Kershaw, Pablo and Kuiper’s KNBR Comments

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 13, 2014

CK won the CY and he is a most deserved winner. I think he should win the MVP, too. No one was even close to more valuable during the regular season, in either league, than Kershaw.

Listening to Kuiper on KNBR coming into work this morning and he was commenting on The Panda going to Boston to visit with Red Sox brass. At one point he said, “hey, if we’re lucky they’ll take him to an all-you-can-eat place.” Clearly, he was making a joke about Pablo “eating out his welcome” with his new potential employer. At first I couldn’t believe he said that on the air. It just seemed so juvenile. And then I remembered the countless Pablo-fat jokes that I’ve made here at the blog and elsewhere. And in that moment, I regretted those comments.

But still, I don’t understand how a team employee gets away with making comments like that on the air.

Did anyone else hear that? I’m sure it’ll be on the KNBR website later today……

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 13, 2014 at 8:31 am

I don’t usually catch that segment but heard it this morning as well. Not only Kuiper but Murph or Mac was also riffing off on it. Strange but I don’t think there is much to it. I mean, sure they should know better but the team can’t censor them in real time.

2. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2014 at 9:17 am

Shit, it’s all fair game as long as the prevailing sentiment allows it. I mean, look at Aaron Rowand. All we heard about him was the hard work, the time he spends honing his, uh, craft, blah blah blah andf the 10,000swings he takes per day. NEVER a negative word about the guy through some God-awful ABs and seasons and absolute shittiness. Belt used to catch a ton of shit from Kruk and Kuip (oh oh, here comes a strike-out. Hey! He hit it!) for nothing other than his body language.

Posey as well. He can do no wrong no matter what, yet Panda is a joke, from Papa making fun of his English speaking ability to the fat jokes he must constantly hear on the airwaves. Sure, SOME of it is in fun, and I’m sure Pablo gets it, but Kruk and Kuip should at least be a little above that kind of petty shit. Esp when they blow smoke up the ass of so many others who aren’t as good or productive. But again, since the prevailing sentiment is that everyone’s making light of it, why shouldn’t they? Bullshit to me. Pablo has earned the respect of the fans for the most part. The non-brain-dead ones anyway. The fucking team ought to grant him that.

• Alleykat said, on November 13, 2014 at 10:01 am

Great Post Chuck!
      I agree totally on the players who get all the slack on this team over the years. “Constipation Pants Rowand “never took shit from Kruk,especially on his lame ass hitting which goes with his lame ass stance, yet Belt’s been reamed constantly through out his career along with Panda.
      Kruk& Kuip hold high standards to only the players they care about the most,and the rest are pond scum to them.

3. zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 9:35 am

Like Kuiper should talk anyway; Kuiper’s not exactly Mr.Thin these days.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on November 13, 2014 at 9:39 am

Y’all see these MadBum impersonations?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 13, 2014 at 9:51 am

Haha, good one. I thought Bochy was going to get away with licking his lips and sayin’ nothin.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 13, 2014 at 10:12 am

Regarding that interview. One thing that stuck out to me was Kuiper pointing out that he didn’t like Sandoval going to Boston for a visit but it was his prerogative as a FA, which I agree with. What I would be concerned with is the hard sell behind closed doors. From his public comments, his agent seems sort of green to me and I could see a 4 hour offer put on the table and panic setting in. Hopefully Sandoval keeps a clear head.

One angle coming out of Boston is the whole “imagine Big Papi and Sandoval and how great they’ll be”. I don’t get that at all. What does Ortiz have left? 2 year maybe 3? He’s lucky to be so well liked in MLB front offices or he probably would have been popped for roids already. Wasn’t he mentioned in the Mitchell report? I seem to remember a lot of Boston players being whitewashed from that investigation which was spearheaded by former members of their FO.

Anyways, the Giants just went 3 in 5 and look at what Sandoval has around him. Posey, Pence, Belt, Pagan. Guaranteed for at least another 2 more years with that entire group and quite a few more with most of them or just Posey and possibly Belt.

• Flavor said, on November 13, 2014 at 10:18 am

also, how cool is Papi gonna be with Panda making more dough than him? That dude is constantly trippin’ on his deal

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 13, 2014 at 10:39 am

Yeah, good point. I don’t even pay much attention to the AL and I know he’s been a drama queen over his contract.

I’m not one to think that Sandoval is going to go for any sort of hometown discount but I think that when you consider the players in place in SF that are locked up and the FO track record when it comes to pitching the two teams are pretty much on a parallel path when it comes to competing and post season opportunities.

6. Alleykat said, on November 13, 2014 at 10:49 am

Think their probably “Slide” Panda’s contract between Pence& Posey’s deals. Somewhere around 5/92 with a club option on a 6th year.
    He would make a little more coin then Hunter but less then Posey’s average.

