Game 3, NLCS

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 14, 2014

Another day playoff game that I will be missing. Can someone explain the deal with playoff baseball during the day of a work week? Kids are all in school. Adults are all working. So who benefits from this? The fans who lie to their bosses and go to the game and the small percentage of the adult population who doesn’t work who get to watch it on tv?

Stupid.

1. Bozo said, on October 14, 2014 at 6:49 am

Oops, I put this on the last thread. Sorry for double dipping.

I kept hearing how the Giants couldn’t get here and these days I hear how they shouldn’t be here, but son-of-a-beach, they are. I know I’m one of those Brain Dead type fans who think they’ll win it all every year, and yeah I guess the statistics show the Giants shouldn’t be here. The statistics also said that the Pirates, the hottest team in baseball, was a better team. The Nationals had the best record in the NL so they were a better team. Maybe they were better teams but on the days they played team Giants, they were not. I’ve been told that the Cardinals are a better team on paper, but as we’ve seen, the game is played on grass not paper. As a team, I truly believe these guys can beat anyone (delusional much?), I also believe the NLCS is not the final destination (Halloween Machine, baby).

Hey, it’s October baseball in San Francisco today, the series is tied and the Giants are in the House. Together as one, brain dead or not, we are Giants.

• blade3colorado said, on October 14, 2014 at 7:01 am

Great post John . . . You NEVER WAIVERED all season, while others contemplated the ledge at various (down) times. Just for today, I’m annoiting this blog “OneClownDown” in your honor. You deserve it buddy . . . 🙂

• Bozo said, on October 14, 2014 at 8:14 am

One Clown Down? Steve, not one clown was injured or died in the making of that post. Cheers man, I hope your trip continues to go well.

The time of the game for me is 4PM, so the Fox preference for the AL game in the prime slot works out for me today. But it does suck for the Home fans.

Hey did you guys hear the Let’s Go Giants chant in St Louis after the Niner game last night? Ya, gotta love it. I gotta go into town for some supplies, so on that note…
        Let’s Go Giants.

• Chipower9 said, on October 14, 2014 at 8:39 am

Awesome post, John! And I am right there with you. I really do try to be a realist about all things Giants, but I have my fair share of PollyAnna in my blood. But this year, I have truly felt, based on the way this team GRINDS, that they can play with, and BEAT anyone.

YES! YES! YES!

Back in OUR HOUSE, in OUR CITY by the Bay!

Let’s Get it On!

• Raymond said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:12 am

great post! I agree 200%

2. stickman said, on October 14, 2014 at 7:03 am

Flav: Agreed that 1 PM PDT on a Tuesday is not a real good start time. Four hours later and most fans could find a way to attend, watch or listen in. Even here in Minnesota it happens at three in the afternoon, it will get me off my homestead rythyms. I’ll be in and out of the house the whole while. Disconcerting on one of the last nice days of the Fall.

Go Giants!

3. willedav said, on October 14, 2014 at 7:39 am

who benefits, indeed.
    Golden rule–he with the most gold makes the rules. Not a problem for me but shunting these games off to FS1, in the 400s on Comcast, just another example of same.
    Since the new commish is owner’s buddy, highly unlikely he stands up to TV and says WE schedule the games.

POTY from Bozo, which I did see from last thread. Til somebody knocks them out, Giants are still in it to win it.

As to the continued Dodger troll posts, I’m waiting to see the expression on Opie’s face when they hand him the Cy, and someone asks if he’d trade it for a W in post season.

4. sfsarge said, on October 14, 2014 at 8:21 am

Outstanding post Bozo! 1:07pm first pitch on Tuesday, lame. I was going to play hooky from school today, but no can do. So I brought my little radio and I’ll be listening in class and playing follow the dots. I feel like such an A’s fan watching dots run around. But hey, it’s October and we have dots to watch. Let’s get it on!

5. Alleykat said, on October 14, 2014 at 8:27 am

Opie will never get a ring,so he should really just “Man Up” and decline the CY .Young and hand it over to Bumgarner, who will get his 3rd ,and is clearly the most dominate pitcher in postseason..

• Alleykat said, on October 14, 2014 at 8:43 am

That’s 3rd World Series ring to clarify..

6. Chipower9 said, on October 14, 2014 at 8:47 am

Day baseball? During the week? Lamest bunch of bullshit I have seen in a looooong time. Fucking assholes. At least my calendar is clear at work today, so like many others I will be listening to the radio call, and chasing the dots around the screen. Hoping like hell that all the dots doing the dancing are the Orange and Black’s dots!

