A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

2010…2012….2014?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 3, 2014

Well, if heart and soul have anything to do with pitching, I like our chances today. And having watched Strasburg pitch a number of times, I’ll take the fire and moxie from Peavy over the robotic pitch counted Strasburg.

As we know as much or more than any baseball fan, anything is possible. If you had told me when I started the first Flap blog over at blogger.com (as a joke because the Splash blog kept crashing that day) that 6 years later two Giants fans who didn’t know each other would meet at my blog, become proud members of a supernova known as “Flap Nation” and one day meet up in Ho Chi Minh City for a “knowing dude head nod”, I woulda called you crazy….

And yet here they are yesterday (Blade on the right, PaulinAsia on the left with the peace sign):

hochiminhflapper

Let others have the day. We own the night. Flappers around the world, UNITE!!!!!!!!!

1. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:15 pm

If we advance, I really do not care who we see next series. If I HAD to choose, I would say bring on the DeadBirds.

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Yeah, I just think we match up better with the Cards. We stunk against the Bums in our last series with them. Let the Cards do the heavy lifting. That being said, the Nationals are far from being out for the count. In short, we have to focus and win these games in front of us.

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Absolutely, Steve. I should have said “IF” we advance.

One day at a time.

One game at a time.

25 guys, one common goal.

Just win!

YES! YES! YES!

2. snarkk said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Great pitching all around today. Peavy gutted it out for 104 pitches.
    Pen bent, didn’t break. Romo got it done in the 8th with lots of sweat.
    Strickland will learn from this…

• stickman said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Snarkk: No video here, but my surmise on Strickland vs those tough lefty bats was a bit of heat minus location. Only way even a pitcher with even max ++ heat can consistently pull it off is if he is totally pinpoint and obeys the veteran behind the plate.

• snarkk said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:37 pm

He’s new, the catchers probably don’t even have a great idea of what to call yet with him. A whole STraining with Rags and the catchers, and he’ll have a better shot at it. He’s got a good slider, he may need to use it more…

3. stickman said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:23 pm

WHEW! Do i speak for the Flap nation on that? Seven pitches for Casilla. Made it look easy. That’s what i call RELIEF. Not real confident of Huddy vs Zimmerperson, but if the Nats manage to tie the series tomorrow that’s two for sure in SF. Monday the Nats get to stand in front of the Undertaker. Liking that scenario.

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Maybe Hudson spins a gem tomorrow. Regardless, win or lose. One day and one game at a time. Let’s get ’em tomorrow. I mean really…why the fuck not.

4. wswins said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Hate leaving all the runners on,,,but love that they had the opportunities

5. gianthead said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Another clear fact emerged tonight…Casilla is the closer…period!!! Really no pressure on tomorrow’s game. We don’t need the win. If we cant win at home with the Bum, then we should not win the series…up 2-1 at home, we can beat anyone in baseball…

• twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Casilla was nails but Romo got them through the meat of the order. They were just great.

6. Alleykat said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Giants Baby!!!
    No stopping us now!
    And Stix, Have the MOJO going for Hudson,cause we’re rolling with 9 straight postseason wins!!’
    This team just knows how to get it done in October,even if all the media says otherwise, the only thing that matters is “The Flap Believes”

• stickman said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Alley: All for Hudson having the game of his career tomorrow. But if that does not happen the Nats still get to face the Undertaker on Monday.

7. Irish Kevin said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:43 pm

YAHOOOOOO!!!! I told you guys, the Giants just become magical in the post season and beyond!!

8. DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Tomorrow will be the unveiling of the latest secret weapon: Tim Hudcecum

9. salty said, on October 3, 2014 at 4:59 pm

They could certainly use some of the old Timmy to rise up.

Imagine Voggie pitches game 4, with Petit in reserve

10. wswins said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Hudson is 18-5 lifetime against the nats, including both wins for the G’s against them in the reg season…

• stickman said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Good points. If Huddy pulls it off ~ with a bit of Bully blessings, of course; then its quite likely the Nats DO face the Undertaker on Monday.