7. salty said, on November 13, 2014 at 11:00 am

I’m just not worried one iota if Pablo moves on. Of course a lot easier to say with 3 titles in the bag. But I could live with the drop off. And won’t miss all the nonsense about weight.

There are or will be other options. Cardinals have been fine without Pujols. How many titles have the Angels Texas LA won since spending a shitload on FA’s? You would think Boston would get it after they unloaded all those absurd contracts on LA and then won a title.
    Now they re looking to sign a Lester or Scherzer for $170m. Question whether they really are going to be willing to go 6/110 on the Panda. If they do, c’est la vie. Sign Tomas, the Cuban OFer.

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2014 at 11:29 am

What do you call Posey’s deal? Or Cain’s? Or even Bummie’s?

Beyond that, our offense isn’t nearly as stacked as StL’s was when they lost Pooholes. We may not have spent a lot on FAs but we avoided that by signing Posey to an astronomical deal, Cain as well, and Pence got a pretty big deal himself, hometown discount or no. The point being, you can’t cheap out all the time and expect to keep winning. Granted, these shots in the dark with the likes of Burrell, Ross, Scoots, and now Morse have paid off huge, while Rowand, Zito, Cain, and Timmy are (or were) sucking while the ship sailed on were shots in the arm, to simply say we can blow off Pablo’s production doesn’t sit well with me.

Imagine a banjo hitter like Perez at 3rd next year. Or even Arias. His defense is worse, and his offense is way worse. Come July when the hitting is in the tank and we are getting zip from 3rd, we’d be hard pressed not to miss Panda.

• salty said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Had a pet rabbit we affectionately called Bummie. 😉

Pence deal might be more analogous. Use, they have to pay to play. Not saying you don’t spend when necessary. And within reason.

Point is, it’s not all going to hell if Pablo doesn’t return. Conversely, their is no guarantee they roll to another title or three with him back as a $100m player. Lots of guys struggle to live up to the $$.

I’m just savoring this latest one too much to honestly care one way or the other. If he returns great, if not, look at other options.

• salty said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Yes, you have to pay to play…

There is…

• zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:53 pm

….a house in New Orleans?

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I’m sure they’ll do something, but I still think the best case scenario is to keep him. Looks like his pricetag might be sliding down a bit.

• Bozo said, on November 13, 2014 at 6:51 pm

They call the rising sun?

8. Alleykat said, on November 13, 2014 at 11:12 am

Yeah Salty,
    I commented on that kid Tomas the other day. Him and Carbonell who we already have, would sure look good together in the OF in a few years.
    Tomas has 30+HR power and is projected a corner OF.Carbonell a ton of speed and plays CF, put those 2 out their with the madman in RF and that could turn out to be a very special OF.

9. willedav said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Abreu notwithstanding, I’m leery of handing out big $$$$ contracts to Cuban guys. Some of them haven’t panned out after 1 good season like Dayan Viciedo, and I’d include Cespedes there.
    Puig’s numbers in second half last year were pretty ordinary, and of course his base running and fielding gaffes are legion. No way to tell but Puig could easily turn into next Soriano, with high price tag limited skills he chooses to use and uncoachable tude..

• DJLoo said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Willie might be right.
      The Tropicana never gave Ricky Ricardo more than a 2 year deal…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Maybe your best ever, DJ. Well played, well played.

• salty said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:42 pm

There’s been so many hard to say…

• Alleykat said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Gold Loo!
        The Tropicana saved money when Lucy snuck in the act as well😄

10. DJLoo said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I think I just heard Alvin Dark died…

• zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Part of him died when black players were allowed to play in major league baseball.

• gaints54 said, on November 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Really? Mays considered the guy an important mentor and so did Ozzie Smith. Jackie Robinson said he was a gentleman and unbiased.

11. zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Good point, Willie; the Dodgers gave a good chunk of money to get Guerrero and Arrebuena, who underwhelmed last season. Both spent most of the season in the minors, and Guerrero, of course, got a chunk of his ear chewed off in a dugout altercation. Guerrero has a clause in his 5-year contract that says, starting next season, he can’t be sent down to the minors. He has to be on the big league club.
    The Dodgers have been in a “win now” mode, and they’ve taken on a lot of bad contracts. Their new front office personnel is now wading through those bad contracts and probably shaking their head in wonder.

• Alleykat said, on November 13, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Guerrero should of had a Mike Tyson ear clause in his contract as well. Maybe Evander Holyfield should be his agent.

12. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Yeah, the joke was after the trade, Magic Johnson was Boston’s favorite GM. A-Gon and Crawford are huge weights around their collective neck to the tune of $140 mill. Barbara Billingsley has $15 mill, Greinke $84 mill, Kemp $107 mill (!!!), and Kershaw $193 million. QAt least Beckett is off the books.

