Cain and Posey Tied Up

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 14, 2015

You thought you were gonna read a *50 Shades of Grey* thread, right?

Cain and Posey both dropped down the leaderboard a bit but they are still tied at -16. For sports reference, Wayne Gretzky and his son in law stud golfer Dustin Johnson are at -17 and Alex Smith and his partner Jason Gore are at -13.  The current leaders are named Brian Swette and Louis Welch. I don’t know why they’re famous. CEO’s maybe.

Going into today’s round, you KNOW that Posey and Cain have a sizable bet on the outcome, right? Five K? More? If Pebble was a little closer I’d make the drive down to watch it all unfold. Both of them will probably make the cut so if it stays close today they’ll probably bet their next baseball contract on the final round results…..

1. wilcojoe said, on February 14, 2015 at 7:20 am

I caught a bit of yesterday’s round on the Golf Channel replay last night. They only show footage from Pebble, so I am hoping that’s where they’re playing today. The coverage the last two days was pathetic. How many times can you show Tom Dreesen and who the hell is Gary Mule Deer? But the weather was spectacular, and this is my favorite non-major tournament of the year, so I look forward to the weekend finish. Let’s hope Posey and Cain get some serious air time.

2. willedav said, on February 14, 2015 at 7:27 am

Cain might be single most important guy on Giants team this year. He is owed $21 mil per year for next 3 yrs with team option for 2018 and $7 mil buyout. Props to his agents, one of whom is Kyle Rote Jr., who I believe played pro soccer here but who’s dad was famous footballer for old NY Giants.

Cain was going strong as late as 2012 when he had a great season as an AS and a guy with a 2.79 ERA. Everything since has been a drop off with the ERA at 4.00 and above, and last year a waste as he finally went in to remove the bone chips. If he can resume something near his old ways and give Giants a solid 1-2 at top of rotation I’d feel a lot better at seeing likes of Blanco/Aoki/MacG in the LU on a steady basis.

By same token, any further health or other issues for Cain…

• blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2015 at 7:58 am

Yeah, it is fairly obvious to me that Cain is the linchpin of the rotation. If he face plants, then it will be very difficult to make the playoffs (not impossible – because our boys have shown they can do the impossible – see 2014).

3. Nipper said, on February 14, 2015 at 7:41 am

Flavor at a chick flick? That would be a hoot!

4. blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2015 at 7:46 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Is it baseball season yet? People have commented on the various dates that are the complete bottom insofar as sports I find relevant and golf ain’t it . . . Couple that with not being able to bet on NBA games, this is the pits for someone who is waiting for baseball season to begin. I knew I should have stayed in Thailand through March. lqtm. 🙂

5. willedav said, on February 14, 2015 at 8:40 am

OK semi golf/baseball note:

In Chron yesterday was rundown on local college baseball teams, and Santa Clara standout was Stevie Berman, who hit .322 as a C last year and also pitches.
    I coached him as 7th grade b-baller and he played 4 yrs at public HS. Our 7th grade team won league 10-0 and beat Aaron Gordon’s team in his own gym to win title. Gordon played 4 yrs for Archbishop Mitty, couple times was in state title games, had 1 season at Arizona and is now in NBA for Orlando.
    One of Berman’s teammates, a 3 pt shooting small guard on 7th team is playing college golf too for Sac St.

Thanks to Zum for putting up another one of Puig’s epic Ks vs. Cards in last year playoffs.
    Didn’t he get yanked out a game for some epic f-ups in the OF the season before that vs. Cards?
    That was the series where the kid Wacha beat Opie twice to eliminate their ass.

I could easily see Giants having enough issues this year to finish 10 games out, while Dodgers and Nats romp. But playoffs, as they have proven time and again, are different story. Let SF in, and no telling.

6. salty said, on February 14, 2015 at 9:05 am

I am an odd one I guess. I actually enjoy the winter break, especially with another title to reflect on. I need the 4-5 months to get fully excited again and ready for the long haul, especially after a WS run.
    I wonder of anyone else felt this, but my interest in sports in general waned after number 3. It was so thoroughly dramatic and satisfying, everything else sort of paled. I generally watch the Warriors, but this year less so, even though they are in first. Now I’m more anxious for the NBA playoffs to get started, since Warriors have locked up a spot. April and baseball will be here soon enough and I’ll be pumped to see…er, McGhee and Aoki slicing em into the gap.

