TALK TO YOUR DAD? That’s What We’re Talking About?!!?!?!??!!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 21, 2015

As many of you have heard, Tim Lincecum reunited with his dad over the winter and revamped his delivery. It pains me to wonder why it took him so long to go freaking TALK TO HIS DAD to get this fixed. Since we don’t know if it’s fixed I won’t worry too much about it.

But come on, TALK TO YOUR DAD? I get it, Chris Lincecum is a dick. I remember his radio show. He’s intense. He’s a “know it all.” I wouldn’t choose to hang out with him either. But if he has the key that will unlock the funk you’ve been in for years, then I’m sorry you go put your head down and TALK TO YOUR DAD. ย Look, if Tim went through some kind of major trauma with his dad (physical/sexual abuse) then I could understand why he would cut his dad out of his life. But I don’t think that happened. And if it did, why would he reunite now? Conspiracy theory on that at the end of the post……

Here’s what happened: Tim started making bank and figured he didn’t have to listen to his blowhard dad anymore because he’s an adult and he makes 500 times in a year what his dad made in a lifetime. Still, if this is the guy with the keys to the castle, how could it take so long to go back to him?

If, and it’s a BIG IF, Tim’s dad has tinkered his son back into relevance than I will start by being ecstatic.

And then I will be pissed off.

When was the last time Tim was good? 2011? In 2012 he made 18 million. In 2013 he pocketed 22 million. Last year he cleared 17 million. And this year, in the final year of his deal I might add, he will make 18 million. Not only did he owe it to himself to go TALK TO HIS DAD sooner than this winter but he owed it to his employer and his adoring fans. If he just patched up the relationship with his dad so he could gear up for another big contract as a free agent, fucking off for the last 3 full seasons while being paid handsomely, then both of them can go fuck themselves……

1. Nipper said, on February 21, 2015 at 6:49 am

That’s another example of a ST story. A whole lot of hot air for the stupid fans. It seems to me that Lincecum is getting paid for what he did do not what he’s going to do. The Giants are being kind stating at the beginning of spring that he will be the 5th starter. Don’t hold your breath.

2. blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 7:13 am

Happy B day Flavor . . . I hope you and yours have something fun planned on your special day. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Bozo said, on February 21, 2015 at 7:20 am

Flav’s birthday? Is it one of those milestone ones? I guess they’re all milestone ones these days (for me anyway). Whatever, party like its November 1, 2010 my friend.

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2015 at 7:33 am

It’s another milestone of me being alive. I’ll take it ๐Ÿ˜€

• eddacker said, on February 21, 2015 at 8:33 am

happy birthday Magnus. Many happy returns.

• Bozo said, on February 21, 2015 at 8:42 am

I hear that, Flav. Waking up each day is pretty damn great. Have a good one, oh and as your Doctor and lawyer, I suggest drinking heavily. Cheers man.

4. willedav said, on February 21, 2015 at 7:50 am

Doubt fixing Lincecum is as simple as that, but since everything that Rags et al have tried to do haven’t worked with much consistency last few years, it’s worth a try. whatev. He gets paid regardless, but he just might not be an SP anymore. It will be interesting to see how this works going forward. kids sports careers and their parents not always a good fit, with both often making things more difficult than they need to be.

Enjoy, flav. Thx for keeping blog alive and rolling.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on February 21, 2015 at 8:10 am

Happy birthday, Magnus. Apropos of your post, go hang out with your dad. (Didn’t Tiger Woods have the same sort of relationship with his father?) Thirty below wind chill yesterday morning.

6. eddacker said, on February 21, 2015 at 8:43 am

I always thought that Tim’s mechanics were the problem. They were too complicated and focused on one result. So when time came to change, changing was the problem, not tim. When he was throwing, and what a lovely site that was with baffled batters walking to the dugout and triumphant timmeh walking round the mound, the mechanics did what they were designed to. When they needed to change so he could be a pitcher the results were inconsistency as changing one part affected another and the puzzle pieces didn’t fit. I for one will be voyeur supreme if he has found his game winning ways because his victories are fan’s victories. And we love us some 55.

