FanFest This Saturday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 3, 2015

Pffffttttttt….I’m not going.

Maybe it’s having already been to several of them, maybe I’m just not in the mood to fight the crowds, maybe it’s something else. I dunno. I just don’t have any interest in going this year.

Is that wrong? Are any of you going? Does the east coast Flap contingent think less of me?

Next week is the AT&T at Pebble Beach and there are rumors that all 3 WS trophies and all 5 SB trophies will be on display. Now THAT would be a rad photo op.

1. James said, on February 3, 2015 at 8:17 am

If I go to the ballpark and there’s no game that counts, I will be bummed out. Hey, I responded to the thread, which allows me to . . .

Chuck, at the goal line, the defense is usually a little different from a standard issue short yardage play, right? I found the stats on fumbles and scoring % for pass versus run from the one yard line in 2014, which further justify The Decision beyond the logic of controlling the clock.

Pass: 108 passes, 59.5 percent TDs, no interceptions.
    Runs: 223 runs, 57.8 percent TDs, two lost fumbles.

Over the last 3 seasons, Beastmode has scored 5 times in 12 rushing attempts from the 1. The idea that he should have been an automatic call on each possible play, no questions asked, seems pretty dubious to me.

2. willedav said, on February 3, 2015 at 8:33 am

Bozo and Wisc were talking about the JT Snow 3 run HR in playoffs game that Giants eventually lost, burned by D Hamilton as I remember.
    Thing that totally blew me away was Sabes then signing Benitez, the guy who gave it up. WTF? I couldn’t believe that was the guy he wanted, and it turned into epic fail.

Hope things turn out better for Aoki, who went 1-14 in the World Series with misadventure in RF. This is a guy who was a 3.4 WAR player for Brewers in hitters yard 3 yrs ago that fell to 1.5 WAR last year for Royals playing in a non hitters yard. Maybe he finds himself in ATT…just hope he finds ball a little better than he did in World Series.

3. willedav said, on February 3, 2015 at 8:36 am

Niners have to wonder if Vernon Davis is fully on board and wants to be part of whatever they are doing offensively. Is he Gronk or plonk?
    No such doubts about Flav’s BBOTD, your classic tight end.

4. Nipper said, on February 3, 2015 at 8:55 am

No I hate those things…….crowds…… but if I lived closer I’d sniff around. Meeting an old Flapper bent over with his walker would be something! Just kidding…..

• ewisco said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:12 am

let me see if I’ve got this straight: you’d go if you could “sniff around . . . an old Flapper bent over with his walker . . . “? I didn’t think I was going to go but now . . .

5. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:22 am

James, doesn’t the emotion of the moment count for anything? The NE defense had to be shell-shocked, having just given up the huge crazy reception. Then Lynch gains 3 yards on the first running play to take it to the one yard line. If you’re Carrol, why wouldn’t you want to see if you can just stuff it down their throat on the next play? And if NE stops it, then fine, time out, and look at other options for 3rd and 4th down.
    Now, Carrol has to live all off-season with not having trusted his offensive line + Lynch for that big moment. How can that relationship between the coach and those particular players ever be the same again?

6. Bozo said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:32 am

I went to a couple of fan fest years ago and they were nuts back then. Don’t think I’d go now. When they first opened the park they had a deal for the Charter Seat members so you could actually sit in the seat that you had been paying on for five years, free hot dogs and beer it was sweet.

James – here are some more pass or run stats for you to mull over, they also include more years and the score in the mix. The time calculation they use is less than 5 minutes so it doesn’t address your time management theory. For me this statement about the Seahawk’s season might be why most folks disagreed with the play,
    “The Seahawks were a phenomenally successful power-running team this season. According to Football Outsiders, in fact, they were the second-best power team in the league, converting 81 percent of power runs (described as third or fourth down and/or any goal-to-go situation with 2 yards or less to go) into first downs or touchdowns.”

Anyway here is the article, make of it what you will. Me? I’m on to the next shiny object.

7. Irish Kevin said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:45 am

The 22 non roster invitees, anyone jump out at you guys??

