2014 National League Pennant Winner: YOUR San Francisco Giants

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 17, 2014

There aren’t any words that I could add that you all didn’t already write last night. So I’ll just share 3 things you probably won’t read or see anywhere else on the internet today:

1) After Game 4 I was surprised that Matheny never went to Wacha in the 4th inning, choosing instead to blow through the best arms in his bullpen in the middle of the game. Yesterday morning I emailed our resident Cardinals expert with that question and this was his response:

shop

It appears Daniel knew more than the manager of the Cardinals did.

Just prior to Ishi’s bomb the camera had an upclose shot of Wacha with the strangest head shake off of a sign I’ve ever seen. It was like he knew this was all about to end. Since most of you re-winded that play as many times as I did you probably don’t even have to go back to look at it to know what I’m talking about…….

#2: I’m assuming there are a lot of liars out there on blogs but just in case anyone thinks the Flap isn’t comprised of straight shooters, here is the pic of San Dawg’s kid with Joe Panik’s homerun ball. In the middle is his nephew and the girl is Chuck’s daughter.

sandawgball

#3: Here’s what you do with a homerun ball that you catch at an SF Giants playoff game. You trade it for a signed bat from the guy who hit it to you:

sandawgbat

Those are my 3 unique contributions to the celebration (the pics came courtesy of SanDawg, the moments of a lifetime, courtesy of his son). I want to thank Daniel Shoptaw for entertaining us and educating us on the St Louis Cardinals. He was as classy as his team and he’s a lifetime friend of The Flap. The link to his blog will remain in the blogroll to the right. http://www.cardsconclave.com/c70/

And now it’s off to my day where about 500 knowing dude head nods await……

The Panik ball . . .

panik-ball

1. cardinal70 said, on October 17, 2014 at 6:31 am

I want to congratulate the Giants on a deserved victory. While we talked much in this series about “fluky” runs, when push came to shove the Giants earned every one of their runs last night, finding their power just when they needed it most.

It’s going to be an offseason of “what ifs” in Cardinal Nation. Wondering what would have been different if Matheny had better bullpen skills. Wondering what if Matt Adams didn’t have his single worst defensive inning at the single worst time. Wondering what would have been different if Jhonny Peralta had been more like his regular season.

Even if all those ifs had been positive, I’m still not sure St. Louis would have prevailed. The Giants seem to have something special in October and I imagine, if it’s not happening against you, it’s fun to watch.

Congrats to all of you and my best wishes to you and the Giants in the World Series. It’s been fun interacting with you and I hope we can do it again in the offseason. If nothing else, Craig’s good about participating in my preseason Playing Pepper series, so we’ll connect then. Again, congrats!

• stickman said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:04 am

Daniel: Most gracious. It has to be hard, but you handled the situation with aplomb. Thanks.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:10 am

Daniel – thank you so much for spending time here in enemy territory. Like Flav said, you are a class act, just like the Redbirds, and it was awesome to have you here. Your insights from the other team’s perspective was very cool. Thanks, again.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:35 am

My oft-time spouting about the Card being one of the top, class teams in baseball, year in and year out, is confirmed with Daniel’s musings here. Great fan. The Giants beat the Redbirds to get into the WSeries, and that means they deserved it, because they beat one of the best. Good luck to the Cards, whenever they don’t play the Giants, and especially when they play the Doghairs…

2. paulinasia said, on October 17, 2014 at 6:37 am

Daniel, that was great having the two blogs intertwined, gave the games a different dimension, thanks for that. Yeah, I’m guessing it hurts. Interesting to read some posts I think from the main newspaper blog there. Some of them, of course, could have been lifted from the Flap (allusions to drinking, heart attacks, etc., universal baseball maladies in tight games). My favorite was this one, posted by someone just as the 8th inning was starting: “Could someone please kidnap Matheny for about the next 45 minutes?” Ah, we’ll never have to deal with that, having Yoda Bochy at the helm. A lot of references to “devil magic” (the devil himself directing the deflection from Pablo’s glove to Crawford’s). Mostly, I feel for those fans, they seem genuine. And then there are arseholes who said things like this: “They’re a mediocre franchise that’s 4 wins away from fluking to a THIRD FUCKING WORLD SERIES TITLE IN FIVE YEARS I CAN’T EVEN FUCKING BEGIN TO EXPRESS HOW FUCKING ANGRY THAT MAKES ME FUCK THOSE FUCKING FUCKS…”

Huh, I suppose that also could’ve been lifted from the Flap under different circumstances… 🙂 And most of them will be rooting for KC and they’re saying they think the whole country will also be. Well, game on, gentlemen (?)…… KC obviously has some mojo going on and swept the G’s in KC during the season, but that was then, this is now…. Oh, and if you didn’t see it, the MLB or Giants page have Ishi’s HR set to Russ Hodges’ call on Bobby Thompson’s blast, pretty cool…..

