Fan Devastation

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 2, 2015

As a Niner fan, I have known recent great angst. We hit the trifecta with Kyle Williams, Super Bowl Goal Line Melt Down, and RIchard Sherman Tipped Ball. All 3 of those games were devastating. But last night’s Super Bowl had to have felt exactly the same for Seattle fans.

Not only did they incomprehensibly throw the ball at a time where you HAVE to give it to BeastMode, but they didn’t even throw it to their #1 receiver. Or their #2. In fact, yesterday, Richard Lockett was probably #4 behind the shocking emergence of #13 (I can’t even remember his name right now).And to throw it into traffic, where it could so easily have been tipped up in the air for disaster to strike (but in this case it was *merely* intercepted cleanly) was just beyond stupid. That was quite simply the worst call I have ever seen, considering the moment, the implications, and they had the #1 running back in football watching it all unfold without ever touching the ball. It reminded me of this great moment in movie history. If only Marshawn was able to speak. 🙂

If you run Lynch 2 straight times and he doesn’t get in at least you go down with your best shot. They went down with a gimmicky *out-think ’em* shot. But look, Lynch would have gotten in. They could have had 11 guys keying on him. Beast Mode would not have been denied. They don’t call it “LockettMode”, right?

The first and worst loss as a fan that I can remember was the Roger Craig Fumble Game. After that, it was Game 6 of the 2002 World Series. That had to be the worst, at least for us, right?

Although how can I forget the “Solomon Torres” game?

Fans know devastation. It’s what keeps us fans. It keeps us wanting more. If you don’t get that low you never get to truly appreciate that high…..

1. zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 5:53 am

Game 7 of the World Series this past season came perilously close to that. What if Perez had kicked that ball a little harder and the KC runner makes it all the way around the bases in the bottom of the ninth, and the game goes into extra-innings? I tremble to even think of it. THAT could have been a devastating loss of the ages for Giants fans. But instead…..
    3 in 5, and pure bliss!! A game of inches, as the cliche goes! 🙂 🙂

2. zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 5:54 am

The “money shot” a lot of Niner fans have been waiting two years for:

• Bozo said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:37 am

Someone ineeds a huge bowl of Chunky soup.

• Lurker John said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:54 pm

That’s perfect, zumiee, the perfect GIF and of the perfect ass-wipe. I love it.

3. zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 6:00 am

Jim Harbaugh’s “money shot”:

• Bozo said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:39 am

Am i the only one that wishes he would have swallowed his gum right there?

4. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 6:44 am

I stand by what I said yesterday – Can anyone recall where a team literally gave away a Superbowl game like Seattle did? Seriously, I have seen games where the other team made a heroic comeback, a plain dumb luck comeback, and even a garden variety comeback. However, I’ve never seen a “sure thing” comeback with the best running back in the league given away like this one was. Seattle had this game 7 ways from Sunday and frickin’ blew it. Go figure . . .

Ditto on getting rid of the OC. What an idiot.

One other thing – I am still laughing about this Flapper comment, “It was in any case a much better throw than the one that should have been picked off by the Bengals against Montana in the first SF Super Bowl win. Montana was very lucky . . . .”

That’s almost equivalent to saying the following . . . “This morning as I was buttoning my shirt, a button fell off. After that, I picked up my briefcase, and the handle fell off. Then I went to open the door, and the doorknob fell off. I went to get into my car, and the door handle came off in my hand. Now I’m afraid to pee.” 🙂

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:14 am

I thought it was a great game.

6. xoot said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:17 am

The unanimity from experts and fans alike is impressive. I saw this fly by on twitter right after the game:

Bruce Jenkins retweeted
    Dwight Clark ‏@DwightC87 • 12h12 hours ago
    That was the dumbest play call in the HISTORY of NFL football.
    0 replies 1,431 retweets 1,345 favorites

7. willedav said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:46 am

Yep, and Carroll will have to wear this. Again, he didn’t back away or run and hide for his decision and neither did Wilson who took the blame. Both said the play should have worked and Butler made tremendous play.

