Shields to San Diego

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 9, 2015

Lemme get this straight: The Giants offer “Big Game (Regular Season) James” a 4 year/80 million dollar deal. He rebuffs it. Ok, it’s not something I’d turn down, but he’s his own man. I respect his decision.

And yet now he signs with the Padres for 4 years/72 million?

All I can come up with is that James Shields is an idiot. He’s got a kinda Cro-Mag look to him. This isn’t a surprise.

Every W we get over his this year will feel extra special…….

1. gianthead said, on February 9, 2015 at 8:11 am

no doubt he is an idiot and what happened to the $110 mill contract on the table??? Bullshit.

2. gianthead said, on February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am

they probably begged the Padres to get it close to $80 mill to save some face…but you have to be impressed with what the Padres have done. More they can beat up on the F Wads fro LA, all good with me…

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 9, 2015 at 8:32 am

I saw that Shields went for ‘one of the highest but no the highest deal’. I thought that was strange as the MLBPA encourages always going for the most money. Meh, whatever. Padres sure have been active though. I guess it will suck that much more when the Giants pitch a no hitter or clinch a playoff spot against them. Again.

4. gianthead said, on February 9, 2015 at 8:34 am

I just saw this rave piece about Moncada in case this has not been posted yet. This type of review solidifies my thought he is a must-have for the Giants. It references the tax has to be paid within 30 days. Unlike a lot of these teams in pursuit, one would think the Giants have a pile of cash after the World Series 3X5 to make that type of tax payment.

I think one of the strongest argument that can be made to pursue Moncada at all costs is that we MUST keep him away from the Dodgers. We can not let them get him. Padres have to be out of the running now with limited cash and signing Shields. Cubs have young infield talent up the wazoo, so that makes little sense. So you have Dodgers, Yanks and Red Sox as serious contenders. Rays and A’s cant have the mney to be serious contenders and I cant see the Brewers as legit monetary players. Phillies in rebuild mode so cant see them being financially competitive to pull this off. Tigers and Rangers would be both financially able to compete for him as well.

Let’s go ownership. This is potentially a once in a decade type of player and Sabean needs to push that argument with ownership.

5. willedav said, on February 9, 2015 at 8:38 am

This is a good move on Shields part, tho a better one would have been coming to SF. Supposedly other offers he turned down were for 3 yrs w/option, which would make more sense from club outlook. Whether they were in or not I can understand Sabes being reluctant to match 4 yrs w/option for 33 yr old high $$$ SP.
    Problem for Shields in SD is gonna be IF and it’s defense. Writer on F/G has a column today about how bad the Pads IF is projected to be which is among worst in all of baseball, SS being largest but not only issue…opposite of Giants, who have GG fielder and consistent if unspectacular hitter there who is steadily improving. He also adds chart that shows how rare it for teams with crummy IF to do that well.

Also have to wonder how playing in Petco will affect offensive stats of all the bats they picked up. Pads are certainly better, but still seem ways away from contending, even for WC spot.
    Giants, btw, projected to have 11th best IF in NL according to chart he used. LA is 4th. Hmmnn.

Talking about Dean Smith legacy and UNC, I don’t think Roy Williams can carry Smith’s clipboard.

6. Bozo said, on February 9, 2015 at 9:29 am

If the Giants did offer 4/80 has anyone heard if he turned it down because he thought he’d get more, or did he just not want to be on the Giants? I’d be curious about that.
    Either way, it sucks to be him, but if he turned the Giants down and came back to them when he didn’t get $100 mil, I’d have to say – fuck you, ya greedy little bastard you, hope a ring wasn’t part of your dreams.

7. xoot said, on February 9, 2015 at 9:38 am

$80M signing bonus for a 19 year old? (Presumably it could be paid over time, along with the mlb minimum salary. Latest word I see is that San Diego is going after Moncada.

• xoot said, on February 9, 2015 at 9:46 am

Although now that I think about it, I’ll bet the $40M “tax” payable to mlb wouldn’t be on yearly installments. Here’s what I saw on SD:

Bruce Jenkins retweeted
      Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan · 56m56 minutes ago
      The Padres are taking over the world: Sources say San Diego is working out Yoan Moncada today and plans to be aggressive in bidding for him.

8. giants54 said, on February 9, 2015 at 9:52 am

Boras obviously thought with Lester and Scherzer getting huge deals, Shields could get 5 yrs. After he declined 4/80, Giants moved on and signed Jake. They weren’t then coming back to Shields.

