Ranking Our Three Needs

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 18, 2014

All I want for Christmas is an outfielder, a Max Sherzer and a 3rd baseman. In that order. We absolutely need a competent, major league outfielder. Not a platoon guy or someone converted to outfield. A legit outfielder. I don’t know who that is going to be but if the Padres can get creative enough to trade for Wil Myers AND Matt Kemp then I have to believe that Sabes has it in him to bring in a real outfielder in 2015. Blanco is going to need to play CF when Pagan hits the DL and when Pagan is playing we need a LF that isn’t Blanco who we know can’t play a full season at any position. I love Blanco, for all the same reasons you guys do. But we need an outfielder, badly.

Next, I want Sabean to sign Sherzer to a 6 year/150 million deal. I think it’s possible to get him for this *bargain price* with so many big market teams dropping out on him.

Thirdly, for 3rd, I want the Giants to trade a box of cigars for David Freese. Not only are cigars on the cheap now but Freese can perform at replacement level for the year and not make me wonder how Adam Duvall would do at the position.

How do you guys rank those 3 obvious needs?

1. Nipper said, on December 18, 2014 at 7:08 am

Wishing isn’t getting. It’s Sabean’s method of getting that makes the difference in obtaining players. It’s certainly not the Dodgers way.

2. xoot said, on December 18, 2014 at 7:58 am

I watched game 5 of the NLCS again last night. Have faith, I guess.

On the Cuban player front, this professor isn’t the most exciting writer but he generally knows his stuff:

• willedav said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:08 am

Thx xoot, very interesting. Article in chron today mentioned possible posting situation ala Japan and Korea.
      good to see you back too.

• Chipower9 said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:12 am

Good read. Thanks, xoot.

3. willedav said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:00 am

SP comes first. This is good because quality guys are still available, even in trade. Quality SP plus reliable pen gets you through torture and help survive what SF may lack at back end after Bum and Cain. I’d bring back Peavy for 2 yrs and try to get one more SP. Hudson and Lincecum hopefully survive one more year without being awful and Petit emerges as innings eater.

LF/3b are kind of chicken and the egg, imo. Get a decent hitter at one spot you can go in house/dumpster dive at the other until trade deadline. If top of LU is Pagan Panik Belt Posey Pence that’s pretty solid but you need one more bat, either an OB guy or someone with pop to hit ahead of Crawford/Duffy/Blanco.
    I hope Pagan can return to form and pick up the OB. Panik I can see suffering some sophomore jinx at the plate as he becomes better known around the league, and Susac too. Belt hopefully makes up for it with more power and better OB.

Crapshoot witchcraft has worked before–Burrell Huff and Uribe were guys no one else wanted and blasted a lot of HRs out of ATT in short span, just like Morse. Timely ones too.

• gianthead said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:14 am

I am with you WD that pitcher is first need…I guess Peavy may be the best option remaining as a free agent…

4. DJLoo said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:00 am

As far as order of importance, I have converted to James-ism so I’ll go with whatever he says.
    Personally, I think you have a better chance of seeing Kickham in the rotation than Scherzer.
    It’s time to develop a young starter whoever that may be. The man for 3rd IMO is Beltre as soon as Texas goes into salary dump mode. Maybe Sabes will wait that one out. I’m sure he’ll grab some cut-rate outfielder as well over the winter. No pressure on him whatsoever to make a big move at this point in time. Re-signing Romo was huge.

5. gianthead said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:09 am

My official prediction is that by Sunday night we will have a new left-fielder. Don’t know who it will be but I would have had it as my #1 need if we could have filled it with a true right-handed slugger Ala Nelson Cruz. Now that there is not any similar hitters available as a free agent nor any natural fits via trade (J Up is not the true slugger I covet), I put a starter as our #1 need.

I don’t think Sherzer is coming on the cheap. I still think he lands a $200 mill deal and in would not be surprised to see the Red Sox landing him at the end of the day. If the LA Fuckers think the Giants are in on him and there may be a reasonable financial deal (it is sad to think $150 mill would be a reasonable deal) then watch the Fuckers start talking to Boras if Boras is not on the phone with them right now as we blog trying to drive up the price. I hate the idea of Shields, so what does that leave us???

