Waiting, Nothing….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 8, 2015

No new Giants news to speak of. If you want to know how long it’s been since we heard anything meaningful about the team, consider this: the last time we heard Giants news the current BBOTD was a sophomore in college. She’s still waiting….

Regarding the pitching, the Giants must be ready to go all-in on Yuzzie-Pet spot starts. Nothing else explains the lack of action.

It’s hard to stay positive about the upcoming year when all Sabean has done is bring back the old guys. We’ve seen how this has gone twice now. I don’t know if it’s bad luck of post-championship complacency, but bringing back the exact same team (and in this case it’s minus Pablo, plus McGehee) is not a recipe for repeating…..

1. willedav said, on January 8, 2015 at 8:25 am

I was thinking about what current LU would look like, plus rotation, if this is all Sabes does.
    Not a pretty sight.
    Projections (guesses, sure no matter how educated) have MacG and Panik BAs and OBs dropping 30 plus points. Neither of above have shown much pop and I don’t see either as legit top 6 order hitters.
    Blanco for Morse in LF adds another low .700 OPS guy to LU. Since he can’t hit leadoff, this is another bottom order bat—if Pagan isn’t 500 AB plus guy, that’s way too many of them.

Too bad, because other teams have added offense. Pads sure did, tho their OF is a gamble. LA might have added by subtraction, esp if the kid Peterson fulfills projections. Even a guy I’ve bagged on like Marlon Byrd would have been a plus for the LU, legit middle order bat around Pence Posey Belt.

I’m not as down on Hudson as others. The injury is something he worked around last year and doesn’t affect his arm. Keep close eye on IP and I think he is at least as good as last year. Healthy Belt will make difference to team D behind him, and I just think he knows himself and what he is doing.
    And yeah, I hope Petit gets as many starts as possible, and Strickland settles in as one more RH set up guy.
    But again, there was a lot of pitching available this year. Sabes must be confident his young (and cheap plus controllable) guys can help soon.

2. willedav said, on January 8, 2015 at 8:41 am

Next month or so is my fav time of year for b-ball.
    Colleges are into league play, though Cal looks awful and Pac 12 is vey top heavy.
    Other conference rivalries heat up and there is plenty to watch on various channels.
    Dubs, of course, are rolling and Bogut is being brought back slowly.

A buddy of mine who is retired helps me coach rec league team and still does Asian traveling club team ball. btw us there are a half dozen local high schools with players we know and have coached before. This week marks start of HS league games, so this Friday I’ll go catch a game or two at gym where I played in the 60s. Friday in local schools they have 4 games, 2 JVs and 2 Varsity all in same gym, so you can see as much as you want for a few bucks.
    If I want I can BS with parents and help cheer on their kids through good and bad, plus coach from the stands–which is a lot easier than being on sidelines in middle of the action.
    Fun times.

3. eddacker said, on January 8, 2015 at 9:08 am

I was thinking on this same subject, flavor. I am not very clever about this hot stove stuff but it seems the Giants are not the type to make a big name, rabbit out of the hat deal that would wow everyone. And yet many (can I say ‘many’?) second tier gap fillers and many free agents are being moved. none here, sorry Casey.

My dream would be that the Phillies are so close to a deal for Hamels to the gmen that they picked up Harang to sweeten the pot. They really want to share that cash pot Sabean is sitting on and not as interested in prospects for this trade. We bolster the rotation and have a little more insurance if hudson has a slow recovery.

I will admit I have an active imagination. But not as active as the one that came up with our lady in white over in the BBOTD room.

4. paulinasia said, on January 8, 2015 at 9:29 am

“Standing pat” has generally led to “bad penny year”….

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2015 at 9:44 am

HAHA, hopefully the club isn’t “leaking oil” in April.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 8, 2015 at 9:45 am

I’m assuming that management sees something in a minor league arm that nobody else sees. It makes me feel better about it.

6. stickman said, on January 8, 2015 at 10:02 am

Again, Flav, you have hit on a topic which has been high on the minds of most Giants fans. Yeah, what gives with this standing pat stance after yet another Championship? As other posters point out, we are NOT stronger now than at the end of October. If Sabean was living up here in the Northwoods of Minnesota where our AVERAGE windshield factor was about 40 below zero yesterday, i could understand where he might take such a glacial approach. The waiting IS getting old. How much in prospects would Zobrist cost? Seems like he has become something of a last resort now that Byrd and Harang have been snapped up. That gives Tampax Bay leverage. Not a good prospect.

No action on an outfielder means we need to quickly get a fully recovered Mac Williamson (maybe, but not quickly projectable). Same, same with Blach and Blackburn on the starter void. Maybe the development people and scouts told Sabes they are good to go. Saying that with my fingers crossed.

7. salty said, on January 8, 2015 at 10:05 am

With 3 in 5, I’m not fretting in the least over what happens this year. Trust Sabean and Co will do what they can.

