The Ace of Aces

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 27, 2014

Yesterday, some time during the first inning, I had this text exchange with my buddy (A’s fan) –I’d asked him if he was watching the game. After the first run crossed the plate in the 2nd inning I texted him “game over.” And I wasn’t blowing fake confidence. I truly believed it. Madison Bumgarner has become the most reliable pitcher in the major leagues and you could make a pretty easy case that he’s the best post season pitcher in baseball history.

madbumlock

On the cusp of our 3rd world championship in five years I’m having trouble coming up with the words to explain any of this. I’m just enjoying the gifts this team keeps giving me…..

___________________________________

For fun, I dipped into the archives to see what we were saying with one win to go in 2010 and 2012:

1. Raymond said, on October 27, 2014 at 6:27 am

I felt it too, Flav…even if I didn’t say it out loud. Loved Bochy leaving him in..,taking no chances. Let’s wrap this up in 6!

2. Nipper said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:03 am

BUM you gotta love this guy.

3. paulinasia said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:10 am

Agree with James, this team is, and has been this whole post-season, also my favorite of the 3 championship teams. It’s like, it just … keeps… getting…. better… And, Juan Perez became a GIANT last night.

• stickman said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:50 am

Just read a report on Yahoo Sports that Perez and the late rising Cardinals’ star outfielder Oscar Tavaras were close friends. Juan heard the shattering news when he was in the clubhouse pre-game. He was pacing and crying. Perhaps in that 8th inning situation Perez said to himself “this one’s for Oscar”. If so he did him proud.

• Lurker John said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:42 am

Yeah he did. I’m real happy for the kid. He’s taken a lot of heat for light hitting, but last night he came up huge when it counted the most. A BOLT to straightaway CF to plate 2. Now he’s come up with the big hit to go along with his stellar defense. I’m guessing he’s on cloud 9 this morning.

4. willedav said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:21 am

Didn’t see anything til top 7th, me and buddy hit bbq place after b-ball. Watched Bum finish them off and Perez blast as SF scores 3 insurance runs they weren’t gonna need off Yost’s pen (again).
    Loved Flav’s 7:08 about not taking Bum out, “…dealin til the deal is done.”
    FanGraphs guy who said Perez best LF option for Game 4 sure looks good, tho I guess Ishi did have a couple hits last night too. Who could have envisioned what these two guys have done in post season and in such dramatic fashion?

2002 is just one of those things to forget, and I don’t think 2014 ends this way Peavey is a battler who does not give in (and isn’t coming out unless you drag him out) and of course diametric opposite of Bum the silent assassin when on the mound. Loved Bum’s expression after the called 3rd strike in his last AB, which seemed to bother him more than anything Royals did to him all night.

5. Nipper said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:25 am

Yeah win this thing in SIX!

6. stickman said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:01 am

Baseball is a TEAM sport. Perhaps no post-season team has ever exemplified it to the degree the Giants have. With the mound exceptions of Bumgarner, Petit and the gang of bullies, there really have been no position player standouts in the series to date. However, just about every starting player has contributed and so have the guys on the bench. Perez, Arias, Ishikawa, Morse and Duffy have all played important roles in bringing home those runs. Susac has not had much of a chance to do anything because Bochy has been keeping him in reserve as Posey insurance.

As well as the “little guys” its been the little things, particularly the often overlooked defensive gems that have enabled the Giants to play shut-down baseball for most of the series. Nothing porous or leaky like we witnessed back in June ~ albeit with a slightly different cast of characters. Just last night both Pablo and Belt turned in defensive gems. Crawford has been steadily staunch at SS, Buster has thrown out base-thieves and the play of Pence, Blanco and Perez in the outfield has come close to matching those speedsters dressed in blue and white.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:12 am

excellent summary, as always

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:39 am

Another great synopsis, Stix. I especially like your last sentence as it summarizes so succintly:

“San Francisco may or may not have the best team of individual players, but it is becoming loud and clear that the Giants have the kind of players who make up the best team in the game.”

• Lurker John said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:02 am

Great post stickman.

7. pawliekokonuts said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:02 am

As nervous as I am, haunted by 2002 bogeymen, sure glad it is 3-2 games in the Giants’ favor, not 3-2 in the Royals’ favor. Seems obvious, but gotta say it. If I weren’t on the PA Turnpike (rest stop), I’d be pacing like an expectant father or a suspect doing a perp walk.

8. snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:11 am

Per KNBR, since 1982 or some such, teams up 3-2 in the WS heading to the other team’s place have lost 8 of 10 series. We know Peavy has a terrible record at KC, so I imagine Bochy does, too. Petit better be ready.
    I’m feelin’ positive, regardless. One game at a time, baby…
    Here’s something for the stats folks: http://www.whowins.com/tables/up32.html

• zumiee said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:20 am

I’ve always felt that there’s just about equal pressure on both teams in a Game 6. The team with the 3-2 lead really doesn’t want to go to a Game 7.
      A lot of this is up to Peavey tomorrow. Looking at the Giants-starters-who-are-not-Bumgarner…..those guys will potentially start 5 games in this World Series. You’d think that at least in 1 of those 5 games, the starter could give a really strong performance. Something like 7 innings, 1 ER. That’s not asking too much. In just 1 of those 5 games. And why not Tuesday night.

9. zumiee said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:27 am

“Loved Bum’s expression after the called 3rd strike in his last AB, which seemed to bother him more than anything Royals did to him all night.”

Right, Willie, that was an awesome moment. You gotta love Bum’s personality out there.

Peavey’s gotta do what works for him, all that talking on the mound and whatever, but I’ve never liked all that kind of talking in sports. I’m more a proponent of ‘never let the opponent think they got to you.’
    Man, I hope Peavey has the game of his career tomorrow.
    (I almost wrote ‘game of his life,’ but after what happened to Taveras yesterday, that seemed like a silly thing to write.)

10. unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:29 am

We’re going up against the fireballer again, and last time wasn’t all that good.

I don’t know what to expect, other than we’d better get an early lead. Funny thing is, we’ve really negated their supposed speed advantage. I think we have 2 steals to their 1. And their OF defense has been spotty at best.

Need the long ball tomorrow. Would love to see Perez start but I think Ishi goes up against the righty. Unless Bochy puts the premium on defense.

• stickman said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:54 am

Seems like facing a new to them pitcher the Giants can take awhile to adjust. They have had a good looksee at this fireballer and are reviewing the tapes. He may not be so lucky second time around. In the first matchup Peavy lost it in the 6th, if memory serves. This time around Bochy will not need to preserve his pen like in Game Two. If a couple guys get on vs Jake in the 5th or 6th BB15 may not hesitate to use Affeldt, Romo, or Lopez, if facing a LHB. Yes, i’ve been harping and harping on the fireman role ~~ the Giants single big hole. Perhaps it will get addressed in the off-season. Petit needs to start his own inning. His considerable skill set does not extend to cleaning up somebody else’s mess. So let’s say one or two key late inning (usual) relievers get us through the 5th or 6th. Then Use More O Petit starts with a clean slate in the next frame. Chances are good that the problem is solved ~ hopefully dissolved.

11. Macdog said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:33 am

How cool that none other than Juan Marichal was waiting in the clubhouse to offer congrats to MadBum. “He’s cold-blooded,” Marichal said. “When he’s on the mound he dominates everybody. Everybody.” High praise indeed.

• DJLoo said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:41 am

Who?

• stickman said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:56 am

The Juan and only John Marshal from back in the days of the high leg kick.

• Lurker John said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:19 am

“He’s cold-blooded”

Can a pitcher receive a better complement?

12. zumiee said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:34 am

IF the game starts to slip away tomorrow, Bochy has an interesting decision regarding Petit. At what point would Bochy think ‘well, I’ve got to save Petit for a Game 7 start, and not use him in Game 6.’ Surely Bochy couldn’t be thinking about starting Hudson or Vogey in a Game 7. That just can’t happen, IMO.
    But then, what if Bochy really needs Petit for a possible win in Game 6? You’d think it’s all hands on deck for a win in Game 6
    Ah, that’s why Bochy gets the big bucks. 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:45 am

I trust Bochy to make the right moves, but agree that I would manage game 6 like a game 7. With that said, if Peavy gets into trouble, I am rolling Petit out there. As others have said…no way we want to go to a game 7.

13. snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:34 am

Really need to win it in 6. I expect Bochy to manage tomorrow night like it’s a game 7. The odds are stacked against winning a game 7 WS road game…

• zumiee said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:36 am

It’s hard to think of teams that won a Game 7 in that scenario. The ’75 Reds jump to mind, though; they lost the extra inning game to Fisk’s HR in Game 6, and then dug deep and came out and won the Game 7.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:26 am

It’s hard to think of any other teams after that Reds team that have won a roadie game — because there aren’t any…

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:46 am

Good to see the club putting runs across during the last two games. They’ve got to keep it rolling in KC as you don’t know what you’re getting with Peavy. Got to try to put runs up early and often.

Zum, I agree with your 9:20 response to snarkk. One of these grizzled vets needs to turn back the clock and put in a strong performance.

15. Irish Kevin said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:51 am

This pretty much sums up Bumgamer

Juan Marichal, the Hall of Fame right-hander, was in the clubhouse postgame. He called Bumgarner “cold-blooded

16. Flavor said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:53 am

Maybe someone needs to explain this to me: why doesn’t Petit just start the game tomorrow? Why are we waiting for Peavy to implode before sending in The Secret Weapon?

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:32 am

Yeah, excellent question. IMO Bochy doesn’t want to start Petit because for whatever reason he has been on and off as a starter , but nails in relief. Yet, because Bochy likes to bring in Petit to start a clean inning, the game could already be blown or he has to waste a reliever early to get out of the inning before bringing in Petit. Dicey situation…

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:37 pm

snarkk – that is why I have said repeatedly that if not the most important aspect of the Giants, certainly right there, is to be able to effectively bridge the gap between the starter and your late inning guys (Affeldt, Lopez for the key leftie, Romo, and Casilla).

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:47 am

I believe if you asked Bochy he would say “this is the reason we went out and got Jake Peavy. I trust him to do his job.”

I just see no way that Peavy does not start the game tomorrow, and I feel good about having him in that starter’s role.

17. Alleykat said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:53 am

I’ve ready that Bochy is gonna go with Hudson in game if it’s needed.
    So if that’s the case, “All hands on deck including the Undertaker who’s always good to go as the Royals know!
    Screw it lets get it done in 6,and get the champagne flowing!!!!

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

I don’t understand why Hudson over Petit if Peavey craters…

18. Irish Kevin said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:53 am

And this guy just pisses me off

Tim Brown of Yahoo sports
    SAN FRANCISCO – This particular World Series has been spent attempting to separate the qualities and deficiencies of two similar ballclubs, a pair of overachieving wild-card teams that played themselves into late October.

Overachieving wild card teams?? Serviously?? F You Mr Brown

19. unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:55 am

Bummie said he usually throws his bullpen session ‘2 or 3 days’ after his starts. So he could conceivably pitch some come Tuesday/Wednseday should it get that far.

I don’t think it comes to that with Petit and Timmy available, but we’ll just wait and see. It certainly would add to his legend to come in and pitch on 2 days rest.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:54 am

The only guy I wouldn’t play tomorrow, and it’s close, is Bum. I just think he might not be sharp. In a game 7, sure, that xtra rest day means he’d be effective …

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:05 am

Remember Kinsler’s near HR in 2010? Perez’s ball was in the same area and pretty close to the same spot (two panels off maybe?). I’m sure Larry B will be renaming that area come spring.

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:06 am

“Ron Washington says “Jesus Christ how the fuck does that ball not go over?” “

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 2:04 pm

That’s assuming his wife is letting him speak right now…

21. snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:40 am

IMO Bochy has to manage game 6 like his hair is on fire, like it’s game 7. There are no player egos now. Only the win matters. With Bum’s shutout, everybody in the Pen is available for game 6 and a 7 for any time, for any matchup, if needed. This is a different team than 2002, and a better manager, but the lesson learned there must be heeded – win game 6…

22. Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:50 am

I agree with having to manage tomorrow’s game like a game 7, Tom. I also think the players will come in thinking that they need to finish it in the 6th game.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:51 am

Yeah, snarkk. Need runs and top shelf D. I wonder if we see Perez instead of Ishikawa starting in LF.

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:06 am

I think Bochy plays it like he has been. Ishi against the righty. Until the 6th or big lead.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

After last night I’d go with Perez for the D. Peavey is way more likely to give up ropes into LF than Bum. IMO that trumps the righty v righty thing, plus Perez should have some confidence going…

• Irish Kevin said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

I sure hope so. I don’t remember who said it on the last thread, but they came out and asked is Juan the new LF next year full time starter. I think he has shown he can handle the position and then some.

