Ratings? You’re Talking About Ratings!?!?!?!!?!?!!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 10, 2014

Everyone is saying that these playoffs will be the lowest rated ever. I don’t get that. How many people in the US are actively watching the baseball playoffs if their favorite team isn’t in it? Is some guy in Wisconsin going, “There’s no way I’m missing a Yasiel Puig at bat tonight.”

“But I thought your team was the Brewers?”

“Yeah, they are. But apparently that dude goes crazy if you even breath on him in an at bat. I can’t miss that…”

I don’t think that’s how it goes down…….

I could care less what the ratings are for Giants playoff games. It’s not like you win the Series and mlb says, “Um, sorry, you didn’t pull a 10.0. So, no trophy for you.”

These games are for the players and the fans of the teams. I’m addicted to the drama and the scene. If some chump in Minnesota heads to the gym instead of watching the Cards/Giants game I could literally care less…….

1. willedav said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:26 am

Catching up on threads, as I just got back from greater grayer seattle. One night we hit the Chihuly glass museum over by space needle, and noticed the Hendrix place right next to it. Bunch of others would have liked to see that one.

Such great posts on the threads, good reads all. Kind of funny to go back and look at start of 478 one, when there are a lot of suggestions on LU–who should hit where, who should hit bench, yada yada. Then by end of game, everyone comes back around to what we know all along, that Bochy knows best and has the players to make it happen. Post season he fine tunes everything to a level others can’t get to.

good write up today by Jenkins on those likely out the door (players, coaches mgmt.) in LA. F-em.

Dug the STL blogger thread. In “Starry Night” part of the enjoyment was all the other bloggers from teams who eventually lost out. They really are a lot like us, who live with the ups and downs of teams players mgrs. et al over course of long season. And whether they win or get eliminated, all still love their teams and the game.

Saw this posted a few times, and yes where is James? Not a clown ( good to see you post too Bozo) question either.
    Today is b-day of my all time heroes of music world, Thelonious Monk. Hoist one in his honor, “Straight No Chaser.”

2. Alleykat said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:28 am

Maybe the nation is sick and tired of listening to “Homer” Joe Buck, though he only fuels my fire,as we once again put him in his rightful place,and kick the Cards and his ass!!

3. gianthead said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:41 am

One of my clients/friends who is a raging Philly fan was so bitter after we beat them in 2010 that his response was that no one would watch a Giants – Rangers series.

I ripped him right back to ask that should the Yankees or Red Sox or Dodgers or Cardinals just automatically advance to the World Series every year because that would produce ratings. Phillies dont. It is amazing as well how bitter the Nats fans are. I posted a picture of a Nats fan in our DC fantasy league and it was a pic of a screaming baby. The Commissioner took down my post..f’n whiners.

This attitude that I think even the Pirates fans had was how could the Giants possibly beat us. Same with the Nats. Just go out and score and win and stop the opponent. It is called the Giants way.

4. willedav said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:46 am

3 days of seeing signs directing us to meeting room in hotel with “Go Hawks” on it. 2 ot their long time season ticket holders in the room (25 of us total), including me and few local Californians who are Niners fans.
    At one point in middle of meeting room I asked one of Hawks guys, “How long you been in the league?”
    How many years for Jim Zorn and Steve Largent of zero SB wins? How many for Rice and Montana?

As I told a couple mgrs. sitting next to me, “OK, you guys finally got one. That’s fantastic brutha. Now STFU.”

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:38 am

Great thread. I had not seen this spin on low ratings, but am with you 110%, Flav…couldn’t give a flying fuck about “the ratings.’

I too am excited about this series. I expect a tight series and am ready!

Heading back home to NorCal today from the two week business trip to Phoenix. Cannot wait to be home!

Let’s Roll!

Let’s Get it On!

Orange and Black Forever – GO GIANTS!

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:42 am

LMAO. Way to.set ’em straight, WillieD!