Go Giants!

7. Macdog said, on February 21, 2015 at 9:27 am

Happy birthday Flav!

I hope I’m wrong, but I seriously doubt crawling back to Papa Lincecum is going to be the elixir for what’s ailing Timmy. Because if one of the best pitching coaches — if not THE best pitching coach — in all of MLB can’t find a solution for Timmy after probably investing hours and hours and hours over the last couple of years, then no one can. But hey, at least the long hair is back. That’s a start.

8. stickman said, on February 21, 2015 at 9:43 am

Happy Birthday Flav!!! Maybe if Timmy went back to Washington to get reorganized he was able to get back on happy meds for a few days without worry and then can have drunk plenty of cranberry juice on his way to Spring Training and the terrorist testing regime. I tend to agree with those who feel that #55 needs a full mechanical readjustment and a complete change in style calculated to figure out how to pitch without his post-teen body.

9. snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 11:06 am

Happy Bday, BF!

10. snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 11:14 am

Now, to Lincecum.

I’m as disappointed as most that this dude’s skill has fallen off the cliff. It’s disappointment mixed with sadness and remembrance. But, he gets it back every once in a while. Regardless, I don’t care whether he talks to his pops or not. If pops has somehow righted the ship in the offseason, great. I doubt it, but great if it happens.

I’m not going to rag on this guy for not running to papa when the wheels went bent. Personal stuff is personal stuff, I have no clue what is going on there, it’s not my bizness. I didn’t have such a great relationship with my pops, and that’s my business.

I will say this. If some of us are going to bless Barry Zito for a couple of golden moments in post season 2012 that somehow wash away 7 years of crap at outrageously premium prices, then why are we going to dump all over Lincecum for not talking to his pops? All media report he’s tried all sorts of stuff to fix himself the last few years, it’s not like he’s just cashing checks and smoking dope with no care about it. This kid raised this franchise nearly by himself to the first pinnacle of a championship ever in SF. Timmeh was electric for 4 years or so as a starter, 2 CY’s, was nails in the postseason 2012 as a Pen guy. He was a meteor the likes I’ve never seen as 40+ years as a Giants fan. Maybe Marichal was the only guy equivalent, but I was too young then to notice. Timmy has done more for this team to propel it to the heights and crazy fan goodwill than Zito could imagine. Tim has not shied EVER from taking his media lumps in this decline. Never blamed anybody else. He’s worn it. You can tell that it’s been eating at him. He’s not a guy that takes the money and doesn’t give an S — THAT I would not forgive.

Lincecum could do just about anything in his off season and personal life, short of being violently illegal or gambling on baseball, and it would not matter to me. He’s one of my all time fav Giants, he was THE key reason my favorite sports team won it’s first ever championship after DECADES of wilderness and hopelessness or hopes dashed (2002)- so I will be forever greatful to this little piss-ant of a guy. With blessings to Stretch as my all time favorite Giant, he never was on a title team I could crow about. Timmy is my baseball equivalent of Joe Montana — and I love baseball, I only like football. As I’ve said before, the photo of Tim on somebody’s shoulders that Arlington night wagging that finger signalling #1, and that long hair flowing — that may be my favorite sports photo and memory of all time — because it meant the team I’ve followed my entire life, the team I care about above all others — finally had won it all. MY team, MY Giants were champs, the first time ever. More than any other player, any manager or front office dude, Tim represents that unforgettable feeling in my mind. So, if Tim wants to shun or talk to his overheated pops, or shag blondes in the corner of the clubhouse right before his starts, I don’t care…

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 11:31 am

Excellent post – I agree with most of it. I wont say too much about this, but I didn’t speak to my mom for a couple of years. In short, it’s personal, and the good news is that we’ve mended fences. Consequently, I could give a rat’s ass about his personal life – short of mayhem where the public is harmed or at risk. I like Tim, but his performance hasn’t been worth 2 shits for going on 4 years (or is it 3? Sheesh, it’s been so long since he has been Tim). His current contract, much less his request for a long term contract of 4 plus years was laughable back then. Any contract for more then 3 years with a pitcher – any pitcher – is insane in my opinion. Anywho, again I wish him the best this season, but I’m of the opinion that he will face plant, with or without Dad.