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:34 am

Hey, I am as happy as ANY other Giant fan when it comes to Perez’s recent success. But to pencil him in as a starter next year? With all due respect to the kid…no fucking way. He is a nice 4/5 guy, but no way I see him as a starter. I think LF is one of the positions they need to upgrade next year (as I do not see Morse back next year).

• Irish Kevin said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Well until the Giants were FORCED to use Panik. no body knew what Panik was capable of. I see Juan in the same category as Crawford and Panik. brought in for defense and surprise, surprise he appears to be quite a player.

One other thing Chi. A friend of mine says they have already put a Giants Dugout store at Raley field it is open and selling WS gear. I have not had a chance to check this out yet. Now I won’t have to drive to SF to get my gear.

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Well, we all have our opinions, and in the grand scheme of things, none of them mean shit. My opinion stands…I see Perez as a 4/5 guy (as it stands now), and certainly not a starter. He will get his chance with many others to grab that LF role next year during ST.

I had heard they were putting a Giants dugout store in Sacto, but was not aware that it is already open. Are you sure that they are not just selling gear out of the Rivercat store, and that a separate Giant dugout store will be built later?

24. snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:01 am

Strange that this Giants WS team is probably the worst of the three recent ones, and KC is probably the best of the 3 opponents, yet the Gmen are poised to win it again. I think the starting pitching on the Giants 2012 and certainly 2010 squads would have blown this KC team out…

• Alleykat said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:14 am

No doubt they would have Snarkk. Cain,Lincecum & Bumgarner would of blown them out of Kansas faster then a twister on “Auntie M’s House”!

25. unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:02 am

Did the 86 Mets win on the road?

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:08 am

Alas,no

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:12 am

Huh. Never heard this story. Looking up the 86 Mets and here’s what I found.

The game 7 postponement gave Red Sox manager John McNamara another idea, and he decided to start Bruce Hurst, already 2-0 in the series and the presumptive series MVP if the Red Sox won, instead of Oil Can Boyd as the rainout enabled him to get a third day of rest and thus be ready to go for the decider. Boyd, upset at not being given the ball as he was supposed to, went into the clubhouse and decided to drown his sorrows in alcohol. Thus, when pitching coach Bill Fischer went to check on him, he found Boyd was highly intoxicated and thus in no condition to pitch in relief that night if he was needed.

Which he was . . .

• Flavor said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:16 am

wonder if that shit goes down still? Seems like an “80’s thing” but who knows, maybe it does.

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Well, the fried-chicken-and-beer deal in Bawstun a couple years back was pretty close.

Must be the bar inside the clubhouse ., . .

26. Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:07 am

There were a lot of great moments in last night’s game, but my absolute favorite was when Butler got in to PH. He goes down on three pitches…
    93 MPH fastball
    Changeup
    And gets schooled with a wicked 76 MPH curveball.

Good Morning. Good Afternoon. And GOOD NIGHT!

The expression on Butler’s face said it all. That was fucking money right there!

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Butler’s going to bat at least 3X in this next game as DH. IMO the KCers are really disadvantaged when they play NL rules. Of course, Morse is now going to DH, on the flip side. Here’s hoping he clouts one…

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Yeah, I see Morse and Butler being in the next game as just even addition re: a bat. And hell yes to Morse banging one the fuck out…

27. unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:13 am

Yup. Of all the red-asses on the Royals, he’s the red-assyist.

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:39 am

LMAO Charlie…”red-assyist.” Is that a word? Gotta bust out my Websters on that one. 😉

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Wasn’t surew how to spell that. asseist? assyest?

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I think you nailed it with your original suggestion. Speaking of…Kent was certainly up there, too, but I will always dig him during his time as a Giant.

28. snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:16 am

Right now there is no #2 starter. Peavey, Voggy and Hudson have been pitching like #3s, at best. Petit is the #2, but he doesn’t start. How this squad has gotten this far with so much excitement is amazing. Regardless of outcome, it’s Bochys best overall season and post season managing job since he’s been the manager…

29. Lurker John said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:20 am

Posey is way overdue to come up with an extra base hit. He homers tomorrow.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:25 am

Somebody needs to homer, maybe Morse, too. I’m thinking this game 6 is going to be something like 7-5 or 6-4. Giants have seen this fireballing kid once, they’ll get to him…

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:40 am

A long ball or two would be nice, but not required. If they string a bunch of singles together, and win…THAT is all that matters. Just win…close this mother out tomorrow!

30. snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:21 am

If the Gmen win this, they’d do so by beating 4 postseason opponents, all having home field advantage over SF…

31. Lurker John said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:28 am

The good news, like you guys have said, is that the Giants can throw everything at the Royals tomorrow. The bullpen is fully rested, there’s Petit and Lincecum to pick up the slack if Peavy falters and the short guys to close it out. The key is to get the lead in the early innings.

For all the talk about experience and having been in the Series before, it’s time for Peavy to step and deliver the goods, pitch like it’s the last start he’s ever going to get. No more erratic BS, just a solid start, throw strikes, hit his spots, take the crowd out of it.

32. Irish Kevin said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:36 am

The Look on Billy Butler’s face was priceless after Bum threw him the curve for strike 3!!

33. Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:37 am

Change of pace…here is what I thought was an excellent article on Sabean from the “New York Times.”

34. wswins said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:39 am

Very fun Flav looking back and reading the posts from the ’10 and ’12 WS runs…As far as favorite team of the 3 in them go, this one is still 1 win away…

I also read where Huddy would get the game 7 start…Petit falls under the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” category…

Pawlie…the G’s avg. age is only a year or so older than KC’s…

The Tavares loss really puts things in perspective doesn’t it? Don’t take it so seriously…like Jeff Kent said…”enjoy the game”.

35. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 27, 2014 at 11:50 am

I think Perez should get the start. That doesn’t mean I think Ishiakawa has done poorly. He’s done remarkably well considering his lack of time out there prior but every time it head his way I hold my breath a bit. Perez has done some positive things lately aside from last night so maybe he’s finally got some confidence going at the plate. Bochy is pretty good at knowing when someone is getting it rolling so maybe he makes that call after BP or something.

36. Bozo said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I don’t think this team cares who the starting pitcher is. Jake, no problem. Romo, sure why not. These guys know how to win a World Series, it is Orange October after all and it is time for a parade. Bring it home, Giants.

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I got my fucking PollyAnna shoes on with ya, John! Fuck yes…time for a parade…let’s DO THIS!

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Fuck Pollyanna? I barely know her . . .

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Is Pollyanna a boots, sneakers or slippers kinda gal?…

• Lurker John said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Hell yeah.

37. WilcoJoe said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Just overheard at a bar in the Southwest terminal of LAX…”As if Monday couldn’t get any worse, look at all these fucking Giant fans.”

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Hah!!! It would be hard not to run around LAX screaming Let’s go, Giants!!!

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:45 pm

THAT is fucking priceless. I would love to have been there.

38. zumiee said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:47 pm

The Giants hit a lot of line-drive outs vs. Ventura the first time. If they can keep squaring up his pitches at that rate, good things should happen.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Agree, zum. They’ve seen the kid 2X through the order in the prior game. No longer a mystery. This kid got hit pretty well during the season, despite the cheddar he throws. MLB hitters eat cheddar for breakfast, lunch and dinner if there’s nothing else on it. I’m thinking they get to him for a few before Yost can wake up and yank him…

39. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 27, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I think they’ll jump all over Ventura. They’re seen him before now and he has a suspect shoulder and won’t be on as much rest. Sure he throws hard but those pitchers usually get handled pretty well by this club.

Was there any kind of curtain call or acknowledgement for Sandoval from the home crowd last night? If there was I must have missed it. Maybe the game just didn’t allow it.

40. snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Nice analysis of Bum’s work and the Series so far…

• Chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Nice read, Tom. Thanks for sharing.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:50 pm

De nada, Chi.
        Though it took 3 WS appearances and a starter’s performance for the ages, there are more writers coming around out there with objective, solid analysis of the Giants…

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Absolutely agree. Thanks again.

41. Alleykat said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Heard Toto’s even switching alliances sporting the Orange&Black doggy blanket that says: There’s no place like San Francisco..

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Nice, kat.
      Speaking of which, it was either some ESPN or FOX dudes talking about the Giants fans as the wearers of the “black and orange”. Of course, these East Coast twits even talk about the SF team’s colors in the wrong order…

• DJLoo said, on October 27, 2014 at 3:12 pm

They used to say black and orange when the team was in NY.
        So did NY fans that followed them after the move.
        After all black is the dominant color.
        Of course most people could (or couldn’t) care less…

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:48 pm

That is interesting history, Loo. I was not aware. I love that there is this continued connection/love for the Giants in NY and back east. I think it is just so damned cool.

