Ben Zobrist

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 5, 2015

Let’s move on from the Stuart Scott goodbyes and discuss something more Giant-centric and that would be the possible Ben Zobrist pick up. He would be a great fit for the team, mostly due to his positional flexibility. Unfortunately, other teams want him too. The Rays are looking for a huge haul– 1 top prospect and 1 mid prospect. If that’s true, for me, that’s a deal breaker. No way do I give up a top prospect for going-on-34-year-old Ben Zobrist.

Translated, they want Kyle Crick and maybe a Clayton Blackburn. Obviously, we would all include Blackburn in a deal because we see him more as our next Mike Kickham than our next Hunter Strickland.

Or do you see Hunter Strickland as a guy you’d give up for Zobrist?

I’d do that. Probably not much more. And that’s why he’s probably going somewhere else…..

Thoughts?

1. Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:27 am

I had just posted to the last thread, so here are some thoughts re: the past couple of threads:

I have never been a big ESPN fan, but do think Stuart Scott was a good sportcaster. RIP – Peace and comfort to his family and friends.

I had a busy weekend, so catching up on some posts…

Pawlie – thanks for link to the “Strange But True Postseason Feats” article.

WillieD – mentioned an article about Petit vs. Timmy. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

snarkk shared the Montana commercial…I saw that the other day, and LOVE IT. Of course, Joe Cool is my favorite all-time NFLer, but regardless, that commercial is funny as hell. BOO-YAH!

GHead mentioned a potential trade for Hamels (now that the Giants have said they will not pursue either Sheilds or Sherzer). No way in hell I see that trade going down. If the Giants pull a trade that DOES include a top prospect, it will be for Zobrist (Bobby Evans came out last night saying they are still in dicussions). Giddy the fuck up on that one.

Only 44 days until pitchers and catchers report. ST tix on sale on the 13th. I am eyeing March 7-9 (Dago, Zona, and Bums).

Make it an awesome day FU.

2. Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:29 am

I would love to see Zobrist, but yeah, have heard that the Natty Nats, Angels, and Cubs are interested, too. No way I give-up Crick in a trade. I would probably do Blackburn and Strickland…but Strickland is a tough one. I see him having potential for a big upside. I like Duffy, too, but would package him and a Blackburn-type if that would get it done.

• stickman said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:37 am

Chi: Looked at a Rays fansite yesterday which insisted their team needs to get Crick AND Susac for Zobrist. Hardy, har, har, har. Doubtful whether their GM is quite that out to lunch. Your Blackburn/Duffy offer seems sensible for Zobrist. Or substitute Blach for Blackburn. Maybe even throw in a certain first round draft pick who has great speed and plays CF.

• Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:54 am

Crick and Susac…whoever has those pipe dreams, needs to put the fucking pipe down. No way in hell the Giants part with Crick for Zobrist, and I doubt seriously they would deal Susac.

3. Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:33 am

Panik and Susac are off-limits. If either were to be a deal-breaker, then Tampon Bay can go fuck themselves, HARD.

• stickman said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:43 am

Panik for Zobrist one-up would not meet with my approval. Panik knows how to get it done. He’s a very intelligent batter and a complete package as a second-baseman. And he’s young. He may or may not remain a .300 hitter, though the chances of him solving particular pitchers are probably as high as those guys solving him. He’s a great stick-handler at the plate. Doesn’t try to do too much.

Susac could easily be the centerpiece for a better than average #3 starter ~ say a guy who averages an ERA of 3.35-3.65 and is not yet too long in the tooth or anticipating immanent free-agency. He’d be wasted on a comparative senior-citizen like Zobrist.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:41 am

Hard to know what to give up for Zobrist but he’s a perfect fit for the club. He can start in left or move to pretty much any spot that falters. If the Giants do get him does the potential for draft pick compensation at the end of next year factor in? I’d throw Strickland and Crick at them. Strickland because I don’t think he’ll last. Even with the gopher balls in the post season they’d be selling high on him. Crick mainly because I don’t think the club projects him as having as high a ceiling as others.