Romo signs for $15 mill, Morse went for $16 mill. Wouldn’t Morse had made more sense to bring back than Romo???? I am sure Morse would have taken a little less as well to have stayed, maybe at $14 mill. We would have least plugged a more immediate hole and if we could still have added an every day left-fielder, Morse off the bench and playing first some against lefties would still in my mind would have been a better investment than Romo.

• willedav said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:16 am

Much as I enjoyed Morse I would disagree there to choose btw the two. Casilla jacked himself up last year, and in that scenario without Romo SF would be lost. I don’t think they have reliable RHP to compliment Affeldt and Lopez and even with Romo I’d still be in on another RH guy more reliable than Strickland or the other gopher ball guy who was long man—big guy whose name I can’t recall right now with the forkball that sometimes didn’t fork til it got over the fence.
      Above esp true if Lincecum is in the rotation alongside Hudson.

• gianthead said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:42 am

One thing I think Sabean and the scouts have an edge on everyone else is finding pitchers. I think there are lots an lots of potential right-handed arms that can be used as a set-up guys, maybe guys in our own farm not named Strickland. I think finding such an arm may be the easiest spot to fill in baseball. Dime a dozen and here is my next prediction that Romo won’t be the go to right-handed set up arm by the all-star break…

• Chipower9 said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:54 am

I am with WillieD on this one. I would have taken Romo over Morse. Morse was not high on my pecking order for OFers. I made it well known that I would have preferred Melky, and even for three years at what the White Sox paid. But that ship has sailed. I think the money on Romo was money well spent, and will in no way prohibit the team from filling their other holes.

• Chipower9 said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:56 am

Dime a dozen for guys like Romo? Again, I want some of whatever you are smoking. I humbly disagree.

• gianthead said, on December 18, 2014 at 5:01 pm

No my point is dime a dozen for right-handed set up guys. Romo from 2012-2013 is no guarantee for what we get in the net two years…

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:11 am

I’d say SP first with the other two in whatever order. I think Bumgarner will continue to be good and may even go to the next level during the coming season. I’m going with faith on Cain resembling past form. Hudson, Lincecum and then who? Peavy? No confidence in the first two and no thanks on the third. I’d prefer Sherzer but Shields will do.

7. James said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:18 am

In the name of the pitcher, 3rd baseman, and left fielder.

• snarkk said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:07 am

Marichalus vobiscum…

8. snarkk said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:05 am

I’m going with LFer, then a starter. Give me a LFer, so I don’t have to stare at another 6 for 60 summer slump by Blanco, highlighted by first pitch fake bunts to get my hopes up. Maybe Gary Matthews is still available and in shape? Sounds like Peavy may be in the mix to re-sign. He’ll be serviceable, probably not a lot more…

9. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:16 am

GH, I wouldn’t say “dime a dozen” on those set-up guys. That’s my opinion on that, anyway. The Tigers and Dodgers were killed last season, in the end, by a lack of dependable set-up guys. And, as last night’s Comcast replayed game showed again, even the Cards got bit on Neshek’s fat pitch to Morse. In the high pressure situations, a lot of players do a lot of wilting. I can’t blame Sabean for taking a known quantity, Romo, on that.

• Chipower9 said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:48 am

Agree, zume…well said.

10. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:21 am

Maybe Gary Brown will rub his own head for luck, and have a great Spring.

The Giants do a lot of things very well, but man, are they bad at evaluating young outfielders.

11. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:23 am

Ethier could be had for very little. But the Dodgers may not want to help the Giants in any way, and who could blame them.
    I think Etheir would be highly motivated to prove he’s still legit. But the question is: IS he still legit? The Dodgers don’t think so, but there’s no way they could be 100% sure on that.

12. Alleykat said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:26 am

Well Sherzer might not sign on the dotted line if we keep spelling his name wrong. It’s Scherzer..with 2 different color eyes,so I guess when he’s pitching great the dominant color eye prevails..

13. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:28 am

Ranking the needs:
    1. Get Scherzer or Shields
    2. Get a decent leftfielder
    3. Dumpster-dive a 3B

And bring on 2015 and some more crapshoot witchcraft!! 🙂

• Chipower9 said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:49 am

Crapshoot Witchcraft…It’s the Giants Way! Love it…

14. Bobeau said, on December 18, 2014 at 9:45 am

I’ve been thinking of Freese too – he’s a national league guy, a great clutch hitter, and maybe he will torch the Cards in the payoffs! 🙂 I’m blanking on his name, but the Cards also traded a left fielder to the Red Sox (Alan…) who did not do well over there, who is also a national league player and had almost 100 rbi’s for the cards a few years back. Add those two guys, and it would not cost us a lot. Then add Peavy and Shields!

• Bobeau said, on December 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm

right…Allen Craig…

15. Chipower9 said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:02 am

I rank a SP as first. I think Scherzer is a pipe dream and there is no way in hell of that happening. So, my next would be Shields, and then Peavy (on a two year deal, only).

I would say OF next, as I think they should give Duffy a shot at 3rd and see what the kid can do. He has played a few games there in the minors and looking at his stats, he did not embarras himself. He also won the Eastern League batting title with a .332 average in a pitcher’s league, and hit .400 as a pinch hitter for SF.

I thought this was a good read on the Romo resigning:

16. FanSince59 said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

Going for Scherzer at this point is key , IMO. They certainly can afford him. (and during the winter/spring they need to rewrite MadBum’s contract to reward him for his great ’14 season). After Scherzer, a bat is key whether it be in LF or 3RD.

17. Alleykat said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:06 am

Alan Craig

18. Chipower9 said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:06 am

Missed the re-run of the NL pennant clinching game last night, but I bought the DVD set this year (all seven WS games and that NLCS clinching game, too). Set can be had on Amazon for 49.99.

19. Chipower9 said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

Like Zumiee and others here, I think Scherzer is still going to get north of 200 mil, and I just don’t see the Giants being in on that one. Time will tell.

20. Bozo said, on December 18, 2014 at 11:10 am

For sure get Scherzer if they can.
    Since I fear Arias starting more than I do Blanco, and since the Rays are in a selling mood, line up Crick and whoever else it takes and get Longoria. Now we’re talkin’ my Christmas wish list. Whoever we get to play LF could bat 7th or 8th and I wouldn’t give a shit.

• Bobeau said, on December 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Longoria would be awesome

21. Irish Kevin said, on December 18, 2014 at 11:57 am

Well Christmas wish lists….my first thought is left field. Except I want to know who is playing 3rd right now for AAA and AA. and here is why if Scuto had been health last year we would have never known about Panik and probably would have been 2 years wasted in AAA. I understand when the Giants had a bunch of rookies (Posey, Panda, Belt.etc) Sabean wanted to bring in Vets (read old guys) to anchor the team. But now the Giants have plenty of vets to guide the rookies. I don’t remember anyone here touting Panik to be brought up to play as Sabes brought in Uggla and a host of other wanta bees, bees. So I say if Sabean does not find someone for 3rd or LF bring up those youngsters.

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I remember a lot of eagerness for Panik, on the Flap. It did kind of cool a bit when he was brought up and struggled. Although, if I remember correctly he had 2 or 3 hits in his first game. The “cooling” for some (me included) was his defense. He was kind of shaky at first. But eventually, when he got another chance later in the season, he tightened up his game; he had calmed down a bit, gotten more used to being in the big leagues, and then was good the rest of the way, and completely nailed down his ownership of the secondbase spot.

• xoot said, on December 18, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I remember, soon after Panik got called up, feeling a chill when the potential last out of Lincecum’s no hitter headed his way. But he handled it. And I agree, he steadily improved. He started out chasing pop ups hell for leather into RF so Pence had to dodge him, but eventually wound negotiating his part of the OF grass with real skill. And that game 7 DP–one of the most beautiful DPs in WS history?

22. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Yeah, put me on the Longoria bandwagon, too, if Tampa Bay wants to stay in fire-sale mode. Just pull up an SUV filled with whatever minor leaguers they want from the Giants’ system. Susac and Duffy could be chips, too, if needed.

23. Alleykat said, on December 18, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Still think Sabes is going to trade minor league pitchers for his 3rd basemen, from a list of:
    Will Middlebrooks
    Casey McGahee
    Lonnie Chinshal(sp?)
    All 3 natural 3rd
    All 3 have power, with only Lonnie D’s shaky to say the least,he hit .280 with 15 bombs &59 RBI’s with ops at .760 very respectable.
    For further breakdowns James where are you?

24. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 12:52 pm

The Kemp trade to the Padres got a little stranger. Kemp’s physical revealed athritis in both hips, and the Padres have stalled on completing the trade, as they ponder what to do. They could just ask for more from L.A., money or minor leaguers, or just void the deal, which impacts the L.A. trade for Jimmy Rollins, which hasn’t been completed yet, either. One of the Padres’ chips was going to be used in the Philly trade as part of a…….wait for it…..THREE WAY!

• DJLoo said, on December 18, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Could he just have his hips removed? Like hamates?

25. Alleykat said, on December 18, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I could easily go for a “Three Way” if 2 smokin hot babes are involved😍😘

26. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 18, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Nice write up on Bochy

27. snarkk said, on December 18, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Gyros have had musical chairs at 2nd since Kent left. Keep Panik there, the kid looks like a solid piece for that position for the foreseeable future…

• DJLoo said, on December 18, 2014 at 2:07 pm

What about Ray? (From across the bay?)

28. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Speaking of secondbasemen….if you want to see something that could be described as “old-school ridiculous,” and how tough it could be for middle infielders back in the day, check out Hal McRae taking out the A’s secondbaseman Green on the doubleplay attempt, in the ’72 World Series. It’s at the 46 minute mark, and check out the slow-motion replays. It would absolutely start a brawl nowadays. It’s a football tackle:

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Jesus, how was that ever legal?

• gianthead said, on December 18, 2014 at 5:51 pm

How did that nor result in a brawl…

29. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 4:33 pm

McRae could be a doooosh, but the rules allowed him to be a doooosh. Here’s another one. And Billy Martin didn’t like it:

• gianthead said, on December 18, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Or this play…old school but where is the old school response?

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2014 at 5:59 pm

maybe cause they were WS games there was restraint.

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Yeah, players would be wanting their pitchers to retaliate. MLB relied on a certain amount of self-policing in those days. There’s some self-policing now to a lesser extent.
        Fortunately, some rule changes made the game more humane.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 18, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Bill White the announcer…and everybody skinnier.

• zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Very cool.
      I’m gonna miss that dude, but I’m glad the Giants didn’t pay out that kind of contract for him, because, unfortunately, the odds are he’s going to miss chunks of time during that contract.
      Giants fans will have a great memory of him and his contribution. He ended his time in SF on the best note possible.

30. zumiee said, on December 18, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Padres are trading players right and left. They just made a trade with the A’s. who are also trading players right and left. Message to A’s fans, Padres fans, and Dodger fans: don’t buy expensive player-name jerseys.

31. gianthead said, on December 18, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Longoria’s name was mentioned on mlb network as possible trade candidate for the Giants. I had no idea he is signed through 2022 and is owed $118 mill for the remainder of his deal and is already 29.

But he has a reasonable $11 mill salary this year and then $12 and $13 the following two years. That is less than what Panda will be making. Longoria as a Giant should be a 20-25 homer guy and 80-90 rbis. That seems good value for the next 3-4 years when his contract is reasonable and he would still only be at $15 mill roughly in 2019 and 2020 when he is 33 and 34, which again is not unreasonable in today’s market. The two expensive years would be $17.5 and $18.5 in his 35th and 36th years. But we won’t have much other contract obligations that far out except for whatever Bum gets in his extension.

Is it reasonable to expect he would be 20-25 homers and 80-90 rbis in the next 3 years? I think that is probably as much production Panda would have given in the same time period if he stayed a Giant. Thoughts?