42. Nipper said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Sportscasters on the national level…….blah ,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, and more blah, blah, blah, blah!

43. Irish Kevin said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Chi, I have not been there yet. I will let you know. But since they are now the Giants and River Cats I would think that there is a Dugout store there. I will check it out and let you know

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Larry Baer would not MISS the opportunity to sell product at such a great time to move the merch…

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Kevin – I think they are just selling gear out of the Rivercat store. That, or the SF Giants have not updated their web page re: exact locations of all of the Dugout stores. I have just been ordering all of my swag off of Amazon. Prices are almost always better, and no need to drive someplace and hope they have my size. But I am excited as hell that there will be a store in Sacto, again. I remember yearly standing in line at the one in Arden to buy Opening Day tix.

44. sfsarge said, on October 27, 2014 at 2:37 pm

After 2012, I’ve learned to just ignore the national media. It’s firmly established that their eyesight gets murky past Boston. They can keep their accolades, we’ll just hoist pennants and trophies…. The man with the large cap has mostly pushed the right buttons and pulled the right levers and there’s no reason to think that won’t continue tomorrow.

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Could not agree more. If our boys go on to win it all, I see Big Country as MVP and believe it cements Bochy being in the HOF. Sorry I missed you this weekend, Sarge…I am sure we will meet at a future Flapalooza.

• sfsarge said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Yeah, I’m sorry I missed the Saturday crowd. I’d love to meet up at another mini flapalooza. Or maybe a big one.

45. Macdog said, on October 27, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I have no doubt Bochy will manage tomorrow like it’s Game 7. The closest approximation we’ve seen was Game 6 of 2010 NLCS at Philly with Giants up 3-2. Sanchez started, gave up 2 runs in the 1st, and allowed two batters to reach base to start to 3rd before Bochy had seen enough and got Affeldt in there. And MadBum pitched two scoreless innings in relief.

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I was at a sports pub in Pleasanton that night, Mac. Insane night…I remember high-fiving and hugging people I didn’t even know. All that mattered was the fact that the San Francisco Giants were going to the World Series!

46. unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Seeing the title of the thread naturally made me think of this.

Plus you get the best car chase. Ever . . .

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Classic chase, but I’m not sure it’s the best now. Lots of chases out there. Some in the Bourne series were very good. I liked the solo car chase of the subway in the French Connection, too. I still think that was a great flick, it holds up. Hackman was great in that one. After that one and The Conversation, he was down on his luck for a while. In the early 80s when I lived in LA, I saw him in a Westwood bar. He was in a corner by himself totally sloshed…

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Absolutely one of the best chases, and a great movie. Agree with snarkk there are so many out there now, it is impossible to identify “the best ever.”

47. unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I have the same story except it was San Diego (some bar off Mission Beach) and Werner Klemperer. He was there doing some play. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off Broadway. About as far off of Broadway as humanly possible. Nice enough guy once he realized we weren’t going to go all Hogan’s Heroes on his ass (tempting as it was). Well, one of us threw in “I knowwwwwww nuthink!!!!”

Bullitt holds a special place in my heart because when I was a kid mom used to take us to the Hyatt House where they filmed some of that. We would pretend to be tourists and hang out at the pool. I love how many times they pass that same green bug in the chase. Plus, I’ve always been a Ford guy, and that ’67 Mustang kicks ass. Love the skinny-ass tires on the Charger. At least the ‘Stang had some decent meats on it . . .

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I liked Bullitt. McQueen was so cool, he was hot. Died way too young. My older brother had a ’67 Stang, but not the hatchback version, or whatever they called the one in the chase. He had the regular model, kind of a lime green thing. It had the little 289 V-8. Car could move…

• unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Fastback. Some of those were 390s. Mom had a Galaxie 500 with that engine. Sucker flew.

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:05 pm

I am a Camaro guy, and something about the ’69 Camaro just does it for me. But of any non-Camaro car, I did like the early Stangs.

48. unca_chuck said, on October 27, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Yeah, French Connection is a great movie. Just watched that with my son a few months ago.

