#TheHeartofAGiant

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 8, 2014

Why did it feel like we won the World Series last night? Advancing to the NLCS? With THIS team?

No Scutaro all year. Belt hurt for much of it. Cain? Broken. Timmy? A ghost. Romo? Lost the closer job in June. PaGONE. Left Field? A black hole.

So when everyone talks about “playoff experience” and how that’s an advantage for us, I have to look at everyone who ISN’T a part of this NLCS team and think, “what playoff experience?”

Buster. Pence. Bumgarner. Bochy. I guess they were enough to coalesce into the rock of the foundation.

I am probably underestimating the power and the strength and the faith and the drive of TheHeartofAGiant. Besides the men who accomplished this improbable feat, that collective heartbeat was bigger and stronger and better than you or me. Or the Nats. Or, obviously, the Dodgers.

Where do we go from here? I don’t know, we probably don’t belong too much farther than *here*. All I know is that we earned it, no one gave us a thing. And just like every day you wake up still alive, still breathing, so it goes for the San Francisco Giants.

I went to bed feeling like we won the World Series last night. What’s it gonna feel like if we actually get there?

I’m just taking this one (Giant) heartbeat at a time……

pence3

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 6:39 am

Solid Gold baby.

Championship blood.

2. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:08 am

Another Classic, Flav. Agree with Micah…Championship Blood!
    There are others who were around in 2012…Affeldt, Lopez, Casilla, etc., but I get your drift. All of that matters not to me. I know if James were here (WTH has he been…he and Bozo), he would jump all over this, but this TEAM has that “something else.” Yep, call it chemistry, or mojo, or whatever you want. And from Sabean, to Bochy, down throughout the organization, they are not a cocky lot, just a confident lot.

Expectations for me? None. As I have said since a month or so ago, while our boys were just trying to get into the dance, one day, one game at a time. I like the way we stack-up against the cards, but you have to play the games. Either way, I am just EXCITED AS HELL that the Orange and Black is still in the hunt!

Bring on the DeadBirds. Let’s Get it On!

3. WilcoJoe said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:21 am

Great point Flav. In fact I got a text this morning from a buddy (not the biggest of baseball fans) congratulating me on the “Giants winning the World Series.”

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:27 am

That is funny, Wilco. Has he been stranded on a deserted island for the last four years? (Grin)

• WilcoJoe said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:30 am

When I texted him back telling him they still have another round before the World Series, his response was…” I have a history of being premature, just ask my wife.”

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:41 am

LMAO…

4. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:43 am

I love this quote by Hank from a recent piece: “The Giants were the 10th seed in this tournament, the little guys who backed their way in. Have some fun, get your participation medal, move out of the way and give the big boys room to fight.” And as the article mentions, obviously said tongue in cheek.

5. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:47 am

Just reflecting more on last night’s win. Another one run heart-stopper in which they scored three runs via a bases loaded walk, a weak-ass grounder, and a wild pitch. And that my friends is how you win a ball game. Or at least one of The Giants Ways to win a game. As I said late last night, this team just continues to impress me. GO GIANTS!

6. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:50 am

One more thought before I forget it (yeah, it sucks getting old), the only thing that would have made last night’s win more fulfilling was if Harper had been the last out. I fucking hate that fucktard, and when he hit that HR and was giving Stricklind the stank-eye while circling 2nd base, and subsequently barking and talking shit in from the dugout, it just cemented my hate for that fucker even more. Fuck him and and nats…have a nice off-season.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:53 am

Yeah, Harper is a chump.

I was impressed with Casilla’s composure last night. Usually when he comes in he’s got that wild eyed look and you don’t know what you are going to get until that 1st strike pours in there but last night he was cool as can be.

8. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:54 am

Not usually a Bleacher Report fan, but I ran across this article (this is the one with the quote from Shulman). I thought it a good read, and one that FU would probably enjoy.

9. stickman said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:56 am

“We really should know better by now, all of us” Mike Oz of Yahoo Sports Big League Stew admitted in his column on the Giants this morning. About time a national sports writer fessed up about baseball’s postseason #1 underdogs, the San Francisco Giants.

Why the lack of respect? Giants bent many times during the season, particularly in June and July after Belt and Pagan went down and Cain was sputtering on fumes. But they did not break. Come August and early September and some of these prognosticators should have given em a second look. Later September, though and another slide began.

