Careful What You Wish For: The New Guy May Be an Idiot

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 26, 2015

This got kicked around a little by you guys already but until I watched the video of him saying it, I didn’t really grasp how stupid Rob Manfred’s idea to increase offense in baseball really was. The number one idea he decided to float publicly: eliminate defensive shifts.

Whaaaaaattttt the fuuuuuuckkkkk?

While I do think that would work, why stop there? Why not make corner infielders use gloves on their throwing hand? Make Brandon Crawford wear concrete cleats. Outfielders are no longer allowed to throw. To get the ball in they need to transport it via catapult. Make it illegal for a runner to get thrown out trying to steal. I can already see Manfred giving me a knowing dude head nod for my ideas. You’re welcome, Idiot….

Some hitters can’t beat the shift? Boo freaking hoo. Learn how to hit. Guys like Will Clark laugh at hitters who can only hit the ball one direction.

And Manfred wants to help these poor guys out by eliminating shifts? I guess now that he and his owner cronies are no longer allowed to look the other way on steroid use this is the only idea they could muster to increase offense across baseball.

And by the way, more offense busts his other goal which is to shorten the time it takes to play an entire game.

But don’t let that stop you from implementing one of the dumbest ideas I’ve ever heard come out of a commissioner of a major sport….

________________________________

PK with the trophy

kokon

1. xoot said, on January 26, 2015 at 7:31 am

I’m trying to be optimistic about this defensive shift shit coming from the Commissioner, only because he issued an inaugural letter to all fans last night in which he listed seven players as exemplary–including Posey and MadBum. No other team was mentioned twice.

The letter, I’d like to think, shows that Manfred’s a smart guy, who recognizes what the Giants have done in the past ten years–put together a fairly stable roster that’s a blast to root for over time (especially when they win 3 of 5). I believe that the Giants have 23 homegrown players on the 40-man; only one team has more. (See this cool interactive chart. Soon after it was published, re-signing Peavy bumped one homegrown guy off the roster. Otherwise, I believe it’s accurate. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-the-teams-are-built/ ) You have to think that the Giants in many ways now are a model franchise. And the Giants are the reigning World Series Champs. So the new Commissioner went out of his way to acknowledge the Giants. Smart guy.

Bottom line: I just don’t believe anyone so smart would ban the shift. How would you enforce it? “The field shall be bifurcated by a line between home plate and second base, which line shall extend through the outfield to the stadium enclosure. When the pitcher begins his wind up the team in the field shall have at least two infielders on each side of the bifurcating line, and none of those infielders shall be positioned on the outfield grass.” Eff that to death.

• stickman said, on January 26, 2015 at 9:57 am

Manfred needs to bifurcate himself right up the middle.

2. Nipper said, on January 26, 2015 at 7:58 am

Add two DH positions in a game. One for the incompetent pitcher and one for the worst hitting position player. People come out to the park to see offense not a pitching duel. Add to the roster size. More jobs. Sure once in a while a nice pitching feat is appreciated but not every game! And keep the manager in the dugout. They waste too much time going out to a pitcher that turns them out anyway. More offense and shorter games are needed.

• stickman said, on January 26, 2015 at 9:59 am

One too many again, Nipper. Baseball is beautiful. Tinkering is for some dumkopferei like football.

• gianthead said, on January 26, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Nipper really pulled our leg on this one…you got me laughing Nipper…

3. willedav said, on January 26, 2015 at 8:45 am

This guy is not off to good start, Giants stuff notwithstanding. Incredibly dumb idea that is likely unenforceable and would only lead to more arguments from mgrs.—“He is not allowed to be there by rule” and booth reviews to position of fielders prior to a pitch. Just plain stupid.

Like Bud, this guy is owner hand picked guy. Long column by Shea today with interview on Selig.
    I can empathize with his love for the game and bringing it back to Milwaukee, but the more he says you realize he still just a BS artist/ used car salesman.

From today, quote: “..today we have the toughest (drug testing program) in America.” And later, “The sport is as clean as it’s ever been.” Wrong. MLB knew nothing about Biogenesis whatsoever til someone sang. How they handled admitted liar Ryan Braun and The Fed Ex guy ate my sample was stupid.

