The Giants Can’t Hit. Reaaaallllyyyyy?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 7, 2014

I was watching ESPN early this morning. They were showing highlights of the Dodgers losing again. After that, the talking heads got together and blathered out a theme of “the Giants look like they might be in trouble.” One of the guys said it with a sly looking smile on his face.

That’s really some great insight, Jerkoff. The Giants are in trouble? Why? Because they lost their first post season game in their last eleven? Actually, his reasoning was “The Nats look like they’ve finally got their pitching in order.”

Really? The Giants have scored 6 runs in this series. I think the Nats pitching has been “in order” since Game 1. Anyone with a brain knew the Giants were going to be run-challenged in this post season. The Giants can’t hit? Jimmy crack corn and they don’t care. Did Flavor really just drop a “Jimmy crack corn” on us? Fuckin’ right I did. I’ll throw any pitch at any time……

And I don’t need some ESPN dickhead in a suit telling me what the Giants shortcomings are. The team knows what they are better than anyone. It’s probably one of the things that fuels them.Because I guarantee you that the views of dipshit blowhards on tv go a long way towards motivating our players. And sometimes, that type of motivation can go a long way.

Gio Gonzalez is nobody’s big game pitcher. I’d take Voggy and his raggedy-ass arm over him any day. Sprinkle some nails over your Cheerios, dawg, and go get ’em……

1. unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I think this totally works in our favor to start this on the road.

• Alleykat said, on October 7, 2014 at 10:53 pm

I think what’s really cool is your dog Chuck, cause instead of 3 tennis balls, she can go full gold grill,with 3 W/S rings in her mouth!

• unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Too funny . . . I’ll paint the next round of tennis balls gold.

2. pawliekokonuts said, on October 7, 2014 at 10:46 pm

On ESPN radio, John Kruk gave the Giants good respect and praise; he often does. He said no one finishes better than the Giants. That’s his word. Finishes. He said no team in the last five years has finished better in the postseason. The context of his remark was that the error by Gio Gonzalez and no one fielding Vogey’s bunt were the difference, that you can’t do that with the Giants; they will take advantage of it. So proud of this team. A familiar refrain every other year: not the best on paper, but they know how to win. Or finish.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on October 7, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Is this a record number of comments?

4. pawliekokonuts said, on October 7, 2014 at 10:48 pm

How will I ever calm down and go to bed? Good thing I’m a flaneur, a boulevardier. Where’s TedSpe, Ferret, MrMrBill, and a host of others? C’mon in! Even MiketheLurker. Jump in the pool. The water’s fine.

5. unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Pawlie, if I remember correctly, Kruk was on-board way back in 2010 as the Giants were a team you’d be foolish to overlook. In a sea of brush-offs, he backed them.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:08 pm

that’s my recollection too, Chuck

6. unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:05 pm

I just can”t get over this. It’s fucking amazing. Peavy comes here and kicks major ass to pick up when Cain goes down. Huddy regains his early season form to reach his first championship series. TImmy goes to the pen. Casilla comes back from the stupidest self-inflicted injury in recent history, Angel and Belt stagger through injury-plagued years, the Dan Uggle experience turns into the Panik Attack, THere are nearly a million stories in this season, and this feels even more bizarre than 2010. That team had unstoppable pitching. This team has been up, down, sideways, buried, counted out, resurgent, and as of now, one of the best teams in the league.

I kind of feel like the old Niner days where you think, shit, we’ve passed the NFC championship game, the hard part, the rest should be a cruise. I’m sure it won;t be. That ain;t the way we play. But, like beating the Philles way back in 2010, if feels like the rest shouldn’tt be too tough.

• blade3colorado said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Perfect summary Chuck. I don’t think anyone could have provided a better description then what you just wrote. Nice.

• unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Just had a couple fingers of Bullleitt . . All is right with the world,

Thaks Steve. What time is it?

• blade3colorado said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:18 pm

About 1:15pm (afternoon).

• unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:41 pm

How was the massage? (wink wink niudge nudge)

7. zumiee said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:06 pm

If you want to get your schadenfreude on, here’s a Dodger blog tonight, called True Blue L.A.
    Is there anything tastier than the tears of Dodger fans?

• zumiee said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:11 pm

A sample of the comments:

God, this is awful 😦

by John Cassillo on Oct 7, 2014 | 5:16 PM reply

There will be changes for this ugly end. But no matter what happens….
      LA Dodgers for life.

by getAcLew on Oct 7, 2014 | 5:17 PM reply

Another year with the Giants and the Cardinals in the NLCS… got I hate life right now.

by Christ0v on Oct 7, 2014 | 5:18 PM reply

• blade3colorado said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Hahaha. Eat shit doghairs.

• snarkk said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Gotta luv the 5:18 post.
      Ned Colletti has a lot of bodies to juggle in the offseason. And, maybe a manager…

8. unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Having lived through a ton of disappointing seasons, i ALMOST feel for them.

Then again, FUCK LA!!!

9. unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:24 pm

As fucked up as this seaosn was, I don;t thinkthey shit can Donnie 2x.

10. zumiee said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:30 pm

How funny that Puig didn’t even bat in the game tonight. He only got in as a pinch runner. Ha, you know that dude is pouting right now. Just add it to an already toxic L.A. clubhouse.

• unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:31 pm

If they were smart, they would trade Puig.