Pitchers (12)

• Kelby Tomlinson
    • Carlos Triunfel

Outfielders (2)
    • Justin Maxwell
    • Mac Williamson

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:52 am

I’m very interested to see how Mac-Willy looks post recovery

• wilcojoe said, on February 3, 2015 at 11:19 am

I remember Justin Maxwell played for the Astros a couple years back. Had some decent pop if I recall.

• stickman said, on February 3, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Mac Williamson jumps out at me because of his trajectory going into last season when he went down to Tommy John. He’s at least a four-tool player and could own LF by mid-season,

8. ewisco said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:51 am

Chris Stratton, wasn’t he the rush chairman?

9. James said, on February 3, 2015 at 10:39 am

Zumie, the NE CB wasn’t too shellshocked . . . in fact, he made a tremendous play that is being overshadowed by a wrongheaded focus on a coaching decision. As usual, the interplay of talent, skill, and chance is obscured by a largely irrelevant narrative.

Bozo, to be clear, the objection is to the hysterical certainty with which Carroll’s decision was vilified. Question it, fine, but there is more than enough evidence to justify the decision he made.

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2015 at 10:49 am

I have tried to avoid commenting on this back and forth but I just gotta say this: James, you have always seemed to revel in taking the contrarian point of view here at the Flap (whether you truly believe in your stance or not is something I’ve always wondered about). I feel like this is your greatest contrarian point of all time. It’s like your “Super Bowl of Contrarian Points.” lqtm
      Come on, admit it so we can just move on from this silly debate…….

• Bozo said, on February 3, 2015 at 11:21 am

Fair enough James.This article, written by the founder of Advanced NFL Stats (I don’t know and don’t care) does feel the run had a higher percentage chance of succeeding but it also supports your conclusion that it wasn’t a stupid call.
      If I wasn’t done with Super Bowl 49 before, I sure am now. Cheers.

On to baseball, the Giants Pitchers and Catchers report on 2/18 the day after Mardi Gras. If we have any Cajuns in that group I hope they get their partying done on Lundi Gras.

10. unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2015 at 11:06 am

I took my kids in 2009 and 2010. Before they had won anything. Crowded and kinda silly but it was ok. They had interviews with players in the back that was interesting. Of course my daughter took about 50 pics of Tommy.

I heard the crowd tripled in size for the 2011 one and I didn’t want anything to do with that and I haven’t bothered since.

James, there are more factors than simply passing from the one. Fade or slant? Rollout? Formation, etc. Lynch ran well after the 1st quarter and NE was not getting very much penetration on his runs.

No one loses their job over it, but I still maintain that a run stands a pretty good chance of working there. Better than a slant on a crowded line.

The result doesn’t necessarily injustify the call, but I think every other coach in the league, given a guy like Lynch on their team, would run it.

Carroll himself admitted as much that it was a waste play to set up a run on 3rd down. Butler made a spectacular play, but it was a stupid call.

11. unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2015 at 11:07 am

Timmy. Stupid phone.

12. Alleykat said, on February 3, 2015 at 11:12 am

It sure would be rad to have your photo taken with Buster&Matt around those 3 W/S trophy, since their both be at Pebble playing in the Pro/Am!!!!

13. James said, on February 3, 2015 at 11:19 am

Flavor, I’m not quite sure what I’m supposed to admit to . . . draw up the confession, and I’ll see if I can sign it!

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2015 at 2:25 pm

It’s cool, I was just messing with you and looking for a reason to use the word *contrarian*

14. Irish Kevin said, on February 3, 2015 at 12:18 pm

So the SB was really decided on two plays that probably won’t happen again for either of the players. That juggling catch while on the ground 9 times out of 10 that it’s an incomplete pass!! The interception is the same thing that is usually an incomplete pass or a TD. That CB broke on the play perfectly, not going to happen a second time.

15. willedav said, on February 3, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Surprised no one has signed James Shields yet. what would the $$$/yrs have to drop to before Giants should be interested?
    While he apparently isn’t thought of as true ace, given Bum at the top, Shields might make great 2 or 3.
    Last 8 years running he has put up 200 innings plus without fail.
    Pitching in KC, pitcher friendly yard like ATT, his ERA in the AL last 2 yrs are 3.15 and 3.21. Beside Bum, does anyone on SF likely equal that?
    3 of last 4 seasons his WHIP has been below 1.20, including one year at 1.04.
    Would a 3-4 yrs offer in $50 mil range make sense, or not?

