Having The Right Blood

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 28, 2014

Watching the Niners go so willingly into the bent-over position vs the Seahawks last night, I noticed three similarities between the two San Francisco franchises with the main difference being the outcome. Over the last 3 seasons the Niners went to the NFC championship twice and the Super Bowl once. They lost all three. The Giants, well, we know what they did with their three chances.

And as a Niner fan, with 5 SB’s already in the bank, I can tell you that I absolutely took those 3 recent playoff appearances for granted. After each excruciating loss (and each one was brutal) I just told myself “No big deal, we’ll just get it done next time.”

But watching the 49ers descend into chaos I now realize I should have been more bummed about those 3 losses. There are no guarantees for your sports teams.

I talked to a Royals fan at dinner last night–a legit Royals fan who lives there and grew up rooting for the Royals. He’s older now, probably in his 70’s. He was like most of the Royals fans we saw on tv during the post season. Polite, gracious, happy to be there. He was unyieldingly positive (surprise) about the prospects of the Royals going forward.

With the 49ers falling apart on a tv in the background of the conversation and this Royals fan telling me how stoked he is about his team next year, I quietly thanked (again) the baseball gods for what they gifted us over the last 3 in Five.

In the Giants Dugout store the other day, I predictably found nothing to fit my 6 foot 6 frame. There were tons of shirts with different mantras scrawled across the front. One of them said simply: “Champion Blood”. Even if it fit, wearing a shirt like that isn’t really how I roll. But it told an accurate tale. And after last night, impossibly, I’ve found an even greater appreciation for what the Giants have accomplished. I think I might go back and buy the shirt, have it framed and put it up in my office. No two words set next to each other describe our team better.

1. sportdude said, on November 28, 2014 at 7:26 am

Talking with a fellow SF Giants and Niner fan last night. Looking back..2010. How did that team win. Posey the only still in the game a year or two later. 2014 only one starter who pitched at all well.
    Niners had a window and it’s closed. Kapernick has regressed to where he isn’t an NFL quality QB. Painful to watch him lock on the one receiver he is going to throw to. Every time. A big Bummer. Season prety much over with 4 weeks left.

2. Flavor said, on November 28, 2014 at 7:37 am

in my opinion, a great article on what’s really wrong with the Niners:

3. unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:30 am

Haven’t read the article, but at this point I think it’s about 70-30 scheme-Kappy. This passing offense is rootied in the 1970s. Roman does not take advantage of mismatches, and does not exploit weaknesses.

Seattle has one of the best defenses out there, but we sure play it wrong. Deep fades over and over aren’t going to work. Neither are 5 yard passes. VD had disappeared. Crabs is losing interest, and Boldin was just doubled out of the game. RomN can’t adjust his game plan on the fly to save his life.

That being said, Kappy had one of the worst days of his career. The pass to Lloyd was terrible as Sherman simply watched Kappy the. Whole way and didn’t play Lloyd at all.

4. unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:34 am

Just read the article. Yup.

I said it last night. A fade to the fullback?!? There’s creativity and then there’s lunacy. That play had zero chance of working, but Kappy HAS to read out of that throw.

5. unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:43 am

After the Super Bowl I thought the window was still wide open for this team. after last year, it was shutting. Now it’s closed. I think there’s about a 3% chance Harbaugh sticks around.

Whether he was the agent of his own demise will be debated, but he’s out after this season.

6. DJLoo said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:54 am

Want Alex back? I’m real happy with him.
    Sunday night in KC vs. Denver is huge.

7. unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:54 am

Alex would be doing no better here.

• DJLoo said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:03 am

Sunday’s game is probably more on the D if KC is gonna win it.
      A couple of my more knowledgeable football fan friends seem to think Alex is solid but not championship caliber.

8. zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:57 am

In addition to all this about Kap and the schemes, where’s the in-game coaching? While the Niner D was on the field, the camera kept showing Kap on the sideline, just blankly staring at the field. A lot of QBs would be flipping through photos of the plays that just happened, looking at defensive alignments. At one point, after the Seahawks had to settle for a fieldgoal, when Wilson came off the field, the camera showed Wilson go right to Coach Goofball, and he and the coach debriefed about what just happened. Coach Goofball was doing some coaching. Maybe the camera missed that all game, but I never saw that kind of moment between Kap and Harbaugh, or any other coach, during the game.

• Flavor said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:59 am

I’m also not too happy about the dumb curly Q he’s got squiggled into his hair

• zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:06 am

I’ve been a Kap guy, but last night was such a stark comparison between him and Wilson. Kap was the media darling the last couple of seasons, and maybe it distracted him; Wilson’s just this quiet humble guy who keeps getting better. They have a better QB than we do, and it’s the big difference between the two teams.

• unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:10 am

Carroll coaches his QB according to his skill set. Harbaugh has been slowly weaning Kappy away from what has made him successful.

Do you hear anyone in Seattle cry to make Wilson a pocket passer? No.

9. zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:59 am

Regarding Champion Blood, I harken back to what one of the Giants said at the end of this season: “The Giants bring in people who have winning in their DNA.”
    The Niners have some of those kind of guys, but just not enough.

10. unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:02 am

I think the team is keenly aware that their head coach has both feet out the door. Half the offense is in a state of permanent disinterest. Kappy is often looking at shit on the sidelines, but the coaching staff doesn’t adjust. Wwhat struck me is the fact they kept running fades and it never worked. The outs to Sherman’s side they threw 3 times and 2 were picked and the other one should have been. Why run plays that have been proven not to work? Over and over all game? They refuse to throw over the middle. VD is invisible. No screens. The drag routes Seattle used for many big plays were covered by Seattle when we tried them because we didn’t have a guy dragging in the flat.

• DJLoo said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:04 am

Law of averages?

11. zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:10 am

It’s always amazing to me when an NFL team gets held to such a low score, like 3 points. The rules keep changing to make it harder for the defense, and a team still gets held to 3 points. You could probably just throw a 50 yard bomb on every single play, and you might get a couple of pass interference calls that would allow you to score more than 3 points.

12. willedav said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:12 am

I’ve always wondered why not more use of running backs on short wheel routes etc., always a staple of Walsh led offenses.
    Meanwhile, down a couple scores, comes Gore up the middle yet again.

SF seems like classic case of coach trying to fit the players into the system instead of the opposite.
    In the famous words of Rocket J Squirrel, “But that trick never works.”

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:43 am

I don’t really follow football but have watched the 49ers a bit this season. The offense under Harbaugh is boring, stale and somewhat painful to watch. For how poor he plays, Kaepernick sure seems to get a lot of leash with the fans.

14. gianthead said, on November 28, 2014 at 10:04 am

I am done with this 49er team…ode to Bill Walsh. See ya Harbaugh in your Michigan Blue…

15. Hargesheimer said, on November 28, 2014 at 10:08 am

When does Sabes announce Melky’s re-signing?

• DJLoo said, on November 28, 2014 at 10:30 am

I’m all in on Melky…

• Hargesheimer said, on November 28, 2014 at 11:48 am

Melk brings a lot to the clubhouse, but will he share it with the others who really need it?

• snarkk said, on November 28, 2014 at 10:34 am

I guess as soon as Buster gives his OK…

16. snarkk said, on November 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Picking nits, I suppose, but I’m not real sure about that “Championship Blood” stuff. Sounds good for marketing T-shirts. But players come and go, only the coaches stayed the same over the 5 seasons. (Were Huff and Cody Ross to Perez this year really “Championship Blood?”). IMO, for players, what they’ve had over the 5 seasons consistently is a historically dominant (2010) to very good pitching staff. The 18-inning classic in DC being the best example of that this post-season, IMO. Without Bum dominating otherwise this past playoff season, the squad would have needed a few transfusions to keep in that playoff mix. So, I’d expect Sabes to spend Pablo’s dough largely on some arms – that calculus seems to be working for him…