On the A’s stadium: “The committee was very useful, very constructive.” And, “…there are so many different complications.” Wrong, there is and always has been only one: Giants own territorial rights, aren’t going to budge, and expect to be compensated for ceding them. No owners will vote the A’s a move until this is worked out.

• stickman said, on January 26, 2015 at 10:00 am

Now that Oakland has been aced outta Sacramento and never had rights for SJ, where they gonna go? Vegas? There they will be just another show.

4. unca_chuck said, on January 26, 2015 at 8:50 am

Tell that to Bummie,. Nip.

My first thought on this was, why the hell should I care what the lead singer for Judas Priest thinks about baseball?

My next thought was, he’s the commish???

• gianthead said, on January 26, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Halford ruled when I was a teenager!!!

5. zumiee said, on January 26, 2015 at 9:03 am

The Patriots want us to believe the one time they got caught filming an opponent’s sideline signals was the only time they ever did it. They want us to believe the time they got caught filming an opponents pre-game walkthrough was the only time they ever did it. They want us to believe the one time they got caught using under-inflated footballs was the only time they ever did it.
    I am just so done with the New England Patriots, and so is the vast majority of the nation. Whether they win the Super Bowl on Sunday or not, they just need to go away.
    Somebody compared Belichick to Nixon: full of paranoia about his opponents, and ultimately ruining his legacy.

• snarkk said, on January 26, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I was the Nixon comparitor.
      “comparitor”?…

6. zumiee said, on January 26, 2015 at 9:23 am

Another thing about the Patriots- if they do win the Super Bowl, in the postgame interviews, of course, they’ll talk about how they banded together to overcome all the “adversity” they faced these past two weeks.
    Yeah, getting caught cheating is a lot of adversity to go through.

7. zumiee said, on January 26, 2015 at 9:46 am

And another thing- ๐Ÿ™‚
    Belichick gave a “scientific” reason the other day why the balls deflated, and several people, including Bill Nye have debunked Belichick’s reason. Obviously, somebody had given Belichick some science talking points to try to use. It just all stinks, and Belichick, like all crooks, believes he’s smarter than everyone else, which is why crooks so often eventually get caught. They just keep believing more and more that they’re smarter than everyone else, and they keep pushing the envelope.

• gianthead said, on January 26, 2015 at 12:05 pm

There is a simple scientific explanation. Put 11 footballs in a freezer before the game and voila you have the right inflation…

8. Alleykat said, on January 26, 2015 at 11:46 am

Manfred Mann was a cool band, maybe this Commish was ” Blinded by the Light” when he came up with this defensive alignment BS!!
    Side note kinda related: Looks like the Falcons are set to Manfred Mann’s other hit “The Mighty Quinn” from Seattle’s staff for the head gig!!

9. gianthead said, on January 26, 2015 at 11:52 am

Such idiocy, but guarantees one thing…they are going to start messing with the ball again to produce more offense. Hopefully the new idiot does not attempt to force the NL to adopt the DH…..

• Alleykat said, on January 26, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Isn’t it harder to inflate a baseball GH?

10. pawliekokonuts said, on January 26, 2015 at 11:54 am

SHEEEESH. HOW MORONIC. IT BOTHERS ME MOST BECAUSE IT MISUNDERSTANDS THE ESSENTIAL NATURE OF BASEBALL, AS DO THE EFFORTS [ooops fixed capslock; was too lazy to go back and fix] to speed up the game. Exactly why? (Back home. Exhausted.)

• Flavor said, on January 26, 2015 at 12:34 pm

what’s the storm like?

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 26, 2015 at 1:08 pm

storm is no storm here…little more than flurries; not sure, it may miss us; disappointed!

11. Bozo said, on January 26, 2015 at 11:56 am

It sounds like Manfred picked up Bud’s ability to talk through his ass without thinking something through.
    The fact that his first order of business wasn’t banning Selig for life, disappointed the hell out of me.

