A Perfect Fall Weekend

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 4, 2014

Yesterday was just a very satisfying day of baseball, don’t you think?

After becoming the first pitcher in the history of baseball to give up 7 or more runs in consecutive post season appearances, my buddy said to me, “He’s becoming the ‘Peyton Manning’ of baseball.” I said, “Not so fast, he still hasn’t won anything yet. At least Peyton has one ring.”

Today’s game is important but not critical. I expect the Nats to be playing with an even tighter grip today, knowing they don’t want to go down 0-2 and have to fly across the country to face Big Country in an elimination game….

What a fantastic weekend of Bay Area sports we have to look forward to. The Cardinal play one of my all time hated college teams today (2nd only to USC), Cal travels to WAZU to a loss (try to keep the opposition under 3 digits Cal defense), obviously we have the Giants game, and tomorrow Alex Smith and Loo’s Chiefs come in to take on my Niners. Throw in a full day of fanduel.com tomorrow and it’s quite likely I’ll need a new couch on Monday……

1. Macdog said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Just when I think this team can’t astound me anymore . . . absolutely incredible.

2. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Frickin’ pony express just arrived with the news. lqtm . . . Nice win indeed!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Baha. Nice.

3. wswins said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:05 pm

So Happy that kid comes back the next day and closes it out

4. chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Unreal! This is definitely right up as one of the best all time Giant games. The pitching was unworldly!

Wow…I’m fucking exhausted. I thought my hike in Sedona wiped me out, but this game kicked my ass! WHEW…

5. blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm

A perfect day would be the Cards catching and then passing the Bums today. 2-0 Doghairs are leading in the 6th.

6. WilcoJoe said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Strickland mixed it up a bit more against the LH’s and it paid off.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Petit deserving some POTG gloss.

8. Flavor said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:10 pm

with all due respect to Loo’s Tim Hudcicum call, I’ll go with “Hudtit.” Those 2 fucking got it done.

• DJLoo said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:15 pm

No doubt. Hope there won’t be any need for Vogelcum….

• Macdog said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Haha, nice. Yes, let’s not forget Huddy.

9. sportdude said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Fuck yay. That was just the Best. Belt upper deck shot was EPIC!!!!

10. DJLoo said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Cards tie it!!!

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Cards will win Loo. Book it.

• blade3colorado said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Monk told me, “It is written.”

11. Macdog said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Greinke out, Cards tie it!

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 4, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Game like that. War of attrition. Bochy.

13. chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Well, after that fucking marathon, I am having a drink or three. Moscow Mule please. Make it a double! Thank goodness there is a kick-ass sports bar right next to my hotel. Life is GOOD. Fuck that…life is GRAND.

SO proud of this team. What a gutsy grind it out win against the best team in baseball. Well, best in the NL, at least, you know, if you listen to the “experts.” 😉

14. chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:07 pm

And with that, I have one thing to say. The dodgers SUCK!

15. DJLoo said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Fuck Fat Erv…

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:19 pm

You referring to Magic, Loo? If so, I agree. If not, fuck him too!

• DJLoo said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Yes I am, Chi. Never liked him.

16. snarkk said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Missed basically the whole thing, except the last two innings on the radio. Looks and reads like a fantastic game. And, my boy Belt came through with the biggest hit of his young career. Giants. WTF NOT?…

17. chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:17 pm

You know, IF we advance, I really don’t give a shit who our boys face next. I think we match-up better with the DeadBirds. But if it ends up being the fucktard bambinos of lala land, so be it, as I always feel like we owe them a good ass-whoopin’!

• DJLoo said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Maybe it’s time this generation had a Giant-Dodger showdown…

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I have already had a few, Loo, but sure, bring it on. I like this team against ANYONE.

18. DJLoo said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Not official yet, but it sounds like Monday will be the early game.
    You west coast boys may have to follow from your desks again.

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:47 pm

That FUCKING SUCKS! Someone (whoever is setting the duck get schedule), needs their ass kicked!

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Yeah, you’d think MLB could find a little prime-time once in a while for the team that won 2 of the last 4 World Series.

• zumiee said, on October 4, 2014 at 11:00 pm

The Giants got prime-time for the Wild Card game, but MLB HAD to give them prime-time that night; it was the only game that entire day.

19. snarkk said, on October 4, 2014 at 11:02 pm

So, pitch Bum on Monday to close it out, or Voggy, and see if you can win it to save Bum for game 1 of NLCS?…

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Bum on Monday.

• snarkk said, on October 4, 2014 at 11:11 pm

You don’t want them to get any momentum. I can dig that POV…

20. snarkk said, on October 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm

The more I read about this game, the more I’m impressed by the pitching and defensive effort. Huddy conjured younger days. Petit was just awesome, earned himself some cash in the future under as much pressure as you can be under as a pitcher. And, the Pen guys got it all done — 10+ innings of shutout ball…

21. snarkk said, on October 4, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I like this post-game statement by Belt a lot.

–Belt charmed reporters as the Giants’ representative in the interview room. When asked if he was 100 percent after his concussion, he said, “I think so. I am not sure how good my normal was before the concussion.” And asked about the rookies contributing, he said, “There is a lot of hazing that goes on in Major League Baseball. Not hazing, but the older guys give the younger guys a hard time. It seems like here, it doesn’t matter who you are, you are treated like one of the team. You are treated just like everybody else. I think that helps your psyche: ‘I am not some peon out here. I get to actually help out. I think that helps the mentality a bit.”

• chipower9 said, on October 4, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Well said by BB9. I just love the way this team “carries itself.” No bullshit hype like you see from the bums. Just a very workman-like attitude, top to bottom. A quiet confidence that they are in every game…

22. Nipper said, on October 5, 2014 at 12:53 am

Bravo!

23. blade3colorado said, on October 5, 2014 at 2:00 am

Apologize Loo about the guaranteed Cards win . . . I have hunted down the Vietnamese Monk that fucked up the prediction and gotten my money back that I had donated to his monastery. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on October 5, 2014 at 6:52 am

Well, it wasn’t the only hiccup in the sports world, yesterday. My Sooners lost to the TCU Horned Toads. But with the Giants taking two from the natty nats in D.C., that sure as hell softened the blow.

I wake this morning and that marathon that, with the exception of two innings on the boob tube, I listened to in it’s entirety (on ESPN radio – that was as tortuous as the game itself), is almost like a hazy dream. I will head out to my favorite breakfast spot in Scottsdale this morn, and read as much as I can about the game, and savor it all over again.

• blade3colorado said, on October 5, 2014 at 7:41 am

Paul found out about a network (Fox Asia) that is carrying the games. Monday, I will try to watch it.

24. pawliekokonuts said, on October 5, 2014 at 7:11 am

I just wrote a long post. It kicked me out. Anyway. Great comments. Great game. Mo’ later. Nap time. Hung over. But in a sober way, a good way. Hung over with delirium, pride, marathonitis, gratitude.