7. zumiee said, on February 14, 2015 at 10:34 am

Cain could make a nice run at the Comeback Player of the Year Award. He’ll be coming into this season wanting to prove he’s still legit.
    Lincecum doesn’t have an injury reason for his woes; he just declined with age. He seems destined to be a bullpen guy this season, depending on how injury-free the starters can stay. Petit will get some starts, too, here and there.
    The Giants’ path to October seems to be a Wild Card again, and you have to like their chances with Bumgarner in the Wild Card game again.

8. zumiee said, on February 14, 2015 at 10:43 am

Here’s the last Puig gif I’ll post for a while. There are more gifs out there of Puig looking foolish, but I’ll give him a break for a while. 🙂
    Here he is getting schooled at the All-Star Game:

9. zumiee said, on February 14, 2015 at 10:51 am

Another thing I’ll say about Puig: the Dodgers really should have gotten him to stop doing that huge bat-flip he does after every homerun. It’s just going to keep causing trouble throughout his career. It gets pitchers throwing at him, and gets the Dodgers involved in brawls. It’s a needless thing that adds to his distraction-factor for the Dodgers. But they haven’t dealt with it. That’s on Mattingly, IMO.
    In the playoffs against the Cardinals it got him drilled for doing the big bat-flip after a triple.

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2015 at 10:58 am

Although, I have to give Mattingly some props for sitting Puig in that last playoff game. That may have raised some eyebrows in DodgerLand, but Mattingly showed some backbone there.

10. snarkk said, on February 14, 2015 at 11:04 am

Cain has some serious pitching to do this season. He’s making way too much cash for mediocre at his age and no more bone chips. If he’s not around a 3.25 or better era, he’s heading into bad contract territory a year early, if he’s not already there…

• Nipper said, on February 14, 2015 at 11:28 am

Snarkk lays down the law! His dog cries “woof!”

• snarkk said, on February 14, 2015 at 11:56 am

Snarkkdogg never cries “woof”. He never cries at all.
        He does “sniff” when the Giants lose, and when there are no more treats flying his way.
        BTW, when it comes to fielding flying treats, Snarkkdogg NEVER drops. Loops, pop ups, frozen ropes, off to the side, even short hops off the floor — doesn’t matter. Great range, great mouth.
        He has a better UZR that Freddles ever did…

11. Macdog said, on February 14, 2015 at 11:45 am

There was a Pav story on Cain last week that mentioned how Cain and Pagan have exchanged texts calling each other “almost two pickups” for the Giants’ offseason. A nice thought for sure. but I’d be happy if even one of them returns to form in 2015. My money would be on Cain, given that there’s been plenty of pitchers who have come back from arm surgery, whereas Pagan is trying to return from much more problematic back surgery.

• blade3colorado said, on February 14, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Actually Mac, IMO there is a lot of truth in what they have said. This is one of the reasons why I have almost zero concern about the Giants upcoming season.

• DJLoo said, on February 14, 2015 at 3:21 pm

It’ll never happen, but if any team was ever going to try a 6 man starting rotation, the 2015 Giants make the most sense…

12. snarkk said, on February 14, 2015 at 2:36 pm

If Posey wins the Pro Am at Pebble, that would be a weird but awesome exacta — win the ATT and a WS ring in a matter of months…

13. twinfan1 said, on February 14, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Hi guys. Not been posting much, we’re pretty much a mess in Scotts-Burgh. I’m looking to Pitcher and Catcher’s day to fix us up. Meanwhile I’ve watched Ishi’s walk off about 600 times and I’m becoming a HOF napper. Catch you all later. .

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2015 at 4:42 pm

great to see you Twin. Hopefully we’ll see more of you when baseball starts. Hang in there

• ewisco said, on February 14, 2015 at 9:51 pm

keep on keeping on twin.

14. zumiee said, on February 14, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Loo, I had a thought of not necessarily a straight-forward 6-man rotation, but a kind of floating rotation, where Bumgarner gets his regular starts every 5th day, and the other 5 guys are scheduled around that in order, saving some wear on tear on older arms, and Cain coming off of surgery.
    It’s pretty far outside-the-box, admittedly.