5. willedav said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:52 am

Those pix of old unis were great. Always thought Cards one with 2 birds at each end of the bat was very cool. Blue hats (90s maybe?) were dumb.
    My mentor coach buddy knew Ernie broglio (guy Cubs acquired for Lou Brock) from his days in Italian community of Temescal in Oaktown. And of course STL hometown of Yogi Berra and Garagiola. Miles Davis grew up not far from there either.
    (Shake and) Bake McBride.
    Scipio Spinks (wasn’t a fighter either).

• zumiee said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:35 am

Bake McBride….that’s a blast from my past. When I was a kid, he played a season with the SIngle-A Modesto Reds (a Cardinal affiliate in those days, even though they were the Modesto “Reds”), and I got his autograph on a program. He wasn’t my favorite Modesto Red, though. My favorite was Bill Brooks. But Brooks never made it to The Show. As a kid, I didn’t know that so few of the Single-A guys actually make it to the big show.

6. gianthead said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:54 am

70% chance of rain tomorrow night for first pitch in St. Louis…

If I were Bochy I would throw a curve ball and announce the Giants are going with a 5 man rotation for the series. It would be such a mind fuck on the Cardinals players and fans to say whoa the Giants are so deep they are going with the unthinkable in playoff history, especially recent history.

Now hear me out why I would actually do this. Bum has been a beast on the road all season. If you go 4 man rotation, then Bum would pitch Game 5 at home and then why push him into a Game 7 and damage his arm? I think what we saw out of Voggy, there is absolutely no reason to go 3 man rotation. What are the recent stats on pitchers going on 3 days rest in the last 10 years of the playoffs.

With a 4 man rotation, we would be stuck with Hudson in a potential game 7. I just don’t trust that situation. Wouldn’t it be awesome if we had to go back to St. Louis for a Game 6 to clinch the series that we would have Bum going up there with a full week of rest and if we failed there, we would then have Peavy up for a Game 7 and that is something that I would have more confidence in.

7. Nipper said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:04 am

For the casual fan no one knows the players on any of the four remaining teams. So the ratings have to suffer. Lets face it, football both college and the pros rule the sports world for better or worse this time of year.

• stickman said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:39 am

Country has a lot of media-mesmerized morons glued to the tube. Baseball is more about quality of fan-base rather than quantity. A comparison of relative IQs between football and baseball primary allegiance could be instructive.

Realistically, color teevee and pro football were made for each other. The spectacle. Baseball is waaay more cerebral, loaded with nuance and laced with intricacies not readily apparent to the average American vidiot. In all truth, baseball is more suited to radio if the announcers have a deep knowledge of the game and ways of conveying that understanding to the listeners. If it’s all there right in front of your eyes the telling insights often get lost in the shuffle.

By my book football starts in November, AFTER the World Series and the World Champions have been duly crowned and the parade has been held. Usually by then most of the meaningless football games have already been played and the NFL has sorted itself out between winners and losers. Contests are more engaging and on a cold,blustery day why not sit in front of the tube with beer in one hand and the tuner in the other.

Ratings be damned. The possibly fatal flaw in the whole concept of democracy is that the herd is always more important and significant than the individual. Again, quantity versus quality. If it’s October the playoffs and the World Series always trump the NFL as my ballgame and don’t even mention the unspeakable reality of college football where their head coaches are more highly paid than the friggen president or chancellor of the university. Tells you a bit about where this country has its priorities.

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:47 am

I don’t give a fuck which sport “rules the sports world.”

Right now the Orange and Black is playing October baseball. Everything else is fucking irrelivent…

8. unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:13 am

Baseball’s basically a regional sport as it is. Those on the east coast just assume that the rest of the country would be thrilled with Yankees/Boston playoffs every goddamn year and Yankees/Dodgers World Series.

During the regular season, I rarely watch other teams rather than the Giants.

• unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:15 am

I will say watching the Dodgers implode in these playoffs was quite enjoyable . . .