17. snarkk said, on November 28, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I don’t understand some fans including Nelson Cruz as a possibility for LF for the Giants, but not Melky. Cruz is 34, power bat, not much of a defender. He’s got as much ‘roid baggage as Melky, who is 30 and a better all around player than Cruz. So, SF should welcome Cruz, but not Melky because Cruz ‘roided up while wearing another uni? As far as I’m concerned, any vet MLB player without a positive test in his past could still be a past or current PEDs user, coming from or going to the Giants. That’s just the way things are these days. I’d rather take a 30-year old past PEDs user over a 34-year old one (assuming we can believe any player’s stated age these days…)

• Flavor said, on November 28, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Come on, Melky left SF in shame. The players all hate him. The front office wouldn’t take another chance on a guy who’s already burned them with a steroid ban. And Melky has absolutely zero ties to this area.
      In a million years, it would never, ever happen…..

18. snarkk said, on November 28, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Cubs reportedly have offered Lester 6 yrs at $135M.
    The dude is 31 heading into Spring Training 2015, with 1596 MLB innings and 482 IPs in the minors
    Sorry, I’m not going to try to top that on a guy with 2100 innings on his arm, even with Sabes’ wallet…

19. salty said, on November 28, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Lester comes to SF to make Cubs sweeten the deal.

20. salty said, on November 28, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Maybe Lester is holding out until they agree to sign Jake.

21. Flavor said, on November 28, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Bruce Jenkins ‏@Bruce_Jenkins1 7m7 minutes ago
    No direct accusations here, but we’ll say it again, words to the wise: America’s most dangerous drink is Scotch & Twitter.

22. zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Last weekend, the MLB Network re-ran the Giants 2012 championship film; I hadn’t seen it in a couple of years, so I DVRed it, and then watched it this morning. Lots and lots of awesome moments, of course, and great memories, but I’ll mention one moment in the film in particular. It was right before Scutaro’s World Series-winning hit in Game 4, and Buck said “Scutaro is hitting .731 with runners in scoring position during the playoffs this year.” I did kind of a cartoon character double-take, like “what did he just say?? Did I hear that right??” I hit ‘rewind’ and watched again as Buck said .731 with RISP during these playoffs. Wow! I remember Scutaro being great, but that’s off-the-charts great. And, of course, that RISP batting average only went up after his single to drive in Theriot.
    Yeah, the Giants didn’t get all that much from him after that, for the $18 million dollar contract; but as we all know, that $18 million is just a nice thank-you for 2012.

23. zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I’ve started reading Bill Madden’s book “1954,” and am liking it a lot.
    And am reminded in the book that the so-called 86-year Red Sox “curse” was largely self-inflicted, as they were the last team to add black players, and had first chance at Willie Mays but wouldn’t sign him because of the color of his skin. Red Sox fans can only wonder what a team that had an outfield with Willie Mays and Ted Williams in it could have accomplished.

• willedav said, on November 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Yeah, liked that one, ending being the best part.
      And sure we all know who won the WS, but what I really mean is at the very end of the book Madden gets into more of what I thought he was going to talk about in detail.

24. gianthead said, on November 28, 2014 at 6:20 pm

The baseball reason Melky does not make sense but Nelson Cruz does is that they are not the same type of player. Melky is not a right-handed classic slugger and that is what would be a big addition to our lineup. Hands down Cruz makes sense to pursue, Melky and his specific Giants baggage make little sense…

• Flavor said, on November 28, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Cruz has never played in the NL and that is a factor. And even though he’s not a LH hitter, power hitting guys from the AL don’t go to NL pitcher parks especially AT&T. Ever. Plus there will be tons of competition for him (Sabes don’t play that game) and the AL team will outbid any NL team because they can use him as a DH later in his career.
      He won’t sign with an NL team and the Giants would be the last NL team to sign him if one ever did.