Jesus!

• willedav said, on November 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Talk on mlbtr (talk, sure) is Greinke can opt out after 1 more year and is just watching to see how much Lester, Shields and Scherzer get and then he’s gonzo. He’s never been shy about admitting he’s into the best contract.
      The Cuban kid’s deal apparently will be $100 mil spread out over multiple years; maybe he takes less years/$$$ and tests market after a few for the big deal. I could see spending big for Lester, proven top of rotation SP.

My sister is huge Lucy fan and I’m getting her a DVD of their first season (+). So how did these two, from such different cultures, ever get together in the first place? Whose brainstorm was it to pair them up?

13. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2014 at 1:38 pm

They were already married before the show started . . .

14. salty said, on November 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Latest rumor is “Felipe Alou is pushing Giants for Yasmani Tomas as a 3b”??

15. Bozo said, on November 13, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Am I the only one who is still wondering when KC is going to run wild on us?

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm

lqtm.

I was just hoping somewhere along the line we’d steal base #2 so we could say we doubled up on their steals. . .

• Bozo said, on November 13, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Hah. Yeah you right, Unca.

16. zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Gaints54 (Gaints?), I’ve read a lot of stuff about Alvin Dark being a rascist jerk in his earlier years, but if others didn’t see him that way, that’s their side of the story, and to be considered, too.

17. zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Yeah, Bozo and Chuck, there was all the pre-Series media hype and blather about how the speedy Royals were re-inventing the game. In fact, I think James called it blather, or possibly another word that starts with the letter “b”.

• James said, on November 13, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Piffling balderdash!

18. zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Kershaw won the MVP. It became a certainty after Stanton got hit in the face by a pitch with a month to go in the season.

• Flavor said, on November 13, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Even if Stanton had kept playing, Kershaw was the MVP of the NL. IMO.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on November 13, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Love him or be oblivious about him, Alvin Dark was an important part of Giants history, in New York and San Francisco. I think it is too easy to judge him through the lens of current culture in terms of racial issues. Over all, I’d venture that Willie Mays loved him and misses him. Requiescat in pace.

20. pawliekokonuts said, on November 13, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Colin Cowherd had a very good riff today that I heard. He said team owners in all sports spend the money on the wrong things. He repeatedly cited the Royals (too often) and the Giants as examples of teams who did NOT fall for the myth of the sexy star. Said the big star is like a sports car; can’t put groceries in the back seat or take kids to soccer. Said in football you need offensive linemen more than QBs or receivers. Compared offensive line to anonymous middle relievers. They win games. I bring all this up, because in my view it underscores all the more how foolish it would be to overpay Pablo Sandoval. I’m with Magnus and others in how much we love Panda, but if we can get 3 or 4 or even 5 other decent players over the years with that kind of dough, well… or even ONE other decent player. The point is, let’s not go crazy over any one player, no matter who he is. Example contracts? Zito. Rowand. No more need be said.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 13, 2014 at 7:16 pm

To my point above: they’re talking about the Marlins paying Stanton $300 million over 10 years?! Go ahead. As Cowherd said, in his rant about paying for stars, that’s like spending millions on an Elvis painting. That’s what rich people do.

• DJLoo said, on November 13, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Rockefellers own racehorses. Big-shot mafiosos own racehorses.
        Waiters don’t own racehorses, Pawlie…

• blade3colorado said, on November 14, 2014 at 2:01 am

Wonderful point Pawlie. Unequivocally agree. Sandoval’s “star” is burning brightest right NOW. Why? Second to Bum, he was most responsible for winning us the World Series. I WILL NEVER FORGET HOW IMPORTANT HE WAS TO US WINNING NOT ONLY THIS WORLD SERIES, BUT ALSO HIS KEY ROLE IN PAST SEASONS AND POST SEASONS AS WELL.

However, I am not going to have amnesia for all the other times I can remember he swung at 1st pitches and grounded or popped out to an infielder; was too heavy to field his position; went MIA performance wise for months; and gained weight, then annually went to a “fat farm” to lose it.

Yeah, he’s important, but not irreplaceable in my opinion. Oh, one last point about “stars” . . . Supernovas burn brightest right before they burn out.

21. snarkk said, on November 13, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Both Chuck and Kat nailed it early today. Belt caught crap from Kruk and Kuip constantly. Yeah, to the point they sounded surprised when he got a hit. They never talked about how he had obviously been brought up too quickly to cover for the Huff disaster that was ongoing in 2012. And, that Bam Bam was screwing with his swing while the kid was OJT in the big leagues. JT Snow was honest on KNBR once during that time and flat said they brought up Belt too soon. Rohand was crap, but somehow as a vet with a big paycheck, he was “working” hard, taking swings until you’d think his hands bled — so nary a peep from K&K as he incessantly rolled over grounders to the left side. If/when Panda leaves, I wouldn’t doubt some stories “leak” that won’t be too kind to Panda, and they might “leak” from K&K. I don’t think they’re beyond that for the PR good of the organization, should that be needed on some post-Panda “well, he wasn’t that great anyway” campaign…

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 13, 2014 at 7:18 pm

OJT?