And if it isn’t there, cest LA vie.

I would rather they stand pat than overreact and do something out of desperation that haunts them for years. Failed to land Tomas Pablo and Lester, and the rest of the field is just not that exciting for the money and players it would take.
    They should be reluctant to give up top prospects to add a piece like Zobrist.
    And I don’t blame them for backing off on 5/110 for Shields. Or gutting the farm for Hamels.
    Hudson should be back. Bone spur is akin to having your hamate bone taken out.
    See how things go and maybe at the deadline you grab a pitcher.
    The moves made at the deadline have been key in their 3 titles. And by then, rooks might emerge as they did last yr.

• Chipower9 said, on January 8, 2015 at 1:01 pm

I am with you Salt. No way I am dooming at this point. And there is still time to make a move if Sabes is so inclined, but I am not tripping on it if he does not.

8. wilcojoe said, on January 8, 2015 at 10:28 am

I almost feel like the brain trust knows they can get away with a falloff every odd year as they can still pack the house based on last years title. Just look at the promotions for 2015 which will be all about 2014’s title. I am sure there will even be “3 in 5” type promos going into September. Sabean et al, literally can sit back and bask until the 2015 season comes to an end. From a business perspective, I can’t say I blame them.

• zumiee said, on January 8, 2015 at 10:57 am

I’m perfectly happy winning the World Series every other year. 🙂

• willedav said, on January 8, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Sure, basking is fun but man there was a lot singing the blues in the odd years.
      As Flav mentioned, the total implode of Huff, dumpster diving in IF with Tejada and rotation (Wellemyer Sadowski Iron Head), the Prez, demise of Glass Sanchez and Johnny Sanchez, et al. You could have a full 25 man roster of guys who didn’t pan out and were hard to watch in odd years…maybe another thread waiting to happen, your worst nightmares returning to the fold.

• Chipower9 said, on January 8, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Winning three in five, when ALL I wanted was ONE in my lifetime, I really don’t give a fuck. Sure, I would love to see them compete and break that every other year bullshit, and go back-to-back, but am not tripping on it.

9. DJLoo said, on January 8, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Sabean’s off season ends at the trade deadline…

10. snarkk said, on January 8, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I’m with Dirt – they must be hoping for minor league help at starter from somewhere outta the blue . Or, the Sabes MO of waiting to see what happens through June, then make a move before the deadline for a starter just like he did for Peavy. I’m not fretting too much about the non-moves. He’ll probably make a minor roster move of some sort at end of ST, too.

11. Chipower9 said, on January 8, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I went to Raley Field yesterday and caught the THREE oracles. What a beautiful thing to see three of those bad boys all lined-up. I will try to get my pictures downloaded, and send a few to Flavor to post in the Flap photo bucket. Basking away…

• zumiee said, on January 8, 2015 at 1:26 pm

I saw some footage of the event on my local news last night. Very cool. The broadcast mentioned that the trophies are made of sterling silver, and they each weigh 30 pounds, which is pretty darned hefty.

12. zumiee said, on January 8, 2015 at 1:50 pm

I’d like to think that winning a World Series is the driving force for all players in MLB, but the reality is they want to make the most money they can, too. And the money is probably the driving force for the vast majority of them. So, even winning the 3-in-5 is not the big draw for other players to come to SF that I’d like to hope it is.

13. James said, on January 8, 2015 at 2:45 pm

If the Giants are out of the playoff picture by the end of July, my quality of life will be diminished, and I’ll be extremely pissed and resentful. I love baseball, but watching a non-contending team is tedious and depressing. 3 in 5 won’t help any more than 5 Super Bowl rings made watching Jeff Garcia et al palatable.

No moves any of these clubs makes has to haunt them for years.

Loo, the FLew photo is now on my desk at work. The enigmatic signature befits this complex and misunderstood figure in Giants history.

• DJLoo said, on January 8, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I though it would’ve taken a week just to get through the bubble wrap, James…

14. Berdj Rassam said, on January 8, 2015 at 2:47 pm

We’ve heard for many years now that offensive players don’t want to play at AT&T and hence the Giants are typically unsuccessful in signing offensive free agents. But why the terrible results this post-season on signing quality starting pitching? We have the money due to not signing Sandoval. Is management not spending it, and hiding this fact from the public, or do we feel that there are some trades that will address starting pitching out on the horizon, or maybe even some arms in the minors waiting to be developed and brought up in the next year or 2?

15. unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2015 at 3:13 pm

DJ’s 12:14 post nailed it. Fretting now may be all well and good, but every team has morphed over the course of the season, and this one is likely to follow suit. Shit, Hudson and Peavy could both be gone come July. Pagan could be a casualty as well. Seeing as it has rarely been Sabean’s style to make a big winter splash, expecting one now is a little far fetched.

For the price of Zobrist, I’d be shying away myself. The price of these FAs is ludicrous. Better to watch the shit from the sidelines for now.

