Lowering Expectations

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 9, 2015

I can’t believe I’ve spent a second wondering about the possibility of getting Ben Zobrist. Of course we aren’t getting Zobrist. There are other teams interested. When does Sabean ever compete for a player via trade? The last one might have been Carlos Beltran. So while he’s done it, he doesn’t do it very often. He’s not into competing. Sabean is a lone wolf….

Makes it all the more remarkable that we got Hunter Pence for Tommy Joseph and Nate Schierholz. How the hell did he pull that off?

1. gianthead said, on January 9, 2015 at 7:12 am

That is my main concern about trading for Hamels. The Phillies and Amaro got so burned that he may tuck his tail and never talk to Sabean about a deal.

What I don’t get as we approach 30 days for catchers and pitchers to report is how does Scherzer and Boras find themselves this far out without a deal. Is he kicking himself for not taking the original Tigers deal??? Boras is all about Boras and I would be pissed if I were Scherzer sitting here on Jan. 9 holding my balls.

And I don’t buy that crock that Shields had/has a $110 mill offer on the table. If he did, he would have jumped off a bridge to sign that…

2. Nipper said, on January 9, 2015 at 7:12 am

After building three World Champs, Sabean does it his way. Patience, patience, patience and then pounce! Must be another mountain lion sighting. It’s in my brain.

• DJLoo said, on January 9, 2015 at 7:29 am

YES! YES! YES!

• willedav said, on January 9, 2015 at 8:34 am

Fortune cookie waiting to happen.
        Some enterprising editor should come up with haiku anthology of classic Nip posts.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 9, 2015 at 7:52 am

Pence rolling into AT&T after the trade like a late entry at Wrestlemania™ was pretty awesome.

4. willedav said, on January 9, 2015 at 8:29 am

That was second trade of Pence and I’m sure both teams would love to have him back though I think Astros made out well in the deal.
    I remember reading blog posts from Phils fans that thought his high rbi numbers were suspect because he didn’t cash in often enough.
    And even though Giants won it in 2012 Pence hit .219 for them after he got here. I really didn’t think he would pan out near as well as he has.

5. zumiee said, on January 9, 2015 at 8:36 am

I just looked up Tommy Joseph’s stats; he turns 24 this July, and he seems stalled at AA. The Giants were fortunate to have depth at catcher in the minors.

6. zumiee said, on January 9, 2015 at 8:48 am

The Phillies were probably an odd fit for Pence. They had a veteran core that had been together for so long; he probably felt on the outside looking in. Not able to go into Rev mode.

Watching some of Rollins’s press conference the other day…..clearly he wants to help make big improvements in Dodger team chemistry. He said things like “I want to be the glue that holds everything together.”
    It’ll be interesting to see what happens with his relationship with the Dodgers, because there’s actually a possibility that he’s a lame duck, just playing one season while the Dodgers groom his replacement, Seager, unless the Dodgers decide to switch Seager to thirdbase, in which case, Uribe becomes the lame duck. And good luck trying to build team chemistry for a GM who’s a Beane clone. Players are supposed to have great chemistry together, when the GM might trade anybody at any time? How does THAT work?

• willedav said, on January 9, 2015 at 9:04 am

I think the idea in theory is a good move for LA and dumping off me first guys like Kemp and Hanley could be addition by subtraction to give the Peterson kid a full shot at CF. I think Mattingly went to mgmt. (also new) and said Hanley is done as SS anyway (and they already have too many OFs) and he and Kemp are part of the problem, not the solution.
      Rollins talking up all the team stuff…well, see how that works. But no denying dodgers have plenty enough talent to win division again. I think both them and SD have clearly done well in off season.

• zumiee said, on January 9, 2015 at 9:16 am

Yeah, one of the many interesting things about the Giants winning it all again in ’14 was that the Dodgers decided they needed to blow things up. And no one expected San Diego to get as aggressive as they were in the off-season. The Dodgers open their season against the Padres. Kemp vs. Kershaw on opening day. That’s a fun match-up.
        I have the wacky theory that more balance in the division is good for the Giants. It keeps the Dodgers from beating up so much on the SD/AZ/Col triad like they did last season.

• James said, on January 9, 2015 at 9:41 am

If Kershaw pitches poorly in the playoffs again, Jimmy better have some extra special magic potions lined up.