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2014 at 7:24 pm

On the job training…

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 13, 2014 at 7:25 pm

TY

• DJLoo said, on November 13, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Whenever I see TY, I always think of Ty Cline.
        A true sign of a demented Giant fan.
        Ty Cline hit one HR as a Giant.
        A 3 run job off Big D in ’68…

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I’ll miss Panda if he leaves. The problem is when he’s really good, he’s really good. Almost, makes you forget stretches when he’s swinging at tons of crap and looking bad. And, he’s always seemed, anyway, at least outwardly, to have a ‘tude. A good one…

• James said, on November 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Agree of course on the treatment Belt received from K&K, but not so sure on the he was brought up too early narrative. The cry baby made the team in 2011 out of camp, before Huff flailed. When he returned after being sent down, he did ok:

IMO, he shouldn’t have been sent down at all. The whole offense except Pablo wasn’t doing that much anyhow. Belt did wind up with a higher OPS in 2011 than the demi-God Joe Panik did this year. Panik’s OPS at the same number of games (19) Belt was sent down in 2011: 549

Belt’s 2012 was actually a pretty fair season.

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2014 at 9:21 pm

IMO Belt was brought up the first time far too early, I’ll go with JT, he worked with the kid. I wont beat a dead horse, he had something like just over 600 minor league PAs before they brought him up the first time in 2011. That’s not much, even for a player who had top tier college experience. Especially when they were making him do swing changes while he was with the big club that first stint. Something like changing tires while driving on the freeway. Yeah, Belt’s 2012 was definitely decent. He’s arb eligible through 2017, FA in 2018. For contracts, he’ll have to be wary of getting screwed like MadBum vs. cognizant of his concussion issues. Were I him, I’d sign only a one year deal for 2015, have a break out year hopefully with no injury, and then cash in…

22. willedav said, on November 13, 2014 at 8:02 pm

In the Mays and Marichal bios are details of the famous quotes from Dark about black and latin ballplayers not playing the game as intelligently as white ball players.
    Now this is coming from a guy who had Willie Mays Orlando Cepeda Willie McCovey and Juan Marichal, 4 HOFs, on his team. He’s also the guy who banned latin music favored by Cepeda from the clubhouse.
    And of course despite all these guys and others, never won the big one.

Whether Dark changed his mind or not or the players involved forgave him, he really did say this stuff.

23. Macdog said, on November 13, 2014 at 8:31 pm

From the AP Dark story: “He managed San Diego for the second half of the 1977 season, then was fired during spring training in 1978 after saying he wanted to make several big moves, including putting newcomer Ozzie Smith at shortstop.”

Say what?

24. zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 9:40 pm

The Sac Kings gave one away tonight, and showed how difficult it can be sometimes for a team to get over the hump, and learn how to win, how to close out games. They were ahead of a good Memphis team by 1 point, with .3 seconds left on the clock. Not 3 seconds, but .3 seconds. They miscommunicated or didn’t communicate at all on defense, and gave up a basket on an inbounds play. What a frustration for their coach, having to try to teach NBA players how to close out a game.
    It’s a big deal in sports, learning how to win. Sounds so basic, but so essential. The SF Giants know how to get it done in the playoffs. They know how to close things out for the ultimate victory. Never the best team on paper, but in the real 3-D world, they know how to get it done, from Sabean on down to the last guy on the bench.

25. snarkk said, on November 13, 2014 at 10:04 pm

For the helluvit — career earnings for Aubrey Huff: $57.825 million

26. zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Baggarly picked Kershaw 4th for MVP. Sounds like Baggarly has philosophical issues with pitchers winning the MVP award. It’s not a big deal to me if a pitcher wins the MVP, only because it rarely happens. If it happened a lot, I’d have an issue with it. It hadn’t happened in the NL in 46 years.

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2014 at 10:43 pm

To me the Cy Young is the MVP award. Most Valuable Pitcher.
      The MVP is for the position players. That’s my view of it. Position players can only win the MVP. They can’t win the Cy Young, too. So, it shouldn’t work in reverse for pitchers…

• zumiee said, on November 13, 2014 at 11:23 pm

You and Tommy Lasorda agree on something. 🙂
        From a couple of days ago, Lasorda: “I don’t think pitchers should win MVP. They should win the Cy Young, but not the MVP because he only goes out there every 4-5 games.”

• blade3colorado said, on November 14, 2014 at 4:33 am

Agree. Kershaw or any pitcher winning the MVP award diminishes it IMO.