And to me this makes what Lynch did look all the more lame. I could get it if he took the fine and said to NFL I’m not doing it/I’m not talking to anybody so don’t bother me. To openly admit you are only there not to get fined and not to actually communicate is CS. Have the union’s lawyers complain rights to privacy of being violated or the rules to comply with media are unfair.
    Uncomfortable? In your own gear with a bowl of skittles? Ridiculous and embarrassing.

Bottom line though outside of the schadenfrude is that Rogers and Brady, 2 decidedly unmobile QBs have been able to move the ball and score points vs. Seattle’s D. So it is certainly not unbeatable. Brady went up and down the field with short quick passes to variety of receivers and consistently ate up clock the whole game.

What Niners have to figure out is #1, do they have the personnel to do that (QB, TE, O line) and #2 how to come up with a comparable plan of attack based on who they do have if changes aren’t made. And then #3 coach that system through so the players can make it work. Brady and his receivers got open and his line made the blocks, even in limited running game. So it can be done, and if Niners don’t learn how to do this, they are freaking doomed to watching Hawks run around at Levi’s this time next year for #XL.

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:56 am

Super Bowl “XL”. That’s rad. I gave up on the Roman Numeral system a long time ago but “XL” might have me coming back for more.

• willedav said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:31 am

It’s actually #L, 50, not 40 like what I wrote. But yeah it is dumb.
        Imagining a legion of Hawks fans running around the Bay Area this time next year all geared up and talking megashit not a pleasant thought. Just dealing with all the sunshine here will likely disorient them.

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:41 am

I can get down with L too. Roman Numerals are back baby!

8. Nipper said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:32 am

Roman numerals are like columns in front of a building. Some serious stuff is going on inside!

9. unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:36 am

XL was Super Bowl 40.

The thing about Seattle was their DBs were banged up pretty badly. They were playing to avoid the big play and gave up a lot of small ones. They also lost one of their best pass rushers in the 2nd quarter (Avril) to a concussion. Once the pressure was gone, NE started getting better. All that being said, i stand by my thought Sea wanted RW to get the MVP rather than Lynch, who may now split, so they threw a pass. Word out of Seattle is they want to pay him a fortune to stay there the rest of his career, but he may just go ahead and walk. He had a big battle with the brass last preseason.

Next year’s will not have a Roman numeral assigned to it.

Super Bowl L just looks dumb I guess.

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:42 am

you think they were more concerned about who would get the SB MVP than winning the SB? That’s a new one I haven’t heard.

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 11:42 am

who knows? Makes no sense that pass play. They burned too much time anyway getting the first down run off. Carroll said the scenario that James posted, and I don’t buy it. If the run gets stuffed, you call TO with 16 secs left. You throw on 3 rd down. You have 4th down to do what you want.

10. willedav said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:43 am

Most of the way through the Mariano Rivera bio, “The Closer.”
    Comes off as really humble class guy from poor small town background who left school early. And admits his personal faults and inability to locate that cost his team in crucial situations, rare as they were.
    Wasn’t a pitcher much either as a kid and claims his cutter was pure accidental discovery warming up with a buddy in pregame for Yanks.
    Very religious, traveled with his Bible on all planes. Big part of his life, though he’s not annoying about it.

Does say something interesting when Yanks get taken down by likes of Red Sox and Angels after quite a bit of success, that those teams were hungrier. And that his team didn’t fight back vs. adversity and find a way to win like previous ones did, ala 2012 Giants.

11. James said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:47 am

Well, I had to work all night on a complex script to find it, but there is at least one other post explaining the rationale:

I was pretty amused that the quoted tweet is from @Adv_NFL_Stats. Not quite sure what the Adv stands for. 🙂

• zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:06 am

Well, the author’s case is undercut by thinking the ball was on the two yard line, not the one yard line. 🙂

• James said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:20 am

Ha, I noticed that, too. But it sounded just as reasonable to me when I made the same case last night, and I did have the ball spotted correctly!

