Hall of Lame

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 6, 2015

This will never happen, but I wish that Barry Bonds would come out publicly, denounce the Hall of Fame and the joke voters they employ, and request his name be taken off all future ballots. It’s time to send a strong message to the HOF that they are full of shit. Sitting around hand wringing and nervously wondering about your vote percentage seems like a waste of time–especially for a place that doesn’t want you no matter what percentage of votes you garner.

It doesn’t have to be Barry. It could be anyone who has been twisting in the wind waiting for these blowhard writers to allow them to kiss their ring. If enough of them denounced the hall and renounced their inclusion on the ballot we might finally see the Hall of Fame renamed to what it truly is: The Hall of Hypocrisy.

I couldn’t care less who gets voted in or not anymore…..

__________________________________________________________

Unca here, again. I’m starting to see these all over the City. Is there a Flap graffiti artist out there?

IMG_1046

1. willedav said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:05 am

Agreed, flav. It’s a whatev. I like Smoltz, as a broadcaster too, but where you separate the HOF and the Hall of the Very Good is totally subjective. Bonds is just a no brainer except for those sanctimonious shit heads who don’t like the guy. Compared to many a-holes already in…

I’d like to weigh in on Zobrist—he’s not going on sale for Arias and Machi. I think he is exactly the type of player who can play at high level for a while who would be a perfect fit for Bochy and Giants. He would also provide insurance in case a couple things I suspect to happen 2015 occur.

One, MacG craters. He has zero pop, and in every way is a worse player than Sandoval. His great start to last year could easily be a one year fluke and I’m just suspicious Marlins sold so low on him. I’m not saying Sando was worth $100 mill, but this is a definite downgrade.

Two, and I know I’ll get some blowback on this, but I don’t see Panik as a HOF candidate either. He only had half a season of mlb, and put up an OPS equal to Blanco, another guy who isn’t gonna get many votes once he retires either. Projections I’ve read see his BA dropping significantly; he doesn’t draw many walks or hit for power (actually less pop than blanco) so that would mean the OPS goes from .710 to .665-ish. That is not a top of order hitter, more like 7-8 ala Crawford.

I think it more likely pitchers figure him out, jam him inside and defenses squeeze in on him. You can’t be fooled by the BA–he’s still a .700 OPS guy/1.0 WAR player. Imo more likely he has sophomore jinx issues than he turns into the next Robby Thompson.

Three, losing Morse and replacing him with Blanco everyday gives another big hit to the O beside the 2 I already mentioned, which suffers even more if Pagan cannot stay healthy because Blanco cannot leadoff. So you lose Sando and Morse and his .800 plus OPS out of middle of the LU, Giants need an upgrade that Zobrist can fill. His versatility also gives Sabes the flex when it comes to acquiring fill ins mid season, OF or IF.

2. zumiee said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:33 am

On the MLB Network yesterday, Brian Kenny made the point that in the early decades of the Hall it made sense to have the writers do the voting; they were the ones that saw more games than anyone, and followed it more closely. But nowadays, there are people that follow it more closely than a lot of the writers. He’d like to see more SABR folks given the right to vote, and some media broadcasters, like Bob Costas.

The Hall exists as its own entity, and could alter the qualifications on who gets to vote, but they’re pretty conservative, so they won’t.
    So we end up with this situation where the baseball writers get to have their annual cock-of-the-walk moment.

It’s not a big deal to me who gets in or who doesn’t.

3. unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:35 am

Well, my bggest issue with the team remains the outfield, and while Zobrist would help, they need another decent OFer for the inevitable injury to Pagan. I just don’t think he can play full-time anymore. Backs are a bitch and he’s in the middle of dealing with a bad one.

Shit, Marlon Byrd is ancient, but he’s been a hell of a lot more dependable than Pagan.

4. unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:40 am

The balance to losing Morse is having Belt back and healthy. Posey needs to start resembling the power hitter he once was. Losing Sando will be hard to overcome, but as we showed, we can win without home runs. Shit, we can win without hits. Flan’s Runs Thrown In stat needs to be honored.

It’s just a matter of keeping the line moving.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:40 am

That pic in the main thread is great. The Flappening. Its happening.

6. wilcojoe said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:41 am

The fact that Jeff Kent’s name never gets mentioned is a farce in and of itself.

• Alleykat said, on January 6, 2015 at 10:12 am

Agree WJ.. He’s hit the most HR’s of any 2nd basemen in the history of the game and was as clutch as they come with runners on base, especially 1 out and a guy on 3rd with a lifetime .407 avg, that’s getting it done!!

7. unca_chuck said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:42 am

And Flav, I’d love it if Bonds came out and ripped Selig for his blind-eye stance for years on the steroids issue.

I also dug it when Bonds said thanks but no thanks to the Home Run Derby at the Pac Bell ASG.

A big fuck you to Bud.

8. zumiee said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:45 am

It’s kind of amusing how the writers stiff Schilling each year. I saw Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe interviewed on the topic of “writers having personal issues with HOF candidates” and it’s definitely a real thing, although Shaughnessy said he himself votes for Schilling even though he doesn’t like him on a personal level. It’s another reason to open the voting beyond just the writers.
    But having said that, it’s still funny watching Schilling get stiffed each year.

