Examining a J-Up Acquisition

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 17, 2014

Just killing time, but I thought we could kick around the “Justin Upton trade thing” making the rounds right now. I call it a *thing* and not a *rumor* because I don’t think the Giants would ever in a million years put together the right trade package that it would take to get J-Up.

There are at least 2 main reasons that he wouldn’t want to come to SF.

#1: His tweet from 3 years ago is fairly indicative of his feelings:

jup

#2: He wouldn’t get to play with his brother anymore. Speaking of that, BJ Upton is one of the worst hitters in either league. Why would Atlanta trade Justin and keep The Human Swing Through? If anything, I’d take them both just to keep Justin’s spirits up. BJ could be Justin’s butler. He could drive him around to different strip joints. I dunno. And you’d think Atlanta would be happy to get rid of BJ who literally looks like he can’t see the ball when he swings. Check it out sometime, it’s pretty hilarious.

Someone should show J-Up how his 29 homeruns would have done at AT&T Park last year:

jup2

Regardless, it would be unbelievably risky for the Giants to package up 2-3 players (and it would be at least Crick and Panic) for a guy in his walk-year who, for all we know, doesn’t like SF for reasons other than the ball traveling like crap here. You would think he’d care about winning a championship but as this free agent season has shown us, ballplayers don’t seem too worried about winning. They just take the fattest dollar offer that gets put in front of them.

He doesn’t have a no-trade clause so if we traded for him he would have to play here. With what attitude, I don’t know…..

1. Bozo said, on December 17, 2014 at 6:41 am

I don’t get Atlanta’s moves this year. If they do trade Upton, why bother keeping Kimbrel and Freeman? Just think what they could get for those guys.

Also, can someone explain to me why Villalona is still on our 40 Man? Really, does someone in the organization think he still has a shot? (no pun intended, well, maybe just a little)

• xoot said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:43 am

I have a theory on Villalona, Bozo. The Giants tried to dump him after the homicide shooting in DR; he sued (in DR, I believe) for breach of contract, and the case settled (confidential terms, don’t settle a lawsuit without them). My guess is big V’s side of the settlement granted him a guaranteed spot on the 40, so he has been receiving the mlb minimum salary (approx. $1/2M per?), even if he’s striking out in San Jose. I think under the reserve clause it’s 6 years and out, so his sinecure should be coming to an end soon–if my theory’s correct.

• xoot said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:44 am

That’s mlb’s “reserve clause”

• Bozo said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:51 am

Makes sense xoot, I sure couldn’t come up with a reason.

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:55 am

Sounds plausable, because like John, I sure as hell can see no valid reason the dude has hung-around as long as he has.

2. pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:32 am

plus ATL has way more strip clubs than SF…based on unscientific, anecdotal, “second-hand” evidence

3. willedav said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:53 am

Oh man, LF all over again. At least Alex Rios signed elsewhere too; can’t believe he got $11 mil. Upton might actually be better off 3000 miles away from BJ. You’d get major slumps not unlike Pence when he’s just flailing up there and frustrating Flappers, but he’s a pretty dang good ballplayer with the all important *RH pop*.

Evans is quoted in today’s Chron saying Giants are more into finding a 3b than LF as part of the excuse for not re-signing Morse. Since quality FAs appear to be gone, you’d have to think trade. Wonder who interests them…can we revive Zobrist rumors?

Saw something interesting on F-G: Steamers projects Panik to hit .265 with a little more pop than last year (5 HRs) but the OPS would drop from .700 to .665 range. Seems harsh, but expecting him to hit .300 again I think is a pipe dream. Since he rarely walks a lower BA would mean the OB takes a dip; maybe a little more pop out of his bat than last year (1 HR/1 XBH per 20 ABs) keeps the OPS up.

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:57 am

Zobrist would probably be as expensive as Upton. I don’t see that happening. He is on a club option year at 7.5, with incentives. I have not heard definitively, but I am sure TB exercises that option.

4. Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:58 am

I thought this was a pretty good breakdown of the current status of the Giants (what has happened to date, and what is left to be had).

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 17, 2014 at 8:22 am

Yeah, agree. I’ve sort of been waiting for the Ichiro move.

• willedav said, on December 17, 2014 at 8:56 am

good read, thx Chi.
      Ichiro at this point isn’t much better hitter than Blanco, if that.
      Sad to see a first ballot HOF guy like him go out this way (like Jeter fare well tour last year)…time to ride off into the sunset.

• willedav said, on December 17, 2014 at 8:58 am

Potential upside would be a Japanese replacement for Amy G.

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:15 am

lqtm. Would probably get a rise out of Ted…

• DJLoo said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:00 am

I think the sun only rises in Japan…

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 11:00 am

Not sure about the sun only rising in Japan (and yes, I have been there), but I have seen a few “full moons” in Japan. It was a beautiful thing…and lends new credence to the term “howling at the moon.”

5. Hargesheimer said, on December 17, 2014 at 8:18 am

Jupton is also a lackadaisical outfielder, which probably makes him equivalent to re-Morse even if his talent level is superior.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:04 pm

re-Morse — good one

6. FanSince59 said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:07 am

No way would I package Panik fpr any of the names currently in the trade rumor mill; nor would I move him to 3rd… He is a strong 2nd baseman like Robbie T from yesteryear….

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:05 pm

yeah, Panik in my view is of the untouchable caste, is that brahmin?

7. Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:18 am

Panik is not available IMO. This dude should be a stalward middle IFer for the Giants for years to come.

But…if he is open to it, and the team (Bochy and staff) feel it in the best interest of the team, then I am okay with experimenting with Panik at 3rd. It is NOT my first choice (that is him staying at 2nd)…

8. James said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:34 am

Between LF and 3B, IMO the latter is the bigger issue. But that’s also dependent on how LF is filled.

I trust that there’s no good package for Upton, although you do see deals from time to time that seem pretty imbalanced. What I don’t buy at all is the notion that Upton’s year long performance would be affected by some psychological barrier to playing here. Just for the heck of it, see Bobby Murcer. There’s never been a dude more depressed to come to SF, and there was no drop off in his performance.

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:14 am

I could care less about the “psychological barrier.” Upton is not coming here, because the cost (top prospects) would be prohibitive when he is in the last year of his deal.

9. gianthead said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:42 am

Maybe Justin Upton’s hesitancy is that he thinks playing in SF hurts his free agent value after this year. So one way to give reassurance is to work out an extension.

Sabes also then does not think he is a one-year rental and a 4-5 year extension is worth the prospects the Braves will want. Panik to me is also on a no-trade list and the only worst hitter I have ever seen in baseball to BJ Upton is Juan Perez. Only way I agree to take BJ is if the Braves pay a hefty portion of his salary, we get Chris Johnson as well and the prospects we then deal are way below top tier. We then use the top tier prospects for Cole Hamels.

Now Justin may not want to sign an extension so he could test the free agent waters and my preference is to actually have him only on a one-year deal in order to see what he is really worth. An extension in my mind would have to be 5 years and $85 mill range. We could definitely afford that.

• gianthead said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:51 am

1) Pagan/Blanco – CF
      2) Panik – 2b
      3) Posey -C
      4) Belt – 1B
      5) Justin Upton – LF
      6) Pence – RF
      7) Crawford – SS
      8) Chris Johnson – 3B

Pretty deadly lineup…

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 11:01 am

I think Belt has great upside potential, but I would not slot him in the clean-up spot just yet.

• giants54 said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:54 am

He’d puke on 5/85.

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:16 am

Dude…I want some of whatever you are smoking. Sounds awesome in theory, but I give the likelihood zero chance. Let’s talk reality…

10. sfsarge said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:45 am

Ok, so let me ask this question. Say they do try Panik at 3rd, isn’t there now a hole at 2nd?