11. stickman said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Panik now holds the TEAM record for most hits in the first two post-season games. Belt was quoted as saying he was wondering if the kid is human. Even more, after these two games, Joe is my candidate for NL batting champion in ’15.

• DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:20 pm

He also made an excellent play in the field and later on confidently called off Belt on a pop-up…

• twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Probably rubbed it in a little when he caught it in his back pocket and did a moonwalk..

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:31 pm

“Caught it in his back pocket and did the moonwalk.” Another priceless gem, Twin.

12. twinfan1 said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Man, what a day. 3 to 2 and we had about 15 heroes. That is why we have 2 titles.

13. snarkk said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I will give credit where credit is due. This Panik kid looks like a doggone stalwart for the next decade at second. That is huge to solidify a team. Kudos to Sabes and his scouts for picking that kid. He will improve his D over time. With that flat swing, he could be an All Star down the road…

14. blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Sabes knows baseball.

15. Flavor said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Giants have won 9 straight playoff games and get this, they’ve won 23 of their last 31 playoff games.

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Yeah, those stats are mind boggling.

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Here’s another wacky stat I just read about – Only baseball players named Brandon have gone yard in the playoffs so far.

16. blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I’m a bit peeved (or Peavyed) at this author, whom I usually like. The problem with instant analysis is that it usually is wrong due to the lack of reflection. In any event, here is what he had to say about the Giants win; Bochy decisions; Romo; Peavy; and, the Nats . . .

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 5:59 pm

* Of course, at Flap Universe Central, we are the exception. πŸ™‚

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Hope you guys know that I patented “Flap Universe.” πŸ˜†

And as WillieD said, this has to make it onto the next Flapalooza (you know there will be one) t-shirt.

17. SanDawg said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Great pic of 2 great Flappers hooking up in Hanoi! Hats off to both you fine Gents!
    Great win today. Caught the tail end at a bar not far from my school after I got off work. Love Belt’s understated reaction when he recorded the final out. For a second there he had me thinking it was maybe the end of the 8th and not the 9th. Love that the team is not surprised by their success and gets it that there muchmore to be done before any big-time celebrating takes place.
    Tim Hudcecum is gold IMO. Nicely played Loo, as usual.

• DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Thanks, Dawg.
      I really do believe in Hudcecum,
      Step on their throats tomorrow…

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Yep. I was onboard with you a few threads back, when you first mentioned it, Loo. I bet Timmy is chomping at the bit for the opportunity, too.

18. gianthead said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Go fucking Cards!

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Stl comes back on Keyshaw. Dude can keep the cy youngs. Bumgarner has dominated when it matters most.

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Agree Dirt. And any pitcher worth his salt would trade all of those regular season accolades for a WS ring!

I’d take Big Country any day.

20. DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Jack Buck would not believe what he just saw!

21. gianthead said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Blade, you still alive??????

This is almost better than watching us win!

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Yep. Early morning here. Just had breakfast and did my “in room” workout. No gym . . . Sigh.

22. DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Donde esta El Gallo?

23. DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Here’s an appropriate game that The Rooster might enjoy playing this evening:

• DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Whoops! Ages 5 & up.
      Maybe in a year or two…

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Classic shit, Loo. You have got me seriously laughing out loud.

• DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I have a lot of time on my hands, Chi…

24. DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Neshek is the pitching version of Hunter Pence…

25. DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Jesus Christ, bring in Barney Schultz…

26. pawliekokonuts said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Phuck. Who cares. Let LA-STL go on for 23 innings.

27. pawliekokonuts said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

#pp Plunk Puig

28. Macdog said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:36 pm

YEAH AGAIN!!!

