Parade Day!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 31, 2014

I won’t be there, I’ve had a prior commitment planned outside the Bay Area for the last couple of months. But there’s nothing like a parade. Sounds like some members of The FU are gonna storm The City. If you go, take pictures and send them to me.

Not to “rain” on the parade, but I laughed a little bit to myself yesterday every time I heard someone tell me this is a dynasty. Call it that if you want but I’m not seeing it. We have exactly ONE dominant starting pitcher. We have exactly ONE healthy, high level playing outfielder. Our 3rd baseman is about to bail. I like our infield good enough. That is not a dynasty. We are fucked next year, lol.

But if you want to give someone props for this 3rd one you might want to thank Dan Uggla. Seriously. Had he not sucked so horribly and completely Sabean never would have called up Panik and given him a daily shot at 2nd base. And Joe Panik is absolutely one of the top 2 or 3 reasons that we won it all this year…..

Have fun today wherever you are and whatever you’re gonna do. Knowing dude head nods for all!

1. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2014 at 6:21 am

When I woke up this morning, my first thought was who do we play today?

2. Nipper said, on October 31, 2014 at 6:24 am

Dynasty…..no. Winners……YES!

3. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2014 at 6:45 am

Dynasty? It’s just a bullshit word. So you go on and stamp your forms, sonny, and stop wasting my time.

• Lurker John said, on October 31, 2014 at 10:54 am

lol

4. sfsarge said, on October 31, 2014 at 6:52 am

Great call on uggly! Have fun at the parade if you’re going. I’ll be watching on TV. I’m really conflicted about the dynasty talk. 3 in 5 you have an argument there. But it just doesn’t feel like a dominant team. Can’t call it a dynasty IMHO

5. James said, on October 31, 2014 at 7:33 am

Well, maybe it’s a weak dynasty — as long as SF rules!

6. gianthead said, on October 31, 2014 at 7:33 am

For us east coasters..what time does the parade start?

• gianthead said, on October 31, 2014 at 7:34 am

I just saw MLB network will cover it at 3 pm…

• gianthead said, on October 31, 2014 at 7:35 am

East coast time of course

7. willedav said, on October 31, 2014 at 7:40 am

My take would be similar to what Flav said yesterday, that there has been too many different guys in last 5. 2010 guys in the field were all toast by 2012 except for Pablo (who wasn’t playing much by WS time) and Posey.
    And as he points out today, 14 SPs are Bum and ?

But nobody has won this often in a long time, so Baer and the bean counters can yuk it up. And then Sabes has a lot of tough decisions and moves to make, but with all the extra $$$ generated by playoff run payroll should not be an issue. Bask mode!

8. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2014 at 7:59 am

Regarding Bum, I still like my idea from months ago. Just add $ 10 million per year his current deal and everybody’s happy.

• DJLoo said, on October 31, 2014 at 8:00 am

“to his current deal”

9. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2014 at 8:50 am

Labels? Fuck ’em. This team is what it is.

Greater than the sum of its parts. They were about the 5th-6th best team heading into the playoffs.

My son might cut school and go with some friends. I can’t make it. Haven’t made any of them.

• sfsarge said, on October 31, 2014 at 10:31 am

Greater than the sum of its parts. I love it. That’s exactly what we have here. And it’s a great thing.

10. willedav said, on October 31, 2014 at 8:58 am

The Sky is Crying in south bay right now and what I heard is rain might wrap around the parade, clear up and then come back later tonight.
    Doubt it’s gonna matter much to Chi and those attending tho.

11. Macdog said, on October 31, 2014 at 9:00 am

Have fun everyone watching the biennial championship parade! I’m already looking forward to seeing the trophy at Finnerty’s in NYC sometime this winter. Instead of Market St., can they rename it Madison Ave. today?

12. zumiee said, on October 31, 2014 at 9:35 am

As the national media struggles to understand how the Giants won 3 in 5, I like the quote from one of the Giants players after the 7th game (I don’t remember which player it was) who said “The Giants organization brings in players who have winning in their DNA.” Talent, and a lot of competitive heart and mental toughness. The Giants just keep competing and grinding through. It’s a strong clue to understanding the Bochy-era Giants. They lost a game 17-0 to the Dodgers, and yet a couple of months later, it’s the Giants who are having the World Series championship parade.
    After the 7th game, Morse said “The first day I came to the Giants, Pence told me to visualize the parade.”
    Today, Morse gets to experience what he visualized.