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 11:35 am

Tim always has an open invitation to go visit Bangkok with me, if his current gig doesn’t work out.

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 11:38 am

If he goes with you, can I be your driver?… ๐Ÿ˜‰

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 11:51 am

A couple of years from now, who knows, this year or next, we may be railing against Cain, too, for his big contract and lack of production. He just banked half a season ($10 million) for looking at his elbow’s bone chips in a jar. His mechanics are sound, but lots of mileage on that arm…

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Dunno. I have this fear that Mrs. Snarkk and the Snarkkettes would not only hunt you down, but also me.

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Why would Mrs. snarkk be angry with me just being your driver? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:02 pm

ok. You talked me into it. Who says bloggers can’t change the minds of other bloggers?

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Hey, I’m selling time shares in Phoenix. Want one? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Your post says volumes about the good person you are. Actually, most, if not all of the Flappers here are humble enough to admit they were wrong at one time or another. What’s the quote? “I’d rather be happy, then right” or this one, “Someone else doesn’t have to be wrong for you to be right.” I have to remind myself of this frequently. ๐Ÿ™‚

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 1:04 pm

all kidding aside, ditto on your 12:14, blade…

• stickman said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Great post, Snarkk. Heartfelt. Right Arm!!! (as we usta say in the late 60’s).

• Lurker John said, on February 21, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Awesome post, snarkk. I feel the same way about The Freak.

• Lurker John said, on February 21, 2015 at 1:46 pm

It’s also hard for me to think of the guy ever “fucking off.” It’s not in his DNA. I’ve been a big fan of his since he was pitching for the UDub. Timmeh pitching for the Griz right before his call-up. He was consistently at 97 mph that night and I swear I could hear the ball whistling as it steamed towards home plate. Most amazing 6 innings of pitching I’ve seen in person in 46 years of following the G’s. His dad was behind me video taping his performance:

11. snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Speaking of Phoenix, some photos of the catchers and hurlers to get an early start on jonesing for the Gmen…

• snarkk said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Photo #5 and Bum. What a specimen.
      I would NOT want to get on the bad side of this dude. I’m already looking forward to his matchups with Puig — should be some great future source material for zumie’s GIFs…

• Lurker John said, on February 21, 2015 at 1:49 pm

MadBum is what they used to call a load. Good ol’ country hard ball.

12. stickman said, on February 21, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Seems like Zach Greinke is having elbow problems (and injections) again THIS Spring. Maybe he will go into the same kinda funk Cain did for us last season. Giants still took all the marbles anyway. Chances of the LaBumbos doing that without Grienke this go round are about the same as my current temperature here in the Northwoods of Minnesota ~ about one above zero.

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Didn’t know that Stick . . . Coupled with Jansen being out, this spring is shaping up lovely for them.

• Alleykat said, on February 21, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Fine with me.The whole Dodger team can come down with bulbollinc plague for all I care..

13. DJLoo said, on February 21, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Happy birthday, Flav. I remember when you turned 40 on the Splash…

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2015 at 2:23 pm

have you ever forgotten anything?

14. Alleykat said, on February 21, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Happy Birthday Flav
    This ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ beers for you!

15. Irish Kevin said, on February 21, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Happy BDay Flav!! Hope you have a great day. My brothers birthday is today also. He turns the big 60.