9. James said, on February 9, 2015 at 9:53 am

If the price for having Shields come crawling back was not signing Vogey, SF should have paid it.

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2015 at 9:54 am

If I had to chose one pitcher to start a 2015 post season game, and the choice was Voggy vs Shields, I’d take Voggy, confidently.

• James said, on February 9, 2015 at 10:06 am

Like every other player who’s done poorly in the post season, Shields is due for some better games in October 🙂

• giants54 said, on February 9, 2015 at 10:23 am

By that logic, Peavy should absolutely dominate in his next postseason gig.

• Alleykat said, on February 9, 2015 at 10:42 am

Yeah that same logic should apply to Kershaw as well, but it “DOESNT”😃

10. Alleykat said, on February 9, 2015 at 10:10 am

I would too BF,
    Big Game Shields is a joke come playoff time compared to Big Game Enchiladas!

11. James said, on February 9, 2015 at 11:51 am

Looking at the box scores for the last post season, Vogey pitched one good game and was hammered twice. Shields was also terrible a couple of times, threw ok against the As, and was pretty good twice. His nickname isn’t doing him any service in the PR dept.

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I never expected that the dude who abhors small sample sizes would only look at Voggy’s most recent post season and ignore the rest of his work. Check out his career post season stats and get back to me.

• James said, on February 9, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Post season stats are by definition a small sample size, which is why i judge players on their overall numbers, not some bogus “reputation” built on the former.

• Flavor said, on February 9, 2015 at 2:39 pm

but you didn’t. You judged him off a sample of the size we were talking about.

• James said, on February 9, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I’ll repeat that I wouldn’t put much stock in post season numbers *period* for deciding who would pitch a future playoff game.

Vogey had one very good post-season in 2012, a year he pitched pretty well in the regular season, too. He was 35 years old then. He’s had two subpar seasons since then and wasn’t very good in the 2014 post season at age 37. Next season he’ll be 38.

12. unca_chuck said, on February 9, 2015 at 12:31 pm

The Giants may be in the running for Macarena. If I’ve learned anything about Sabes and Co. it’s that they do a good job of keeping shit real quiet til they pull the trigger.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 9, 2015 at 1:18 pm

I’d like to believe that but don’t because another thing about Sabean is that he pretty much choreographs his moves with public statements. Regarding Moncada he has basically said it ain’t happening. I could see Vaciedo or Olivera though.

13. unca_chuck said, on February 9, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Right, Xoot. Whatever the tax is (and I guess it is equal to the contract), it is payable within 30 days of the deal signing.

• xoot said, on February 9, 2015 at 2:43 pm

yeah, I can see the Commissioner calling the signing team’s owner. “Hey, your payment of $40M into our international development fund was due yesterday. Well, that’s true. We still don’t know what we’re going to do with that fund. But I’m telling you, as a courtesy, your payment’s overdue. Penalties may accrue.”

14. Bozo said, on February 9, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I just read that Tim Alderson signed a minor league deal with the Nationals. Even with all the time that Freddy spent on the DL, that still looks like a great trade to me.

15. Alleykat said, on February 9, 2015 at 12:47 pm

At Fanfest,
    Players were in mid-season form ripping Jeremy Affedlt. Cain when asked who would you like to wrestle? “Easy, that would be Affeldt, he would probably climb thru the ring and hurt himself”

• Irish Kevin said, on February 9, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Its no wonder these guys can win WS’s. They really are a team.

16. snarkk said, on February 9, 2015 at 1:53 pm

If the pads get Moncada, then I will really scratch my head about what the giants R thinking. More money avail to take risks compared to Diego, but no stomach for it. McGehee is a one year player. Then what? Are there other 3rd baseman coming around as FAs in 2016?

17. snarkk said, on February 9, 2015 at 1:55 pm

BTW, who gets paid this tax on Moncada ? The league?

• xoot said, on February 9, 2015 at 2:48 pm

according to some reading I did on baseballamerica and fangraphs, the “tax” money goes into a special fund set aside for international operations–and nobody seems to know what that means. Apparently mlb and the union expected the tax penalties for spending beyond the teams’ signing “pools” to be relatively modest. Cuba messed it all up, I guess. The entire “pool” and “slot” system is just a way to try to govern international signings in lieu of a draft. Teams with bad records get larger “pools”–i.e., permission to spend more to sign players–although last year I think Houston was tops, and theirs was only around $5M for all int’l signing bonuses. Weird system.