• DJLoo said, on November 28, 2014 at 6:40 pm

So where where does this leave us? Santana and what else?
        I’m thinking Melky will be super-motivated to make amends – and I’m pretty sure they gave him a WS ring.

• James said, on November 28, 2014 at 6:53 pm

The Flap does manage to talk itself out of just about every possible trade or signing. . . . the ragging on Justin Upton the other day has been my favorite crazy negation thus far.

• Flavor said, on November 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Marty Lurie has world series rings….
        Come on, you guys can’t be serious about Melky Bailout? Can you?

• Hargesheimer said, on November 28, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Nelson Cruz makes Morse look like a 10-time Gold Glover.

25. Macdog said, on November 28, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Looks like the A’s have traded Josh Donaldson to the Jays for Brett Lawrie and a couple prospects.

• Alleykat said, on November 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Yeah Macdog,Billy Beane starts his “Black Friday” clearance moves early..

26. paulinasia said, on November 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Yeah, James, I noticed that about the Flap, the to and fro discussions that end up cancelling most scenarios… πŸ™‚ I actually thought Justin Upton (NOT BJ Upton) was an interesting possibility. That said, absolutely NO on Melky… man, I’ll be shocked if management brings that circus back to town (I called Melky a clown when they got him before the 2012 season; he’s even more of one now). As for Cruz, I don’t know enough about him. Is he the guy Wilson struck out to end the 2010 Series? He doesn’t sound like what the team needs.

• paulinasia said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Sorry, no offense, Bozo… πŸ™‚

• zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Cruz is also the guy that botched a deep fly ball in Game 6 of the 2011 World Series in a critical moment late in the game; a game that the Rangers were within one out of winning the World Series a couple of times. He’s about equal to Morse on range in the outfield.

The problem with Justin Upton is that he has a year left on his contract, and would have to be traded for to be obtained. What’s worth giving up for a year of Upton? That becomes the question. Well, let’s hear it then, James. πŸ™‚ What’s worth trading for a year of Upton? If the Braves asked for Susac and/or Okert to be included, I don’t like it. Any other minor leaguers they ask for, I say go for the trade.

27. zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I think the Giants are too PR-conscious to go for Melky. They wouldn’t want ‘Melky’s return’ to become the off-season media story, after they’ve just won another World Series.
    It’s almost amazing how little of Melky was in that 2012 championship film. They made a brief mention of him winning the All-Star game MVP and that was it.
    I don’t think it would be as big a deal with the players now. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. The Giants have won 2 more championships since Melky was sent away. It wouldn’t surprise me if Buster’s reaction now is: ‘who cares?, whatever. We’ve got 3 in 5. We’re playing with house money now for the next 10 years or so, anyway.’

28. zumiee said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I finally got around to using a Barnes and Noble gift card I got for my birthday, and got John Feinstein’s book about life in baseball’s minor leagues, “Where Nobody Knows Your Name,” and “Triple Crowned,” a nice summary of the Giants’ 2014 season, and Michael Chabon’s novel “Telegraph Avenue.”
    You just can’t have too many books. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• willedav said, on November 29, 2014 at 7:20 am

Wow, enjoy Zum. Chabon is funny if a little complicated, and the first one from Feinstein I really enjoyed; you’ll recognize a lot of players etc. from that one including some successful reclamation projects still going.

Haven’t seen Triple Crowned. I like Feinstein when he isn’t part of the story himself, and he’s done all kinds of sports books from golf to college football/basketball.

29. James said, on November 28, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Not a Melky advocate, it was more a general observation. Zumie, the Upton tear down included not only hesitation about which players to trade for him, but flat out rejections. I like Susac, but I’ll note that he’ll be 25 next March and he has all of 95 PAs.

30. unca_chuck said, on November 28, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Melky make amends, DJ? yer usually spot-on but that’s just miles away from ever happening, Melky’s super-motivated to make money for Melky. He pissed off the entire organization by running away.

