Casey McGehee, Flap Lore, Scott McClain

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 20, 2014

Wow. I declare December 19th, 2014 to be the most active December 19th The Flap has ever seen. A lot went down yesterday/last night. Let me try to re-cap.

1) The Giants got Casey McGehee. I’m all over this move. And the only way you aren’t all over this move too is if a) you were clamoring for Arias or Duvall to man third base next year or b) you have been championing the arrival of Kendry Flores and/or Luis Castillo to the big league level.

Since neither a nor b has occurred, ever, I trust that all of us are supportive of this pick up. True, CM doesn’t have a lot of power and his BABIP was high in the first half of last season contributing to an unsustainable batting average. He also has one too many e’s in his last name. But I’m moving past that or at least in process of doing so. ๐Ÿ™‚

According to fangraphs.com he had a 2.0 WAR in 2014 and that’s fine. The Panda had a 3.0 WAR. He also had a better batting average and OBP than Sandoval. I’m not trying to suggest I’d rather have McGehee > Panda. But that food truck has left the yard. He’s a local kid who worked his ass off to get back to the big leagues (spent a year in Japan) and considering what our corner bag options were I will take Casey McGehee and appreciate Sabean for going 3 for 3 so far this off season (I support the Romo and Peavy deals, too).

2) Now, to the more interesting thread within last night’s thread. The manical brain of DJ Loo decided to go old school Flap triva on us and see if anyone recalled the blogger known as Cal_Stim25. That sent several of us into a dizzying journey deep into the annals of our foggy yesteryear. I actually didn’t try to google it because I thought he had posted on “Flap 1.0” which is the blogger.com blog I started. Everything from blogger.com is dead/not accessible. Apparently James found some posts from him in 2010 which means he did post on this blog, or Flap 2.0. You can access any post made at this blog by clicking on the “Archives” to the right. You can also do it by punching the correct words into google. If you use the “search” feature to the right you can only search words used in main threads that I (or a stable boy) have written…..

The clues given by Loo were fantastic and the guesses from the Flappers *playing* were impressive. In the end, James won a prize that, fittingly, doesn’t exist yet. But fear not James, Loo is as legit as anyone when it comes to delivering gifts….

3) Regarding the Scott McClain bat that Twin gave me 5 or 6 years ago. I have been trying to coordinate with Snarkk for about a year to give him the bat because I know he would think it’s cool and I’ve enjoyed it long enough. We’ve come close a couple of times but it hasn’t happened yet. I tried finding a package to send it to him. Every time I walk into a UPS or a Western Union I look around casually for one. I have never found one. Giving it to him in person has been tough as we’ve most recently only gone to Giants games together and, shockingly, you aren’t allowed to bring a bat into a baseball game at AT&T Park. lqtm.

Currently the bat is in my office at work and I would say at least 75% of the people who enter pick the bat up and either explore it if it’s the first time they’ve seen it or hold on to it while we talk. It’s morphed into the center piece of my office. I usually keep it propped up against a wall or it just gets left on the couch. But I will pass it on to Snarkk when the right time presents itself.

Whew. Long thread (for December). Long re-cap (but fitting). Very cool December 19th, 2014 for us and probably no one else in the world.

Cal_Stim25, whatever keg party you are at today, we salute you…..

1. pawliekokonuts said, on December 20, 2014 at 6:45 am

Some day, maybe today, social scientists or anthropologists or international art curators can study the Flap to explore the nature of social discourse: how one thing leads to another, how things, people, notions connect. I wonder if Hans Ulrich Obrist (H.U.O.) is reading this.

2. pawliekokonuts said, on December 20, 2014 at 6:49 am

p.s. We discovered, or rediscovered, that Jeremy Affeldt was the loser of the first MLB game MadBum pitched in, and the winner of the latest.

3. Nipper said, on December 20, 2014 at 7:12 am

EEXCILENT!

4. paulinasia said, on December 20, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thanks for answering my question about the bat, Craig, I truly was wondering about it, considering the interesting back and forth posts way back when…. ๐Ÿ™‚ As for McGeheeeeee, yeah, why not, 3rd is now settled, hopefully he will make China Basin a happy home for himself. And for chrissakes, Sabean got him for NOTHING. I’ve loved most of Sabes’ trades over the years, more than the FA signings. Would love to see McGehee’s 2015 year-end stats be better than Pablo, Headley, et al…. Next, Shields or a trade for a pitcher, and a LFer as well? San Diego just got way better, LA will still be tough. How will the West be won….

