The Aubrey Huff Award

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 7, 2015

Who will win this year’s Aubrey Huff Award? You know, the award given to the player who was an invaluable cog in our World Series machine only to do absolutely nada the following year.

Of course, Huff himself won the inaugural award back in 2011. Marco Scutaro won in 2013. Who will win in 2015?

Without further ado, I proudly present this year’s nominees:

1) Tim Hudson

2) Jake Peavy

3) Juan Perez

4) Travis Ishikawa

Sorry I couldn’t put this in voting form, wordpress seems to have either hid or done away with the voting feature.

Who are you voting for and why?

1. willedav said, on January 7, 2015 at 8:18 am

Thx for the deadspin link to Stuart Scott’s first broadcast.
    Did bring up bad memories of the f-ing rockies epic laydown vs. Braves that year. Sure Pads handed them McGriff, but had Rox managed 1 W vs. braves entire season like they did vs. Torres in last week…
    Kind of funny to see Smoltz and Piazza in less than flattering moments.

Tough to say how much run Ishi will get other than PH duties. I’d still be interested to see if Juan Perez can actually play, especially if Pagan’s health is day to day thing.

Unc makes a pretty good point about shoring up the OF. In playoffs with Bum mowing everyone down as SP and out of the pen Giants survived with Blanco Perez Ishi starting 2 OF spots. Reg season, no.

2. gianthead said, on January 7, 2015 at 8:51 am

I would be shocked shocked of Juan Perez made the team if we add Zobrist or another left-fielder. But Perez still remains the worst hitter I have ever seen on person. Still shocked shocked he had that huge hit in the World Series Game 5….

So since I don’t think he will be on the team, he can’t be a nominee for the Aubrey Huff Award.

So I fear with this late bone spur surgery that the answer will be Tim Hudson. Should Lincecum be on this list or the bad 2014 make him ineligible????

• gianthead said, on January 7, 2015 at 8:54 am

I hate this spell checker…not on but in!!!

3. salty said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:27 am

Difference with Perez and Ishi is they weren’t rewarded with a big contracts. And I don’t think anyone has expectations this year of major contributions from them.

Hudson is expected to retire after this year. Expectations are modest going into 2015.

Peavy on the other hand, is signed for 24m, so he best fits the criteria for a huff/scutaro scenario. imo.

4. salty said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:42 am

Romo would be another with his cool 2 yr deal. His elbow seems so vulnerable throwing the slider.

• gianthead said, on January 7, 2015 at 2:43 pm

I am changing my vote to Romo….thanks Salt…

5. zumiee said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:44 am

Maybe we’ll be delighted with no Huff award winner this year. But it’s entirely possible that at least Hudson or Peavy drops off big-time this season. I would say Peavy has a better chance of doing badly early in the season than Hudson. I think Hudson will probably do like last season: good first half, fade in the second half.
    I’d be happy with .500 seasons from both Hudson and Peavy. We need a good bounce-back season from Cain, and Bum to continue doing what he’s doing. Lincecum? Ah, Lincecum. We need a baseball miracle. But, I could see he and Petit switching roles at some point in the season. I think Lincecum could be decent as a long reliever, and extend his career by being a bullpen guy. It’s not how he envisioned the latter part of his career, but it’s gotten real difficult for him to make it through a lineup multiple times.

6. zumiee said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:59 am

I’ve been reading a Hank Greenberg biography that came out about a couple of years ago. He was a dominant player in his time, and is not well known these days, outside of the Jewish community. He helped the Tigers win the World Series twice. He endured a lot of racism and prejudice, especially early in his baseball career, but he stood up under it, and still had a Hall of Fame career. He gave up several prime years of his baseball career to serve in the military, as many other ballplayers in the past did.

There’s a Giants connection- Greenberg was GM of the Cleveland Indians during the ’50s, when the Giants defeated the Indians in the ’54 Series.

7. zumiee said, on January 7, 2015 at 10:19 am

Dodger fans remembering Pedro Martinez, and getting philosophical about it:

Reading the articles and seeing photos of Pedro in a Dodger uniform the last couple of days have felt like somebody’s stuck a knife
    in my heart and is twisting it. I thought that trade could be a bad one the day it happened.

by Freddy V on Jan 6, 2015 | 2:32 PM

Pedro alone is probably the biggest reason the Dodgers have not been to a World Series in 26 years.
    Not having the money to sign the players that Logan White drafted in the 21st century is probably the second biggest reason.