9. zumiee said, on January 6, 2015 at 9:02 am

On a cold dreary day in Washington, D.C., in 2009, Brian Wilson struck out Wil Nieves, and Randy Johnson got his 300th win, while wearing a Giants uniform, in front of a small crowd of Nationals fans. Our connection to Randy Johnson’s HOF day today. 🙂

10. zumiee said, on January 6, 2015 at 9:11 am

A Dodger fan makes some HOF predictions for today:

Four get in: Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz and Craig Biggio.
    Mike Piazza falls short by less than one percent and goes in next year with Ken Griffey Jr. and Trevor Hoffman.
    Johnson becomes the eighth Hall of Famer to get more than 97 percent of the vote. Doesn’t make 98 percent, though.
    Tim Raines finishes at 63 percent.
    Sammy Sosa knocked off the ballot after getting less than five percent of the vote. McGwire barely holds on.
    Harold Reynolds says something stupid about the Hall of Fame on the 3-hour preview.
    Neither Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens make more than a 5 percentage point gain over their 2014 vote totals (41 percent, 39 percent).
    Don Mattingly receives less than 7 percent of the vote in his final year on the ballot.
    Tim Raines gets 63 percent, a 10 percent increase over 2014.
    Aaron Boone gets one vote.

by fbihop on Jan 6, 2015 | 8:17 AM

11. salty said, on January 6, 2015 at 9:28 am

Agree with Flavor on HOF. Couldn’t care less.

Zobrist obviously a nice piece but at what price? I wouldn’t give up Crick or Susac. Or Okert, for that matter. Curious who the giants are dangling. I would even hate to give up Strickland but with Romo signed, he and Duffy probably the likely bait.

12. salty said, on January 6, 2015 at 10:11 am

Random thought on a slow day.

Think GM’s view 3 time World Champion SF Giants a little differently re: trades, as in,
    If those smug dynasty f’s want help, it’s gonna cost them big time.
    Or: Sabean has been low balling teams in trades for years. I ain’t falling for it. Pay up or F- off. I’ll even take a bit less rather than help them win another ring.

13. wilcojoe said, on January 6, 2015 at 10:35 am

Finally Houston fans will have something to celebrate when Craig Biggio becomes the first Astro elected to the Hall of Fame. He should have been a no-brainer first ballot guy. First player in MLB history to record more than 600 doubles, 250 homers, 400 stolen bases and of course 3000 hits. Not to mention he played multiple positions at gold glove level. Plus he was a class act on and off the field.

• wilcojoe said, on January 6, 2015 at 10:37 am

Not to mention he was one of the guys who had my back when Billy Wagner went on his racist tirade during my clubhouse interview story I told a while back.

• Alleykat said, on January 6, 2015 at 10:48 am

IF Biggio had your back WJ, that’s good enough for me👍
        Fuck that punk ass Wagner, never liked that arrogant piece of dogshit.

14. Chipower9 said, on January 6, 2015 at 10:53 am

Fuck the HOF…I agree, it is a damned JOKE. Love the “BASK” picture.

Deal a pitching prospect and someone like Duffy for Zobrist. As mentioned yesterday, it would be interesting to know what the interested teams are offering, and what Sabes and crew are offering, too. Zobrist would be a huge add.

WillieD – I disagree re: your take on Panik. We shall see. I don’t see him being an offensive juggernaut, and do not believe the club expects this, but could see him holding down 2nd for the Giants for many years to come.

Charlie – if the Giants land Zobrist (long shot?), I just do not see them getting another OFer.

15. Chipower9 said, on January 6, 2015 at 10:54 am

Off to see the trophies tomorrow. Cannot wait.

Only 43 days until pitchers and catchers report. ST tix go on sale next Tuesday…

16. Alleykat said, on January 6, 2015 at 11:05 am

Couple of really good “Basque” resturants up in Reno, killer food & lots of basking going down.

17. Chipower9 said, on January 6, 2015 at 11:19 am

I know most have said they don’t give a fuck, but here are this year’s inductees:

Big Unit
    Pedro Martinez
    Smoltz
    Biggio

18. Chipower9 said, on January 6, 2015 at 11:22 am

Unit – 97.3 %
    Martinez – 91.1
    Smoltz – 82.9
    Biggio – 82.7.

19. Chipower9 said, on January 6, 2015 at 11:26 am

At least there is one writer who seems to get it (in regards to HOF voting). Good read, IMO…

• zumiee said, on January 6, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Great article, thanks!

20. willedav said, on January 6, 2015 at 11:58 am

Funny, but I work in a retail store with some high end mchdse. One class of customer I dislike the most are the poseurs who know the brand and want to know if it’s on sale, can I check a website, yada yada.
    So I check, they’re FOS, it’s not on sale (and goes on sale once a year for couple weeks, only unless it’s discontinued). And that’s what I tell them—this is the price and give them the “take it or leave it” death stare.

That’s my take on Zobrist—he’s a winning player that helps the club a lot and costs whatever he does. Giants survived and won 2 titles since giving up Wheeler and losing Beltran to boot. Strickland? I give him up in a heartbeat, and who knows how many of the prospects ever turn out as good as Wheeler did.

