One Down 3 to Go For 3 in Five

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 22, 2014

As a fan, the difference between this World Series and the other two is easy to pinpoint: I’m as calm and cool as a cucumber. We’ve got 2 in the kitty so it’s not the end of the world if we don’t finish the job. And, unlike Royal fans, this isn’t my first rodeo. (apparently, I’m trying to break the record for most cliches used to start a Flap thread). Sorry, I’ll stop.

Twinfan had a brilliant post at the end of the last thread. Here it is:

twinfan1 said, on October 21, 2014 at 11:23 pm (Edit)

“It’s not surprising that we’re underdogs year after year. Bochy preps for the postseason from Day one. His patience pays off when the guys he stuck with come up big.None of the experts think of Blanco, Arias, Perez, Ishi- the game is all about the stars to much of the media whereas the postseason is won by a 25 man team, not 3 or 4 guys. Juan hasn’t done anything sexy- he’s just helped win games quietly. Ishi was a *little* louder but how big was it that Bochy trusted a 4 time castoff to start in the playoffs? This a team game and we’ve fielded the best team. and the best manager.”

I couldn’t agree more. The brain dead lemming national media spends their time learning the names of the stars like Puig and Miggy. They don’t understand what it takes for a team to coalesce and win. “ALL THE WAY” win. That’s why so many of them spend most of the season debating who’s going to win the MVP in each league.

I’ve watched this “team thing” happen for 3 straight now and it seems obvious to me. Experience absolutely matters in games like these. Why don’t the national chumps understand this?

As for the Royals, as I said, they should have lost at least one post season game before last night. Their fans looked broken after UnderPants hit his monster bomb. And Ned Yost has no business managing against Bruce Bochy. NONE BUSINESS.

#3in5

1. gianthead said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Wtf…did not see this coming. We need some Bruce Harper treatment at home and someone is getting hit

2. Alleykat said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Really have to question Bochy on bringing in the kid.Gave him a nice experience last night getting his feet wet, but not in a tight game tonight!!!
    He definitely has a bromance thing with him,and it came back to fry are asses tonight.. 5 freakin bombs in the postseason and now the right handed hitters are going yard, yikes!!!

3. blade3colorado said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Just going to have to wash this one off and forget it.

• DJLoo said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:41 pm

What possible reason is there to not take a look at Timmy now?

• blade3colorado said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Dunno Loo. No problem with me if he throws him to the lions. 🙂

4. Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:41 pm

all the while, Petit sits and does nothing tonight. Lame. He’s one of our best pitchers. And Strickland needs to STFU. I don’t care who he was yelling at, giving up a hit and a bomb and then challenging a dude to a fight makes him look like a pussy loser dofus……

• gianthead said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Yeah instead of talking Strickland should have stepped up and started throwing down…

5. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Problem with brining Timmy in is if he gets lit up, Bochy would almost be forced to replace him on the roster. Not sure he wants to deal with that drama. Doesn’t help that Timmy was sick/hungover yesterday.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Not too worried about this game but it would be nice to see the club come back with a run two at least. I wonder if we’ll keep seeing Ishikawa in LF?

• DJLoo said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Might depend on Morse’s numbers against whoever’s starting for KC…

• twinfan1 said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Ishi is way better than Morse defensively.But probably see Morse against Vargas in Game 4

7. Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I absolutely want to see Timmy pitch tonight. Not much else to look at tonight, let’s see what he’s got after a month off…..

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Top of the order could get right back in this.

9. gianthead said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm

1-2 pitch to Perez was awful awful. Should never have been near the plate. Machi has shown me nothing all playoffs. I am done with him…

10. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I don’t think changes are in order but I do think this is an important outing for Lincecum. If he struggles, how do you support allowing him to stay on the roster, especially with what we have seen from Strickland? That’s two bullpen spots that may need to be addressed in the middle of the series.

• gianthead said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Can’t change the roster eight in the middle of a series right unless there is an injury????

• WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Yeah, but if any club knows how to come up with a phantom injury, it’s us.

• gianthead said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Sorry…right in the middle…

11. gianthead said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:52 pm

As Flav said, Petit should have been first one in…

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Strickland changed into that Marine Blue Dress pretty quick.

13. Macdog said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Seems like it’s been an entire offseason since the last time I saw Timmy pitch.

14. snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Sitting in a Cattlemen’s bar in Redding, watching this mess. I can’t figure why Bochy didn’t being in Petit, minor Machi. machi hasn’t got anybody out in a month …

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:02 pm

the Machi move made zero sense considering who he had on the bench.

15. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm

One thing about these Royals that is true…They take advantage of mistakes and opportunities that come their way. We made some terrible pitches and they made us pay. They are indeed our mini me.

16. Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Boom. Strickland and Machi might have just hit the bench in favor of Timmy who looked great there.

• DJLoo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Book it!

• twinfan1 said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Had to get more than 5 out of Peavy.

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Petit should have pitched. What were they saving him for? Tomorrow?

• DJLoo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:21 pm

No problem with Peavy starting the inning.
        Machi over Petit is the second guess…

• DJLoo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:22 pm

17. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Great inning by Timmy!

• snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Tim looked great for that inning, sheezus somebody finally fooled these turkey’s tonight …yeah

18. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Verducci just mentioned that Timmy is or is going to be working with his dad again?

I haven’t heard his dad mentioned in years.

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:19 pm

totally. His dad turned into a ghost a couple of years ago. No idea why, probably a falling out.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I read somewhere, can’t remember where, that he said he plans to get back with him this offseason

19. DJLoo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Nice to see Tim’s hair getting closer to it’s proper length as well.
    And…………he’s gone.

20. blade3colorado said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Now we “might” have another tool (Timmy) in the toolbox we didn’t know we had. Continuing the metaphor – throw the hammer (Strickland) back in the box.

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Ankle or knee?

22. snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:21 pm

wtf happened there?

23. Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:24 pm

groin or hammy is my guess.

24. willedav said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:24 pm

That’s too bad he was looking pretty good.

25. Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Buck is so oblivious. He had no idea that injury started 3 pitches earlier.

26. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Does every Royal reliever have a red beard?

27. snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Tim was looking good there. Shit happens to your muscles if u haven’t seen live action in three weeks…

• twinfan1 said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:45 pm

The way he hyperextended his lower leg was not the result of inactivity, IMO

28. blade3colorado said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Glad we are getting a “lookie look” at Holland – may pay dividends in a tight game down the line. Surprised that Yost brought him out (for work after a long lay off????) in a laugher.

29. snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Peavy’s lackluster last 2 performances put into question signing him…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I hope they don’t. I didn’t have high hopes heading into tonight.

• twinfan1 said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:43 pm

He was OK tonight and we’re not in postseason without him. I trusted him the 6th.

30. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Giants have taken home field advantage and these ass clowns are talking like this series is in the bag for KC.

31. snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Well there will be no sweep, so you guys wanting tix for the sat game just had prices take a drop

32. blade3colorado said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Yeah, the Asian crew is acting the same way Dirt. Whatever. Now they come to our house and we’ll see what’s what.

33. blade3colorado said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Outta here. Enjoy your evening Flappers . . . 🙂

34. paulinasia said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Well, pitching changes or non-changes by Williams and Matheny sure got scrutinized; I thought Yoda would be immune to that, but obviously, he’ll make a head-scratcher sometimes. Bringing in Machi must’ve made sense to him in some way. Bruce pretty much trusts all his guys. But I’m guessing Machi and Strickland have just moved WAY down to the end of the bench. Get ’em at home…

35. snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Giants swept the Cards at AT&T , so WTF Not these clowns???

36. Bozo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Get em in SF.

37. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Well the Royals looked much better tonight than the Rangers or Tigers ever did in our previous two World Series. I think we are going to have our hands full with these kids.

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:43 pm

i think that Ned Yost is going to have no idea how to manage a WS game in a NL park.

• snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I don’t think KC is better than either the Cards or Nats…

• WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:55 pm

It’s all about who is playing better and who wants it more. Weren’t we all saying last week that we would rather face anyone but the Royals?

38. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:44 pm

The whole Strickland thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That is so not us.

39. Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:47 pm

back tightness for Timmy

40. twinfan1 said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Gutierrez or Kontos for Timmy?

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:51 pm

hoping for a solid massage therapist over either of those 2. Kontos though, if you had a gun to my head.

• snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Agree , guti is no bueno…

41. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:48 pm

The whole Strikland thing was just lame but that was all Strikland. Posey was cool as a cucumber looking around like “uhhmmmm, okay. Chill man.”

42. Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I’m not getting over what an idiot Strickland was tonight. I don’t care about his age or who he was actually yelling at. Raise your game, bro. You play for the SF Giants not the Fresno Fuckups. And this is the World Series (pro, not college)

• twinfan1 said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:53 pm

The only reaction from him should have been dead silence. As far as his pitching, he wasn’t getting his elevator up or his low heater down.

• snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Strickland seems to have turned Bochys head like a barmaid with big tits. Wake up in the morning, and it’s “wtf was I thinking/drinking???

• twinfan1 said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I think they were trying to groom him for Romo’s role. He’s got the HR part down..

• WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Good analogy!

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:00 pm

He’s got a solid role on the team in the future but he’s giving up way too many bombs and the “Let’s fight, bro!” bullshit should relegate him to mop up duty for the rest of this series….

• chipower9 said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:06 pm

lqtm…good one, Michael…

• snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Well, the barmaids here at the Cattlemen’s are all small chested, so I’m not going Bochy over Strickland tonight…

43. WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I don’t trust Strickland for the rest of the series. I think you gotta come up with a phantom injury (what is the rule on that, do they start the next season on the DL?) The pen just became a huge concern for me.

• chipower9 said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I am not entirely sure, but what I believe is that his spot must be filled with another player of the same position.

44. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Joe, still got Petit rested, Lopez,Affedlt, Romo, Casilla. Just need a strong showing from Hudson. Game of his life coming up.

• snarkk said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Yep, take game 3 at AT&T and things will be looking good…

• blade3colorado said, on October 23, 2014 at 2:21 am

Snarkk, I saw you mention Redding earlier. If you are there for a few days and are interested in a tour of Shasta Dam (bowels or what Dam people call the “galleries,”), then contact the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation Shasta Dam Safety Manager, June Borgwat. I apologize that I don’t have her number on me, but if you contact the Dam, they will have her number. Reference my name – she use to work for me and I guarantee she will arrange for you and your family to tour the innards of the Dam, along with the main powerhouse/generators.

45. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Perez looked like he was talking shit down the 3b line to me but still no excuse for Strikland.

46. tedspe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Me sad.

47. tedspe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Me sick of Strickland

48. tedspe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Me want Strickland in prison

49. tedspe said, on October 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Me realize, me no like Strickland

• Flavor said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I got your email and I’m bummed because I squirreled away 4 towels to mop your forehead up and I just found out the weather will be decidedly non-mop worthy. So who has problems, dawg?

• tedspe said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I’ll try to get real stressed and allow my blood pressure to induce a sweat stream not seen since seen since Nixon debated Kennedy or since Albert Brooks played anchorman in ‘Broadcast News”. Trust me, I’ll put those 4 towels to use.

50. tedspe said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Me very sad

51. chipower9 said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Well, fuck it. The way I see it, you always want to split on the road (accomplished), and this may just lower the price on a potential ticket for me to Saturday’s game. KC’s pen looked damned good tonight (that or the Giant hitters were way the hell off). Rewind-Delete and move on. Next three are in our house.

52. twinfan1 said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Even some of the local guys are saying that KC has the momentum. Bullshit. We took the home field away. And Hudson is better than Guthrie. I see worst case scenario as going back to KC up 3-2.

53. SanDawg said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I think we need to take all this in stride. One out of two on the road is a good deal. I’m not bent about Machi over Petit. He needed a RHP to get one guy and I have no problem with Machi getting the chance. As for Strickland, at least it is now clear to all that he’s not ready for primetime. Better to figure this out now than in game 6 or 7. I’ll give him a pass for acting like an ass. He’s given up 5 bombs in what feels like 3 2/3 innings of relief work—and that would make damn near anybody lose it. Love Snarkk barmaid-with-big-tits analogy. I think we all were hoping we’d stumbled onto our version of the 2002 K-Rod who came out of nowhere to dominate in post-season. As Twin would say……wrongo!

@ Ted–PubHizzle is the Public House right there at ATT where we all met last time.

• WilcoJoe said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Good rational post SD! I will take that with me to bed. Night all.

• tedspe said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Thanks, SanDawg

• chipower9 said, on October 22, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Concur…a good one on which to end the night. Night, FU. One day, one game at a time. GO GIANTS!

54. tedspe said, on October 22, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I end this session with a philisophical question….
    What would Chuck Conners do?
    Goodnight, gentlemen (?)