12. gianthead said, on January 26, 2015 at 12:09 pm

To me, there is nothing more exciting in baseball than a score 2-0 and the pitching spot comes into play and one team counters with their bullpen and closer. 10 times more exciting than a 10-7 AL game

13. zumiee said, on January 26, 2015 at 12:39 pm

I read a thing on George W. Bush’s internets that said that, due to the creeping length of commerical time between half-innings, the break between half-innings is now 3 minutes. I didn’t realize it was 3 minutes. Can that be correct? That alone accounts for a chunk of time lengthening games over recent years, in addition to batters stepping out of the box between pitches.

• xoot said, on January 26, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Doesn’t seem noticeable at games, maybe because everything still flows. Pro football just stops dead for tv timeouts–nothing going on at all. (At least that’s how it was last time I went to fb game, 10 years ago.)

14. zumiee said, on January 26, 2015 at 12:47 pm

All those times over the past season, when we saw Bud Selig in broadcaster booths being interviewed during games, and of course, none of the broadcasters had the guts to ask him about steroids and the steroids era, and its impact on his legacy.
    Bud’s biggest positive legacy for baseball? All games available on TV? Ask the Dodger fans about that. They only saw about 1/3 of the Dodger games on TV last season, and looks to be the same this season. LOL.

• Bozo said, on January 26, 2015 at 1:05 pm

“All games available on TV” – Yes, but didn’t most teams have to start playing Saturday night games so they could get around the exclusive TV rights Selig gave Fox for Saturday?

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 26, 2015 at 1:12 pm

ask ME about that; MLB.tv is a big bait and switch; welcome back to Amerika, Blade!

• blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Thanks (by the by, love the spelling of America . . . However, don’t get me or Stix started. lqtm).

15. blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Want to lose your cookies? Then read this:

Pure lunacy.

• xoot said, on January 26, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Nugget from the link. Bart Giamatti “Hired lawyer John Dowd to investigate Pete Rose.” And then many years later, when Barry Bonds refused to allow EA (or anyone else) to use his name and image without his express license (he opted out of mlb’s blanket licensing deal), EA’s baseball video game replaced Bonds in the Giants lineup with a white LH slugger named John Dowd.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on January 26, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I tried sending you a video. 306+ MB. What am I, crazy? Probably have to put it on a CD. Send via Yahoo?? Anyway, not a big deal.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on January 26, 2015 at 1:15 pm

you’re quick! I should’ve reversed the hand signal; 3 was my left, 5, my right, but it comes off the opposite in a photo.

18. unca_chuck said, on January 26, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I just figured you were signaling my age when the Giants won their 3rd World Series, Pawlie

19. blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Slate of games for fan duel was significantly ruined by this storm. Had to scramble to find a line up.

• Flavor said, on January 26, 2015 at 4:59 pm

yeah. P;is Durant is now out

• blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Really? Wow! Based upon a Roto recommendation for tonight’s limited slate of games, I had him in my lineup up until 10 minutes ago and changed my mind – replacing him (not knowing this). What’s wrong with him?

• Flavor said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:09 pm

toe

• Flavor said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:13 pm

durant started by 14 percent now dead line ups

• blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Better for us.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 26, 2015 at 4:59 pm

aren’t you, well, “deflated,” away from your retinue of smiling Asian friends? must be a tough adjustment. I know, I know, it was a tough life, but someone had to live it. (I do know you are glad to be back home. Have a cheeseburger, Blade!)

• blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:04 pm

I could tell you all about it, but you wouldn’t believe me. Seriously. Something you have to experience. lqtm. ๐Ÿ™‚

20. unca_chuck said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Way too many jokes come to mind . . .

• blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Fucker. I saw your bbotd comment . . . Check out my response. ๐Ÿ™‚

21. blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Flavor, I won $50 in my first tournament I played since coming back late Tuesday night. However, in a tournament I played yesterday, I had my worse showing ever. By far. In fact, “blade3colorado” was soooooo bad, that he came in 8040th place out of 8045 entrants. ๐Ÿ™‚

Not an excuse (umm, maybe sort of . . . ), but I’ve been so wiped out by jet lag this last week, that I decided to take a nap yesterday afternoon. I woke up 5 minutes before the NBA slate of games started – which start 2 hours earlier on Sunday – seeing that I had 3 players bumped/not playing from my lineup . . . No amount of scrambling could save me. lqtm.

