‘Shoptawk’ with Daniel….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 8, 2014

I was approached by a St Louis blogger about doing a Q/A for our sites and thought it sounded fun. Here are the questions I generated for him (as well as some from Flap Universe). I had never actually conversed with a Cards fan before and I found his answers to be thoughtful and interesting. It’s always nice to see where the “other side” is coming from. I answered 10 questions for him, I’ll forward you the link to his blog if he writes a thread related to it. Daniel, if you’re reading this, the headline was generated by one of my vet bloggers, Mr Dr Loo…..

The blog owner is named Daniel Shoptaw and coincidentally he was interviewed by my main man Pawlie Kokonuts for his book Baseball’s Starry Night. Daniel is also one of the founding members of the Baseball Bloggers Alliance of which I am a member. I posted a link to his blog in the last thread and I’ll do so again in the comment section of this thread (he requested I do it that way to avoid this thread getting flagged at his work).

Sorry for having to piece the interview together, I couldn’t get it to copy and paste with his answers in red and I like that so I did it this way. I really appreciated the time Daniel took to answer all of our questions.

shop1

shop2

shop3

shop4

shop5

shop6

shop7

1. cardinal70 said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I appreciate Craig agreeing to this exchange and I’m hopeful my technical issues will clear up to post his great answers to my questions on my site tomorrow. If you have any other questions, I’ll try to pop in here from time to time to give you any answers I may have. Here’s to a great series!

• WilcoJoe said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:45 pm

That was a great read! Thanks to you and Craig for doing this. Look forward to hearing his answers on your site.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I second the congrats on this exchange. Great to hear some info about the oppo from a clued in fan. Should be a kick ass series…

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:21 am

I will echo the sentiments of others. That was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Thanks to both you and Flav for agreeing to do this, and to posting it. I look forward to seeing/reading the questions on your blog. And yes, here is to a good series. GO GIANTS!

2. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Daniel– you offering to do this went a long way towards easing some of my feelings about the Cardinals. And you gave us a perspective of the team that we couldn’t get anywhere else. Bottom line: I respect your team. They put themselves in a position to win every year and they do it with class and dignity. Who wouldn’t enjoy being a fan of a team like that?
    Secondary bottom line: Jose Oquendo will always be my sworn enemy. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 3:50 am

It’s so interesting to hear of someone hating the Secret Weapon, since he’s pretty revered in St. Louis not only for his playing days, but the fact that he’s been a coach for a decade at least. I understand what you are saying, just not used to it!

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:24 am

Again, thanks Daniel. It is interesting to get a read (pun intended) on the Cards. I grew up in Northeastern Oklahoma and was a Card fan as a kid (many nights listening to Harry Caray calling Cards games on a transistor radio). But I have been in CA and a Giant fan since ’77, so outside the occasional meetings between our teams, they are not on my radar often. Thanks again.

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:07 am

Glad to do it. That KMOX reach is one of the reasons Cardinal Nation is so spread out and, honestly, one of the reasons St. Louis can have the payroll that it does with the metro market that it does. Folks spend on the Cardinals from Iowa to Arkansas (I can attest to the latter personally!) and make their treks to Busch from states away. Not every team has that.

3. sarge said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Great read guys!! I thoroughly enjoyed the insight given from the other side. Aside from Matt Holliday who I will continue to boo lustily, I have a great measure of respect for the Cardinals organization. This promises to be a very tightly contested and well played series. And I can’t wait to watch.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Great post, Sarge. You post too infrequently, I hope the NLCS bumps up your posts here.

• sarge said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Thanks Flav! I will make an effort to post more often. I tried to post last night, but after typing my post it wouldn’t upload, so I just went took my sleeping pill and went to bed.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:25 pm

lol. well I appreciate the effort.

4. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:49 pm

From the last thread, I snagged that Pence-Fence-Jordan thing off a Pav tweet. I just looked at it for like 2 minutes, it’s blowing my mind. Tongue out, flexed like Jordan. It’s really incredible. That catch might turn into one of the enduring images that only a long time bay area sports fan can truly appreciate. It’s downright eerie.

5. paulinasia said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Yeah, that catch was legendary, and Pav and you have now elevated it iconically. Pence has always been the Motivator for the team, often just with his speeches and sometimes while he wasn’t necessarily performing well on the field. That catch? That changed everything. That snatched momentum that the Nats were building. I just hope he didn’t hurt anything….. Great exchange of comments with the “other side”..

6. pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Good stuff. Detente. Cards fan Dathan and I still exchange texts and have even voice-talked. And I’ve been on Cards fan podcasts. Mutual respect.

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 3:50 am

Should have had you on the show last night. Maybe next week!

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:18 am

I may have run out of interesting things to say. Maybe I’m saying that because it is before noon. Not my prime time.

7. Macdog said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:40 pm

What a great way to kick off the buildup to yet another highly anticipated NLCS showdown with the Cards. If it’s not too late, I have a question for Mr. Shoptaw:

What’s the secret to the Cardinals’ remarkable postseason success against Clayton Kershaw (and is there any chance they can pass the magic formula on to the Giants)? Also, will the Cards have an extra jolt of confidence going against a tough Giants staff after having twice slayed the seemingly invincible Kershaw?

