An Impossible Five That Really Did Happen

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 1, 2014

Watching the parada on tv, it was so clear what a special group of men these guys are. As improbable as it all was, there were several enduring post season memories for me in 2014. I think I’d rank mine like this:

1) The Perez double. Seeing where that ball went on the wall, basically taking a divot out of it, on a day that was devastating for Perez might be my most enduring moment. Knowing he had to swing the bat against that sick reliever fighting back tears throughout…..jesus.

2) Pence on the Fence. I changed my facebook pic to the black and white of Pence on the Fence (thank you DIRT) and I don’t see that coming down. I said at the time, it was as if the fence caught HIM. If it was possible to burn a single image on to my soul, that would be it. I gotta see about turning that into a shirt.

3) Ishikawa’s blast. I mean, how is this not # 1, right? It easily could be I just think the other 2 might be slightly more enduring. For me.

4) The Panik double play. I still can’t believe that play was reversed. But I’ll take it and gladly ask for seconds. We’ve all seen a flip like that a hundred times but the timing was impeccable, Crawford’s turn rock solid, and all under the great magnitude of Game 7. Just a stunning display of grit and skill by both men.

5) Morse’s bomb. I could have seen bumping this one up a space or two. Miller’s home run call nearly brought tears to my eyes, as did the child-like jaunt around the bases by Morse. For a guy who had to wait and wait and wait and still come back and not me completely healthy—to do THAT in THAT moment. His homerun gave us something we were desperate for: hope.

I know there were others but I have to get ready for a big BC day. List off or rank your favorites, it’s a fun thing to do.

1. DJLoo said, on November 1, 2014 at 7:31 am

6) Gordon standing on 3rd, when I expected to see him crossing home. It seemed like that ball was in the outfield for 20 minutes. Monte Stratton would’ve scored on that play…

• Flavor said, on November 1, 2014 at 7:44 am

well, had he not dogged it to first base he might have had a shot. He really didn’t start running (“Pence Running”) till just before the first base bag. “for all you young players out there….”

• unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2014 at 8:01 am

Bingo. If he runs that out, the game is tied.

2. unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2014 at 8:02 am

It amazes me how few (if any) players actually play like Pence. . .

3. Macdog said, on November 1, 2014 at 8:12 am

Like you said Flav, so many to choose from. Maybe Belt’s HR in the top of the 18th? That game might’ve been the biggest win in all the postseason. And now the contrast of Williams yanking a dominant Zimmermann at the first sign of trouble in the 9th, and Bochy leaving in MadBum to finish Game 7 of the World Series on short rest.

4. Nipper said, on November 1, 2014 at 8:17 am

Baseball is a team sport but it helps to have a horse like MadBUM.

5. unca_chuck said, on November 1, 2014 at 8:23 am

I;d put Panik’s home run in my top 5, for obvious reasons. But it would be hard to bump one of those out. OK, top 10 . . .

6. Panik’s HR
    7. Perez’s double-saving catch
    8. The single barrage in game 4
    9. Crawifsh’s granny to get the playoffs rolling
    10. Belt;s 18th inning HR.
    10 a). Petit’s 6 innings.

6. paulinasia said, on November 1, 2014 at 8:36 am

Pence on the Fence t-shirt, abso-f-ing-lutely, Craig…. All great plays and memories. The image that will last for me is … the last image of game 7: Buster and MadBum raising their arms and then hugging, brilliantly synchronized, as Pablo squeezes the ball for the final out, while Pablo falls onto his back in pure joy and then gets swept away by the wave of Giants streaming the field…. Pure poetry.

7. paulinasia said, on November 1, 2014 at 8:47 am

And… I’d be hard-pressed to come up with too many trades in the history of baseball that were more *impactful* for a team than the pretty-much-nobody-for-Pence trade. Love it when Sabean pulls off that kind of trade (he’s had a few)….

• Nipper said, on November 1, 2014 at 9:12 am

A gift from the Phillies.

8. Bozo said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:06 am

I’m going to wimp out and say, all the above.
    It seemed to me like each day had some sort of highlight.