29. pawliekokonuts said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha Puig strands tying run at 3rd with a whiff. Hahahahahahahahaha.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:41 pm

and Dodger fans praying in unison. That kid doing the cross thing over and over cracked me up (sorry, I’m not religious in the slightest, I don’t know what that’s called).

30. stickman said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Whatta day. Perfect excuse to take the day off from homesteading duties outdoors as temp dropped to low 30’s after mid 60’s yesterday. It was complete with off and on rain,snow and sleet with a 30 mph NNW wind howling away. Kept the wood cookstove fired up all day. Cooking down some chancy tomatoes at a slow boil. Then steamed up a couple squash. Then stewed a modest pot of pinto beans. Tomatoes still stewing and stove has been fed and fed and fed.

Fed myself half an hour ago. My refried beans begin with some lard at the bottom of the pan, followed by a garden onion, three varietals of peppers, ten fresh and juicy tomatillos, a bit of my dried oregano, some cumin, good dashes of turmeric, splash of paisano red, few slices cut finer of crystallized ginger, nice dollop of garlic ~ and ultimately freshly mashed pintos and half a small squash ~ also from the garden.

The blend simmered for about 1.5 hours and then it was time to cut up a couple cherokee purple tomatoes for a topping and toast lightly the first flour tortilla atop the wood range. Ended up eating four burrito sized entities. Fresh cold well-water for a wash. (the brandy followed the victory).

Perfect coda for an indoor day in the old shack, all centered on a 3-2 win. Tuxedo cat “U-Boat” cuddling on the lap just springing off as i write about him. Sometimes pussy is waaay too telepathic. Nice warm feeling overall here in the dank, chilly northwoods evening. Fun to share with the Flap.

• Flavor said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:43 pm

jesus, that sounds really good.

• DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I think I want to move in with him.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:48 pm

so lyrical

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Lots of good posts today. This one too, plus it made me hungry as hell (and I just had breakfast 2 hours ago).

31. blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Just caught the douchebag game. Awesome result. Troll Universe can’t be too happy about that. πŸ˜‰

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Great minds think alike. The trolls can do what they do best….Smoke some Pole! 😈

32. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Caught the last inning and a half of the Card-bumbino game. Puig down swinging to end it…Sweet Fucking Poetic Justice. Just seeing the smell-a crowd and those bum uniforms reminded me how much I hate that fucking team.

BEAT L.A.!

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I will be soooo happy if we continue on and the Bums are eliminated. What sweet revenge that will be after those troll assholes sullied the Flap with their idiotic presence this season.

33. wswins said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Only pitcher in MLB post season history to give up 7+ earned runs in consecutive starts…C. Kershaw…wow

• zumiee said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:52 pm

1-4 career post-season record now, ERA something like 5.25. Most of the damage done by the Cardinals.

• chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Could not happen to anyone better.

34. blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Dirt, your earlier post about Kershaw is spot on. Keep the awards – our team is all about collecting WSs.

• DJLoo said, on October 3, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Nice to see you’ve shrugged off that little 56 year drought…

• blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Complete “Manchurian Candidate” hard drive delete Loo.

35. chipower9 said, on October 3, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Enjoy, Blade and Paul. I’m checking out for now. Gonna head back to the hotel and catch the end of the AL game.

Catch ya on the flip-side FU!

36. zumiee said, on October 3, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I got a kick out of Werth’s awesomely bad throw trying to throw out Pence. Belt’s hit was a single, and Werth’s throw home bounced on the infield dirt between firstbase and secondbase and then kind of dribbled home. When the ball was first hit, I thought it was going to be a close play at home.

37. stickman said, on October 3, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Could you have asked for a better one-two combo today? Giants squeeze the Nats and Cards outblast the LaBumbos with both Wainwright and Kershaw getting slapped around like cheap pinatas. After the way the Orioles have been douching Detroit could we possibly be looking at an all Black and Orange October? It might be the first time two similarly color arrayed teams ever met in the Fall Classic. But waay too early to be counting chickens ~ just glad things turned out the way they did today.