16. Irish Kevin said, on February 21, 2015 at 2:43 pm

I don’t care if Tim has been fucking around for the last 3 years, if this year he rights himself and helps the Giants get back to back WS, all will be right. I don’t believe the Giants could win 5 in a row, even if Matt and Tim were healthy or mechanics were all okay, but if Tim and Matt are in good form this year I would love to be able to Bask in Back to Back WS.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on February 21, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Let me say flat out that those pictures of Timmy from Lurker John, and the accompanying little story, are one of the coolest things to ever show up on this blog. And great piece on Lincecum by Snarkk above. Amen.

• Flavor said, on February 21, 2015 at 5:53 pm

agreed. Both LurkerJohn and Snarkk slapped some sense into me.

18. blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Regarding Bum’s workload – have any of you moved/toted bales of hay? I have and I know exactly what that is like. In fact, between the time I closed the sale of my mountain home and closing escrow on my condo, I lived on a friend’s ranch for a little over a month. Daily, he did the same thing as Bum has been doing during the off season – “wakes up at 5 or 6 in the morning during the offseason to tote bales of hay, tend to the horses and cows, and do all the other necessary chores at his farm in Hickory, North Carolina.” Add essentially the same routine at dusk too. This is back breaking work. Me? I helped a few times, but begged off for the most part, especially the toting of bales of hay.

Consequently, I have no idea how Bum will do this year. On one hand, I know he has been doing this same routine his entire life, so it probably isn’t a big deal for him. On the other hand, watching my friend do the same thing and me attempting to keep up . . . Well, let’s just say I am awestruck by Bum’s physical strength.

19. unca_chuck said, on February 21, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Well you could probably kick all our sorry asses. Well, maybe not the birthday boy… Happy bday flava-Flav! I would talked some sense to you about Timmy and his 2cy youngs, 2 no no’s and3ringsbut the gang beat me to it.

Good news on the jeep, blade!

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Thanks Chuck. The one I had my eye on fell through (dude promised to fix the heater and fuel gauge, but didn’t. Offered him a lower price reflecting what it would cost me and he wouldn’t budge). Fast forward, I totally lucked out on a way better 2001 Jeep for about the same price. Owned by a female no less, who was the original owner. She had babied it. This snow storm that is hitting us right now, favored my bid, i.e., she had two other offers but they were West of the Continental divide and there was no way anyone was going to drive through this shit prior to next week Tuesday . . . Consequently, my cash yesterday sealed the deal. Jeep prices are so inflated here, that I am still pinching myself on what I paid for it. Drove it most of yesterday on the freeway and moutains, including in 4wheel drive. Drives perfect.

• blade3colorado said, on February 21, 2015 at 8:20 pm

You referring to me (kicking ass)? LOL. I totally wimped out. It’s a totally different type of strength. I think someone on the Giants called Bum’s physicality “country boy strength.”

20. snarkk said, on February 22, 2015 at 12:37 am

LJohn’s photos of Tim are awesome. I don’t know how the kid did that gymnastics.
    Look at that left, plant foot facing straight to the plate and batter. I keep saying he needs to do that. His plant leg is straight down, his right hand has a great finish, and look at the balance. These last years, if the plant foot ends up left of a straight line to the plate, he ends up pushing the ball up and to the right of a lefty, and into the body of a righty. He’s opening up way too much. If he were golfing, he’d be slicing the crap out of the ball. Then, he has to compensate to get the ball over the plate, aims it to get a strike, so the dang thing looks as big as a softfall, and gets smoked…

21. willedav said, on February 22, 2015 at 9:59 am

puro west coast b-ball post:
    Stanford looks good and should make Tourney if they don’t screw up league one. Nastic the post guy should make NBA, and seniors Brown and Randle coming into their own. All are great argument for staying in school, getting your ed and playing 4 years.
    AZ and Gonzaga couple legit forces in opposite ways. Zags have size and varied offense with multiple good shooters. AZ wins with D and rebounding and can go many possessions without good looks. Freshman Stanley Johnson out of Mater Dei powerhouse will be super player, but I hope he sticks around another year or 2.