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2014 at 7:32 am

And not that I give them much street cred, but Marlin fans are incensed by this deal. They loved the guy and feel like they got nothing for him– they’re correct about that

5. willedav said, on December 20, 2014 at 7:38 am

Wow, what a fun read catching up with last night. I had no idea even after couple clues from Loo.
    Pickled Gringo, what a mother for ya that guy was.
    Wasn’t there an Ed Goodson guy that did really good posts? Was that Midwest Ed?

Gotta admit I’d be sad to see Harbaugh go. I don’t buy anything Killion says, none of it. When things go well vs. things go wrong there are multiple reasons and questions to be asked of everyone. With all the position coaches and co-ordinators I think most players don’t even talk to the HC. And with all the endless meetings during the week, none of which involve reporters, I don’t think media can have any real pulse on what goes on, just what they hear from those that spout off.

Even the best QBs and coaches run into bad stretches, SB winners like Eli, Peyton, Brady and Brees plus lesser lights like Rodgers, Romo,
    Rivers, Stafford, et al. And the reason is all other teams are out to come up with a plan to take away what they like to do with what they have. Most coaches have a fall back plan they believe in and rely on–when it doesn’t work they are forced to adjust. None of these guys nor their coaches (Belichick conferences?) handle losing or disappointment well. How much credit do you give to Niners D to Harbaugh/vs. blame for the O?

Is Harbs a people person? No, not at all. Can he build winners? Yes, without question. Does he have a limited shelf life with others, including media and FO? Very likely.

6. paulinasia said, on December 20, 2014 at 7:51 am

I’m sort of struck by something in this off-season, noticing it more than I have in others past, maybe because of 3 in 5… I alluded to this a bit before, and it continues with some of these more recent FA signings: Lester talks about bringing winning to the Cubs, then Headley talks about bringing a championship to NY, and now Rollins says he’ll be “the glue” that holds the Dogs together…. Hah. Can you imagine McGehee, or Shields or even Scherzer, saying something like that upon coming to the Giants? Nope….

7. willedav said, on December 20, 2014 at 7:55 am

Couple other insightful recent posts from Loo, re: Marlins hardest org to figure out and “converted to James-ism.”
    Not surprised James figured out mystery guy, he’s a great guy to talk to, just like all the other flap guys I’ve met–SanDawg, Ewisco, Ted, Snarkk, Blade and the Big Flav himself, who is remarkably calm composed and even tempered in person as befitting a moderator of the blog…saran wrap threats notwithstanding.

If a team ever does wind up playing in Havana even just for preseason exhibitions, it will be interesting to see how Miami Cubanos react to that. They made life very difficult for the famous band Los Van Van to play there many years ago, and I doubt they’d be much disposed to see revenue flow to anything related to Castro regime.
    Sad situation all around and I would only hope life would get better for the people and ballplayers there once relations become normalized.

• James said, on December 20, 2014 at 9:11 am

You need to make it to the next Flap get together, WillieD!

8. Bozo said, on December 20, 2014 at 7:59 am

I wanted him when I thought he was a FA and some OFers were still around, now I’m just eh and happy Arias won’t be starting at Third. If the NL Comeback Player is still motivated by being back in the States then he’ll probably be OK, but lately I’m a bit worried about this becoming a Russ “Roos” Davis situation. I hope the Giants aren’t done making moves and I sure hope Belt stays healthy this year, because at the moment this is looking like an even year to me.

9. gianthead said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:22 am

Signing McGehee is like the last parts of a major dump you just took in a toilet. Best of what is left but never satisfying.

Looks he is not much more than a singles hitter now and he is likely hitting 8th? So he will pitched around and pitched around trying to get to the pitcher and then he will clog up the base paths. But I agree it was probably the best available options.

Here is my next prediction, by August 1 he won’t be starting 3B for our Giants…

10. DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:36 am

The Peavy signing tells me that they fully intend to keep Petit where he’s excelled- long relief in non-lost cause games. A mop-up guy who comes in before the mess gets out of control. He might set a record for IP in relief with Jake and the 2 Tims in the rotation. I’m sure Mike Marshall holds it from his insane Cy Young season of 1974 in LA. If you’re not familiar with it you’re head might explode:

• James said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:43 am

The man who introduced the word “kinesiology” to the sporting public.

