Reasons to Become a Giant? Let Me Count the Ways

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 2, 2014

I started kicking this around last night and this morning decided to list off as many reasons as I could think of for why a player would want to come to play in San Francisco. We’ve been conditioned to think that hitters are generally repelled by the idea of playing at AT&T but if after reading the list, wouldn’t pretty much ANY player want to come to SF?

1) 3 in 5. The obvious one. If you want to win, this is the place to be.

2) you get to play in maybe the best ball park in the league in front of a packed house every night.

3) no matter how bad you play the press will leave you alone.

4) team chemistry– by all accounts, it’s a fun clubhouse to be in

5) you play for the best manager in baseball. In addition, the coaches are all considered to be outstanding as well as “players coaches.”

6) San Francisco is a great city. Go back and look at Bryce Harper’s tweets after spending a few days here. If a douchbag like him can appreciate The City, anyone can.

7) no humidity and very few rain delays or rain outs

8) After winning a World Series, and you are a free agent,  Sabean will likely shower you with a more lucrative contract than anyone else. After the Panda left I now can only use the word “likely”.

9) you walk right into one of the great rivalries in sports

The Cons List?

I dunno, maybe a liberally area like this might not be your scene.

That’s all the cons I could come up with.

thoughts? What am I missing?

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 2, 2014 at 8:25 am

I saw you guys were kicking this around last night and have thought the same thing. I think the weather alone is a great reason to play in SF. Cool most of the year and then warm when it is cold in other places.

Is a FA all about winning or money? Well, they can get some of both when they come to Baghdad by the Bay. I suppose people can make the tax argument but I think that once you are making multi-millions that is less of a concern but maybe not. I mean if you can afford the Aston Martin DB9 and the Crystal at the club but not the Azimut Yacht with the heli-pad it probably messes with your head a little bit.

2. wilcojoe said, on December 2, 2014 at 8:27 am

Pretty good list.

Additional pros:
    -Only place in country where you are a short drive to both the coast, wine country, and mountains.
    – Great suburbs- Oakland Hills, Blackhawk, Marin County, South Bay, for family living
    -The weather in said suburbs
    Cons
    – some of the highest cost of living in the country
    – traffic
    – lack of quality strip clubs
    – lack of attractive women compared to most other places in the country but still far superior to the women on the east coast

• Lurker John said, on December 2, 2014 at 9:02 am

Lack of quality strip clubs, for the win.

3. gianthead said, on December 2, 2014 at 8:38 am

If you are a veteran pitcher, ATT and SF is manna from heaven. Especially if you have not won a title. I remember reading a few years ago that Ted Lilly wanted to come to the Giants badly. If you are a lefty slugger, may not be your cup of tea. I think free agents focus on odds of winning and being productive to further bulk up their wallets if they think they have another multi-year contract ahead of them.

If you are a single guy like Pence and Lincecum back in the day, what could be better than living in the City and getting an apartment in a high-rise near the stadium. I still think the City is the best place to eat in the US. Even if you have a family, these Southern boys like Bum, Cain and Posey can all find places to live near enough to the City to be happy and have the family life.

4. gianthead said, on December 2, 2014 at 8:40 am

I guess one con is if you like hot summers, then SF may not be the place to be, but not a far drive to get all the summer heat you want. I remember flying home a few years ago stepping out of SFO around 1 pm in June and a cold blast of air coming over that gap at Daly City at saying I am back home…

• Lurker John said, on December 2, 2014 at 9:09 am

Yep, I-80 east for about 45-60 minutes and you go from cool to blazing hot. lol

• zumiee said, on December 2, 2014 at 9:14 am

I can verify the blazing hot in the summer. 🙂
        But….this week we have RAIN in the Valley!!!! Actual RAIN!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

5. Lurker John said, on December 2, 2014 at 8:59 am

The only one I can think of is the pitcher’s park thing. Maybe that was the deciding factor in the Yasmany deal. He gets to play in a hitter’s paradise, but for a shit team. For a lot of these guys, I think their numbers trump anything else because it means more dough down the line.

6. zumiee said, on December 2, 2014 at 9:12 am

I think some of the younger free agents might be less thinking of the ring, as in “Hey, I’m young, there’s plenty of time to worry about getting a ring,” and then suddenly they’re Tim Hudson, and their career is winding down, and they still haven’t gotten a ring, and then that SF Giants playoff magic starts to look pretty darned good.