• gianthead said, on October 17, 2014 at 6:54 am

One thing the Royals will now face for the first time in the playoffs, actual pitching…

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:27 am

Yeah, if the shoe had been on the other foot, I may have been one of those Flappers who was throwing out “those fucking fuck” bombs. But, not for this series. That moron who posted that can go fuck himself.

3. gianthead said, on October 17, 2014 at 6:50 am

To rub it in with all the Nats fans here and couple of friends that are Bums fans, my line is that the Giants are clearly God’s team…

4. paulinasia said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:02 am

Two little things (damn, there are so many): one, there are several differences between the Cards and Giants and their organizations, but I was struck by one stark image: how the StL players line up in an organized, almost military line in the dugout to congratulate a HR hitter, while the Giants.. well.. mayhem, generally… and two, how about Ishi’s rollercoaster night? How horrible did he feel when that line drive played him and went off his glove? And a couple hours later, how amazing must that HR have felt and damn, do NOT get in the way of him trying to get to home plate… so many images. And dare I say it, but Joe Buck’s HR calls in that game were almost… enthusiastic, compared to the deadpan tone-less calls for Giants HRs in 2010 and 2012….

5. Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:03 am

here’s the vid Paul is talking about:

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:13 am

Not even mentioning Wacha, I was surprised that Matheny didn’t PR the moment that Adams got on in the ninth and also that Pierzynski didn’t PH. A lot of questions for Cards fans to take into the post season but it comes down to Matheny sitting at the knee of the master and seeing that he’s still lacking.

7. willedav said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:17 am

Props to Card70 for his interaction here. We here are often exasperated with bochy lineups and Sabean’s inability to find suitable replacements for injured players/lack of OF in farm system etc., but the org has had amazing run. Don’t think anyone really foresaw this.
    And so have Cards who seem to be able to rebuild/reload from farm system and make good acquisitions. Others here have held them up as example of how franchise should be run, and they have a lot of talented players. At some point only 1 team is going to be left standing and everyone else will be disappointed.
    Series was very exciting throughout and Cards put up a very good entertaining fight.

• cardinal70 said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:47 am

With Holliday already out, I expect Matheny didn’t want to pull Adams until he absolutely had to. Desclaso doesn’t do you much more good on first than Adams does. When he got to second, the difference was worth running the risk of both your 3-4 hitters being out.

By the way, my post about last night will go up around 11 Central/9 Pacific if any of you want to check it out.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:54 am

absolutely, can’t wait to read it.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:32 am

I would love to read it. What is the URL, again? Thanks, Daniel.

• cardinal70 said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:53 am

www,cardsconclave.com/c70

8. John said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:29 am

That’s awesome not only that he caught the ball – what are the odds – but that he met Panik and exchanged it for the bat.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:41 am

How about the odds of those two beginning to date each other not knowing their dad’s knew each other on a blog?

• John said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:29 am

I didn’t know that. I’ll say those odds are even longer! Truly a night to remember for those kids.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:47 am

yeah. In Sept 2013 we had a Flapalooza up at the Public House. San Dawg and Chuck were chatting and during the conversation discovered that their kids were dating. It was one of the most surreal moments of my life and a year and change later I’m still blown away by it. And the pics San Dawg sent me last night blew me away, too.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:56 am

yeah, that was a crazy discovery that weekend….wild…my own personal crazy coincidence was having my name called out by Tike Narry in O.co as Petit faced his last batter at AT&T nearing a perfecto. WTF? Who is calling my name? I met Tike by walking up to him in his SF gear before a game in ATL.

• stickman said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:15 am

There is some kinda weird synergy between the team and the Flap and its various denizens. Felt that back in ’10 and these waaaaay beyond coincidence experience virtually sets it in concrete.

9. Bozo said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:53 am

What a night, the little sleep I had didn’t help, I’m exhausted.

Switching gears for a second. Twenty five years ago today, I was sitting at Candlestick in the upper boxes when the Loma Prieta earthquake stopped the World Series. I’m still in awe that the Stick held up and very grateful that she did.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:55 am

25 years? Wow, that’s a long time ago. Seems like just yesterday.

• John said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:33 am

I certainly remember exactly where I was when the quake hit. I was watching the game on TV, so I can’t begin to imagine what it was like to be right in the middle of it.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:35 am

I was watching TV, too. Lived in Sacramento at the time, and felt a small jolt, and then the screen went fuzzy. Unreal.

At some point (was hoping for it this year), I would love to see a “Battle of the Bay II.”

10. pawliekokonuts said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:18 am

I got to sleep around 0430 hours. This thread. Stop there.
    Speechless.

My favorite word of discovery this week is numinous. Your thread up top is *numinous* — as was last night.

Thanks, Daniel, and other gracious Cards fans. (Dathan, also featured in Starry Night, texted me in the wee hours w/ a kind note.) I’m not sure if the tables were reversed that I would demonstrate the same big-heartedness. I hope so but can only surmise.

Oh, what a night.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:19 am

Not a huge fan of USA Today, but I bought it because it had game coverage. Plus, bittersweet little story on Bryan Stow today.

12. twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:28 am

Homecoming..
    It was “the stuff that deams are made of”…
    Our “Ishi” has known what is to be a young player of promise and hope and he’s seen the dream fade to black. He had known both success and failure in the minor leagues, a long shot from that day in 2002 when 636 other young men were thought to be more likely to fullfill their own dreams.
    But he overcame the odds that come with being near the back of a line that thins as the days and months and years pass. And then the dream was upon him- Travis Takashi Ishikawa became a Major Leaguer. How does one say it? He didn’t fail. Nor did he shine. His greatest year had been as a role player on the team of cast offs and misfits that in a most unlikely manner became our first baseball champions. No longer a prospect, not yet a veteran, he went back to the end of the line and began yet another journey still filled with hope but now tempered with the reality that stardom was not in the cards. And so he persevered despite rejection by 4 teams in 3 years. In what had to be “rock bottom” he was signed by the Yankees in July of 2013 and released after 6 days and 2 at bats. Yet he still persevered, dreams can die hard. Early this year he was cut by yet another team and pondered retirement until the call came from the Giants. After a stint in Fresno he was no longer a cast off – he was where one cannot go- home again. “Back home to a young man’s dreams of glory and of fame”…
    Then in one memorable night he faced the inglorious fate of losing a game and then the impossible dream of every boy who ever tossed a ball with his buddy or imagined that unbelievable high that might come as he rounded the bases as thousands stood and cheered and called his name. Ishi was not just home again…He was back home to what “once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time–back home to the escapes of Time and Memory.” What a wonderful homecoming it became for Travis, for his team, for us lucky fans..what a night to remember.
    (Quotes from Shakespeare and Thomas Wolfe’s “You Can’t Go Home Again “

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:39 am

well said, Twin. I just re-watched the end of the game for the 9 millionth time

• twinfan1 said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:43 am

I haven’t gotten back to you on your wonderful Email- I will do that though.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:44 am

meant every word of it.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:48 am

I sure hope this goes viral. Lovely.

• stickman said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:26 am

One helluva inspired piece of encomium, Twin.

Shades of my dad glued to WCCO back there in the dining nook in his Richfield kitchen with his eyes misting up at Ray Scott’s call on an inspired bit of baseball by his beloved Twins.

Ishi is a Giants legend now, joining a long line that includes the biggest team contingent in the Hall of Fame and yet one more memorable presence for the team that leads the National League in Pennants, now at the even number of twenty.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:41 am

Another Flap All-Time great post, Michael. That one nailed me right in the heart. This is just one of the MANY reasons I love this blog. You all make life as a fan of our team, our San Francisco Giants, enjoyable beyond words. I am grateful for it all.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 11:39 am

Great stuff, Oracle.
      You’ve captured, in one man’s journey chasing a dream, the essence of this great game of baseball, and why all of us here love it so…

• WilcoJoe said, on October 17, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Great post, as expected, Twin!

13. Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:39 am

and as much as I dislike Buck, I thought his homerun call was epic and perfect.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:41 am

Agree. I was surprised as hell. I am sitting there going “did Joe Effing Buck just make THAT call???”

• John said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:03 am

I actually think Buck was pretty good in this series, whereas in the past I’ve hated his treatment of the Giants. Given his longtime connection to the Cardinal franchise, I’ve always suspected he was still a closet Card fan. His calls of both the Morse and Ishi dingers were pretty darn good. Still not a fan, but I’ll give credit where credit is due.

14. Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:41 am

and his helmet slam might be my favorite moment of the night– released by 6 teams, almost gave up the game a couple of months ago….fuck it all to hell

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:52 am

The whole trip around the bags was great but from second to home was especially sweet and that helmet spike was awesome. Then from getting just mobbed every step of the way down the third baseline. Man.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:52 am

Yeah. Every jilted or disgruntled employee in America could identify with that: redemption overcoming rage.

• Alleykat said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:30 am

Not lost in that moment Pawlie was Jake Peavy thinking he just hit it off the wall,and ISHIKAWA just forearmed out of the way not even knowing who it was!
        Peavy apologized later, after his gaffe, all is forgiven!!
        BTW… Great Post Michael!!
        What Travis has overcome in years of obscurity and close to hangin em up after talking to his wife in August, but decided along with Sabean and the whole Org to give it one final shot,and he Showed the Whole World what belief& character really means!!
        Couldn’t be prouder of Travis, as he left his legacy in Giants Baseball “FOREVER”

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:42 am

Absolutely, the helmet slam, for me, was the pinnacle of that trip around the bases. Wow…

15. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:41 am

As I was going to bed last night, my phone started going nuts with texts from my daughter. Didn’t see them and the pics til this morning. That is SO cool that Sandawg Jr. got to give Panik his ball back.