Didn’t see any of KC’s march through the A’s/Angels. I did see the highlights of them running like crazy though.

• stickman said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:48 am

Should the Giants make the dance the team i would fear the most would be the Royals. They can flat out run. Pitching ain’t bad. Hitting, ditto. Team speed, both offensively and out in the field is their forte. Giants match up far better with both St. Louis and Baltimore.

Possible matchups are interesting: Scenario One is all for the Birds, with Orioles and Cardinals. Scenario two is all Missouri, with St. Louis and Kay Cee. Scenario Three has long out of the picture Royals vs Even Year Champion Giants. Last matchup is in the colors of October, pitting teams from the opposite coasts both sporting black and orange. Of course the latter course is my preference, with Orioles sluggers facing Giants pitchers ~ a classic contest between offense and defense.

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:49 am

I saw most of two KC games. They play an interesting style of baseball. It is almost like they are a NL team.

I agree with your breakdown of the possible WS possibilities, Stix.

Let’s see an all Orange and Black World Serious. I too think this is the best match-up for Los Gigantes.

9. snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:42 am

– Nobody gives a crap about baseball ratings except the media and the MLB poobahs. If you’re a fan of a playoff team, you’re really into it. If your team is out, you’re probably going bowling at night unless you’re a baseball nerd. MLB is making so much money anyway, what’s the difference whether these games are on Fox or Fox1 or ESPN? I wouldn’t watch a Yanks/Dodgers series hardly at all, maybe the highlights.
    – BTW, what’s the deal with media dissing the Giants so much — this is the 5th biggest market in the country, isn’t it?
    – Interesting that the scuttlebutt is that LA may fire Coletti, and keep Donny2trips, whereas last year, Donny was on the griddle. Maybe Magic figured out that the players were the problem and they had no middle relief?
    – Paying the Beard next year $9.5 million is a prime example of what that LA team is all about. They might spend a little less money next year, but I doubt a lot less. They’ll go out and get a bunch of players again. Ramirez is likely not going to come back there. He’s hurt too much, and a head case…

10. paulinasia said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:47 am

If MLB “markets” this round of the LCS’s correctly — meaning, there are some really nice stories in these 4 teams being the last ones standing — then I think the ratings will be ok… agreed, not that it matters, it is definitely a team/city/fan thing. Would you guys all watch a World Series between the Astros and the D-backs? Well, maybe you would, hell, maybe I would if I could get it out here….. This post-season, to me, has a different kind of excitement from the previous two. Those two were so great, always will be, how they just unfolded. This one, these guys just seem really focused, a feck-all attitude about winning this thing… These LCS games in both leagues could easily be epic, I’ll be really surprised if either series ends quickly….

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Tom, Ramirez will be back, but only if he will agree to play 3rd. He will.

11. snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:52 am

Bochy said this morning on KNBR that Morse would be on the roster, barring a problem after playing in an instructional league game this moring. He’ll fly back to St. Looey this afternoon. He still gets “sore” after batting. So, he’d likely be available to PH for game 1, then maybe even play LF after that, TBD. Krukow said yeah, he’d been laid off a long time and would be rusty, but essentially he might run into one, and compare that to what they’d been getting out of Perez. Hard to argue that. Except, Morse hit only 5 jacks in something like the last 3 months, and IMHO if Morse Fs up a frozen rope into a 2 run error, that’s a ginormous problem. Most of the season, that did not seem to be a problem. Later in the year, some funky balls seemed to find their way to Morse and he fumbled around out there. You just know that if he’s out there in LF, it’s the NLCS and he’s going to not just get a load of can o’ corn fly balls out there — at least one or two tough plays will find him. I’d hate to have an NLCS game turn on his defense where Perez or Ishi would have just gloved it no problem…

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:07 am

Agree, Tom. I want to see Morse mainly in a PH role. Defense lapses so often get magnified in the playoffs. We can’t afford a gaff that gifts the other teams runs. With the DeadBird rotation being all righties, I would put Ishikawa out there to start most often, use Perez for late inning D (esp with a lead), and Morse to PH in a spot when you have a RISP, and need a run.

• snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:17 am

Yep. Morse is not nearly the butcher in the OF that Vlad was, but remember how the ball found Vlad in RF at ATT in the WS? That was ugly, and costly for the Rangers, I seem to remember. Giants with their paltry scoring lately can’t afford to gift any runs, like Unca says. The Cards play good ball, they’re likely not going to gift the Giants any…

12. unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:06 am

Yeah, I think Morse is strictly PH . . . At least I hope so. If Morse was raking like April, sure, you trot him out there. He wasn’t. I don’t even think he hit 5, Snarkk. More like 2.

If this last series showed anything, it’s that the premium on playing clean baseball is high.

• Nipper said, on October 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm

For those who favor Morse in LF you might as well call him a DH on loan to LF. His feet and legs move as fast as a statue.

13. Macdog said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:10 am

The other LCS starts tonight, right? 🙂

• snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:19 am

There’s another one?…

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm

LMAO…

14. DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:25 am

It’s not all about homers. He hits a lot of doubles, too. I think Morse was hitting real well when he got hurt. Just because he’s been out a while doesn’t mean he forgot how to hit.

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:40 pm

It isn’t his bat that concerns me, Loo. It is the possibility of him butchering a play in the field, and it costing us some runs.

• DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm

It’s a concern, but James has already proven that the trade-off is mathematically worthwhile.
        And he will no doubt be on a short leash defensively. He can be pulled very early depending on the score or whatever Bochy is thinking…

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 1:15 pm

You pull him early, and then you don’t have him rest of the game. I don’t care WTF James’ numbers show, I would use Morse predominantly as a PHer. And as someone else mentioned, it sounds like he is not 100%, and if he is hurt and swapped out with another player, he would not be eligible for the World Serious.

But whatever Bochy does in regards to Morse, I am down with that decision.

• Nipper said, on October 10, 2014 at 2:07 pm

If he’s not batting, Morse may as well be working in a meat market.

15. Macdog said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:46 am

Morse in August (25 games): 23-77 .299, 6 doubles, 2 triples, 1 HR, 12 RBI, 8 walks, 20 Ks, OBP .378, OPS 845.

• snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:52 am

No question he’s a needed threat in the LU, especially vs. the non-threat of Perez. But, the Giants are in the NLCS having played without him. He’s rusty, and sounds like not 100% by any means. PH absolutely yes. Playing OF will be a crapshoot and crossing fingers exercise …

• Macdog said, on October 10, 2014 at 11:02 am

This is a tricky one. IF Morse really is completely over his injury, it’s very tempting to put him back out there given the lineup needs all the help it can get. My guess is Bochy keeps it status quo with Ishi, especially, as Chi has said, with the Cards’ righty starters.

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I agree, Tom. .845 OPS be damned. As you said, they got there without him. Maybe a start if the Giants take a series lead, but even then, that is questionable to me.

16. snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 11:06 am

What’s the rule on replacing players on an NLCS roster?
    If Morse reinjured himself, they could replace him, right?…

• snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 11:11 am

I think the answer is yes with a quick googling, but then he’d be ineligble for the WS roster, if it got to that. Probably that rule to stop shenanigans with guys getting “hurt” every day and replaced with somebody else who has ownage on the next day’s oppo pitcher, etc.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 10, 2014 at 11:16 am

Even better reason to have Morse only off the bench. The club will really need him to DH if they advance.

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Yes. But must be with another OFer, I believe.

17. salty said, on October 10, 2014 at 11:26 am

Morse is still a threat and pitcher has to bear down and approach him with caution. Might get a walk. And with Morse on deck, it could change how they pitch to the guy ahead of him if a runner is on. So even if he doesn,t crush one, he can have an effect on the game.
    IMHO.

