Stuart Scott

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 4, 2015

I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Stuart Scott. I was never a huge fan of his persona on ESPN and like anyone with a shtick it got old from time to time. But he was one of those *friends* who I never actually knew. He was in my living room, every night, telling me about the day in sports with all the cliches he made famous. But over time, like a warm blanket, I started to appreciate how “cool the other side of the pillow” really was….

And watching him fight his cancer so publicly there was one word that rose above all others in describing his fight: inspiring.

In 2014, he won the Jimmy V Perseverance Award and his acceptance speech was the best one since Jimmy V himself. I’m embedding it below but here’s the line that we should all adopt as our mantra in life, whether we have cancer or not:

“When you die, that does not mean you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you lived, why you lived, and in the manner in which you lived. So Live. Live….”

RIP Stuart Scott.

And for the rest of us, go live today. Live.

1. willedav said, on January 4, 2015 at 7:42 am

Yeah, that was a shock to read this morning.
    Always seemed a little classier yet still down to earth (and funnier) than rest of ESPN talking heads.

2. zumiee said, on January 4, 2015 at 8:29 am

I’m shocked. I didn’t know any of this. I rarely watch Sportscenter. Very sad news.

3. zumiee said, on January 4, 2015 at 9:02 am

Paste Magazine has listed their choice for Top 20 Musician Memoirs.
    I’ve only read one on their list so far, the Dylan book, which I liked a lot.
    Memoirs I’ve read by Neil Young, Roseanne Cash, and Linda Ronstadt didn’t make their list.
    Here’s their list:

• eddacker said, on January 4, 2015 at 10:16 am

thanks, I like the dylan book and Neil’s. The story about ‘almost’ having a stroke was surprising. The Dylan book stopped at a good place. Looking forward to the next set of chapters.

4. Alleykat said, on January 4, 2015 at 9:26 am

Stunning News about Stuart Scott,
    Heart goes out to his family& extended family his whole gang at ESPN..
    RIP Stuart

5. snarkk said, on January 4, 2015 at 10:58 am

Yesterday, some talk was about Ron Santo.
    Today, this Stu Scott news. Both sad for different reasons.
    If dying puts me over the top for a HOF, that’s one I don’t want to be in…

6. snarkk said, on January 4, 2015 at 11:15 am

BTW, as much as ESPN was a revelation early on, now it has become a big part of turning sports into a business first, athletic competition second. It’s especially impacted college sports to the negative, IMO…

7. pawliekokonuts said, on January 4, 2015 at 11:48 am

I had / have no idea who he is / was. I must live in a snowbank.

• stickman said, on January 4, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Pawlie: Well at least you don’t have my excuse of never having allowed a boobtoob into my home.

• Macdog said, on January 4, 2015 at 12:29 pm

There’s something to be said for an ESPN-free lifestyle.

8. DJLoo said, on January 4, 2015 at 4:24 pm

There’s a report out there that the Giants have shown some interest in obtaining our WS pal Nori Aoki …

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2015 at 5:01 pm

He’d hit a shitload of triples at our place. Not the worst stab in the world.

• willedav said, on January 4, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Mmm, he hit 6 for KC all last year. OPS has dropped over 75 points last 2 seasons down to blanco level of .710–leads me to believe league has figured him out. 65 steals with 27 caught in 3 yrs.
        Wonder what SF saw in this guy they liked so much…unless he’s on other team.

Plus, I just don’t like to watch him hit–ugly lunging style.

9. El Cap said, on January 4, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Why get Aoli when you have Blanco? Looks like at 32 his best days are over.

• DJLoo said, on January 4, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Mine where…

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 4, 2015 at 6:59 pm

the classic Loo bon mot: simple

• DJLoo said, on January 4, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Complete with spelling error.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 4, 2015 at 8:18 pm

didn’t catch it at first because my *mind* saw the correct spelling

10. wilcojoe said, on January 4, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Watching the highlights of his ESPY speech brought me to tears. Say what you want about ESPN, he was truely one of the legends. His sports metaphors and one liners were the inspiration of every sportscaster that would follow (He put those before him to shame, Berman and Olberman in particular.) You didn’t have to be black or white, young or old, or even a sports fan to enjoy his comedic genius and onscreen likeability.

I don’t think I will ever turn over my pillow at night, without thinking of Stuart Scott.

• Flavor said, on January 4, 2015 at 7:23 pm

that’s funny you say that. I have always, 100% of the time, thought of Stuart Scott whenever I’ve turned over my pillow at night and noticed it to be especially cool. Always thought I was a weirdo for doing that. Now you’ve given me hope that I’m not the only one. lol
      And Pawlie still doesn’t know who we’re talking about?

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 4, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I really don’t know him, as far as I can tell. I don’t have a TV. I HAVE had one, when living with my family. I’m not quite the purist Stickman is. I’ll take your words for it. Sounds like a great guy. I know Stephen A. Smith better, because I’ve heard him on the radio and occasionally seen his column in the Philadelphia Inquirer. But to bring him up in this context is really kinda dumb. I mean, why did I think of him, just because he is an African-American sports media person? Well, their names are sort of similar. A little.

11. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Snarkk, per the posts yesterday about Santo/Rose. I’m totally behind you on Rose. I think he’s a tool of the worst kind. Only coming clean to shill his book. I just think he’ll eventually get grandfathered in after he dies.