• Flavor said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Jeez. It happens. You get a pass on Howard because he was a game time decision but Rubio has been out over 2 months and Shabazz at least 2 weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚ I rec’d reading the most recent note on every guy you consider till you get back up to speed on who’s playing/hurt/ etc

• blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Yep, massive face plant on that line up. Well, like I said, I’ve been figuratively (if not literally) dazed and confused lately. Friends have contacted me on the phone and usually I preface the start of our conversations with, “Hey, I am still suffering from jet lag and can barely string 2 coherent sentences together without stammering.” Three days up – with maybe 3-4 hours total sleep will do that to you.

• Flavor said, on January 26, 2015 at 6:06 pm

hope you are starting to come out of it!

• blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Thanks. Tomorrow, I am hoping I will have a “normal” day. I might even go to the gym for the 1st time since I have been back.

22. unca_chuck said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Awesome pic, btw Pawlie.

Flav, your bbotd defies any rational explanation. Or irrational.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:35 pm

tnx; I turned to the BBOTD and really did LOL, in a room by myself. What the hella!?

• Flavor said, on January 26, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I decided to go sideways this morning. Too many hotties getting posted/ gotta keep you guys on your toes ๐Ÿ™‚

23. Macdog said, on January 26, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Talking about doing something so radically dumb and actually doing it are two different things. Although he may well turn out to be just another Selig stooge. I’m willing to give Manfred man a chance. On the shift ban:

โ€œI said somewhere down the road itโ€™s something Iโ€™d be prepared to have a conversation about. Nothing more,โ€ he said Monday.

There’s also this:

He also wants stricter interpretation of the rule-book strike zone, a process that began with computer evaluation of umpiresโ€™ ball-strike calls starting in 2001.

“A lack of strike zone uniformity is kind of like dandelions,โ€ Manfred said. โ€œIf you donโ€™t pay attention, it comes back.โ€

24. blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Not a Raiders fan, but I like the 1 year contract signing of Charles Woodson, who continues to amaze at age 38. Dude had had 112 tackles in 2014 and 97 in 2013, marking the two highest tackle totals in his career. Good for him.

25. pawliekokonuts said, on January 26, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Y’all may be sick of it, but this clip and story MLB posted today gives a good wrap of the trophy event, plus it helped me with my notetaking. Having been there, I can tell you it was judiciously edited; things were not necessarily discussed in the order presented. A little too bad Haft omitted the Monte Irvin story — oh well, I get to scoop it in my book. It’s the Last Chapter. One final note: in a way I cannot yet articulate, the video does not do justice to the bonhomie and lively wit Mays brought. He owned the room like a standup comedian. But that doesn’t say it either. (If this link does not work, it is at MLB.com.)

Mays man of the hour as Giants return to New York
    1/26/2015

26. zumiee said, on January 26, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Thanks, Pawlie!
    And cool photo of you doing the “3 in 5” hand signs with the trophy, even if “reversed.” ๐Ÿ™‚

27. zumiee said, on January 26, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Today’s Puig gif:

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:09 am

my fav thing about the Puig gifs is that his teammates largely ignore the whole thing.

28. blade3colorado said, on January 26, 2015 at 10:07 pm

A few minutes ago, I found out I might be in possession of a Tibetan medallion that is 2000 years old. There are 2 photos of the medallion on this post I wrote last year . . . I will know more tomorrow:

29. snarkk said, on January 26, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Latest news is there is video of a Pats equipment dude taking the Pats footballs, after ref inspection, into some bathroom for a few minutes. Yes, it was the atmospherics that did the “deflation”. In the bathroom…

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:08 am

and of course this lone wolf ball boy did all that on his own….

