Dumb Off Season Deals

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 19, 2014

Serious question: Assuming they had the option, would any of you guys have wanted the Giants to give Johnny Stanton 325 million over 13 years? This just makes no sense to me. Why pay a player you don’t have to really pay for 2 more years all that dough? Wouldn’t it make more sense to sign, you know, good players to put around him? Even if the Marlins did it just to sell their new cable deal to their fans, are the fans really that brain dead that they’d rush to sign up now just because Stanton became a 325 millionaire?

And Billy Beane: good luck with Billy Butler. For a guy who supposedly cares a lot about his players getting on base, here are BB’s last 3 years of OPS: .882/.787/.702. I’m no math wiz but that be trending downward.

And some people thought it was a folksy throwback story when it came out that Butler went to a KC rib joint and powered down a plate of ribs with all the fixin’s just prior to Game 7 vs the Giants. I thought it was stupid. If that’s how this dude gets ready for the biggest game of his life….um. You can have him.

Pretty happy with where the Giants are so far this off season.

1. willedav said, on November 19, 2014 at 8:37 am

Butler signing is odd, given all the other options A’s already have there plus all their Cs–all of whom can hit but are D liabilities. $10 mil per 3 yrs seems steep for a one dimensional RH.

Caught some of Woodson with Killion last night, going on and on about off field locker room drama and reporting. ZZZZ, stuff only a reporter would care about. With a Seattle L Niners are right back in it, and one of teams ahead them AZ-SEA will lose this weekend. I don’t care what kind of personality Harbs has, only how his team does. They’ve been as close as you can get without winning a big one last 2 years. That’s maddening (esp play calling), but still dang good.

As I told seahawks fans at our company mgt meeting, how long you been in the league? You finally got 1 SB, that’s fantastic. Now STFU.

Speaking of which, buddy of mine is life long Redskins fan who will be there with wife, a Niners fan, Sunday. Skins are really screwed at QB, have multiple O line injuries, and generally don’t play much D. The part of the season he enjoys most—july and august.

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2014 at 9:10 am

today when he met with the media, according to Cam Inman, Bobby Griffin answered almost every question with: “I’m just focused on San Francisco.” That dude still doesn’t get it. You want to be a leader and get paid like one? Then lead. And part of that is talking to the media, especially when they’re asking you questions about dumbass comments that YOU made.

2. willedav said, on November 19, 2014 at 8:41 am

Wonder who is first guy to stick Bum’s card in Butler’s locker.
    That was a classic, frozen at plate with bat on his shoulder by the breaking ball for called strike 3.

3. Bozo said, on November 19, 2014 at 9:16 am

“Pretty happy with where the Giants are so far this off season.” – Me too, they are still the Champs. Although, I guess they still have about four GM positions they need to fill.

“The part of the season he enjoys most—july and august.” willie, I’ll be using that on a couple of Skin fans here. Thanks man.

4. Flavor said, on November 19, 2014 at 9:18 am

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 9m9 minutes ago
    Former Royals 1B/DH Billy Butler will be first free agent Billy Beane has signed to deal that was 3+ years and had avg annual value of $10M

5. zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 9:27 am

The Stanton deal is crazy, unless they add some more pieces to help him. One of the MLB Network pundits suggests they go after Hanley R., a kind of “going back home” yada yada type of thing. Hanley seems like a good fit for the Mariners, too. And it leaves a hole in the Dodgers line-up that they don’t have an immediate answer for.

6. zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 9:34 am

One of the MLB Network pundits suggests that the Dodgers package their number one prospect, infielder Cory Seager, with a pitcher or two, and try to go after the Reds’ Cueto. That would be an interesting upgrade for the Dodgers. A Kershaw, Greinke, Cueto, Ryu first 4 in the rotation would be something.
    The Dodgers have spent a bunch of money filling their front office with new people, and the baseball world is curious what player personnel moves the Dodgers might make. The new group hasn’t done anything interesting yet, but of course, the hot stove season has only just started.

• stickman said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:30 am

Dude! Don’t put ideas in their heads. That 4/5ths of a Rotation would be scary.

7. zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 9:37 am

But not that a Kershaw, Greinke, Cueto, Ryu ‘first 4’ guarantees anything. A few years ago the Phillies had their “awesome 4” and it totally fizzled. Before that season the Phillies 4 were giving joint press conferences like they were the Beatles. LQTM.

• DJLoo said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:58 am

“Mound Rushmore” was the idiotic name they were using for it…

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 19, 2014 at 9:45 am

Loria is a monumental scumbag but after fleecing MLB, Montreal then Miami I guess he’s one hell of a salesman and he got his hooks into Stanton. If I was Stanton I wouldn’t trust a damn thing the guy says about anything let alone rebuilding the team but I can’t blame him for signing the deal. I guess there is an opt out after 6 years or something so maybe he moves on then.

That said, I think I’m in the minority but I like the yard in Miami.

9. salty said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:03 am

Feeling a bit smug reading about the hot stove musings, teams scrambling for the missing piece or pieces, desperately trying to build a champion. No such deperation when you’ve won 3 in 5. Sweet.