• DJLoo said, on November 29, 2014 at 10:06 am

I have a very forgiving nature, Chuck…

31. willedav said, on November 29, 2014 at 7:31 am

Up to me I’d leave LF alone (hang onto Perez Blanco Morse) and spend the $$$ to go after an SP like Liriano. I bet Rags could get him to be more consistently effective.
    Talk to the Reds too about one of theirs (and not Jay bruce). That team is gonna suck in a tough division and will have to dump off an SP or 2 as they all hit FA after 2015. With what they have to pay Phillips and Votto there’s no way they can afford Leake Latos and Cueto.

Can’t believe Beane dumped Donaldson, last guy I thought he’d get rid of. This guy was rated all season long as among top WAR in all of AL by B-R. Gets on base has pop fields position well and played through injuries.
    A’s won 90 games with a crummy middle IF last year; I can see going after a SS but dang.

32. willedav said, on November 29, 2014 at 8:57 am

In the mlbtr column on A’s it mentioned they might be dealing off OFs.
    J Reddick had a down year at the plate last year but is only 27 and a fine OF. LH who hit for .850 OPS vs. RHP.

Brandon Moss coming off surgery for his hip that affected him last year is a fine LH with pop though a liability defensively. In 3 yrs for Oaktown he’s put up .844 OPS and hit 76 HRs. Previous 2 yrs there OPS numbers were .954 and .859. Signing Butler at $10 mil for 3 yrs and Davis as DH/1b platoons might have made him expendable.

• Nipper said, on November 29, 2014 at 11:20 am

To Beane all players are temps. That’s reality.

33. Hargesheimer said, on November 29, 2014 at 9:16 am

Melky gets no love for being the fall guy who let the rest of the team advance in 2012?

34. snarkk said, on November 29, 2014 at 10:47 am

So, a few years back if Melky in the locker room went full on “I’m sorry, dudes, I was just tryin’ to buy gramma a house”, then left the building, he’d be good to go in coming back? I’m sorry, after years of Barry fouling the clubhouse with Balco and he ruled the roost without even knowing the word apology, I don’t see the all of a sudden holier than thou deal with Melky. Mota was one of the few guys ever to have a 100 game suspension, yet he was golden when he came back. What, he was golden because he said he drank his daughter’s cough syrup? So, if Melky can help at the right price, or any other former PEDster, he’s in LF for me. Maybe he’ll be smarter about testing. Every PEDster denies doing it, until he stops denying it. So, no apology to the clubhouse is IMO a joke reason for not bringing a guy back that until then, was cool with everybody. I’m done frettin’ about ‘roiders and PEDsters in MLB, cuz these days, until these rules get real serious (like lifetime suspensions)– since MLB GMs and the MLBPA obviously don’t fret much about ’em — neither will I…

• Nipper said, on November 29, 2014 at 11:22 am

I don’t give a damn about drugs. All you can do is test for its use.

• DJLoo said, on November 29, 2014 at 11:34 am

I wish I could write something like that.

• salty said, on November 29, 2014 at 4:30 pm

The point is there’s Obviously an issue there tat needs to be addressed. Whether or not Giants say hey, no hard feelings, Melky still has to want to deal with clearing the air. My bet is with other offers, he’s thinking why would I want to deal with that shit when I can go somewhere with no baggage, no one asking me wtf I did etc…new city, clean slate and a hitter’s park to boot.

35. snarkk said, on November 29, 2014 at 11:21 am

Billy Beane trading Donaldson for a bunch of guys including an 18-year old SS that is a few years away, seems weird, even for Beane. Donaldson was under control for a few more years. He’s a hitter you can build your team around. Glad I’m not an A’s fan. If you are one, you still need a program to figure out who’s playing. Talk about rooting for laundry…

• Nipper said, on November 29, 2014 at 11:23 am

He was an asset nothing more. That’s the Oakland way.