Great thing about Ishi rounding the bases is I thought he was going to punch Peavy in the face. Apparently Peavy thought it was a double and didn’t know Ishi was rounding the bases to get the credit for a home run.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:49 am

Agree on Buck’s call. It was great. Especially how he just went silent and let the moment wash over you.

I’ve listened to Miller’s call a couple of times now and I think for once he was sort of at a loss on how to say it. Sure he described it well and it was good because he’s John Freaking Miller but I often get that feeling from him that he’s thought about all of these situations one way or another and made the call once or twice in the shower or in his head or something. I don’t think he anticipated Ishikawa stepping up in the bright lights like that and he just sort of became a giddy fanboy in the moment there.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:02 am

actually bummed Kuip didn’t get to call either of those HR’s

17. Nipper said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:56 am

I’m glad for Ishikawa. This is one strange season. All the favorite teams are gone. Now a battle of the Wild Cards begins. Of course their colors have to be blue.

18. pawliekokonuts said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:56 am

Hung over. But not like that.

19. paulinasia said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:10 am

Love the fact that the Royals “look like” the Dodgers if you squint a little. Beating them could feel like double the pleasure…. Ah, the Ishikawa Redemption, so masterfully described by Michael….

20. Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:18 am

I might have underestimated how many knowing dude head nods I’m giving out today. It’s barely past 9am and I’m at about 150 already.

21. wswins said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:19 am

I’m thinking of the Lincoln commercial with Matthew McConaughey…”Sometimes you have to go back to actually move forward”….This season Ishi may have been a Giant for about 50 games, but that was a full share Home Run…

• WilcoJoe said, on October 17, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Great comparison…Great commercial!

22. Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:21 am

Congratulations Flap Universe. Those are three great points/moments you shared. Congrats to San Diggity’s son and Charlie’s daughter for being there to help rally the Giants to victory.

I mentioned that I had concert tix that I had bought months ago for last night (Experience Hendrix…UN-FRICKING-REAL show), so I was out of pocket on the game. My friend John and I ate a killer spot in Davis (Burgers and Brew), and I was following the game on my phone. We got to the Mondavi Center, and by the time the show started it was 3-3 in the 8th, and I could not get a signal in the hall. I do feel my phone buzz during the show (text messages). During intermission I read my two messages. One from my better half Gail that simply said “WOW, unreal” (this at 8:14 PM). At this point I still do not know who won, or how. The next message is from my lovely daughter and simply says “Let’s Get Tickets!” And you can bet your sweet ass that is one of the things on my agenda today. She went to both the 2010 and 2012 series (standing room only tix) and I chose not to go. I will not make that mistake again. I too am looking forward to those hundreds of knowing dude head nods that Craig mentioned.

I did quickly rewind the game this morning to watch Travis’s AB. I won’t lie….I cried like a fucking baby. I am walking on clouds this morning. I still do not think it has fully set-in that our boys in the Orange and Black will be playing in their third World Series in five years. Fuck Yeah. Tonight, after probably going out to dinner, I will settle down and watch the entire game.

Wish I could have been on The Flap with you knuckleheads last night. It must have been one hell of a ride. Big love to all you Flappers. It doesn’t get much better than this.

Bring on the Royals!

23. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:33 am

Check this out. What a fucking moron. Bummie, the ‘soft tossing lefty’?

What a clueless fuck.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:48 am

What a brainless fucktard. Fuck that clueless fucking fuck.

• Bozo said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:49 am

“I cover the business of sports for Forbes” – Nuff said right there.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:06 pm

LMAO…great point, John.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:52 am

Forbes is wrong about pretty much everything else so why not this too? Probably a dodger fan. What a douche.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:56 am

I’m not going to spend a single click on anything that’s getting this type of response from you guys, lol

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Smart man! Total waste of time…just like that fucktard is a total waste of sperm.

• stickman said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:01 am

Forbes is all about money, business, corporate crap. Their so-called sportswriter obviously is more into football than baseball. No poetry in that dude’s soul. What’s good for ratings is his bottom line. Like the dude ever CARED. Like he kept a souvenir ball under his pillow and tossed and turned in his bed in deep reverie about rounding third base behind the two runners he just drove in with one of the greatest walkoffs in the history of the game.

Moneyball is for the Billy Beanes of the baseball world, imagining what might have been had he put together a team filled with characters instead of playing bait and switch.

Baseball is for dumpster divers like Brian Sabean and his onfield man in charge, Bruce Bochy, the best Giants manager since John J. McGraw and if he heads the parade down Market leading yet another Halloween Machine in the colors of the season, could be his HOF plaque will shine more brightly than that of the crusty old magician who led the New York Giants back in THEIR glory days.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:08 pm

We win this year, and I see no way Boch isn’t a ringer for the HOF.

• John said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:16 am

That guy is a douche, likely a frustrated Dogear fan. This continuing media-driven notion that the Giants somehow lucked themselves into 2 fickin’ World Series championships really pisses me off. And with the distinct possibility of a 3rd looming, it continues, with some economic asshat leading the way. How anyone could watch this series and conclude that the team is boring is beyond me. And soft-tossing? Gimme a break. There’s no more hard-nosed competitor in MLB than Bum and 94 mph in the 8th is anything but soft. Perhaps an well-placed Bum heater to this guy’s cherries would open his eyes.