18. zumiee said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:17 pm

The Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center was broken into. Items stolen included some World Series rings, MVP plaques, and the glove he used to catch Larson’s perfect game. Yogi’s about 90 years old or so. He’s poured a lot of heart and soul into the museum and learning center over the years. Hopefully the stuff gets found and returned. How could the thieves even sell the items? It’d be like trying to sell a stolen painting or something.

• DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:23 pm

What was Yogi’s reaction?
      You can only steal stuff that doesn’t belong to you?

• San Dawg said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Its not a big deal that the museum lost some stuff. Nobody goes there anymore–its too crowded.

• chipower9 said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:46 pm

That is so fucking bush-league. String the fucktards up if the are caught.

• DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I bet Larsen would buy the catcher’s mitt…

19. San Dawg said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Its funny, but just yesterday I was telling my Advisory class that one of my pet peeves is when students say “I could care less” when they really mean to say “I couldn’t care less.”
    And now my man Flav does the same thing on the lead today.
    Come on Flav, tighten up your shit—we got a big series kicking off tomorrow!!!!
    (smiley face)

• DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 12:58 pm

You’re absolutely right, Dawg. I think it’s just become a sarcastic way of saying it correctly.
      The same way “I could give a rat’s ass” has replaced the proper “I couldn’t” version.

• snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I always wondered about that.
        A rat’s ass is a pretty small ass.
        Now, if you said “I couldn’t give J-Lo’s ass!”, now THAT would be a huge amount of disdain. Or, on second thought, maybe it SHOULD be “I could give J-LO’s ass!” to show disdain…

• DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 2:09 pm

It’s all very mysterious. LIke the moment when “I don’t give a fuck” somehow replaced ” I don’t give a shit”…

• stickman said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I don’t give a fat, furry, flying fart.

20. zumiee said, on October 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Of course, as alluded to earlier, Berra and Garagiola both grew up in the same Italian section of St. Louis, back in the day. Garagiola has one of my favorite quotes of all-time in one of his books. He was talking about the amazement his old neighborhood had when he became a famous baseball player. Just the fact that baseball players could even BECOME famous. One day, during his playing career, when Garagiola was back in the old neighborhood during the off-season, an old Italian-American, who had been born in Italy, came up to Garagiola, and with much joy said:
    “You inna the newspaper, and you no killa nobody!”

• snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Of Yankees, I’ve got a soft spot for the old Yogi. And, not just for the Yogi-isms.
      The guy was nails as a player, and played himself straight. Old school, raw, uneducated, direct from the Italian neighborhoods in St. Looey, not even a hint of pretense. Didn’t know the word. You saw what you got in him.
      What’s he have — 11 rings or something crazy like that? Plus, when Steinbrenner F’d with him, he walked out, disgusted, and went to the Mets, and stayed away for years until Steinbrenner basically apologized.
      Shame on the idjits that burgled his place…

• zumiee said, on October 10, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Yeah, (from what I read, if I remember correctly), Steinbrenner had begged Yogi to manage the Yankees, and Yogi only took the job out of feeling loyal to the Yankees; then later on, when Steinbrenner wanted to fire Yogi, he had somebody else do the firing. The fact that Steinbrenner wouldn’t man-up and do the firing himself caused Yogi to turn his back on Steinbrenner and the Yankees for many years. Steinbrenner did his apology by going to an event at Yogi’s museum and seeking Yogi out. Yogi wasn’t seeking an apology for the firing; Yogi’s a longtime baseball guy and gets the concept that managers are often fired at the end. He was angered at the way Steibrenner handled the firing.

• stickman said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:48 pm

With you on that one. Yogi is the only Yankee i admire ~ and even that took a bit of the wisdom that sometimes comes over the years. Yogi is an American institution. BTW: Back in ’66 i had one of the best pizzas i ever tasted, right there on Dago Hill.

• blade3colorado said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Hilarious.