Did I tell you my Gene Hackman story? I rode a chairlift with him in Sun Valley when I was a kid. Like 7 or 8. He was learning how to ski cuz he was about to do Downhill Racer with Robert Redford, and we shared a chair and a run down the mountain. I knew he was an actor as I’d seen him in Bonnie and Clyde. Dear old mom nearly fainted when I told her. She spent the rest of the trip looking for him.

• DJLoo said, on October 27, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Brooklyn is loaded with guys that own candy stores, two cars, and like to go to nightclubs!

• wswins said, on October 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm

That reminds me… saw James Gandolfini in his last film “The Drop”, set in Brooklyn, is very good and worth seeing…

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:07 pm

It was hard for me to imagine that it wasn’t going to be good. I look forward to seeing it.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Hackman and Dustin Hoffman were starving actor roomates in NYC way back when. I’m trying to imagine Hackman as Benjamin Braddock and Hoffman as Popeye Doyle. Eh, probably not. I think Hackman should have gotten the Oscar for The Conversation instead of or in addition to him getting it for French Connection. A great, small film by Coppola set in SF – if someone hasn’t seen it, get the Netflix. Coppola sure had it going in the ’70s — co-screenwrote Patton, made Godfather, then The Conversation, then Godfather II, then Apocalypse Now. That’s a winning streak…

• Lurker John said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:58 pm

The Conversation is a good movie, one of Hackman’s better films that’s rarely mentioned. I like it so much I went ahead and bought the DVD.

49. wswins said, on October 27, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Funny stuff…Some Giants imitating Bochy

50. James said, on October 27, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Since we are talking movies, and in case eddacker is listening in, someone has uploaded a pretty damn good print of “Chimes at Midnight” to youtube — :

Orson never had a winning streak in his life, but his flicks kick Coppola butt!

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I have never seen this. I will definitely give it a look in its entirety. Thanks for the share, James.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:44 pm

The Third Man was quite good.
      And Orson was very good in those Paul Masson wine spots — given that he was blotto when doing them…

• James said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Orson probably wished he had made The Third Man . . .

51. paulinasia said, on October 27, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I hadn’t realized how uncommon it was to win the Series when heading to the opposing team’s park for the last 2 games, up 3 to 2. Maybe I hadn’t thought about it because the Giants have played so well on the road. Ok, I’m going to stop thinking about it. 🙂 Bochy knows his team. He knew he wouldn’t need much, if any, from the ‘pen yesterday. He also knows he’ll be lucky and happy to get a full 6 out of Peavy and Hudson (if it goes to game 7) and he’ll be ready with Petit after Peavy and probably even Timmy after Hudson. But I think he also knows he does NOT want it to come to that. Win game 6, boys: come out strong, score first, get that early lead, play confident, play error-free…. and the rest will take care of itself.

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Well said, Paul. I think scoring first is definitely key, and holding the lead when Yost has to go to his pen. Another key that I have mentioned is regardless of how deep Peavy goes, they need someone (Stix would say “that fireman” to bridge Peavy to Affeldt, Lopez, Romo and Casilla.

52. sportdude said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Chi…I too loved the look on Butlers face. He was thinking..”That was SICK”.
    Peavy will be fine. He loves Bochy and playing with these Giants. Amazing how many veterans come here on their last legs ( Huff, Burrell, Renteria, Scoots, and others), and give an awesome last gasp effort to help Giants win. Peavy will win the game. He pitches 5 strong and gets taken out when a runner gets on the start the 6th. We pull away in the 6th and 7th…..

• chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I am totally confident with Peavy tomorrow, and think that from all aspects it will be “all hands on deck” and Bochy will manage it like it is a game 7. No one with the Giants wants to see this go 7. They close it out tomorrow.

• snarkk said, on October 27, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Glad you are Chi. KC has been a house of horrors for Peavy. If he does well, it’ll be a change from history…

53. sportdude said, on October 27, 2014 at 7:58 pm

…and just in case…if we are behind and Peavy’s emotions get the best of him it will be Timmy who comes through…

54. chipower9 said, on October 27, 2014 at 9:03 pm

ONE MORE! I am so ready…Let’s Get it On!

55. DJLoo said, on October 28, 2014 at 4:31 am

If Peavy can’t get through five tonight, my guess is that it’ll be Timmy if they’re behind and Petit if they’re tied or ahead…

56. Nipper said, on October 28, 2014 at 4:35 am

GAME SIX ……..JUST GRIND IT OUT!