And that’s it. Pac 12 is not a good league nor is WCC. San Diego St I don’t think lasts long in Tourney either.
    Otherwise no one this side of Big 12 or ACC SEC Big 10 et al can hang with big boys.
    Week of conference tourneys my fav week, much more than Big Dance, to watch small schools with cool players that are well coached fight it out for right to get in. Usually lot of close intense games/enthusiasm involving players not in it for the money or career.

• Flavor said, on February 22, 2015 at 10:32 am

you like Nastic? I think he’s improved dramatically and maybe there’s more growth in there. But he frustrates the hell out of me. I don’t know what it is about him. Plays too stiff. Misses easy layups. He does have a nice little baby hook or whatever that is. I’ve never really liked him though

• willedav said, on February 22, 2015 at 10:57 am

yeah I do. He can step out and shoot face up 15 footer and has some inside nice moves and footwork. Should be more dominant and commits some stupid fouls, but I think has legit NBA potential. doesn’t seem to shy away from rough stuff either, and NBA will show him plenty of that.

22. blade3colorado said, on February 22, 2015 at 10:39 am

I just read that Minn. is dealing with -40 degree chill factor weather today. Thought I had it tough this morning at 10 degrees. Stay warm Stickman.

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2015 at 11:46 am

Wow, 40 below is just stupid crazy. A few days ago we were at 10 with a wind chill of around 0 but here today we are in the 50s, and yet tomorrow night, they are calling for another winter blast. Weird, weird weather this winter.

• Bozo said, on February 22, 2015 at 11:48 am

And yes, stay safe and warm Stickman and the rest of you lugs.

23. willedav said, on February 22, 2015 at 11:04 am

Another feel good left coast story is UC Davis, long a league door mat that Stanford would beat up on in preseason. This year they are really good and winning the league behind 3 pt shooting. Coached by Jim Les who has the son of his old teammate Hersey Hawkins (great college player who had nice NBA career and beautiful shot) from Bradley U playing for him.
    Sure they’ll get lit up early in NCAA Tourney, but should be fun to watch in league one. I’ve known a lot of kids who’ve gone to Davis, a popular destination for south bay kids good students as small town alternative and anti-Berkeley/UCLA competitiveness. Good to see they are finally relevant for b-ball too.

• Flavor said, on February 22, 2015 at 11:46 am

Do you think Kentucky is gonna run the table? Something tells me you’re not down with the Wildcat Way. lqtm

• DJLoo said, on February 22, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I’ll be rooting for one of many the other Wildcats – Villanova to spring the upset on the 30th anniversary of the “perfect game” vs. Ewing and invincible Georgetown…

• Flavor said, on February 22, 2015 at 4:47 pm

i remember that game well. Spring break in HS down at Pajaro Dunes…

24. snarkk said, on February 22, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Great story on Bochy.
    The guy “gets it”. He’s good with the players, he’s good with the fans, he’s good with the media. 3 for 3 (and 3 for 5). Harbaugh would be lucky to get 1 outta 3. And, Bochy is headed for the HOF, for what that’s worth these days.

I cracked Bochy early in his stint with the Giants, but I’ve changed my tune. He’s become a better manager, of course he’s had better talent, too, since those first few years. Plus, he does know how to handle a pitching staff, no question. He’s getting better at managing young players, and accepting their contributions. He’s tuned up the opposing manager in every post season he’s been in with the Giants — so there’s no arguing it, he’s one of the best in the biz. If he were in New York, they’d have him canonized already. I’d love to drink a coupla glasses of Cab with him, that’s for sure — I’d try to convince him to bunt a little more…

• blade3colorado said, on February 22, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Although his voice/speaking mannerisms probably leave a bad first impression, I was down on Bochy going back to his Padre managerial days. Maybe it’s just me, but I am of the opinion that most catchers make the best managers.

