When You Can’t Monday Morning QB Anymore

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 3, 2014

I had a thought coming into work this morning. I can never again question anything Brian Sabean does. While I was one of the only Flappers to support the acquisition of Jake Peavy on the day of the trade….

peavytrade

…..I never envisioned that Giants team capable of even getting to the playoffs (much less winning another World Series).

In fact, just a day or so after the Peavy trade I penned these now famous words uttered by my elder statesman:

sunsetting

At that time, the Dodger trolls were out in force and even Flap Universe was predicting a sad sunset on our season.

Naturally, we won the World Series. And it all started with Brian Sabean. Well, you could make an argument that it all started with Dan Uggla sucking so badly that Sabes was forced into calling up a second baseman who he publicly discredited prior to the call up.

But whatever, that’s quibbling with genius. And since most of us don’t understand true genius, we don’t understand Brian Sabean. And the bottom line is that he knows more than we do. The proof is “3 in 5”. For Giants fans, that’s rad. For Giants blogs, not so much…..

___________________________

Just a random screen shot of 2 unknown Giants fans hoopin’ and hollerin’ it up after Ishikawa’s bomb

sandawgchuck

1. zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 9:28 am

Well, if I wanted to be snarky, I could say that Sabean actually has 3 in about 17 or so. 🙂
    But your point is well-taken; the 3 in 5 speaks volumes. It’s better than the Big Red Machine of the 1970s. It’s better than the Reggie/Guidry Yankees of the ’70s. It’s far better than the LaRussa Bash Brothers, or the Braves’ Maddox/Glavine/Smoltz era, and on and on. Bochy is Hall of Fame bound, and maybe Sabean, too.
    The Giants hit on a remarkable percentage of first round picks since the middle of the last decade. And then lots of other add-on pieces besides.
    But, having said that, he’s not perfect. He’s had some well-documented blunders. He’s a fascinating character to observe, analyze, and, yes, second-guess. Every season is a new adventure, and the blogs will always have plenty to talk about. And being a Monday morning QB is a fan’s right. We support the entire industry. And Sabean is well-paid. He can take the occasional criticism. 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2014 at 9:54 am

I don’t know where to readily find the details, but I doubt there are many GMs out there who have more than 3 world series wins in 17 years. I will take Sabean over any GM out there right now.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 10:06 am

Me too. 🙂

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 3, 2014 at 9:35 am

I’m pretty much in the Sabean is a genious boat for the off season and foreseeable future but the run at Lester seems a bit more personal than business. I still want to see it happen though. Being a genius and all do you think he could help you with the minuscule text boxes in the main thread?

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 9:38 am

If your format allows, those boxes get bigger if you click on them.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 3, 2014 at 9:42 am

I feel smarter already 🙂

3. Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2014 at 9:58 am

This is for Salty (or anyone else who has info on the topic). I have been beating the drum about Melky being on of the best possible additions the Giants could do in the OF (based on what is availalbe and realistic via trades).

Salt said Cabrera does not want to come here. Can anyone show me something where he was quoted as saying this? The only thing I can find is that he would prefer to not play half of his games on turf (and his current club the Jays is the only one who still plays on turf).

Look, I realize it probably is not going to happen, but I would like to see something definitive on “he doesn’t want to come here,” if it exists.

This guy’s name has been kicked around here before. Would anyone be interested in Marlon Byrd? He has one year remaining at 8 mil, with a club (vesting) option for 8 mil. This was posed to me by a friend. Not sure I am down with Marlon at 39 years old.

4. James said, on December 3, 2014 at 10:41 am

Sabean’s best quality is that he seems to know the degree to which plain good fortune has to play a very big role when any team wins multiple WS over a short stretch of time. I used to try to torment my As fan buddies back in the 70s by claiming they had won 3 WS in a row by luck. I now know I wasn’t totally full of shit.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 12:00 pm

How close is “lightning in a bottle” to “luck, chance, or fortune”? That’s baseball.
      Reading the “1954” book….the Giants that year set a record for most pinch-hit HRs in a season with something like 10 or so. The players later said that it seemed like every button Durocher pushed that year worked. And it helps to have Willie Mays in his prime, too. 🙂 They benefitted from a great trade, trading fan-favorite Bobby Thomson for the pitcher Antonelli, who won over 20 games in 1954.

• James said, on December 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Yes, and Willie was never again on a WS winner. That I attribute purely to chance 🙂

Instead of 3 in 17, the relevant number may be 3 in 55. That seems like just about right, given the number of ML teams and the longevity of the franchise.

5. DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 11:03 am

I wouldn’t be surprised or unhappy if we land Adrian Beltre at some point before or during the 2015 season.
    Starting my own rumor…

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2014 at 11:47 am

The latest, according to “ML-Loo Trade Rumors” is that…

• DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 1:55 pm

There actually is a little logic to it in my warped mind. I’m getting myself excited about this idea,

6. twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Well, you just know who I’m going to talk about- Mr. Ishi. Certainly Panik and Peavy were the difference makers but Travis , IMO, was the story for the stretch drive. Released by 5 teams since 2011, considering retirement ( for good reason, he’d been pretty much awful for over 3 years), he got the call from Sabean and was signed to a minor league contract to provide depth at first base in case of injury. After a slow start, he hit well at Fresno, Belt was still on the DL, and Ishi got the call. The feeling was that he’d provide late defense, a PH or two and be back down after a week or so when Belt was due to return. Well, somebody still believed in him because he was still here after 2 weeks despite a robust .208 BA and 2 RBI.
    But then he proved his worth, resuming his excellence as one of the game’s best pinch hitters- 7 for 21 1 HR 6 RBI. All told he hit .274 here with 15 RBI in 81 ABs. Despite those numbers he was still a long shot for the postseason roster but Morse’s injury gave him a spot- as the LEFT FiELDER! He did a respectible job despite a couple miscues. Soon his time came, disproving Thomas Wolfe’s “You Can’t Go Home Again”….
    9th inning, Game 5 of the NLCS. Wacha on the hill. Rusty after nearly a month off, Wacha walked 2 straight batters and was 2-0 on Travis. SOP was to take a pitch but Ishi was looking for one in his wheelhouse- pretty awesome confidence from a guy who just a few months ago was crying on the phone as he talked retirement. I may be the biggest Ishi fan in the universe but even I was almost yelling- take a freaking pitch! Well, the SOB paid no attention and delivered the walk off home run that would take us to a most improbable World Series. I’m not sure that I can ever recall a player with Ishi’s history delivering such a memorable and historic home run. Whatever the future holds for Travis Takashi Ishikawa, he was indeed home again.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I’m wondering if the million dollar ’15 contract is just a big thank you, or does he have a solid chance to make the roster. I would think he makes the roster. I’m not sure what his status would be if sent to AAA to start the season, options-wise or waivers and all that.

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Great post, Michael.

• DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

“I’m not sure that I can ever recall a player with Ishi’s history delivering such a memorable and historic home run.”

Neither can I. I’m trying (Hal Smith?, Bucky Dent?, Al Weis?) but they don’t have that Ishi history you described…

7. Hargesheimer said, on December 3, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Why has Sabes delayed the Melk delivery?

8. Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Ishikawa is one of those guys I want back just for that spectacular helmet toss rounding 3rd. Easily the best ever.
    Seriously though, he’s probably going to be underwhelming next year, as he has been most of his career.
    But who cares? He won’t cost shit and he can shore up the bench. I’m all for bringing him back.

9. Alleykat said, on December 3, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Just a ? for the Flap..
    Why are some of you down on not getting Markasis as a LF who averages 155 + games a season and has a .290 lifetime avg?
    When you have Pence in RF another ironman along with Markasis, you only have to worry when Pagan breaks down again and have to go back to Blanco..

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I think Markakis would see a pretty big stats decline switching to the NL and into ATT park. Plus, he doesn’t really do anything THAT well besides show up to play every day. Aaron Rowand did that, too

• DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 2:51 pm

His stats show a bit of a decline in recent years and he’s not a LFer either, but for some reason I just have a good feeling about him. Maybe it’s a black and orange thing. My official shopping list is him or Melky plus Beltre and Santana…

10. Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Chuck and San Dawg, not sure if you guys saw this. I was re-watching different Ishikwawa videos and in this one, at the 1:24 mark is a quick shot (an awesome shot) of your kids at the game. Check it out

• Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2014 at 2:36 pm

That is BAD ASS, Flav. Thanks for sharing.

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm

The reason Markakis would not work Kat is that we need a right-handed slugger in left who can hit 25-30 homers. Morse might be able to do that if he played a full season but that is going to be the cloud hanging over him. A Markakis type of player just does not have the roster impact needed. Nor does Melky in my opinion. Pagan playing left probably produces the same numbers as Markakis. We let Cruz get away…not many other options now unless you make a deal that does not seem likely.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 3, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Torii Hunter is off the board so we can breathe easy now.

12. zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:17 pm

John Feinstein has a lot of interesting and poignant story arcs in his book about the minor leagues “Where Nobody Knows Your Name,” but Ishi’s story arc takes the cake.

13. zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Regarding Sabean, we’re all hugely grateful for what he’s done for the Giants. I’m sure he’s had a lot of fans tell him that. He understands the heartbreak Giants fans endured for so many decades. His quote is still on a sign hanging in AT&T Park about how the ’10 championship “buried a lot of skeletons.”
    These are amazing times, and I’m sure there are many times when Sabean himself shakes his head in wonder. I hope he’s fully enjoying everything about his job. He’s at the pinnacle of success.

14. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Hey! I know them! Anyway, Mykakis are gone.. 4 years with the braves

• DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Yeah, just heard about Markakis, Chuck. 4yrs/$44 million

15. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Craig, no I had never seen that. That’s awesome! Got to show Al when I get home! Thanks for posting it

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I’ve never met either of them (as you know) and they were only on there for a second but I thought, “Hey, who’s that girl holding a ball in the Arcade section of the park?”

16. zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Markakis signed for 4 years/$44 million.
    One of the 1954 Giants got a job as a swimming pool maintenance guy at a hotel when his baseball career was over.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Dusty Rhodes, tugboat captain.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:07 pm

And today’s athletes can feel “disrespected” by offers that are tens of millions of dollars. Pretty ridiculous. I wish athletes today would just say “I wanted more money than that,” instead of saying “I was disrespected.” But obviously they say it to make the “offending” team the bad guy,

• DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:11 pm

and tour bus driver at the ’64 World’s Fair…

17. Chipower9 said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Sweet…another guy, along with Torii Hunter that I do not have to worry about the Giants signing. Markakis just didn’t excite me…I think the guy is on the backside of his career…

18. pawliekokonuts said, on December 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I thought Sabes said Duvall and Panik were not ready AFTER they were up a while; or maybe they were up twice. Anyway, I don’t know if he was challenging them or what. Who cares, now. Sabes and Bochy. Our guys. The best.

19. Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I’ll tell ya what, that video I posted is so fucking cool. Watching the unbridled joy in slow motion is just a great thing to see. There’s always so much bad shit going on in the world and then you see a video like that–It’s like good beats evil stuff for me.

20. Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm

this is still my favorite one. Zumiee noticed the split second of silence as soon as the ball is hit. I probably wouldn’t have noticed that had he not said anything about it. Just one of the most perfect moments in Giants history. As a fan, one of the top 5 moments of my lifetime

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I would be remiss if I didn’t note the *real* clutch hit. Although a walk off will always over shadow it- the HR that brings the team from behind is the do or die shot. As Loo noted, Hal Smith hit the HR that enabled Maz to even get the chance to win it, and Morse hit the tying HR in the 8th or Ishi never gets to slam that helmet. All in all, one of the great playoff games ever, IMO. I’ve watched both shots about a hundred times and I still get chills.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 7:47 pm

sadly, I still think Buck’s call on Ishi’s HR was the best. And his HR call on Morse was possibly better than Miller’s, too. I hate to admit any of this…….

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2014 at 8:04 pm

And Reynolds nailed it- after it went 2-0 on Ishi, Harold went against the common thinking and Reynolds called for Ishi to look for his pitch and drive it. He repeated that after the HR but he made a great call at 2-0.

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:48 am

Yeah, I am not ashamed to admit it…my eyes well up with tears every time I watch one of the videos like this. Magic.

21. DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Betcha the Mariners re-unite Melky with his BFF Cano now that they just traded Saunders…

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Even with just signing Cruz, that actually makes a lot of sense for them

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I might have mentioned this but Melky and cohorts didn’t just create just one fake website to promote the fiction that he unknowingly took the PEDs. In fact they actually purchased “3 more existing Spanish-language sites that already sold health products, because investigators would have easily been able to expose a newly-created site. They stuck banner ads for the mysterious product, which contained nothing but a picture of a jar and a phone number in the Dominican Republic”
      Melky was so far out of “character ” that the teams prides itself on that it would be hypocritical to pursue this lowlife.

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:08 am

Michael – I have learned much from you over the years, and I respect your opinion, but have to disagree with you on this one. People make mistakes. Really stupid mistakes. And most times they are forgiven. People have committed much more heinous “crimes” than Melky’s shenanigans, and been forgiven. If he and the Giants sat down, cleared the air, and he apologized, then I say put that man in a Giants uniform, again.

22. zumiee said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm

One of the Flappers the other day said that Markakis reminds him of Rowand in that same situation. I can see that. It’s cool that the Giants passed on that one. It’s a pretty sad thing to watch somebody struggle like that, trying to get to the end of the bad contract. It’s kind of like watching a wounded insect struggle or something. The Braves are already going through this with B.J. Upton, and went through it with Uggla. I’m not saying Markakis will be like that, but who knows. I really don’t want to see Scutaro try another comeback. He and the Giants ought to just come to an understanding, and allow Scutaro to leave with his dignity.

23. Alleykat said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Anybody that can compare Aaron Rowand to Nick Markasis should have their head examined.
    Nick is by far the better player, hell is worse Batting Average year at .271 was Rohand’s best with the Giants in his 1st year& he only got worse after that!!

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I was comparing his lack of doing anything exceptional to Rowand. What is it about Markakis that you think he does in an outstanding way that we couldn’t live without? And don’t say defense. That’s not part of the game I’ve ever seen you harping on here at the Flap.

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Sorry Kat my Markakis response got posted above. My argument is that Pagan playing left every day will probably have the same numbers as Markakis. We need a slugger in left….

24. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Just read on jondowdsrevenge that the giants offered 6/145ill for Lester, per unnamed sources.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Ha! Wow!

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Mind blowing if accurate and if they have ownership on board with those kind of numbers. Bumgarner must be a happy man knowing he will break that number….

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I still think that kind of deal will be a big mistake and hamstring us getting a hitter we need…

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 3, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I agree.

• DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I don’t believe that for a second.

25. Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 4:54 pm

if you get a chance, go watch the Jimmy V espy speech again. Ah fuck it, here it is

26. pawliekokonuts said, on December 3, 2014 at 5:06 pm

The Ishi homer really is one of the most electric in Giants’ history. Period.

27. Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 5:32 pm

and that screen shot of San Diggity’s son and Chuck’s daughter–man, does that get any better? Especially when you remember the story of how they started dating and how Diggity and Chuck didn’t find out about it till they attended a Flapalooza?
    Totally insane odds….

• gianthead said, on December 3, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Did they meet because of the flap?

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 6:41 pm

no. both the dudes found out their kids were dating at a Flapalooza. It was the weirdest, wildest thing I’ve ever watched unfold

• gianthead said, on December 4, 2014 at 7:08 am

no way..that is hilarious. I don’t think I ever heard that story before. We could pepper them about the potential first Flapper Love Child:)

28. Hargesheimer said, on December 3, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Clearly, another sign that Melk’s on his way back.

• Nipper said, on December 3, 2014 at 6:25 pm

dream on…….

29. DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Dodgers reportedly getting involved in the Lester bidding…

• paulinasia said, on December 3, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I guess they do need another starter with Haren and Beckett gone… but why so late in the process? Just trying to drive up the price someone else will have to pay (as if the price isn’t high enough already)? Or just f-ing with the Giants? Makes me want the G’s to get him even more, despite the apparent $145m price tag, which, if management approves that, it must mean they think they can afford it plus the other holes that need filling….

• Hargesheimer said, on December 4, 2014 at 3:50 am

Melk’s still gotta be the highest priority.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 7:49 pm

bidding v. world series winning, I don’t give a fuck what they do……..

30. DJLoo said, on December 3, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Rooster must weigh about 400 by now. He’s been out to dinner for well over a month…

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2014 at 8:05 pm

fucking platinum gold.

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:23 am

Second! Another Loo gem! Dude, you and I need to party some day, Loo!

• twinfan1 said, on December 3, 2014 at 8:10 pm

It’s a cool thing imagining the Bums watching Game 5 of the NLCS, and to a man thinking- “those lucky bastards”

31. sfsarge said, on December 3, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Just wanted to chime in on a couple of things, first the story that wilco posted yesterday was awesome. Second I know the Rowand deal was a bad one, but at that point in time the Giants were going to have to overpay anyone of note to come play in SF. Those immediate post-BB years were brutal. Lastly, I didn’t realize how little I pay attention to the rest of the baseball world until the banter about who is available. Markakis? I had barely heard of him before a week ago. Torii Hunter? I didn’t realize how old that guy was until watching the MLB network today. 18 years in the bigs? They talked about some kid the Jays signed that wasn’t even born when Hunter was drafted in ’93. Not cool MLB net, not cool.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:38 am

I Sarge. Sent you an email. Good to’ve met you, over by that Famous Statue at Third & King.

• sfsarge said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:03 am

Hey Pawlie, I got it, working on it. Thanks!

32. willedav said, on December 4, 2014 at 7:49 am

Biggest thing on LF would be to figure out what you want to balance out rest of LU.
    A guy with high OB who can field well like Snarkk mentioned? RH pop like GH said?
    Offense is at a premium these days and figuring out who could do what for your team isn’t easy.

During this run Sabes has had pretty good luck with guys coming off down years/injuries and grabbing guys from other teams who have “sold low”–Huff, Uribe, Ross, Scutaro, Pence, Pagan, Torres, Casilla
    And some of it really is luck, and some a plaayer just finding himself in best spot and taking advantage.

33. DJLoo said, on December 4, 2014 at 7:56 am

I ‘ve convinced myself that Adrian Beltre is the perfect solution for 3B…

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:12 am

Loo, your 7:55pm last night about Rooster, which I just read, made me LOL, real loud, inappropriately, at a coffee shop. That is precious metal. Precious.