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:05 am

🙂 🙂 🙂

10. Macdog said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:33 am

Great Moments in Dodgers History: On this day in 1993, the Dodgers traded Pedro Martinez to the Montreal Expos for Delino DeShields.

11. FanSince59 said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:28 am

Dennis O’Donnell of KPIX just reported, “Sandoval was in Boston yesterday where I am told there is a 90 percent chance that he will sign with the Red Sox. The other 10 percent goes to the Toronto Blue Jays.”…if this in fact is true, I wonder what Sabean knows about Sandoval that we don’t, that would in fact allow him to walk!…

12. pawliekokonuts said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:30 am

I see Ray Sadecki died; Giants got him in the deal that traded Orlando Cepeda to Cards. 32-39. 3.52.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

Well, if Panda is really gone I am sad but will invoke the Magnus thoroughbed perspective. Players come and go. Let’s find a Joe Panik for 3B.

14. salty said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

So SF wasn’t his first choice and all that blather about remaining a Giant was just posturing? I guess he felt disrespected with that 3/40 after all.

• salty said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:49 am

Of course, all this could be more agent posturing to force Giants to go 6yrs.

15. Chipower9 said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:37 am

I think the Stanton signing is ludicrous. And the thing is, has the team had him face live pitching recently? If you recall, the dude took a ball to the face. That has been the end to many a career. Anyway, no way in hell I throw that kind of money at one player, unless I have another 325 mil to put towards the accompanying pieces for the team. And we all know that throwing boadloads of money at your team doesn’t guarnatee jack shit (bums are the latest testiment to that).

Flav – I just saw the piece on Pablo and him “almost guaranteed” to not return. Hey, whatever. I was in the camp that wanted him back (5/90 or or 5/100), but if they go six or seven years…see ya.

And I stand by my comment from a while back (where I basically guaranteed Pablo would be back). If he walks, I buy the first round at the next Flapalooza.

• snarkk said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Whoa, now I’m leaning more towards not caring much if Panda walks….
      😉

• eddacker said, on November 20, 2014 at 7:32 am

WOW! The _next_ Flapalooza. How cool is that?
        Nice to see you guys are still friends (and I mean all y’ll) cause just thinking about next season and a Flapalooza while carrying the full-on basking swagger of seasons past sounds like one hella git t’gether.

16. Irish Kevin said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:53 am

What I want to know about the article is where this reporter heard 7 year contract. Every other article talks about the 6 year deal Pablo wanted but this guy calls out a 7 year?? hmmm…I question his sources. Rumors and lies and deceit. oh my.

17. Flavor said, on November 19, 2014 at 12:27 pm

BigItaly ‏@BigItaly42 1m1 minute ago
    Couldn’t agree more RT @DFS_Almanac: I’d sooner sign Stanton to a 30 yr contract before I consider signing the Panda for 6 yrs/20 mil per.

18. Chipower9 said, on November 19, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I have heard some spin the Panda banter about him wanting to up the ante (over the 5/90 deal Pence got) because of his contributions in the post-season.

Well, on the post-season combined, Pablo was better in BA, OBP and OPS, but NOT significantly. Certainly IMO not enough to warrant two more years and a couple mil per year.

My cap would be 5/100.

And yes Salt…I agree…what was all that blather about Pablo wanting to be a Giant/retire a Giant. Just blowing smoke up our ass?

I am disenfranchised with the whole thing based on the latest and say “don’t let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.”

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 12:43 pm

If the Giants don’t end up winning the Panda sweepstakes, it probably came down to the Giants’ brass just not having their hearts really into making a longterm deal with him. And it’s probably worry about his weight, and what happens with that as he ages. The AL, obviously, always has the DH option available.
      Maybe the Giants make a run at Headley.

19. zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Headley’s last two seasons don’t thrill, though.
    .250, 13, 50
    .243, 13, 49
    Maybe he was ‘roidin’ it up earlier in his career.
    Maybe he becomes one of those hungry-for-a-ring additions that have worked so well for the Giants in the last several years.

20. Irish Kevin said, on November 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm

This is on twitter

Henry Schulman‏@hankschulman·30 mins30 minutes ago
    As the Panda turns: I’m told Sandoval’s peeps NEVER asked #sfgiants for seven years and club still heavily engaged. #sfgiants.

• Irish Kevin said, on November 19, 2014 at 12:58 pm

This just goes to show how much BS flys around the internet!! Wake me when some team has a wet signature.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on November 19, 2014 at 12:58 pm

If Pablo is really gone, I am already weary of the whole subject. Next.

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 1:05 pm

In a sense, though, all other Giants news is on hold until the Panda situation gets decided, because Sabean has declared it so. He told Vogie, Morse, and the others to wait until Operation Panda is resolved.

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 19, 2014 at 1:01 pm

If Lester accepts the Red Sox offer and Sandoval also signs on I suspect we’ll see Peavy return to SF. Who will fill in at 3B? No idea.