The photo of Bum riding the horse behind city hall yesterday was my parade highlight. I guess I missed it on the tube but I thought the photo was perfect.

9. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:12 am

Great plays and moments listed so far….I’ll add that play in the 9th inning of the last Cardinal game, when Pablo dove and deflected the ball to Craw, who threw to second to get a huge out.

Today on the MLB network it’s Giants-mania. They’re replaying a bunch of the Giants’ playoff games. I just re-watched the last few innings of the first game against the Nats. Romo got two huge outs in the 8th inning, with 2 Nats on base. He struck somebody out, and then got Harper to ground out to Belt.
    In the 9th, Casilla jumped off the mound nicely to field a swinging bunt, but made a bad throw to firstbase. Belt showed great footwork in hauling in that throw.
    It’s all a reminder how many pivotal plays happen. And the Giants made so many of those plays happen in a positive direction.

That first game against the Nats also had a strong performance from Peavey. I was down on Peavey’s World Series performance, but the Nats game is a nice reminder of his better performances for the Giants. Do the Giants re-sign him? We’ll see. It’ll be a very interesting hot-stove season.

• Flavor said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:40 am

Excellent point– can’t believe I forgot that one

10. salty said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:13 am

Dont knowmif this was mentiined. .you can relive all those moments today mlb showing nlds and nlcs.

Game 2 just started..

I go with Ishi if I had to pick one. Considering his vagabond history. Belt Morse you can see hitting a bomb, but Ishi for the title? And him throwing down his helmet had me screaming and getting choked up.

• salty said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:15 am

Ah, zumiee beats me to it.

• zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:16 am

I mentioned the MLB Network thing only a minute before you, Salty. 🙂

• salty said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:24 am

Good timing 🙂

11. salty said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:40 am

This is Terrific looking back. Zimmerman 1 out away from a shutout. I had forgotten Panik just missed hitting one out.

12. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:43 am

Great article in The Onion: 🙂

13. salty said, on November 1, 2014 at 11:53 am

That’s funny.

14. salty said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Hey Flavor, good luck on the Breeders Cup. Any good longshots you care to pass on?

15. snarkk said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:04 pm

My top 2 postseason moments were:
    1. Ishi pennant winner HR
    2. Belt HR in the 18th in DC

#1 may not happen without #2 happening first. Very dramatic moments, both, with Ishi’s obviously a moment “for the ages”. Whenever I have a chance, I’ll promote Belt. I think this guy quietly solidifies the infield, and gives the LU a needed spot of occasional power and good ABs. How canybody can talk trading the guy is beyond me. A gold glove 1Bman with developing pop, on the cheap/arbitration for the next few years. You can’t do better than that for that position. In the post-season, Belt was: .295 BA, .397 OBP, .361 SLG , .758 OPS. Very solid for a guy that missed half the season with injuries. Next year, hopefully a full year with no injury, this guy will go get it done and be a real force. If anything, he needs to be a little less discerning at the plate, and swing it at close pitches, especially with men on. He’s a power guy, he needs to cut it loose and drive in more runs. Cut down on the called third Ks hoping for a walk, take some swinging Ks in exchange for mashing more. He can lose a little OBP in exchange for higher SLG and get that OPS up to around .800. With his power and good speed, he should be at an SLG well over .400 next year…

16. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:11 pm

An annotated list of the top 150 free agents:

17. snarkk said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I had to laugh this morning listening to Urban on the FM sports station. Some obviously gripping A’s fan called in and blasted the Giants for being inconsistent over the last 5 years, i.e., being down the 2 years in between. And then, the inevitable bitter criticism of the Giants blocking the A’s from moving to SJ. Seriously, these A’s fans have got to be using lots of Alka Seltzer. They need to get a life and worry about their own team. Would they take 3 WS championships over 5 years, or rather have a guarantee of making the playoffs every year for 5 years, but no guarantee of winning any playoff series in those 5 years? It is to laugh, and to bask…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I’ve got a couple of old friends that are A’s fans and they’re pretty bitter about this successful run. It’s strange to me but I guess A’s fans spends a lot of time pissed about the Giants.