11. SanDawg said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:44 am

Last night was a hoot. It fun to interact with you guys again. This coaching basketball bit puts a serious dent in my Flap time. Plus, I gotta say the 3 in 5 is a bit of an adjustment for me. I’ve always relished my role of being a fan of my underdog sports teams (SFG, Sactown Kings, SDSU, KC Chiefs) and it is weird having one of my teams in the “Dynasty” conversation. I tend to lean on the Blog to help me through the down times rather than to celebrate the good ones.
    Anyhoo, I’m totally down with McGehee. The CalStim thing was interesting because THE actual post tipping us off that Bum was getting brought up actually occurred on Flap 1.0 and I believe is gone for good. But, he did post on Flap 2.0 and James was able to track his handle down using the clues. It was excellent work by both Loo and James.

• James said, on December 20, 2014 at 9:06 am

The Chris Dominguez HR seemed to punctuate the end of the 2014 season.

12. Macdog said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:50 am

With the trade for Casey McGehee, the Giants now have three NL Comeback Player of the Year winners: Tim Hudson (2010) and Buster Posey (2012).

Man, I’m bummed at missing all the fun surrounding Loo’s trivia question.

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

How about Cain for #4 in 2015?
      That would be nice.

13. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

Ahhh those old posts EdGoodsoninExile. Ran into him on om other blog last year, Weird finding a long lost efriend,

So, there was Swickman, Stickman,and Stixwiz? All the same?

• SanDawg said, on December 20, 2014 at 9:21 am

Greetings Chuck! Stickman and Stixwiz are the same guy, but Swickman was a different guy, who may or may have lived down here in San Dog and hit a homer off David Wells in a softball game at the Ocean Beach Rec Center.
      I’m used to it now, but when I first came to San Diego in the 80’s I thought “Ocean Beach” was a ridiculous name for a beach. I mean, come on, every beach is an ocean beach. Can’t you come up with something a little more creative than that? Its like one of by brothers used to send his kids to “Mountain Camp” every year–somewhere near Placerville aka Hangtown as I recall. “Mountain Camp” is better than ‘Ocean Beach,” but not by much.

14. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 9:09 am

As I posted on Pav’s blog last night, we blog commenters are often like brats on Christmas morning- we only like what the other kids get- and so it went with Casey. Many of the same users who wanted McGehee when he was out there are incensed now that he’s here. Jon Lester- too old for a long contract and not a dominator- the Cubs sign him- and wah! Sabean asleep at the wheel again… we’ve all done it but it’s most practiced by the same folks who only desire the new tablet that Johnny got for Christmas…
    Now- that bat. Mr. Snarkk shares my fondness for the legendary Scott “Crash” McClain so I am delighted that Craig has decided to pass the bat on to Snarkk. Scott, BTW, is said to be a scout in Nippon Professional Baseball. Speaking of which, former Giants’ pitcher Ryan Sadowski is now an expert on Korean baseball with Global Sporting Integration.
    The 1st link is an article about Ryan and the video is mostly his report on Jung-Ho Kang

15. unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2014 at 9:11 am

That’s exactly why I don’t travel to many other blogs.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 9:25 am

Pav is good and Carl Steward is even better. And despite the usual suspect downers, it’s a pretty vibrant blog with a lot of comments. As a public blog, it’s quite different from here- can’t fucking curse..

16. zumiee said, on December 20, 2014 at 10:03 am

Russ Davis was mentioned….
    On my first trip to Safeco Field in Seattle, I saw the “glove sculpture” outside the ballpark, and my Seattle friend said “That’s the Russ Davis memorial statue.” Ha! Hole in the glove; I get it. ๐Ÿ™‚

17. snarkk said, on December 20, 2014 at 10:57 am

I’m going to have to come up with a shortism for McGehee. McE, Magee? Guy hits into a ton of DPs. Oh well, I said early on we could get by with a David Bell type, maybe this guy fits that bill. But, 4 dingers from 3rd? That’s really low, gotta have at least 10. If he’s hitting 5, Belt has to get his power on in 2015. Yes, BF and I have come close to exchanging the McClain bat on several occasions. The logistics are somewhat daunting, given a bat might be considered a deadly weapon if you just walk around the street with one. We’ll get it done at some point…

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 11:35 am

Based on his career numbers, 4 HRs might be the outlier. Your David Bell comp is apt- Funny, I said the same thing on Pav’s blog this morning. I think we’d all be happy with that for 2015.