/rant

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:09 pm

GREAT rant, John. I like the way you think, and hope to see ya here more often.

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:37 am

I may have gotten married too soon. I’ll just leave it at that.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:57 am

I follow that chick on twitter–she’s hot and funny

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:31 pm

She did not drink all that, but it was a good bit.
        BTW, where was a chick like this when I was 25?…

• WilcoJoe said, on October 17, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I think I am in love with that girl. Is that a local show?

25. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

Good stuff, Chuck. Unreal is right. It just doesn’t get any better than this. (I added a pic of Panik’s HR ball to the thread). Woo hoo!

Sabes crying in the box was something to see. He caught a ton of shit for supposedly not doing much at the deadline, and his dealing with the threat of Pagan going down again wasn’t really handled well, but in the end his moves were gold. We certainly don’t get here w/o Peavy and Morse. Two very dumpster divish moves.

26. Irish Kevin said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:41 am

I did love Ishi’s homer, but I have to say when Morse hit his homer I was just as excited, I literally came out of my chair!! I screamed at my TV “Tie ball game this is not over yet”!!

27. stickman said, on October 17, 2014 at 9:47 am

Giants have an uncanny inverted riposte to the Big Red Machine from back in the day. Reds with Morgan, Perez, Rose and on and on simply steamrolled the opposition from gate to gate right on through. In a word they were DOMINANT.

Giants dominance is waaay different. Stealthy. Magical. How did they do it? Who did it? How did that possibly happen? If Who’s on first, forget the Pill, take a strong Belt, even if it feels kinda Ishi and when things start gettin kinda Uggla at second its time to press the Panik button and not to Crawfish that snappy sling from short after Pandamonium sets in with a deflection shot from the hot corner.

Pick a pack of Poseys and slap them back to Big Country Snotrockets, aka the Undertaker and even if the Casilla walls are under assault, snap in a new anode for that battery, like Affeldt that one coming on long before Travis got all Peavyed about the prospect of getting grabbed heading for home with some semblance of dignity even if he is not hip to Morse code and whether or not he can come up on that sinking liner like some White Shark being blessed by the Very Most High Reverend Underpants all orchestrated by the guy with the oversized cranium with his garbage picking boss getting all teary-eyed as the script-writers in Hollywood stand with mouths agape wondering how truth could possibly so dominantly trump fiction.

Once again the Giants have assembled a cast of characters. It takes character to win. We saw that last night.

28. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:19 am

How about that lucky dog in the right field seats that had Ishikawa’s bomb just roll right across the overhang to him? I saw somewhere that he also gave it up for a signed bat.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:46 am

They just had the guy on KNBR for a short interview. Ishi gave him a signed bat, a photo with him, and some other memorabilia. He thought about it for a bit about trying to get some cash out of it, talked to his wife whose friends were telling her he should hold up for some cash, but he was a long time Giants fan for 40+ years, and wanted Ishi to get the ball. Some asshat Giants VP apparently told him they couldn’t get him 2 tix to a WS game. What? So, KNBR is going to make sure he gets into the WS game via some tix or their suite. Cool stuff…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:51 am

Nice.

29. Macdog said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:21 am

Over 40 years of this, at first much, much losing, then finally signs of life, the playoffs, even a World Series — alas, memorable only for an earthquake — then a season for the ages that, of course, ended sourly, then more and more agonizingly near-misses and heartache, reaching its nadir in that Disneyesque nightmare, then more losing, all the while wondering, How the hell did I ever choose this team?

And then . . . two World Series titles, maybe a third, and now this: Our very own Bobby Thomson moment, delivered by a player whose journey to last night was as improbable as it gets, on so many levels, circumstance and determination triumphantly soaring with one sweet swing of the bat. I still can’t believe it. What an amazing, crazy, ride.

30. Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

enjoy.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:34 am

We’re burning it down!

• Bozo said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:47 am

“Saddle it the Hell Up, We’re Burning it Down.”

What an awesome quote. After baseball, I see a future in motivational speaking for Mr. Pence.

31. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:26 am

From my daughter about last night:

“We saw all the Giants players leave the stadium too. We said hey and good game to Bummy Sandoval Belt Strickland Vogie Hudson and then saw Pence ride away on his scooter.” I think she also got Strickland’s autograph at some point.

What a total thrill for them. She of course stormed the gates for the Scutaro catch in the rain (game 7 of the last NLCS victory).

32. Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:27 am

this ain’t bad either..