In addition to being ultra-pricey, Lester already has rings. Hot Stove show thinks he’s going to probably end up a Cub. The Cubs desperately want to be relevant again.

7. WilcoJoe said, on December 2, 2014 at 9:23 am

I think there may be some truth to the “liberalness” of the Bay Area causing pause for some ballplayerrs. You have to remember, so many of these guys grew up in the south. Having spent the last 15 years in Texas and having spent a great deal of the last year on business in Alabama, I can attest to that. My wife is the only “liberal” in her family, as she comes from a small town in southeast Texas. They still give me a hard time (mostly in jest) about my California upbringings. At best people in the south will say, CA is a great place to vacation, but they “sure as hell wouldn’t want to live there.” Not all of these guys are as open minded as Hunter Pence, Jake Peavy and some of the other southern boys who have called San Francisco their home.

When I was in college at UT, I spent a couple semesters working for the student newspaper and student radio station. One spring break, I was given a press pass to attend a game in Kississimme, the spring training home the Astros. My assignment was to interview UT alum Shane Reynolds. I was 20 years old at the time and nervous as hell. This was in the late 90’s, when the Astros had guys like Bagwell, Biggio, and Caminiti in the middle of their lineup. I had never been in a big league clubhouse, so this was a pretty big thrill for me. The first person I recognized was Doug Henry, who had just come over from the Giants. I introduced myself to him and told him that I was a lifelong Giants fan and thanked him for his service. He was one of the nicer guys I met that afternoon. He said he had a great time playing in SF, and was talking about how great the fans were, when BillyWagner chimed in , “fuck that. Giants fans are all a bunch of faggots. I hate that fucking city.” Now I started jotting all of this down on my notepad. Wagner then asked me if I was a “fag” and if so I better get the fuck out of their clubhouse. Craig Biggio and another player (whom I can’t recall) told Wagner to settle down and shut the fuck up. I felt like I was on the verge of being the next Woodward and Bernstein, so I tried to get Wagner to tell me more about his thoughts on my home town. At this point, Caminiti came over, wearing nothing but a towel and told me to get out of the clubhouse. He said reporters have to be out at 12:30. I looked at my watch and said, “well I have five more minutes.” Needless to say, he didnt like that answer. He got right up in my face. To this day, that was the biggest, strongest, dude I had ever met. I was in pretty good shape at the time, and of course at 20 years old, I felt invincible to anything and everything. I have to admit, at that point, my knees began to shake and I got the fuck out of there as fast as I could.

When I got back to Austin, I went to one of my journalism profs to get his opinion on whether or not I should run with my story on Wagner’s comments. My professor said the decision was mine, but if it was him, he would not go to print with the story. I took his advice and the story never saw the light of day. Just a few short months later, John Rocker (who pitched against the Astros in that spring game) would make headlines for his racist remarks about his experience on New York subways. Rocker sounded like a choir boy compared to the words that came out of Billy the Kid’s mouth that spring day.

• gianthead said, on December 2, 2014 at 9:51 am

And Caminiti was from San Jose, you would have thought he would have been a little more forgiving. What a hell of a first experience Wilco as a sports reporter…lol! But a great story nonetheless. Imagine if you actually threw down with Caminiti, that would have been a national story and you blew your chance!!

• wilcojoe said, on December 2, 2014 at 10:18 am

I chalked up his reaction to the ‘roids.

• zumiee said, on December 2, 2014 at 9:51 am

Awesome story, WJ, thanks for sharing!

I remember reading a long time ago in a punk rock magazine “Maximum Rock ‘n Roll” a columnist saying that punk rock fans shouldn’t be sports fans because a lot of those jocks were the same guys tormenting punk rock-type kids back in their school days. I see the columnist’s point, but the culture has changed in a lot of ways now. There is more elightenment going now, although sometimes slowly.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 2, 2014 at 9:54 am

Great story.

Being from CA I suppose I am biased but people with type of attitude that towards the golden state in general or specifically SF are revealing more about themselves than anything. It’s just like everywhere else. The cities are more liberal and the outlying country areas are more conservative. Whatever. I guess they just don’t like freedom. :).

• Lurker John said, on December 2, 2014 at 10:51 am

That’s an amazing story. And fuck Caminity and Wagner. What a couple of schmucks.

• Flavor said, on December 2, 2014 at 11:16 am

great story.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:12 pm

some story….wow

• Chipower9 said, on December 2, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Awesome story Wilco…I was LOL here at work (happens occasionally, and mostly after reading something here at The Flap). Thanks for the share.