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 3:55 am

Whatever the magic formula is, it apparently only works in fits and starts. After all, Kershaw shut down 16 in a row in Game 1 before the rally and I believe had held them to one hit before that magical seventh inning in Game 4. I think it’s most likely that this team is patient and doesn’t miss a pitch when he makes a mistake. Perhaps they have some scouting that helps, perhaps they’ve just had a little luck, I don’t know. Whatever it is, I like it!

Beating a guy like Kershaw can’t do anything but help the confidence. It can be a rallying cry if they are down in a game, exhorting folks to keep battling because they know what happens if they do. That said, the Cards also seem to have that ability to beat great pitchers and get shut down by mediocre ones.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 9, 2014 at 6:35 am

Sounds familiar.

• Macdog said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:58 am

Thanks, Daniel.

8. paulinasia said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Craig, Steve and I were talking last night at a bar, while also talking to a couple of the lovely staff, and I’ve got a Giants t-shirt that I’d love to get one of the girls to wear so we can take a pic and maybe have it be a good luck pic for the NLCS…. sound like a good idea? I’ll start scouting for suitable models….

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Nah, Paul, doesn’t sound good at all… 😉

• paulinasia said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Ha.

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:28 am

Wrong. I think snarkk had a few too many fingers of Makers. Sounds like a capital idea. Bring it…

9. zumiee said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:39 pm

It’s cool to hear what the Cardinal fan had to say. It seems clear that, overall, the Giant fans dislike the Cardinals more than the Cardinal fans dislike the Giants. But a Giants win in this series would even that out more.
    The Cardinals are my second or third least favorite baseball team every season, depending on how much I dislike the Yankees that year.
    I really can’t think of a single thing I like about the Cardinals, past, present, or future. Wait, there’s that one thing….uh, that one thing…..no, actually there isn’t one thing.

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:56 pm

zum, throwin’ down on the Cards!…

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 3:56 am

C’mon, they just beat the Dodgers! That’s gotta be a thing, right?

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:31 am

Yep. Beating the bums is one in my books. But as I have mentioned a few times, there was a part of me that wanted another shot at the dodgers, but I think the Giants match up better against the Cards. Things I remember about my early years as a Cards fan…Bob Gibson owning home plate and knocking hitters back endlessing. That, IMO is almost a lost art in the wonderful game of baseball.

10. zumiee said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:43 pm

OK, there is one good thing about the Cardinals. They knock the Dodgers out of the playoffs once in a while. That’s a cool thing.

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 3:57 am

Yeah! I’m sure there’s something else. I’ll think on it!

11. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I really do like the Cards uniforms. The redbirds on the bat is classic baseball. I like the Giants road uniforms, with the iconic SF script on the shirt the best. The home uniforms — eh, I like the cream color, but the GIANTS block type logo since just never has done much for me. The block font has been around for a pretty long while, with occasional tweeks. The alternative, I probably like the GIANTS in script better — but not by much. Probably not much you can do with the word GIANTS…

• sfsarge said, on October 9, 2014 at 12:13 am

Nice poster, my favorite of those is either the 62 or the 78….non Giants uniform I’m going to have to go with the Tigers, I don’t know why but I love that old english D. Not to be confused with the olde english 40.

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:33 am

Old English 40…LMAO. Sarge, I second Craig’s sentiments, and hope you find your way here more often.

• Nipper said, on October 9, 2014 at 6:25 am

Snarkk should tattoo something on his chest in Orange and Black.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:20 am

that is a cool poster; how’d you get it?

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:31 am

Just found it on the Web googling around…

12. […] Once the Giants had disposed of the Nationals and were set as the other half on the NLCS, I reached out to Craig of THE San Francisco Giants Blog (fine title until you note the URL) to see if he’d answer a few questions for me. Not only was he up for that, but he sent some my way as well, which you can check out over here. […]

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:37 am

Thanks for the link, Daniel. One last comment (for now) – I do admire the Cards organization. Top to bottom they regularly are competitive and they do it without a huge payroll. Truly one of the model organizations in MLB, IMO. I am not off to check out the questions on your blog. Thanks again.

13. cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 4:02 am

I was able to get back onto my site this morning, so here are the questions Craig graciously answered for me! http://www.cardsconclave.com/2014/10/09/giant-conversation-chatting-enemy/

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 5:38 am

Awesome Daniel. Now where are we with changing the subtitle of your blog to “Shoptawk with Daniel?” lqtm

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 5:54 am

I’ve had C70 At The Bat since the beginning. While I’ll admit “Shoptawk with Daniel” is pretty catchy, I’ll stick with the old standby. 😉

14. eddacker said, on October 9, 2014 at 6:53 am

bloggers of the world unite – what a great Xchange. And speaking of great – that photo of ‘The Catch’5 by, I think, a staff potog at the merc is uber perfecto. Hunter’s eyes all focused on the ball.