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:29 am

I’ve resisted the urge to troll my A’s friends for the most part but I find their almost total inability to be happy for the Giants a bit odd. If the situation were reversed I would pull for the Pathetics. West coast and all.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:58 am

I’ll second that, Dirt.
      I heard one A’s fan call in this morning on the FM station just ragging on the Giants. WTF is that? Just weak, pathetic. I would also pull for the A’s if they were in, and the Giants were out. But, I gotta say this. Regardless of the Giants winning ways recently, the Giants just have more soul as a team than the A’s. The A’s constant rejiggering of the roster every year and trading guys in and out constantly leaves it hard for a fan to really identify with a team. It’s more like watching a shift change at the Detroit auto factory than rooting for a team. Last night, a guy we dumped comes back to organization, and does a wondrous thing. And, he thanks the Giants profusely for giving him the chance, and says its the best organization he’s played for. I love being a fan of that team…

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I have crossed-paths with only one of my A’s fans, and he was very cool about it…congratulating me on the Giant’s ride (this was while we were mid-series with the Cards).

34. Macdog said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:35 am

And what a moment for San Dawg’s son & Chuck’s daughter. Do we need any more proof that there’s something magical and mystical going on here in Flapville? It’s no coincidence that this run of Giants success began not long after the Flap came into being.

35. sfsarge said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:51 am

You guys are killing it today, stick and twin. I’m getting misty eyed over here. I had a really thick shell on myself for this playoff run. I didn’t think we would get past the Pirates. The lacquer thinned a bit. Then came the Nationals and Belt’s blast in the 18th, a little thinner. On to the Cards. I still kept my heart a little numb, I didn’t want to set myself up for heartbreak. I took a walk around Union Square yesterday and peppered in between the powder blue sales force shirts there was black and orange and knowing dude head nods all around. The buzz, while not as palpable was still there. That was all I needed to let me bring my guard down. I knew we couldn’t lose. San Francisco Giants 2014 WS Champs, Why the eff not?

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:53 am

great post. It was the same for me.

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Awesome post, sarge. If we have a Mini Flapalooza near the yard, I sure hope you can make it. Always great to put a face with a Flapper and shake their hand.

• sfsarge said, on October 17, 2014 at 7:46 pm

That would be great, I’ll do my best to make it.

36. snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:51 am

I had no idea until just reading this morning’s Flap that Dawg’s son caught Panik’s HR. Good hands, Dawg!
    That is absolutely mind bending – the extended Flap is part of pennant-winning history. WTF NOT?
    BTW, Chuck, your daughter is a lovely looking young lady…

37. Bozo said, on October 17, 2014 at 11:00 am

How ya going to keep em down on the farm?
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I love that 7 of our starters yesterday are home grown (that includes Ishi).

38. snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 11:03 am

Well before the Ishi heroics happened, the younger snarkette informed last night that the parents of one of her best girlfriends went to the game last night, and that the friend was very bummed she did not get to go. I said, well, it probably was because the tix cost a lot for a possible pennant-winning game. Young snarkette said, “but Dad, so what! — it’s the GIANTS”!…

• Chipower9 said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:53 pm

That’s precious…you raised ’em right, Tom.

39. masarepas said, on October 17, 2014 at 11:18 am

It’s always sad when my POS team fails to make it to the world series, and I an left stroke my pole. The blisters are starting to kill me! I just plain old suck!

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 11:30 am

Whatever, dude.
      A’s fan?…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm

It’s like an ODB/Phlab mindmeld.

40. snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 11:25 am

Surprise. Curt Schilling picks the Royals over the Giants.
    We’re golden…

41. San Dawg said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I still haven’t had a chance to talk to Mattie to get the full story on the ball and the meet and greet with Panik, but I will at some point.

As for Ishi, if I could have picked anyone on the roster to hit a walk-off pennant clinching bomb, my first choice probably would have been Belt, for all the crap he has been through, but my second choice would have definitely been Ishi—who, now that I think about it, has obviously dealt with even more adversity than Belt.

I’m glad someone mentioned the Morse homer too, as that came out of nowhere and was HUGE.

I was up in SF this past weekend and I had lunch with Matt and my nephew Joe. They were both so pumped to have standing room tickets to game 5 (their first playoff game) and were starting to dream about the possibility of the Giants clinching the pennant that night. I was telling them to pump the brakes a bit, but son of a gun if it didn’t play out just the way they hoped with a big cherry on top of it.

• unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I just wish the Giants were broadcasting that, because Matt would have been front and center on TV when he got that ball. Fox didn’t show it long enough.

42. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:12 pm

This is kinda cool:

43. Giant Head said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I forgot to note how great a story of San Dawg’s kid getting the ball. What is the story Dawg on how your son was at the game, growing up a Giants fan, etc. Would love to hear it. I assume he grew up in San Diego…how did he get to the dugout to trade the ball??? Class act for your son to do that and Panik is clearly a class act as well. We got lucky to meet him last year and to get two autographs…

44. gianthead said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Funny I just typed that Dawg without seeing your post…

45. gianthead said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Dirt, I have been friends and former work colleagues for years with these two diehard F’n Doghead Bums fans..not a word from either of them and only one briefly gave me a congrats after the second world series. Says a lot about the character of Bum fans and I have gone out of my way not to rub in their loss for the second year in a row, but I am waiting for my moment after the WS. I am going to email them that I have decided to start a rock band and going with the name Kershaw’s Hell or Kershaw’s Hellish 7TH Inning and ask for their feedback…of course, they may be a little pissed that I emailed them after the Nats series that the Giants are God’s team..