• stickman said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:46 am

Strickland AND Crick? Too much IMHO. I could see Strickland paired with a C+ level starter prospect and maybe one of the few even-so-so position prospects the Giants “boast”. Nothing more. I’m kinda wavery on a one-up of Crick + relative garbage for Zobrist.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:50 am

Fair enough but with the other teams in the mix it will probably take something similar. I like your idea of Brown above.

5. Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:58 am

Crick is a tough call. Dirt – I have seen NOTHING where the Giants talk about Crick not having as high a ceiling as others. Do you have a link to some articles?

Baseball America ranked Crick 33 in the top 100 for 2014. Again, tough call for me to include him for Zobrist. Definitely not Crick and Strickland. I do think Strickland has an upside, and I see him as potentially closing for our Giants in a year or two.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 5, 2015 at 11:13 am

Just my opinion, Chi.

I’ll be pretty surprised to see the Giants end up with Zobrist. I figured they’d end up with Bonifacio.

7. DJLoo said, on January 5, 2015 at 11:34 am

I think Strickland my be untouchable.
    The Giants are counting on him to boost the kayak business in McCovey Cove…

• Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Bahaha…

• Irish Kevin said, on January 5, 2015 at 12:37 pm

LMAO. two thumbs up for that comment.

8. Irish Kevin said, on January 5, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I think that if Strickland had not given up so many bombs he would be good trade bait. I don’t think he makes the team next year. See Loo’s comment above.

• Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 1:41 pm

I am not sure that he makes the team, but I think he has a chance. I can see him maybe starting as a closer for the RiverCats, but I fully expect him to be closing for the big club in a year or two.

9. unca_chuck said, on January 5, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Strickland was brought up due to injuries and tired arms and such. He’ll be fine with a a little more seasoning and coaching. The brain trust is high on the guy. Rightly so.

Zobrist will likely be out of our range based on what the other offers are. But they always look like shit after the deal is done. Crick/Susac? Might as well throw Bummie into the mix. Glue heads.

10. unca_chuck said, on January 5, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Kevin, bringing along a guy like Strickland makes someone like Romo tradeable.

• Irish Kevin said, on January 5, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Well based on his playoff performance I would not even consider him for the team. He would have to come in and show me 1 scoreless inning after another. Not give up bombs to every powere hitter he faces. He was useless in the playoffs. IMO

• Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 2:47 pm

You are blinded by the few bombs he gave up. IMO the sample size is too small. He will get every opportunity to make the big club. And if he does not, I see him closing for Sac. If he is not traded, he will be closing for the SF Giants in a year or two. He has too much upside. Check out his minor league stats (K/BB ratio, etc.), and also his regular season stats this year (again, smaill sample of only 7 innings). You cannot just focus on the post-season, IMO.

11. Flavor said, on January 5, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Strickland has huge value. He got a little tired come playoff time but his arm has big value right now. A guy that throws 100 with location? Gimmie.

• DJLoo said, on January 5, 2015 at 2:43 pm

You sure about the location, Flav? How do you explain the uncanny amount of homers?

12. Chipower9 said, on January 5, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Dirt – Baseball America also ranks Crick as the Giants top prospect. Escobar is 2nd. I would see if the Rays take Escobar and another mid-level player for Zobrist.

It would be interesting to know what other teams are offering. Is their pot much sweeter than that being offered by the Giants? Would love to know.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 5, 2015 at 2:13 pm

I get that, Chi. From everything I have seen that is the sort of package it would take to land Zobrist. I assume they’ll get better as other teams have more well regarded farms.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 5, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Right on cue, Big Flavor’s esteemed colleagues at Baseball Prospectus have released the Giants top 10 prospects. Shockingly Adrianza isn’t on it.

1. LHP Adalberto Mejia
    2. RHP Kyle Crick
    3. C Andrew Susac
    4. RHP Tyler Beede
    5. RHP Keury Mella
    6. SS/2B Christian Arroyo
    7. LHP Steven Okert
    8. RHP Hunter Strickland
    9. RHP Clayton Blackburn
    10. LHP Ty Blach

14. Macdog said, on January 5, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Bonifacio’s out: He signed a one-year deal with the White Sox. And Harang signed with the Phils.

