What’s On the Outside of Your Cup?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 27, 2015

This is the coffee cup I drink from every morning:

coffee

I was looking at it this morning trying to figure out what’s wrong with it. Then I figured it out and took this picture.

1958 to 2008 (and 2009) were just so freaking worthless. Sure we had our memories of all the games and the players. We had the heartbreaks, the highs the lows. The close calls. But we never had that SOARING supernova high that 2010, 2012 and 2014 brought us. Will Clark hitting that grand slam deep into the Chicago night was probably my best memory from “the coffee cup” years. Now think about the rush of the last 5 years. And then look at my coffee cup. It’s almost too overwhelming to consider. Did the last 5 years really happen?

After realizing why I don’t like this cup my first reaction was to go buy a new one—-bigger, with gaudy championship shit written all over it. But no, this is the cup I will continue to drink from in the morning. A boring, quiet reminder of what we once were. A *bridge* to what we are today…..

1. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 6:14 am

Shit like that keeps you humble. Yeah, down with you keeping the cup.

2. Bozo said, on February 27, 2015 at 6:37 am

Nice reflections on a Friday morning, Flav. In 2008, I went to the first week of home games (Pads and Cards) and then moved 3,000 miles away.

3. Nipper said, on February 27, 2015 at 6:44 am

I drink from a Giants cup too. Mine is a little different no dates not as nice.

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2015 at 6:47 am

black, no sugar, right?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:17 am

Like his men. Hoooooo!

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:35 am

POTD

• zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:37 am

That reminds me of an episode of Wayne’s World on SNL, when Candice Bergen was the guest host.
        She was going to make some coffee for the guys.
        Candice: “Wayne, how do you like your coffee?”
        Wayne: “The way I like my women: two sugars and a milk.”
        Candice: “What does THAT mean?”
        Wayne: “I have no idea!”

4. zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:46 am

“The coffee cup years.” Great phrase. With A’s fans and Dodger fans around during the coffee cup years to reminds us about the no-championship SF Giants coffee cup.
    A’s fans and Dodger fans behave quite differently now. Dodger fans are drinking out of their 26 year coffee cup. And the A’s fan have a 25 year cup.

5. wilcojoe said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:52 am

Hey at least we’re not the Astros. The highlight of their promotional schedule this year is a t-shirt recognizing the 10th anniversary of their only World Series appearance (of which they were swept).

• zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:57 am

Ouch.

• unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:29 am

Wilcoe, it wasn’t that long ago that that’s all we had . . . Craaaaaazy

6. unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:27 am

Yup generic Giants coffee cup. Black with the orange SF, and orange stripes across the top and bottom.

Now my pint glasses are World Series versions . . .

• unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:57 am

In other words, beer is more important than coffee . . .

7. xoot said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:30 am

Simple white cup, black bands on the top and bottom, orange SF on two sides. My secretary gave it to me for xmas in 2005. She and I were the only Giants fans in our Oakland office. She grew up in the Mission and spoke English with a Mexican accent, but she had a BA from Cornell. Smart as a whip. She left for better pay downtown in the city. I’ll bet being a secretary is not the main focus of her life. Very tasteful, aesthetically pleasing coffee cup. Here’s to her. Hope she enjoyed the WSs as much as I did.

8. giants54 said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:41 am

Good comparison and nice use of cup, but “worthless”? boring? Quiet?
    There were many thrilling memorable moments even without the rings.
    Get a new cup and stick your change or a plant in that one. 🙂

9. Lurker John said, on February 27, 2015 at 9:05 am

I’m with giants54. Lots of disppointments but lots of great moments as well and great baseball players. Those 70’s and 80’s were my formative years as a Giants fan and when I paid my dues. My perspective is much better now with the championships in the bag. I’m better able to enjoy all the successes now, division titles, wild card berths, beating the Dodgers, without that nasty, “No World Series wins in S.F.” albatross hanging around my neck.

• Lurker John said, on February 27, 2015 at 9:06 am

And BTW, I love that 50 years logo.

10. Irish Kevin said, on February 27, 2015 at 10:23 am

Word Press needs to upgrade there system. Every other app has a little camera in the comments Box so that pics can be posted at anytime.

• unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2015 at 11:11 am

No shit. WP makes it nigh impossible to post pics in comments.

11. Alleykat said, on February 27, 2015 at 10:42 am

No coffee mugs, but do have all the Giants&49er’s championships shot glasses, along with a 49er German beer stein.🍺

• unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2015 at 11:09 am

Hah! I have the 5 championships shot glasses.

• Alleykat said, on February 27, 2015 at 11:51 am

Hah!
        Great drinkers think the same Chuck!

12. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 11:34 am

Just read this (see below) . . . and was thinking – What’s the saying? “That’s a clown comment bro.” lqtm.