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Kershaw Bombs

• unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:58 pm

The KershawChokingHazard . . .

46. snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:35 pm

That John Jay dude.
    Could NOT get him out.
    He’s arb eligible, otherwise I’d go after him for next season…

47. gianthead said, on October 17, 2014 at 12:46 pm

We probably have a moral obligation to give Ishi a shot as well as Blanco.

48. masarepas said, on October 17, 2014 at 1:54 pm

For inspiring his team from an 8 game lead to a wild card loss in just a couple months, Bob Melvin deserves manager of the year.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Dude, this ain’t the Drumbeat.
      If you want to rag on the A’s, go ahead and do it over there where there’s a slight chance somebody might give a S…

49. WilcoJoe said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Just booked my flight to SFO using points. Get in at 11:30am on Friday. Leaving Monday morning at 10:30…Got a room for my Dad and I in the city for Sat and Sun night…Will play it by ear in terms of which game we will go to. Look forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

50. snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:09 pm

So, are any Flappers up for a WS Flapalooza somewhere?
    Whether or not guys are actually taking a second mortgage and getting tix?…

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:24 pm

yes. There’s an email thread making the rounds, not sure if you are on it. I’ll check,.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I got it/them…

• sfsarge said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I would like to jump in on that one.

51. unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I could be coerced into crowding into Momo;s (or any of the 250 bars around there) for some overpriced drinks during the WS . . .

52. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:38 pm

snarkk, I’m going to try and make game 3 on Friday the 24th. I’m hosting a party at my place on the 25th so it’s a no go for me. It’s my bday celebration. I’d invite you all over but I don’t like you guys THAT much.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Well, there goes YOUR gift…
      😉

• unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 3:13 pm

And I was going to give you Panik’s home run ball. Oh well . . .

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 8:15 pm

lulz

53. snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I might go to the Public House just for another Beercan sighting…

54. snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Open letter to Larry Baer:

Dear Larry,

Please, do not, under any circumstances, for any of the upcoming pre-game or in-game ceremonies at the World Series games at ATT Park, use, insert, deploy, employ, or show, in any way, fashion, or form, anyone or anything, or any musical or other kind of performance, including stupid hats, that has anything, even remotely or tangentially, to do with Beach Blanket Babylon.

Thanks Larry,

snarkk

• WilcoJoe said, on October 17, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I second that.

• Bozo said, on October 17, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Third that. In my book that Val Diamond was a jinx for years for both the Giants and the 9ers.

55. WilcoJoe said, on October 17, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Zumiee, I just realized the Bridge School Benefit is next weekend as well. You going? Should be odd to see Neil and Peggy on stage together after their recent divorce announcement.

56. WilcoJoe said, on October 17, 2014 at 3:31 pm

No excuse for a shortage of star talent for Baer…According to the music calendar in the Guardian, you have Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Leon Russell, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Phish all playing during or within a couple days of the Giants World Series home games.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm

And we’ll see…Huey Lewis and The News. Strangely, their calendar is always wide open.

• WilcoJoe said, on October 17, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Don’t forget Tower of Power.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2014 at 4:09 pm

In the Niner heyday times, Huey had a very good W-L record doing the anthem before Niner games…

• unca_chuck said, on October 17, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Yup. Then again, they were winning just about all the time.

57. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 4:28 pm

May have found the best Ishikawa HR call. 🙂

• sfsarge said, on October 17, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Nice!

• Bozo said, on October 17, 2014 at 4:47 pm

That’s awesome. Thanks dirt.

58. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I hate to pub another blog on THE San Francisco Giants blog but this reel of still pics is pretty awesome. I’ve probably watched Ishikawa’s walk off too many times now but that was just the craziest one I have ever seen. Giants going left, Giants going right, Giants going every which way. It’s farging awesome!

• Flavor said, on October 18, 2014 at 6:00 am

Man Dirt, those are fantastic. I was going to write a thread about the Royals this morning but truthfully, I don’t have it in me yet. Maybe later. I hope everyone checks out these pics and all of you should turn at least one of these into a screen saver or a facebook cover.

• sfsarge said, on October 18, 2014 at 11:02 am

Those are great, is it bad that number 8 is my favorite?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Haha, classic. Poor A.J. #10 was my favorite. The caption for #19 is pretty awesome too.

Speaking of pics. Great pic (gravatar) of you and I’m assuming your son.

• sfsarge said, on October 19, 2014 at 8:21 am

Thanks Dirt. Yes, that’s my middle daughter. She’s kind of a tomboy and she hates wearing girly looking stuff. I have three girls 3, 8, 15.