12. eddacker said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:08 am

Despite losing $175(total) due to final scores/not scores in the last minutes of the first, second and fourth quarters I, too, thought it was a good game. I missed that it was Avril that went out and noticed the improved passing time NE had in the second half. good food and good friends, what is not to like?

Brandon Crawford asked for “Brandon Belt” money and got a $1M raise anyway. Brandon Belt got a $1M raise this season as well. Go Giants!

The Bro Show has a Castro Valley guy interviewing a Pleasanton guy, our very own Brandon Crawford on 29 January. If you have not heard it the podcast is on itunes and comcast sports net. Some SB stuff in front and then Craw. search bro show.

13. zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:11 am

For what it’s worth, the MLB Network is going to be showing an Australian baseball championship series later this month.
    Once the Super Bowl is over, February is the pits, as far as televised sports is concerned.

14. zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:14 am

From the Ken Burns ‘Baseball’ series:
    Dizzy Dean was a farm boy who left school in the second grade. Dean said, “I didn’t do too well in the first grade, either.”

15. Bozo said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:27 am

I gotta say I enjoyed the hell out of that ending. IMO, it was a wonderful display of arrogance and stupidity. Arrogance on Carroll’s part, and stupidity for the Defense to be in a rugby scrum formation and push your guy offsides when the Pats had to play their way out of the end zone (not to mention the stupidity of both teams to start swinging awayat the end). To go from a miracle catch, where your guy is on the ground but is able to kick the ball back into his arms for a completion to an epic melt down where the other team just takes it back, wow.
    That had to feel like the JT Snow 3 run HR to tie that playoff game against the Mets. We were going completely bonkers in the stands when he hit it but the Mets took back the lead in the 10th. At the time it felt like I just sat back down, I don’t think I had ever gone from feeling that high to that low so quickly before. If thats what the Seahawks fans are feeling, well…well, fuck em. I don’t give a rats ass about the Seahawks fans.

• ewisco said, on February 2, 2015 at 11:09 am

i was at that game too. I don’t know I’ve heard the place that loud, though ishi’s blast probably out-did it. and then to have it end so anti-climatically. and don’t get me started on Estes hurting himself and letting himself get tagged out rather than get back to the bag. pathetic.

• Bozo said, on February 2, 2015 at 11:35 am

Why he didn’t slide I don’t know, but still, all Estes had to do was sit down on the bag. I’m still pissed off about that game.

16. Macdog said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:28 am

I might have gone with “Clueless in Seattle,” but this one works:

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:45 am

Crazy how the 49ers and now the Seahawks were such dominant run teams that turned away from their bread and butter 1 yard from glory. I mean really WTF were those head coaches thinking? Other than whiny bitch face and complaining about the refs I can’t remember Harbaugh’s reaction in 2013. Carroll came out and explained his rationale but watching his post game comments it made me think about Bochy and his approach to winning the moment in the post season. Sure he has all the scenarios played out but his moves are all about being in the moment. At least he strikes me that way.

18. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 11:55 am

Interesting quote by dunderhead Yasiel Puig – “The principal rivals are the Cardinals. It’s not San Francisco”

• Bozo said, on February 2, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Pitchers and Catchers report soon. Can’t wait to start beating the shit out of our non-rivals in LA.

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Me makes two.

19. zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 12:52 pm

“it made me think about Bochy and his approach to winning the moment in the post season. Sure he has all the scenarios played out but his moves are all about being in the moment.”

