Greatness, Realized…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 23, 2014

I’m ripping this off from the Merc but I think it’s too good to go unnoticed here if there are some Flappers who don’t read the Merc. They did a story on Jake Peavy, who bought a freaking real life cable car for his home in Alabama, and he disclosed this moment between him and Bum before Game 7:

“What Madison did (in Game 7), we’ve heard it time and time again, but I don’t even really have words to describe what he did in that stage and the moment he was in,” Peavy said. “I recall being in the outfield with Madison and talking about Jon Lester and him just wanting to be great. You’ve got to want to be great. You’ve got to have talent and ability but you’ve got to want to be great, and Madison has that.”

Peavy realized that when he was in the outfield with Bumgarner before Game 7.

“I guess I can probably say this now with it not sounding cocky or arrogant for Madison,” Peavy said. “I was sitting in the outfield with Madison and he was asking me how I thought the game was going to play out and he said, ‘If Huddy can get the ball to me, I can get it to Romo.’ I said to him, I said, ‘Madison, when you get the ball you’re not coming out of the game, pal. You’re the best guy we’ve got.’ And he goes, ‘Man, that’s exactly what I hoped you would say.’

“That’s exactly what he wanted. He just needed some confirmation and someone to believe in him as well. I told him: ‘You fight, big man. I think America would want to see you fight.’ What he did, it’s going to go down as the best ever.”

_______________________

Just wild, awesome stuff. I’m so thankful for Peavy, Bumgarner, all of them. Our team is at the top once again and the haters can only stare at the ground, muttering to themselves, locked into a slow burn….

1. unca_chuck said, on December 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Confident but humble about it. That’s the difference between Bummie and about 90% of the rest of the athletes out there.

2. sfsarge said, on December 23, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I still get chills when I try to wrap my brain around the magnitude of the events that took place on that cool October night. The performance that we witnessed by Madison Bumgarner can only be described as the stuff of legend. For many years into the future when we fondly look back on what transpired, there will be the tendency to romanticize what happened through rose colored lenses that only get rosier with time. In many cases, when we do this we tend to forget about the bad that came with the good. In this case, the pitching by every other starter ranged from mediocre to putrid and only helps to embellish the legend of our MadBum. No rose colored glasses are necessary here friends. This can only go down as one of the greatest, if not, the greatest post season pitching performance that has ever been performed.

• Flavor said, on December 23, 2014 at 5:24 pm

21 innings. 1 ER. 1BB. 17K.
      I mean….WUT?

• sfsarge said, on December 23, 2014 at 5:30 pm

See, exactly…I don’t like to look up stats because numbers are not my thing. But you can’t argue with those.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 23, 2014 at 6:22 pm

I love this take.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on December 23, 2014 at 6:22 pm

You know, I get chills or tears watching WS or other Giants videos, as do many of you. Fine. Not unusual. But I got chills READING that story. I’m not a coach or a professsional motivator, but, whew, boys and girls. you want a motivational story? There it is. Thanks for posting it. Otherwise, I would not have seen it.

4. denniszud said, on December 23, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Though I had rarely posted, I have always enjoyed reading the friendship here and how it also adds to the game.
    As my friend Paulie has mentioned to you, I had some bittersweet emotions during and after the ’14 post-season. My wife Ree of 44 years (the Yankee fan) and I watched the post-season; and as the Giants pulled every rabbit out of the hat, I secretly was hoping and praying that she would do as well with her illness.
    Unfortunately, the flip side of this record wasn’t successful as she struck out with leukemia within 15 days of the last game.
    Distractions during these times for me is very important; and as the new year approaches, it is wonderful that reading posts like this, helps me a bit to try to turn over a new leaf in thought. Feeling confident that the Giants will give me a major distraction in ’15……… well that puts a smile on my face.

You can’t buy love and you can’t buy chemistry…. This team has got it both ways in its genes…
    Thanks

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Hey, Dennis. Good to see you here, friend.

• Flavor said, on December 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Dennis— I’m at a loss for words after reading this post. You have always had and you will always have the support of this blog and those who frequent it. You’ll see what I mean when your post gets read. My heart is with you now and going forward. Hang in there and stay in touch–Craig

• stickman said, on December 23, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Dennis: All the best. Hang with the Flap. We’re here for you.

• twinfan1 said, on December 23, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Stick ain’t kidding, Dennis- I’ve fought two cancers for years and these guys have been with me all the way. I sincerely believe that their support helped me make it. Flavor has led the way but everyone here has been there for me. I’ll never forget it.
        My condolences on the loss of your dear wife.

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2014 at 10:06 pm

dennis, you’re welcome here, in spades, as Oracle (Twin) says.
      I’ve met a good number of these Flappers in person, they’re as real fans as you can imagine from reading their posts here — and more importantly, real men. Good people. I wish you good comfort as best as you can find it in this difficult time…

• wilcojoe said, on December 24, 2014 at 8:39 am

Our thoughts are with you Denniszud! I still remember my Grandmother telling me stories after my Grandfather passed about how she would dream of falling asleep and then being awakened by a tap on her shoulder. That is what he would do after every Giants night game, which they would sit and listen to on his transistor radio. Each one sitting in their own chair. Grandma never paid any attention to the games, but would usually sit and knit and eventually dose off. Grandpa would tap her on the shoulder when the game ended, and off to bed they went…Years after his death, when she would fall asleep in her chair, she would nod off and later awaken, swearing that she felt his tap…Your post reminded me of that. Merry Christmas!