13. wswins said, on October 31, 2014 at 9:40 am

If my grandmother had balls she might’ve been my grandfather…”not to rain on the parade”? then why comment. brutal post. but everyone has their opinion, just like …..

14. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2014 at 10:10 am

Skip-peat lives on!

15. Lurker John said, on October 31, 2014 at 10:53 am

The Giants will re-sign Panda.

16. Lurker John said, on October 31, 2014 at 10:57 am

‘Dynasty’ is another trite word, in my opinion, and doesn’t mean much to me. If others choose to use it, that’s fine by me. The only thing that matters is that my (our) hometown team has won 3 World Series Championships in 5 years, after years of playoff futility, and nothing anyone says about being lucky or any other contrived crap, can change that.

• salty said, on October 31, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Amen.

17. stickman said, on October 31, 2014 at 11:01 am

Sure, it may not be your Daddy’s Dynasty ~ like the turn of the Millennium Yanks ~ but when you win the Big One three years outta five you are, one way or another, a Dynasty. It all depends on how you define the word, dontcha know. People looking over the record books 50 years hence will see SF appearing every other year during the early Teens of the 21st and conclude: “Dynasty”.

18. stickman said, on October 31, 2014 at 11:05 am

Color coordination has become what it is all about. What could be more seasonally appropriate than a Parade down Market Street on Halloween by the Black and Orange Halloween Machine. Charles Schultz would have been weeping tears of joy today to see the Great Pumpkin cruising down Market in the guise of hero-laden limousines.

And who could more perfectly embody the spirit of the occasion than an appearance by the Undertaker?

• Alleykat said, on October 31, 2014 at 11:12 am

Say Stix,
      Wouldn’t it be cool if the “Undertaker”was driving the coffin mobile from “The Munsters” down Market St!!👻

19. Lurker John said, on October 31, 2014 at 11:08 am

How many multiple WS champion teams have had the same roster each time, especially in the free agency era? I can’t believe this is even being debated. It sounds a bit like some of you are qualifying this win. The S.F. Giants have won the Series 3 times. End of story. There is no raining on anyone’s parade today, literally or figuratively, unless you happen to be, you know, a Dodgers fan.

20. twinfan1 said, on October 31, 2014 at 11:38 am

I think it’s reasonable ( and correct ) to posit that the *organization* is a dynasty. To win 3 titles in 5 years is a testament to the men who created these championship teams out of scotch tape and bailing wire. The misfits, the dumpster dives, the cast offs- a changing influx of unlikely heroes- this all speaks to a solid organization surpassed by no other in recent years. Sabean rose from laughing stock to the best GM in the game, Bochy from pumpkin-headed dullard to a HOF manager- those two headed the best brain trust in MLB– an organizational dynasty, IMO.

• Alleykat said, on October 31, 2014 at 11:54 am

Agree Michael,
      This org checks Ego’s out the door.You play for the Giants, you play with pride,and a common goal,winning with class and they instill that process with the players they draft!
      You have an ego issue,they will dump you for players that don’t.

• sfsarge said, on October 31, 2014 at 11:57 am

Well stated Twin.

• wswins said, on October 31, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Well said Mike…Well said

• wilcojoe said, on October 31, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Post of the year, Twin!

21. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Works for me, Mike. The Giants will still only get grudging respect regardless. Like the survey proved no one wanted this team to win. Except for the Bay Area, and a few stragglers around the country.

If this was the Yankees, they’d be having parades on the moon. Today would be a national holiday to celebrate the greatness of them. As it is, the shit today will be about the freak show that is San Francisco.

Ring it on!

• Irish Kevin said, on October 31, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Damn auto correct, Bring it on!! ha ha
      But like Bum said in an interview this team does not get respect, but you don’t need respect to win!!

22. wilcojoe said, on October 31, 2014 at 12:20 pm

“I don’t always post on the flap anymore but when I do, I prefer to post a POTD.”
    -Twinfan

23. unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I think that’s how it happens, John. I think they’ll offer him around the sam,e as Pence and hope he wants to stick around. I don’t think they go above $100 mill (urk).

