Staring at Something For Too Long

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 22, 2015

This is and always will be one of the greatest pictures I’ve ever seen.

pencefence3

I’ve looked at this for probably hours over the course of time that’s passed since it was taken. The four fans to the left with the most perfect expressions. The weird kid behind Pence’s ass. And until tonight I never noticed the light above Pence’s head. Check it out— Guy with a beard, tongue sticking out. How crazy is that?

Missing baseball tonight…….

hunter-pence

Different angle . . .
________________

Pic of the Day

bummmm

1. snarkk said, on February 22, 2015 at 8:41 pm

With the late 50’s expressions on those fans’ faces, especially the woman’s, this looks like some illustration out of Mad Magazine, circa 1960. With the tongue out, Pence could pass for an athletic (albeit bearded) Alfred E. Neuman…

2. xoot said, on February 22, 2015 at 9:27 pm

One of the best sports pic I ever saw showed Ali knocking out Foreman in Zaire. Right behind the blast, some skinny guy in the front row had bug eyes as he reached with forked fingers to get his cigarette out of his mouth so he could express his emotion. Kaboom.

3. willedav said, on February 22, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Another gem in the file of Ruben Amaro Jr,. Pence for Nate and Tommy Joseph who I think is still in the minors.

Lot of talk on F/G and other sites about what he gets for Hamels, who as soon as he reported stated in no uncertain terms he has zero desire to still be a Fightin, or Cliff Lee. Also how much Phils will have to kick in salary wise to get deal off the ground.

4. twinfan1 said, on February 22, 2015 at 9:35 pm

In closing I’d be remiss if I didn’t thank my fellow blog commenters everywhere. You’ve made me look very very good.

5. snarkk said, on February 22, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Is Meryl Streep listed every year as a default nominee for an Oscar?
    It’s like putting Cal Ripken on the 2015 All Star ballot because he used to show up a lot…

6. twinfan1 said, on February 22, 2015 at 10:03 pm

She’s having a farewell tour. Streep bobble heads will be on sale at Hollywood and Vine.

7. Nipper said, on February 23, 2015 at 7:09 am

Yeah I luv that pic.

8. pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2015 at 7:11 am

Love how Magnus analyzed the photo as if it were part of the Zapruder film.

• Lurker John said, on February 23, 2015 at 9:11 am

LOL

9. pawliekokonuts said, on February 23, 2015 at 7:12 am

I almost threw up my breakfast. Consider that a BBOTD warning.

10. Bozo said, on February 23, 2015 at 7:32 am

I’ve sometimes wondered how many photos a pro has to take before they get “the shot”, you know the one they hang in their own living room.

11. Bozo said, on February 23, 2015 at 7:49 am

Moncada to Boston.

• willedav said, on February 23, 2015 at 8:34 am

$63 mil including the tax.
      Lot of teams were high on this guy, see how it works out.

Saw a blog comment that he falls under regular player/team rights, so if he is really good after year or 2 in minors Sox could wind up with a bargain til he becomes FA or arb eligible.

12. Lurker John said, on February 23, 2015 at 8:46 am

One of the great pics from the 2014 playoffs, with all those not-so-evident-at-first-glance details you mentioned, Flav. I like the girl with the big grin on her face. Perfect view and she’s watching the game for FREE. lol

13. gianthead said, on February 23, 2015 at 8:47 am

I think in a few years we will look at the time we could have had Yoan Moncado for about $64-$65 million. Does this mean he is tied up with the Sox for 6-7 years under the current contract? IMO this is going to look like a great deal in a few years. Like getting a young Miguel Cabrera. I think the Sox eventually land Hamels and cough up just one of those top hitting prospects they have.

• Bozo said, on February 23, 2015 at 9:31 am

Posey’s signing bonus was $6.2 mil. Just saying.

• gianthead said, on February 23, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Apples and oranges though since this is not a college kid in the draft but a true free agent..

• Bozo said, on February 23, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Maybe you’re right, but I see it as the Giants payed a kid $6.2 mil to play in the minors. and the Sox will be paying a kid $40 mil (penalty tax and 1/3 of the signing bonus) to play in the minors.

14. Lurker John said, on February 23, 2015 at 8:52 am

Consider also what a great capture this is by the photographer. It looks like he took the shot from the Giants dugout, probably with a 500mm lens, 350′ or so away, and all in a flash. Not bad. A little bit reminiscent of the Mays catch in the ’54 Series.