• willedav said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:29 am

Yeah, loved that one. That’s also why I don’t care for Rooster’s act, which is only to show up here when he can gloat about his boys in blue. Rest of the time, like when 3 in 5 is happening, he’s out to dinner.

34. willedav said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:27 am

Figuring out 3b of course will factor heavily into what rest of LU looks like if you make changes to LF.

Previous thread I asked if Duvall could cover that, and when I went to his page in B-R was a link to local blogger GG Sports something that had write up on in house 3b options. These would be Duvall, Duffy, Arias, Dominguez and Adrianza. Lot of potential there at low cost, little proven.
    Freese did get tendered $6 mil deal by Angels but could still be available. Hit 10 HRs and low .700 OPS for them last year, about same offensive numbers as Blanco in pitcher friendly park.

35. pawliekokonuts said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:37 am

It being an odd-numbered year, as crazy as it sounds, and I’m not the GM, I hope the Giants hold back and do not spend big on a sexy player, nope, on no one. We’re not due until 2016, so just obey the Fates and all will be well.

36. pawliekokonuts said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:05 am

The way I while away my time (today at least):

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:29 am

I am ready for another Multifarious Victoriuos Parade. And I say break the mold (every other even year), and win it all again NEXT YEAR! Why not??? Four in Six has a pretty damned nice ring to it, don’t you think?

37. pawliekokonuts said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:10 am

Buster Olney of ESPN abstaining from HOF voting. I did not click to see why (I avoid ESPN’s signup or paywall). Whatever the reason, fine with me. It would be extremely intriguing if there was a groundswell. Imagine if a majority of the BBWAA members abstained. It’d be awesome. Just because. But they won’t. People are sheep.

• zumiee said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:53 am

“Buster Olney of ESPN — to abstain from voting for the Hall of Fame. His reason? The 10-player ballot limit in combination with the backlog of PED users (for whom he normally votes) means that, rather then just voting on, say, Mike Mussina’s Hall of Fame merits, he is forced to choose between Mussina and, say, Randy Johnson, and thus Mussina is unfairly harmed. His view is that, if he does not submit a ballot, that’s one fewer without Mussina (in his case because Mussina is squeezed) which may, in effect, give Mussina a boost:

‘Maybe I should’ve figured it out last year, but this puzzle cannot be solved. There’s no way to judge each candidate strictly on his merits given the current ballot limitations, no fair way to vote.
      I can’t stand the protest ballots we’ve seen in the past, when someone signs a blank ballot that counts as a vote against all candidates. That’s unfair. I’ve hated to hear the stories of voters who haven’t voted for a player because they didn’t like them personally. The voting shouldn’t be about the writer; it should be only about the players and whether or not they’re worthy of induction.
      And I can’t stand the idea of casting a ballot that works against players that I think should be inducted, such as Mussina, Schilling or others. So as much as it has been an honor in the past to participate in the voting, I’ll abstain, and hope that in the future the rules change.'”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:40 am

I’m not one to defend Bonds as I wasn’t a fan of his but I would respect Olney’s point if he just came out and said he doesn’t want to vote for Bonds or Clemens.

• James said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Olney actually supports including the PED stained.

38. zumiee said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:34 am

Did someone say Rooster? This is a great, great song. And here’s an amazing song video someone put together:

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:12 am

heavy duty vid.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:19 am

That is a great song and video.

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:39 am

Wow. Powerful video and a great song. Thanks for the share, Zume. Having served in and retired from the Air Force, I am so glad that our Viet Nam vets are finally getting some love. They got shit on for way too long. Bless the souls of those who sacrificed it all.

39. Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:42 am

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:01 am

a “fox sports source?” I’ll believe it when the local guys start reporting it.

• gianthead said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:13 am

Just say no Chi and Sabes

40. Flavor said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:43 am

Chris Haft/SF Giants ‏@sfgiantsbeat 12m12 minutes ago
    Giants sign Travis Ishikawa to one-year, $1.1 million contract, said his agent, Jim McDowell. Ishikawa thus avoids salary arbitration.

41. unca_chuck said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:10 am

Chase Headley offered 4/65 from unknown team. Certainly a lot cheaper than panda.

Then again they can sell Heddy (that’s HEADLEY) Lamar hats.

• gianthead said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:14 am

Probably Yanks since they are paying way too much

• unca_chuck said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:23 am

Yeah, yanks, Marlins, giants and ??? in the mix

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Chase Headley 4/65 or Melky and the Melk Maids at 4/64? Give me the criminal and his Melk Maids, please.

42. Alleykat said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:16 am

Yeah nice job by Sabes to bring back a hero! Travis will always be a legend with fans& will never have to buy his own drink🍺🍻🍹🍸🍷in SF ever..