Yeah, definitely. Compare him to say, Fredi Gonzalez of the Braves, not bringing in Kimbral in the Braves’ playoff elimination game against the Dodgers a couple of years ago, with two-outs in the 8th inning because…..Kimbral hadn’t come in during the 8th inning all season. So what?! Kimbral was warmed up and ready to go, just standing in the bullpen; but Gonzalez stays with his 8th inning guy, who proceeds to immediately give up the series-clinching homerun to Uribe on a hanging slider.
    And there are many other examples of managers not willing to go outside the box during the playoffs. And bringing in Kimbral in that situation was just a LITTLE outside the box, not even a lot.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:27 pm

The way Bochy has sort of turned the page to going all out in the 2010,12 & 14 post seasons is amazing to me.I guess those 15+ years of more experience managing mean something.

20. zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 12:58 pm

But also, it’s important stay “in the box” when that’s what’s required. For some reason, the Seattle coaches went outside the box with that pass play in that situation. One of the problems with the play was that the Pats defense was going to be bunched up at the goal-line to watch for the run to Lynch. There wasn’t going to be much room to fit a pass in, at the middle on the goal-line.
    Lynch has built a career on being able to move the pile, even when the defense knows it’s going to him.

21. Irish Kevin said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Okay I am not defending the call, but on KNBR this morning they gave this stat, for the 2014 season there were 106 passes made from the 1 yard line. Not one of those were intercepted. So was it the wrong thing to do. The stats say no. It should have either been incomplete or a TD. I have to go look at the play, but I think Lynch ran out to a wide receiver position? If nothing else they should have at least faked the handoff have Lynch draw everyone to the line.

• ewisco said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:21 pm

naked bootleg

• Irish Kevin said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:22 pm

So with all that said, this SB came down to two incredible plays. The rolling on the ground juggling the catch and the almost impossible interception.

• James said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I also wonder how many passes of 7 yards were intercepted.

22. James said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:25 pm

“Crazy how the 49ers and now the Seahawks were such dominant run teams that turned away from their bread and butter 1 yard from glory.” I don’t think that’s quite what happened. They could have run Lynch two more times after an incomplete pass and they get 3 cracks at the end zone.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:48 pm

With such little time left maintaining possession is pretty key though and any attempt through the air is bad in my opinion. They had the league leader in TD and one of if not the best RB in the league. They had no business doing anything but giving Lynch the ball in that spot.

• James said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:22 pm

The chances of turning the ball over running were probably bigger than they were with the pass. Lynch getting stuffed on second down was not that unlikely, which would have left Carroll with the choice “Run Lynch one more time and lose 4th down if he fails or pass twice.”

I’ll say that the argument is only interesting to me insofar as it is completely absurd to dismiss the decision Carroll made as idiotic, the worst in the history of the NFL, etc. If he had run Lynch twice on second and third, and the Patriots had put up an amazing goal line stand ala the Niners in one of those 80’s Super Bowls, I wouldn’t be ripping Carroll for poor play and clock management, either.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I know that is the thought going around the interwebs but I’m not saying it was completely idiotic. I can understand his reasoning and it makes sense. I just disagree. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. So it goes.

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:31 pm

No, James. Throwing in the compressed area of the 1 yard line leads to tipped passes and INTs.

Especially a slant. Lynch had 90 yards in the last 3 quarters, and they weren’t stopping him very well after doing a good job in the 1st quarter.

Hey, I loved it. But I think it was a stupid play given the circumstances.

• James said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:46 pm

I’d love to see the stats for lost fumbles near the goal line versus intercepted passes, especially those thrown over the middle — where is the football equivalent of BB-reference and Fangraphs?

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Carroll was right in that with the time left and one time out, one of the plays has to be a pass. What was curious was the time Seattle wasted leading up to the 2 plays after kearse’s catch. They only ran 2plays with like 50 seconds left. I just thought they were burning clock to force belichick to use his last TO. Even more weird was that belichick didn’t. I’d have played it to try and kick the FG after Sea scores their TD.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I thought Carroll’s reasoning made sense I just think pass should have been the last play if it came to it. Ehh, who cares anyway?