• DJLoo said, on November 29, 2014 at 11:43 am

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

• salty said, on November 29, 2014 at 3:38 pm

And he just traded the top SS prospect Addison, now talk of him trading Samarzdja. Strange methods indeed.

36. paulinasia said, on November 29, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I don’t follow the A’s, have never really liked them (white shoes, C. Finley, etc.), but the Beane era is a bit interesting. Sabean came into SF, shockingly traded Matt Wiliams for Kent, et al, and immediately transformed the franchise into a winner again. Beane *shockingly* trades a 3rd baseman who seemed like someone who would be a cornerstone for that team for a long time to come. The difference being, of course, that the G’s went from last place to first place after their trade… while the A’s were a playoff team that faltered down the stretch. I wasn’t really thinking they needed to do a whole lot this off-season, but here goes Beane, completely retooling. Snarrk is right, talk about rooting for laundry. Giants fans are rather blessed, I’d say, in comparison. We just lost our 3rd baseman from the past 7 years………….

37. unca_chuck said, on November 29, 2014 at 11:17 pm

The time has come, the song is over. Thought I’d something more to say. . . .

• DJLoo said, on November 29, 2014 at 11:59 pm

You do, Chucky, you do…

38. Macdog said, on November 30, 2014 at 8:35 am

Speaking of books, I picked up Jeremy Affeldt’s “To Stir A Movement” for $2 yesterday at a church in Carlisle, Pa. Anyone ever read this one? Zumiee?

Here’s part of the teaser on the back: “Whether helping the trafficked find freedom, the thirsty receive water, or the hungry obtain food, Jeremy Affeldt is using his voice to demolish the barriers that stand between everyday people and the injustice around them.”

Man, no wonder this guy is as cool as they come in the World Series.

39. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2014 at 11:23 am

Random Giants Fan Encounter (RGFE), edition 234a: I get the Brooklyn Pickle Special, for a friend: corned beef and pastrami, Swiss, lettuce, tomato, onions, Russian dressing, pumpernickel. The regular guy who takes the money hands me my change. I notice his Yankees hat, in a store adorned with various Brooklyn memorabilia, though not Dodgers stuff. “Wrong hat,” I tell him, pointing up at my everyday, well worn SF cap. “We’re the World Champs. wrong hat.” He laughs, genuinely and heartily, more than I might under the circumstances. I could be accused of being provocative with a smile. On the way out the door, I am told grimly by a tall-as-Magnus fellow and wife or girlfriend: “But you don’t have 26.” I shot back: “3 out of 5. Don’t live in the past.” Now I AM being obnoxious and provocative. “And it’s 27. You should know that,” I add for good measure and head out side. Within seconds, an older fellow with a puffy and kind face stops me and says, as if he is CONTINUING THE INDOOR CONVERSATION (which threw me), “I like your hat.” “Whoa, are you a Giants fan?” And he is, and i recount the exchange of words I had just exited from. He tells me he used to be able to walk to the Polo Grounds and remembers not only the 1954 Series but 1951 also. I told him to go to AT&T. I think he had been to Candlestick and said he saw the giants play in San Diego, shortly after McCovey was traded to them. Great stuff. For once, it was somebody else initiating the encounter, not just delusional, manic me. And perfect timing. I hope I see him again. Want to give him a copy of WORLD SERIOUS.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2014 at 11:26 am

p.s. I guess we will never have the luxury of forgetting how many rings we have. To be honest, I had to look it up. The franchise has 8 (the Cards, 11). But if it is ONLY a counting game, you have no heart.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2014 at 3:29 pm

great story PK

40. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2014 at 11:26 am

#basking

41. snarkk said, on November 30, 2014 at 1:19 pm

With the ATT money stream coming in so much, I can’t see the Giants ever in the foreseeable future being down in the dumps so long like they were in the ’70s and ’80s. I think even short, but really poor periods like the 2005-2008 black hole at ATT will not happen again. The occasional crap season like 2013 will happen, sure, depending on injuries and other things that go off the rails once in a while. So, with the new WC playoff system in place, the Giants should be in contention pretty much every year for a PO spot, with the odd year outlier. Maybe they can get to 2 more WS titles before 2025? Or would that be just asking for way too much good mojo?…

• James said, on November 30, 2014 at 1:32 pm

I’d be thrilled with one more between now and then, sorta the equivalent to the Steve Young SB.

