Ringing In Another Year

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 31, 2014

Got a lot to do today as I get ready for Pitbull’s New Year’s Revolution. With another year in the books, another championship year, it’s time to say goodbye to 2014 and welcome 2015…..

49 days till pitchers and catchers report. FYI: That’s also the same number of wins Jim Harbaugh had in SF.

Today is the 47 year anniversary of the Ice Bowl.

And that’s all I’ve got. And in case you missed the joke, I’m not really getting ready for Pitbull’s New Year’s Revolution. I think Pitbull’s an idiot.

How ever you choose to ring in the new year, enjoy yourself and don’t forget to take a moment to toast *3in5*—a reign that we might never seen again……

Now, I need to get back to scouring the internet for the next 2 weeks of BBOTD’s…. Muhuhuhahahaha!!!!!!!!

1. stickman said, on December 31, 2014 at 9:08 am

Not to make an outsized flap about it, Flav, but Happy New Year to you and to all the Flappers who have made for such a Giants community. It’s actually ABOVE ZERO here in the Minnesota Northwoods today after yesterday’s HIGH of five below. Going to a party tonight 20 miles from here and delighted that it will stay above zero tonight and for the next couple days ~ then back to the deepfreeze. But i’m still basking, even in the cold. Three in Five, Baby. Dynasty.

2. Chipower9 said, on December 31, 2014 at 9:19 am

Posted something to this effect last thread, but will post again on the New Year thread. As Stix said, this is a special community. The BEST collection of NY/SF Giant fans EVER! Blessed to be a part of this family. Thank you again Flavor from the bottom of my heart.

Wishing Flap Universe the absolute best of health, happiness, and good fortune in 2015!

THREE in FIVE! Continuing to bask my ass off until there’s no ass to bask. Be well, Flappers…and make it a safe New Year celebration in whatever you do.

3. Chipower9 said, on December 31, 2014 at 9:20 am

Cringing at the thought of what your devious mind comes up with for the BBOTD, Flav. Be nice and give us some eye candy, as you know all the Flappers have been good this year. πŸ˜‰

• Flavor said, on December 31, 2014 at 10:29 am

As Dirt surmised, I’ll probably finish the year strong. Starting in January tho, all bets are off πŸ™‚

• Chipower9 said, on December 31, 2014 at 10:39 am

You dirty dog (said with the utmost respect and brotherly love). Happy New Year, Flavor!

4. Macdog said, on December 31, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Phils are trading Marlon Byrd to the Reds.

• stickman said, on December 31, 2014 at 3:42 pm

With Byrd heading to the Reds and Asdrubal Cabrera now a Ray, the Giants may be breathing heavy to land Zobrist.

5. Bozo said, on December 31, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Hope y’all have a safe and sane new year.
    Cheers.

6. unca_chuck said, on December 31, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Happy new year one and all!

Keep it safe and sage.

7. unca_chuck said, on December 31, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Or sane as the case may be..

8. Alleykat said, on December 31, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Happy New Years Flappers!!πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠ
    Or as Ferret use to say “Woo Hoo”

9. pawliekokonuts said, on December 31, 2014 at 4:54 pm

HNY, you knuckleheads.

10. zumiee said, on December 31, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Like the Buddy Holly song says: “Everyday, it’s a-gettin’ closer,” in this case….Spring Training!
    Happy New Year, Flappers!