5. FanSince59 said, on December 23, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Changing the subject a bit from Peavey…I get it that Casey McGehee is not the best third baseman ever and for that matter is considered a downgrade from Pablo…my question to all of you is this…If Casey McGehee is a short term “filler” for third, as has been said by many over the last few days, then who is in the Giant’s minors that are two or three years away that is considered the “third baseman” of the future?…If there is no one that can be identified, is there a sleeper like Panik in the wings that Sabean and others are missing? (Sabean thought at one time that the Giants would have to go outside the organization to get a second baseman once Scutaro was through, but Panik surprised eveyone!)

6. pawliekokonuts said, on December 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm

I started (did not finish) the 19:08 2014 recap video on the previous thread. I just love the swagger of Brandon Belt dropping his bat in the 18th inning. Classic. He knew it. There. Take that. Let’s end this thing. And you just CANNOT understimate the importance of Yusmeiro Petit in the postseason. Talk about underpaid! Without him, the Giants are playing golf or eating chips on the couch.

• twinfan1 said, on December 23, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Belt has the most majestic HR trot of anybody I remember. And like you I love his bat drop. Confident yet respectful. I think we can forget about that body language deal now…
      Petit- he has his rocky outings but my goodness-nobody is as on as he is when he’s dealing- those 6 innings in the marathon game were as good as it gets. Every batter in those 6 innings was a potential walk off. Yusmeiro paints corners like Van Gogh did wheat fields.

7. twinfan1 said, on December 23, 2014 at 8:24 pm

First-Kickham. Mustn’t forget: he’s a lefty and he’s breathing. He’ll find work in the bigs.
    McGehee: low risk, low pay- I mentioned David Bell as a comp- we probably won’t get Bell’s 20 HRs in 2002 but career they’re real close- I’ll take it
    Peavy- if Cain comes back, we have a solid 3 in Jake. Hudson should be fine if they watch his load early. Timmy is the ?
    Scutaro- I didn’t like the 4 year deal but like all the championship players, he’s a hero here forever. Probably more than most. .362? Where the hell did that come from?
    Vogey- don’t know if there’s room for him, but he’s been a revelation here- it’s a shame that he may be the least respected big time pitcher in the bigs. His 2012 postseason was simply huge. And then there’s Nicole…
    Finally- great posts from denniszud and FanSince59..

8. stickman said, on December 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Flav: Thanx for this thread. You just keep coming up with classics. This one was a topper. Merry Christmas to you and to the whole gang right across this great, green globe.

9. Lurker John said, on December 23, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Great thread, Flavor. I’m with you. This whole 3 in 5 thing pops up in my head every now and then and I jut feel this amazement and gratitude for what the Giants have done as a franchise and as a team. I think as we move away from the game 7 win, Bum’s achievement is going to gain more and more luster, as things in history do sometimes with the benefit of distance and clarity. What he did was historical and there’s no better complement than that.

Merry Christmas, Flappers!

10. unca_chuck said, on December 23, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Dennis, very very sorry to hear of your loss. Most of the thrill of these crazy games is being able to enjoy it with family. And friends. Losing someone that close must devastating. But know you have a bunch of shoulders to lean on here, if only virtually.

11. Alleykat said, on December 24, 2014 at 7:42 am

Dennis,
    My deepest condolences for you with the loss of your wife.
    This last year both my parents passed within 3 months of each other and the pain is still with me everyday.
    But like Michael mentioned, their are a lot of really caring hearts on the Flap and just know we are hear for you in our thoughts..

12. Raymond said, on December 24, 2014 at 7:53 am

Thanks for posting Craig! Love it! And I missed it in the Merc. Been running around pre-xmas, crazy tired…Love what our boys did and loving all the attention MadBum is getting. Happy Holidays Gentlemen!

13. willedav said, on December 24, 2014 at 8:05 am

FanSince 59 post from last night is legit concern.
    Casey Mac had his best season since 2 good years with Brewers 2009 and 10. That best represents a .712 OPS/99 OPS plus, which is right around Blanco Panik Crawford territory. So you are taking a middle order bat out of the LU, actually 2 of them btw Sandoval and Morse, and replacing them with a 7-8 hitter, like Blanco would be if he started.

So you have to wonder what is Plan B if this guy craters and is unable to match last year numbers.

I just don’t have good feeling about a guy mentioned years ago as a good pickup…lot of talk here years ago about Dan Uggla too when he played with Ross on the Marlins and used to blast HRs out of ATT every time he came in. Last year he was so done you couldn’t even stick a fork in him.
    There’s been too many Fontenots, deRosas, Keppingers, Tejadas, Orlando Cabreras, Bill Halls yada yada when Sabes goes dumpster diving for IF. Are Duffy and Arias the fall back?

Dennis, a good friend of mine lost her Mom month ago and still feels it. She is quite busy at work which helps and also being around friends, but still gets down. Post here more often if it helps gets your mind onto sunnier thoughts, this is nice place to be.

14. willedav said, on December 24, 2014 at 8:17 am

And btw Mr. SanDawg, I gotta find out more of why you “detest” the Warriors, a team that hasn’t won anything in 40 years and has been about as relevant to playoffs as the Raiders recently. They have had more characters and total busts (Todd fuller as #1 pick?) among draft choices than decent players, and when they do get them they wind up going sideways and out of the org altogether, like Webber Sprewell or Monta.
    It’s been a long time since fanbase has had a team this caliber to watch.
    Anyway, Happy Holidays to all, and bask on.

15. Flavor said, on December 24, 2014 at 8:36 am