• James said, on November 30, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Caveat: assuming they are perennial contenders per your scenario. 8 or so years of mediocrity would be way too steep a price to pay for another WS win after 3 in 5.

42. James said, on November 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Just to show WillieD a little support, and because LF defense has regained its unchallenged status on the Flap as something to pay attention to, when a LFer’s glove should be the absolute last worry for a GM, here are some simple stats for Blanco and Morse in 2014:

Morse 135 chances, 107 putouts 79% in 579 innings
    Blanco 96 chances, 78 put outs 81% in 361 innings

To create a larger sample, I calculated the combined put out % for Morse in 2014 and 2012, when he caught a much lower percentage of balls hit his way in left and multiplied that % by the total number of balls hit to left. I then compared it to Blanco’s combined projected percent caught for the same number of chances. The difference between the two for 900 innings played (the total number Morse played at first and LF in 2014), is about 10 more put outs for Blanco.

I then subtracted 6 doubles and 4 singles from Morse’s stats. His OPS dropped about 60 points to 750.

IMO, no LFer’s defense makes up for a 100 point differential in OPS, unless the better hitter screws up routine plays regularly. There simply aren’t enough difficult but playable chances hit to LF in any given season.

TF noted that Blanco is a more valuable player to the Giants than Morse. This is true because Blanco also plays CF and is a much faster runner. He’s also cheaper.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Sabes’ original calculus in bringing Morse in was the he would add a power bat, and after 3 ABs in a game, assuming the team were ahead late, he’d be subbed out for defense by Blanco or others with better leather. That seemed to work great for the first 2 months, then Morse and the rest of the team fell off the rails offensively. The Giants brain trust must figure now that Morse is not going to be, for a full season, the guy he was for the first two months last season — so they don’t want to repeat that scenario again with him on a 2 year or longer deal. I can get into that thinking — IF they can get a more well rounded OFer than Morse to play LF. Blanco can play second fiddle defensively again to the new LF guy, whoever he may be, just as long as Blanco isn’t the new full time guy in LF. I’m assuming they are not going to convert Blanco to a LF starter, that would be ridiculous…

• James said, on November 30, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Snarkk, the notion that Morse completely fell apart — outside of the injuries — is just not supported by the actual evidence:

He had one bad month, which isn’t unusual for even the better players. He also does not need to put up a 900 OPS for the season in order to be a plus contributor, nor does he need to hit 30 HRs. If you suspect that he’s able to deliver another year just like last season, he’d be a perfectly good option for LF. He was certainly getting around fine on those KC flamethrowers. The likeliest reason he’d be a bust is the injury history. That is not an insignificant consideration, especially if you don’t replace Sandoval with someone who can provide a mid-700s OPS.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I’m OK with Morse coming back, on another one year deal. I’d like a better all around LFer out there, but if I have to grin and bear it, Morse can play again. I’d like a little more consistent power rather than the fits and starts. Nothing wrong with the guy’s clubhouse cred and giving energy to the team. I’m just wary of injury to the guy, and we end up with Blanco starting for 3 months…

43. zumiee said, on November 30, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I know the NFL has its share of problems, but that was a darned entertaining game today between the Packers and the Patriots. Part of the entertainment was seeing actual high-quality passing offenses.
    —-
    Macdog, I haven’t read the Affeldt book yet. I meant to read it, but never got around to it.

44. zumiee said, on November 30, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Funny headline at the McCovey Chronicles, kind of like an Onion headline:
    “Giants reportedly interested in finishing second for Yoan Lopez.”
    The often-times finishing second in bidding has now become a running joke amongst some Giants fans, apparently.

