The Last Few Guys

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 14, 2014

Now that Melky is off the table, let’s look at the remaining top free agents. Do you see any of them wearing our uniform next year?

Max Sherzer

James Shields

Chase Headley

Colby Rasmus

Jed Lowrie

Asdrubal Cabrera

Jake Peavy

Mike Morse

While I haven’t been too concerned about not getting a piece of this year’s free agent crop at some point we do need to fill some holes. One of these guys has to be an SF Giant next year, right?

1. willedav said, on December 14, 2014 at 8:08 am

I’d love to have Morse back and would be up on Peavy too. Shields probably a reach and I’d just say No on Scherzer and others.

Lowrie seems like classic Sabes buy low guy. He’s had a couple very good seasons in his career including 2013 for A’s where he hit 15 HRs and had .791 OPS while batting .290. Last year he got off to terrible start and then was hurt a month (August) after he started hitting better. Excellent IF and versatile, 30 yrs old. His career OB is .330 and career OPS .740, which is higher than what Sandoval did last year. He does switch hit but had rough time last year vs. LHP. Better option than in house imo, including Duffy.

Paul’s right, Flav is up and at em early.Used to be only Nip among west coast guys posting at 4 or 5 AM, and after some pithy one liner I’d wonder if Nip was spiking the Yuban.

2. Bozo said, on December 14, 2014 at 8:23 am

I would like to see Morse back but I’d prefer it was in a spot starter PH/DH role.
    I’d love to see Sherzer in Orange and Black, but that ain’t happening, unless the Orioles go big.
    Third base? Maybe we could get Kevin “The Crushin’ Russian” Kouzmanoff to tag team with Scutaro between third and the back doctors.
    I think it would be a very good thing to have a Third baseman, They do come in handy.

3. gianthead said, on December 14, 2014 at 8:27 am

Where is Bonifacio on your list????? 🙂

4. gianthead said, on December 14, 2014 at 8:32 am

Glad to see Melky off the board sorry Chi. If the Giants simply went 3 years at $60 mill for Cruz, I think we would be in fantastic shape….I still prefer the Upton/Johnson trade option but could easily see a Lowrie one-year fix.

I am still a big no on Shields. Has there been any discussion here on what it would take o land Hamels???

5. unca_chuck said, on December 14, 2014 at 8:42 am

I was holding out for Cantu at 3rd.

6. Raymond said, on December 14, 2014 at 9:03 am

I would like peavy and morse back too…I don’t want Lowrie though. what I saw of his defense and his perceived bad attitude…I don’t want him. sour grapes all the way!

7. FanSince59 said, on December 14, 2014 at 10:13 am

Over the last several years , it has been apparent that the Clubhouse atmosphere has been terrific…and though the metrics guys can’t necessarily measure this in terms of wins, team chemistry has to be considered here…whoever they get, at whatever position, they have to meld with the current G-Men….and maybe that’s why the trigger has not been pulled yet! So, which one on this list has a piss-poor attitude and would be destructive in the clubhouse?

8. DJLoo said, on December 14, 2014 at 11:58 am

The NLCS hero is the forgotten man. If nothing significant happens as far as LF goes Ishi could get 350 PA in 2015…

• James said, on December 14, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I don’t think Ishi would be more productive than Blanco over that much playing time.

9. James said, on December 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm

LF seems the least critical of the spots to fill, although you could get by with less at 3B if they do manage to obtain Upton.

• zumiee said, on December 14, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I wonder if the Giants could put together a trade package for Upton that wouldn’t be too harsh. I’m guessing Susac would have to be included. Maybe Blanco would have to be included. For sure some minor leaguers inlcuded, hopefully not Okert. Maybe include Arroyo. He’s more a trade chip now as Crawford and Panik have nailed down the starting middle infield.

10. zumiee said, on December 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Upton’s just a one-year rental in all likelihood, so that’s a downside.

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2014 at 3:25 pm

It might at least keep him playing hard. He hates ATT and he’d be leaving his bro who’s also his best friend.
      Can’t see that as a good move for us.

11. Nipper said, on December 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Free Agents are usually overrated and overpaid. Sabean is wise to be cautious.

