Fortuna Spinneth Downward

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 20, 2015

Well, this spring training could be going better. First, Romo gets shut down with a sore shoulder. Now, Bruce Bochy has a heart procedure and is resting in the hospital. Don’t even get me started on the freaking ice rink that’s taken over the floor of Levi’s Stadium.

Sounds like Boch is ok but obviously, our thoughts and prayers are with him.

1. sfsarge said, on February 20, 2015 at 5:43 am

It’s an odd year, are we surprised? I don’t think the Levi’s curse affects the Giants. And I’m so glad to hear that Boch is ok. I couldn’t help but think that the run might be over. Obviously the man needs to do what’s best for him and his family, but I would be really sad if this incident lead to his retirement. Things like this make a person evaluate their priorities and he could easily decide he wants to leave baseball and spend time at home with his family.

2. Bozo said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:10 am

It sounds like Boch should be OK so thats a good thing. It would be a huge loss if he was out for any length of time, hang in there Bruce.

3. blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:26 am

Get well Bruce!

4. Alleykat said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:40 am

Get well Coach!!
    Your in all Flap thoughts!
    🙌🙌🙌

5. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:43 am

Stents are pretty much in and out and done, with little recovery time, but it’s the underlying shit that led them to be needed that is the concern.

Hope Bochy gets himself in order toot sweet.

Man, all I will say is, if this is the end of the run, I’ve witnessed 9 championships between the Niners, Giants, and Dubs. Not to get maudlin, but it has been a hell of a run after that lone Warrior championship my first 20 years.

6. Nipper said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:53 am

I’ve got two of them for about five years. Still walk two to three miles a day.

7. zumiee said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:55 am

Get well soon, Bochy! And Romo!
    —-
    Regarding Russo, yeah, he’s an acquired taste that I’ve never acquired. That’s the only show on MLB Network that I can’t watch, although it’s cool that he’s a longtime SF Giants fan. And he does have a lot of baseball knowledge. It’s just that frenetic voice that doesn’t work for everyone.
    Intentional Talk can be a little hard to watch at times, too, because Millar’s schtick can wear thin.
    Bryan Kenny seems to have found his groove with the MLB Now show, and MLB Tonight is a solid highlights and news show. I’m curious how Hot Stove will evolve during the season, or if the show drops out during the season. It’s a nice baseball morning show. Light humor and baseball chit-chat, with a little news mixed in. Pretty much like all other morning shows, a la The Today Show.
    —-
    Regarding new pace-of-game rules, the one that seems the most shaky is the one about the manager having to stay in the dugout to appeal calls. The managers are still going to want to find a way to delay so that someone on the team can look at video. Now the players will be the ones finding ways to stall out there, so the video can be looked at. Nobody wants to waste appeals on calls that have little or no chance of being overturned.

8. gianthead said, on February 20, 2015 at 8:23 am

I like Mad Dog. First listened to him whenever I was near NY on the FAN…I am sure Paulie and Loo will have strong opinions. I don’t catch him much on Sirius XM but he had one of the greatest rants of all time in the 2010 season when the Giants blew that one game in Colorado, think they came back to to tie it, take a sizable lead in extra innings and then Brian Wilson i believe proceeded to blow it.

Russo got on the next day nearly in tears about waiting his whole life for the Giants to win just one world series and bemoaning that loss. I think it went on for a half hour…classic radio and classic Mad Dog…

9. willedav said, on February 20, 2015 at 8:34 am

Maybe Bochy looked at bench, continuing issue for a few seasons now and that sent blood pressure over the edge. Unfortunately LA has an edge there too, with Justin Turner (who had great season last year) and Darwin barney on IF and Van Slyke in OF to platoon with Crawford, plus Ethier if he’s still around.
    Maybe Duffy forces his way in and one of the kid OFs out of the system finally becomes ml hitter.
    Was it Loo that nicknamed Whiteside “The Prez”?

Gotta admit I check out Bracketology for college b-ball, which is heating up as conference races come to a close. Cal-Stanford pretty big for both teams this weekend. Cards are one of last four out at this point, but a W over Cal and a sweep when they host Oregon schools should put them back in and ahead of Ducks and Bruins for a spot in Tourney behind AZ and Utes. Doubt the Pac gets more than 3 in.

Surprised Card women won so easily at Cal the other night, but they have more capable shooters than Cal does and VanD regularly out coaches others, as she has for a long time. Cal coach Gottleib seems like front runner who is fine if team is doing well but can’t adjust when they are not.

10. gianthead said, on February 20, 2015 at 8:34 am

Isn’t it a little surprising that Bochy is only 59? Those are some hard living years. I figured he was 64 when we won the first world series. I take it that his drinking sessions with Sabean into the wee hours is going to be severely curtailed.

11. willedav said, on February 20, 2015 at 9:04 am

Interesting column on F-G about Dodgers dumping $53 mil on 2 Cubans who don’t seem to be able to stick with them, Alex Guerrero and Arruebarrena kid.
    For all the hype on a guy’s potential there are still guys like Yuniesky Betancourt and Dayan Viciedo who just aren’t very good ml ballplayers and don’t live up to it or match a good first season.

12. blade3colorado said, on February 20, 2015 at 9:14 am

Non baseball topic question for bay area folks (especially Chuck). A bleacher report column –

Made reference to 2 prior media news conferences, where Tomsula essentially came off sounding like a no nothing imbecile. Is this true? Or, was it just stage fright? I haven’t even seen this guy speak in public, much less know anything about him. Apparently, as this column confirms – he did much better at his most recent NFL Combine press conference.

13. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2015 at 9:49 am

Yeah, he said during this presser that he was up the whole night before the first one.