15. zumiee said, on February 23, 2015 at 9:35 am

In the photo….it’s amazing to me how so many outfielders have so much of their glove-hand not actually in the glove. It seems counter-intuitive, but a lot of outfielders hold their glove that way. When I played Friday night softball, I was forever pushing my hand INTO the glove, which gave a feeling of more control. But the pros are the pros because they’re much better at this game than the rest of us. 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2015 at 11:21 am

You must have long fingers, dude. You can afford to cheat the glove a little.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 23, 2015 at 9:44 am

I’m more bummed about the signing of Peavy and Vogelsong than missing out on Moncado.

17. chipower9 said, on February 23, 2015 at 10:46 am

Hey Flappers – I have been out of the mix for a while…all is good. Hope this finds all well for you and yours.

Today the full squad reports, and a week from tomorrow, the first spring game. Damn…I can TASTE baseball, and I am ready.

My daughter and I are not making our annual pilmigrage to Scottsdale this year, but we do have tix for opening day. Any other Flappers going to be there? We’ll be in the Arcade…Section 147 (right there to watch the banner go up the flag pole).

And on the picture, this is probably my all-time favorite action shot of any Giant.

• Bozo said, on February 23, 2015 at 11:26 am

Hey Chi, good to see ya. I won’t be making it back to SF for the Opener, hell I haven’t been back for any games since the 2011 Opener, so I could see em raise the Championship flag. Gonna have to get out West to see a game one of these years, thats for sure.
      I am planning on going to a couple of the games up in DC for the Fourth, but that is probably it for this year.
      Cheers.

• DJLoo said, on February 23, 2015 at 5:26 pm

And this is mine, Chi:

I wonder if they’ll commemorate the 50th anniversary of this incident in 2015.
      It would make the greatest bobble-head ever!

18. unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2015 at 11:20 am

John, the thing about these new DSLRs is you can hold the shutter down and crank off up to 6 pics a second for the faster ones. Provided you have the light. And you can get up to 1/4000th of a second exposures.

• Bozo said, on February 23, 2015 at 11:34 am

True, and you can store a shit load of shots on memory cards, so I guess you just keep shooting until you get “the shot”.
      You know whoever took the shot that Flav posted has that baby framed and hanging in their living room.

• unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2015 at 11:57 am

Right. I was a VERY happy camper when digital came out. I have boxes and boxes of pics of the kids and misc stuff from over the years going back to 7th grade whan I got my first SLR. A Fujica ST 701. Lasted til I was 31.

19. Flavor said, on February 23, 2015 at 11:42 am

the picture is a screen shot from the Fox broadcast. You can see the Fox insignia near the bottom right. My buddy altered the look of the pic with some type of program

20. xoot said, on February 23, 2015 at 11:52 am

re Moncada: “the overage tax must be paid to the league in full by July 15, whereas the bonus can be paid out in installments over the course of the next three years” So $30M+ to mlb this summer, but only $10M plus a minimum salary to Moncada himself for three years. $40-$50+M out of pocket, essentially, before the guy’s ready to play at the mlb level? Wow. Of course, the RSox may decide Pablo’s a DH and Moncada’s a 3B. Also, that $30+M tax to a mlb international development fund with no clear purpose is pretty strange.

21. unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2015 at 11:55 am

Found a pic at nearly the exact same time and posted it. . .

22. ewisco said, on February 23, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I’ve been looking around trying to find out if Pagan has made an appearance. I find it odd that he didn’t make it in this weekend. anyone heard anything?

• xoot said, on February 23, 2015 at 12:09 pm

I saw a tweet yesterday saying Arias and Pagan would be the last in camp, arriving today.

23. Alleykat said, on February 23, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Usually comes down the usual BS Visa problems with players.
    But if I’m Arias, I would of been in camp earlier since he’s no lock to make the team.

24. zumiee said, on February 23, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Ha! MadBum as Paul Bunyan. Cool photo.

• zumiee said, on February 23, 2015 at 12:44 pm

If that photo of MadBum gets posted around MLB, we’re never going to see a batter rush the mound against him, ever.

25. chipower9 said, on February 23, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Yeah, I heard Baggs this morning saying that the report day (today) is soft…and that players can actually call in if they are in the area. He had no other details on Pagan, but did say he expected to see him today.