Giants got forgotten in all the hoopla surrounding the Nats and the Labumbos. Came the post-season, however, and October began to show her true colors ~ orange and black. The Giants are back.

10. Nipper said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:02 am

Giants are showing the way…….winning your division doesn’t mean a thing in the post season. And a good bullpen is worth it’s weight in gold. And Matt Williams was sure helpful in this series. Thank you Matt!

11. Irish Kevin said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:06 am

Let me see if I saw this right. L A threw their ace out there to “Keep” them in the series. oh and the ACE is in contentention for the Cy Young award. The Giants on the other hand threw out the guy who was their 5th starter for the regular season, and had not pitched in 2 weeks. I will say it again this team is magical in the post season.

12. Alleykat said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:06 am

Just trying to work off my hangover from last night’s exciting clincher!
    Doubt it’s nothing compared to the ” Boys of October ” all nighter” Congrats again to Bochy&his staff and the greatest team of DNA characters( as Boch says) in baseball!!!!

13. Bozo said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:13 am

And on to the next round. That my friends, is what I’m talkin’ about.
    Go Giants.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:32 am

I have been wondering where in the hell you have been, Clown. Good to see ya back at the Flap, John.

14. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:17 am

Unreal! Still don’t quite believe this.

From the Washington Post article. Even in defeat, they still get the digs in.

Perhaps most painful for a team with the best ERA in baseball, you don’t deserve to win a playoff series if you lose three games that were started by Jake Peavy, Tim Hudson and Ryan Vogelsong, combined record 25-37, aggregate age 108.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:33 am

Fuck the natty nat writers. Fuck the nats. Fuck Harper. They can all go screw themselves while they sulk over the off-season and dream of what might have been.

15. twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:28 am

A long one for this wonderful morning.

* Kim Hudson- no cookie cutter jock wife here- best way to say it -“she’s one ballsy broad” and you gotta love it. Best tweet of the year..

*Vogey- what did I say before the game? He’s a great postseason pitcher, I like our chances? Even this blind squirrel found a nut- another gem from our scowler. And what a teammate. He was almost crying when he spoke of Hudson. And how did prepare himself? Spent the day thinking about doing it for “Huddy”. Best way to describe Ryan- “whatever it takes”

* Tell me again about “plate discipline”. It took every ounce of his determination but Pablo laid off the pitch that won it- even though it was only 20 feet above his head 😉

* Dwight Clark, Owens, Vernon Davis, White Shark- now we have “The Catch 5”. These weren’t just great catches, they were catches that each man knew he had to make- for a teammate, for his team, for his pride as a competitor. And they galvanized a city- millions rose as one, a “Yesssssss!” heard around the bay…

* Mr. Reet Petit- is there anybody better than Yusmeiro at his best? 6 innings when every batter, every at bat, every pitch could end it? The man isn’t a baseball pitcher, he’s an artist. A clutch artist.

* A lot was made about the 1-2 hitters. Great games from both- How can a 4 pitch walk be clutch? Watch ball 3 and you’ll know why. Joe Panik? .133 going in. They figured the rook out. Uh- maybe not.
    *Stricknine- a big part of pitching is a short memory. The guy has short time amnesia. A splash Hit? What splash hit? There’s a hitter to get out.

* Romo and Casilla- I’m making them just one guy. Seamless last two innings now. Totally different guys: the fist pumping excitable Romo, the unflappable all business Casilla. The last two innings have never felt safer.

* More on our heroes later. A note on the Nats- like the Braves, the Cards, Philly, Texas, the Reds, Tigers, Bucs–the Nats feel cheated. They were better than those lucky Giants, it’s JUST NOT FAIR. That’s what our guys do- they win and the losers sit in the clubhouse thinking “how the fuck did that happen?”

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:51 am

maybe your best post ever.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:56 am

Solid Gold, Michael. I agree with Flav…one of your best. I need to go back a few threads and find that one you wrote about baseball and childhood. I want to put that away in my archives. That was truly one for the ages…

Hope you and Merna, and the dogs and cats (hopefully you have not ate them all) are well.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:21 am

I popped that one in the Post of the Day–best of. It’s a link to the right of the blog.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:30 am

MagnusFlavoris, that is simply and elegantly one of your best posts here ever. Sterling silver platinum gold radioactive uranium emerald diamond molten lava.