• Flavor said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:48 am

yup. That’s why they aren’t going to mess with Panik. I also don’t think he has the arm to play 3rd.

• FanSince59 said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:55 am

I thought that Duffy could play 3rd…I like what little I saw of him last season…I think he is a good fall back if they don’t land a proven 3rd baseman.

• Hargesheimer said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:07 am

So much for getting younger. Frank Duffy turned 68 in October: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Duffy_%28baseball%29

• gianthead said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:53 am

And I don’t think there are really any decent options available for second among the free agents…even with Bonifacio:) of course he could play third…just kidding

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:18 am

I think Duffy would get the first shot at 2nd if Panik was moved to 3rd. To FanSince59 – Duffy played like three games at 3rd during his stay in the minors. I would, like you, give him a shot there if nothing else materializes via FA or trade.

11. Lurker John said, on December 17, 2014 at 9:52 am

Screw Upton. He has a shit attitude anyway and I don’t think he’d fit in with the Giants’ clubhouse anyway.

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:19 am

With you 110% LJ. Fuck him, AND the horse he rode in on.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:06 am

The Friars have been busy this offseason. Didn’t O’Malley get involved with ownership of that club along with Phil Mickelson?

13. giants54 said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:10 am

The only scenario Panik was going to be moved is IF they had signed a 2B. But don’t think Giants really considered it. It was media blockeads. Think G’s wanted Lowrie or Cabrera to play 3b not move Joe.

14. giants54 said, on December 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

After hitting in Arizona and Atlanta, believe Upton’s numbers would decline at ATT. And he seems like the kind of guy whose head would get screwed up hitting here. No on uptight upton.

• James said, on December 17, 2014 at 11:37 am

The Atlanta park favors pitching.

• Bozo said, on December 17, 2014 at 11:41 am

I Agree Giants54. I could see it becoming another Rowand type situation.

• James said, on December 17, 2014 at 11:58 am

Aaron Rowand was not a very good player. Justin Upton is a good player.

• Bozo said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Yes James, Upton is a better player. But really, if he says he doesn’t feel comfortable hitting at Pac Bell why would you risk that becoming an issue and trade for him?

15. James said, on December 17, 2014 at 11:39 am

The only downside of 3n5: the renewed vigor of the psychobabble.

16. Macdog said, on December 17, 2014 at 11:56 am

Hey, at least someone’s back: Giants and Sergio Romo agreed to a two-year, $15 million deal, according to @Ken_Rosenthal

• James said, on December 17, 2014 at 11:58 am

Fantastic!!

• Hargesheimer said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm

A real game-changer!

• zumiee said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:01 pm

A key contributer to 3 World Series championships.

17. unca_chuck said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Just saw that . . . In Rumsfeld’s world, he’s a known known.

18. Alleykat said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Hey we’re starting to make noise…
    Sergio Romo to resign 2/15, works for me..

19. Bozo said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Since the Giants are at 40 on the 40-Man, either someone has to get traded off of that list or get DFAed (I’m guessing either Scutaro or Adrianza are the DFA choices). I would think that both Susac and Duffy’s names have come up in trade talks, though I imagine it would take a lot to get Susac.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I think xoot’s reasoning on Villalona makes sense but Adrianza on the 40 man is beyond me.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Yup, Ehire should not be here-ah.

20. pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I am very glad if Romo re-signed. And all you know I like Arias. I’d try him. For a while. But Sabean is on record as saying the answer won’t come from within. (But doesn’t the answer ALWAYS come from within, sensei?)

21. gianthead said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm

So much for the theory of not throwing money away at stars of the past… $15 mill for a set-up guy is a waste of about $12 mill dollars. Oh well here’s to you Sergio for playing the Giants like a fiddle…

• James said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I agree that it’s a pretty crazy amount for any player who pitches fewer than 100 innings. The alignment of dollars to marginal value is pretty out of whack across the board in MLB. But he’s a good bet to continue to perform well for those two years. His consistency is rare in bullpen guys.