• snarkk said, on December 20, 2014 at 11:48 am

Yep, if he does a 2002 David Bell imitation, we’d definitely be OK at 3rd…

• unca_chuck said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:24 pm

hee hee works for me.

• snarkk said, on December 20, 2014 at 3:55 pm

As long as he doesn’t play like pee pee or Pee-Wee Herman…

18. FanSince59 said, on December 20, 2014 at 11:14 am

McGehee is no Panda for sure.A third baseman w/o power is concerning especially one who hits into a boat load of Dps…And his hands just aren’t as soft as Pandas nor does he have Panda’s cannon,IMO…but he is a kid that is coming home and that may prove to be a huge motivator…let’s hope for a career year!…But we now need a huge bat in LF and Scherzer or Shields is must!

19. DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Well they won the West in ’71 with Dirty Al at 3rd going 5/57/.277
    Sounds about right for Hee-Haw (nickname suggestion, Snarkk)

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm

McGeeWhiz? No? OK, be that way..

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Not bad at all. I see a Flap poll coming…

20. salty said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I figure if McGehee doesn’t cut it as a starter, they could still try and upgrade at the Deadline. It’s NOT like he cost them a bundle or he’s signed for 3 yrs. If he doesn’t pan out, at 3.5m, he can be a solid RH bat off the bench.

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Following the comments last night was pretty funny. I was a relative newbie at The Splash when Flavor turned me on to the flap so I don’t know all the backstory. Is Cal_Stim25 the same guy that busted the “Suns out guns out” line? Or is that CalBear? Maybe I have them confused. That’s too bad about the blogspot page. It must have been a while ago but I went back and read some posts there at one time and there was some good back and forth that is now lost forever. So sad.

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Anyone think Cal-Stim25’s phone is blowing up?

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Looks like someone won the rights to the Korean league guy Kang but no one is claiming it. Blue jays, Dodgers, Mets, Orioles say it wasn’t them. Maybe the Giants won?

23. Macdog said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:35 pm

A couple of interesting Pav tweets:

“Bochy said he can picture McGehee anywhere from 4-5-6 in order. Mentioned Posey, Pence, Belt/McGehee possibility for heart of the order.”

“Sabean said Giants have not talked to Scherzer, don’t plan to talk to him.”

“Giants did not bid on Kang, the Korean shortstop.”

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Can’t question Bochy. Remember in 2011 he batted Fontenot third for 7 straight games. Won 6 of ’em.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Rowand went .294 BA .341 OBP .809 OPS in 201 ABs in the lead off spot in 2009.

• SanDawg said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I remember Dennis had a great line during that stretch where he punctuated his post with “this Eddie Gadell shit is getting old!”

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Really funny. Is he banned from here?

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:33 pm

He’s moved on from bashing Smith to bashing CK. Any port in a storm. It’s really unfair to Kap, he’s well tatted.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Kang- there’s a name ripe for a nickname. Beat me, tie me up, make me write bad checks,but I refuse to say “King Kang”.. oops.

24. SanDawg said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:23 pm

@ Dirt: When I was combing through old blog pages like a madman last night, I did run across the conversation surrounding “Suns Out-Guns Out.” I gave it a quick review as it seemed a bit funny, but I got the feeling Cal was not the one who originally posted the line, but instead was giving someone shit for saying it wrong or busting it out when the weather didn’t dictate it….or something like that. I could be totally wrong, but that was the vibe I got from a brief skim last night. Again, I had bigger game on my mind and didn’t give it much focus.

25. xoot said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:24 pm

On the splash nostalgia stuff, I hope the coughing LA Rooster, denizen of the polluted San Pedro airs, is enjoying UCLA v. Kentucky today. I sure am. Score at 1/2 time is 41-7. This rout may set a record and challenge the bums’ PS failure as a Schadenfreude source of enjoyment.

McGehee’s nickname should emerge as his season goes, shouldn’t it? Hope the cliches keyed on Casey and Mac don’t get much play.

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:31 pm

What sport?

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I was crazy about Sidney Wicks…

26. James said, on December 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm

If muh-GHEE converts 6 of those singles into HRs, he would have Panda numbers. Looking at the dreaded spray chart, you can see why he hit so few bombs. He pulled a shitload of groundballs to the left side, while a huge percentage of the LDs and FBs were to center and right.