25. paulinasia said, on February 22, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Bochy is the Giants’ true Most Valuable Person. Any player, ANY player (except maybe MadBum) could go down for any length of time and the team would be ok. Without Bochy? I don’t think so. Been plenty of good and respected managers, but I’m not sure I can ever remember a manager making as big a difference as Bochy does.

26. pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I was gushing about Barry Zito and his comeback trail the other day. I still stand by the gushing owing to 2012 heroics. HOWEVER, I read comments by him last night at MLB.com. Pissed me off. Pissed me off! He was going on and on how he got away from who he was, his mechanics were off, pitch sequence messed up, love for the game was off, etc. really Barry? Really? His comments really irked me. So now you get this brainiac revelation all of a sudden??!! Plus — and maybe this is me — there seemed to be this subtle dig, as if that’s how Rags and the Giants made him pitch, not his true self. Sheeesh.

• DJLoo said, on February 22, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Sounds like the Manson girls at a parole hearing…

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2015 at 4:52 pm

you are the quickest wit I know…

• Flavor said, on February 22, 2015 at 6:59 pm

please note that it took him 12 long minutes to come up with that.
        lqtm

27. zumiee said, on February 22, 2015 at 3:02 pm

The Oscars are on tonight, and it turns out that Birdman is the only one of the nominated films I’ve seen so far. I’ve been meaning to get around to some of the others, but I also have a lot of TV stuff backlogged on the DVR, and I like to read, too, so….I haven’t been following the movie world as much the last several years. I did think that The King’s Speech was a terrific choice for Best Film the year that it won. I was much lesser enamored of “No Country For Old Men,” and “There Will Be Blood” winning Oscars. Two bleak nihilistic films that I just couldn’t get into. Birdman has some bleak moments, but I think there’s some rays of light that break through it, though.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2015 at 4:58 pm

zumieeeee, we have respectfully disagreed here on Birdman, but that’s okay. Smoke an filtered Gauloise on Sartre Blvd. when it wins.

Listening to Guy Clark sing ‘To Live’s To Fly,’ by Townes Van Zandt. If I drop dead as I type, make sure it’s played at my memorial service.

I am reading ‘West of Sunset’ by my email buddy Stewart O’Nan. F. Scott Fitzgerald in Hollywood novel. I’m always claiming I don’t like historical novels, but man……hugely entertaining. And tragic. The guy was struggling. And Zelda was in the asylum.

28. Flavor said, on February 22, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Jesus, this dude gets really into the song. he’s crying through most of it. Never heard it, what’s the significance of it for him? I only listened to parts of it. Seems like a great song tho

• xoot said, on February 22, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Townes Van Zandt song. People get that way about Townes, especially Texans.

• xoot said, on February 22, 2015 at 5:50 pm

sorry, didn’t notice Pawlie’s comment.

• wilcojoe said, on February 22, 2015 at 6:35 pm

“Townes Van Zandt is the greatest songwriter of all time, and I will stand up on Bob Dylan’s coffee table and say just that.” – Steve Earle

• xoot said, on February 22, 2015 at 9:22 pm

And Townes said he didn’t think Bob would much care about that. The great Steve Earle was young then.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Hey, thanks for that. Had never seen it. I don’t think he cried until 2:12. I dunno, missing his buddy, I guess. Doesn’t John Boehner cry at the slightest too?

• snarkk said, on February 22, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Boehner cries a lot.
        Especially when the Johnny Walker Black is empty…

• wilcojoe said, on February 22, 2015 at 6:56 pm

That’s a very powerful video. That was recorded during an Austin City Limits taping about eight years before Townes would die from years of drug and alcohol abuse. You have to think Guy was thinking of his best friend and how prophetic those lines would become.

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 22, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Joe,
        I figured it was Austin City Limits but assumed it was AFTER Townes died. Thanks for the info and the insight.

29. Flavor said, on February 22, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I was gonna change out the BBOTD but Bozo’s caption was so fantastic I have to leave it up till morning….