30. […] The rest of the article can be found here: THE San Francisco Giants Blog […]

31. zumiee said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:13 am

The new commissioner speaking about the need to get umpires more uniform in their strikezones, is a good idea.
    Speaking of the strikezone, I misspoke the other day about where the bottom of the strikezone is. According to the most recent rules, the bottom of the strikezone is the bottom of the batter’s knees. I think I said it was the top of the knees, which is what it used to be until about 15 or so years ago.
    The top of the strikezone is where most of the ambiguity is, of course. The rules now state the top of the strikezone being an imaginary line halfway between the top of the batter’s shoulders and the top of his pants. Which, unfortunately, has led some less-than-stellar umps to do whatever the heck they want to with the top of the strikezone.

32. zumiee said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:31 am

Listening to the pundits on the MLB Network talk about Selig and the new commissioner is like falling down some kind of weird rabbit hole. They mostly talk about the $$$$$$$ the game makes now. And since a lot of the pundits are former players, that makes sense, sort of; and you just realize that the true lovers of the game are the fans. The former players played the game because they were born gifted to play it, and they surely loved playing the game; but lots of former baseball players admit they watch very little baseball since retiring. On a “30 for 30” documentary I saw recently, Bo Jackson admitted he can only watch about 15 minutes of a football game on TV before he gets bored and stops watching.
    So, all that to say, when the new commissioner, and the owners, and the players, and the pundits talk about things like banning infield shifts, or adding the DH to the National League, or whatever else, we know the last people they would think of asking is the fans, the people who love the game the most, and support the whole industry with our money and time. And I’m not whining about that; it just seems to be the way it is. I perused a few blogs of other teams to get those fans’ takes on banning infield shifts, and they all hate the idea. It smacks of gimmickry and cheesiness. True fans of the game hold the game in high reverence, and it would be nice if the industry really knew that. I know the owners are on a quest to capture the attention of non-fans, to make more $$$$$, but oh well.

• Bozo said, on January 27, 2015 at 11:10 am

Agreed Zumiee, that is one of the main reasons I dislike Selig so much. Yes a Comish does need to keep the game profitable, but I’ve always felt the main duty of baseball’s Commissioner was to protect the integrity of the game. I’m pretty sure that was what Judge Landis intended when he started the whole thing. In my mind, Selig has been changing the game to accommodate TV while pocketing millions himself from those deals. This to me is worse than the Black Sox scandal. Yeah today the owners and players are both get paid huge sums (the 94 strike really helped the players) and the “product” is selling out in many Yards, but you’re right Zum, the fans, a majority of which do worry about the integrity of the game are no longer listened to. More offense? Don’t ban the shift, eliminate the first base position and make Grand slams worth 8. Quicker games? First team to score 10 runs wins, but if the game is tied after an hour, decide it by a HR contest. The TV people would probably love it, me not so much.

33. willedav said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:37 am

There was good column on F-G some time ago about Bum using the upper end of K zone to much effectiveness. With pitchers instructed to pound the zone low, fewer hitters are looking up. His high hard one is impossible to handle, strike or not.

Cool vids, thanks Pawlie. Let us know when new book is available.

• willedav said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:40 am

Kind of opposite of Lincecum’s split/change he uses ahead with 2 strikes that starts out at the knees and falls off the table into the dirt, unhittable.

34. blade3colorado said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:40 am

Kobe Bryant better get that rotator cuff surgery done quick. I don’t think his shoulder was as bad as mine (2 of the 4 tendons were torn), but nevertheless, he is looking at a long rehab period . . . I think I have 95% of my strength for most weight lifting movements. The exception being bench press and military press – which I avoid doing. He is easily looking at 6-12 months of rehab. After 3 months following rotator cuff surgery, most patients will be able to lift 5 to 10 lbs. over their head and can initiate strengthening exercises on their own. By 6 months after surgery, most patients regain approximately 75 to 80 percent of their strength back.

35. blade3colorado said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:44 am

Good analysis and “feel good” story about our minor league prospects . . . Help is on the way Flappers. LOL.

36. blade3colorado said, on January 27, 2015 at 10:23 am

How are you feeling Flav? Still have a fever?

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2015 at 10:55 am

yup. Had to come in to work to train a group and I’m going back home shortly

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 27, 2015 at 12:28 pm

don’t they have artisanal organic doctors out there???