8. gianthead said, on December 2, 2014 at 10:08 am

Sorry for the advertisement but a buddy from San Jo has penned his newest book and the title is right up Flav’s alley: Internet Sad Face. Supposed to be a book of humor but I have yet to read. But am downloading now…

• gianthead said, on December 2, 2014 at 10:10 am

and just $1.99 on Kindle

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Kindle Unlimited is well worth the 10 bucks a month. There are many more titles, better books, and all are free with the 10 dollar a month fee. There’s a 30 day free trial.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:06 pm

that is one perfect cover!!

9. twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2014 at 10:31 am

*The ball dudes don’t turn you on
    *Hey, Belt- where’s the endless *steak* bar ?
    *The “Gamer Babes” are “Gamer Grannies”
    *The clubhouse is a fucking Zoo- a shark,a giraffe, a loco horse, a big beast, a crawdad, 12,000 Panda hats..
    *Dungeness Crab is messy to eat
    *Willie Mays is a grumpy old fart
    *No wings and brewskis in the clubhouse

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 2, 2014 at 10:51 am

I haven’t been on board with the idea of tearing up Bumgarner’s contract but if the Giants sign Lester for $135M+ I hope they have something better than a men’s underwear line in the works for him.

11. Irish Kevin said, on December 2, 2014 at 11:11 am

Lack of quality Strip clubs??? not in the 60’s and 70’s. Broadway was one right afte the other. and you could always find a topless woman in the Haight/Ashbury district during that time period. Damn Hippies

12. pawliekokonuts said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Some great stuff here, I mean great. And what collective genius here to have such a good read when there is no real baseball news!

adds:

PRO: City Lights Books
    CON: too much artisanal, organic, “cool” laidbackness for East Coasters, dude!
    p.s. Phuckoff!

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:05 pm

and surely y’all walk too slow for New Yawkers

13. willedav said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Well. real baseball news would be today is deadline for non-tender deals. Giants list would be Belt Crawford Petit Blanco Ishi and Hector Sanchez.
    All of above aren’t making much, and I can see everyone except Hector getting reasonable offer, as Giants do don’t arb. Ishi has value as LH PH and plays good D at 1b. Don’t see him as serious OF candidate despite playoffs but great feel good story/a guy Giants reward..

Hector I don’t see having any room. Susac needs to play some and C the pitching staff. As James pointed out he’s not a kid anymore and despite nice season last year, only had 100 ABs. Whether he can really hit or if league just hasn’t seen him enough yet to figure him out is still very open to question.

But Hector is not very good defensively and a liability at the plate. At his size I don’t see him remotely as possibility for 3b. Even at minor league deal, he would be holding another guy back.
    I feel for the guy for the sacrifices he has made, but time to move on for both sides.

• twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I’m not sure that the math would work out for Ishi unless he was kept as the 5th outfielder in addition to his other duties, Otherwise they’d have to go with either just 4 outfielders or just one utility infielder.

• Chipower9 said, on December 2, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I agree, Michael.

14. Alleykat said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Get Lester to compliment Bum and balance out the starting rotation, add Markasis for LF and trade for Freese to play 3rd and our Christmas list is complete.

• zumiee said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm

On the Hot Stove show they raised the issue of how much the Giants could be considering pitching match-ups vs. the Dodgers. Fortunately for the Giants it didn’t happen in the playoffs this season. The Cards took care of the Dodgers, and then the Giants took care of the Cards. But, at some point, the Giants may need a better match-up vs. Kershaw and Greinke in ’15, and Lester and Bum would be that solid match-up, if the Giants signed Lester.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I was just thinking the same, willedav. All but Ishikawa and Sanchez are pretty much no-brainers but I could see all of them getting tendered. I’d like to see Ishikawa back as he seems to have bought into the bench role and like you said he can play LF and 1b. I don’t know what to think with Sanchez. I think if he hadn’t had the concussion issues he would probably be back and still may be. Hate to see that happen to a player.

Susac would see plenty of abs with the way Bochy handles his bench so I guess it comes down to whether the org thinks he needs more time behind the plate.

16. zumiee said, on December 2, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I saw the movie “Fruitvale Station” last night, and would say it’s a well-made film. But just a very sad story. I’m not sure what I can walk away from the film with other than sadness.

• Alleykat said, on December 2, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Say Zumie, Didn’t you say you went to see Birdman?
      Critics rate it high, thought I might give it a shot, especially with all this much needed rain we need coming in😄☔️

17. Hargesheimer said, on December 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Melk still needs to be the No. 1 priority.