Panik and Susac both had nice seasons, but I don’t think it is anywhere near realistic to make career judgments on how they will fare based on so few ml ABs.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 6, 2015 at 12:15 pm

More or less agree with you regarding Panik but I think the club should hold onto him. He’ll be solid if unspectacular at 2b. The Giants need that money saved to go towards arms. No idea really on Susac because of lack of PT. I saw him in person a couple of times last season and was impressed with the power he flashed. He launched one to CF that looked like a line drive off the bat and just carried and carried and was gone. If he’s going to be blocked by Posey then by all means cash the chip but they should be able to get a better return than Zobrist.

• Chipower9 said, on January 6, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I am not making career judgements. Like Dirt, I think they should hold onto both. Who cares if Posey blocks Susac for a few years…it is important to have a good back-up catcher on hand.

I just think both have potential to be solid players…maybe not stars, but solid. Dirt makes a good point in that if these guys do pan out to be solid MLers, the controlled cost allows the team to reload in other areas.

I stand solid on Susac and Panik being off-limits.

21. Alleykat said, on January 6, 2015 at 12:36 pm

So does Randy Johnson go in wearing a Giants cap, since he got his 300th win for us?
    Are maybe it should be “A BIG UNIT” Cap..

• DJLoo said, on January 6, 2015 at 1:28 pm

With that face he should go in wearing a mask…

• willedav said, on January 6, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Good one, as usual. With that scowl grimace of his he always looked like some guy out of a horror movie anyway.

22. Chipower9 said, on January 6, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Breaking news – Hudson has surgery to remove bone spurs on his ankle….expected recovery is eight weeks. He is supposed to be ready for opening day.

• DJLoo said, on January 6, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Made sense to wait till now. Wouldn’t want him on crutches for the holidays.
      This guy is done. He won’t win 5 games in 2015.

• Flavor said, on January 6, 2015 at 2:57 pm

very possibly correct. He could be a “Huff” or a “Scoots” waiting to happen in 2015….

23. zumiee said, on January 6, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Pretty grim article about the Niners in the new issue of Sports Illustrated.
    It was 20 years ago they last won the Super Bowl; it seems like even longer than that.

The Lester article seems like a bunch of baloney. I’m really glad the Giants “lost” on that bid.

• Flavor said, on January 6, 2015 at 6:24 pm

that’s why I laughed at Jed’s dumbass comment about it being “Super Bowl or bust” here. Dude, wake up, we haven’t won a SB in 2 freaking decades……

24. zumiee said, on January 6, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Nice quote from Grant Brisbee:
    “Kershaw won the WAR, but Bumgarner won the war.”

25. Flavor said, on January 6, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Stuart Scott’s first broadcast back in ’93. Some good stuff here about the Giants, too

• zumiee said, on January 6, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Very cool!
      And seeing Olbermann from ’93 is a trip.

• Flavor said, on January 6, 2015 at 6:23 pm

He was a dick even back then. He shhhh’ed Scott down like a teacher in detention after seeing a couple students talking……

• snarkk said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:17 pm

At 1:10 into the clip you can see the current HC of the Dubs for about 5 seconds…

26. paulinasia said, on January 6, 2015 at 7:03 pm

The Giants really are in no position to be trading any player who currently holds down … a position. Meaning, Panik. No, he will likely not be a HOFer, but he’s shown that he can handle 2B, so that’s one less concern for the moment. The downgrade at 3B, without adding a somewhat top-notch LFer (is Zobrist considered top notch?), is likely a concern. Now they have to find another starting pitcher (which they should have been looking for anyway). Agree with Loo, Hudson likely ain’t going to give ’em much this year. “Back in” on Shields? Also seemingly not likely. Bring back Voggie now? Um….. eek. Now is the time of year when Sabean really earns his bucks. And in Sabean I do still trust.

27. snarkk said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Excuse me about not being excited to possibly get Zobrist, a soon to be 34 year old dude as a utility player. Just not into guys nearing 35 and being counted on for a lot of play and production. I think I’d rather let Duffy get some rope and see what he does with it until close to the deadline. The kid can hit. Trading Susac makes no sense to me. The kid showed promise and pop. He can play at the MLB level at what looks like far beyond the level of Whiteside and Stewart. I would not trade that asset…

• DJLoo said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Wouldn’t hurt Duffy to hit the weight room…

28. willedav said, on January 6, 2015 at 8:47 pm

In no way do I advocate trading Susac or Panik, esp for Zobrist, whom I definitely think helps SF a lot. Whether they are proven mlers, after 250 ABs for Panik and less than 100 for Susac, imo is up in the air.
    What I am saying is that since FAs are basically gone, trading for an improvement in LF, CF or an SP, unless you like 500 ABs from Blanco and having Hudson and Lincecum both as part of your rotation, is going to cost something beyond Adrianza and Duvall. If it takes a prospect or two it’s up to Sabes and Co. to figure out who or what he can live without in order to upgrade the current roster.
    Otherwise it’s back to dumpster diving ala MacG.