18. DJLoo said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Rich Tapestry in the Sprint.
    A race I have never cashed.

19. snarkk said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’m wondering what the Giants can do differently in the offseason to avoid another down year in 2015. This extra month of games obviously takes a toll compared to teams not in the playoffs. But, for some reason it seems to affect the Giants more in the next season than other playoff teams the last 5 years. Hopefully, they have figured out how to get these players the proper offseason rest and rehab workouts, and in Spring Training to get only enough work in that they need, not any more. They need to keep these guys “fresh” for an entire next season. As for Posey, that goes in spades…

• zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:41 pm

The World baseball tourney probably hurt the Giants in ’13. Vogey, Scutaro, Casilla, and Pablo played in that, I think. Scutaro, especially, didn’t need it. I think that tourney has its heart in the right place, but that tourney is not the friend of the MLB teams.

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 1, 2014 at 12:53 pm

#1. Bumgarner game 7.
    #2. Ishiwalkoff.
    #3. Belt bat flip.
    #4. Pence at the fence.
    #5. Panik, Crawford double play in game 7.
    #6. Blanco bunt for the win in game 3 of the NLCS.

21. snarkk said, on November 1, 2014 at 1:00 pm

For you baskers, KNBR is replaying WS Game #7 at 3 pm today…

22. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 1:08 pm

It’s not a big deal, but I was a little perplexed by Amy G.’s interview with Steve Perry yesterday. She had no idea when the Journey songs are played, or that it was more than one song. Perry had to correct her on that. She said “The song is played in the 6th or 7th inning?”
    Perry: “The song is played before the bottom of the 8th.”
    Amy G: “Oh yeah.”
    Yer killin’ me, Amy G.
    And it’s not just one song. They play “Don’t Stop Believing” if the Giants are behind or tied. And they play “Lights” if the Giants are ahead. I go to about 5 or 6 games a season, and Amy G. is there EVERY HOME GAME.
    I don’t know, that bugged me for some reason. It seemed lazy on her part, IMO.

• snarkk said, on November 1, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Maybe she schedules a bathroom break in the middle of the 8th…

23. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 2:01 pm

One of my favorite plays from the playoffs was Affeldt’s sprint to firstbase with the ball in the 9th inning of a game vs. the Cardinals (the last game?) Any time Affeldt has to throw to a base, it’s ‘hold your breath’ time, and it became immediately clear….he wasn’t going to have to throw! His momentum was carrying him right to firstbase! Very cool play.

24. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm

It’s a real joy-fest on the True Blue L.A. blog:

What did we do as a fan base
    To suffer through this shit every even numbered year?

by Falcon_Fury on Oct 30, 2014 | 4:05 PM reply

Kirk Gibson is the anti christ
    its pretty obvious

by NotJoeTorre on Oct 30, 2014 | 4:05 PM up reply

How come Orel isn’t?

by meercatjohn on Oct 30, 2014 | 4:07 PM up reply

baseball is dead to me

by Falcon_Fury on Oct 30, 2014 | 4:12 PM up reply

fucking Giants

by meercatjohn on Oct 30, 2014 | 4:36 PM up reply

25. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Here’s something an angry Dodger fan named Mark Timmons wrote. When he says “The Trade,” I guess he’s talking about the big trade with the Red Sox (Gonzalez, Crawford, and Beckett.)

“First of all, Madison Bumgarner is the greatest pitcher in World Series History! For Real! No arguments! Disagree all you Want – SCOREBOARD!

When your team (the Dodgers) is in the same division as the team who has won the World Series three of the last five years, you are… well… you are their Bitches! Disagree all you Want – SCOREBOARD!

“But the Dodgers had to make THE TRADE to put butts in seats” Pure, unadalterated Horse Bleep! Disagree all you Want – SCOREBOARD!

The Giants Stadium holds 15,000 less than the Dodgers. While the Dodgers were focused in putting butts in seats, the Giants were focused on putting another World Series Trophy in their Stadium! Disagree all you Want – SCOREBOARD!