15. gianthead said, on January 5, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I think the Nats have a much deeper farm system to land Zobrist. They can add Espinoza back into the deal to give the Rays some additional infield depth…Strickland and maybe that Arroyo kid is more than fair for 34 year old Zobrist.

Panik and Susac are off the table for any deals for Zobrist and no way I would add in Crick. If we were talking Hamels then I would seriously consider Crick and Susac but I would do everything to get other pieces into a deal without Susac. Crick and Blackburn and couple of other smaller pieces I think is legit for Hamels at trade deadline. Of course if Posey is going to kept at catcher next 2-3 years, Susac and Crick for Hamels is win fucking win for all sides…

16. Macdog said, on January 5, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Stu Miller has died at 87. From the AP:

He is most remembered for his All-Star game performance at windy Candlestick Park in 1961.

Miller was called for a balk in the ninth inning which helped the AL score the tying run. Miller got the win in extra innings but the headlines the next day proclaimed “Miller Blown off Mound.” He long proclaimed the legend to be overblown.

• stickman said, on January 5, 2015 at 6:02 pm

RIP Stu. One of the best little guys to make well in the big-time. Miller was the classic junkballer, but waaay good as a reliever (why he pitched in the ASG). I seem to recall watching the live video of that event. Back in ’61 there was no PPV or Comcast packaging or any other such profiteering bullshit. Truly, Miller was a great Giant.

17. Alleykat said, on January 5, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Give em Blackburn,Mella, and either Blach or Stratton!

18. stickman said, on January 5, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Never BOTH Blackburn and Blach. I wanna see SF keep Use More of Petit as their longman extrordinaire. Not at all likely that #55 will recover sufficiently to succeed again as a SP. So unless Sabes pulls some overlooked rabbit out of a hat (though possessed of perhaps the ugliest phizz in the game Harang would have made a perfectly sufficient #5) mark this down: Either Blackburn or Blach will get the call before the month of May has transpired.

19. Flavor said, on January 5, 2015 at 6:22 pm

GUys– Strickland was DOMINANT this year. He killed it in the minors: in 35 innings he had 48k’s against 4 walks. The plan for him was to come up and get a taste of the big league. He did that. In 9 games he didn’t allow a run vs 9k’s and 0 walks.
    The Giants put him on the playoff roster because they needed him and they really couldn’t afford to keep a dude dominating like that OFF the playoff roster. But his plan was to never pitch that much. He probably wasn’t ready for that type of big game pressure not to mention he was supposed to be resting his arm at that point of the year anyway.
    He got blasted in the playoffs, no question. But probably for the 2 reasons I just listed. And the sample size was small.
    He absolutely has location with his 100 mph fastball. That’s not even debatable. It’s likely why the Giants won’t trade him. But make no mistake, Strickland is a coveted arm……

• zumiee said, on January 5, 2015 at 7:51 pm

And he had a few good moments in the playoffs. He struck out the side against somebody, if I remember correctly.

20. zumiee said, on January 5, 2015 at 7:53 pm

There’s always the chance the Giants will hang onto Crick and use him as a mid-season trade chip, if needed. The Giants used Escobar to get Peavy, if I remember correctly.

• salty said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:24 pm

And the once near untouchable Heath Hembree, who like Strickland was considered a future closer.

21. paulinasia said, on January 5, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Seems like it often happens that we’re discussing possible trade targets and saying that the Giants likely don’t have enough top level pieces, and then another team lands that target and gives up seemingly nothing. It’s not necessarily how top level a prospect the Rays want, it’s more about what they think they need to fill some holes, short- or long-term. Giants definitely have young players to offer, no less than any other team. If, in Brian’s Brain, it’s a good fit, he’ll pull the trigger. Other than the Joe Nathan trade, I generally think this is his strength. And I certainly trust that he and his staff know more about these young players than we do. If he were to give up a Crick or Strickland for Zobrist, I’m gonna feel ok with that. Get ‘er done already.