45. zumiee said, on November 30, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Amongst many things learned in the “1954” book: at that time there were only four teams that held their Spring Training in Arizona, and the Giants and Indians were two of them. So when the Giants and Indians met in the World Series later that season, they had faced each other 21 (!) times in Spring Training that year.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2014 at 6:05 pm

That is an interesting tidbit. I clearly recall the Indians training in Tucson and the Giants in Phoenix (starting with my 1955 fandom). In fact, I learned how to spell “Tucson” by reading of spring training accounts as a kid in the NY Daily News. First thought it was pronounced “tuck-son.” Might have to add that to book-in-progress.

46. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Get this: I just got my mail at my official residence (despite my state of being an estranged husband, as they might say in pulp fiction, I maintain my legal residence at the house of my legal spouse). I see an envelope addressed to me from the San Francisco Giants. Official corporate logo, and all that. A note from Larry Baer, my bro? Hunter Pence acknowledging the book I sent in spring training? A reply to two WS notes to Bochy and Sabes, in 2010 and 2012? Nope. Here goes. It was dated “August, 2013.”

“Dear Mr. Kocak: Thank you for sending a copy of your book ‘World Serious: One San Francisco Giants Fan’s 2012 Pilgrimage.’

I appreciate your kind words for me, and for your loyalty to the Giants team. I hope you will continue to listen to our games.

Sincerely,

Jon Miller
    Voice of the San Francisco Giants”

THEN, handwritten, in the lower right, it said: “Sorry, I seem to have mislaid this reply — for 15 months! Best, Jon Miller”

How cool is that?

• paulinasia said, on November 30, 2014 at 5:33 pm

THAT is extremely cool, Pawlie……

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Awesome, Pawlie!

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Yeah, what a shocker. Awfully nice of Jon Miller. I sort of forgot the whole thing, that I even sent it to him or anything. And I must’ve sent it just before Flapalooza and interview with Marty Lurie. For the stark record, these initiatives did not move the sales needle, but that’s fine, I need to remind myself.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2014 at 10:41 pm

My opinion of Jon Miller, already fairly lofty, just went up, Pawlie.
        Very nice story. This basking business is just paying dividends in unpredictable ways…

• James said, on November 30, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Fantastic!

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2014 at 8:16 pm

that’s tomorrow’s thread.

47. James said, on November 30, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Speaking spring training, I will be in Tempe on a business trip from 2/22-25. The first game is Monday, 3/1.

I’ve never been to ST. I’d love advice on how to exploit this w/o spending another week in the desert. I’d probably want to fly back no later than the morning of 3/2, and would even dispense with the game on 3/1, if there’s enough going on the week end before.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2014 at 8:18 pm

talked to a buddy last night about going to ST. Never been. My mom has a big ass house in The Boulders and I’ve never been to ST or taken my friends and she invites me to do so every year.

• James said, on November 30, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I read somewhere that the practices are accessible and in some ways more interesting than the games. I’d love to extend the trip over the weekend, hit Pizzeria Bianco, drink some Manhattans, and offer my advice directly to the players and management πŸ™‚

A confession: I’ve never been on a golf course.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2014 at 10:37 pm

A Spring Training Flapalooza at BF’s Mom’s house!?
        I can read between those lines. Can we bring our clubs, too?
        Yeah, bring it on…

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2014 at 10:39 pm

James, just go up to Tilden and walk on that golf course. It’s a nice one. Then, you’ve knocked that one off the bucket list. Chi sounds like your man — with the STraining experience to give you tips on what to do, where to go. And, Ps & Cs are working out already starting about Feb 20 — before you get there…

48. DJLoo said, on November 30, 2014 at 9:09 pm

My parents went to ST many years ago. The Padre manager (a guy named Bochy) tossed them a ball.
    My mother recalls Bonds being a bit aloof.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2014 at 10:36 pm

And, he seemed to have had “a bit” of a larger cap size in the 2000-2007 time frame….