43. ewisco said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:39 am

Hedley Lamarr: I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

Taggart: [finding pen and paper] Could you repeat that, sir?

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:11 pm

And Melky Cabrera and the Melk Maids, too!

44. Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Look guys, I am not making this shit up. I still say he is the best OF option out there, and if there is common interest then forgive and forget, and get the deal the fuck done. Kat has said Cabrera does not want to come here. Show me a quote from him to that effect. (Hasn’t happened yet.)

• Flavor said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:22 pm

well just from an assumption standpoint, it would be fair to think he doesn’t want to come back to a place where he was publicly disgraced and where he made an ass out of himself and where he showed himself to not even care enough about his teammates to even speak to them before slipping away in the night.

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 1:40 pm

As I have said…people make mistakes (where he made an ass out of himself and where he showed himself to not even care enough about his teammates to even speak to them before slipping away in the night).

And as I said earlier, people have made bigger mistakes and have been forgiven. I am ready to forgive and forget if he wants to play ball again here.

45. Flavor said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Schulman would know:
    Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman 32m32 minutes ago
    He was and he did. RT @CrystalPepsi: Melky didn’t mistreat us fans, nor was he ever an ass to us

46. Flavor said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm

KNBR ‏@KNBR 40m40 minutes ago
    Bobby Evans on Melky: “We are in early discussions with him. The reports on five years for him – that has not been articulated by his rep.”

47. James said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Stripping away economic and clubhouse concerns, I would not exactly be unhappy if Lester, Cabrera, and Headley were all Giants when the games start next year.

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I agree on all counts.

48. Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Giants aviod arb with Hector with 800k deal. Two down, four to go.

49. Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 12:51 pm

On Cabrera, I have NO ax to grind. Do I think what he did was idiodic? Fuck yeah. I have no idea how him leaving the team went down (did he or did he not apologize). I have heard from people like Larry Kruger (KNBR) who said he has asked a number of the Giant players about him, and none had anything negative to say.

I DO know that he would he a big addition to the club.

And I am ready to let bygones be bygones and forget about all that bullshit that happened in 2012.

• snarkk said, on December 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm

With u on that. If/when Melky screams an RBI double to RF, does anybody think ATT fans will sit on their hands? They didn’t while Bonds was cranking splash hits into the Cove…

50. snarkk said, on December 4, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I’m on record as feeling now the HOF = joke. Managers of PEDS users get in no problem, but the player is out. Stupid. I’m for limiting the Bbwoa voters to those who swear under oath that they never wrote or investigated about PEDS in Mlb because they just had no idea it was happening until it became public knowledge or the Mitchell report came out. Hypocrites…

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Agree with you whole-heartedly on this one, snarkk.

51. DJLoo said, on December 4, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I’ll take Melky, Santana and a trade for Beltre.
    Just can’t see giving Lester that deal…

• Chipower9 said, on December 4, 2014 at 2:39 pm

What do you think it would take to land Beltre, and do the Giants have the pieces. If they do, are they willing to deal them?

Perhaps Melky (with the Melk Maids in tow), Santana, and Headley (he wouldn’t cost us any trade pieces)…

• DJLoo said, on December 4, 2014 at 3:29 pm

He’s old but can still hit, Chi. Just hoping Texas is looking to re-build and would dump his contract for nothing special…

52. DJLoo said, on December 4, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Could the Sanchez signing possibly have anything to do with moving Buster to another position?
    Or is he just some cheap insurance?

• zumiee said, on December 4, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Gives them some depth at catcher. Sanchez and Susac can compete in Spring Training for the back-up spot.
      Much better than the ‘No Whitey’ days. (Whiteside reference people may remember. 🙂 )
      I’m guessing Susac wins that competition, and Sanchez starts the season in Sac-town.

• Chipower9 said, on December 5, 2014 at 7:49 am

Agree with all of this, but also think that Hector could be a trade chip if the Giants decide to go that way for a 3rd baseman (Freese, etc.).

53. paulinasia said, on December 4, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I’m firmly in the “no on Melky” camp, but mostly I’m surprised the team is even considering bringing him back, just from a PR perspective. It took years for the Giants to erase the label of “cheaters” from the Bonds years, and the team’s image at this point is very high (3 in 5 will do that). The team made a statement by not reinstating Melky for the 2012 playoffs when he became eligible; hard to believe they would do that but then bring him back now. Can you really trust this guy? Sorry, but re: Melky, I will always have the image in my mind of one game long ago when he played for NY, and a single was hit toward him in the OF, and the fans in the stands behind him starting chanting his name as he readied to field the ball, and he turned around to wave at them…. as the ball rolled past him. He’s a f-ing clown. Not… to be…. trusted…. What I think doesn’t matter. Just really surprised the team is considering it.