• Lurker John said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Chuck, the only correct play was to run Lynch there, regardless of the outcome of the pass play. Just my opinion, yes, but the man is near unstoppable in that situation and he had three cracks at it. The odds of the Pats stopping him on three straight plays from the one are incalcuable. And I agree about letting some 30 seconds run off the clock. Their belief that nothing bad could ever happen to them was shattered yesterday. Welcome back to earth, boys.

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I agree totally John. My only point was of the 3 plays with the time left, Carroll had to throw it once. I wouldn’t have done it then.

Like the Niner loss in the NFCCG last year, I wouldn’t have taken that risk what with the time left and where the Niners were when Kappy threw the pick.

• James said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Except there wasn’t time for 3 runs, and if you don’t pass on second down, and if Lynch is stopped, then you are forced to throw that one pass on 3rd. Of course, that’s not a bad trade-off, given what a great runner Lynch is.

And, yes, ultimately who cares, this ain’t baseball.

• Lurker John said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Lynch runs on second down, doesn’t make it, Seattle calls timeout with around 20 seconds left. They run him again on third down and he doesn’t make it, they have plenty of time to get back to the line to run (or pass) on fourth down. They also did two things to themselves in the last two minutes that hurt them big time; they wasted two timeouts, a la Colin Kaepernick, and they let more than 30 seconds run off the clock after the run before the pick. They were so goddamned sure they were going to score that they ended up shooting themselves in the foot. Their arrogance finally caught up with them.

23. unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Just heard Dave Bergman died. 61.

He had the misfortune of playing on a couple bad Giants teams but played well for the Tigers

• Lurker John said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Sorry to hear about Bergman. Way too young.

24. Lurker John said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:26 pm

The Seattle Seahawks fell victim to their own hubris. Their interminable arrogance finally caught up with them. They snatched the prosaic straight from the jaws of immortality. And I loved and savored every second of their epic collapse. The expressions on the faces of Carroll, Wilson and especially Dick Sherman already rank as among my favorite sports moments ever.

They then had the generosity to show their true colors in spades by starting the galactically stupid brawl after the turnover. Reports of their beligerent fans talking smack and taunting Patriots fans throughout the stadium during the 3rd quarter served to cement their status as the worst and least-liked fans in the league. Dick Sherman dissing Darelle Revis after he was beat for a TD rubbed millions of TV viewers the wrong way, like everything else he does. His pie hole was sealed shut after the game. Sweet redemption.

Having to live and work around these fans 365 days a year make this a deliciously sweet feeling. Eerily quiet at work this morning. As a Niners fan, I could not have asked for a better day.

25. gianthead said, on February 2, 2015 at 2:55 pm

They got to keep the Super Bowl L title for next year and refer to it as Super Bowl Large…can I trademark that now????

26. Alleykat said, on February 2, 2015 at 3:48 pm

The difference between Jimmy Chitwood and Marshawn Lynch is that Jimmy spoke up in the huddle and said: “I’ll make it”
    Pete just looked at Lynch, and of course he didn’t say anything, cause that’s what he does with the media, so Pete had no idea what to do, so we’re just gonna pass the ball in the biggest moment of the SB, I’m still laughing about that dumbshit decsion!!

27. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Been doing a lot of “catching up” on my NBA knowledge in the last couple of weeks since returning from the far east . . . Props to Flavor for helping out on my Fan Duel.bet selections. His assistance has resulted in 7 wins in the money circle since returning.

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2015 at 5:29 pm

ha, thanks. I don’t know how much help I’ve actually provided. But I’m glad you’re winning

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Two suggestions you’ve made to me in the last week partially are attributable to me being in the money on two winning cash bets.

28. pawliekokonuts said, on February 2, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I left a party after the third quarter and having no TV found an audio feed by BBC Radio on the TuneIn app on my iPad, which made for an interesting listen. I don’t know who they were, but they (American and Brit voices) sounded knowledgeable. and they were totally baffled, mystified, by the play calling at the end, and wondered if Wilson just did it on his own. I’ll compare it to Game 6 of 2002 WS, or Game 7 1962 WS not sending Alou from 3rd when Mays doubled.