37. zumiee said, on January 27, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Great column by Kawakami; he finally jumped on the bandwagon. ๐Ÿ™‚ Kawakami now is going to act like he was always onboard with what the Giants were doing. That’s pretty funny. Even chastizing the fans, that’s really funny.
    But, I’ll say again, he nailed it well today. Very well said.

38. zumiee said, on January 27, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Speaking of bandwagons, I’m jumping on that Warrior bandwagon. I’m still more of a Kings fan, but I can roll tide with the Warriors, too. They’re just everything the NBA needs. If the Warriors were in NY,Chicago, or LA, the NBA would be absolutely in ultra-bliss.
    The Spurs, as good as they are, are dull to watch.

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2015 at 3:51 pm

the more the merrier, jump on in! Steph Curry has made me care about watching NBA basketball again….

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 27, 2015 at 3:58 pm

I’m not an NBA fan, but I’ll consider it. It’s a long time since the Celtics met anything to me.

• blade3colorado said, on January 27, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Unbelievable that Cousins got snubbed in the AS game.

39. unca_chuck said, on January 27, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Yeah, fun times at Oracle. It’ll suck when they move, seeing how long the fans had to live with their colossal ineptitude.

That is one of the loudest crowds out there.

40. blade3colorado said, on January 27, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Flavor, both my lineups are doing good . . . But you absolutely were spot on regarding Stuckey this evening. Still early for Pope, but regardless, Stuckey’s been a stud in the 1st half. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

• Flavor said, on January 27, 2015 at 5:52 pm

yes, looks like I hit on him. I’ve got 5 teams at fanduel and 9 at draftkings. We’ll see what happens. Good luck!

41. stickman said, on January 27, 2015 at 6:10 pm

The upcoming Sooper Bowel is numbered something like XLIX. Looks a lot like Ex-Lax to me. Maybe they should have jumped on board as one of the sponsors and capped on the coinkydink.

42. SanDawg said, on January 27, 2015 at 6:52 pm

A pox on the Warrriors! I’m 180 degrees from my man Zumie on this one. I’m a Kings fan who loathes the Warriors. (Not as much as I loathe the Lakers, but getting there) I’m looking forward to another Warrior faceplant in the post-season!
    DeMarcus is a beast and the All-Star snub is hilarious. Unfortunately the Kings scuttled their season when they canned their coach, who was doing a helluva job IMO (even if we did have to get him from the Warriors)

• unca_chuck said, on January 27, 2015 at 7:47 pm

The fucking Kings can’t get out of their own way. My kids dug ’em when we moved there on 01.

Never got behind them except for their playoff run vs theLakers

The Donaghy debacle.

• DJLoo said, on January 27, 2015 at 7:53 pm

They were much better when they were the Cincinnati Royals with the Big O and Ejrry Aclsu…

43. willedav said, on January 27, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Kawakami isn’t someone I usually agree with, and I think he’s wrong here too. Only thing he got right was that this is how Sabes rolls: if he doesn’t have a deal he’s sure of, he passes and goes after smaller fish. Which has brought some amazing results, except when it hasn’t.

After 2010 and exploits of Ross Huff Uribe et al, he loses Rent/Uribe and replaces them with crap–deRosa Tejada Fontenot. He has no back up for Posey, which means months of Whiteside/Stewart and since his IF is already crap, when Glass goes down there is further trash in Bill Hall, Keppinger and Orlando Cabrera.
    SPs are guys like Ironhead Wellemeyer and Sadowski.

He throws in the towel in 2013 “bad penny” season, trying a Torres revival that failed utterly and Kieschnick in LF. This was also the season of “win one for the Groper” and Kickham and Surkamp.

This year he had offers out there, but when they didn’t pan out he crawled back to the office to resume dumpster diving. Remember this too—Pence had a crummy second half last year. His last 250 plus ABs were 100 OPS points worse than first half. He lost 50 points each off OB and slugging and hit .165 Sept/Oct. OF depth this year equals Aoki/Blanco/Perez behind Pence and Pagan.
    IF depth is Duffy Adrianza Arias or Duvall plus Ishi and Susac.