• twinfan1 said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:50 am

Totally agree.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:57 am

Yep…gets my vote, too.

17. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:36 am

Dudes– I was contact by Daniel Shoptow this morning (I think he was featured in one of PK’s books but I’d have to go check) and he has a Cardinals blog. He wants to do a Q/A exchange. I’m hoping some of you can come up with some questions for him. Just re-post them here in the thread and I’ll include them in my email to him.

3 thoughts that struck me from last night:

1) On Hunter’s catch: it looked like that fence caught HIM
    2) the Nats take too many pitches. It’s overkill. And the whining about called strikes got played out fast. Try swinging at the strikes instead of complaining about them.
    3) I am not going to miss Bryce Harper and the distracting mole on his left eye

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:43 am

Yeah, he and I had some connection. Cool. Question 1: Will the city of St. Louis bathe the Arch in orange or black lighting, or both?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:44 am

brilliant, the fence caught Pence. I Tweeted it is the 21st century version of The Catch. Someone replied: Mays 2.0.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:02 am

Q and A thing is awesome. Post the details about when and where. I would love to check it out. And if it is on a Cards blog, no way am I going on there to spout off. I would just like to see their point of view, etc.

18. Macdog said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:36 am

9 runs allowed in the equivalent of 5 games. Even the lowliest of offenses can find a way to make do with that. Find a way. That’s what this team does best. And what’d the Bums allow in Game 1 — 8 runs in the 7th? That’s why the Good Guys are movin’ on and the Dodgers can get started on whatever they do during the offseason. Hockey starts tonight, at least they have the Kings down there.

As for the Nats, a buddy posted this on Facebook: “all full of Natitude until the postseason, when they get Exposed”

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:45 am

we are overbrimming with basking cleverness

19. WilcoJoe said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:42 am

“And they galvanized a city- millions rose as one, a “Yesssssss!” heard around the bay…”

Great line, Twin!

20. pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:46 am

Twin, I love your oracular gems up there. Zingers. Gems. True originals.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:48 am

Sam and his wife, fresh from an inaugural trip to SF (LAD series, incl 17-0), gave me and Mike C. goodie bags last night. I got an AT&T large plastic cup, a BEAT LA cup, and — and — the hat with the G that Willie Mays often wears. I look good in it.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:00 am

That is awesome, Pawlie. What a cool friend.

22. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:55 am

I read that Matt Williams is still holding tight to his “that’s the way we did it all year” mantra when asked why he didn’t bring in Strasburg, instead going with those 2 nervous Nelly’s in the 7th inning. Matty was a great Giant but he doesn’t seem to be learning much as a manager. Post season baseball is different than the regular season. Why doesn’t he know this?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 8:59 am

I’ve said it before, listening to Bruce Bochy is fun and educational. sometimes he almost slips into Yogi Berra-isms. But he is tough, shrewd, wise. He demands a lot and is stern but even. Best of all, he inspires his guys. He kept saying leading up to last night’s game: we have a lot of confidence in vogey. That helped. Bruce said he was better than the numbers (where IS James?). And Vogey voiced his gratitude for Bochy’s confidence after the game. If I remember. It was a blur.

23. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:01 am

Question for the Cards Q and A:

How much does the defeat to the Giants in 2012 remain in their minds. Is it something they have felt they needed to vindicate since that series meltdown?

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:24 am

very nice. I’ll include this one with the ones I already have.

24. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:10 am

I am off on Monday. I may have to bust out my 2012 Post Season DVD set and re-watch some of those elimination games.

25. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:16 am

Question.

Can the Giants beat the Cards by simply pitching around Matt Carpenter (well, everyone but Strickland)?

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:24 am

another good one. Thanks.

26. WilcoJoe said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:18 am

Love that Bochy calls his guys, “my little boogers.”

27. WilcoJoe said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:20 am

Question: Do Cardinals fans dislike Joe Buck as much as the rest of us? His dad was a legend, but the kid, not so much.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

excellent! Will include.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:29 am

or, if it pours again at the end of Game 7 will Matheny be as stoic?