29. pawliekokonuts said, on February 2, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Listen to this. I went for my yearly exam for men’s health. All good. Before the doc came in I had started reading a NY Times magazine article from last July on the screwball, and its absence. The doctor just said take it. TERRIFIC PIECE. I mean, fabulous. By Bruce Schoenfeld. Think of it: Carl Hubbell, Warren Spahn, Mike Marshall, Willie Hernandeez (Cy Young and MVP), Juan Marichal, Tug McGraw, Tom Browning, Mike Cuellar, Fernando Valenzuela all threw it…and extended their careers. It is pretty darn unhittable. Buster Posey in the article just does not believe it is possible to get a ball to curve away like that. Timmy Lincecum says it hurts your shoulder and walks away from the discussion. Jeremy Affeldt protests he had a teammate who threw it (Dan Herrera), but no one believes him. All modern coaches, down to high school, are afraid it causes injury. The data does not back that up. Great bit of wintertime reading. I think this is the link:

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 2, 2015 at 4:43 pm

excuse all the typos

30. Flavor said, on February 2, 2015 at 5:46 pm

I ran into Warren Sapp in a bar in SF around 2003 or so. He couldn’t have been any cooler. After I said “what’s up” he bought me and my friends drinks. It was the bar right next to the New Century in the Tenderloin. We told him we were going over there after drinks/pool and he goes “dawg, I was just over there. They take CARE of you, know what I mean?” and then everyone engaged in the bro group-lol.
    It’s nice to see he’s still *keeping it real* as far as the hos go….

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I hope he has a good pension.

31. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Pawlie, this is one of the best baseball articles I have read in some time. I remember when Valenzuela threw the pitch and hardly anyone threw it regularly except him. Back then, they would cite Marichal’s screwball and occasionally, Hubbell.

As the article suggests, this is a pitch where “If an area of opportunity for the screwball exists in today’s game, it is in these interstices between success and failure.” More pointedly (and specifically) – I wish “Team Lincecum” would not dismiss it out of hand. In short, he is a perfect candidate for trying something new . . . What he has been doing certainly isn’t helping.

Thanks for sharing.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:16 pm

You’re welcome, Steve…I felt exactly the same thing: Timmy & Co., you should NOT so breezily dismiss the notion of a screwball. (Why historically, though, was it more often a lefty specialty?)

32. paulinasia said, on February 2, 2015 at 6:04 pm

From my view, Seattle didn’t lose because of that last play. They definitely didn’t win with that last play, and maybe they would’ve won with a run. But they lost because Brady engineered those 2 drives with under 7 minutes to play, completing 13 of 15 for something like 140 yards, against the best D in the league. As one Flapper noted at the time, rather Montana-esque…..

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Brady didn’t start playing Well til seattles best LB ;(Acril) went down, and they lost their cb in the 1stquarter. Thurmond and Sherman were already banged up. SeTtle was playing their safeties 2 deep most of the game to stop big plays and ended up giving up a bunch of little ones.

Brady more lucked out more than anything. The 1st pick was atrocious.

• blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Agree. The injury losses were big and as you said, they were already hurting (regarding Thurmond and Sherman. In fact, Sherman is having TJ surgery). Not to mention Seahawks strong safety Kam Chancellor suffering a left-knee injury on the second-to-last play of the team’s practice Friday at Arizona State.

In short, the Seahawks didn’t have all their defensive “bullets” loaded for this game.

• Lurker John said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:26 pm

So was the second. lol

• Lurker John said, on February 2, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I give Seattle no quarter regarding injuries. Everyone is banged up this time of year. Their ridiculous stretch of good fortune ran out and they lost. All is right with the world.