59. snarkk said, on October 18, 2014 at 12:47 pm

All Royals starters are RHPs.
    Advantage Giants…
    Royals have tons of speed on the bags, can steal and have stolen against Giants, whose pitchers are generally poor at checking runners on first and second.
    Advantage Royals…

60. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 18, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Bumgarner holds guys well and Lincecum probably won’t see an inch of daylight. I don’t know that stealing is going to be much of a factor. While i don’t agree with it, I think this time off is an advantage for the Giants.

61. zumiee said, on October 18, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Great stuff on the Flap, everyone! A treasure trove. It’s an amazing journey we’ve been on as Giants fans.

62. zumiee said, on October 18, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Wilco Joe, I won’t be at any of the Bridge shows this year. And I agree, it would be interesting to see how Neil and Pegi interact, if at all.

63. zumiee said, on October 18, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I agree with those that said that Miller, unfortunately, didn’t really nail the call on Ishi’s HR. Buck had the better call. Less is more, sometimes. Buck raised his voice in emotion and just let his voice fade out into the roar of the crowd. Miller, being on radio, felt he needed to give more info, but he ended up giving too much, and committing the broadcaster sin of stating something that’s painfully obvious. In his call, Miller said “The Giants win the game! And the Pennant!” Winning the Pennant makes it clear the Giants won the game. I think Miller was probably overly-concerned with not trying to sound like Russ Hodges. All Giants broadcasters have to deal with the fact that Hodges owns “THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!” So, how do you call “The Giants win the Pennant,” without sounding like you’re trying to ride on Hodges’ coattails? Well, it’s a challenge. but you just have to say it anyway, and know that you’re not going to top Russ Hodges on that call.
    Miller strikes me as a humble guy, though, who’s not going to worry about where his call stands in history.

• snarkk said, on October 18, 2014 at 3:53 pm

It wasn’t his best, he’s usually prepared. For that one, not so much. His call of Ishi’s bases clearing double a few games before was far better. ….and they ALL SCORE!…

64. unca_chuck said, on October 18, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Buck for once has finally grown to appreciate the Giants. His abject disappointment on the Renteria homer was obvious. The Ishi call was great, as was the minute of silence that followed. The Ray Scott school of minimalist broadcasting.

• snarkk said, on October 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm

If Buck can practice more of that silence thing, he’ll really improve…

65. pawliekokonuts said, on October 18, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Holy St. Francis of the Embarcadero! Have any of y’all ever been to The Gotham Club? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/inside-at-t-park-s-gotham-club–a-baseball-vip-experience-like-no-other-224741035.html

66. snarkk said, on October 18, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I think the best call of Ishi’s blast was the ESPN radio guy
    I agree with somebody before that said they would have liked to hear Kuiper call it. “Hit high and deep to right, …. this one is OUTTTTTTAAAAAA HEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAR! ….. And the Giants are going to the WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 18, 2014 at 4:01 pm

That was heartfelt. Dan Shulman, right? I like him.

• snarkk said, on October 18, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Yep, that’s the guy. He’s pretty darned good in general. I thought that call was right on it, with the right amount of panache, then let the listeners hear the crowd and imagine the scene. Very good, IMO…

• zumiee said, on October 18, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Great call of the HR.

67. pawliekokonuts said, on October 18, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I was a tad humbled today in my fandom. I called Randy W. Met him at HOF, trophy tour 2011. Met Dennis Z., too, there, who posts here. Saw Randy on the sidewalk in June 2013 when I was selling books near the Hall. Trophy was in town but I did not go in the Hall. Randy’s been to all the 2014 NLCS games in SF. Said the thunder for Morse’s HR on the Clubhouse level was like a quake. Said Bonds had coached Morse about his right foot, or something, before the game. (Maybe everyone here knows that.) He also said he will go to games in SF, and the later games in KC if it goes that far. Sure. Just like that. OK. I said, “why would I go to KC? I wouldn’t know anyone there.” He breezily replied, “oh yes, you will. There’s the psychologist from St. Louis and his son, there’s this other guy…and …” OK. I surrender.

• snarkk said, on October 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Yes, we’ve heard Bonds supposedly told Morse to keep his left foot down. OK, sounds good. Kind of like keep your eye on the ball, IMO. Adds to the legend of that HR…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 18, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Saddaharu Oh, I think a lefty batter, raised his right foot, the front foot, the way Mel Ott did.

68. zumiee said, on October 18, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Regarding the McCovey Chronicle photos, I get a kick out of #12, with the ump in the midst of all the mayhem, calming watching to make sure that Ishi touches homeplate.

69. Flavor said, on October 18, 2014 at 9:32 pm

cool angle

70. snarkk said, on October 18, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Look left at about 1:20, looks like Bochy and Flann give a cool hug. Then, Bochy turns right, walks a bit, and looks into the Cards dugout, and about 1:35 tips his cap to Matheny, in response to Matheny’s tip of the cap. Cool…