Yoan Moncada

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 4, 2015

Everyone wants him. Only one team gets him. My guess is that a player like this is not a good fit for the Giants. For one, there will be fierce competition and we all know how Sabean feels about that. If you don’t truly know how he feels then just look at his track record–he never gets guys like this. NEVER.

Secondly, he’s 19. This is not a major league ready guy. So you’re paying him 50 million (or whatever it is) to learn how to play in the minor leagues. And if he’s any good, then you have to pay him again once his contract expires soon after he makes it to the big leagues. Again, this is not “The Giants Way.”

So I will eat my hat if we get him.

But imagine if the Dodgers signed him and he was mentored by the wise and sage Puig? The gifs alone would be worth it…

1. sfsarge said, on February 4, 2015 at 6:41 am

I heard an interview with Bobby Evans on KNBR about a month ago and he pretty much said the same thing. They like the kid, but aren’t apt to spend that kind of money for an unknown quantity who is figuring it out in the minors.

2. Giant Head said, on February 4, 2015 at 6:45 am

Your arguments are all completely rational and likely to be right. So I am betting we sign him…

What did the little ant say? YOU GOTTA HAVE HIGH HOPES, HIGH HOPES…

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:23 am

Moncada isn’t Cuban for mountain of money.

4. zumiee said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:27 am

Maybe Puig could teach him this nifty move:

5. willedav said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:44 am

So Cousins got 26 and 11, and on paper his stats look good.
    But when game was being decided in first half he shot 3 of 12 vs. Bogut and got lit up for some embarrassingly easy baskets. Vs. Marreese Speights he finally decided to play.
    His coach left him in long enough to put up good numbers, which only enables him,, something that likely has happened for many years. Money does talk. And why allow him to play so often 18-20 ft from the hoop? he flat out missed a wide open backdoor pass to a cutter for a layup (unlike Bogut) and he’s not a point G. If you are going to run offense through him, put him on the block and spot up shooters around him so he can’t be doubled.

Earlier I remember him being lit up by Ezeli, who effectiveness is limited to one spot on the floor about 5 ft from the basket. Cousins allowed him to get to his spot and couldn’t stop him.

He still doesn’t play the game the right way, giving a good effort at both ends of the floor and being committed to doing what is best for the team—only himself. Longer he is allowed to do this more uncoachable he’ll be, AS or no.

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:47 am

That alley oop that he just sat and watched from the 3 pt line? He didn’t even flinch.

6. Flavor said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:45 am

GH– I don’t doubt your commitment as a Giants fan but your 6:45am post is way off. Our “high hopes” begin when the post season starts. “High hopes* in February are for the Cubbies and the Dodgers and teams like that….Don’t ferrrrrrgit it!

• gianthead said, on February 4, 2015 at 11:41 am

I am year-rounder realist…post-season is for winning not hoping!! Our floundering this off-season is time now for some hoping…

7. blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:20 am

I was expecting more from Sactown. I went heavy on Dubs in fan duel and paid the price in the 4th quarter (all the starters were pulled . . . at least the ones that mattered. lqtm.). Oh, one other note – if you recall the last time out against Sac – Klay went crazy on them.

8. blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:31 am

This is hilarious . . . Seattle fan destroying his TV after the interception.

• sfsarge said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:54 am

That was amazing

• Bozo said, on February 4, 2015 at 9:16 am

Head first no less. Thats gonna leave a mark.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 4, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I love it. It’s so great it seems staged like in a bad movie. Ouch.

9. willedav said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:31 am

Read through the McC Chronicles Moncada signing post and some of the comments afterward; some think this guy is another Bryce Harper and immediate top 5 prospect. Based on what I dunno but that kinda cuts the argument in half–if he is already that good he wouldn’t be in minors for more than a couple years, right?
    But where would his best position be?

Regardless I think Flav is right and the bidding war will not include Giants.