• Chipower9 said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm

We can agree to disagree…I think it is a good signing. Fuck it…they have plenty of coin left, and he is an integral part of one of the best bullpens in the game.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I’m with you. In THIS market, not outrageous. And psychologically wise, if not numerically (that’s for James).

• James said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:43 pm

PK, I’ll admit to some psychological uplift from the news, but it has not done much for my productivity.

22. Alleykat said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Plenty of options left at 3rd if Sabes can swing a deal…
    Middlebrooks,McGahee
    Chineshall,Valebuena, screw Cabera ,doesn’t want to play 3rd anyway!
    I’ll take McGahee 1st,power good glove
    Middlebrooks cause he’s younger ( make Kevin smile)and still has upside.
    3 rd Chinsehall power young too, but stinks as a fielder.

23. zumiee said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I had some reservations about Romo during the season, but he was terrific again in the playoffs. The whole bullpen was, other than Strickland, and even Strickland had some good moments, and showed future promise. I’m onboard with the Romo signing, the years and dollar amount. Compared to what some others around MLB have gotten, that’s a reasonable price for Romo.

• Hargesheimer said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Strickland had the most consistent gopher ball in all of MLB.

• zumiee said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:58 pm

He showed some raw talent that might be able to be harnessed into something consistent.
        And he’s going to get a World Series ring next Spring. Pretty darned cool for him.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:02 pm

no mas on the Strichnine

• Hargesheimer said, on December 17, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Baseball has a history of hard throwers who were failures because they threw straight and had nothing else to offer. He has a future in BP, though.

24. unca_chuck said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:53 pm

And in other news, Ray McDonald, under investigation for another sexual assault, was cut by the 49ers.

25. zumiee said, on December 17, 2014 at 12:55 pm

As for the 40 man roster, the Giants should quietly DFA Scutaro. Thanks for the memories; we’ll always have the incredible 2012 performance to remember. And the Giants paid him well.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Agree with that, too. Hey, if LA can eat salaries, SF can, too — and the eating will be so organic, artisanal, gluten-free, non-GMO.

• zumiee said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:09 pm

πŸ™‚

• Hargesheimer said, on December 17, 2014 at 2:23 pm

But Scutaro is the future…

26. gianthead said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I personally think I’m watching Romo this year that NL hitters have figured Romo out. They stand there waiting for the slider to break outside and they don’t swing and wait on him to give something over the plate.

He can still get outs as in the WS but there won’t be a lot of easy outs for Sergio I think over the next couple of years in the regular season…

• gianthead said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Sorry meant watching Romo during the season this year has lead to me believing NL hitters have a book on him….

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I don’t think so. I remember there being some mechanical adjustments he made that resulted in 2nd half success leading into the playoffs.

• James said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm

His fastball was also hitting 90 at the end of the season. His WHIP was under 1, an improvement over 2013. His K rate also went back up.

27. snarkk said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Hope I’m wrong, but I think Romo’s expiration date will be before his new deal ends. IMO the Villalona thing is obviously driven by that lawsuit settlement — I’ve said so before. No other plausible reason, the guy is a stiff. Giants hate bad PR, and will do things to avoid it…

28. snarkk said, on December 17, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Panik and Craw are getting simpatico up the middle, so leave Panik there. They’ll try Duffy at third and hope to be surprised, otherwise a late ST move or at the deadline to cover the third sacker. Arias as starter there is Doa IMO …

29. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 17, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Now that we’re normalizing relations with Cuba does it mean the Giants can actually sign one of them?

• xoot said, on December 17, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Good point. No more human trafficking of defectors worth $50M on the field; buy em up as FAs on the free market, the American way. πŸ˜‰ In any event, I bet the salaries taper down a bit for those guys with an apparent ton of talent but absolutely no mlb experience. And the Giants have to be in on that somehow.