21. Alleykat said, on October 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Yogi was awesome in that old Aflac commercial.
    “Well if you get hurt at work you get to miss work”
    “And they pay you money, which is as good a cash!”

22. WilcoJoe said, on October 10, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Every time I see Joe Garagiola, I can’t help but think of Fred Willard’s character in the movie, Best in Show. One of my all time favorites.

23. DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I think he was fired something like 8 games into a season. That was what really did it, if I remember right…

24. eddacker said, on October 10, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I wonder if the low ratngs have anything to do with the games being on PPV?

25. Flavor said, on October 10, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Isn’t the whole “could/couldn’t care less” thing missing the point anyway?

26. pawliekokonuts said, on October 10, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Ratings/schmatings. It’s MLB’s fault anyway. Their latest game show is Which Channel Is It, Anyway, Dumbasses?

27. pawliekokonuts said, on October 10, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Language maven William Safire once did a column on ‘could/couldn’t care less,’ as well as all ‘downhill from here.’ I think he concluded it all had to do with irony. As Casey Stengel made famous, “You could look it up.” As a matter of fact, I just looked up that line by Casey. “The Quote Verifier” says it was repeated and made very famous by Stengel but came from a 1941 James Thurber baseball short story. Ralph Keyes says the story was popular among sportswriters, and they may have fed it to Stengel. But Stengel used it a lot. You could look it up.

28. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 10, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Remember when the yard in Baltimore was the model for new parks? I still like it but think SF’s is better by far.

• sarge said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:14 pm

It is a beautiful yard, though.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I agree, sarge. It was the first of the old is new again yards if I remember right.

I’ve been lucky to catch a lot of games in SF the last couple of years so I am biased but I think we’ve got the best venue in baseball.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:29 pm

It’s impossible for me to be objective and not bring my fan bias into a ballpark discussion. I love AT&T because, well, it’s the Giants. I love the clean views and its leanness. Love the bay and the sky and the bridge. Citi Field, for example, is visually cluttered, two, maybe three, huge scoreboards. It’s a little claustrophobic. I do have to say, though, that Baltimore and Pittsburgh integrate their urban landscape, the surrounding character, in a very wonderful way.

29. sarge said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:27 pm

I’ve only been to three other ballparks, (of course the nauseleum, petco, and safeco) Safeco is my favorite of the three.

I have the feeling that this is the Royal’s year. They just feel like they have that intangible “it” factor that we had in ’10. Good for them, like Flavor said before, we don’t need it like they do.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, as I’ve said here: I would not be crazy to face them right now. A freight train.

30. Flavor said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:39 pm

“Steve Physioc”— maybe it’s just his name, but I remember him like a 2nd cousin. Wondered what happened to him. He only announced for KTVU for 1 year (’87-88)? That blows my mind, I feel like I’ve listened to him for many, many years (in my youth).

31. Flavor said, on October 10, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Sorry, but if Chris Tillman is your Game 1 starter, you’re in trouble. And I’m not basing that comment as a Monday Morning QB, he’s just a very average starting pitcher. I would let him pitch as a #4 or 5 on our team, even considering the staff we have. Madbum? Peavy and Voggy? They eat nails while Tillman eats Frosted Flakes. Hudson? Please. He’d be our #5……..

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:04 pm

On the pregame ESPN radio show they said Tillman had allowed only two SBs the last few years. Who cares. Journalists, especially sportswriters, tend to think as a herd, so they just talk up KC’s speed. Obviously, that’s not how they are winning tonight. Or at least not just stolen bases. MLB is graciously giving me their raw camera feed, thank you, with TBS announcers. No replays. Maybe that’s good. Replays have made us visually less aware.

• Flavor said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:16 pm

If you’re in the playoffs this deep you need one or two guys who can dominate. Tillman is nobody’s *dominator*. He’s just an innings eater with a decent ERA. Playoffs start, he sucks. Zero surprise.

32. Flavor said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Physioc grew up a Royals fan, this must be a dream come true for him.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:24 pm

The Orioles fans’ chant sounds too much like that chop thing in Atlanta.