28. zumiee said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:22 am

The core of the Giants’ success in ’10 and ’12 was the dominant pitching, and that has returned in the ’14 playoffs, so far. The Giants are getting vintage performances from these guys so far. They’re digging deep and finding it. We just need it to continue for 8 more wins. 🙂

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:25 am

Looking at the statements that Williams has made, Bochy’s win today approach is the difference.

Flav, I would ask that Stl blog guy about Matheny. What, if anything has he seen different about his approach either in the regular season or playoffs since 2012 or even last year.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:28 am

or make it like an essay question: Who is better, Matheny or Bochy. Why? How?

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

I like the way Dirt phrased it, especially in light of Matt Williams and his obvious shortcomings as a manager in the series that he lost.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

Good one, Pawlie.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:32 am

good one. Will include.

30. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:34 am

Q and A:
    In your opinion, what are the three keys to the cards advancing?

• DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:35 am

Hitting, Pirching and Fielding.

• DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:36 am

Especially pirching….

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:42 am

You are a genius, Loo. Insert gay assed smiley face, here.

31. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:34 am

keep the questions for the St Louis blog coming. I’ll put them all in an email later today.

32. DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:34 am

Without checking, it seems like a big key to the Giants postseason success the past few years has been shutting down the other teams big guns as they just did with the Nats. I don’t remember guys like Fielder, Miggy, Pujols, Vlad, Hamilton, Howard, etc doing much. I guess I could be wrong.

33. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:35 am

Post game quote from Peavy (was this guy a huge fucking pick-up or what):

“When I got here, I knew this team could do some great things,” said pitcher Jake Peavy, likely to get the ball in Game 2 of the NLCS on Sunday. “But I look around this room now — this is a team right here. It’s a special journey we’re on. Got a huge challenge ahead of us, but we plan to keep climbin’.”

34. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:37 am

Who is the weak link on the Cards expected playoff rotation?…

35. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:41 am

all of these are great questions guys, keep ’em coming.

36. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:43 am

Giants and Cards seem to have a real playoff history going since 1987. A lot of guy don’t like the Cards, and that’s cool. But, I don’t really dislike them, I respect the organization. They play ball. The odd Ozzie/Will fight notwithstanding, this is an organization that generally plays with class and knows how to get it done. The right way. They’re always in the hunt, year to year, and don’t spend a ton of money. They said adios to Pujols when he demanded the moon, and they haven’t skipped a beat since he went to the Angels to suck their pockets dry. They don’t have the goggle-eye BS sideshow going on like the Doghairs. If you’re going to have to beat a team to get to the WS, you might as well take on these guys, because you’re going to have to earn it. Game on…

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:48 am

Excellent post, Tom. Well said, and I concur. I have mentioned before that as a kid growing up in NE Oklahoma, I was a cards fan…listening to Caray call the games. It was a good time as a kid. That was then. This is NOW. It is now ALL ABOUT the Orange and Black. Bring it On!

37. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:44 am

Q&A (not to be confused with T&A):

Do you feel the Giants have any weak links that the cards can exploit, that will help them (the cards) advance to the NLCS?

38. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:53 am

Jason Stark of ESPN on the Giants. He’s always been the guy at ESPN that gives the Giants the most respect. A good read, and IMO a good summary of how this team just gets it done…

39. DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:58 am

I thought I heard something about Cardinal fans getting into some sort of post game mini-race riot last night outside the stadium…

40. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 9:59 am

I think Strickland has the makings of a closer. The HRs notwithstanding. This guy has been thrust into the most pressure packed situations imaginable, and didn’t even have a half a regular season to get acclimated to MLB ball. Basically, he’s out of AA ball right into the NLDS. That’s pretty crazy stuff. He’s got a good slider, he needs to figure out how to mix it up with that 99 mph heater. Off season and ST, with Rags and Gardy working with him, he’ll probably get more movement on the fastball, and maybe come up with a show me cutter or something. And, remember, it’s Posey who’s calling the pitches, I don’t think there’s any way Strickland is calling off Posey’s calls…

• DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:03 am

He can fire it alright, but to me he looks like he’s aiming at empty milk bottles in some carnival booth…

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:18 am

fantastic description.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:20 am

The Great New York State Fair. A mile or two from my apartment.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:33 am

Yeah, his wind-up, where it looks like he is going to put the ball back into his glove is…uh, unorthodox. But if he turns into a steady flame-throwing closer who can get those tough outs, I don’t give a fuck what his wind-up looks like.

41. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:06 am

Giants fans get on the Panda for his waistline. But, Matt Adams of the Cards looks like he can give Panda a run for the money in that department. Do the Cards fans get on Adams for that?…

42. DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:15 am

Q: Do Cardinal fans root harder for their white players?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:21 am

you’re killing me, Loo…oops; wrong word choice

• DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:37 am

Q: Are old-time Cardinal fans aware that Bill White was black?

• stickman said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Bill White and Alvin Dark did not particularly get on well as teammates.

43. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:15 am

The pundits are making hay out of the Giants scoring via a walk, a ground out and a WP, as if that’s just lucky ass. But, neglect to mention the Giants outhit the Nats 9-4. If you don’t outhit the Nats, you’re not in a position to have runners score the runs in those three “unworthy” ways…

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:34 am

Well, to get to that point, they had back-to-back hits to open the inning. And you put the walk on the Giants? Fuck that. The nat’s pitcher was the one who issued the free pass, and also threw the fucking wild pitch. Fuck all those assholes.

• Macdog said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:49 am

Did those same pundits notice the Giants gift-wrapped the Nats’ first two runs in Game 3?

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:58 am

Of course not, Mac…they’re a bunch of fucktards.

• unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2014 at 10:58 am

Well, the ‘pundits’ are putting the loss squarely on Gio coming up small in pressure situations. Missing the DP grounder, and inexplicably letting the bunt go. Then the walk.

Whatever. Teams always seem to look around after playing the Giants, and go ‘how the fuck did we lose?’

When you look at how little impact Werth, LaRoche, and anyone else not named Bryce Harper or Renton, you get it.

44. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:02 am

Matt Williams is getting crushed for putting in that rookie pitcher Barrett instead of somebody like Strasburg. But, if the Giants lost last night, Bochy would have been criticized for putting even wetter behind the ears Strickland in there to face Harper again, with the resulting bomb….

45. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:13 am

The Giants didn’t cash in on multiple opportunities. Really, they should have scored 5+ runs. Regardless they were the better team yesterday and that is all that mattered. Three games decided by one run. That’s Giants baseball.

46. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:19 am

Crawford came through again with a solid game last night.

47. paulinasia said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:19 am

I agree about how the Giants just seem to be able to befuddle other teams into losing because the Giants are actually, you know, for the most part, playing better baseball. I do think *the media* is starting to get it; a bit more respect going on right now, and it is indeed an interesting story that now actually has some longevity, history, and face the facts reality that this, in these years now, is a special team. This whole post-season so far has been fascinating in some of its outcomes, and the Giants are a huge part of that. This series with St. Louis is going to be intense, great baseball.

Not sure if this was posted already, an MLB article about this next round looking pretty special: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/97953124/richard-justice-playoffs-an-exhilarating-ride-thus-far

Oh, and… Craig, if there’s any way that you or WordPress could “publish” this whole thread.. man, what a great baseball read the Flap is today. Flap Universe. I started saving some individual posts because they were so good, and then there were just too many…….

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:24 am

Agree. By and large, there are excellent posts most of the time. But the past few days has been unreal. I mentioned Twin’s post from a few threads back (childhood and baseball). I need to find that post and archive it.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:37 am

I said up above, it’s in the POTD-best of page to the right of the blog.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:47 am

I wish xoot would come back. Always liked his insights.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Missed that, Craig. Thanks!

48. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:39 am

here’s a link to all the good stuff

49. DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:43 am

Sometimes I have to wonder what the fuck the Phillies were thinking when they traded us Hunter Pence.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:46 am

Come on DJ we gave them Tommy Joseph, Seth Rosin AND Nate Schierholtz. lulz.

• Macdog said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I know some Phils phans who feel the same way.

50. paulinasia said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:50 am

After winning in 2010, I didn’t think it would be possible to love a team as much as that team. Then 2012 happened. And now? Giants fans of this era are truly blessed. Oh, and that catch by Pence will be immortalized. So key, so necessary to stem some momentum at a critical time in the game. One of the hugest defensive plays I can remember in recent playoffs.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:55 am

Yep. I don’t remember anyone taking on the wall out there like that. If you can, watch the replay. There’s a little kid about age 5-6 right behind his left leg that is totally amazed.

• DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 11:58 am

Ex-Bum Karros of all people was the guy who described it and raved about it most in the post-game.
        Even though it’s padded that horizontal bar he slammed his back into had to hurt…

• paulinasia said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:00 pm

That’s great, he will never forget that…. hell, I woulda been amazed too. That catch was the definition of 100%.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Kale Power 🙂

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Plus his foot getting caught for a moment in the chain link, and coming down awkwardly. That could have been an injury disaster.

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:07 pm

A couple of memorable descriptions I’ve heard used to describe Pence:

He plays baseball like a washing-machine in a phone-booth.

He’s the love-child of the Scarecrow and Tin-man.

51. Irish Kevin said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I like the new saying in the article Snarkk posted a link to. It can go along with “we score we win” mantra.

Ugly. But. It. Works.

52. Irish Kevin said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:16 pm

This is from an article on Yahoo. Bum’s comment on being an underdog

It sure seems that way,” Bumgarner said. “I don’t mind it. I don’t think anybody in here minds it. We don’t get nowhere near enough credit. But no one in here cares. Don’t need credit to win.”

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Said like a true country boy. Love it.

53. zumiee said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:16 pm

There’s a good chance Williams will win Manager of the Year, and Kershaw for sure will win the Cy Young, and maybe even MVP.
    But, wow, do the playoffs really expose some things. It’s such a crucible.
    Kershaw’s playoff record now: 1-5, 5.12 ERA

And as far as debriefing the Dodgers going forward- they’re not going to get 21-3 seasons out of Kershaw forever. Their window may not be as open as long as they think. Some of their everyday lineup stars are on the decline side of the hill. And their bullpen finally collapsed at the end of the season.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Good points, Zumiee. I think where they must start is in getting some people in there (Two Trips out), that can get that group of talented individuals to play as a team. Problem is, I am not sure if some of those talented individuals have that in their personal make-up.

54. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Killion at the gate glossed the Giants style of play Bochy-ball. I like it.

In the comments section this was found “Hunter Pence Gives Annie Killion Something to Write About” lqtm

55. Nipper said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Everyone loves a winner and the loser is scorned by Sports Talk. Guys that yak for a living and sometimes are too FAT to get out of their chairs.

56. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Just heard Adam Wainwright might be out for the series with an elbow injury.

57. Alleykat said, on October 8, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Great Graphic at the top BF!
    “Air Pence at the Fence”
    Another Werthless AB for Jayson!
    Rejected!!!!

58. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 1:31 pm

The Beard has informed the Doghairs that he will exercise his player option to play next year for them. That’s a player option, meaning Coletti has no say in the matter. The checks must be cut.
    Cost: $9.5 million.
    Let the laughs begin…

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 1:43 pm

BA HA HA…better the bums than when he rejected his option with the Giants. I appreciate what he did for us in 2010, but now…Fuck Wilson.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 1:49 pm

.http://www.abload.de/img/11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm

awesome

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Sorry, flav. Did I mess up the string? Wanted to insert it as a GIF

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm

no. I thought it was hilarious.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm

where did it go? Now it’s just a gif link

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:04 pm

bah, can’t figure it out.

• stickman said, on October 8, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Jeeze ~~ spose the Beard really is secretly a Giant at heart, knew he was losing his touch and decided to put a major hex on the LaBumbos? Nah, that sounds like some kinky conspiracy theory. Kinda fun thinking that way when it comes to the LaLaLanders though.

59. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Interesting read on time saving measure (pitch clock) that will be tested in the Arizona Fall League this year. If it is not rained out, I am going to see the Scottsdale club tonight. Also of note, the instant replay in effect this year in MLB was tested last year in the AFL.

60. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I’ve been going back and forth in emails with this Cards blogger. Seems like a very cool guy. He answered all of my questions and the ones you guys asked in great detail. I’ll turn it into a thread tomorrow. He also said he’d stop by and answer any additional questions tomorrow if you guys think of anything new to ask him. Please be respectful to him, as I said, he seems like a very cool dude.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Awesome. And no reason to be respectful. I can appreciate the fans from other teams, as long as they are not being dicks. And you said he seems cool, and I absolutely trust your word.

61. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Love it. ‘And no reason to be respectful.’

Fucking Cards fan!

I’m kidding . . .

62. DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Why the delay in announcing the start time for Game 2 on Sunday? There’s no AL game that day (barring a rainout). People have plans to make.

• WilcoJoe said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Good question. If anyone is traveling to St. Louis for the weekend games they could stay another day and catch the Niner-Rams game on Monday night.

63. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Michael Morse is expected to be on the NLCS roster. . . .

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Charlie – do you know when the rosters have to be in?

• WilcoJoe said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I hope they don’t plan on starting him. He would be a nice addition to the bench and a great DH candidate if we make it to the big dance.

• DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Who would he bump? Perez, Duffy……..Timmy?
        Don’t forget he frequently gets pulled for defense early and who knows what he’s up for…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I was thinking Morse off the bench only. Bump Brown.

• DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Right, Dirt. Forgot about him…

64. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Shoptaw provided me very interesting insight to the mind of a Cardinal fan. It was like listening to someone from another planet lol. I don’t know a single Cards fan in real life

• DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Looking forward to a little “Shoptawk”
      (Sorry)

65. DJLoo said, on October 8, 2014 at 3:13 pm

There used to be plenty of Cardinal fans in Brooklyn years ago. There were the Musial lovers way, way back before my time. Then they got a whole new set of bandwagon jumpers when they got good in the 60’s. The Cardinal fans I knew were good guys and very knowledgable.

• Alleykat said, on October 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

They had a great team in 68 Loo.
      Dal Maxvill& Julian Javier up the middle,Mike Shannon at 3B and an OF of Lou Brock,Curt Flood & some guy named Roger Maris in RF .
      Throw in 2 HOF pitchers in Bob Gibson and Steve Carlton but still not good enough to beat Detroit in the W/S!

66. zumiee said, on October 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

The Cardinals are the better match-up for the Giants than the Dodgers this season. The Giants were unable to do much against Kershaw and Greinke, and I vaguely remember the Giants roughing up Wainwright in a game this season.

• Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Yep…I have been saying for daze that the DeadBirds were a better match, even while there was a part of me that wanted to see the Giants get a shot at the bums. Giants won the regular season series 4-3 agains the Cards.

67. unca_chuck said, on October 8, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Yeah, I saw earlier that Wainwright was 1-1 with an era over 5 vs the G’s this year. So he musta got shelled on one of his outings.

68. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 8, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Giants took the season series 4-3 this year I think. Verducci has a nice write up on the two clubs and the championship series’ for both leagues.http://tinyurl.com/l52uzqk

Snarkk alluded to these points separately I think but I liked this part;

The Cards and Giants have been especially good in October over the past five seasons. Since 2010, they have:

• Filled seven of the past 10 spots in the NLCS.

• Won all five NL pennants (with the latest to be decided between them).

• Gone 49-14 (.778) in postseason games against all other teams.

• Gone 15-1 in postseason series against all other teams (including Wild-Card Games).

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 6:33 pm

yoikes

69. Chipower9 said, on October 8, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Allright Flap Universe. Enjoy the evening. I am off to the hotel to change and get ready to dash out to Scottsdale for the AFL game tonight. I saw in yesterday’s box where our young Cuban, Daniel Carbonell did not play. Hope he gets into tonight’s game…sure would like to see the kid play.

Make it an awesome rest of the day.

70. Flavor said, on October 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm

This postseason – Kershaw, Strasburg, Lester, Scherzer, Verlander & Price combined to start 7 games. Their respective teams went 0-7

• snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 6:39 pm

That’s a lot of dough down the drain…

71. pawliekokonuts said, on October 8, 2014 at 6:16 pm

My two brothers are Cards fans. One went to St. Louis U., home of the Billikens, but he is a nominal fan; doesn’t follow sports much. The Syracuse chief of police, Frank Fowler, is from STL and a fan. He just went out there to a game a few weeks ago. Just saw him at a senior college night. Talked some amiable trash with him. He tried to tell me Pence was out of position, that he looked awkward. “C’mon, Frank. He looks awkward with everything. But I want him on my team. You can’t have him. He’s ours.”

72. snarkk said, on October 8, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I will go with the same mantra I did for each of the playoff rounds so far.
    Giants over the Cards?