• DJLoo said, on February 14, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I like it, Zum…

15. zumiee said, on February 14, 2015 at 4:05 pm

The Giants are a team built for the playoffs, and not so much the regular season (which has worked out rather well for them the last 5 years), and there are lots of teams that are kind of the opposite. Reading Baseball Prospectus 2015, I read that the Dodgers were 26-33 last season against teams that were over .500. That was the worst record in that regard of ANY of the 10 playoff teams. By the end of the season, the Dodgers’ overall bullpen was actually pretty lousy. But the Dodgers were able to beat up on bad and mediocre teams all season, and cruise to a playoff spot.
    Ideally, of course, a team would be built for the regular season AND the playoffs; but that’s not easy to do, given all the factors involved, including the huge factor of payroll.

16. Alleykat said, on February 14, 2015 at 5:56 pm

In the battle to make the cut in the pro/am, yes indeedy both our beloved Giants, Buster Posey and Matt Cain ,have made it to Sunday’s final round at gorgeous Pebble Beach with identical -25 scores, yes this battle for some dough and bragging rights is going down to the wire.

• Flavor said, on February 14, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I went down there today. Weather was absurd, not a breath of wind. I took my daughter to the Aquarium and I had plans on taking her over to the links but we didn’t get there till 11am and she was pretty locked into the aquarium so I didn’t make it over to Pebble. But tomorrow is shaping up for an epic ending with all these dudes shooting lights out….

17. snarkk said, on February 14, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I’m not sure I agree the Giants are built for the playoffs now. They just snuck into the playoffs this year, and because of a historic performance by Bum from Pittsburgh to game 7 in KC, they won the whole enchilada. I don’t see how one more season’s wear on 3 old arms, a chipsless elbow on Cain, and Bum, less Panda, means the Giants are built for the playoffs. The Pen was nails, yeah, but now a year older. I think we need a younger arm in the rotation, and more pop. Giants can’t count on Bum to basically throw a shutout every game in the next playoff rounds, if they sneak in again. And, I do think if they get in, it’ll be a WC spot…

• zumiee said, on February 14, 2015 at 6:45 pm

The Giants have done some adding of pieces in the middles of seasons during the 3 in 5, and will probably end up needing to do that in the middle of this season, also. How well they reload has always been the key. ’10, ’12, ’14 very well; ’11 and ’13 not well.

18. giants54 said, on February 14, 2015 at 6:37 pm

I think we can all agree that giants have never truly looked ready for a post season until they are actually in the WS and then it’s like wtf?

• giants54 said, on February 14, 2015 at 6:38 pm

I can’t count the number of times I buried them last year.

19. zumiee said, on February 14, 2015 at 6:53 pm

The Baseball Hall of Fame’s website has as its featured article, in honor of Black History Month, a nice article about Monte Irvin, and some cool photos. Love that photo of him on-deck, veins standing out on his arms. There’s something about black and white photography that can capture such depth and drama.
    Irvin, of course, played for the Giants during the era which included the magical ’51 and ’54 seasons. Had Willie Mays not been drafted for military service in ’52 and ’53, who knows what might have happened in those two seasons.

20. DJLoo said, on February 14, 2015 at 9:01 pm

As a KC Chief fan like me, SanDawg may enjoy this outstanding article:

• willedav said, on February 14, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Way cool. I was Raider fan in those days but Chiefs were awesome, full of super athletes that knew how to play football and very innovative under Stram. Raider KC games were epic battles. One of my best buddies from HS moved here from KC early 60s and kept his allegiance. He is still an A’s fan.

Very cool about the scout guy that scored all those great players out of the southern all black schools. My hero Noland Smith came out of Tennessee St, famous as a track school.

Jenkins week or so ago said Bobby Lee Bell one of best athletes he ever saw, quick enough as big linebacker to cover wide outs and running backs. Willie Lanier was just amazing.

21. DJLoo said, on February 15, 2015 at 5:04 am

I knew you’d like it Willie. The Super Gnat!

22. unca_chuck said, on February 16, 2015 at 9:21 am

Yeah, Otis Taylor was one of my favorite players back in the day. Lenny Dawson wasn’t so bad himself.