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 12:59 pm

That would mean both Timmy and Vogie are bullpen guys; then who gets dropped from the bullpen?

16. Alleykat said, on February 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Yes we have the right girl for BBOTD,
    5 SB…3W/S equals her magic 8 butt!!

17. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 12:50 pm

The Seahawk locker room after the game! Emotion means something! 🙂

18. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 12:56 pm

“The 22 non roster invitees, anyone jump out at you guys??”

I would guess Okert is the most MLB-ready of any of them.
    I’m also curious to see what Williamson can do. That would be a very cool thing if he can help out on the MLB club this season at some point.

19. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Also curious about Arroyo, a former first round pick. He could be a future leftside of the infield guy with Crawford.

20. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 1:07 pm

The thing about Okert is that he’s a lefty reliever, and the Giants already have Lopez and Affeldt, so Okert is kind of blocked for a while.

21. willedav said, on February 3, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Part of the argument against signing Shields (aside from thought best years are behind him and he will be hit harder going forward) are that 2016 is when there will be bumper crop of true ace FAs, which of course will be expensive.
    Given what Scherzer is getting, what would guys like Greinke and Cueto demand?

At that point Giants have a bunch of players coming off the books, most notably Lincecum and Hudson. Don’t remember if Pagan is in that group too. So conventional wisdom says that since Sabes re-signed Vogs he’s likely done for now as far as improving the rotation/pen, and maybe hoping a young arm or two is ready for the following season.
    Strickland in or out? Does he need more seasoning or is it time to sink/swim with big boys? Rivera talks about having short memory clear mind and going with your best stuff/location. He rarely threw during ST and really only had limited repertoire, but relied on pin point control and devastating movement. Does Strick need more pitches or just better command of what he has?

• gianthead said, on February 3, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Williedav, Pagan has one more year after the 2015 season. Scutaro’s contract comes off as well as Affeldt. That is $42.67 to spend on a #2 pitcher to go along with Bum and I still want a left-fielding slugger…

22. unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Strickland needs an offspeed pitch to go along with the gas. Say, a 90 MPH slider. Nen got away with 2 pitches for the most part.

23. James said, on February 3, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Bozo, finally got a copy of vol 3: http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=33936

Not as great as the first two, but good enough for Anyday Gras . . . .

• Bozo said, on February 3, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I hadn’t heard of these collections, that one has some great stuff on it (how is the Lee Dorsey and the Meters cut?). Not Mardi Gras related, but if you are into brass bands, I strongly recommend the new Rebirth CD “Move Your Body”, it flat out kills.

• James said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:20 pm

The Lee Dorsey cuts are unsurprisingly great stuff, the Dixie Cups is as out there as a 60s girl group ever got — awesome:

• Bozo said, on February 4, 2015 at 5:51 am

I’ve got most of Lee Dorsey’s older stuff but I don’t have anything with him and the Meters, that has to be pretty cool. The Dixie Cups still play Jazz fest from time to time, and those ladies can still fire it up. One year I was out there and Dr. John brought Dave Bartholomew out to play on a couple tunes, 90 years old in a wheelchair and can still blow the horn. Toussaint still plays there every year and walks around checking out the different music (really nice guy). Of the older stuff, a WOZ DJ friend of mine gave me a bunch of Huey “Piano” Smith and the Clowns (ironic, eh) last year and went on a Clowns binge for awhile. He wrote “Rockin’ Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu” and also “Sea Cruise” , which after he recorded it, the record label erased his vocal and put Frankie Ford’s vocal on it then released it. James, I could talk NOLA music all day, but I don’t want to bore y’all to death with it, but still…
        Have you ever gone down to NOLA for the Jazz and Heritage Festival? Its held the last weekend of April and the first weekend of May, it gets more crowded and expensive every year and they’ve added big name acts that have nothing to do with NOLA, but man, I’ve heard some great stuff out there. With like 10 stages, there is almost always someone to hear and if not, there is a lot of awesome food. Toussaint will be there this year but it looks like the Dixie Cups and Frankie Ford will not, still you gotta say this is a pretty impressive lineup.

