Projected Line Up vs Projected Rotation: Which is Weaker?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 14, 2015

Krukow was on KNBR this morning in full-shill mode. He was asked what he would say to Giants fans who are questioning Sabean’s Winter-long hands sit and he replied simply: “Relax.”

He then went on to say he had confidence in Blanco due to the fact that he’s been a starting OF in the last 2 world series wins, that Juan Perez is still young and that he can use his success last year in the playoffs as a building block and that Casey McGehee is a “really good player.”His comments were making me laugh out loud alone in the car…….

But that got me to thinking, what is our greatest current area of need? Or put another way, where are we weakest?

Here’s the projected line up:

Pagan

Panik

Pence

Posey

Belt

McGehee

Crawford

Blanco

The Starting five project as Bum, Cain, Peavy, Lincecum and Huddy with Petit sprinkled in there somewhere…….

To me, the line up is the weakest link, especially when you factor in an injury that will happen. Because of Petit, the rotation could withstand one blow.

Thoughts?

1. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2015 at 9:18 am

I disagree. Pitching, pitching, pitching. Hudson, Peavy and I am sad to say Lincecum do not inspire confidence. Cain is an unknown and I while he kicks ass in the role he’s in, I don’t think Petit will do well as a full time SP. I actually don’t have much of a problem with Blanco. Only that I would prefer to see him in CF. He’s a better defender. Pagan can just suck it up and move to LF.

2. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2015 at 9:22 am

Yeah , the of is still a concern for me. Even healthy it’s pretty weak. Any injuries (Pagan) and we are scrambling again.

3. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2015 at 9:25 am

We need to hire Brett Butler (urk) or someone to teach Blanco how to drag bunt and hit down on the ball. His BA would go up dramatically if he did.

• snarkk said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:34 pm

But I thought we had Flan the bunt “guru” — he helped Blanco a lot, especially all those fake bunts that are so effective …

4. zumiee said, on January 14, 2015 at 9:27 am

I like Krukow, but it’s misleading for him to say that Blanco’s “been a starting OF in the last 2 world series wins,” because it completely ignores the importance of GETTING TO THE PLAYOFFS first, before you can win a World Series. In ’12, the Giants benefitted from a strong first half by the Melkman, and in ’14, they benefitted from strong first halfs (halves?) from Morse and Pagan. And what’s Blanco’s World Series and playoff stats on offense, anyway? I’m not going to look them up, but I don’t think they’re all that good. He’s a terrific 4th outfielder, who has made huge contributions to the Giants’ success, but he’s not a great option for a full-season starter.

• snarkk said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Awesome, zum, spot on…

5. zumiee said, on January 14, 2015 at 9:33 am

“zum, I saw that Odd Couple show on MLB too. I thought it was good. Nice to see a little more of Bochy’s personality.”

Yeah, Dirt, one of the interesting things was to get a closer look at his intensity during games. He’s got more edge to him than comes across in the TV game broadcasts.

6. pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2015 at 9:56 am

Even though temps are hovering just above zero and wintry conversation is supposed to be Hot Stove-ish, I just can’t worry, yet, about our lineup or rotation or anything. If Sabes & Bochy can pull a rabbit out of a metaphysical hat in 2014, they deserve my patience and trust. Can you imagine ME saying that?

7. James said, on January 14, 2015 at 11:13 am

As constructed, this looks like an 83-85 win team to me . . . if they get the same pitching as last year. I feel more confident about what to expect from each of the position players, barring catastrophic injuries. They’ll probably score somewhere between 620-640 runs. There’s only one starting pitcher I’d make any bets on.

8. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2015 at 11:23 am

Yeah, I caught that about 10 minutes in to the start of it. Bochy isn’t holding his tongue in the dugout.

Interesting thing was that Bochy fired Flan in SD. Didn’t know that. I also didn’t know that Flannery was so revered in SD. They put his kids through college? That’s pretty damn nice of them.

9. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2015 at 11:29 am

Well, the hope is Cain comes back like his 2012 self. Tim isn’t likely to be any great shakes, but he needs to be somewhere near .500. Maybe he can just pitch when they play SD! Peavy? Huddy? Both those guys showed stretches of solidness, provided they stay healthy.

I think the pitching will be good enough. The pen is still nails. The closer is fine.

Vogie to the Sherpas?

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2015 at 11:49 am

I just finished Baggs 2010 Band of Misfits and reread pawlie’s 2012 novella. The MLB Bochy special last night. Yeah, I guess I’m still basking.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2015 at 11:55 am

Cool. I am looking fwd to Bagg’s next book.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:12 pm

If anyone ever thinks I am BSing them about being witness to Sandovals 3 home run game I have documented proof. I liked how you went from person to person at the flap as the story progressed. Speaking of which where the hell is ted? Reminds me of a song from one of my favorite bands.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Ted is around, busy at work. He generously sent me Chrons, for the third time.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on January 14, 2015 at 11:54 am

I have a goofy theory that I am not smart enough to back up with stats. It goes like this: MLB increasingly has parity among teams. This will be markedly so in the NL West. That means our job actually gets easier because all the other teams are beating each other in a more balanced fashion. This translates to optimism. And if the Giants get into the postseason, their chances are … well, we already know how that works.