• willedav said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:14 pm

the pick was but the drive down the field wasn’t and neither were the other 2 that resulted in TDs.
        They blocked well enough to hold down Seattle’s rush and picked their spots to find open guys—they had a plan stuck to it and Seattle couldn’t stop it, all day.
        A 10 point lead Seattle couldn’t hold is also a big part of why they lost no one wants to talk about, including 2 3 and out from Wilson that put his D back on the field.
        Team game and plenty of blame to go around.
        and how lucky was Wilson, on the long pass to Maxwell (his first completion I think) he threw up for grabs or the one Kearse made super catch of? Brady’s TD to Gronk was pure beauty a bad coverage with no help and he put it in there perfectly.

33. unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:30 pm

For what it’s worth James, someone posted on my blog that they heard on KNBR this morning that of the 106 throws from the one yard line this year, none were intercepted.

I guess it was due to happen.

And a lot of people are calling out Carroll for him wanting RW to be the hero of the game.

34. snarkk said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:34 pm

IMO, I’m not averse to anybody using a screwball. But, Lincecum spending time to learn it might be a waste. Might. His changeup already moves away from the LHBatter when he throws it in a good groove. And, thus, into a RHBatter, unless he throws it a little differently and it just dives down. Not sure what a screw ball would add to the picture, his motion is already screwed up… 😉

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:45 pm

it’s just ridiculously nasty, from what I gather

35. blade3colorado said, on February 2, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Craig is too modest (umm . . . sort of), so I will toot his horn for him. Dude just nailed an NBA cash game at Draft Kings this evening. Almost 10,000 entrants. He won $5020 on a $5 entry fee.* Not a bad evening’s work. I use to know a couple of hookers that made this type of scratch . . . Umm, well that’s another story. Props to you Flavor!

* By the by, this isn’t unusual, as Craig makes a fairly steady side income playing fantasy cash games. Ironically, basketball isn’t even his best sport (he did way better in baseball and football).

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:01 pm

thanks. Still can’t believe it. Crazy! Had some nice baseball scores in the Summer and a couple good NFL weeks but 1000-1 was a little more than I could have hoped for. 🙂

• Flavor said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:09 pm

and it wasn’t 1000-1, I spent $30 on 5 teams tonight. One of them beat 9200 other players.

36. unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Looks like I’m not the only conspiracy theorist.

37. zumiee said, on February 2, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Today’s Puig gif:

• unca_chuck said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:09 pm

That is too funny

• snarkk said, on February 2, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Most of the team probably wants to take a bat to him sometimes — the other end of it…

38. James said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Chuck, Irish Kevin posted the zero interceptions from the one yard line stat earlier on the Flap.

Here’s another little stat, apparently from ESPN: Marshawn Lynch had 5 previous runs from the 1 this season and had scored only one touchdown.

39. snarkk said, on February 2, 2015 at 10:59 pm

You run Beast Mode 3 times. He’s not going to get a yard in three tries? Could be done with that timeout sandwiched in there somewhere. Run him at least 2, for kreissakes, with the TO. The conspiracy theory of the play call as a pass for PR purposes seems galactically far fetched. How could a HC even entertain that?…

40. snarkk said, on February 2, 2015 at 11:17 pm

Pete Carroll said:
    “It’s not the right matchup for us to run the football,” he said, “so on second down we were throwing the ball really to kind of waste that play.”
    Huh? You have three shots to make one yard to win the SBowl, and you’re going to waste a play? As in, throw an incompletion to stop the clock? Huh? Then you pressurize yourself on third and then fourth down, in case you don’t make in into TD on the third down? There is just no explanation for it that makes any sense. Dan Fouts said as much this morning on the FM sports station. Paraphrasing, he said it was the worst play call ever…

41. snarkk said, on February 2, 2015 at 11:20 pm

I probably missed this and somebody reported it. But, Chris Dominguez was DFA’d to make room for Voggy. Meanwhile, Zito will audition for a few teams tomorrow. As a pitcher…

42. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 5:33 am

A rare moment of praise from me for Dodger fans. 🙂 On a Dodger blog, surprisingly, they went into an appreciation of Barry Bonds. A very cool thing:

Holy crap Barry Bonds was unbelievable
    In 1999, he hit 262/389/617/1.006, and he wasn’t an all star
    In his age 39 season he had a 609 OBP
    In the 9th inning, he had a career 402 OBP and that was his worst OBP in any inning of his career
    Through 1996, he had 334 HR and 380 SB in his career. No other player has reached that level in their entire career

by ThomasH93 on Feb 2, 2015 | 10:14 PM reply

I lived in the Bay Area during Bonds’ peak years (1999-2002) and I went to a lot of Giants (and A’s) games.
    The things I saw him do……well, I won’t forget them.

by Rob88 on Feb 2, 2015 | 10:21 PM up reply

I never understood how good he was
    I was too young.
    But I know I saw a lot of Bonds HRs against the Dodgers and I have never been more fixated on an at bat than when Bonds was up.
    I’m sure people in 20 years will say the same thing about Trout now, but I wish I remember more of Bonds

by ThomasH93 on Feb 2, 2015 | 10:30 PM up reply

I was at AT&T Park (then Pacific Bell) the night Bonds hit his 500th career HR against the Dodgers (off Terry Adams, I believe). I was sitting pretty close down in the area behind home plate. I think the game was in the 8th inning or so and Bonds’ bomb either broke a tie or took the Giants from behind into the lead. I was of course focused at first on the likely blown game…..but then they stopped play for a ceremony at home plate (which probably pissed off Adams and all of the Dodgers, and justifiably so I guess), and Willies Mays and McCovey (the other two living Giants with 500+ HR) came out to greet Bonds. I had seen McCovey play in the late 70s when I first started going to Dodger games, but, of course, had never seen Mays. Yeah, they’re the Giants…..but damn if that wasn’t spine tingling.

by Rob88 on Feb 2, 2015 | 11:41 PM up reply

Bonds career OBP is .444
    (it was .409 for his career through 1999)
    The names above him in career OBP: Williams, Ruth, Gehrig
    The names that immediately follow him: Hornsby, Cobb, Foxx, Speaker

by David Young on Feb 3, 2015 | 1:00 AM up reply

Mind numbing

by ThomasH93 on Feb 3, 2015 | 1:08 AM up reply

43. unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2015 at 7:30 am

Well James, on 3rd (and 4th) and 1 this season, Lynch was 12 of 14.

Still think Carroll got too cute for his own good.

44. Bozo said, on February 3, 2015 at 7:32 am

I was shocked, shocked I tell ya, to hear that Eli Whiteside was hanging them up to be a coach for SF.

45. unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2015 at 7:36 am

I think the PR angle played into it some, snark. Like you said, there’s no real justifiable reason otherwise.

I think it had more to do with Carroll wanting RW to get the MVP to stick it to Belichick and Brady.

46. Flavor said, on February 3, 2015 at 7:51 am

A new and more recent thread awaits>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

47. willedav said, on February 3, 2015 at 8:02 am

I hear what Zum said about this being a dead time for sports, but I enjoy college b-ball and this is when things start heating up. Conferences are in middle of season and last weekend Stanford and Cal had exciting games vs. the Washington schools. Cal won twice on road including last second W on a 3 from back up guy while Cards lost a game by a point. Cards, senior dominated, are still in upper echelon of league. Both teams starting to get more out of bench/injured players.
    This week the LA schools come to town. SC isn’t very good but has Cal’s number recently. UCLA, coached by Steve Alford, has been a major disappointment to fans used to much better team, but they did beat Utah last week second best team in conference. Alford has been one of those vagabond guys who don’t stay long in one place and has 2 sons on the team. One is point guard and has been up and down, often way down. This might not end well.

Dubs play 4 times this week, including Sac tonight, Dallas and Monta tomorrow and begin East trip with Atlanta and the Knicks. Lot going on…hope Dubs and Flav (plus Blade) stay hot!

Not to mention a Prez update and Belt re-signs. Hope he breaks out and winds up with longer and nicer deal.