• Chipower9 said, on December 5, 2014 at 7:52 am

We can agree to disagree on this one, Paul. I appreciate your opinion…just do not share it. I believe in giving people a second chance, and I do not think he is a fucking clown…actually think he is one of the best OF options available this year as a FA.

54. paulinasia said, on December 4, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Plus, Melky’s afraid of thunder. Maybe that’s why he’d be interested in coming back to SF, not much thunder.

55. Alleykat said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Agree P/A,
    Melky Cabrera can not be trusted in my mind and true Flappers know that. Some will always be in denial, but that’s everyone’s rights & opinion(which are like ass holes everyone has one)
    To me Melky is a “Charlatan” and the Giants should stay away from him this time!

• paulinasia said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Um… thanks for agreeing with me about Melky, Kat, but not sure I can endorse your “true Flappers” comment…..

• Chipower9 said, on December 5, 2014 at 7:54 am

“True Flappers?” WTF??? Sorry Kat, but there are a few here, myself, Loo, snarkk, and others who have been Flappers for a long fucking time, and know the game, AND are down with bringing him back. Look, I respect your opinion almost all of the time, but I think you are way off base here. We can agree to disagree on whether or not the Giants will bring back Melky, but I cannot buy into your “real Flapper” comment.

56. DJLoo said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:19 pm

It’s all about bucks, Kat. The rest is conversation…

• Alleykat said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm

True Loo,
      The almighty dollar usually win’s out.
      Just rather they go “All IN” on a guy like Lester right now with uncertainty in their rotation with only Bum a sure thing. Cain?nobody knows how he bounces back.Hudson turning 40, lots of mileage on him,really a 4-5 guy now.Timmy more ?marks then answers, they have to get another top- end starter,preferably a Lefty to balance out the rotation, and Lester&Bum would be quite a formidable duo going forward IMO.
      And I would be all in to resign Peavy as well for his bad-ass reputation and experience!!
      Then your rotation shapes up nicely with:
      Bumgarner
      Lester
      Cain
      Peavy
      Hudson
      Lincecum/Petit / BP spot starters are 5 th guy if Hudson/Cain/ Peavy breakdown.

57. zumiee said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I was pretty rough on Alvin Dark the other day, especially given the fact that he’d just passed away; so having just read “1954,” I should give the guy credit for being a big contributor to that championship, and for helping to knock out the Dodgers in ’51. He was a good ballplayer, and he did also win a championship as manager of the A’s.

58. salty said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I’ll eat my buster bobblehead if Melky chooses SF.

• salty said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I’ll wash it down with that beer Chi owes me. 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on December 5, 2014 at 7:58 am

I am assuming you mean the beer I promised ANY Flapper who is present at the next Flapalooza. And this is becuase I “guaranteed” that Pablo would be back with our Giants. You, Salt, and I can agree to disagree on the Melky conversation.

• Alleykat said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Buster would eat his own as well if Melky returns Salty..

59. zumiee said, on December 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I saw this on the web; I’m not sure what their criteria for “best offense” was; they didn’t say. Possibly total runs scored.
    I found it sorta interesting. It shows the NL tends to win the World Series with pitching and defense.

2014: Giants were the 10th best offense
    2005: White Sox were the 17th best
    2004: Red Sox were the best
    2003: Marlins were the 12th best
    2002: Angels were the 7th best
    2001: Diamondbacks were the 15th best

• James said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Zumie, the comparison across leagues is distorted because of the DH, and between teams in general, by the ballpark factor. OPS+ is the closest thing to an objective measure of offense. Every one of those AL teams had very good to great pitching. You could look up other stats to show that there is no difference between the two leagues in “how they win.”

• zumiee said, on December 5, 2014 at 6:19 am

Good points. I guess I was sort of reacting to the big media pre-Series hype in the ’10 and ’12 World Series about the Rangers’ and Tigers’ offenses. Plus there was a lot of pre-Series hype in ’14 about the Royals’ speed on the basepaths. The AL offenses get a lot of media attention, but as you say, the stats are skewed, and the conclusions from that are flawed.

60. paulinasia said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Well, it’s Friday “over here”, and the mighty weekend is upon us. Thought we might hear some news before the weekend about the Giants making some moves, but maybe we have to wait until next week. I’m gonna guess a pitcher and a 3rd-bagger come first, then an OFer. Will it be Lester? I actually hope so. Could be Santana, Loo…. and, I wonder if the Giants are the team with the offer on the table to Headley. Actually, that would be ok too (I just don’t think Duffy, Arias, Adrianza, or Duvall are starters at this point [and perhaps Duffy is the only one of that bunch who ever will be]). Enjoy your weekend, Flappers, and here’s hoping for at least a tidbit of some interesting news soon. The mental masturbation of blog GM-ing gets a little boring after awhile… 🙂

• zumiee said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Regarding Lester, Jon Heyman posted this, for what it’s worth.
      And I remember one of the Flappers saying Lester doesn’t throw to first to hold runners anymore. That’s pretty amazing.