Plenty of ? marks in rotation that might have been addressed, but weren’t except for Vogs. whatever grade you give him for effort, I don’t think results very encouraging.

• DJLoo said, on January 27, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Great post, Willie and as much as i agree with you, I just can’t muster a complaint at this point -or as long as I may live…

• willedav said, on January 27, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Bask on, man I’m sure most everyone else is, even if they haven’t seen the trophy up close and personal.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 27, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I’m with Loo. I can’t marshal [notice the proper one “L”] arguments against any of your points, but I’m a Sabean true believer. (Isn’t it strange how younger people don’t realize the origin of the phrase “drink the Kool-Aid”?) (And as for “true believer,” I believe Erich Hoffer coined the term, but have to look it up to confirm. Correct me if wrong, but I recall Hoffer was a longshoreman in Oakland. Now I have to look that up, too.)

• elcap said, on January 27, 2015 at 8:37 pm

3 fucking/titles and they were right there even without Posey in 2011. And they still bitch and moan.

2013 was just a fucked up year and there wasn’t much they could do short of giving away their best prospects, maybe meaning no Susac Panik in 2014.
        No team has all star backups and a few top of the rotation guys lying around just IN CASE.
        Kamakami point is in order to make up for those losses, they may not have been in a position to put together the winning teams.

• pawliekokonuts said, on January 27, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Hoffer wrote “The True Believer,” which came out in 1951. Was a San Francisco longshoreman, not Oakland. His first name had no H.

44. willedav said, on January 27, 2015 at 8:35 pm

SanDawg I have yet to get a reason for the Dubs hate. I mean, they’ve been irrelevant except for all the wrong reasons for last 40 yrs–drafting stiffs like Todd Fuller #1, Spree vs. PJ, Webber vs. Nelson, Moped Monta, trading away the Chief and rights to Kevin McHale, Joe Barely Cares, yada yada.
    Seems like hating on Jacksonville jaguars.

45. pawliekokonuts said, on January 27, 2015 at 8:39 pm

how’s the fever, Magnus? (Peggy Lee. “Fever.” Sizzling, sultry.)

46. zumiee said, on January 27, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Today’s Puig gif:

• James said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:03 pm

“You don’t believe in our dugout chemistry, motherfucker?”

47. James said, on January 27, 2015 at 9:41 pm

“Iโ€™m looking forward to another Warrior faceplant in the post-season!” This just seems 100% inevitable to me, and why I refuse to pay any attention. Plus, opening day is only a few weeks away, and the certainty that the Giants will be pretty fortunate to finish better than 500 with their current roster won’t fully hit home until after the NBA finals.

I am amused by the deliberation now being ascribed to Comrade Sabean’s 2-year plans, as if Posey’s injury, Huff’s decline, and the catastrophe that was the 2013 starting rotation were somehow part of a grand design that begs our patience in 2015.

• willedav said, on January 27, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Sabes has a lifetime pass and can do no further wrong I guess. Lonely at the top.
      He has Hicks in camp to replace the late lamented Pill should his bat ever resume contact with a pitch, and he is busily reuniting the rest of the Bowker Gang to ride herd on Kershaw and the hated boys in blue. Maybe Eugenio finally gets revenge for not being allowed to erase that massive 0-fer he put up for LA and turns into the next Bucky Dent.

• James said, on January 27, 2015 at 10:26 pm

My comment wasn’t really a Sabes putdown, WillieD, although I’m betting the basking to bitching transition will be complete before August, if there are no major changes between now and well before the trading deadline. I just think the role of chance in the Giants’ success — or failure — is a little . . . underrated.

48. unca_chuck said, on January 27, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Yer missing a lot of great bball James.

• willedav said, on January 27, 2015 at 10:13 pm

West playoffs will be tough, top to bottom, and should be tremendous games. With home court GS will have as good chance as any, Bogut being key..
      Whoever survives will be a strong team and justifiably confident.

• James said, on January 27, 2015 at 10:30 pm

I know, Chuck, it is pretty awesome what they’re doing. I just can’t get invested, and see them lose to some team with 6-10 enforcers, listening to the blather about the uncovering of the W’s “hidden weaknesses.”