7. zumiee said, on January 9, 2015 at 9:03 am

Our Cardinal blog friend did a nice job on a summation of the Cardinal ’14 season:

8. Alleykat said, on January 9, 2015 at 11:48 am

I think regarding Pence it was just a salary dump.First the lowly Astros cause their like the A’s always dumping players for prospects before their due the big coin.
    And with the Phils they weren’t going anywhere but down and they had the big contracts of Howard, Utley,& Rollins etc, so Sabes was ready to swoop in and the Phils bit for cheaper players.

9. Chipower9 said, on January 9, 2015 at 3:10 pm

And in other news today, Kickham DFA’s by Da Cubs.

Only 41 days until pitchers and catchers report.

10. DJLoo said, on January 9, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Obscure statistic for a slow day:

The 3 Alou brothers outhit the 3 DiMaggio brothers 5024 to 4853.

• Alleykat said, on January 9, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Impressive Loo👍
      Throw in Joe’s extra hits with Marylin Monroe,and his Mr.Coffee gig, brings Dom’s totals further down in numbers.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 9, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Where do you get this stuff?

• DJLoo said, on January 9, 2015 at 8:14 pm

I make it up, Pawlie…

11. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Joe, Dom, and ???

12. zumiee said, on January 9, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Vince DiMaggio’s best season was with the Pirates in ’41. .267/21/100
    He struck out a lot for his era, and his era made a big deal about batters’ strikeouts.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on January 9, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Asked this yesterday: anyone know who is kissing a baseball on the back cover, lower left, of CHAMPIONS TOGETHER?

14. pawliekokonuts said, on January 9, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Just saw “Inherent Vice.” Rather liked it. But remember, I’m the guy who did not like “Bird Man.”

• xoot said, on January 9, 2015 at 8:46 pm

I plan to see IV tomorrow after I have one of those pupil dilation eye exams (not a euphemism). I really enjoyed the novel. I like the accessible Pynchon stuff–Vineland, Crying OL49, Inherent Vice, Bleeding Edge. I also really admired his appearance on the Simpsons.

• Macdog said, on January 9, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Rod Taylor, probably most famous for “The Birds,” died yesterday. I didn’t know he also was the voice of Pongo in “101 Dalmatians.”

• DJLoo said, on January 9, 2015 at 9:12 pm

How could you not like Birdman???

15. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Pawliw did u American hustle? Looks a bit like IV.

16. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2015 at 10:35 pm

What killed me is Christian Bale was the spitting image of my brother in law in that movie. I mean identical. Crazy.

17. unca_chuck said, on January 9, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Went to the dub game tonight. Class move by the dub fans for giving mark Jackson a standing o when noted as being the espn announcer for the game. Told my son a year ago Kerr was in the chair announcing, and Jackson was coaching.

18. DJLoo said, on January 10, 2015 at 7:27 am

Happy 77th, Willie McCovey!!!

19. willedav said, on January 10, 2015 at 8:11 am

Pretty solid group of players from 60s Mobile-Birmingham Alabama area: Mays, Mac, Aaron and Billy Williams.
    Williams used to torture the Giants too. Mays of course had his famous 4 HR game right in Aaron’s back yard at County Stadium.

I’d like to echo Zum’s take on DiMaggio brothers book. Really good read that starts with the family first coming over to California from the Old Country and goes into sons’ careers and personal issues off the field. No idea Dom was such a good ballplayer.

It would be neat to see someone write up the Alou brothers. Jesus, who writers always referred to in print as “Jay”, might have been least successful but definitely most fun to watch in the batters box.
    One of them (Felipe maybe?) had quite a large family and I’m surprised that none of any of the Alous beside Moises made it to bigs, though I could easily be wrong about that.

• DJLoo said, on January 10, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Cleon Jones & Tommie Agee also from the neighborhood, I think…

20. willedav said, on January 10, 2015 at 8:18 am

Also a lot of good local baseball history in DiMag Bros book; all of them played for SF Seals before being “purchased” by a big league club. PCL in those days was pretty hot stuff in California with teams up and down state in the days before Giants and Dodgers moved here.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on January 10, 2015 at 8:43 am

Happy birthday, Stretch.