Chime in, girls.

• zumiee said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:06 pm

I don’t think that theory is goofy at all; in fact I totally agree with it. Sabean’s philosophy is to build a team for playoff success, and hope to get through the regular season and make the playoffs. The Dodgers, last season, for example, were built more for the regular season, so they crushed mediocre teams all season. They beat up on San Diego, Arizona, and Colorado. If those three teams can give the Dodgers better games, then that helps the Giants’ chances, in my opinion.

• zumiee said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:13 pm

An extreme example of this is the ’06 Cardinals, who won their division with an 83-79 record, I think, and went on to win the World Series.

• Chipower9 said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I think your theory is totally plausible Mr. Kokonuts.

12. snarkk said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Blanco is not a starter. Goes on long hitting droughts in a season. This lineup isn’t good enough to grind it with a LFer going 6 for 66 in the summer. Must improve LF…

• unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Either that, or learn to bunt/slap/ hit grounders to the left.

• snarkk said, on January 14, 2015 at 12:41 pm

He hasn’t learned it yet, ain’t happening …

• Chipower9 said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Agree…Blanco is NOT the answer as your everyday LFer…if he is, just fucking shoot me now.

13. Alleykat said, on January 14, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Maybe Blanco should just crowd the plate and take one for the team more..He could be the next Ron Hunt!!!!

14. gianthead said, on January 14, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Wtf are the Niners thinking if they promote their DL coach to head coach????

Would be even further proof of the incompetence of the York Regime…5 steps back…why are they not waiting to see if Josh McDaniel is available????

• Chipower9 said, on January 14, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Fuck McDaniels. No way in hell I want him as head coach. I wanted Fangio as the man. And perhaps second, Shanihan (Fangio said he would stick around with Shanihan as head coach). But to your point GH, the Yorks, er Dorks suck ass.

• gianthead said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I was not necessarily saying McDaniels was the only or best choice, but why make this hire instead of exploring all options????

• Chipower9 said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Becaue Jed York has his head burried up his ass so far, he will never see daylight. I am not sure the Niners will ever win another SB as long as the Dorks own the team, and unfortunately, that is probably not changing anytime soon.

15. Chipower9 said, on January 14, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Breaking news…it appears the next Niner head coach will be Tomsula.

• salty said, on January 14, 2015 at 2:59 pm

He’s supposedly a helluva “teacher” and motivator. Fangio has been coach so long, suggests he’s maybe he’s not really cut out for being HC and dealing with all the BS ie Media.

• Chipower9 said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:00 pm

So, Tomsuala is going to win you more football games than Harbaugh? Right…

16. zumiee said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:03 pm

There are exceptions, but I’m generally not a fan of picking ‘defense guys’ as headcoaches. They’re usually more conservative, happy to kick fieldgoals, and try to win 16-13.

17. Chipower9 said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Nice thread and good questions, Flav.

The bigger concern/weak link to me is the pitching staff.

I think Belt (IF he stays healhty) can fill some of that run production void left by Pablo.

The pitching staff – I hope like hell Cain comes back healthy and is “horse-like.” Hudson concerned be BEFORE the ankle situation, and Timmy is one big fucking question mark. I am not even convinced Peavy is going to be that great over the long haul. Petit could plug the dike for a while, but I sure like him better in a long-relief/spot start role.

18. gianthead said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Isn’t the Niner offense the part that his fucked up? So you promote a defense guy to head coach????? Did we already go down this road with Singletary????

• Chipower9 said, on January 14, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Yep. The D is one of the key factors to the Niner success. So, you keep Fangio.

You hire a smart, crack O-coordinator to fix what is fucked-up with the offense.

They also need to draft a QB (not with a high pick…I am thinking 3rd or 4th round, etc.). I am not convinced Kap is the guy for the long-haul.

19. DJLoo said, on January 14, 2015 at 5:13 pm

The Giants won the WS 11 weeks ago tonight. They play their final 2015 ST game in AZ 11 weeks from today.
    We’re at the nexus of the universe…

20. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2015 at 5:34 pm

I was thrilled when the talk was Adam Gase was going to be the new HC. A young innovative mind to wake up this sleeping offense.

I’m not too thrilled about Tomsula but whatever. Didn’t want to lose Fangio though. Problem is they need an OC and DC now. Talk is Trestman? Shoot me now. Eddie needs to remind Jed of something.

21. unca_chuck said, on January 14, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Chuck, what they’ve done so far doesn’t give me a hell of a lot of confidence they know what they are doing. Gase would have been a bold move. Tomsula wasn’t at all. They didn’t even interview him. WTF?