18. DJLoo said, on December 2, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Great post up there, Wilco. Actually,even as a New Yorker, I found the Rocker interview absolutely hilarious:

19. zumiee said, on December 2, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Yeah, Kat, I liked Birdman a lot. One of the best movies of the year, IMO. The film won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, though.

20. Chipower9 said, on December 2, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Yeah, Lester and Markakis are getting most of the press re: possibilities for the Giants, but I still (regardless of Harge’s posts) like the idea of bringing back Melk. (Waiting for Kevin to tell me that it will never happen any minute now.) The guy I am interested in hearing more about is the young Cuban 3rd sacker, Yoan Moncada. Baseball America says the Giants and YankMees are the top contenders. Of course, he would probably not be ready for this coming campaign, but if he is as good as they say (5 tool guy who is better than any of the recent Cuban signees)…then giddy the fuck up.

• Irish Kevin said, on December 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm

ha ha ha ha ha haha hah aha

21. salty said, on December 2, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Think Markakis would be a bad deal. Worse than Rowand.I hope they don’t go that route.

Chi, melk doesn’t want to come back here. Get over it, dude.:)

• Flavor said, on December 2, 2014 at 5:31 pm

agreed on both counts.

• James said, on December 2, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Not exactly excited about Markakis, but he is definitely a cut above Rowand. Much better OBP and walk totals. Rowand was consistently a below average player (God, what an obviously stupid signing that was) — Markakis is just on the other side of the fence.

22. twinfan1 said, on December 2, 2014 at 5:55 pm

All arb players have been tendered.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 2, 2014 at 6:47 pm

yeah, just saw that….the Hector tender? not for me, but who am I to judge?

23. gianthead said, on December 2, 2014 at 6:45 pm

When I saw that Markakis was looking for a 4 year deal, the first thought that came into my mind was Aaron Rowand. So I agree with Salty. If the Orioles are balking at a 4 year deal then stay away.

I could deal with Freese as our 3rd bagger. Add in Cespedes and use the dough for Moncada as our future. That should leave enough for Ervin Santana…

• gianthead said, on December 2, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Of course if teams like the Reds are offering Mat Laos for Cespedes, we may not have to trade….

• gianthead said, on December 2, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Latos that is…Damn spell check

24. Macdog said, on December 2, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Fantastic story by WilcoJoe.

25. James said, on December 2, 2014 at 8:46 pm

It just struck me how odd it will be not to have Sandoval at 3B. I’m able to to imagine perfectly his throw over to first.

On a less maudlin note, Loo’s right, there’s something amusing and even appoaching the forgivable about Rocker’s uncontrolled rants versus the pure dumbfuck menace Wilco describes.

26. James said, on December 2, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I wonder if Dale Scott ever squeezed Wagner.

27. Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2014 at 7:57 am

I agree with Salt on Markakis. No way in hell I would go 4…I am not excited about him in any capacity, actually.

Regarding the Hector tender (I thought he may not be tendered, and also Ishi)…if he has recovered from the concussions, he may be good trade bait (switch hitting catcher).

28. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 3, 2014 at 8:15 am

I wasn’t surprised that Ishikawa was tendered. He’s been a good soldier and oh yeah that NLCS HR was awesome. Maybe they try to buy low on Belt and extend him as well as Crawford for some cost certainty the next few years. Sanchez surprised me a little bit. Mostly because I don’t see how they can keep running him out there to catch after the concussions. I’ve thought 3b and seen GH or someone else bring it up too. Sure, why not?

29. willedav said, on December 3, 2014 at 8:49 am

Speaking of 3b, Angels tendered Freese. Slated to make $6 mil if I read it right. Put up offensive numbers almost exactly comparable to Blanco, low .700 OPS/100 OPS +.
    Explanation on Angels blog was no one in system appears ready, and they did non-tender Beckham whom they do want to retain at less than $5 mil current salary. Angels did lead the league in runs scored last year with 773 and of course won shitload of games in park that favors pitchers…until Royals swept them.

So that’s the state of 3b these days—$6 mil for a guy with 1.5 WAR (according to B-R) who hit 10 HRs last year.
    Sounds like Sabes will be going dumpster diving again unless he figures Duffy/Arias is sufficient (gulp).
    I don’t have any read on the guy, but anyone think Duvall can play that spot or ever develop into a ml quality hitter?