One positive is that the Rays in order to unload a $118 mill contract can’t expect much in return…

• Flavor said, on December 18, 2014 at 7:15 pm

He’s signed 2 team friendly deals, he’s going nowhere.

• DJLoo said, on December 18, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I’ll greet him when he arrives…

32. unca_chuck said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Shit, even Evan has to be tired of that scene. Surely he’d like to come to a winner,

33. sportdude said, on December 18, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I’d love Longoria too but we don’t have the chips to get him. Now we have to trade prospects because we didn’t sign anyone…Grr

34. paulinasia said, on December 18, 2014 at 10:40 pm

I’m still trusting Sabes more on the trade front than the FA market this off-season. We shall see.

35. gianthead said, on December 19, 2014 at 5:57 am

Peavy our only SP deal? I had him pegged after the WS getting a Hudson like deal so voila he gets probably fair market value.

36. Chipower9 said, on December 19, 2014 at 6:26 am

Well, part of my wish/ranking came through…Peavy signs a 2 year 24 mil deal. I am down with that, but sure hope Sabes is still bird dogging Shields. Scherzer is NOT happening.

Even if they sign Shields, they still have coin to address the OF and possibly 3rd base. I expect some dumpster diving for one or both…it’s the Sabean way…

37. Chipower9 said, on December 19, 2014 at 6:39 am

And I am not tripping over what little activity has happened (Romo, Peavy, RH releiver with minor league invite, etc.

FA market or trade, I trust Sabes and crew to make the required moves to make the team competitive next year.

38. Bobeau said, on December 19, 2014 at 7:13 am

I still think we get another starting pitcher, but don’t have to be desperate. Hamels? Shields? And having a stronger feeling that the Giants will get Alan Craig for LF, and David Freese or maybe even a better player for 3rd. But if true, a bunch of our minor leaguers are gonna be on the road soon…

39. willedav said, on December 19, 2014 at 7:14 am

OK, here’s one–if SF were to acquire a hitter for LF like Marlon Byrd, would you include Blanco in any trade and leave Perez as 4th OF? He’s hit well last 2 years for Fresno, good OB with some pop too, more doubles than HRs and stole some bags. In other words nothing left to prove there except that maybe he’s a AAAA player.
    He’s only had 200 ABs at ml level, struggled with Mendoza line while going up/down a lot to AAA.
    Most of what I’ve seen he’s been very undisciplined hitter but a fine OF that can play CF, and did have a clutch hit in post season. With more ABs and being assured of being on the roster, could he improve and settle into capable back up for LF and CF?

Man, OKC and Dubs games always a treat to watch. Too bad Durant went down he was rolling but Dubs missing Bogut and Lee still and ultimately took them down. Both teams just have multiple guys that are fun to watch, continue to improve, and who can go off for big game at any time. Serge Ibaka one of my fav guys too.

40. Hargesheimer said, on December 19, 2014 at 7:23 am

Well, with Peevy back in the fold, all that remains is to re-sign Vogel and extend Timmeh, and Sabes will have cornered the market on declining starters.

• zumiee said, on December 19, 2014 at 7:39 am

Yet the Giants keep hoisting championship banners.
      Gotta be very frustrating for Dodger fans, eh?

• Chipower9 said, on December 19, 2014 at 8:48 am

Go fuck yourself.

41. Bozo said, on December 19, 2014 at 7:45 am

And now the Pads are adding the good Upton to their OF? Wow.

• gianthead said, on December 19, 2014 at 7:52 am

And does not sound like the Pads gave up that much to land Upton…

• zumiee said, on December 19, 2014 at 7:56 am

Maybe the Giants felt there were too many “red flags” with Upton. He doesn’t like playing at AT&T. Kirk Gibson put him on a train out of Arizona. Who knows?

• James said, on December 19, 2014 at 8:10 am

If they didn’t land him because of those “red flags,” it’s pathetic. I’m assuming that’s not the case. Just because you win through witchcraft crapshooting doesn’t mean that you make irrational business decisions moving forward.