22. Nipper said, on January 14, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Flavor laughing to himself in the car has me concerned. Also not taking the thoughts of Kruk as the Gospel is worrisome. And little faith in Blanco, I don’t know about that! Remember this is the off season so “relax” as the great Kruk has stated.

23. zumiee said, on January 14, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I have zero interest in NASCAR, but it’s pretty funny that one of the drivers believes his ex-wife is an assassin, working for the government.

24. blade3colorado said, on January 14, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Hi all . . . Sounds like basking is an endangered “feeling” here . . . Almost like the old psychology joke –

“One behaviorist meets another one on the street. He says, “Hi. How am I feeling today?”

I am still in full bask mode and savoring the triplets or put another way – in agreement with Nipper. OH OH!

25. sportdude said, on January 14, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Lineup is the main concern IMO. Blanco is weak, Panick weak, Posey power declining. We will has the worst slugging in the league. Our offense was weak WITH Sandoval. With no changes i’d be shocked if we win 85 games.

26. willedav said, on January 15, 2015 at 7:01 am

One too many .700 OPS guys for me in the LU. Top 5 are OK, and I can understand Panik and Crawford as solid D middle IF aren’t going to hit much. But 3b and LF? Imo Sabes didn’t fix either, and the bench guys are the same old same old–Perez Ishi Arias Duffy. Susac was fine, but he’s still only had handful of ABs and isn’t likely to get all that many more either, unless Bochy finds him a regular fav of the SPs.

Rotation is more question marks too, biggest being Cain and Peavy. Hudson and Petit at back end (just say no to Lincecum days as SP) should be fine as 4/5 guys. But top 3 as match up for LA? We’ll see.

Basking is fine, til reg season starts. Then it’s old news.
    I actually hate all the “27” (number of their WS titles or something) talk from basking Yankees fans when everyone brings up how they suck now that is supposed to end all discussion.

Beat down from Stanford men b-ball last night–their top 3 guys just better than anything Cal has. Dropping home games, and Cal has lost last 2 in a row, not a good sign in league play.

• Flavor said, on January 15, 2015 at 8:48 am

Cal must really suck because the Cardinal looked horrendous in the 2nd half (and OT) in their loss to an underwhelming UCLA team.

• willedav said, on January 15, 2015 at 10:54 am

Yes they did, but had played well enough to sweep LA schools if Randle (80% shooter) hadn’t twice missed FTs. Too often they settle for J’s instead of going inside and running their sets. Backup bigs aren’t too good but the backup PG M. Allen might turn into something.
        Cal, on other hand got blown out by UCLA and is unable to beat bottom feeder SC who won only 2 leagues games all last year, one being vs. Cal. If Tyrone has off night, not enough talent to pick up slack.

27. zumiee said, on January 15, 2015 at 9:46 am

Beane reminds me of people you hear about (Michael Jackson, for example) who get addicted to cosmetic surgery, and they can’t stop tinkering and cutting away until they’re just something freakish. I get how little the idea of “team chemistry” is valued by a lot of the SABR community, but the idea that a constantly changing roster can come together and play as a team is supect, too, IMO. There were several interviews with Giants players after winning the World Series this season where they mentioned how they were playing for each other, how unified they felt as a team, how unselfish the players were. Sure, maybe that’s me just wanting to believe all that’s true. But the players seemed sincere in those interviews, anyway.

28. Irish Kevin said, on January 15, 2015 at 10:58 am

Boy, that is a tough choice, both have their problems. With that said I am going with the offece. 3rd base, LF, and CF all have problems. No guarantees that Pagan plays full time. Who the hell is the LFer.

29. willedav said, on January 15, 2015 at 11:04 am

Zum, I hear you and I’m not a Beane fan at all. But 2 of the guys that fit well with SF, Sandoval and Morse, both went elsewhere given the opportunity. We’ll see how their replacements fare, whoever they may ultimately be.
    Beane’s Zobrist deal with Rays got even better yesterday when he flipped Yunel Escobar to Nats for set up guy Tyler Clippard. So bottom line he got Zobrist for his sucky middle IF or as spare OF and RH set up guy who had solid season last year for Jaso and 2 High A ball prospects.
    Z could be one year rental as he is FA and Clippard arb eligible so neither of these guys may stick around long, but they will surely help A’s this season.

30. FanSince59 said, on January 16, 2015 at 8:57 am

I wouldn’t be so concerned about the Giant’s making it as a wild card team for 2015 if the Dodgers, D-Backs and Padres hadn’t retooled to the degree they have…but now, with this lineup and rotation, as it currently stands, I have my doubts that they will make a showing….I still would like to see Hamels, over the return of Vogie or his like in the rotation with Lincecum and Petit in long relief….Let’s at least pick up Aoki for LF, he at least hits for average and though he does not have a lot of pop he fits the mold that the Giants have used to get to the WS.