Flav, that GIF is just amazing. Sac coach (and it happened right in front of their bench) should have called time out and sat Cousins for rest of game. He is out of position from start of inbound (even if he expected a down screen and planned to hedge which I doubt) and never moved as his guy got uncontested lob and slam. No, you don’t do that and stay on the floor to get the ball at the other end.

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:40 am

and it’s not like he was day dreaming, as soon as the lob got flushed he just turns and goes the other way.

10. zumiee said, on February 4, 2015 at 9:14 am

My take on Cousins is that I wish he had some Ernie Banks in him. And I doubt Cousins, like most modern ballplayers, even knows who Ernie Banks is, and that he passed away recently. Cousins needs to find joy in playing in the game. There’s just no joy in Cousins’s game. He acts like playing the game is some kind of burden he must endure. Sure, the Kings are still far off from being a playoff team; but Cousins has a great life. Playing NBA basketball, being talented enough to go to an All-Star game, being super-rich and being able to travel the world at will. It’s a wonderful thing he’s been blessed with, but his whole manner doesn’t show any sense of that. I don’t get it. And maybe at this point, he’s just never going to get it.
    A lot of athletes are used to winning a lot until they get to the pros, and are drafted by lower level teams, and then have to go through the grind of losing a lot of games. Ernie Banks never let that take away his joy of the game, and his appreciation for what he was blessed with. And he ended up being a Hall of Famer, and someone that is hugely respected in the sports world.

• zumiee said, on February 4, 2015 at 9:21 am

And Cousins is far from being the only sour-puss out there in pro sports. I don’t get the sour-pusses. In a few hours those guys make more money than I make in a whole year. Why the sour-puss?

11. zumiee said, on February 4, 2015 at 9:24 am

Those guys in the Seahawks fan video are like something out of the TV show “Justified.”

12. Bozo said, on February 4, 2015 at 9:41 am

If Moncada really wanted to play for the Giants, like it was his lifelong dream or something, I bet they would sign him. Since Beltran (maybe before?) it seems to me that Sabean wants players that really want to play for the organization (some of them didn’t have many other options, but still). If the kid is only in it for the money, I agree that the Giants probably won’t be in that bidding war for very long.

13. Macdog said, on February 4, 2015 at 10:00 am

This must’ve been put together before that indifferent Cousins play last night:

View story at Medium.com

14. Alleykat said, on February 4, 2015 at 11:46 am

Any of you hear about Puig douchebag latest diss on the Giants?
    He said we only have to get by the Cardinals to win a W/S!!
    Well let’s see’we never had a problem beating the Cards “TWICE” in 2012& 2014 to advance to the show!!!
    Like Krukow mentioned on the air :He’s just Young&Dumb!!!

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Yeah, I mentioned it yesterday AK. Agree – he’s a tool.

• Alleykat said, on February 4, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Yes Blade…” He’s definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed”! 🔨🔧🔩🔪

15. zumiee said, on February 4, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Giants promotions and special events this season:

• zumiee said, on February 4, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Flapalooza ideas? 🙂

• zumiee said, on February 4, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Those June 27th championship socks look SWEET. I’m just sayin.’

• zumiee said, on February 4, 2015 at 1:10 pm

May 9th- Pence on the Fence bobblehead. Very cool.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 4, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Not wanting to pay for Moncada to toil in the minors is a fair point but the Giants have never been shy about elevating top prospects so if he is as good as he’s thought to be we might see him with the big club sooner than expected. It’s all pie in the sky anyway. The only Cuban we might see in orange and black is Dayan Viciedo. The White Sox requested unconditional release waivers on him today. Supposedly he plays 3rd and LF (neither very well I assume) so I could see Sabean taking a flyer to try and add some power.

17. giants54 said, on February 4, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Harper had a .817OPS at 19. Why does Moncada need more than a year in the minors? Others made the jump at 20.

But none of them got 50 m signing bonus. Shows how foolish owners are willing to be.. They need to put a cap on int’l signings or make em go through the college draft just like NBA.

