It’s Blackley Time!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 13, 2015

Yes, the rumors you heard are true. Travis Blackley does, in fact, have a minor league deal to join the Giants in spring training. And some of you thought Sabean would wait till the 2015 trade deadline to launch into activation mode.

Don’t you feel stupid now?

1. gianthead said, on January 13, 2015 at 11:05 am

I do..damn!

I was surprised with Ohio State’s dominating performance. Glad I stayed away from betting Oregon.

2. snarkk said, on January 13, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Who needs Lester when you have Blackley in your back pocket?…

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 13, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I’m looking forward to Vegemite™ night at the yard.

4. zumiee said, on January 13, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Blackley pitched 4 innings for the 2012 Giants; did he get a ring? I doubt it. He gave up 5 runs in those 4 innings. 5 runs in 4 innings is downright Kickham-esque.

5. zumiee said, on January 13, 2015 at 12:44 pm

“Wonder which stop, if any, Zumie will go to visit the triplets?”

Lots of possibilities.
    Leaning towards the Modesto visit on that.

• Alleykat said, on January 13, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Well you are a “Valley Girl oops Guy Zumie” 😄

6. Irish Kevin said, on January 13, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Oregon had a little trouble stopping the run?? ha ha, I heard this morning that the QB for Oregon stock dropped in the NFL draft. Not quite #1 anymore.

7. […] The rest of the article can be found here: THE San Francisco Giants Blog […]

8. James said, on January 13, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Larry Baer is a featured speaker at this year’s SABR conference. I knew it was the advanced statistical modeling all along!

• Alleykat said, on January 13, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Geez and i thought SABR meant:
      Sabean
      Announces
      Blackley’s
      Retiring

9. Macdog said, on January 13, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Division-wise, at least the Blackley signing is balanced by this: Reliever Jose Valverde has agreed to a minor league contract with the San Diego Padres.

10. zumiee said, on January 13, 2015 at 3:17 pm

As we ponder what the 2014 ring will look like….

11. zumiee said, on January 13, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Reaction in the Jerry Jones box when the Dez Bryant play was ruled not a touchdown. Awesomely classic.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 13, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Aaaaand there goes Christie’s White House aspirations.

• DJLoo said, on January 13, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Say what you want about Obama, he’ s the best president the Giants ever had. I wonder if they’ll just call him “Barry” for their 3rd visit…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 13, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I could see someone squeezing off an Obummer blast.

• Macdog said, on January 13, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Like I needed another reason to hate that fat fuck, do-nothing governor of Jersey.

• DJLoo said, on January 13, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Well, at least he’s not giving blowjobs at the Vince Lombardi rest stop…

• xoot said, on January 13, 2015 at 9:26 pm

I don’t pay too much attention to Christie, but doesn’t he do all sorts of self-aggrandizing or vindictive stuff? I always considered him a sort of over-achieving bully with a talent for ass kissing anyone he can’t bully–at the moment.

• xoot said, on January 13, 2015 at 9:30 pm

The Vince Lombardi rest stop featured noticeably in Richard Ford’s Independence Day, if I recall correctly.

12. snarkk said, on January 13, 2015 at 11:28 pm

I heard on KNBR that Ring #3 will be similar to the large-sized 2012 version. I like the 2010 ring very much. Stylish, works in the orange with the gold, NOT huge. The 2012 seems too silvery, and I’ve seen it on Marty Lurie — too darn big. If he puts the 2014 ring on the other hand, he’ll be able to do curls with each arm…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2015 at 8:41 am

Agree with your there. 2010 was definitely better. I think the design sort of reflects who was at the helm each year. Neukom was sort of an understated guy with style and the 2010 ring reflects that. Baer is sort of over the top in your face which I think is a good description of the 2012 ring. They should give Bumgarner final approval for the 2014 version as far as I am concerned.

13. zumiee said, on January 13, 2015 at 11:40 pm

The Bochy/Flannery documentary on the MLB Network has a lot of nice moments in it, and it put me in full bask-mode again. I recommend the show if you get a chance. I’m sure it’ll air some more times this week.

14. zumiee said, on January 13, 2015 at 11:48 pm

I read today that Mitch Williams was fired from the MLB Network back in May of 2014 because he got into a big altercation while coaching his 10 year old son’s little league team. He went off on the umps, and spewed profanity, and got kicked out of a tournament, and refused to leave the field for a while. You’d think he’d know better than to do something that stupid. And Williams is suing the MLB Network for wrongful termination of employment or something like that.
    Maybe this is all old news. I didn’t know any of this. I haven’t really missed him on the MLB Network.

• paulinasia said, on January 14, 2015 at 7:50 am

Yes he was, and apparently still is, an ass. In parts of my youth back east, I was a quasi-Phillies fan now and then, but that was in the Richie Allen/ Johny Calison / Tony Gonzales / Bunning and Short era. Williams’ team? I hated that early ’90s team that lost to the Jays. They probably would’ve been fun in a beer softball league, but they were clowns, for the most part, IMO. I loved it when Carter hit that HR off Williams to win it. Dude had this way of pointing his right foot in his delivery that just annoyed me to no end. Asshole.

15. eddacker said, on January 14, 2015 at 6:23 am

The Blackley move proves that the Giants’ staff is tirelessly searching near and far to bring that elusive talent, apparently so hard to find, into the roster; a perpetual machine of discovery, evaluation, consideration and securing signatures.
    Well done, lads.

• paulinasia said, on January 14, 2015 at 7:42 am

LOL, Ed….

16. pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2015 at 6:49 am

What a great time capsule The Flap is. I’m writing a thing about the 2010 WS but needed something fresh from that time. After searching the blog with the words “Edgar Renteria,” I kept rolling backwards to November 2010 by clicking the link for the previous thread in the upper left. I found some stuff I had written that helps. Wish I had kept better notes. Anyway, it is cool to get the real-time emotion, and to hear all the voices here — so many of them now absent. 2010. Man. Thanks.

17. paulinasia said, on January 14, 2015 at 7:55 am

Travis Blackley, armed and ready to go, huh. While they’re in full blown dumpster diving mode, why not Travis Bickle, I hear he’s available and also well armed…..

18. willedav said, on January 14, 2015 at 8:03 am

Edd’s got POTD nailed for a while, that’s really funny.
    I was gonna put up something about depth of the dumpster when this was reported.

Rent, though, along with Uribe, let go by White Sox, was quite a story. Toss in Huff, who Sabes signed after LaRoche spurned him, Andres Torres career year out of nowhere, and of course Burrell, let go by the Rays, couple more examples of Sabes Midas touch. Cody Ross, Lopez and Ramirez in the pen…
    Midas touch did fail him 2011, but oh well.

19. willedav said, on January 14, 2015 at 8:12 am

Stanford men b-ball at Cal, 2 teams that appear to be going in opposite direction.
    Rivalry games often produce surprising results though, and Cal will get a starter back from injury. Neither team very deep but Dawkins is getting more out of better players and some bench scoring too.
    Just disappointed that other than Utah and UA league doesn’t seem near as strong as indicated. Don’t know why coaches schedule so many cupcake home games, as these don’t get team ready for conference play. If you lose one, like Cal and UW did, you’ve dug yourself a hole to get into Tourney.

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2015 at 8:42 am

zum, I saw that Odd Couple show on MLB too. I thought it was good. Nice to see a little more of Bochy’s personality.

21. Flavor said, on January 14, 2015 at 8:58 am