38. Macdog said, on October 3, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I heard the final out on the radio on my way home, right around the same stretch of road where I heard Uribe go deep in Game 6 of the NLCS four years ago.

39. unca_chuck said, on October 3, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Yeah, can’t get enough of these highlights. I left work when the bottom of the 9th was starting (on fricking GameCast) and when I got to the car, the post game had already started. I had a sinking feeling for about 3 seconds that I missed a quick single/home run and we lost. Gladly, it was a quick inning of no stress.

And for once I taped a game and we won! Well, I taped the game, and the post game, and still didn’t reach the end of the game. Missed the 9th . . .

Dogs go down (yes!). Deetroit goes down to the O’s (yes!)

40. blade3colorado said, on October 3, 2014 at 9:15 pm

RHP Hudson is 18-5 with a 2.35 ERA in his career against Washington. Only RF Jayson Werth has a good track record: .386, four homers, 12 RBIs. Pence is 8 for 20 with two homers against Zimmermann.

41. snarkk said, on October 3, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Where’s good ‘ol Phlaboxxl or whatever his idiot name is?
    Disappears when LA bites it…

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2014 at 3:51 am

Agree snarkk . . . That’s weak that the MOFO disappears when his team gets reamed in the ass. In short, nothing but a troll piece of shit. Rooster gets a pass because he’s a standup guy and doesn’t make a fool of himself. I’m almost certain he’ll show up and give his opinion of what happened to the Dodgers (and it will be fair minded).

42. Macdog said, on October 3, 2014 at 9:46 pm

If it’s a K.C. playoff game, then it must be extra innings.

43. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2014 at 3:41 am

No idea what this LA Times hack is talking about, i.e., saying Kershaw deserved a better fate. Bullshit! He sucked pole and when Mattingly went out to see if he should be taken out – Kershaw told him he wanted to stay in. Pfffttt! Dude poured more gasoline on his own fire. In my opinion, Kershaw got what he deserved.

44. chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 5:26 am

Good Morning FL (think Robin Williams “Goooood Mornnning Vietnam”). Hell of a day yestersay.

Is 386 a record on comments? Probably not, but dam there were some great ones yesterday.

Getting ready to hit my favorite breakfast spot in Scottsdale this morn, then off to hike around Sedona. Will wrap-up my hike in time to find a local sports bar to watch round 2 with the natty nats.

Let’s Roll!

Let’s Get it On!

Orange and Black Forever – GO GIANTS!!!

Make it an awesome day, FU! Sa-LUTE!

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2014 at 6:17 am

Cool Chi. I just left Paul (we had dinner at a Chinese place). Having coffee and catching up with emails, etc. Paul indicated he is going to hang until 2am and watch the game.

45. willedav said, on October 4, 2014 at 8:26 am

Wow, great read on FU. Missed all of yesterday due to work and b-ball. Missed Pit game too—when I hit radio after work it was 7-0 Bum, so figured I wouldn’t hex anything. Today likely miss at least first half, so…hmmnn.

Did not remember Dave Werth…who hit .300 one year limited action for Yanks, followed next year by 6 for 51 .109 and year later out of baseball. Nice call on Panik Loo. We’ll see about Hudcecum.

Jenkins today overly harsh on Beane imo, but revolving door act of A’s players must take a toll, esp on fan base. Would you take Cespedes as Morse replacement?

46. Alleykat said, on October 4, 2014 at 8:57 am

Who wouldn’t take Cespedes over Morse? Even if he butchers a ball in LF, like Morse does, he could still throw a runner out at the plate from the foul pole!
    But I would use him in CF with his cannon and speed, with Pagan sliding over to LF.
    Pagan LF
    Cespedes CF
    Pence RF
    2 great arms in CF and RF and an Ok arm in LF who can track down more balls in LF then what we have now.