30. zumiee said, on December 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I read somewhere that Comcast Sports Bay Area will be broadcasting some 2014 Giants playoff games for several days, starting tonight. The broadcasts will use the KNBR audio. Tonight’s game is the Pennant-winner against the Cards, I think. 7:00 Pacific Time, I think.

• sfsarge said, on December 17, 2014 at 3:21 pm

True story

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 17, 2014 at 3:25 pm

From the Merc
      Wednesday, Dec. 17 at 7 p.m. β€” NLCS Game 5 (Panik, Morse and the Ishi walk-off)

Wednesday, Dec. 24 at 7 p.m. β€” World Series Game 1 (Bumgarner)

Friday, Dec. 26 at 7 p.m. β€” World Series Game 4 (Blowout win)

Sunday, Dec. 28 at 7:30 p.m. β€” World Series Game 5 (More Bumgarner)

Monday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m. β€” World Series Game 7 (Dude, Bumgarner)

On Dec. 25 at 10 a.m. and on Jan. 1 at 9 a.m., CSN Bay Area will replay the parade coverage and the City Hall celebration.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 6:55 pm

too bad I don’t live in the viewing area (viewshed, to use an enviro term); wait, it would not matter. No TV.

31. stickman said, on December 17, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Due diligence on Romo. He resurrected his season and then went on to be mostly lights-out in the Post-Season. Good to see some loyalty on a guy who has been instrumental in that 3 of five. The coin is no problemo. Easily and well afforded.

So we are down to three more positions to re-cover: 3B, LF and #3 Starter. When the returns are all in i do think they will come to terms with Shields. After all, it will only be money. He’s fine for a #3, but was overbooked by K.C. up against Bumgarner as their Ace to set the pace but couldn’t run in place. Not many #threes out there who would top him. With the LF situation we may end up with someone like Marlon Boyd, a placeholder for a year or two. Third: Still up in the air but i trust Sabes to produce.

32. stickman said, on December 17, 2014 at 4:46 pm

New destination for the A’s? Now that relations with Cuba are finally normalizing, perhaps the A’s should give a close look at Havana for re-lo. Though initially, the gate would not be much, moneywise, the crowds would be ginormous. Cuba is utterly baseball crazy. They put the Dominicans, Ricans and Venezuelans to shame.

Of course such a move would require league realignment on perhaps a major scale. Maybe the A.L. could have a South division to replace their rather slender West. Imagine: Two teams in Florida, one in Atlanta, Two in Texas and one in Havana. Conceivably, we could even be looking at a winter league. What that could mean for baseball-starved fans between November and February! Who knows, under the latter scenario, there could even be two winter leagues if you consider Mexico City, Santo Domingo, San Juan and Caracas in the scrum.

Major baseball realignment? Worthy of some consideration. Oh well, at least Havana.

33. sportdude said, on December 17, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Whats harder? replace 3B or stud SP or a setup guy? Have to laugh and cry. …
    Maybe, just maybe we should replace our setup guy in house and throw the extra $15 mil at Panda, Lester or Tomas. Sabeans an idiot on this one.
    Just imagine. We have Panda and Srickland (or whoever) or Duffy and Romo. Lester and Whoever, or Voggy and Romo.
    I love Romo but this shows little thought and a lot of panic.

• zumiee said, on December 17, 2014 at 5:11 pm

No offense, but you are sounding like the one who’s panicking.

34. zumiee said, on December 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I recently checked out a fairly new biography of Ted Williams from my local library, called “The Kid.” I’m looking forward to diving into it, after I finish the Ken Follett novel I’m reading.
    Williams never won a World Series, and the Giants now have 3 in 5 years. Who’da thunk it? πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

35. Flavor said, on December 17, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I’m fine with Romo coming back. There’s something to be said for having winners on your team. And I’m 100% convinced that when Romo sucked and lost his job last year it was mostly due to a tender elbow.