I did like “American Hustle.” Similar theme as “Wolf of Wall Street” but better movie.

2 weeks till trophy in NYC.

22. unca_chuck said, on January 10, 2015 at 9:19 am

Yeah, Pawlie, I thought American Hustle was really good. Haven’t seen Wolf of Wall St. yet.

I clicked on Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and laughed . . .

23. Alleykat said, on January 10, 2015 at 10:37 am

Freakin Billy Beane wheelin and dealing again, and yes it’s Ben Zobrist& Escobar for Jaso and a couple minor league prospects. WTF we couldn’t come up with something similar to that?

24. Macdog said, on January 10, 2015 at 11:43 am

Any room on that Warriors bandwagon? Hoops in NYC may have hit an all-time low: The atrocious Knicks are losing by 40 at home to the Hornets — midway through the 3rd quarter — less than 24 hours after the Nets lost at home to the Sixers.

• gianthead said, on January 10, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Jump aboard the championship train…Macdog

25. gianthead said, on January 10, 2015 at 12:08 pm

I really did not care about Zobrist. Would not make much of a difference IMO. rays obviously wanted a catcher and probably was asking for Susac and Sabean rightly said FU.

back to Cody Ross? 😉

• Alleykat said, on January 10, 2015 at 1:55 pm

The killer is GH, the Rays aren’t getting a catcher. John Jaso due to his multiple concussions last year ( played 99 games and reports say he’s through catching)is just gonna be their DH. Hell we could of given them Hector Sanchez for that role, and prospects, not named Crick.
      Have to disagree with you that Zobrist wouldn’t have made a difference. His defense is solid where ever you put him, which is multiple positions, and being a Switchhitter is always a plus. He’s just a very versatile athlete, that would have fit our style of play IMO.

• Flavor said, on January 10, 2015 at 2:57 pm

As i said a couple of days ago, once there was competition for Zob, Sabes was peace-out.
        John Jaso is worth more than Hector, that’s not even debatable.

26. zumiee said, on January 10, 2015 at 5:24 pm

There’s an MLB Network documentary about Bochy and Flannery on Tuesday night. Here’s a promo for it:

• snarkk said, on January 10, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Nice little vignette.
      Could have done with about 1 minute less of that 1:10 or so intro by Bob Costas.
      Costas is just too sanctimonious for me…

• Nipper said, on January 11, 2015 at 5:06 am

He’s got good hair. And it’s colored too. No grey for him!

27. xoot said, on January 10, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Zobrist is the perfect one-year rental for the a’s, and they gave up a load of talent to get him. The Giants were smart not to trade their farm talent for a super utility man who fades in the PS. (Oddly, Zobrist’s PS stats are comparable to Posey’s except Z has about 1/4 as much PS experience. But I think we know why Posey wears down. Interesting recent Baseball Tonight article about Josh Donaldson, quoting him on the rigors of catching. He thinks moving to 3B made all the difference for him–no more pressure to handle the staff, etc, etc.)

I liked the movie version of Inherent Vice. It prompted me to research Joanna Newsom (woman who plays the part of the movie’s narrator). Just creating a Pandora radio station in her name opened up an entire world of contemporary folk music that I’d never heard of. wtf? Didn’t surprise me, however, to learn that she plays concerts at the Henry Miller Memorial Library in Big Sur. If you’ve never visited that particular place, you should.

• zumiee said, on January 10, 2015 at 9:11 pm

The A’s entire off-season seems silly to me. And I don’t think it’s good for baseball. I hope there aren’t going to be a lot of Beane-clone GMs out there in the future.

Contemporary folk is one of my favorite music categories! Great stuff!

• DJLoo said, on January 10, 2015 at 10:46 pm

I would say he has quite a few problems. His energy seems to go in the wrong places.

28. DJLoo said, on January 10, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I think The Flap is a combination of worldly intellectuals and alcoholic clowns who love the San Francisco Giants. Somehow it seems to work…

29. DJLoo said, on January 10, 2015 at 10:31 pm

PK: How are things shaping up for you as far as Finnerty’s in 2 weeks? I was hoping me you, Mac and anybody else from the Flap would hang with me after at my favorite Manhattan bar, Tracks, located in the bowels of Penn Station.