18. unca_chuck said, on February 4, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Whatever works. Just makes the games a little more fun. A little more grist for the mill . . .

19. Alleykat said, on February 4, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Wow Moon Man Minton strutting the Elvis glasses with buck teeth! Awesome
    Randy Moffitt trivia: Sister is Tennis Player Billy Jean Muff King!

20. blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I’ve said a few times I am down with what we are bringing into Spring training. Actually, I haven’t been this excited for a Giants season to start . . . umm, I guess for ever. Not too worried about how the Giants will fare this season. I guess that’s what Spring is all about – rebirth, renewal, possibilities. It’s all good and I welcome the challenge, especially since every prognosticator (and quite a few fans) have buried them.

I’m almost equally excited about fantasy league baseball starting as well, as I won some significant coin last season. 🙂

21. unca_chuck said, on February 4, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Not that it’s an excuse but the team as a whole and cousin especially was furious that Milone was canned. Sine the team slid when he got sick he feels personally responsible.

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Chuck, you lived here, so you know the necessity of having a 4wheel drive vehicle or at least front wheel drive. Well, I have been miserable with my unreliable “beater” Honda Prelude, which does have front wheel drive. My BMW Z3 rear wheel drive is useless on snow . . . Anyway, today I bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with a hard top, straight 6, AC, and the rear axle was replaced and both front and rear differentials were re geared to 3:73. It also has a great sound system with a new Pioneer deck including USB and Aux ports and two 10″ JL Audio subs in a custom box in the back, amp is under the back seat and the front speakers are new also.

This is the 3rd Jeep I have owned and I was pleasantly surprised at how well this one drove. Usually they are beat and used up here in Colorado. Oh, and as expensive as hell because they don’t lose their resale value. This guy gave me an excellent deal. Anywho, I take possession next week and am excited. Thinking about going 4wheelin’ the following week. 🙂

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 4, 2015 at 6:22 pm

do folks have ‘winter rats’ out there as some do here? a car only for trudging through the snow? surprisingly, my 2007 VW Rabbit is very good in snow; and I don’t even have snow tires, new all season radials

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Yeah Pawlie, they do. The reality is that just about everyone has at least one 4wheel drive vehicle in their family. I thought when I moved down to the Denver area (after selling my mountain home), I would try life without one – it has been very limiting. Quite a few of my friends live in the mountains. What’s really amazing is how many 2 wheel drive SUVs I see in California (CA folks can comment). I don’t get it. If you are going to get an SUV, you should get one with 4 wheel drive.

• unca_chuck said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Cool. Yeah, you can’t do w/o 4 wheel drive out there. I’ve had one off and on most of my life due to all the time i spend and spent in the mountains plus living in Colo a few years.

Do they salt the roads out there? I can’t remember. They either don’t allow salt or don’t allow studded tires. I can’t remember which one. Salt just eats cars alive. That’s what you have to watch out for.

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:20 pm

They stopped using salt around 2000 I think. Studded tires you can use, but you better not be caught with them on your vehicle after a certain date in the Spring or you’ll get fined/ticketed.

22. Bozo said, on February 4, 2015 at 6:25 pm

I thought I read somewhere that if the Giants went after Moncada and paid him, say a $30 million bonus, they would also have to pay an additional 30 mil in a cap penalty. Did anyone else see that?

• Flavor said, on February 4, 2015 at 6:53 pm

I think they have to pay the taxes on it which may be the same thing

• xoot said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:01 pm

There’s some sort of maximum signing bonus system involved, I think, with penalties for teams that go over. Looked very complex to me–need an accounting expert.

23. unca_chuck said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Yeah, it’s the taxes that double his contract..