36. Flavor said, on December 17, 2014 at 5:31 pm

If all we do the rest of the off season is sign Sherzer and plug shit into 3rd and LF, I’m fine with that. And I recognize that it’s a long shot that we sign Sherzer.
    It’s the only thing I have to look forward to till Spring starts. That, and waiting for this sunburn to peel. I think I basked too long….

37. pawliekokonuts said, on December 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm

G’night, girls.

38. paulinasia said, on December 17, 2014 at 7:41 pm

“Plug shit into 3rd and LF….” Ha. I’m hoping for something at least slightly above *shit* for both, but I suppose adding a Scherzer to the rotation would make that shit stink a bit less. Still…. I think Sabes will find someone(s) that doesn’t set off too many alarms on his shit-o-meter, kind of like when he suddenly signed Morse last year after all of those other OFers had signed elsewhere, and Reggie Sanders back before the ’02 season, a late move that put the team over the top. And yes, Scherzer is definitely a long shot; Shields is probably more likely, and soon.

• willedav said, on December 17, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Dug Reggie Sanders, cool player I wished stuck around longer…Kenny Lofton (hella b-ball player too) as well.

• paulinasia said, on December 17, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Yeah, Willie, getting Sanders just before the season started and then Lofton during the season were great finishing touches on that team. Damn, shoulda won that Series, but hey, can’t complain about the 3-in-5.

39. sportdude said, on December 18, 2014 at 12:19 am

Zummie. Not panicking. Just done basking and looking to next year. IMO we don’t look good. There is no more “Morse” signings out there. What am I missing? I’m the only one who loves Romo but from a baseball point of view we should have put that extra money to any one of the the three guys we finished #2 on so far this offseason..Just sayin

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 2:15 am

“Done basking”?!! Basking never ends!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
      But I hear what you’re saying, Dude, and I’m curious about Sabean’s moves for 3B, LF, and a starting pitcher.
      But keeping the Core 4 of relievers together is a cool thing, too. Grant Brisbee wrote:
      “The Giants don’t win the World Series without their most expensive relievers-
      The four pricey relievers (Romo, Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez, Santiago Casilla) in the 2014 postseason: 29β…” innings, 1 earned run.”
      These 4 guys have been lights-out in the playoffs during the 3 in 5. Yeah, they’re getting older, but they’re still getting it done, overall. And the Giants have 3 of them under contract now until ’16, with Affeldt’s current contract ending in ’15. I would assume they extend Affeldt next off-season, if he has a good season and stays healthy, and the contract years and price are relatively reasonable.

40. sportdude said, on December 18, 2014 at 12:22 am

Paul..I think Sanders catches the spezio homer if he didn’t hit the wall as he started his jump.He didn’t pay enough attention to where he was. A common mistake, but a costly one. Never knew for sure until I saw the game a few years back and could slow it down frame by frame with the DVR…

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 2:23 am

Interesting you mention that homer, because I just realized I’ve never gone back and looked at it, or tried to find footage of it. It was so painful a moment, that I’ve never done it. But even now, with all the championships, it would be hard for me to watch it. In fact, I’ve seen precious little footage of that 2002 Series since it happened. Even one of the most famous things, Darren Baker getting grabbed by J.T. Snow, is hard for me to watch, because I was so miffed that Dusty had his 3-year old running around the dugout while the team was trying to win a World Series. That HAD to have been a distraction for Dusty and others on the team.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 18, 2014 at 4:38 am

me too traumatized, and by 1962….and my editor friend says that is key to my fan memoir — exorcising all of that

41. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 2:32 am

Speaking of World Series footage….how about that media pre-Series hype over the Royals outfielders? The speed, the range, the blah blah blah:

42. sfsarge said, on December 18, 2014 at 7:15 am

So glad that I was in basic training in 02 and missed the heart breaking debacle. Just reading about it in the paper was bad enough. I can’t imagine having to watch it