BBA HOF Votes are In!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 3, 2015

As a member of the Baseball Bloggers Alliance I am required to participate in HOF voting. Surprisingly, the BBA voters do very well in predicting actual outcome. I’m not so sure about this year. 🙂

Here are the players we voted in this year as well as the % vote they received. You need 75% to get in.

Randy Johnson–100%

Pedro Martinez–95%

Craig Biggio–90%

John Smoltz: 89%

Mike Piazza–85%

Jeff Bagwell–77%

Tim Raines–77%

The players who fell short were Edgar Martinez (71%) and Curt Shithead (69%).

Remaining vote getters:

others

1. Macdog said, on January 3, 2015 at 10:54 am

Rich Aurilia 3%?

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2015 at 11:05 am

Not on my vote card 🙂

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2015 at 11:06 am

I think 100 or so voters participated so that probably explains some of the random percentages

• ewisco said, on January 3, 2015 at 11:36 am

my first thought as well.

2. Macdog said, on January 3, 2015 at 11:36 am

Except for the usual omissions of Bonds and Clemens, the top five is pretty solid. Would’ve liked to see a little higher % for Kent.

3. snarkk said, on January 3, 2015 at 11:49 am

Any HOF that has within its halls those 5 names below Johnson and Martinez, and not Bonds, is not a HOF; it’s just a hall of names. And, the voters leaving Bonds off the ballot, like the omniscient BBWAA members such as Susan Slusser and Ann Killion, are 100% sure that none of the dudes they voted in EVER did PEDs? Because if they’re not 100% sure, their vote is pure BS…

4. ewisco said, on January 3, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I disagree about clemons being HOF worthy. he was clearly done in boston when he went to toronto and was able to start juicing in obscurity. also he was terrible in big games. Stewart used to just own him. also a noted head hunter when he was in the AL. why no one threw at his ass in the NL was beyond me. a total punk. without the juice he’s just another james “big game” shields.

5. Alleykat said, on January 3, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Aaron Boone?
    Seriously 1%
    For what ? Having ties with Daniel Boone, or Boone’s farm Apple wine?

6. snarkk said, on January 3, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I agree Kat. The BBWAA members do the same thing. They give votes to journeyman players, but won’t vote for a real HOFer like Bonds. Maybe they liked the dude, or the dude bought them drinks at the hotel bar on roadies. It’s asinine, and renders the whole process to joke level, if it weren’t already. I’m no prude and I enjoy humor, but it seems to me something that’s supposed to be important in this sport like the HOF, the supposed ultimate honor, is rendered to joke status when guys like Richie Aurilia and Darrin Erstad even get one vote, let alone a handful. These writers only get 10 votes, and they waste one or two for joke votes on dudes that have no shot? I doubt if we had a HOF vote from Flappers that anyone here would cast a vote for Richie. How can a process be taken seriously with crap like that happening, when guys that are real contenders fall short of the 75% by a couple of votes?…

7. snarkk said, on January 3, 2015 at 1:12 pm

While I’m on an off season HOF rant, I’ll say the thing about it that really gets me. The HOFers themselves turning into pricks once they get in. Once they get in, they pull the ladder up. They’re in the club now, so the next guy that gets in better really be something special, because I don’t want to be associated with anybody now that’s not as good as I am. Especially if he might, might have used PEDs. Because I can promise you I never did. Or, if we let guys in that might have used PEDs, then we better let in guys that lied for years, then finally admitted they managed and bet on games THAT THEY MANAGED…

8. gianthead said, on January 3, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Whomever voted for Aaron Boone should be noted from the illustrious Baseball Bloggers Alliance for God’s sake!

Besides Bonds, Schilling would get my vote besides all the others at and above 85%.

Bonds had Hall of Fame numbers before any juicing. Same can’t be said for Bagwell…

• gianthead said, on January 3, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Boone voter should be booted I meant…

9. pawliekokonuts said, on January 3, 2015 at 2:26 pm

DarinfuckinErstad? Had to be an Angels blogger. Today I struggled through chapter 8 of my book, which includes my take on the 2002 WS. It was not easy revisiting Game 6. And Mr. Bonds’s miscue did not help. One more thing: Jeff Kent is a Hall of Famer. Has to be.

10. pawliekokonuts said, on January 3, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Speaking of painful 2002, which you can see sours my mood, who remembers the name of — wait for it — CHAD ZERBE?! Okay, the antitode to sour memories?Easy: #3in5 #basking

• DJLoo said, on January 3, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Remember him well. PK, but the real forgotten man of that staff was 13 game winner Ryan Jensen.
      As always i had to look him up…

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 3, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Jensen. Yes. Did he end up with the Royals?