24. snarkk said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:09 pm

I get that the Giants want to spend smart. But, they don’t have to not spend. I’d like to see some spending on a non-pitcher that brings some excitement and production. Panda did that. And, they used to have a guy that did that really well in LF. No way in hell they sign this kid, but McGehee is only on a one year deal…

25. unca_chuck said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm

What’s even better, Blade, is all the guys in Tahoe with their Escalades and their 22″ wheels that get stuck in 2″ of snow. 2 or 4 wheel drive.

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Add Ford F-150 4wheel drive trucks to that list (probably every truck that is light in the back). My mountain home had a long driveway with a severe grade. If more then 4 inches of snow was on it – forget about my truck getting up the driveway (unless I had a running start at about 50-60MPH . . . lol). My Jeep Wrangler on the other hand, would easily go up my driveway with 1 to 1.5 feet of snow, as long as I took it very slow. However, once snow is compacted on asphalt, it turns into ice and you either have to use another fresh “track” up the driveway or leave your vehicle at the bottom of the driveway.

• xoot said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Alaska. I spent a lot of time there, but only one full winter. The main expressways in Anchorage have wheelbase-wide channels the big 4WDs gouged into the frozen asphalt, so the roads sort of guide you along– like the famous ruts in the ancient Roman highways. The local Subaru dealership did very well selling AWD to people who just needed to get to work, or to the market, or to the hospital when their wives went into labor at midnight in late December. We made it fine. Some years later, however, in California, the old Subaru started to fall apart–damage from the subzero start, I’m sure, block warmer etc. notwithstanding.

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Xoot, I have 3 friends with Subarus (Forrester??? I think?) and they swear by them. Best vehicles in the snow according to them. Almost got one 8-9 years ago, but I couldn’t wrap my head around its station wagon looks. 🙂

• xoot said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:23 pm

utilitarian, that’s what a Subaru is. Hell, back then I was just happy the dealership gave me a loan.

26. unca_chuck said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:16 pm

In regards to Macarena (whatever):

2. How much will he get? The market will be “fierce” and “robust,” the first talent evaluator offered, with more than the usual suspects involved. But you wouldn’t bet on him to pocket the sorts of packages that Rusney Castillo ($72.5 million from Boston), Yasmany Thomas ($68.5 million from Arizona) and Jose Abreu ($68 million from the White Sox) have in these last two offseasons for two related reasons: 1) Moncada has less of a track record than those guys; and 2) As a younger player, his contract is subject to taxes, as per baseball’s Basic Agreement. So if Moncada gets a $40 million contract, he actually will cost his signing team close to $80 million. That math figures to be quite a drag on his take. A guess in the $40 million-$50 million neighborhood seems reasonable.

• snarkk said, on February 4, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Heck, $40-$50 million is less than the Gamer cost. Let’s do it!…

• xoot said, on February 4, 2015 at 8:29 pm

More complicated: “Because Moncada is an amateur free agent, he’s subject to a signing bonus rather than a major league contract. To this end, even the Yankees could balk at his price tag. Passan reported in November it could be in the $30-40 million range, which, due to MLB’s international bonus pool rules, would actually be a $60-80 million investment after taxes.”

Probably not worth sorting through, however.

27. snarkk said, on February 4, 2015 at 9:04 pm

I really don’t know what the Giants are afraid of in taking a flyer on one of these Cuban position dudes. The upside is tremendous. If the guy flames out, it’s only money. After all, they’re willing to hand $150M to an arm (Lester) that could crap out with a busted elbow ligament against batter one in Spring Training, yet they’re unwilling to go all out with a risky position guy to half that cost. They have gobs of coin just from operating revenue, plus the tons of WSeries-related merch they sell. It’s not like ghost owner Charles Johnson, the reported $4 billionaire, will go broke if a $70 million Cuban shot in the dark craps out. I just get soooo tired of hearing the Giants constantly yapping about economics, especially with position players that present a risk element. They were willing to pay Panda $100 million and risk him becoming the Michelin Man, but they won’t take a shot on one of these young guys? If they want to squeeze every penny to be sure of the profits, go run a widget factory. Running a top shelf baseball franchise, with guaranteed TV income and sellouts, is just not like running any other business. There’s margin for error. You don’t have to be crazy like the Dodgers. But, with this top 5 revenue stream, you should have at least the risk profile of the friggin’ White Sox (Abreu)…