• Bozo said, on February 4, 2015 at 5:56 am

Or this clip highlights the schedule.

24. gianthead said, on February 3, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Yoan Moncado come on down….

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 3:08 pm

I’m all for it! But I’m not getting my hopes up for it.

25. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Willie, I think after signing Vogie, that means Strickland starts the season at Sacramento, barring any injuries.
    I’m assuming the staff will be 12 pitchers:
    Bumgarner
    Cain
    Peavey
    Hudson
    Vogie
    Timmy
    Petit
    Lopez
    Affeldt
    Romo
    Casilla
    Machi

• Alleykat said, on February 3, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Z…Just my opinion but I don’t see Machi returning. They might go 3 lefties with Okert who has excellent control and like Jeremy can go an inning or more if needed. Strickland probably Sac, but Boch might want the extra gas coming in late as well, just praying he comes up with a decent slider or cutter this ST..

26. gianthead said, on February 3, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Out of those to young pitchers invited to camp, would be great to see two of them make a name for themselves this spring and be a 2016 option…

27. gianthead said, on February 3, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Seeing the market floor being completely pulled out from James Shields I think is the ultimate sign to stay away. I would offer him maybe a one year deal at most. But I still think ownership had not signed off on a big signing. Moncado may be the only exception because of the potential unique nature of the opportunity…

• Flavor said, on February 3, 2015 at 3:32 pm

There is a 100% chance that the Giants are not going to sign him

28. pawliekokonuts said, on February 3, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I supose I’d like FanFest, because I obviously enjoy the fans, the excitement, as much as a game. But maybe not, not when there is no actual game. I dunno. It’d probably get on my nerves in five minutes.
    Kat, you really don’t think Machi comes back? He did fine work, did he not? SCREWBALLS. Going to SU game. On ESPN. Will wear some sort of Giants gear.

• Alleykat said, on February 3, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Pawlie,
      Yes, I think theirs a chance Machi doesn’t come back. He was awful in the postseason, an era of 4.50 and a HR against Nats. An era of 8.10 and another HR against StLouis. Then a era of 27.00 against KC 3 earned runs and 6 hits allowed in 2 innings!
      Not impressive, along with his waistline, as he looked even heavier then Panda.So I wouldn’t be surprised if the org gets on him to lose the pounds or lose your job!

29. willedav said, on February 3, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Kings getting run out of their own building tonite. After hot start from McLemore Dubs were down 10, now up 20 at the half and getting little resistance, with few turnovers plenty of steals assists and rebounds.
    Cousins is flat awful. This is one of those games where he has simply checked out because things aren’t going his way. Allowing Bogut to walk down the lane and for a lob and a dunk while he just watched is pathetic. What kind of message does that send to your teammates?
    If I was his coach I’d tell him to grab some pine and get comfortable. If you aren’t going to run back in transition nor bother to play any D you are telling me you don’t want to be in there.
    He has all the talent to be a legit all star, but far too often acts like a chump..

• zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:16 pm

He’s got his issues, but his game has improved this season. The attitude stuff is even a little better, overall. The technical fouls are down in number. His stats this season are All-Star-ish.

30. Alleykat said, on February 3, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Cousins sure looked like a chump on that beautiful in bound sideline pass from Curry to Sprieth for the Slam!!
    Every King was faked out of their jock straps on that one!!

31. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Today’s Puig gif:

32. unca_chuck said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Cousins looking like Kareem with Bogut out.

33. Alleykat said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:32 pm

In the end Dubs blow them out, 61 pts from the bench, wow, 33 assists another wow,lots of rest for the starters, bring on the Mavs for their next victim.

34. zumiee said, on February 3, 2015 at 9:41 pm

The Kings are the classic case of a team that pays the price for having missed on some of the high draft picks they had in the last several years. You just can’t miss on a bunch of picks like that, or you continue to struggle.
    And the coach replacement fiasco this season didn’t make any sense.
    The Kings’ season started off with a lot of promise, and then imploded.

35. sportdude said, on February 3, 2015 at 10:39 pm

On to baseball…but this an espn stat..104 passes from the one yard line or closer in 2014…ZERO int’s