On the radio note, it will actually be a breath of fresh air. As some of you know, I was in Phoenix on binnez for two weeks (got back Friday), and when I did hear a radio feed down there, it was all the ESPN FuckTards.

I am looking forward to hearing OUR BOYS…Miller, Flem, and the illustrious Kruk and Kuip. SO good to be home in NorCal.

If my daughter can clear her afternoon schedule, we are bombing down for Game 5.

Let’s Roll!

Orange and Black Forever – GO GIANTS!

And I am throwing in a “FUCK YEAH” for Big Time Timmy Jim! I have a hunch we get to see him sometime in the next three games.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:00 am

I like day baseball. A 3 hour conference call makes me look busy at work.

• Chipower9 said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:45 am

That works if your calendar is truly clear. That has not always been the case for me, and while a kick-ass game was going on, I was in fricking meetings, etc. Not my preference. I would much rather be at home, watching the game in the evening. Fuck day playoff baseball, and the assholes that make it happen.

8. paulinasia said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:03 am

Yeah.. it kinda sucks for ya’ll who work or do other things during the time of a weekday day game. (It’s ok, don’t worry that I have to wake up at 3am if I want to see the game start to finish. I’m honored to do so. If it’s even on, who knows until that time.) But as a kid, I remember the great suspense I always felt knowing there was a key game going on (World Series in those days, not much in the way of playoffs) while I’m sitting there in 7th period science class. But often, actually, my childhood school in Joisey, at a key time of a World Series game, would turn on the radio over the intercoms, and we could listen to it while doing our work. I remember that’s how I “heard” Micky Lolich’s home run in the ’68 series (at that young age, with some family roots in Michigan, I was a Tiger fan), and I saw it perfectly in my mind. Then of course had to wait to get home to see a replay of it. Or, sitting around a radio somewhere, at work, at a diner, wherever. It’s actually historically part of the game, which I kind of like. Enjoy the suspense in whatever way you can access it, Flappers. “And the Giants just keep on rolling.” Loved hearing Joe (less than a) Buck say that after game 1. Roll on….

9. Raymond said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:09 am

I agree Flav…I am with you! I am fortunate today that my best friend’s wife didn’t want to go and I got the call. Yes, taking a day from work, of a few I can take that aren’t a sick for my daughter or myself. I will do all my mojo I can to help our boys get a W!!

10. Nipper said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:17 am

Roll on………..

11. stickman said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hudson has never pitched in a league championship series, to say nothing of the Big Show. Anyone wanna bet he will not give it everything he has today? He’s a cerebral pitcher these days. Betcha he has spent mucho many hours studying tapes of Redturds hitters. Likely his approach will be highly scientific. Watch some of those blasts by the StL sluggers almost make it the warning track out there in Death Valley and get hauled in by Pence in front of the fence.

12. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:28 am

Huddy’s been on fire lately. I expect more of the same from our little bulldog.

Gawd it would be nice to see ONE laugher . . . bring it, G-Men!

• Chipower9 said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:48 am

I agree. A LAUGHER would be awesome, Charlie.

13. wswins said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:35 am

I don’t know why you guys have to chase dots…If you have access to a computer…

• Chipower9 said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:49 am

They run a tight firewall where I work. I am happy to just get the radio feed, and watch the dots on LameDay.

14. snarkk said, on October 14, 2014 at 9:56 am

AJ Pyrshitzki starting for the Cards.
    As I remember this tool, other that being a #1 ass, he also hit into a ton of double plays the one year he was with the Giants. May he do that again today, and the rest of this series…

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:01 am

That’s quite a battery they have going today–the pitcher who beat us in Game 7 of the 2002 WS and AJ Jackass catching him

• Macdog said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:26 am

Lackey also started Game 4, which the Giants won. Lackey got an ND.

15. Alleykat said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:05 am

Yes West Coast takes it up the ass with this day game start!
    Total BS!!!!
    Speaking of taking it up the ass, Catcher,” AJ Perjerkoff’s “reception from the fans should be epic!!!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:09 am

That’s some ODB inspired stuff right there!