• Flavor said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:26 pm

really? I’ll look for that. I find nothing more annoying than the brain dead lemmings in Atlanta who chop till they drop. I figured I would have noticed that grating sound without a cue…..

34. Flavor said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:24 pm

these two teams don’t quit. I fear the American League right now. Unless Morse can loosen up that oblique. He could audition his mother fucking ass off as a DH for some team next year……

35. Flavor said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:36 pm

2 hours and 30 minutes into this game, in the 6th inning, and the announcer just said “zipping right along into the 6th”. Either he’s a comedic genius and he’s gonna hear about that from his bosses or he’s on The Spectrum……

36. sarge said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Oh wow, this is turning into a helluva game. This is what October baseball is all about, cheek clenching drama.

37. snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Friggin A.
    That inning took so long I think I just qualified for Soc Security benefits…

38. zumiee said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:00 pm

The tune the Orioles’ crowd was chanting is The White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army.” Jack White’s riff has now become one of the most recognizable tunes in sports. I wonder how much money in royalties he gets from all those college bands playing it during football games….

• WilcoJoe said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:03 pm

That’s hilarious Pawlie thought that was the Tomahawk chop tune. Very similar chord progression. I could see how one could confuse the two.

39. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I don’t watch the beer league often but this is a good game. These two clubs are getting after it.

40. snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Showalter is starting to look like Earl Weaver…

41. willedav said, on October 10, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Watching Stanford Wazzu, rare (and it should be) Friday night game at home in Palo Alto with Flems doing the play by play. Wazzu scores and it’s 24-17 Cards late in 3rd.
    Flems has one of worst shirt/tie combos I’ve seen in long time, featuring (can’t use that word but rhymes with jag) powder blue tie.
    I remember when Larry Brown went to UCLA and tried to change color scheme to get closer to Carolina blue. Bad look, worse move. Course he wasn’t ever around long enough to get much heat.

42. snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Helluva short hop catch by the catcher for the force at home…

43. snarkk said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Some of these Royals can freakin’ fly on the bases…

44. WilcoJoe said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Wow!

45. unca_chuck said, on October 10, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Zumie that too funny. I just told my son 5 minutes ago that the chant sounds like 7 nation army . . . I couldn’t make the connection between the two

46. paulinasia said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Not sure if this is being talked about back there, anything about the St. Louis “powder keg” situation as being problematic?

47. DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Don,’t sweat it, Paul. I’m sure the St. Louis chapter of the KKK can handle it before the first pitch…

48. SanDawg said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I always dug Steve Physioc. Anyone remember when he and Brad Dugan used to do USF basketball? Dugan would say outrageous stuff on the air and sometimes Physioc would be laughing so hard he could barely announce. I remember one time Dugan said Digger Phelps was a gutless chump or something like that during a USF/ND game.
    My high school won our football game tonight 66-58. It was one of the wildest games I’ve ever seen. We do nothing but run and they did nothing but pass. Obviously, the defenses didn’t have much of an answer for either strategy.

49. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Pope Francis has announced his retirement and will be making a final worldwide tour in November This is your chance to buy an auto-signed replica of the Pope’s skullcap as seen on EBay and sold for over $100,000. You would expect to pay $1000.00 or more for this genuine knock off appraised at over $2500.00 by our own in house appraisal team. But you won’t pay one thousand, not even five hundred, your special TV price is just $99.99. And that’s not all-call within the next 10 minutes and we’ll send a SECOND skullcap at no extra cost! But wait- for a limited time only I’ll add a replica of a Derek Jeter batting glove for just additional S&H. You won’t find this incredible offer in retail stores so act now, operators are standing by at 575-555-555. Be sure to inquire about

• DJLoo said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:22 pm

It’s actually not that far fetched…

• twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I know- and his skullcap actually did get posted and sold on EBay. Evidently some media person offered to give the Pope a skullcap in exchange for the one Pope Francis was wearing. For some reason he accepted the swap and there we go. In fairness ( which I hate) the proceeds were to go to a charity.