• Flavor said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Crick and Strick are totally different commodities. And I almost think I’d rather keep Strick than Crick, especially when you consider what Crick could bring in a trade.

22. SanDawg said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Late to the party, but anxious to chime in….I’m a patient man, but I am DONE with Strickland. I totally support packaging the guy with a prospect to bring in a legit player. I know the jugs and k/walk numbers look great, but there is something missing with him that makes his ball uber hittable. Lack of movement perhaps???
    Whether they trade him or not, I don’t see him having any kind of an MLB career. There’s a reason he was available on waivers and it goes deeper than coming off TJ surgery. What were his post-season numbers? Something like 8 homers allowed while facing 25 batters? Holy Bronson Arroyo Batman!!! If another team sees value in that arm, I say Lets Make A Deal!

• Flavor said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:38 pm

lol, you’re done with him?
      Well, you’ll get over that next year. He’s a stud, stop worrying about a few bad pitches in the post season that he wasn’t ready for anyway.
      The dude is a beast and while I would trade him for Zobrist because that would fill a greater need, baring injury, this dude is gonna dominate in the pen for 2+ years before his arm gets blown out again……..

23. zumiee said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Some Hall of Fame voters can make a person face-palm. I saw this on the web:

Marty Noble only voted for Pedro, Johnson and Smoltz and admitted he looked at no numbers. Included this gem:
    “Another year will pass before I need to study Kent, who I sense is HOF-worthy, and Mike Mussina, who is … well, I’m not sure. I withheld my vote from Kent this year only because I don’t care to see the Cooperstown stage sag under too much weight come July 26. Three’s company, four’s a crowd.”

• snarkk said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:49 pm

The HOF is an absolute joke, Exhibit #129…

24. zumiee said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:43 pm

When Willie Mays went into the Hall of Fame, he was marked on 95% of the ballots.
    The other 5% of voters should have lost their voting privileges.

25. zumiee said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Ben Lindbergh thinks Smoltz will benefit from a “coattails effect”:

“Rotation mates Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Smoltz go together like a much more talented Tinker, Evers, and Chance. Just as Joe Tinker’s election was assured when Frank Chance and Johnny Evers were elected, Smoltz’s 2014 fate might have been sealed when Maddux and Glavine got in. While we don’t have a systematic study of a Cooperstown coattail effect, as we do in politics or even the MLB draft, there is anecdotal evidence that ties to other great players or teams can give a bubble candidate a boost, even without Veterans Committee cronyism. (Tony Perez, for one, probably benefited from the aura of the Big Red Machine.) And the exposure that Smoltz received from TBS national broadcasts and frequent playoff appearances can’t have hurt (not that Schilling and Mussina were ever far from the spotlight).”

• DJLoo said, on January 5, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Although the guy we were just talking about, Ron Santo, would’ve been a coattail type with Ernie Banks & Billy Williams. Unfortunately he had to die to get in…

• Macdog said, on January 5, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Maybe Aurilia will someday ride in on the coattails of Bonds and Kent.

• DJLoo said, on January 5, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I wish Aurilia would come clean about his juice use. One insane year. Did he stop after 2001? And if so, why?

26. zumiee said, on January 5, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Stu Miller’s case is a classic situation where the media didn’t let the truth get in the way of a good story. The story was too perfect: “Miller getting blown off the mound at Candlestick.” The wind may have contributed to the balk, but lots of folks have verified that Miller wasn’t blown off the mound.

27. snarkk said, on January 5, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Panik is off limits to trade, for a 34 year old versatile dude or otherwise. Panik’s a playa for the next decade, and a possible 2d baseman that plugs that hole for that entire period…

28. zumiee said, on January 5, 2015 at 11:46 pm

The Warriors by 30 points tonight over the Thunder.
    Keep on rockin’ and rollin’, Warriors.

29. zumiee said, on January 5, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Ted Williams had a unique physique. He seemed to be mostly legs; he had a comparatively small torso. And like a lot of players from his era, he was strong but not bulky: