Baseball is Nowhere

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 12, 2015

Got tired of looking at a thread with “San Diego Padres” in it. We are running on fumes here at Flap Headquarters.

Pitchers and catchers report to Scottsdale on February 18th.

tick tock, tick tock, tick tock….

Anyone wanna talk about golf? Who’s got the winner of the AT&T? If you can nail a PGA winner cold then I will tell you that you really did something this Winter….

1. unca_chuck said, on February 12, 2015 at 7:36 am

At least the Dubs are entertaining. They overcame a shitty wolves squad, Klay Thompson in a major shooting funk, and 3 refs giving EVERY call to Minn in the 2nd half, and still won by 3.

They are running on fumes as well.

2nd half free throws were 21-2.

2. xoot said, on February 12, 2015 at 7:48 am

Interesting stuff on mlbtr this morning–the Cubans, et al. One article takes a quick look at the tax consequences of signing with California teams. I don’t know jack shit about taxes, but the main point seems to be pretty simple. California charges individuals a hefty state income tax; the baseball states of Florida and Texas and Washington charge nothing, while other states charge a lot less than Calif. does. (Last year Calif.’s top rate was 13.3%; NY’s was 9.9%.; Mass., 5.2%; Ill., 5%; ) So tell me if my calculator’s right: Pablo’s $18M (approx.) annual salary is worth $1.5M per year more in Mass. than it would be worth in Calif.?

3. willedav said, on February 12, 2015 at 8:13 am

Zum brought up another issue for Pads, no one that can hit is a CF. I can see lot of things going wrong for SF but not finishing below 2nd.
    NL Central has too many decent teams for Pads to make a WC contender. Everyone except Reds should be good and Pirates Cards very good. Maybe Marlins make a push for WC but Nats should run away with East. As they did last year until…

Pablo is still gonna rake. I can’t get my head around the difference btw $90 and $100 mil. I would think any decent accountant/financial planner can mitigate some of that.
    As far as ATT, I’ve wondered if Latin players used to warmer climes don’t care for it, esp playing at night. We all know that in summers it’s quite different in SF than anywhere 20 minutes away. Cracks me up to be watching a game from couch in shorts and no shirt in July where the fans are all bundled up.

• xoot said, on February 12, 2015 at 11:06 am

Financial planners? They know taxes, true. Charles Johnson, the Giants’ principal owner these days, lives on the San Mateo peninsula, but he “resides” in Florida, a nontax state.

• xoot said, on February 12, 2015 at 11:14 am

apparently under the “duty day” rule, professional athletes pay Calif. tax according to the percentage of the year they spend in the state practicing and playing here, even if they “reside” elsewhere. Even visiting athletes get dinged in Calif.

4. Alleykat said, on February 12, 2015 at 8:38 am

I like Jason Day taking the tournament.
    Could in up in a playoff with my other picks Jimmy Walker ( Red) and Patrick (Jerry)Reed, but In the end it will be a “Beautiful Day” for Jason!

5. giants54 said, on February 12, 2015 at 9:33 am

I usually only watch final round of majors, especially British. Depends on who is in the hunt, but will admit only two players in 50 yrs of watching golf who were must sees if they were in contention; Arnold Palmer and Tiger Woods. Never was much of a Nicklaus fan or cared for Mickelson, but would feel more compelled to watch if they were in the hunt.
    Interesting that with so many good players today, none of them can generate a genuine buzz like the aforementioned.

6. Macdog said, on February 12, 2015 at 9:46 am

I’ll go with Brandt Snedeker.

RIP Tark. Anyone who can sue the NCAA and win is alright with me. A quote about Tark from a local NBA agent here in Jersey: “I just read somewhere where he said, ‘Nine out of ten teams cheat, and the tenth team is in last place.’ ”

And another from Tark: “The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, they’ll probably slap a few more years’ probation on Cleveland State.”

7. stickman said, on February 12, 2015 at 10:30 am

28 below zero hereabouts at sunup this morning but only -2 now. So i’m basking, basking, basking. Opened up the monday sports section in the as previously unread October 27 edition of the New York Times. Their front cover story read “A Giant among Giants”, a very nice piece on Sabean and his trail of successes. They must have been reading tealeaves. Series was tied at 2-2 with Bumgarner going against that loser at San Diego, now.

Friend who did 22 heavy years time living in Manhattan still gets the NYT and i get them after a few weeks. Love the crossword puzzles ~ though Schortz should not ALLOW popkultch krap in the Friday and Saturday ones as they’re hard enough to do already without having to know the identity of some goddamn boobtoob booby starring in some 1986 mindrot. In any event, i saved up the critical mid-October and early November issues for pre-S.T. enjoyment. And man did i enjoy that October 27th one.

• Bozo said, on February 12, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Friends have sent me the full Chron championship editions for each WS win and I still haven’t read them. I might have to pull those bad boys out. Good call Stick.

I do the crosswords on a gaming site called Pogo and the guy that kills me is Randolph Ross (he sometimes does puzzles for the NYT). Out of the blue he will throw in clues that are in categories I’m not to keen on (religion, current TV or Pop music), but what kills me are his puns.

8. Nipper said, on February 12, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Can’t wait for those meaningless spring training stories that flood the local media soon. Oh the thrill!

9. snarkk said, on February 12, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Taxes generate a lot of moves players make. Golfers too. These guys don’t live in TX, AZ and FL just for the sunshine. When you’re talking scores of millions of dollars on a LT deal, a few percentage points diff on the state tax rate makes a big difference on the take home…

10. stickman said, on February 12, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Project time: Giants just signed former Cleveland RHP Fernando Cabrera to a minor league contract,. The big Puerto Rican has not logged in MLB innings since SF’s first World Championship year but has had a quite good AAA record. Likely a Rivercat in waiting. Giants are one of maybe 3 MLB teams who are super at pitcher redevelopment. Lonnng shot, but who knows? He would be downlist from the likely callups by two or three levels.

• Alleykat said, on February 12, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Definitely a slow day Stick,
      Cause I wasted minutes off my life checking out Cabera’s stats and he “Sucks donkey dick”

• Irish Kevin said, on February 12, 2015 at 5:39 pm

👍👍👍

11. Bozo said, on February 12, 2015 at 4:42 pm

No baseball? How about a good-ass valentine gift suggestion? Besides “I poured the stuff in me bum and it all run past me nuts into me face.” being a great quote, the video at the end, cracked me up. (all puns intended)

12. Nipper said, on February 12, 2015 at 5:29 pm

BLEEP Golf. Just a bunch of smug rich guys getting richer.

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2015 at 5:35 pm

well then you’re gonna hate tomorrow’s thread, Nip

• Nipper said, on February 12, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Why do golfers favor white shoes?

13. paulinasia said, on February 12, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Just saying hi to the Flap on the morning of Friday the 13th here in Saigon, as I wrap things up at school today in preparation for my lunar new year holiday (lunar new year begins next Thursday). Fly to the US tomorrow, 2 weeks in the frigid east and then 1 week in the Bay Area. Man, does that always feel good to step outside at SFO after visiting the wintry east. Wearing a t-shirt and flip flops in these equatorial tropics and will step outside of Newark airport on Saturday to… what?? Zero degrees?? Yikes…. Yes, bring on Spring Training already…… catch you on the other side.

• blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Be safe Paul . . . By the by, if by chance they reroute you to Denver due to snow, give me a shout – I’ll take ya out to dinner. 🙂

14. Irish Kevin said, on February 12, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Watching golf, bowling and car racing, quite possibly the most boring sports to watch on TV. And golfers are so aragant. One year an Olympic announcer says look at that 12 year old little girl doing back flips and twisting in the air and landing on a 4 inch wide beam in a gym with othe competition going on around her and people cheering and making all kinds of noise. Now we have a golfer who throws a hissy fit over someone clearing their throat.
    Golfers….what little Whiney bitches!!

• Flavor said, on February 12, 2015 at 6:51 pm

the fact that you don’t know how to play the game or understand it precludes you from getting to comment on it

• Irish Kevin said, on February 12, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Lol I play Flav, I just don’t like the attitude of golfers.

15. blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Yes Xoot, you are right about the tax impact of playing in California (albeit, not certain about the exact numbers). I have mentioned this numerous times about the Giants offer to both Lester and Pablo as matching anyone else’s, with one caveat – the tax advantage of playing outside California trumps our offers. This is especially true this season, because the GMen have more California inter-league games. Now, couple that with San Francisco being probably the most expensive place to buy a home and live, it isn’t any wonder to me why the player’s bean counter(s) advise them not to go here.

16. blade3colorado said, on February 12, 2015 at 6:25 pm

I echo Macdog’s post about Tark . . . I met him at an occupational safety and health conference I attended in Baltimore, during the mid 90s. A very gracious man. During the conference, he gave us a motivational speech on winning . . . a very plain spoken, but articulate man. Sort of chuckling, because at the same conference I gave a training session and a business suit was de rigueur . . . Unfortunately, my suitcase with my suit was a thousand miles away in Miami (frickin’ airlines) and I ended up giving my spiel in blue jeans and Polo shirt. Ha.

Speaking of Tark’s many battles with the NCAA, I lqtm at this one: Tarkanian liked to tell the story about the time one of his assistants saw an NCAA investigator renting a car at the airport and followed him to a local strip club. Tarkanian got some brochures for the club and mailed them to the investigator, telling him there was a special going on.

17. Flavor said, on February 12, 2015 at 6:50 pm

a new and improved thread awaits….