• Macdog said, on January 3, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Zerbe got the win in Game 5 since BBA 1%er Jason Schmidt couldn’t make through 5.

• Flavor said, on January 3, 2015 at 5:01 pm

BBA1%er….lqtm, good one

11. zumiee said, on January 3, 2015 at 5:08 pm

The cruelest thing the Hall of Fame voters ever did was to wait until Ron Santo died, and THEN voted him in.

• snarkk said, on January 3, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Yep, total BS. I’m not sure whether he deserved to be in, but if you put him in, put him in while alive…

• DJLoo said, on January 3, 2015 at 8:25 pm

His credentials were certainly borderline and I always thought it was a shitty thing they did.
        Unless by some chance they did it to make his family happy.
        Only the Santo family can answer that one…

12. zumiee said, on January 3, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Willie mentioned at the end of the last thread how the Warriors sliced and diced the Raptors last night. The Warriors shot well last night, and their passing was also terrific. The Warriors are a team the NBA absolutely needs. Hopefully they go deep into the playoffs this season, and make a serious run at the title.

• gianthead said, on January 3, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Besides needing a healthy Bogut, if they add Ray Allen, they will be unstoppable. Imagine bringing Ray Allen early 4th qtr and draining a couple 3s while Curry and Kay sit for rest with Iggy and David Lee scoring inside with the rest of the 2nd team and the starters coming in to wipe the floor…

13. pawliekokonuts said, on January 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm

What is it with the D.R. and baseball players and shootings? Police question Starlin Castro about nightclub shoot-’em-up.

• DJLoo said, on January 3, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Life is cheap, Pawlie…

• DJLoo said, on January 3, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I have a doctor friend who frequents the D.R. A couple of years ago, when we were chatting about Villalona, I forwarded an e-mail that he had sent to me to Big Flavor in which he describes the Dominican people in brutal detail. I’ll see if I can locate it for you.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 3, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I mean neither one of us wants to generalize such that an entire society is maligned. Both of us are huge Marichal fans. I gather it is the usual factors: greed, poverty, guns, booze, youth, desperation, and more greed.

14. DJLoo said, on January 3, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Well, at the risk of offending everyone I have re-printed it below in its original form. It was written by a “Doctor without Borders” – a highly respected and educated man. The guy is mt friend – it was a personal e-mail to me but WTF I’ll share it. If BF sees fit to delete it, so be it. Here it is:

you know i have a lot of experience with the DOMINICAN PEOPLE
    i married one
    lived amongst them for 5 years
    and have been back and forth there 30 years

they are the simplest minded people i have ever met
    the poor class is so backwards in their thinking they are like HICKS in the south
    much more backwards
    people in SANTO DOMINGO probably have IQs of 100

My friends called them stupid just plain stupid idiots exceptionally dumb people.
    I sometimes have my doubts.

There is a native primitive concrete way of thinking that COLOMBUS found when he started killing 90 percent of them

I know the peloteros usually end up fucking themselves by doing stupid aggressive things.
    they dont think before they act……… they dont see consequences……………

i love them
    but they are i hate to say it not the smartest race of people.

i have so much proof to back up this statement.
    nothing surprises me about what they do

nothing………………………

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Interesting to read about his frustrations, but there’s just no scientific basis to say that any race of people is smarter or dumber. The real issues are lack of education, nutrition, and other pathologies of poverty.

15. willedav said, on January 3, 2015 at 10:41 pm

The “Eastern Stars” book I read about baseball and life in San Pedro de Macoris in DR was pretty eye opening. Town is dominated by sugar industry, which is seasonal, and fishing, which is fast diminishing source of food, and baseball academies, where 15 yr olds can be signed and likely get 3 square meals for the first time in their lives along with some education.

Junot Diaz wrote a couple good novels from Dominican perspective, funny but also heartbreaking, about life in Jersey and NYC. One of the characters goes back home too, with disastrous results. He also presents a lot of the brutal history of the island under the 30 yr iron rule dictatorship of Trujillo.

16. snarkk said, on January 3, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Funny commercial…

• zumiee said, on January 3, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Yeah, it’s nice seeing all those rings. 🙂
      Joe’s been doing a lot of commercials lately. He’s decided to be higher profile in the public again.

17. zumiee said, on January 3, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Speaking of commercials, let’s hope Willie and Mickey got paid well for this: 🙂

18. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2015 at 8:40 am

Yeah, I think Pete Rose suffers the same fate as Santo. He won’t get in while alive.

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Santo may have deserved it on merits, maybe not; but he didn’t disgrace himself otherwise, like Rose. Rose violated the cardinal rule of the game, with impunity.
      You bet on games you’re managing? No HOF for you, ever…