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 2:11 pm

James: You’re in California, right?

• James said, on December 20, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Yep, live in the famed university town where Cal_Stim25 was apparently matriculating way back in 09-10.

27. El Capitan said, on December 20, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Wish Sabean and Evans would get their story straight.

28. stickman said, on December 20, 2014 at 2:54 pm

A major element in Sabean’s .600 genius may well be the fact that he looks for players who blend well into the clubhouse mix. Consider that GeeGolly is NoCal all the way from south of San Jose and does not seem to have any disturbing character traits. As Comeback Player of the Year he has a bit of a positive rep now. He also happens to be going into his walk year and like a lot of guys he may wanna stay close to home, friends, family and comfort zone. Look for a highly motivated player.

Starting Casey off in the heart of the order seems a severious stretch coming outta the gate. That should be something he needs to earn. Motivation again. A power bat in left would obviate any major temptations Bochy might have to start McG anywhere but batting in front of the pitcher. If he clocks a few as well as dukeing a bunch of doubles i could see him batting 6th or 7th as a reward for services rendered.

As a middling defender i could see BB15 subbing Arias or Duffy in the later innings if the team has a bit of a lead. A good team player would not mind. Again, my suspicion is that this is one major reason why Sabes pulled the trigger on this guy.

• xoot said, on December 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm

“and does not seem to have any disturbing character traits”
      As a Soquel HS grad and jock, I suspect McG was an east side surfer. If so, he’ll have traits that disturb some, but I’ll bet his team mates will be just fine with em.

• twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm

They’re looking for another left fielder, not “the” left fielder.
      And Duffy would have to prove that he can play third base even on a part time basis. His arm is iffy even at SS.
      Nice post though.

• DJLoo said, on December 20, 2014 at 4:36 pm

A healthy Pagan can make such a difference. You can’t afford to waste Pence’s RBI bat in the lead-off spot especially with Panda gone. I wouldn’t mind picking up either of the Padres outfield scraps (Venable/Denorfia) if they’re available cheap.

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2014 at 5:45 pm

100% totally agree. I’d take both of them.

29. twinfan1 said, on December 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm

A customer brought a prime rib roast so we’re eating early tonight. (yeah, I’m still working- 10 minutes per screw). Yorkshire Pudding and a salad- we’re good to go. Enjoy the rest of the day. Nice being with you for a couple days. Win, lose, or draw the Hot Stove League is a favorite time of year for me.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm

take care, Twin; sounds deelish

• Flavor said, on December 20, 2014 at 5:45 pm

hang in there, Twin. Good to see you today.

30. paulinasia said, on December 20, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I used to think Sabean spouted b.s. when asked by the media if anything was “in the works”, but now I pretty much believe most of what he says; it’s blunt, it’s not as cryptic as it seemed to me in the past, and it’s usually true. Absolutely fine Scherzer isn’t even on the radar screen, no way they were going to pay Boras that kind of coin. Shields still in it…. wonder what’s holding up an offer? Curious though that he’s saying now they have limited financial flexibility. They offered a shitload of money to Lester, and signing McGehee, Peavy, and Romo did not use up all that much. Still hoping Shields is possible, or a trade for a front-line starter that surprises everyone. Still also hoping a trade will bring another OFer (Byrd? one of the Padres guys?). Since Sabes gave up literally nothing for McGehee, he’s still got some trading chips that would not be disastrous to lose. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Flappers…

• sfsarge said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I think the limited financial flexibility is coming from ownership saying that they would be willing to pony up for these couple of guys. Now that they have signed elsewhere, they weren’t willing to spend that money on lower tier players for the sake of spending money.

• paulinasia said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Yeah, and I agree of course that they shouldn’t be spending money just to do *something*. But I think they still do need to do something else. Other than adding McGehee out of necessity, they’re “standing pat” so far, which usually doesn’t seem to work for repeating a championship, especially when the NL West apparently has gotten tougher. Funnily enough, I’d be fine with LF evolving into what it evolved into this past year, if that’s what happens due to injuries, etc., but I’m not super comfortable with it as “the plan”. We’ll see. I don’t think Sabes is done yet.

31. Flavor said, on December 20, 2014 at 8:28 pm

in a lost season, what a great pic

• zumiee said, on December 20, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Yeah, that does sum up their season pretty well.