And he does look a little like a MJ leap – tongue and all.
    🙂

15. DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:58 am

Great job by both of you, but I’ve hated the Cards since Gibson intentionally hit Jim Ray Hart with a pitch that broke his shoulder in the nightcap of a DH on his first day in the majors. Then later in the year Hart returns and Card pitcher Curt Simmons beans him in the 9th with a 13-0 lead putting him out for the year.
    That’s forgivable? NEVER!

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:29 am

and I thought I had a good memory for obscure stuff

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:33 am

Now, that’s some good stuff right there.
      I have trouble remembering what happened in last night’s game…

16. paulinasia said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:04 am

If you’ve seen this article in Yahoo Sports, then nevermind, but a bit of a fun read about the Giants as constant underdogs and winners. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/the-san-francisco-giants-are-flourishing-as-underdogs-%E2%80%94-again-101026170.html

“Don’t need credit to win.” I’m going to look into making a T-shirt that says that……

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:26 am

Paul – if you do, I want one in Large. Seriously. Love that quote by Big Country. I am thinking that quote and “Flap Universe/FU” are the basics for the next generation of a Flapalooza shirt.

Looking forward to teh modeling picture, too.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:31 am

make it…via spreadshirt or cafepress or a host of other online places; yeah, do it, then sell it to the world

17. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:11 am

Just reading the questions and answers on Danie’s blog. Great job, Flav. I was surprised at your answer to the question about who you want at the plate with a runner on 2nd and one out. MudBug. Hey, he would be right up there for me, too. I think you could say him, Panik, Pence, enen potentially Pablo. Just an interesting answer. Back to Daniel’s blog to finish reading the Q&A…

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:26 am

I have a particular recollection of St. Louis being unable to get Crawford out the last time around. That answer seemed right up that alley.

• zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:03 am

Chi, I think the caveat on the question was that BF not list “one of the usual suspects.”

• WilcoJoe said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:44 am

Do we have “usual suspects” for that scenario?

• zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:46 am

Ha!… 🙂

18. blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:12 am

I just finished this sweet LA Times column by Bill Plaschke about the Bums . . . Here is one of many column gems, “The team with the richest payroll in baseball history turned out to be a beautifully detailed Cadillac without any tires, a $240-million clunker that couldn’t even finish the first October lap.”

No idea what will happen in our battle with the Cards, but I am still savoring our victory over the Nats and the Cards victory over the Dodgers.

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:32 am

Yep…read this yesterday. Screw dem bums. Hope you are having a good trip, Blade. Take care, bro.

19. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:14 am

I agree in some ways with Daniel regarding Jeffrey Leonard in the ’87 playoffs. Leonard’s taunting of the Cardinals was ill-advised and uncalled for (even though it later made for a great blog name) 🙂 The Giants were doing well in the series, so why do something that might stir up the Cardinals and their fans? And didn’t one of the Giants (Chili Davis maybe?) call St. Louis a cow-town, and that got a bunch of Cardinal fans banging cowbells in those last two games? The Cardinals won the last two games, and the series, and the Giants fans were left to wonder if the Giants had woken a sleeping dog with the taunts. Well, maybe that kind of stuff makes no real difference, but it does leave a lot of the fans wondering.
    That series had a lot of emotion for Giants fans. The first playoff appearance in 16 years. And to be up in the series 3-2, and then lose the final two games in shut-outs. Pre-2010, typical Giants fan heartbreaks.
    But after defeating the Cards in the playoffs in ’02 and ’12, all that ’87 stuff is water under the bridge, IMO.
    Yet somehow I retained a dislike of the Cards. Go figure. 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:30 am

Yeah, I recall all of that, and do not care. I LOVED The Hack Man…One Flap and all.

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:44 am

Of all games, baseball is the most fertile field where legends germinate and grow.
      The One Flap Down thing is stuff of legend, especially for a team where, at the time, it had been in the playoff wilderness for seemingly forever.
      I thought at the time it was cool, and I still do…

20. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:31 am

Not sure if you guys have seen it…good read on Casilla:

And I agree…this dude probably does not get enough credit.

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:39 am

Good article on Casilla. He doesn’t show emotion, usually. That’s why it’s hard to figure out if he’s ready to deal or ready to crater out there. Probably a good thing. When he’s got that 12-6 hammer curve working, that’s a devastating pitch…

21. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:42 am

I’d totally forgotten that Will Clark played with the Cardinals at the end of his career. He played well for them, too. Clark went out on a good note, putting up some good numbers.

22. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:45 am

If they’re up for it, it would be cool to see BF and Daniel cross-blog some more during the series, especially if the series goes 6 or 7 games.

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:48 am

great idea. I hope he’s up for it.

• DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:49 am

I hope ODB’s up for it…

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:50 am

I’d post on their blog, no insults. But, they apparently don’t allow, let’s say, “colorful” language… 😉

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:54 am

just pretend it’s The Splash and you’ll be fine. ODB is getting extra moderated during the NLCS.

