05 pm

That was way cool with Thompson in the booth.
    Great clip of him and Uribe, classic DP combo. Loved those unis too, esp Uribe sleeveless.
    Love to see them get Kent for a half inning.

• WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Sure was. Great line by Kent just now. “You guys are good folk. I don’t get to see much of you in central Texas. I am too cheap to pay the $150 for the Directv package.”

Maybe Blade can give him the pirated link.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:21 pm

There is a guy I follow on Facebook, named Kostaz Krew (Mr. Big2, who use to frequent this site turned me onto his feed). It is all HD, with no malware, ads, etc., except for the regular CSN commercials. However, occasionally, he forgets to turn on his computer or starts the feed an inning late, so it isn’t perfect. However, when I have nothing else, I go to the site that does have a gazillion ads, malware, etc., and just run a virus and malware scan after watching the Giants game. Anywho, any of you guys who need a legitamate free feed – go to Kostaz’s page and tell him you heard nice things about him and his site . . . In other words, butter him up and he will probably give you the password to access his site.

69. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Shit, I missed the whole Willie Mac thing, Forgot to DVR it as well. So , who won it? I missed Robby as well? Don’t know why but I always loved Robby. When he and Will came up, it was just amazind how the team was electrified by their arrival. 85 was a disaster and they just lit it up. The next year they hit the playoffs.

Such a sea-change to years of shittiness.

Posey at 3rd? I still don’t see that. Posey has played a fairly decent amount to games at 1st and he’s finally getting good at it. I don’t see him making another position switch. If Panda reloads his expectations, or somehow gives us a hometown discount, great. Otherwise, he’s gone.

3rd? Let’s get Gillaspie back.

• WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Bum won.

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Let’s get Gillaspie back . . . Don’t be surprised if it happens or he goes to another team. Cubs have an abundance of talent in the infield, especially SS and 2nd base – they could move someone over to 3rd.

• SanDawg said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:02 pm

You mean Chisox

• blade3colorado said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Whoops! My bad. Thanks SD . . . Disregard Chuck.

70. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Chuck, I knew you’d like the Scarlet Begonias bit there. I had the privilege of seeing Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir. and Vince Welnick sing the Nat Anthem opening day in 1993. Great stuff,

• WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:19 pm

I was there too. Bonds hit his first home run as a Giant at the stick. I think there is a good video of the anthem on YouTube.

• WilcoJoe said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:25 pm

And what made that game all the more special was the fact that the previous game at the Stick was suppose to be the last. Also a game I attended along with probably another 1 million Giant fans. 😉

71. unca_chuck said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Headley’s going to be bux to play 3rd, as are HanRam and Panda. Wilson Betemit?

72. James said, on September 26, 2014 at 9:28 pm

SD, I don’t recall J. Clark ever returning for one of these Giants nostalgia fests. I do remember that he sponsored a charity for mentally handicapped kids called “Clark’s Corner,” a cluster of seats somewhere down the RF line.

73. Macdog said, on September 27, 2014 at 1:41 am

Looks like it’s official: Giants will be on the road for the WC game. Liriano pitches Saturday for Bucs, so he’s probably out for Wednesday. And if the NL Central race goes to Sunday, it’d be Wainwright for Cards and Cole for Bucs.