I’ll say it again: The Dodgers were built to win the Division, while the Giants were built to win the World Series. Disagree all you Want – SCOREBOARD!

THE TRADE WAS AN EPIC FAIL. NED WAS AN EPIC FAIL. THE DODGERS ARE AN EPIC FAIL! Disagree all you Want – SCOREBOARD!

Can Andrew Friedman save the Guggenheims from themselves? I hope so! This is hard to take. Put down the Kool-Aid. This ain’t the way to do it! Disagree all you Want – SCOREBOARD!”

• snarkk said, on November 1, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Luv the “…well, you are their Bitches”…

26. Lurker John said, on November 1, 2014 at 4:06 pm

All of the moments listed are worthy candidates, but I’m going to go a little outside the box. All the True Blue Blog posts zumiee posted here made the ongoing saga of the 2014 Postseason even more enjoyable. So yes, among all the great things that happened in these playoffs, I’d add that to the list. 😉

• zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Thanks! I probably enjoy the despair of Dodger fans more than I should, but then again….their fans were strutting pretty mightily after the Dodgers beat the Giants 17-0, and the Dodgers had that bubble machine going in their dugout, and Hanley had his goggle gesture going, and the Dodgers were yucking it up in the dugout pretty well. I wonder what happened to the bubble machine. I visualize the last person out of their dugout, after they got eliminated by St. Louis, tossing it into a trash can.

27. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 4:51 pm

The MLB network is replaying Game 1 vs. the Cardinals, and I had forgotten about the amazing non-call on the possible Bum balk, with a Cardinal runner on 3rd. Who knows how the game would have played out had an ump called that a balk. Maybe no big difference, or maybe a big difference. I’m glad we didn’t have to find out.

28. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Speaking of the Dodgers, they’re pretty high on their shortstop prospect who’s playing in the AFL All-Star game that’s coming on in a few minutes on the MLB network.
    Here’s the starting lineups:

5:08 P.M. MT
    West
    DH: Francisco Lindor (CLE)
    CF: Tyrone Taylor (MIL)
    C: Peter O’Brien (ARI)
    2B: Tony Renda (WSH)
    3B: Kaleb Cowart (LAA)
    DH: Josh Bell (PIT)
    SP: Archie Bradley (ARI)

• zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Giants’ top prospects, Panik, Susac, and Duffy, were too busy winning a World Series championship. 🙂

29. zumiee said, on November 1, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Bird (NYY) just hit an HR about 440 feet. He’s a lefty power-hitting 1B.

• Lurker John said, on November 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I happened to be watching that game when Bird crushed that homer. That was a big fly in a big park. First AFL action I’ve ever seen.

30. Lurker John said, on November 1, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Another moment, small enough that it might not make a list of the greatest plays of the playoffs, but on Gordon’s misplayed single in the 9th inning of game 7, when Perez finally got the ball back in, Crawfish made a nifty short hop pickup of the throw. If you look at it a couple of times you’ll see that it wasn’t an easy play. If he doesn’t make it, Gordon scores easily. That whole sequence was a but puckering stretch, but Crawford saved that play. Bum did the rest.

• Lurker John said, on November 1, 2014 at 7:29 pm

butt puckering

31. Nipper said, on November 1, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Does Rooster still have a pulse? His ego must be sorely bruised.

32. willedav said, on November 2, 2014 at 7:13 am

Saw Warriors new look offense last night, lot of ball movement, screens away from ball, more touches for Bogut (an excellent passer). Looked real good, Thompson and Curry were on, had plenty of help.
    Kobe put on show in losing effort, but that’s bound to get old. J Lin is terrible and D sorely lacking.

Only drag is the new sideline babe, Roz Gold-Onwude. She played at Stanford, sucking so badly as PG with zero shooting range that she got benched. Rebranded as *defensive specialist* as a senior. Heard her do some Pac 12 college games, now rebranded as sideline babe all dolled up and asking stupid questions. Why do networks bother with this shit? She asked Klay how to stop Kobe…eventually he said, “Get a hand up and pray”, while shaking his head.

Did Erin Andrews add anything whatsoever to WS experience?