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:11 am

CF Gregor Blanco (L)
    2B Joe Panik (L)
    C Buster Posey (R)
    3B Pablo Sandoval (S)
    RF Hunter Pence (R)
    1B Brandon Belt (L)
    LF Travis Ishikawa (L)
    SS B. Crawford (L)
    P Tim Hudson (R)

Let’s GO GI-ANTS!

17. snarkk said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:16 am

Thing about Pyrwhathizname is that he’d loving nothing more, nothing more, than sticking it to the Giants with an HR or game winning hit or whatever. He’s way on the downside of his career, but he could pull a rabbit out of his hat. The dude hit .244 with one homer and a .600 OPS in 30 games this season, and was off the NLDS roster. Yeah, he’s a LHB, which is maybe the reason he’s playing today against RHP Huddy, but it doesn’t say much for Cruz, their supposed backup catcher, kind of a Quiroz / El Presidente type guy with a .225 career average. Cruz has to be a better defensive catcher that Pyrhshimkus. If there are any Cards blog guys reading this, chime in on your thoughts on this Molina replacement thing, give us the poop on it…

• Flavor said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:21 am

I forwarded this question along to Daniel, we have been exchanging some questions this morning and will turn it into a new thread (possibly before today’s game).

• cardinal70 said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:28 am

Cruz might be a better defensive catcher–strike that, he is a better defensive catcher–but his work in relief of Molina in Game 2 didn’t give folks a lot of confidence that he would be so much better that you could afford his bat in the lineup. Because as weak as Pierzynski may have hit, he still was better with the bat than Cruz was.

Some of us on Twitter thought that Matheny might leave the decision up to Lackey, seeing whom he’d rather pitch to today. Being that Lackey has more familiarity with Pierzynski, that might have been a factor. It’s also noteworthy that AJ got most of the starts when Molina went down earlier in the year–in fact, that’s why he’s here now, because of that injury.

Given the short series and such, the gamble is that AJ’s bat would likely be more of a factor than any defensive faux pas he might commit. We’ll see if that’s right.

18. snarkk said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:26 am

Am I sweating Molina getting hurt and feeling sad about it hurting the legitimacy competition? Hell no. I don’t want to see guys hurt, but that’s part of the game. Everybody has guys hurt and creaking this time of year after playing 170 games plus spring training. Giants don’t have Pagan. Giants don’t have Cain. Morse is active, but like the Tin Man active. Greschner squirts WD40 on his oblique before he goes out to take some swings…

• cardinal70 said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

Very understandable. And while nobody wants to see folks get hurt, there’s no shame in being glad the opposition is weaker!

• snarkk said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:34 am

Cards fans like you are hard to dislike.
        But, I’ll work on it, especially if the Cards win today… 😉

• cardinal70 said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:38 am

Let me know if I need to toss some inflammatory rhetoric out there to make it easier for you. 🙂

19. Macdog said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

My conflict will be daughter’s HS soccer game, which should start about 20 minutes before the NLCS. I’ll be following on the phone. Isn’t modern technology wonderful?

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:34 am

Agree with you there, snarkk. Injuries are part of it and the Cards probably had some extra inspiration to win that last game. I think I saw that in print somewhere anyway. There was also some stats about their w/l record without Molina so a change behind the dish may be difficult for them to overcome. Pierzynski doesn’t strike me as the most inspiring guy but you know, f-er that he is, he’ll come to play today.

As far as Morse goes. Spray some Windex™ on it.

21. Macdog said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:40 am

Do the Cards really plan on bringing in Molina late for defense, especially if it’s a 1-run lead? That seems a bit risky, especially if the Giants were to rally for a tie and force extra innings, leaving the Cards with either a catcher who can’t swing the bat or their third catcher.

• cardinal70 said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:42 am

Mike Matheny also said Wainwright would start the last day of the year no matter what the Pirates did. Then, as soon as the division was clinched, Wainwright was scratched and Nick Greenwood got the start.

Could Molina come in? It’s possible. From listening to Will Carroll on the radio last night, it sounds like you could hurt your oblique to where some things (hitting) would hurt but other things (throwing) might not. He was playing catch yesterday without a problem, which is different than gunning a runner trying to steal, of course, but it’s something.

I think they’d take his defense and tell him not to swing if he wound up coming up, but I honestly don’t think you’ll see him today.

22. Flavor said, on October 14, 2014 at 10:46 am

new thread

23. unca_chuck said, on October 14, 2014 at 11:38 am

Hey! Willie McCovey is at the game today! Great to hear he’s back.