Santo was a tireless ambassador for the game, and for some arcane reason unknown to most, they stiffed him. Rose shouldn’t smell it even from the grave, IMO . . . Then again, Lefty O’Doul should be in as well.

Speaking of betting, anyone see the Dallas game? Interesting that Dean Blandino, the VP of NFL officiating, was seen hanging on Jerry Jones party bus earlier this year.

• snarkk said, on January 4, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Yeah, on merits Rose is obviously in the HOF.
      On the demerits, he’s outside looking in, forever. Tough. You bet on the game while you’re in a position to impact the outcome, you’re out.
      Let’s say we we found out that Bochy bet on Giants games as manager. Every Pen move he ever did that resulted in a fiasco inning with the game on the line, we’d wonder whether he bet against the squad that night. Whether the team was good (since 2009) or sucked for the first few years he was here. Would that revelation dampen the fervor to put him in the HOF? Of course it would. Rose is no different. And since he lied for many years that he even placed bets on baseball while in the game, I don’t believe his protests that he never bet against the Reds as their manager. Nor do I believe it when he says that he never bet on MLB games while a player. When he was playing and managing, the guy would bet on anything, anytime — he had a big time problem…

12. unca_chuck said, on January 4, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Not sure but I think Stuart Scott came up with the ‘cooler than the other side of the pillow’ talking about Joe Montana. As in Joe Cool was so cool he was cooler than other other side of the pillow. But that could be just my mind playing trick on me. .

13. El Cap said, on January 4, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Sad he died, that phrase is not an original. Believe it was Wayne Walker who described Montana that way.

• DJLoo said, on January 5, 2015 at 4:29 am

My favorite phrase these days is one I heard in the bar recently. The bartender was talking about a middle aged woman who’s in there for hours every single day.
      “She drinks like tomorrow’s a rumor”

• Flavor said, on January 5, 2015 at 5:59 am

fantastic!

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 5, 2015 at 7:44 am

Speaking of drunks, Eugene O’Neill has no better line. Sounds like a Jimmy Breslin.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 5, 2015 at 7:45 am

upon reflection, tomorrow is always a rumor, in’it?

14. willedav said, on January 5, 2015 at 7:44 am

Watched Stanford-UW game on ESPN U last night, which featured comments from MJ and others and the announcers definitely referenced the cool quote. cards had nice comeback W as dawkins got some bench production and good games from his 3 best players.
    However, UW not near as good as advertised, nor is Pac 12 as a whole. For Cal to lose at home to another chump team is a bad sign. Neither local team has enough quality players, but don’t tell me Dawkins doesn’t know what he’s doing. Nastic at post is greatly improved, team runs O good sets and mixes up defenses.

Real treat tonight as GS battles OKC in a game that features couple nerd coaches and some of highest skilled O players on planet. Win or lose these games are fun to watch.
    I’d hesitate before signing Ray Allen, because he’d have to be a focus and get up a lot of shots/plays run just for him to be of value off the bench. I think Dubs have enough small players and I like Livingston as backup point who shares ball and can defend.
    I’d rather grab a guy like Samuel Dalembert, of limited O skills but big body inside who can board and defend like DeAndre Jordan and use him as fall back for Bogut/Ezeli.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:35 am

Too bad that ESPN has become so terrible. Sort of how MTV used to play music and is now a total waste of the airwaves. Regardless, I always liked Stuart Scott. Rush Eisen gave him a nice tribute over on the NFL Network last night. If you can ignore Irvin and Sanders it is very good. How the hell do those two clowns still have studio jobs?

16. willedav said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:52 am

Bogut really is a throw back too. Time was post guys had multiple inside moves like McHale and Olajuwon and could score with either hand/or 20 ft range and good passing ability like Issel and Alvan Adams.
    Now everyone wants to be like Shaq or Dwight Howard and either jump hook or bullrush/slam dunk.

Sad, because post moves require hours of work–establishing position, being able to catch and pass under pressure, counter moves if fav if taken away, and most important, footwork to leg fight and move.
    Having a legit go to post presence is better than having team full of jump shooters, and having good dose of both proven formula for winning it all in NBA (any other league too).

17. Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:23 am

Good thread Flavor. I have never been a big ESPN fan, but do think Stuart Scott was a good sportcaster. RIP – Peace and comfort to his family and friends.

I had a busy weekend, so catching up on some posts…

Pawlie – thanks for link to the “Strange But True Postseason Feats” article.

WillieD – mentioned an article about Petit vs. Timmy. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

snarkk shared the Montana commercial…I saw that the other day, and LOVE IT. Of course, Joe Cool is my favorite all-time NFLer, but regardless, that commercial is funny as hell. BOO-YAH!

GHead mentioned a potential trade for Hamels (now that the Giants have said they will not pursue either Sheilds or Sherzer). No way in hell I see that trade going down. If the Giants pull a trade that DOES include a top prospect, it will be for Zobrist (Bobby Evans came out last night saying they are still in dicussions). Giddy the fuck up on that one.

Only 44 days until pitchers and catchers report. ST tix on sale on the 13th. I am eyeing March 7-9 (Dago, Zona, and Bums).

Make it an awesome day FU.