50. twinfan1 said, on October 10, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Catch you guys for the NLCS.

51. […] The rest of the article can be found here: THE San Francisco Giants Blog […]

52. Nipper said, on October 11, 2014 at 4:30 am

Football rules the ratings. Baseball post season is now merely a filler. Remember when baseball stopped the sports world? That’s when they played day games in the World Series and the Yankees were in it practically every year and I was a small fry with a black and white TV.

• DJLoo said, on October 11, 2014 at 4:59 am

It might have even been made in America…

53. willedav said, on October 11, 2014 at 7:19 am

I’ll take Morse bat for 3 ABs over Ishi Perez or anyone else including Gary freaking Brown who isn’t in the Coast league anymore. STL knows he’s got pop, so if they pitch him away Morse real power alley is RCF on outside pitches where he can extend his arms. Flawed sure, but no question better hitter.
    In 2014 world of the offensively challenged, OF that can put up mid .800 OPS are in short supply. Sure he hit a slump, so did Crawford Posey Pence and Sandoval at various times of the year. Mid season Posey was hitting .239 at home.

Physioc used to do Pac 12 b-ball with Marques J, good combo. Flems isn’t bad either, and I don’t think baseball is his best sport. I don’t really care for him with Giants. Every time I catch he and Miller together, Miller is f-ing with him and joking around which he never does with K or K. He seems like the Boy Wonder to me and I suspect the others feel like he’s more of a kid brother than an actual peer..

• twinfan1 said, on October 11, 2014 at 7:57 am

If hitting were the only benchmark of a good player Morse would rate fairly well. But there’s a reason his career WAR is so abysmal- with the exception of 2011, his offensive production has barely compensated for his liabilities in other areas. I would think that it will be only be if Ishi has poor at bats that Mike will see the field. In the NLDS Travis had some of the best ABs on the team with little to show for it.
      But the series will be decided by the pitching, defense and the “meat” of the order. Having Ishi and Morse coming off the bench and Perez starting just might be the best option.
      IMO.

54. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 11, 2014 at 8:10 am

Agree with you there, twin. If/when the Giants advance they’ll need Morse to have it going with the bat. It puts Bochy in a tough position but I think he’ll value defense and a better bench and start Perez. It’s guys like Perez that often do something unexpected in the post season so I would be good with that.

• twinfan1 said, on October 11, 2014 at 8:46 am

While I think that Pence/Blanco/Perez would be on balance the best OF and having Mike and Ishi threats off the bench, I don’t think that will happen. The consensus seems to be that Travis will be the guy. If he struggles Bochy will have a decision between Perez and Morse- presuming that the Beast doesn’t suffer a setback.

55. willedav said, on October 11, 2014 at 9:12 am

Last time Lincecum pitched? Mop up vs. Diego at home end of season for couple innings? Before that?
    Zero starts after getting pulled I know that. Petit, Affeldt, Lopez as loogy, Romo, Casilla, even Strickland all ahead of him right now…which has worked fine so far in post season.

Perez, like Brown, is lucky to be in mlb at all. He has zero plate discipline. Career WAR I think is pretty irrelevant stat in this situation–what would Ishi’s career WAR be? I like both of these guys for D, but if I needed 3 ABs in the middle of the order to win a post season game, they can watch Morse.

• twinfan1 said, on October 11, 2014 at 9:37 am

Well, they can live with a spot with little offense, I don’t think they can live with Morse’s defense. As in the regular season, the center fielder will have to cover almost half of what normally is the LFer’s territory. And career WAR is relevant.when the defensive side of it is as poor as Morse’s is. He should come off the bench in the NLCS and DH in the WS, IMO.

56. wswins said, on October 11, 2014 at 9:52 am

Ishi gets the start, Morse off the bench…for now.