Patience is for those who die waiting for something to happen

by Phil Gurnee on Jan 6, 2015 | 2:52 PM

8. stickman said, on January 7, 2015 at 11:07 am

Seeing as Dan Haren has made it loud and clear that he does not wanna pitch for the Fish and far from his family in SoCal, perhaps the Giants will make a move on him. Last season for the LaBumbos he finished with an ERA of slightly over 4.0, which is generally thought adequate for a fifth starter. With all the uncertainty about Hudson’s ankle, Lincecum’s inability to get through 5 and lingering questions about Cain’s post-surgery situation; the Giants could use the depth. A C+ minor league starting prospect plus perhaps a pipeline position player throw-in could get the job done.

9. ewisco said, on January 7, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I don’t think Haren is going to make a difference if Cain and Hudson and Peavy aren’t getting it done. if he was a FA i might take a flyer on him but i can’t see trading more than a bag of potatoes for him. as folks were arguing earlier, sign vogey and you get the same thing essentially without trading anything. also no knowing if mrs. harden is nicole class. Not amused to see Hudson’s bone spurs crop up this late in the offseason. he said somewhere that he knew he had them and when they did the ankle surgery decided not to take care of them then as to not complicate things. if that’s your approach, why not have a schedule date for the first good opportunity to get in and take care of it. you know you’re going to have to do it at some point as he said they were bothering him starting mid-season. is this another example of the fabulous giant med team or was this a buddy decision? I also want to echo someone’s earlier comment that to truly represent the ideals and achievements of AH, you would have needed to sign a big 2 year contract first, then fall into the abyss.

10. Irish Kevin said, on January 7, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I have to go with Hudson, 40 years old, he should do us all a favor and just retire! 😱😱

• Alleykat said, on January 7, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Problem is Kevin, no player thinks of retiring when a club owes them dough.
      Hudson’s not gonna lose that, just like Scoots, though I heard Sabes is gonna release Scoots tomorrow, but of course is dough is still owed.

• DJLoo said, on January 7, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Hope it’s raining out…

11. snarkk said, on January 7, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Can I vote for all of ’em?…

12. snarkk said, on January 7, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I think it’s pretty clear that SF needs another starter. Maybe Sabes is waiting for somebody to pop in STraining and make the decision for him…

13. Alleykat said, on January 7, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Can we have a poll for short time sucks balls in a Giant uni?
    My 3..Dan Uggla,Ryan Garko & and of corse my favorite Todd Welenmeyer👎

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 7, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Gotta be Uggla but he strikes me as more of a teabagger ;).

• DJLoo said, on January 7, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Ricky Ledee.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 7, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Like snarkk I am tempted to go with all of them but if Ishikawa ends up being solid off the bench, which I suspect he will be, then I wouldn’t put him in the running for the AH15 award. I think Perez will turn the corner this year. Just my hunch/irrational hope. That leaves Peavy and Hudson. Tough call there. I’ll go with Hudson. Lopez as an honorable mention.

15. unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Scott Hattieberg?

16. unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Heisenberg?

• Flavor said, on January 7, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Hindenburg.

• DJLoo said, on January 7, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Hatteberg never played for the the Giants. Are you thinking of Hillenbrand? He sucked, but not in a historic way.

The Hindenburg exploded on Willie Mays’ 6th birthday. I wonder if he remembers hearing about it.
        Two days later War Admiral won the Kentucky Derby on his way to the Triple Crown.

• unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Yeah, hillenbrand. Thanks, Loo.

ermine stem met always comes toons.

• unca_chuck said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Damn. When I post without looking apple autocorrect comes up with some crazy shit.

That’s supposed to say Rennie Stennet comes to mind.

• DJLoo said, on January 8, 2015 at 3:47 am

I actually thought you were commenting on the Hindenburg in German, Chuck…

17. paulinasia said, on January 7, 2015 at 6:22 pm

If Sabes doesn’t add another starter, it’s impossible to know at this time how it will go in 2015. Bum will be Bum; Cain could be a stud finally being pain free; Peavy and Hudson could do their yeoman’s work again; and Petit or Timmy could have decent years. I could see all of that. *Could*. Would also not be surprised to see 3/5ths of that rotation suck balls. Hence, kinda hoping for another near-front-line starter. My biggest concern if he doesn’t? That he’s just “standing pat” after another championship, which historically has led to this every other even year stuff. That goes for adding another top OFer as well. Otherwise, Ishi will certainly get his chance to either shine or get the Huff award, which we really don’t want to see….

18. Macdog said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:02 pm

At least we know Ishi can handle playing an unfamiliar position a bit better than Huff did.

• paulinasia said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Indeed. Whoa. Huff at 2B, that was…. funny…..

19. Alleykat said, on January 7, 2015 at 9:42 pm

It was better to have no 2nd basemen then have Huff there!

20. eddacker said, on January 7, 2015 at 11:55 pm

So, Letterman has the HOF newest inductees on doing the top ten. Randy Johnson: “Guess they forgot about me killing that bird.”
    hahaha