For all the flak the niners are catching, a change surely needed to be made. At least offensively. I wasn’t happy with the coaching staff being gutted, but I was fine with most of the offensive coaches going.

Chryst is a biiiiig question mark though.

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 20, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Hard to see Bochy retiring. I think he has a sense of commitment to not just the players but also guys like Kelly, Hayes and Whiteside that will keep him in the dugout through his current contract.

Anyone else see the new rules to speed up the game from commissioner Manfred? Bunch of stupid ideas in my opinion. Doing away with walk up music would be innovative and apparently save 20 seconds. I do agree with doing something about the replay challenge process. Keeping the manager off the the field makes some sense. I would like to see something change with the umps and the communication system being walked onto the field like they’re going to land an aircraft. This is a professional league. They ought to be able to come up with something better.

• Alleykat said, on February 20, 2015 at 1:22 pm

“Hard to see Bochy retiring ”
      Yeah I agree Dirt, see him going a few more years just for a chance for 5 rings, what the hell. Then does anyone think Ron Wotus will get the gig, or I will Jim Tomsula lobby for it 😀

• Bozo said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Dirt, the first thing I thought of when I read the new rule was great, give the umps another discretionary call.

15. zumiee said, on February 20, 2015 at 3:07 pm

On the MLB Now show the other day they talked about how the play on the field has also contributed to the slower pace of games these days. More batters are swinging for the fences with two strikes on them, and more batters are grinding out long ABs, with the goal of getting walks, and raising the opposing starting pitcher’s pitch-count. I can’t remember the numbers that were said, but it was something like nowadays 25% of the ABs don’t put a ball in play, and 20 years ago the number was 17%. The ball being put into play creates action for the viewer to see, obviously.
    Strikeouts are growing at all-time highs. What’s the cure for that? The panel didn’t have much to offer, other than lowering the mound another few inches. With all teams looking for power, the free swingers are swinging harder than ever.

16. stickman said, on February 20, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Judging from reports from Scottsdale it would appear that my previous good feeling about Cain coming back all the way may not have been misplaced. This read was premised on the fact that the team did not feel the need to go full-bore on one of the top FA starters available this offseason. Told me that they were pretty sure Matt the Horse would be back pulling his load like he did during those first two Championship seasons.

Personal take now is that what had been slightly better than 50-50 odds of a full recovery from our #2 have jumped positively by quite a few basis-points. No need to elaborate about the potency of a L-R one-two punch opening up a series at home or on the road. This also means there will be less stress on Peavey as the purported #3 needing to boost his game and it will also ease matters for Hudson and Timmy. As for #55 i’m supposing that the combination of daddy’s coaching and it being his walk-year from the S17M contract may have some positive effect. The old gas-throwing Lincecum? No way. But if he can recover his game to say something around a 3.75 ERA over strong 6-inning stretches, those pundits who have once again dismissed the World Champs winning all the marbles again may find themselves dining on fine, fricassee of crow.

• Flavor said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:16 pm

a bad angle. That’s awesome. The only thing that’s gonna save Sandoval is that park. He can slap shit off the LF wall and hit more hr’s than he would anywhere else. But he’s in for a WORLD of hurt if he doesn’t come out of the box raking. And as Giants fans know, The Panda can go months in a hitting slump….

17. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Speaking of Panda . . .

18. DJLoo said, on February 20, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Letterman looks and sounds half-dead.

• Nipper said, on February 21, 2015 at 4:27 am

He’s retiring. For sure he’s stayed around too long.

19. unca_chuck said, on February 20, 2015 at 9:12 pm

No shit. He hasn’t been funny since the 80s.

Dubs and Spurs playing an amazing game.

20. xoot said, on February 20, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Good piece. http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/2015/02/20/spring-notes-even-baseball-lifers-limits-cain-comparison-etc/

Baggarly had the balls to break the Melky roid story before anyone else in 2012, and he had the balls to report what he saw going on in the clubhouse last year. He got promoted for the former and fired for the latter. bullshit. He’s the only beat writer willing to take chances. Back in 2013 a friend convinced me to try some seats at China Basin right behind home plate. Ok. but for less money I really would’ve enjoyed the club level seats right above (Bozo’s area, I believe). But while sitting behind home plate, and going to get beers, I did get to see and hear the writers, who are right there. And most of them hung in a group, a school, telling tales until the 7th inning (Orioles v. Giants, Gaudin won, but gave up a monster HR to Davis, etc., etc.). Then the school got to work, pounding on their laptops. But Baggarly sat off to the side, working the entire game, paying no attention to the bs in the school. He was entirely off to one side and alone, the entire game, doing great work.

If Baggarly had been around circa 1998 the steroid era would’ve blown sky high then.

• Nipper said, on February 21, 2015 at 4:24 am

A guy leaving a TV gig for a newspaper job? That’s unique especially with newspapers melting away like butter in a hot skillet.

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2015 at 5:32 am

fantastic story and something I had always suspected about the Bay Area writers……

• wilcojoe said, on February 21, 2015 at 6:16 am

Great story Xoot!

• Bozo said, on February 21, 2015 at 6:37 am

What a great article, thanks for sharing that, Xoot.

By the way, I have sat in the Field Club behind home a few times, I’ve sat behind the visitors dugout a handful of times, bleachers, down the lines, pretty much all around that park (except the upper deck, need to sit up there sometime) but I still loved my seats the best. Section 212, First base side of home (pretty much had a straight line view of the Third base line), foul balls, the escalator and bar right there. I loved those seats.

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 7:15 am

Thanks for sharing Xoot. Always loved Baggs work . . .