16. unca_chuck said, on January 8, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Zumie, guys like Hudson and Peavy specifically said they came here because of the chance for postseason play. I guess that issnt a big priority for some of these guys.

17. Irish Kevin said, on January 8, 2015 at 3:44 pm

My son’s GF got me the book Champions Together. This is on the back of the book.

NEVER COUNT OUT THE GIANTS
    Not with two strikes, not with two outs, not in the bottom of the ninth, not when injuries hit. Never in elimination games. Not with Bochy and Sabean’s brain trust.not with Posey, Pence, Pablo, Panik, and Pagan, and not with the Brandons, and not with a dugout filled with gamers who step in and step up. Don’t ever count out the Giants. Not with starters who deliver and the most clutch bullpen in the bigs. Not with Madbum. And not with the best fans in baseball.
    The 2014 San Francisco Giants exemplified everything that is right and good about baseball and proved what a team — players, coaches, front office, and fans — can achieve with commitment, grit, and the unwavering belief that Together we’re Giants.

Brought tears to my eyes

• stickman said, on January 8, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Jeeze Kevin. Here i thought i was a Polly. Nice read.

18. salty said, on January 8, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Having made it through the lean years in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and the crummy yr’s following Bonds exit without one single championship to reflect on, I think it’s easier to accept an off-year here and there having won 3. I love the game and it can be soul crushing, but in retrospect, it only makes one appreciate the good times even more.

But I do think this team is strong enough as is to at least contend to the deadline. There are no guarantees even with Zobrist and Shields. Buster or Bumgarner goes down…….

19. stickman said, on January 8, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Intriguing: Owed $13M for next season and then due for Free Agency, with a couple of young outfielders champing at the bit, Boston may be quite motivated to move the Flying Hawaiian. Out with back problems for most of last season and 34 years old, the Red Sox might just be ready to move Shane Victorino. Because of his situation and their need to pare down their payroll because of the probability of the Luxury Tax; it is possible Baaahstin may be willing to part with this guy. They are looking for a hard-throwing lefty reliever. Affeldt is no-go in that respect and even Strickland just might project higher value in a one for one. As financial relief is the Sox’ big issue, Victorino, who appears to be past his immediate back problem, might be intriguing possibility who could come as a relative bargain.

Betcha Sabes has his ears to the ground on this one and has had some talks with his scouts ~ and likely his medical advisors.

20. James said, on January 8, 2015 at 5:37 pm

“I though it would’ve taken a week just to get through the bubble wrap, James…”

Enough to cover the furniture for Belt’s 30th HR next summer.

21. James said, on January 8, 2015 at 5:48 pm

The big difference between the team that won 88 games last year and the decidedly non-contending 2013 outfit was mostly Hudson, Peavey, and an improved, but still below average Vogey.

There are no guarantees and there is no magic formula. I’d prefer to up the odds that the team will contend by having better/less risky players on the roster going into the season.

22. paulinasia said, on January 8, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Someone here referred to a *truism* that seasons are won with strong starts and strong finishes. That’s how the Giants won it last year. Agree that it’d be nice to be a bit more fully loaded starting the season. Otherwise, by early June, Sabean might be tempted to bring out his “bad penny year” quote again. Obviously the team, no team, is going to win it all every year. But I do hope management isn’t so content with this every other year stuff. The way LA and SD reloaded, I expect them to charge from the gate. So far, I don’t see a Giants team ready to do that. Just an observation that Sabean cannot possibly be comfortable or done yet.

23. pawliekokonuts said, on January 8, 2015 at 7:42 pm

IrishKevin, I like your 3:44 post. I have the book in front of me. A handsome keepsake. BTW, on the back cover who is that on the lower left kissing a baseball?

24. zumiee said, on January 9, 2015 at 12:19 am

Nice statue of Hank Greenberg at Detroit’s ballpark. Interesting attempt to show the flight of the ball off the bat. Not sure it works, though.

25. zumiee said, on January 9, 2015 at 12:31 am

Statue of Charlie Gehringer in Detroit’s ballpark, photo shot from a quirky angle, with the Greenberg statue visible next to it. Interesting decision to put the statues inside the ballpark. Quite different than AT&T Park, of course, where all the statues are outside the ballpark, which I think is better, where all the public can experience the statues.
    Gehringer statue:

26. Big dog said, on January 9, 2015 at 6:12 pm

I’m totally all in for winning every other year. Given the state of inactivity from Brian “nobrain” Sabean. A GM who has benefitted from our HOF coach BB (hence why he was crying in his box when we won the NLCS as he couldn’t believe his dumb luck) I don’t have to spend a dime on the Giants this season (especially as Larry Baer will continue to make concession prices the highest in the bigs). Instead I look forward to 2016. Wake up people. The ownership wants their dividend. Do the payroll math and the payroll is actually lower than last year. Remember ownership was going to spend $20m on the doughnut king…