• zumiee said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I’m guessing 2x would love to. Puig was only bearable to 2x when he was performing great; but he wasn’t great in the second half of the season. He often wasn’t even good.

• unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:42 pm

No better time than now. If they keep Donnie, they may just trade Ms. Puiggie.

11. unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Just unreal that Kershaw was the guy who failed in the end. Then again, Mattingly should have has some kind of plan in game 1.

12. snarkk said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Talk about pitching.
    In this series, Werth and Laroche went for a combined 2 for 35…

• unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:32 pm

0 home runs, ZERO RBIs. Harper and Renton were the only ones hitting for Wash.

13. unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:34 pm

The little toddler standing 2″ away from Pence when he catches that ball is just too funny.

She’ll tell her grandkids that story for the rest of her life.

• zumiee said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:36 pm

It was such a gutsy play by Pence. If he misses that, Werth may have ended up on third.

• unca_chuck said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Shit.depending on the bounce, it may have been an inside the parker.

• zumiee said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Good point.

14. zumiee said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Josh Beckett retired after the Dodger game tonight. He threw a no-hitter this year, but was racked by injuries. His body just had had enough of pitching.
    He had a terrific career:
    “Beckett pitched 14 seasons in the majors, going 138-106 with a 3.88 ERA, a 111 ERA+, with 1,901 strikeouts in 2,051 innings. He was 7-3 with a 3.07 ERA in 14 postseason games, including 13 starts, and won World Series with the Marlins in 2003 and the Red Sox in 2007, capturing World Series MVP in 2003 and ALCS MVP in 2007.”

15. snarkk said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Watching the highlights of the final out, I like watching the coaches congratulate and hug each other more than watching the players. For the coaches, it’s a “knowing dude head nod” kind of deal…

16. zumiee said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:47 pm

More comments from True Blue L.A., just because. 🙂

I wish I had something poetic and nice to say like HJ, but man that series was like fucking a toilet paper roll lined with 15 of the things that line the top of a coke bottle after you twist off the top.

It broke my heart when Vinnie started the Dodgers 2014 eulogy with one out in the 9th. But since he did, I knew we were done, the false hope rally didn’t hurt.

Ned and Don should go, it’s time to see what some different ideas can do. This team, purely on financial resources, should make the playoffs every year. Would be nice to make it farther. But fuck it, it’s Dodgertown.

@fiddlestick817

by Tim Crews’ Dastardly Mustache on Oct 7, 2014 | 10:33 PM reply

Donnie just kept making moves out of what seemed like pure desperation. His hands were somewhat tied in that he could only do what he could with the guys he had, but the last couple games showed that he felt he had no control over the team, so he was just closing his eyes and throwing at a dartboard. I like him and think he’s acceptable as a manager, but I think it’s time to move on.

“It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard… is what makes it great.”

by Nolij on Oct 7, 2014 | 10:37 PM up reply

94 wins. A couple of head scratching decisions but none that in my opinion can’t be argued for. A key hit, execution of a pitch, and we’re still in it.
    I think the biggest misstep was in the make up of the roster, both regular and post season.

by Freddy V on Oct 7, 2014 | 10:42 PM up reply

I will say this
    whatever Donnie did wrong and whatever he did right, if he goes, Ned should go too. Otherwise it doesn’t seem fair to me.

It’ll be like the Jets firing Rex Ryan (ok maybe not the greatest comp) but then keeping their GM. If they want to start over in a different direct, Kasten and co. need to remove the guy who put the pen together over the past 2 seasons and the guy who has a vision instead of just mixing and matching—feels like he’s the one who really throws darts more than Mattingly. (Not that all his moves are bad at all mind you, but he just doesn’t have a vision, and did a poor job of assembling a bullpen.)

“I forgot my mantra.”

by underdog on Oct 7, 2014 | 11:14 PM up reply

Maybe Ned, instead of overpaying for the likes of Andrew Miller this year, could have added pieces like Miller and other journeymen in previous years and developed a bullpen. It’s just been an organizational failure to develop relievers and inning-eater type pitchers the last few years.

Uhh, fly at 11

by Pure Azure on Oct 7, 2014 | 11:25 PM up reply

Where is the vision in signing Alex Guerrero, for example, a weak defensive player and unproven major league hitter? They seem not to even have
    a place for him now, but maybe it will work out. I guess you gather pieces and fit some in and throw away the rest or use them for filler.

by Freddy V on Oct 7, 2014 | 11:37 PM up reply

17. chipower9 said, on October 7, 2014 at 11:57 pm

What an intense game. I’ve gone back and looked at most of the posts. The emotions in Flap Universe mirrored mine exactly. I just could not post during the game. I was in a rowdy-assed bar with a couple guys from work, and it was tough to think about texring/blogging. Between the game and checking out the fricking hotties that work there it was insane.

This team continues to amaze me. I am so damned happy to be a fan of the San Francisco Giants!

Sleep well, Flappers. and breathe easy tommorow, as our boys have the day off!

Bring on the DeadBirds and Let’s Get it On!

18. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:36 am

I love it. ESPN radio pundits are already picking the Cards. Speaking of Bumgarner, some ESPN schmo said that if the Cards can beat Kershaw twice, they can beat “this guy”. These tools never learn…

19. […] The rest of the article can be found here: THE San Francisco Giants Blog […]