I was reading a recent copy of the magazine Baseball America yesterday, and there was a little feature on the Giants’ Steve Okert. Everything is so positive about this guy, so far. A lefty reliever with a fastball in the mid-90s, a slider that has good break on it, and he’s working on a change-up. I saw him a little bit in the televised Arizona league games on the MLB Network, and his slider was pretty nasty. He ended last season at AA, so could he make the jump to the bigs this year? Probably not, from a sheer numbers standpoint. If we’re looking at 7 relievers, then we start with the Core 4, Affeldt, Lopez, Romo, and Casilla, Add in super-sub Petit, and a mostly-reliable Machi, and then we’re looking at one more spot available. I’m guessing Strickland has the inside track on that spot. If he can show some growth during Spring Training, he should have it locked up. And that leaves Okert probably in AAA when the season starts. And maybe he becomes a trade chip for a mid-season acquisition. Beltre? Cueto? Who knows? Or, Okert beats out Strickland for that last spot, at some point, and Strickland can work on his game at AAA. But how many lefties does a team need in the bullpen? The Giants have done well with just two, usually, if I’m remembering correctly. Maybe Okert becomes Lopez’s replacement in ’16, or something like that. If Affeldt has a strong ’15, the Giants will try to re-sign him. He’s so uniquely valuable. How about the way he came in early in the 7th game of the World Series, pitching two strong and crucial innings? I remember him doing something like that in the ’10 playoffs, against the Phillies, in the Sanchez melt-down game.

• zumiee said, on December 31, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Oops,I flubbed on Lopez. He’s signed for ’16. So Okert would have to look for a different opening in the bullpen.

11. snarkk said, on December 31, 2014 at 5:41 pm

HNY Flappers.
    From a Giants POV, I’m going to miss 2014. Onward, upward, be safe tonite…

12. zumiee said, on December 31, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Weird fact of the day: you might know that Ted Williams was frozen in liquid nitrogen after his death, and now his body hangs upside down in suspended animation in a facility in Arizona; but did you know his head was detached, and is frozen separately in that facility? It’s part of the voodoo “science” of cryonics, as Ted awaits some future generation, when scientists would somehow be able to reanimate him, like some kind of baseball Frankenstein. It’s arguable if Ted even agreed to this. For years he told people he wanted to be cremated when he died, and have his ashes spread in the water off the Florida Keys, one of his favorite fishing areas. But his son got caught up in the promise of cryonics, and coerced an ailing Williams to scrawl his approval on a piece of paper. Two years later, that son also died, and was frozen in liquid nitrogen also.
    The End.
    Or is it?????

13. eddacker said, on December 31, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Happy flap-ing to you. Best of 2015 on and off the diamond

14. Macdog said, on January 1, 2015 at 8:06 am

Happy New Year everyone!

15. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 8:18 am

MLB Network’s Top 50 Moments of the Year has MadBum pitching relief in Game 7, at #3; a walk-off Jeter-gasm in a meaningless regular season game, at #2, and Ishi’s walk-off Pennant-winner at #1. Lincecum’s no-hitter at #11, and Petit was somewhere in the Top 50 with his scoreless inning record.
    And Belt’s 18th-inning playoff HR was in there, too.

16. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 8:22 am

Somehow MLB Network left out Miguel Cabrera asking for the ball after he hit his 100th RBI of the season, one of the awesomely funny moments of the season, IMO.

17. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 8:28 am

More Ted Williams: I didn’t know Ted was half-Mexican, and was born in San Diego. As a youth, he became a sandlot legend in the area, the skinny kid who could hit the ball a long way.
    His mother was a full-time worker for the Salvation Army, and his father owned a not-very-successful photo studio. Ted wasn’t proud of being half-Mexican, and would tell people his mother was Basque, which wasn’t true.
    I’ve been reading Ben Bradlee’s biography of Ted, entitled “The Kid,” the nickname Ted preferred above all others that people gave him.
    Teddy Ballgame? Seriously? Who comes up with a lame nickname like that?

• DJLoo said, on January 1, 2015 at 9:16 am

He nickname he really wanted was “T-Bone”…

• SanDawg said, on January 1, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hey Loo, I’m intrigued by your post about the Bill Hands trade. I assume your take is the trade hurt mainly because Hands turned into a pretty good pitcher. Were Hands and Hundley considered top prospects? I had no idea Randy Hundley broke in with us.
        Please expand on your post and Happy New Year to All!