32. zumiee said, on December 20, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Frankly, I can’t remember when I cared less about a Niner season. The basking in 3-in-5 SF Giants glory just made the Niners’ tribulations this season seem really distant to me.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 21, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I feel the same, while freely admitting I am a bandwagon 49ers fan in many respects.

33. sportdude said, on December 20, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Niners loss was well deserved. We can’t call good plays, manage the clock worse than a pop warner team. Yes the 9 year olds we coached could get a play off in time. Can you imagine Walsh and Montana leading the NFL in timeouts burned to save a delay penalty. Did it twice tonight. I guessing they might have helped as we marched to SD territory late. Kapernick waltzing out of bounds and giving SD a free timeout was maybe the dumbest play i have ever seen.

34. willedav said, on December 21, 2014 at 7:44 am

Loo, Sidney wicks was awesome, badass defender and rebounder; much more skilled than Curtis Rowe as their NBA careers showed. UCLA always had tough point guards too to orchestrate the offense.
    Right next to me as I’m typing this is my hardback copy of “Practical Modern B-Ball” with all Wooden’s offensive sets in it, which have a lot of detail and options explained. I still like to run a bastardized version of his 2-2-1 zone press that our coach ran during late 60s high school days.

• DJLoo said, on December 21, 2014 at 8:23 am

You never disappoint, willedav. I knew when I mentioned Wicks that you would definitely have a recollection to add. He actually had a better pro career than I remembered.

• willedav said, on December 21, 2014 at 9:35 am

Portland had way cool road unis and warmups too in Wicks’ days, black with the red solid line that ran from shoulder across body to the waist.
        Was never a gear guy with showoff sweats, but those were cool. Spurs too my cousin had the solid black with thin gray and white line down the side and the diamond shaped logo on the hip.

35. willedav said, on December 21, 2014 at 7:54 am

Watched a HS game with friends last night and then had dinner with parents of a kid I coached who is now varsity assistant. Niners game purely an afterthought, and sure enough they gave it away.

Today’s Chron has small feature and interview (plus small pic) of my main man Purvis Short. He talks of all the scorers Dubs had early 80s, Bernard King World B Free JB Carroll and all the good small forwards he played against. Also credits Pete Newell, another great teacher of game, as genius who helped him with footwork, a part of the game largely under taught these days.

36. Alleykat said, on December 21, 2014 at 9:38 am

Shields asking 5/110 , Giants, Red Sox’s, Yanks still putting chips on the table.
    Lot of scratch for a 33 year old pitcher, has been durable though, if you get the contract backloaded,take the majority of the hit at the end, more feasible IMO.

37. Bozo said, on December 21, 2014 at 9:39 am

After watching the Niner game, I was reminded of that old question “When do pitchers and catchers report?”

38. Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 9:56 am

no new thread today so fire up your best comments with no fear of them getting left on “the last thread”

39. ewisco said, on December 21, 2014 at 10:36 am

i’m not a Kap fan so maybe my view is skewed. It’s obvious that the 9ers aren’t doing much in the way of second half adjustments. Is it really roman or is it that Kap can’t handle the change so they have to stick with what they setup? I don’t really remember the AS days but it seemed like no one was talking about the lack of adjustments and the vernon post against the Saints was clearly something they had in their back pocket. Also aldon smith has been useless unless he’s taking on two blockers and i’m missing it.

i like the mcgiggles (i have no idea how to spell his name and am not going to take the time to look it up) pick up, but not sure i bat him that high. belt seemed to thrive in the three hole and though you could use him to go SLRLR by hitting posey third i think i’d like to see

Pagan
    Panik
    Belt
    Posey
    Pence
    Mcgiggles
    LF
    Craw

It’s not a great spot for the craw but he’s shown he can handle it and turn the lineup over.

Dubs a treat but they need to watch Bogut’s minutes and stef as well. that’s a BAD ankle (Stef) no matter how many pins they put in it. Follow Pop’s strategy and rest them regularly. But if they can get into the PS healthy they are going to be FUN to watch. I haven’t paid attention to the NBA in years but i’ve been peaking at the dubs for the last couple and the more i’ve seen, the more i want to see. I think Kerr is the missing ingredient.

sharks? meh.

Happy holidays.

e.

• DJLoo said, on December 21, 2014 at 10:52 am

“Mcgiggles” made me giggle.

• ewisco said, on December 21, 2014 at 11:10 am

well i think i got the first three letters right.