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:58 am

I don’t see why not. Maybe some sort of exchange of thoughts after each game, or maybe the off days would work better. Let’s see what we can do!

23. DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:48 am

They also heisted Cepeda and Jack Clark from us. And who didn’t hate Herzog and LaRussa?

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:50 am

well “heisting” Clark from us (for David Green and Dave LaPoint) was more on us than them. We participated as incompetents in that trade.

• DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:55 am

Well they didn’t have to take advantage of us…

24. WilcoJoe said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:53 am

I just read Flav’s responses at Daniel’s blog and was surprised to see there were no comments. I have to admit, it is a somewhat confusing setup for a first time visitor. It appears there are multiple blogs within one page? It just seems very “busy”, with multiple blog links, twitter feeds, etc…

Of course, I may be overly comfortable with this blog since it’s really the only sports blog I read.

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:56 am

Let me see if I can sort it out.

The overall site is called The Cardinal Conclave. Within that umbrella, there are a number of different blogs, such as my C70 At The Bat. All the posts feed to the front page, so you can get a wide variety of opinions and writings, but you can also just go directly to a blog (such as cardsconclave.com/c70) and follow just that one person.

We don’t typically have many commenters, definitely nothing like the active community over here. I can only hope for something like that one day!

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:01 am

thanks. I’ll register today. Hopefully we can trade thoughts as the series ages.

• WilcoJoe said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

That makes sense. Thanks Daniel!

• DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:58 am

Maybe they’re all at a KKK meeting…

• WilcoJoe said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:09 am

Ha! Of course what are they going to say about us, the first time Beach Blanket Babylon does the national anthem. Maybe we should warn them.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:02 am

I’m really the same, WilcoJoe. I just come here. (No, ODB puns intended.) I have to limit how I waste my time.

25. Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:57 am

Here’s a good one from ODB and the spam filter. There are so many. Enjoy:
    Submitted on 2014/10/07 at 8:52 pm
    Posey: you are slower than a fucking shit coming out an asshole after a week of eating cheddar cheese

• DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:59 am

Superb!

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:20 am

I throw you a bone every now and again. I know you appreciate his skills

26. pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:00 am

I have to admit that in ’87 I felt Hack Man stirred a hornet’s nest and we got stung.

Loo, Whitey Herzog’s saying “getthefeckoutta here” to my little brother at Shea was classic but I wasn’t a big fan of him, maybe for that. I think I sent you the file that has that. Just search the doc for HERZOG.

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

Herzog, the White Rat. I didn’t like him, but could respect him, sort of.
      LaRussa, no. He didn’t know anything about the ‘roids. Not until Mac called him hours before coming clean to the public. Yeah, right. Supposedly one of the smartest managers ever in the game, with a “what, my teams used ‘roids?” golden ticket into the HOF, had no clue what was going on in his A’s or Cards clubhouse. In a word, weak…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:07 am

well, wait…the Giants brass and Dusty were any different or better??

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

No, they weren’t any different. Not one bit.
        Except, I’ve never heard Dusty blatantly deny he knew nothing about ‘roids with Bonds or in the clubhouse.
        He may have denied it, but I never heard it. And, he’s never going to the HOF, either…

27. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:00 am

Well, I tried to register to leave you a comment, Daniel, but was unsuccessful. It may be the firewall here at work. Will give it another shot later. Thanks again for sharing your insight from the other side.

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:05 am

Disqus can be a bit finicky at times. Hope you can get through over there.

28. snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:00 am

I’m with BF’s attitude on this playoff run.
    Everything since getting into the WC game is gravy.
    Sure, I want them to win the whole damn thing. But, with every segment they win, the level of satisfaction increases, not the need for more. This team is clearly the worst of the even year teams, and that was when they had Pagan. That they’ve gotten to the NLCS without him is amazing to me.
    I don’t think they should play Morse. He can be a PH, nothing more. They need the defense, given the scoring woes. One miscue in LF by Morse could decide a game. Ishi botched dealing with that Bum throwing error the other day, if Morse were out there he’d probably still be chasing it down…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

Gravy. Yup. Gravy. It was a decent poem by Raymond Carver about his own life. But shit I am replying to the wrong dude!!! His poem was essentially saying that 10 yrs of sobriety was gravy, it was all gravy. Where’d that expression gravy come from. Pour a Maker’s, snarkk!!! what’s with all the exclamation points or question marks?!?

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:14 am

Don’t know the “gravy” etymology. Unlikely it was Shakespearean, unless he was chewing on a turkey leg at the Old Globe and somebody gave him giblet gravy and it made it’s way into an obscure scene in Cymbeline or something.
        But, my explanation of it is that Gravy is extra.
        The stuff that makes the potatoes better than good.
        Anything fattening has to taste good, right?!…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:16 am

yes, I took your sense; good comment on that, by the way; see my link to the poem below, Tom. it’s all gravy, baby. And how was that guy in the Sixties, Wavy Gravy? Enough. Once again I’ve fuckin derailed a conversation. Just like 3D life.

29. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

Completely off topic, but we do discuss a fair amount of music here…Stevie Ray Vaughn and East Bay punksters (at least they started as a punk band) Green Day are part of the nominee class for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. SRV should have been in it a looooong time ago.

30. pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:15 am

GRAVY. snarkk’s 10:00am. I think GRAVY might have been published in The New Yorker just after Carver died, of lung cancer, I believe. Hell, I didn’t know he was so young, 50. Well, I was younger then. 50 probably seemed old to me then.

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:19 am

Good one.
      Some years back, after having jaw surgery and my jaws wired shut for 6 weeks, eating through a straw essentially, I finally had the wires out. The first thing I tentatively ate without a straw was mashed potatoes with a touch of turkey gravy.
      One of the best things I ever ate…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:24 am

good anecdote, which I seem to confuse with antidote

31. unca_chuck said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:17 am

I thought SRV went in a while ago. What about Bill Graham?

What’s the line? I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now?

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:59 am

Charlie – not certain, but I believe Graham was inducted a couple of years ago.

And good Dylan/Byrds reference.

32. snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:31 am

If, if, the Giants move onto the World Series (and BTW, WTF NOT?), who is the preferred opponent?
    I wouldn’t mind either one, I’m happy these two teams made it through for the first time in 3 decades. But, I prefer the Orioles. Though they wouldn’t be much of an HR threat at ATT, I think KC would give our pitching staff fits on the bags with that speed. The O’s would be a cool opponent, an East Coaster team. I’m “tired” of Midwest type WS opponents. And, the games would be back there in a great yard, and it would be the Orange and Black vs. the Black and Orange. How could we tell in the stands who was rooting for whom?…

33. pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 10:35 am

KC scares me. They are FUN to watch and play with abandon. I am rooting for them in that series. But I don’t know if I’d want to play them. Great underdogs. And loose as GRAVY.

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:19 am

plus, you’ll remember they kicked our ass at their house this Summer. We do not match up well with them.

34. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:00 am

Morse is doing a rehab tonight with the Scottsdale Scorpions. They are playing in Surprise (about a 45 minute drive) so doubt I will go. Probably hang out and get ready for the trip home tomorrow (which cannot come fast enough). Two weeks is a long-assed time to be gone. I miss my woman, my bed, and my dogs…

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:14 am

Morse wasn’t doing Jack for the last few months of the season power-wise. I don’t see busting a gut to put him in LF for this series coming off an oblique and not playing for 6 weeks. Belt took a week or more to get up to speed when he came back. The Cards starters are all RH, so I can see Ishi continuing to play LF for the defense and for being a LHB. Morse can pinch hit in an RBI situation. Unless he’s got some “ownage” on one of the starters, which I doubt, since he’s been in the AL mostly…

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:18 am

I agree, but do think he is a good addition to the 25 as a PHer. He will represeent the only real power they have off the bench. Sure he hasn’t seen pitching in a month or so, but he could run into one.

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:22 am

I find it weird that I continue to endorse Ishi to start anywhere on this squad, let alone LF…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 1:48 pm

“I miss my woman, my bed, and my dogs…” I won’t ask you to declare in what order, Chi, though I met your woman last year so she is surely first. (But I know how a dog can own one’s heart.)

35. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:03 am

Speaking of the Fall League, it was uneventful. Only Giant playing was a kid named Kelby Tomlinson who was playing 3rd. Not a good showing…he seemed slow. Let a grounder go through on a dive that I felt he should have at least smothered, and then he was slow to start a 5-4-3 DP, and both runners ended up being safe. He also made a base-running gaff and got caught in a run down. Daniel Carbonell (the young Cuban) did not crack the line-up (at least before we left). I went with a couple of guys from work, and we left after the 7th, and went and had a nightcap at the sports bar by the hotel.

36. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:10 am

I am usually not a Ratto fan, but I thought this mock conversation between Sabean and the Devil was pretty damned funny.

37. Bozo said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:19 am

Good stuff from both Flav and C70. St Louis, the land of Willie McGee and the Bowling Hall of Fame. Had a good steak at a place on Laclede’s Landing back in the 80s, and ah, well…that’s all I’ve got…
    Go Giants.

38. wswins said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:23 am

50% of Morse is better than 100% of the other choices for LF, and btw, Morse said he feels 100% for the first time in months…

The G’s own the Cardinals to a 700 win % in the post season…Don’t look now, but the G’s will win their 3rd WS in 5 years…

39. Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:24 am

Well, we’re 4-0 in our last 4 NLCS. Getting pretty used to winning that bad boy. Last loss was ’87 to Redbirds. I know you all know that but I’m just trying to wrap my brain around where we’re at right now in the context of our history as a franchise.

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:40 am

Well, last time the Giants had a run like this was in the 19-teens (think they won three in a row), and again in the 20s when they won a couple back-to-back. So, from a historical perspective, pretty significant even going back to the beginning of the club in NY.

40. snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:28 am

The all Right Hander starting rota for the Cards is a very good thing for the Gmen.
    Blanco might even get a few hits…

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 12:05 pm

The Cards do carry three left-handers: Randy Choate, who is your basic LOOGY (and will get his guy about 60% of the time, maybe 70%), Sam Freeman, who will also be used more situationally, though he might go a whole inning, and Marco Gonzales. Gonzales was the first round pick of the Cards in the ’13 draft and actually vultured two wins in the NLDS. He’s a starter normally, so he can go 2-3 innings without an issue if necessary.

Still, that relies on Mike Matheny to know when to bring them in and how long to leave them in. That’s not always a slam dunk.

• blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2014 at 5:33 pm

What’s your take on Taveras? I play a lot of FL and frankly, he didn’t make much of an impression. I’m wondering if he is going to suffer Rasmus’s fate (another phenom of the Cards).

Same question regarding Wong (again, he had his moments, but for the most part – face planted for much of the season). Thanks . . .

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 5:59 pm

These days, when a highly touted prospect doesn’t come up and make an immediate impact, we tend to worry that he never will. While that’s still a strong possibility for both Taveras and Wong, I think in the long run they’ll be OK.

Neither of them have been done any favors by Matheny’s playing time decisions. Wong got more consistent appearances in the second half of the season, but when he and the offense started the year slow, he got the blame and wound up in Memphis. If Mark Ellis had been able to do anything approaching major league average, Wong might still be buried on the bench.

I’m not sure that Wong will ever hit .300 or anything like that, but I could see him settling into a .275 BA with maybe a .330 or so OBP and about 10 HR a year. Average to above average at the plate and strong in the field. Will that happen next year? Maybe. I hope that the Cards will stick with him to make sure it happens.

As for Taveras, he’s been behind the eight ball a lot this season and, when he’s been relatively unblocked, he’s still struggled. First it was Matheny using Allen Craig even when it was obvious Craig wasn’t himself, then when John Mozeliak shipped out Craig (in part to make sure Matheny stopped using him), Taveras couldn’t shine enough to claim the regular spot. Randal Grichuk has stepped up in September and now Taveras is, again, the odd man out.

I think next season you’ll see Taveras as the regular right fielder and I think he has a great chance of being a star in this league. We forget Mike Trout struggled in his first partial season and while Taveras likely will never be that great, he’s drawn too many comparisons and shown too much in the minors to be completely written off. Taveras has also taken well to the pinch-hitting role, coming up with some big hits at times, and I think that’ll be what you’ll see out of him in this series.

41. snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:32 am

Anybody think Bochy is a lock now for the HOF?
    2 WS wins at least, and 3 NLCS appearances in 5 years; plus his WS appearance with the Pads. And, he may be top 15 all time in wins by the time he’s done. He accomplished that with inferior overall team talent compared to Joe Torre or even LaRussa. And one more WS win already than LaSorda and Cox. And, not even arrested for beating his wife like Cox was. I think he gets in now regardless of what happens the rest of this post season…

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:41 am

I believe he is.

• blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Yes and IMO, he will be a relatively easy approval for the HOF.

42. wswins said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:44 am

Umpire crew for the NLCS…

Gerry Davis, Mark Carlson, Phil Cuzzi, Paul Emmel, Greg Gibson, Bill Miller and Bill Welke. 7 umps? An alternate?

My question is…how the hell does Cuzzi deserve to be there?

43. unca_chuck said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:58 am

I spent 3 hours in the St Louis airport in August of 1979. Back when you still exited onto the tarmac and walked (ran) to the terminal.

It was 103º and raining. Felt like being underwater. That’s all I got for St. Loo.

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Must have been a cooling trend?…

• unca_chuck said, on October 9, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Yeah, the ice age was definitely setting in.

44. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Reading some history on the Giants. Thought this paragraph interesting (references the 1906 season.

Finishing the season with a 106-47 record, the Giants take the pennant over the Cubs by 10 games. In what would have been the second World Series, McGraw and team owner John Brush, (who bought the team in 1902) opt not to play for the “Championship” against the American League winning Boston Red Sox, referring to the new American League as a “minor league”. This was the first of only two times that the World Series would not be played in its history. After some changes to the format of the Series, the Giants face the Philadelphia Athletics the following year. They take the championship 4 games to 1, (with each game being a shutout) for their first World Series crown.

I laughed in reading about McGraw and the owner not being willing to play the American League that year. Until the American League pulls their heads out of their ass and gets rid of the DH, they will always be an abomination of “real baseball.”

45. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Pawlie, Wavy Gravy is now part-owner or full-owner of a ranch in Laytonville, CA. (4 hour drive north from San Francisco) that is used for music festivals. Not huge festivals. About the 2000-3000 person range. I’ve been to the annual Kate Wolf Festival there a few times. The Kate Wolf Festival is in June, and Laytonville often hits 100+ degrees in June. The festival is awesome, but a person definitely has to constantly hydrate, wear a hat, cover their neck with a wet towel, use sunscreen, and any other strategies to deal with heat.
    Ah, but when the sun finally goes down, and the cool of the mountains kicks in, it’s incredible. You feel your pores just sucking in that cool air. It’s a natural high. And the festival usually has strong lineups of performers. Wavy does some MC duties during the festival. He’s also a clown, dressed up with the full deal sometimes, and does shows for kids at the festival.

46. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I would think Bochy has become a lock now for the Hall Of Fame. Plus, he could very well manage another 5-10 years for all we know, and really really really lock it up.

47. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I could see fans of other teams thinking Pence is kind of “crazy,” but if they learned more about him, they would see that he has a lot of depth to him. Deep waters. Javier Lopez is like that, too. They don’t fit the stereotype of the typical pro athlete. I think Lopez was a psychology major in college, if I remember correctly. And he sounds, from what I’ve read, like someone who took his classes seriously.

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Like I say, I have no doubt Pence would be a huge fan favorite in St. Louis. He just keeps beating the Redbirds, so that takes him down a few pegs. 🙂

48. snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Lopez must have psyched out Sabes to get the contract he has for pitching to usually one guy, and being essentially non-useful against right handed batters.
    2014 Stats are actually more than I expected, though its hard to evaluate his performance. If he gets a big lefty out, I guess he’s done his job. If he gets slapped around by righties if Bochy leaves him there, I think everybody figures well, that’s not why they pay him.
    65 appearances, 167 batters faced, WHIP 1.33, ERA 3.11, 22Ks, 19 BBs. RHB’s OBP against is .783, LHBs is .538

49. WilcoJoe said, on October 9, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Just saw an ad on ESPN for a 30 on 30 segment on the 1989 Bay Bridge World Series. It airs next Tuesday night.

• Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Very cool. Thanks for sharing, Wilco…even though it may be tough to watch.

50. snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Fur the helluvit, I checked Pen contracts. Here’s the 2014 pay of some of the guys:

*Affeldt: $6M ($5M + $3M signing bonus pro rated over 3 years for comparison)
    *Casilla $4.5M
    *Lopez $4.0M
    Gutierrez $850K
    Petit $845K (arb eligible for 2015)
    Machi $505K
    Kontos $500K (estimated)
    Romo $5.5M

* = under contract in 2015.
    Petit earned his pay just in that huge 6 inning stint in DC…

• Nipper said, on October 9, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Snarkk always has his nose in the ledger.

51. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Guiterrez will be in his 3rd year of AE next year, FA in 2016.

Petit will be in his 2nd year of AE next year, and is eligible to become a FA in 2017.

52. Chipower9 said, on October 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Here is the link to the entire team’s salary breakdown through 2019.

53. Nipper said, on October 9, 2014 at 2:57 pm

At least LaRussa isn’t the manager in St. Louis. Too bad for Arizona. He should just stick with ARF.

54. pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Speaking of our team’s illustrious history, I’ve just started corresponding with an author who has done a very fine job in that respect. I invited him here. (I bought his book at the HOF, in 2011, Trophy tour.)

Dan Fost
    Author, “The Giants Baseball Experience,” published April 2014 by MVP Books.

• zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I checked that book out from my local library. It’s a fun book, in how it goes through every season of the Giants, with a couple of pages on each season, with lots of cool information and photos. I can’t remember ever seeing a book that went through every single season of the Giants like that.

55. Ziggy said, on October 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

As a Cards fan, I see the The Bochy Factor as potentially the biggest challenge for St. Louis. He’s simply the best manager in baseball. In 2012 he had his infielders and outfielders positioned perfectly, and they ran down everything hit their way. Even balls that were crushed and headed for the gaps. I hated / admired how Giants pitchers ate up the corners and made the Cards power bats constantly chase bad stuff they couldn’t hit outside the zone (and look terrible doing so). Maybe the Giants faces have changed since then but I expect more of the same with Bochy at the helm. That said the Cards are a different team, too, without the power bats they’ve had the past several years (despite the flair up during the Dodgers series). They grind out at bats better than previous teams. Maybe they won’t get suckered on pitches outside the zone like the 2012 team did. It’s going to be a helluva series!

56. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 4:28 pm

The Giants in the Bochy era have a way of carrying on through adversity and challenges. It reminds me of this great song by Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Here’s a kick-a## cover of that song. Guaranteed to make you feel good:

57. DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 4:44 pm

As far as I’m concerned the St. Louis Cardinals of the past decade or so have basically consisted of Pujols and about 20 annoying guys named Matt…

• cardinal70 said, on October 9, 2014 at 4:56 pm

It’s not completely true that they tried to get Jhonny Peralta to change his name when they signed him. I don’t think, at least.

58. snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Anybody seen anything or heard anything about Pagan’s surgery results and what is going on with him now?…

• DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I heard he pulled a muscle on the operating table.

• snarkk said, on October 9, 2014 at 6:16 pm

An Inside the OR HR?…

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Jeez, that’s damn near porn for Gaudin. Speaking of him, I know we didn’t resign him but goddamn that guy just disappeared like a ghost into the fog.