“No one has said much about this, but Lester may ultimately decide he’s actually more comfortable pitching in the American League, where he’s spent his whole career to this point. Lester is 0 for 41 lifetime as a hitter, and he has a well-known hitch within baseball circles throwing to the bases, which could become a greater issue since NL teams bunt a bit more. (The hitch is such that Lester has avoided throwing to first base on pickoff throws since April 30, 2013 — not a misprint — a reluctance he generally counters by being unusually quick to the plate.)”

• Alleykat said, on December 4, 2014 at 10:02 pm

No biggie to me Zumie,
        Timmy doesn’t know how to hold runners either,and he’s slower then molasses to the plate, where Lester is much quicker,and being a lefty would still be more a disvantage for base runners in general.

• paulinasia said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Interesting. I’d be happy with E. Santana, and he’d be a helluva lot cheaper than Lester, but Lester does seem like the best pitcher out there. Although I’m not sure why Scherzer isn’t getting more love in all the rumors. Is Boras his agent? Maybe that would be why….

61. xoot said, on December 4, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Interesting tweets from Hank Schulman tonight about Melky v. Bonds. He says there’s no comparison, and cites the cover up by all who knew, from mlb honchos on down, in Bonds’ era. Schulman say no to Melky now. Loud stand for a beat writer. I agree with him. And I’m beginning to revise my view of the roid era blame now. Maybe those writers (Schulman among them) were in the tightest bind of all.

• DJLoo said, on December 5, 2014 at 4:44 am

Happy holidays, Xoot. Stick around a little more if you can.

62. snarkk said, on December 4, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Good to see you here, xoot.
    I give the baseball beat writers and opinion writers no slack re: the ‘roids era. None at all. Many many knew what was happening, but reported squat. Didn’t try to investigate. Couldn’t let a story like that get in the way of their access to the team. It took Canseco’s book and “Gaaaaame of Shadooooows” to blow things up. Boswell wrote about it in the late ’80s after the RSox fans called out Canseco, but nobody followed up. It wasn’t that hard, but they didn’t try. Now, they won’t vote for the alleged PEDsters into the HOF because those players aren’t “clean enough” for the hallowed halls. Everybody made a living off of PEDs, including the sports writers. They were totally into “see and hear no evil” mode. Hypocrite is a most appropriate word, IMO. Good story on the modern steroid history in MLB below, and LaRussa doesn’t come out smelling very well in this…

63. zumiee said, on December 5, 2014 at 6:31 am

The Padres are making a play for Kemp? I’m not seeing how that would benefit the Dodgers much, in 2015. In the longer run, perhaps, but not in the immediate future. Kemp had such a strong second half in ’14. But if the Dodgers want to weaken themselves further for ’15, I’m all for it. They still haven’t replaced HanRam’s bat.
    Maybe it’s all connected to getting Lester, and improving their defense, overall. HanRam and Kemp are not good defenders anymore. Still, that would be a lot of offense to lose, unless Seager and Pederson can be solid major leaguers. That seems like a roll of the dice.

64. zumiee said, on December 5, 2014 at 6:44 am

Lots of interesting moments in Feinstein’s book about the minor leagues, like stuff about the “atmosphere” inside a AAA clubhouse. I’m a “team chemistry” guy, and on AAA teams there’s precious little of that. The players barely follow the AAA standings, if at all, and players are coming and going a lot. MLB games play on the clubhouse TVs, but are mostly ignored, unless there’s an injury, in which case the players slowly converge on the TV like vultures to see how serious the injury is.

• willedav said, on December 5, 2014 at 7:05 am

I really enjoyed that one Zum. One of the mgrs. had a sign up that said “If you don’t like it here, play better.” One other thing that struck me was how many ml guys got derailed from injuries and wound up in AAA trying to show they can still play–misdiagnosed, trying to play hurt, making adjustments that ultimately made them worse, etc.

As for LA, I think it’s Mattingly saying to upper mgmt., hey look we couldn’t win with all these high priced clowns.
      I think ultimately he’d rather play the kids in the OF (Van Slyke and Peterson) and shove Puig back to RF.
      Same for SS, which I’m sure he knows Hanley can’t do anymore anyway.
      Anyway, he’s coming back and some of them aren’t.

65. Chipower9 said, on December 5, 2014 at 8:02 am

I am not as all in on Ervin Santana now after reading this article. Thought it was interesting…