• zumiee said, on December 21, 2014 at 2:22 pm

The nickname contest is over, IMO. He’s Mcgiggles.

• snarkk said, on December 21, 2014 at 2:47 pm

As long as he produces, McGiggles is cool.
        If he suxx, that won’t last long…

40. FanSince59 said, on December 21, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I think the Giant’s should go after Hamels instead of Shields…Imagine Madbum, Cain and Hamels as the top three!….and then Hudson/Peavy/Lincecum to follow, depending on injury, who’s hot, mechanics etc and of course we cannot forget Petit!!!..if we are lucky enough to get Hamels then we have a chance against the Dodgers and Padres….I think the Padres are going to be really tough….their rotation last year was very impressive and now with their new position players they will be a force to be reckoned with.

• DJLoo said, on December 21, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Would you trade Belt and Duffy for Hamels and Ryan Howard if the Phils would eat some salary?

• FanSince59 said, on December 21, 2014 at 6:26 pm

That’s a tough one…but probably…I would rather throw in a top minor league pitcher since the Giants have several to choose from and see if they would bite on Duffy and one or two minor league pitchers…

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 6:46 pm

41. wilcojoe said, on December 21, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Good article in today’s Houston Chronicle about what the Padres and others are doing. Pretty impressive moves, but quite risky as well. A lot of the guys that have been traded this offseason are in their walk years. So, teams are risking future success by banking on immediate results. The Dodgers trading of Kemp and Gordon is similar to the year Boston unloaded their stars and then went on to win a World Series the next year. The Padres and Dodgers have taken nearly opposite approaches, so you have to bet that one of them will come out on top. There are still a lot of free agent options out there and trades to be made. I still think we overpaid for Peavy with guys like Shields and ScherZer still out there, so I hope that doesn’t come back to bite us in the ass. Still I like the waiting game that Sabean is playing.

• DJLoo said, on December 21, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Definitely overpaid Peavy, while Bum clips coupons….

42. Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm

We overpaid for Peavy in once sense but I don’t see the Giants spending what they would need to in order to get Shields or Scherzer (who Sabean says they aren’t even talking to). \
    So if you assume they won’t get either of those guys than Peavy, even overpaid, becomes useful and almost necessary……

43. salty said, on December 21, 2014 at 5:15 pm

He was a longshot anyway but forget Hamel’s. Phillies want OF prospects.

• Alleykat said, on December 21, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Yeah that would leave us out Salty, since we have no outfield prospects ever coming up in our farm system.

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm

He’s 33 and he’s really nothing more than an above average innings eater. FUCK giving him 110 million. I will be so bummed if the Giants do this but I know (hope) they won’t.

44. Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I bet Cal_Stim25 got so fucking hammered this weekend…..

45. Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm

never heard the radio call on this one. Cool.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 21, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I can’t remember; I may’ve heard this. Still sweet. We had some big moments, didn’t we? I read today that the Giants are the first team to win 12 postseason games.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 21, 2014 at 7:02 pm

18th inning, yeah, but where are the fans?

46. Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 7:04 pm

I know you guys have seen this but I’m deep into youtube right now and I love this video. I love this team. Bee-Wheezy actually looks normal. ๐Ÿ™‚ And Timmy was a dominant beast.

47. paulinasia said, on December 21, 2014 at 7:53 pm

That’s one of my favs too, Craig, I’ve watched that one a bunch. Also all 27 outs of the Cain perfecto. I’ve still been hoping that someone (apparently not Ashkon, who’s busy these days) would make a music video about 2014, key moments of the season or the playoff series winners, etc. Damn, there’s gotta be something someone could do with the 3 in 5, like, using the 3-fingered salute from Hunger Games and then turning it into 5…. Well, a slow day as we await the next signing. ๐Ÿ™‚ Christmas week already here in Saigon, festivities have begun. Hope it’s a grand time for Flappers in Flap U everywhere….

48. Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 7:57 pm

new thread. One of the best vids I’ve ever seen on YT

49. wilcojoe said, on December 21, 2014 at 8:05 pm

That’s awesome. Going back and watching that is like seeing old pictures of your first love. I know I have gone back to see pictures of her. Not that I want to be with her or that I miss her, because I wouldn’t trade the present for the past, but to remember those feelings of what it was like to fall in love for the first time. It is the memories of the past that keeps us motivated for the future.

• Flavor said, on December 21, 2014 at 8:23 pm

post this on the new thread. And I agree with everything you said.