• DJLoo said, on December 14, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Million dollar idea:

San Francisco Giant fortune cookies – written by Nipper,

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2014 at 5:06 pm

if that takes off maybe he could try his hand at Snapple Facts.

12. Flavor said, on December 14, 2014 at 5:17 pm

gonna try to get a new bbotd up every day. Need some tits to drag me out of my Niner doldrums……

• paulinasia said, on December 14, 2014 at 5:39 pm

There used to be an ok Asian massage place in E. Palo Alto that might help… 🙂

13. giants54 said, on December 14, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Warriors keep rolling…toying with their opponents.

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm

only 2 teams in the history of Bay Area sports have won 16 in a row– these Dubs and the A’s about 13 years ago or so.

• DJLoo said, on December 14, 2014 at 6:09 pm

How about the Dons? With Russell or Cartwright?

• DJLoo said, on December 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Not to mention the great Joanie Weston and the SF Bay Bombers…

14. DJLoo said, on December 14, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Not sure if it’s officially over for your Niners, but this is a way you can play around with different scenarios that would get a team into the playoffs.

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2014 at 7:11 pm

not gonna click on this. it’s *over*, at least for me. Some years are just not your year. This was one of those years for the Niners…….

• DJLoo said, on December 14, 2014 at 7:50 pm

15. pawliekokonuts said, on December 14, 2014 at 6:35 pm

I don’t know if anyone commented on it, but word is that Barry Zito is working out, in Houston. Do you think he would pay the Giants to play for them?

• DJLoo said, on December 14, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I haven’t forgotten his 2012 heroics, but I would take Skip Pitlock over him on most days…

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2014 at 7:08 pm

he left with all the fanfare, the standing o, the dude struck out on purpose, etc….I can’t see him coming back here. If he tries to latch on with a team it should be with a team that plays it’s spring games in Florida. No way he looks good in March in Arizona trying to get that curveball to break there…..

• paulinasia said, on December 14, 2014 at 7:22 pm

They say he’s changed his mechanics, rhythm, delivery, etc. The only thing I’d be even just a tiny bit curious to see would be a Zito knuckleball. I’ll bet that sucker would just flutter in the breeze…. Ok, barring that, i’ll take James Shields. Or just put Petit in the rotation and be done with it already.

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I’d like to see him throw a knuckleball, too. Just not in a game that counted.

16. zumiee said, on December 14, 2014 at 11:36 pm

The Sac Kings fired their headcoach after a year and a half. That’s just an organization spinning its wheels. The dude had a 9-6 record before his best player, Cousins, went down with viral meningitis. And it’s not the coach’s fault the GM has blown several first round picks. What’s Jimmer doing these days? Is he even in the NBA still?

• zumiee said, on December 14, 2014 at 11:39 pm

It turns out Jimmer plays for New Orleans, and played against the Warriors tonight. In a game that went into overtime, Jimmer played a grand total of 7 minutes and scored 2 points.

17. zumiee said, on December 14, 2014 at 11:44 pm

Well, I guess I can’t totally blame the GM for thinking Jimmer might be good:
    “He played college basketball at Brigham Young University (BYU) and was the leading scorer in all of NCAA Division I basketball during his senior season. Fredette was also named the National Player of the Year and won the Wooden Award, the Naismith Award, the Adolph Rupp Trophy, and the Oscar Robertson Trophy that same season. He was selected with the tenth overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks and subsequently traded to the Sacramento Kings.”

18. zumiee said, on December 14, 2014 at 11:52 pm

So in the latest draft, with the 8th pick in the first round, the GM gave Coach Malone a guy named Nik Stauskas, a supposed sharp-shooting 3-point artist.
    So far, Stauskas is averaging 14 minutes a game, 3.5 points per game, shooting 24% on 3-point attempts, and shooting 33% overall. 33%?? Oh man, that’s bad.

19. Flavor said, on December 15, 2014 at 5:45 am

I’ll let WillieD comment on Jimmer but I knew a lot of people who said he wouldn’t be any good—he could do one thing: shoot from deep with no one covering him. That’s a tough gig to make money off of in the NBA

20. Blackndorange said, on December 15, 2014 at 11:14 am

Well Headley’s officially off the board.

Are we going to sign anyone?