Strange that Pav is now the CSNBA guy, as he regularly subbed for Baggarly when Baggs was on his first stint with The Merc. Then Pav got the job at the Merc when Baggs went to CSNBA. Now Baggs is back at the Merc, and my understanding is that his blog will once again be called Extra Baggs. The more things change…the more they stay the same.

• zumiee said, on February 23, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Baggs found out the TV business isn’t necessarily all it’s cracked up to be. And any writing that he posted was on that awful CSNBA website that throws up pop-up ads that have to be waded through. The TV business, getting screen-time, is hard to resist, though. Pav couldn’t resist it either. Maybe he’ll have a happier experience than Baggs did.

• ewisco said, on February 23, 2015 at 1:34 pm

it just seems to me that if Pagan was healthy and ready to go he would be there acting healthy and ready to go. you’d think he would be anxious to see if all was well. unless he already knew that all was not well? Arias I don’t much care about because if the season comes down to him having a big year we’re probably already in big trouble. Pagan on the other hand . . .

26. zumiee said, on February 23, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Birdman won a bunch of Oscars last night, including Best Film, but no Oscar for Keaton. The movie was for sure going to win the cinematography award, but all the other ones were not as for sure.
    I was pretty sure Keaton was going to win, though.
    I haven’t seen the other films yet.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 23, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I haven’t seen Birdman but was still bummed for Keaton. Great, underrated actor in my opinion. The John Legend/Common song and acceptance speech was strong.

• eddacker said, on February 23, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I thought it was Keaton’s year. A hollywood favorite and his first and probably only nomination. The guy that did win, Eddie Redmayne for the Stephen Hawking love story, did a fantastic job. I did not like Selma much but it is a great story and now with a great song. Watched McFarland today another great story. And I loved the Lady Gaga set at the awards ceremony.

27. snarkk said, on February 23, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Really would like to see the giants take a flyer on a guy like Moncada. They are a big market team, so take a risk once in a while that doesn’t involve pitching…

• ewisco said, on February 23, 2015 at 1:32 pm

too late I hear.

28. Berdj Joseph Rassam said, on February 23, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Yes, that was a great pic for Giants fans.

29. xoot said, on February 23, 2015 at 2:12 pm

My guess is Baggarly’s days with CSNBA were numbered after this imbroglio last year.

30. blade3colorado said, on February 23, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Very interesting read about the use of analysis; and the rankings of all teams in the 4 major sports (MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA). Much surprised that the Astros are ranked number 2 of all sports. Also, I was flabbergasted that the Yankmees were ranked number 6 in all of sports. WTF? Just my take, but much of their previous success I attribute to deep pockets. Those bloated contracts certainly didn’t have anything to do with Saber stats or why else have they been out of the playoffs for the last couple of years? Meh.

• Flavor said, on February 23, 2015 at 7:11 pm

All teams use advanced metrics to one degree or another. I think these rankings are lame. They just pick one thing a team is doing and slap it up there when, in fact, it’s the way you weave the metrics together that’s the key. And the defensive metrics have a long way to go. The swing to advanced metrics is in full effect and I think sports teams, especially baseball teams, will lag behind it in a bad way. Everyone is trying to pay the math guys big bucks to give them the next hidden gem. It doesn’t necessarily work that way. True success with advanced metrics involves using the correct metrics and balancing that with about a thousand other things.
      I think we’re still in our infancy on this and no one has a clear edge……

31. Flavor said, on February 23, 2015 at 7:52 pm

that pic Chuck posted is beyond epic. It’s like 20 million new things to stare at……

• unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2015 at 9:12 pm

What i think is amazing is they are about 0.0001 moments apart. The only diff I see is the ball is 2″ higher in Pence’s mitt, and the angle is slightly different.

32. Flavor said, on February 23, 2015 at 8:14 pm
  33. willedav said, on February 23, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Loo that’s a great shot.
    I always liked the one that showed Fuentes with the bat in his hand.

• DJLoo said, on February 24, 2015 at 4:42 am

I always like to remind people that was Fuentes 4th day in the major leagues…

34. unca_chuck said, on February 23, 2015 at 9:09 pm

DJ, i thought the same fucking thing. Marichal and Roseboro. Tooo funny.