24. Bozo said, on October 31, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Damn, I love a parade!

25. Macdog said, on October 31, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I’m trying to get my daughter to watch the parade: “It’s not every year the Giants have a World Series parade. It’s every other year, hahaha.”

26. Alleykat said, on October 31, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Side note to BF,
    We’re gonna need more room at the bottom of the page for “Our 2014 World Series Ring & Flag”
    And that’s always a great thing!
    Can’t wait to see how much “$Bling” and design they put into these bad boys!! Bet their gonna be the 💣

27. zumiee said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:08 pm

And another trip for the Giants to visit the White House and hang out with the President. All the spoils of championship victory. It’s an awesome thing.

28. zumiee said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:13 pm

And to get to wear World Series champion patches on their jerseys all next season.
    In addition to another championship flag at the ballpark, and another big championship logo on the outfield wall.
    And Bochy managing the All-Star game….
    Lots of very cool perqs for being champs. 🙂 🙂 🙂

29. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:21 pm

The mayor just homered off Strickland…

• Lurker John said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:55 pm

LOL

• Irish Kevin said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Need to be able to do thumbs up for some of these remarks
      That was priceless

30. Macdog said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Some of these speeches are longer than the 18-inning game.

31. DJLoo said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:48 pm

The Marichal-Roseboro incident took place on Tito’s 4th day in the majors (I think).
    He is #26 in the photo below:

• unca_chuck said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:58 pm

All cuz Sandy wouldn’t throw inside.

• willedav said, on October 31, 2014 at 6:58 pm

yeah, classic shot of Tito bringing the wood from on deck circle. As I remember that was on front page of Chron sports section next morning.

32. Irish Kevin said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:54 pm

yeah the whole searching for a 2nd baseman was a total cluster fuck. but at least we did get a 2nd baseman.
    I am going to wait to post later, maybe a month or two to give my opinion on what the Giants should do going forward. But one thing they need to do NOW, is start trusting the players in AAA and AA.

• Lurker John said, on October 31, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Especially starting pitching and hopefully a good left field prospect.

33. zumiee said, on October 31, 2014 at 4:30 pm

And not that it necessarily matters, but anyone that thinks the 2014 Giants only got in the playoffs because of a second Wild Card being added is wrong. The Giants and Pirates tied for the Wild Card, and in previous years they would have played a tie-breaker game, and the Pirates would have been the home team because of season tie-breakers, so, in essence, everything would have been exactly the same.
    I’m just sayin.’

34. zumiee said, on October 31, 2014 at 4:31 pm

It’s pounding rain in the Central Valley right now, and it’s a beautiful sound……

35. zumiee said, on October 31, 2014 at 4:36 pm

Great parade, great rally. I’m watching a few clips of it right now. I like how the players have fun with their speeches, and give the fans a little insight into the clubhouse humor and bond of the players.
    And writing the word “bond” reminds me to say how cool it was that the Giants invited Bonds to be a part of things today. It was time to do it, and it’s cool that they did it. It feels like a kind of closure regarding that, like the Giants family is complete now.

36. snarkk said, on October 31, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Back from the parade. Great time. Pence stopped right in front of us and whipped the crowd into a Yes Yes Yes chant. Awesome. Mad bum stopped and lifted his MVP trophy to chants of MVP! MVP !! Great day to be a lifelong Giants fan — it does not get any better than this!!!

37. Bozo said, on October 31, 2014 at 4:53 pm

It looked to me like the teeth on the key to the city was the number 25. That thing must have been sitting around city hall since 2002.

38. willedav said, on October 31, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I was thinking this morning how cool it is for K and K too. Kuiper, we all know, messes up names all the time and goes through the Wrap with post game meal. Krukow has debilitating medical condition that seriously hampers his mobility. Neither of these guys are kids any more and how much longer they last, who knows.

Both were heavy into it and very insightful the few times I listened on radio during Series. It was refreshing to hear and you could feel their enthusiasm for the stage..

• DJLoo said, on October 31, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Right now, everything is cool, willedav…