• DJLoo said, on January 1, 2015 at 11:43 am

Dawg, I have no idea how highly rated Hands and Hundley were but back then it seemed like the Giants never had a big time starter behind Marichal and Perry. McCormick’s ’67 Cy was a fluke – he was nothing special and ironically the 1967 season was Marichal’s only off-year during his prime (he tried to pitch through an injury and was done in late August), Hands could have filled that void for years. As far as Hundley, his stats don’t look as good as i remembered them but he was really solid and would have bridged the black hole that existed at catcher after they traded Tom Haller following the ’67 season and before Dietz busted out in ’70. Maybe I exaggerated a little, but I think it cost them a pennant or two (definitely ’69) which could have meant a WS or two as well.

• SanDawg said, on January 1, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Good stuff. Being the youngest in a family of Giants fans, I thought I had heard every story regarding the 60’s Giants and moves they could have made or not made in order to bring home the title. That was a new one for me, and it makes a lot of sense.

Fun Fact: my first game ever was a Giants game at the Stick in either 71 or 72 as far as I can guess. Not long after that, my dad and I went to an A’s game against the Yankees. I was 7 or 8 at the time and the A’s had that great roster at the time. Ironically, the only player I can consciously remember from that game was Lindy Fricking McDaniel. He pitched that day and I guess his name stuck in my mind for some reason.

• snarkk said, on January 1, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Williams was a prick, in many ways, on and especially off the field. But, he could hit.
      Giants had a guy like that fairly recently…

18. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 12:18 pm

In comparing Bumgarner’s 2014 awards to Kershaw’s, there’s a lot to like about Bum’s side of the comparison. Sure, Kershaw has the impressive accomplishment of Cy Young and season MVP; but Bumgarner has NLCS MVP, World Series MVP, World Series ring, Silver Slugger award, Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year, and the AP Male Athlete of the Year. Quite a haul. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• snarkk said, on January 1, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Kershaw’s checking account is quite a bit bigger. I wonder if Bum’s contract has an incentive payout for Sportsman of the Year and AP Male Athlete of the Year? Now, that would be something if it did…

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Bum’s World Series share this year is about $400,000. That’s a nice incentive payout. πŸ™‚

• Chipower9 said, on January 2, 2015 at 9:56 am

And don’t forget the Willie Mac Award for 2014.

19. ewisco said, on January 1, 2015 at 12:50 pm

merry new year!

20. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I’ve enjoyed seeing Stanford in the Rose Bowl in recent years, but today’s is also an intriguing match-up. I read an article recently (maybe in the SF Chronicle?) about all the money Phil Knight of Nike has poured into Oregon’s athletics over the years. Hundreds of millions of dollars for facilities. It’s kind of insane. But it’s worked, as far as helping Oregon become a national power in football. They haven’t won a national title yet, though.
    I’m pulling for Florida St. today.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on January 1, 2015 at 1:50 pm

My half-brother, who died in 2005, lived in Hernando, Florida; his widow still does. When I went down there just before my brother died, the Ted Williams Museum was closed that weekend. I believe it soon moved to Fenway. I think The Kid had lived in Hernando, which is obscure and unremarkable. Dan Valenti tells me he met the brother of the guiy who nicknamed Williams. It was a clubhouse guy.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on January 1, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I am at a Barnes & Noble store. For $9.98 (less with my loyalty card), I can get The Sports Illustrated Baseball Book — Updated. An inset photo of Lincecum on the cover. Looks like it came out mid-season 2010. Some stunning, sumptuous photos. Essay by Frank Deford et al. Coffee-table book? It’s almost as big as a coffee table.

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I was at a couple of cool bookstores in Santa Cruz recently, and got a few baseball books, mostly older baseball history, like a fairly recently published Hank Greenberg biography that I’ve been wanting to get.

23. DJLoo said, on January 1, 2015 at 3:01 pm

When I was in high school they made us read “Catcher In The Rye”.
    I still remember being disappointed when I realized it wasn’t about baseball.

• snarkk said, on January 1, 2015 at 3:50 pm

It’s about rye whiskey, right?…

24. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 3:07 pm

This looks like it could be a fun book. I’ve read some of Bacigalupi’s sci/fi. This book is geared towards younger readers:

25. El Cap said, on January 1, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Moncada Moncada Moncada…..GIants should go all out to get this guy. Pay up guys.

26. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 5:54 pm

You can’t defeat University of Nike if you have five turnovers.

27. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Baseball would never do it; but I read a thing by Bill James recently where he talked about scrapping the pitchers’ won/lost record completely. It makes me wonder why the pitcher W/L record was ever done in the first place. And what would the sport be like without it? It’s seems weird to think of it not being there after we’re so used to it. But, yeah, the sport didn’t HAVE to have it. And it’s an outmoded stat, for sure.
    But, it’s culturally such a part of baseball, that it will always be there. And money is involved. Winning 20 games is a big deal still. Or maybe I should say: “winning” 20 games.

• DJLoo said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Jim Bunning won exactly 19 games in 4 out of 5 years (1962-1966).
      Had he won 20 in those years he would’ve been a first ballot HOFer instead of a veterans committee selection.
      The statistical world is obsessed with round numbers.

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:31 pm

And there was a big argument about Don Sutton being an HOFer or not, because he won 20 in a season only once, even though his career number was high.
        I ended up liking Sutton because he had some critical things to say about Lasorda’s schtick, like how he didn’t like Lasorda’s whole “The big Dodger in the sky” schtick and all that.

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Sutton ended up becoming a good radio broadcaster. He does Braves games. I’ve heard him on satellite radio a few times.

28. zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:25 pm

And who amongst us doesn’t think it’s awesomely cool that Jean Machi has a 10-2 career record with the Giants?

29. unca_chuck said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:42 pm

I’m gonna have to check out the sports section of City Lights. Tryong to get back into reading, Kinda stopped for a while now,

• zumiee said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Awesome bookstore. I haven’t been there in a while, though, because I don’t get to that part of SF very often. I used to see concerts at Bimbo’s a while back.

• unca_chuck said, on January 1, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Just started working near there, Zume. Went in there for a quick purchase. Hadn;t been there in about 35 years.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:58 pm

In 2009 I bought poems by Lorca there. A book you would find nowhere else. That’s the beauty of that store.

• DJLoo said, on January 1, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Did you ever check out Strand’s, Pawlie? It’s not far from Finnerty’s.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 2, 2015 at 8:24 am

yeah, I was at the Strand about 87 years ago

30. snarkk said, on January 1, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Florida State would have lost 3 games were it in the Pac12 this season. The ACC is a lesser league, FSU was unbeaten this season winning lots of close games playing nobodies…

31. willedav said, on January 2, 2015 at 6:53 am

While some of the unis are stupid, I like Oregon’s style of play. It’s fun to watch and they can run the football without going smashmouth old school Nebraska. It will be interesting to see if the QBs of all the college teams that play hurry up/spread offenses can be successful at next level. Teams that can move the ball effectively in multiple ways just a bigger challenge to defend, as Alabama and Florida St found out last night

I think college rivalry stuff is cool, “2 teams that just don’t like each other.” It was neat to see Arkansas play Texas the other night just like they used to in old Southwest Conference. Other schools from that conference have done well elsewhere too—TCU and Baylor are really good, A & M won a bowl game without Manziel and even perennial doormat Rice Owls whipped Fresno State in a bowl game.

32. willedav said, on January 2, 2015 at 7:05 am

True story: Last year I coached High School our gym was being redone in summer but there was some kind of issue with new roll up bleachers that weren’t right so we wound up unable to use main gym at all entire season, for practice or games.
    This meant we had to scramble to practice (and all our games were away) and during league when you play 2 games and have other 3 days to practice it was a crapshoot organized by our AD and another school.
    One of these was our hated rivals, who screwed us over a couple times. One night we got there with varsity and JVs, only to be told main gym was gonna be used by a Dance team. I told their AD on site (varsity coach) we had the gym, and he said, “Use the other gym or leave.”
    As it turned out we were really good and tied for league title at 11-1, including a blowout W over said hated rivals by 25 at their place in last game. I pointed to scoreboard to their AD and thanked him for his help motivating us…not that we needed it anyway to kick his ass.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on January 2, 2015 at 8:25 am

BBOTD got her apparel from a table cloth at an Italian restaurant.