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Hanley Ramirez! (kidding)

23. pawliekokonuts said, on November 19, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Hunter Strickland just tweeted asking the world about registered chocolate labs he wants. Fill in the blank with your own Homeric punchline.

• Alleykat said, on November 19, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Yeah well chocolate lab retrievers are great hunting dogs( used to own one) though I’m sure Hunter’s gonna train his to fetch his HR balls out of McCovey Cove for his personal collection..

24. Macdog said, on November 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Who needs Pablo? The Red Sox have claimed Juan Francisco off waivers from the Blue Jays.

25. Alleykat said, on November 19, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Dennis O’Connell really?
    That’s laughable, considering he once told his co-achor some gal last name Nortenga something are ever on air that the weight you put on being pregnant looks good on you.
    The thing is she wasn’t pregnant.
    So this clown has no credibility..

26. Flavor said, on November 19, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I still don’t see anyone discussing the pairing of a Red Sox Panda offer with a David Ortiz nambie pambie melt down. Big Papi is second to no one (in his own mind). He’s been complaining about not getting paid for the last few years. I can’t imagine he’s going to be cool with them throwing 100+ mil at Panda (even though I know he’s down with Sandoval).

27. zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Yeah, I’m sorta endlessly fascinated by the bad contracts the Dodgers are stuck with, and this one’s kinda funny. 5 years/25 million, until the year 2018, for this guy:
    “Erisbel Arruebarrena: Arguably the front runner for in-house shortstop option to start opening day….he cannot hit. Arruebarrena has one of the slowest bats I’ve looked at in this organization, and he doesn’t do himself any favors swinging for power as often as he does. Arruebarrena made a number of flashy plays during his call-up, but it remains to be seen just how valuable he’ll be defensively. The answer will have to be Gold Glove worthy to justify playing him, because he will not hit consistently over his career. Erisbel might have to make his living caddying for the hulking Seager at short, hoping for one positive BABIP year to give him a .270 average to entice the next team into giving him an extended chance.”

28. paulinasia said, on November 19, 2014 at 5:53 pm

While I’ve wanted Pablo to re-sign all along, I too, along with others here, am getting tired of the topic. I don’t mean talking about it here on the Flap, just overall. Sign with someone already and be done with it. (And then we’ll be talking about THAT.) If he does go elsewhere, I’m guessing he was just interested in a change of scenery. San Fran championships? Been there, done that. I can understand wanting a change of scenery. If, however, he somehow feels *unappreciated* in SF (as his agent(s) seem to be implying, from the weight stuff or whatever), fuck him. He will never have it as good as these past 7 years at China Basin. Peavy gettin’ all yearnin’ for the Cubs before he takes the mound in game 6… Pablo feeling unappreciated… Off you go, guys. Still hoping Pablo signs, though. The team wouldn’t be the same without him.

29. gianthead said, on November 19, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I still get the feeling that after they offered Lester something in the $110-$120 million, that they offered something like 5 years and $90 to Panda. Maybe they put a qualified 6th year option to the deal. We will see. If it is $90 mill, I think he stays…then we all will be bitching by the middle of next year about how awful of a contract that was:)

30. James said, on November 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I’ll admit I’d be intrigued to see Hanley at 3rd for SF. After all, if they can miraculously win without Pagan, surely they can rehabilitate the HanRam. I’m ready to trade in my Panda Hat for some badass Goggles!

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Today, I actually pondered the ‘HanRam as a Giant’ concept for a moment, and I just couldn’t find a way to accept it. It was too gross to contemplate for very long. To think too long about it would have been to risk projectile vomiting.

• James said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:51 pm

But wouldn’t you enjoy him hitting those bombs off of Romo after the latter defects?

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Good point. 🙂
        Ah, but seriously, you do make me think of the idea of HanRam hitting balls into those leftfield bleachers in a way we haven’t seen since Kent. That could grow on me.
        But just the thought of him wearing his Giants jersey with the top buttons unbuttoned gets my gag reflex going….

• James said, on November 19, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Attitude at the hot corner like we haven’t seen since Chris Brown.

• gianthead said, on November 20, 2014 at 6:18 am

Sorry James…F HanRam. Plus he will want as much if not more than what Panda gets

31. Nipper said, on November 19, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.

32. zumiee said, on November 19, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Nice little article about Carbonell. Intriguing player.

33. DJLoo said, on November 20, 2014 at 4:44 am

I was pushing for Hanley big time in the pre- Crawford days. I’d still take him.

• gianthead said, on November 20, 2014 at 6:18 am

Clubhouse Cancer

• DJLoo said, on November 20, 2014 at 7:19 am

That’s what they said about Pagan, too. Sometimes the right city, the right clubhouse, and the right manager can turn that around…

34. willedav said, on November 20, 2014 at 7:29 am

Hanley could be clubhouse ebola, but he can still hit.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 20, 2014 at 7:57 am

… and Huddy so wanted Uggla in the clubhouse…how’d that work? Weren’t there rumbles about Peavy in Boston? I loved him in our clubhouse. So, ya never know. Although word is that Sandoval keeps everybody loose (so did Juan Uribe, they say).