• blade3colorado said, on October 9, 2014 at 5:42 pm

He’s on a boat in Florida with Scutaro and “Glass” Sanchez, trumping each other’s surgery scars . . . while the Jaws theme is playing in the background.*

* No idea what this means – except it just came to me like a lot of shit in my head. 🙂

59. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 9, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Nice to see Bochy getting some pub

60. Ziggy said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Just as an fyi, for Giants fans traveling to St. Louis and looking for a different experience, I suggest a day trip west along the Missouri River to check out some the wineries. This is an area food critic Todd Kliman described in “The Wild Vine” as “Napa before there was Napa (believe or not) due to the German immigrants who founded the wine industry there before the Civil War:”

One of the leading local vintners George Hussman moved to Napa and help build the wine industry there after the war ended. So, there is at least one small but significant connection between the St. Louis area and wine growing regions of Northern California.

This is not a trip for wine snobs – more for locavore types who enjoy new stuff and checking out what’s what in a given region. It would be useful to review out and target some vintages to try in advance. Also, the trip down the Missouri River in October is picturesque. Again, not Northern California picturesque, but autumn in the Midwest is a very pleasant time.

I’ve lived in Chicago since the early 1980s but grew up the “Missouri Rhineland” and have been fairly amazed at how the revival of the wine industry in the 1960s has transformed the image and identity of my old stomping grounds.

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:36 pm

thanks! I can speak for the blog when i say that what we’ve seen of Cardinals fans here today (two of you) has been nothing but a great experience. Good luck to you guys. It should be a great series.

• DJLoo said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Gas up the van, Nipper!

• Flavor said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:45 pm

A van ride with Nipper and Loo to St Louis. Hmmmm. That would be a wild ride, wouldn’t it?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 9, 2014 at 8:33 pm

throw in Buzzsaw and you have a Hunter Thompson book

61. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Sad news: Jan Hooks passed away today. No cause given yet.
    The Sweeney Sisters were one of my favorite all-time sketches on Saturday Night Live.

62. zumiee said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Schadenfruede department:
    The folks over at the Dodger blog, True Blue L.A., are getting downright poignant tonight:

It’s more than I miss having the game every night. It’s the anticipation of having the game every night that’s hard to adjust to.

by jim hitchcock (railway) on Oct 9, 2014 | 8:13 PM up reply

It sucks. I am constantly thinking “what time’s the game?”.

by koufaxrules on Oct 9, 2014 | 8:14 PM up reply

winning dodgers baseball makes everything good. for me, the game of baseball itself has its own sense of time and is a great respite from the day-to-day grind. add in the storytelling of vin scully and it’s pure magic.

by fernandomania44 on Oct 9, 2014 | 8:16 PM up reply

i wish i was a season ticket holder in the stadium, but unfortunately surrounded by giants fans in the bay area.

by fernandomania44 on Oct 9, 2014 | 8:19 PM up reply

Tell me about it.

by koufaxrules on Oct 9, 2014 | 8:21 PM up reply

• SanDawg said, on October 9, 2014 at 9:45 pm

That’s pretty funny.
      Zum–that CSN cover is bad ass. Thanks for posting. Amazing that 3 dudes and an acoustic guitar could bust that out like that.
      I also agree with everyone that the Interview With A Cardinal Fan (Not be confused with Interview With A Vampire) was great stuff.

63. sfsarge said, on October 9, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Ok, first off what is ODB? That only has one definition for me and that’s Ol Dirty Bastard (I love the Wu-Tang clan)…..I remember Kolten Wong well from my time in Hawai’i, I remember what impressed me the most about him was how much ground he covered. I caught quite a few UH games…Too bad the Hawai’i winter baseball league folded, it was really cool. That was where I got my first look at Buster and there was this Dominican kid from the Mets farm system that looked amazing. I wish remembered his name…Is it Saturday yet?

64. Ziggy said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:45 am

FYI, two days ago an idiot writer in Chicago had this to say about the upcoming championship games:

This was my reply:

Okay, Ed Sherman is a complete moron. Among the reasons baseball is in fact dying is because it’s covered by morons like Ed Sherman. Star power drives baseball? Star power drives ratings, not baseball. Morons in the media who do not know how to frame a story are killing baseball. Maybe they’re bitter about having to shack up for a few days in backwaters like St. Louis, KC or Baltimore. Maybe they think the top storylines for teams like the Cardinals and Giants have been raked to death. Here’s an idea – do some homework and find something original.

Listening to morons in the media whine about small market teams in the playoffs is among the annual rituals that debase the sport. Ed Sherman’s idiotic column provides tangible evidence that baseball has a serious media problem, not a “star problem.”

If baseball can’t survive broadcasting small market teams in the post-season, then divvy up the stars and move every team to a coast.

Alternatively, baseball could quietly seek out pros like those of yore like Red Smith who were far less provincial and small minded about covering baseball. They went went where the story was and wrote brilliantly.

That would be a big step forward for baseball…