• blade3colorado said, on February 4, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Snarkk, did you see the SuperBowl Mercedes commercial? The one with the hare and tortoise? I think a metaphor is hidden in there related to how the Giants and Dodgers do business. lqtm. 🙂

• LB said, on February 4, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Big diff going for a proven commodity vs a 19yr old cuban. Ridiculous analogy. Like saying gee, since they gave Cain 120m, why not give some kid out of college 100m?

• snarkk said, on February 4, 2015 at 11:04 pm

I disagree. It’s not ridiculous at all.
        Other teams with more to lose, relative to their income stream, are taking risks on these Cuban guys. In 2013, per Forbes, the ChiSox at $210M had $106M Less revenue than the Giants ($316M). Huge difference. Yet, even with Abreu’s compensation a far higher percentage of their Rev than the Giants’ risk ratio had the Giants taken him, the ChiSox took the higher risk with Abreu anyway — and it paid off. These are educated risks, not a pig in a poke. If everything were reduced to certainty, nobody would get off their arse to make a move on any free agents. And, McGowan never would have taken Bonds from the Pirates for an outrageous amount of money (at the time in ’93). $100 million on Pablo, going on 29 with a possible fat explosion with a guaranteed deal, is not that much less risky, if at all, than $70 million on a young dude a decade younger with a huge upside. If you’re averse to any risk, both deals are ridiculous — and if that’s the case, you shouldn’t be in the baseball business.
        And, they shouldn’t have given Cain $120M. With the mileage on that arm and known elbow chips, THAT was risky, as we saw this past season…

• blade3colorado said, on February 5, 2015 at 5:51 am

Although I am satisfied with Sabes and ownership’s plan going forward (which may or may not include a Cuban or other impact player), you’re not wrong either snarkk . . . You make a compelling argument to invest in one of these players, since as you said, teams are taking “educated risks” and we wont know anything about these guys for another couple of years. Nice counter argument post! 🙂

28. willedav said, on February 5, 2015 at 7:23 am

I think Snarkk makes a pretty good point. If the kid is as good as projected, he could join big club in a couple short years. Given what we’ve seen lately could add to home grown product. And for position players, who aren’t thrilled about coming to ATT, decent risk.

Dirt mentioned Viciedo, who is one of those guys that just hasn’t lived up to expectations from first year when he hit 25 HRs for Sox. Offensive numbers have been in decline and his defense is Morse-like. Doesn’t run well and not a patient hitter either. RH pop, sure, but what else he would bring is questionable.
    Sox fans were cringing when they gave him $4 mil deal a month ago, then relieved when he was DFA’d.

29. Bozo said, on February 5, 2015 at 7:51 am

snarkk – your argument using the revenue between the Giants and Sox should probably include those teams existing salaries. In 2013 Chicago’s opening day salary (which didn’t include Abreu) was $118,914.5 in 2014 it was $90,062.7 (which included Abreu), so Chicago felt comfortable committing huge bucks after shedding bigger bucks.
    The Giants Opening day salary in 2013 was $136,908.8 and in 2014 it was $149,089.5. By the way their 40 man year end roster in 2014 was $179,834.4. So the Giants do spend money but perhaps need to rid themselves of some large contracts.

The argument of being willing to spend $100 mil on Panda does make more sense to me, except Panda’s payment would have been over multiple years where as this $80 – $100 mil seems to me to be all in one chunk (correct me if I’m wrong on that) and that is only the signing bonus and tax you still have to give the kid a salary.

But man have times changed, it wasn’t very long ago that people were nervous and complaining about signing an unknown kid named Angel Villalona to a $2.1 mil bonus to today’s world, where we are discussing signing a kid for a $100 mil bonus.