18. blade3colorado said, on February 9, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Simple explanation of why he signed with the Padres . . . He grew up there and consequently, the Padres have received a hometown discount from the pitcher — he was born and raised just north of Los Angeles, in Newhall and Santa Clarita, respectively, he makes his home in San Diego. In fact, he just bought a new home there not too long ago. In short, this is where he wanted to go.

• Bozo said, on February 10, 2015 at 5:33 am

Thanks Blade. OK, I can see why he signed with the Padres over the Giants, I’d probably sign for less to be close to home as well. Who am I kidding? I’d sign a one year deal for the most I could get, playing anywhere, and then I’d retire.

19. blade3colorado said, on February 9, 2015 at 2:14 pm

“I still think he had a preference to stay in the AL. Why else does he turn down a 3 time world champion with a bigger monetary offer as Flav describes? Padres could not have been his first choice. He should fire his agent for f’ing this up.”

GH, not true . . . Many sources have indicated he wanted to play on the West coast, especially in San Diego (see my post above). No idea where you are getting your info.

Bob NightengaleVerified account ‏@BNightengale

James Shields has a strong preference to stay West near his San Diego home, according to several GMs who have spoken to his reps.

20. unca_chuck said, on February 9, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Snarkk, yeah the league gets the money.

21. blade3colorado said, on February 9, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I hope he doesn’t mind, but Pawlie wrote this and I enjoyed reading it for a number of personal reasons . . .

the dancer and the dance

William Butler Yeats asked it, as did Leonard Cohen, and the novelist Andrew Holleran, each in his own way. As have many others. How can we tell the dancer from the dance? And naturally, when immersed in the doing, the experience, the act, the being, the living, we cannot distinguish the one from the other. (Obviously, this extends well beyond dancing to Anything.) The dancer and the dance are one, serving as a model of zen purity, mindful living, and oneness. Yes.

22. xoot said, on February 9, 2015 at 4:04 pm

mlbtr posted the final US amateur draft order for this year. Giants have 18 and (for Pablo) 31. Also there’s a list of the sliding scale US signing bonus pools, analogous to the Int’l pools. Can you imagine how many hours the mlb and union lawyers and negotiators spent hammering out all of these regulations designed to promote parity? Lots of money at stake, though.

23. zumiee said, on February 9, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Today’s Puig gif. He wasn’t aware of how the infield-fly rule works, and he got tagged out on the intentional drop. The Mets shortstop didn’t seem too clear on it, either.

24. zumiee said, on February 9, 2015 at 4:49 pm

This baseball book festival looks pretty cool. Too far away for me, though, for an event that only lasts four hours. Maybe it will grow in the future:

• zumiee said, on February 9, 2015 at 4:53 pm

This is where it’s being held. Looks like a very cool venue:

• James said, on February 9, 2015 at 7:34 pm

At the risk of once again being called out for being a contrarian with gratuitous opinions, I’ll claim there’s nothing cool about Indianapolis except for maybe http://nickyblaines.com and the fact it’s the home town of one branch of The Vulgar Boatmen.

• willedav said, on February 9, 2015 at 7:57 pm

James, add in home of Oscar Robertson, kid from Indianapolis projects.
        Went to Crispus Attucks High (dead giveaway there) and as a soph lost state finals to Milan, which was the school that served as model for the one in movie Hoosiers.
        Next 2 years his teams lost 1 game total and both times won State, as the Big O as a senior was named Mr. Basketball of Indiana, no mean feat.

Without question one of the best b-ball players I ever saw.

• James said, on February 9, 2015 at 9:13 pm

WillieD, I wonder if The Big O considered himself a Hoosier . . . .

25. unca_chuck said, on February 9, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Speaking of Sophs, I saw Sophrostyne was posting on the merc or the San Rafael whatever blog.

Wonder if he and OSF ever got together.

• willedav said, on February 9, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Gad Chuck, another POTD in the making. Maybe it was after party for Bryn Mawr grad ceremonies….or as Captain Beefheart said, “so this is a drive in restaurant in Hollywood…”
      I don’t think Twin would allow Soph over at merc blog no matter what alias was being used.

My pc, which likely has more good sense than I do, does not like the San Jose Merc. It won’t scroll down anything I try to read, like the giants blog or Kawakami and takes forever to load. Have same issue with SFGate…go figure.

26. Flavor said, on February 10, 2015 at 7:11 am

for my next trick…..a new thread.