“Bryce Harper was asked for his reaction to the Nationals’ surprise signing of Max Scherzer, a $210 million addition to what already was lauded as baseball’s best rotation.

“To be able to have a guy like Scherzer come in? I just started laughing,” Harper said. “I was like, ‘Where’s my ring?’ You know what I mean? It’s stupid. It’s absolutely stupid how good our staff is.”

He’s right — between Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann, Gio Gonzalez, and Doug Fister the starting rotation is indeed stupid-good — but that kind of confidence won’t sit well with everybody.

Washington has been considered something of a juggernaut three years running, yet the franchise has not captured a World Series championship in its 46-year existence (dating back to the Montreal Expos days).”

• chipower9 said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Harper can go fuck himself. The Natty Nats haven’t even made it TO a series, let alone won one.

I can see his smug ass rounding the bases during our series with them last year…but our Gigantes got the last laugh.

Talented ball player, but a tool.

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:40 pm

he’s just young. I’d expect most 22 year olds to say something like this.

13. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:05 pm

This is the only commercial recording made by Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. It was made in 1927. The record is an attempt at comedy. Let’s just say they were better at baseball then comedy. Still, it’s cool hearing their voices.

• Alleykat said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Great Stuff Blade, thanks for digging up that old archive..

• Bozo said, on February 27, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Very cool, thanks Blade.

14. Nipper said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Remember when the Giants finished so many years ago in second that is except for memorable ’62 season. We old dudes remember. Still nobody could buy that lineup today. So many thrills so many homers and key hits! Mays and McCovey and Cepeda were blasting away. Damn it was unforgettable!

• Nipper said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:10 pm

I’m as old as Twin even the same month.

15. chipower9 said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I would keep rocking that cup, flav. I drink from a 2007 All Star Game cup that has the Giant’s schedule for that year on it.

And I have a 2010 World Series Champion cup on my desk that is full of pens and pencils.

16. zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm

One of the MLB Network shows took Harper to task, a bit, for his comments. Some of the pundits were saying, “OK, Harper, but what are YOU going to do to get your team there? It’s about time YOU start putting up some dominant season numbers.” The problems the Nats had in their playoff series vs. the Giants were mainly on offense.

17. zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 12:53 pm

The surprising thing in that Ruth/Gehrig recording is Gehrig’s voice. I went in expecting to hear Gary Cooper, and instead got Joe Pesci. That’s kind of a jolt. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Very nasal “whiny” type voice. In fact, if you go hear the clip of his farewell speech, he sounds more like Gary Cooper then Pesci. LOL.

18. Alleykat said, on February 27, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Holy Starship Enterprise:
    Leonard Mr. Spock Nimoy has passed away (83) I’m totally bummed out!
    RIP Leonard
    Well I will say he did “Live Long and Prosper”

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Wow! That is a bummer. When our family bought our first color TV in 1967, I still remember being in the Marantz store watching a color broadcast of Star Trek and being amazed. I grabbed my mom, telling her to get the 27 inch (or was it 24?) color TV that was playing Star Trek . . . I know you young guys are laughing.
      🙂

19. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Listen up flappers . . . I arrive in SF bay area on April 16th through May 3rd. I just received a SF Giants promotion email for $14 tickets (left field nose bleed seats), minimum 2 purchase. Willing to buy as many as needed for the fireworks game on Friday, April 17th, against the Snakes. Give me a shout at blade3colorado@yahoo.com if you are interested or here . . . Meet up at the Willie Mays statue prior to the game.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 27, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I’d take you up on it but am in the midst of my season ticket buy. I won’t know what dates I get until late next week at the earliest.

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Sounds good Dirt. Not even certain about this right now . . . Question – has anyone ever sat in that section (upper left field nose bleed seats)? It seems vulnerable to wind which = high miserable index. LOL. Dunno. Snarkk and I had nose bleed seats behind home plate. Perfect. Wind was blowing like a MOFO, but those seats were protected by the concrete wall in back of us. Very comfortable at night.

20. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Flavor, you probably don’t even have Irving in your line ups, but just in case you do – he’s out due to injury (MRI shoulder).

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Thx. No I didn’t have him. No LeBron tonight either

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Yeah, I faded him and everyone else on their team, except for JR Smith (glad I kept him – lights out in the 1st).

• Flavor said, on February 27, 2015 at 5:14 pm

yeah, got him everywhere. Someone has to score and we know he’s not shy about letting the rock fly.

21. unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2015 at 3:05 pm

RIP Mr. Spock ; ; ;

• unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2015 at 3:09 pm

If you weren’t alive ion the 60s, this is as close as you’ll get.

• Alleykat said, on February 27, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Hell I’m barely alive now.Oh wait I feel a pulse and I’m texting never mind,,

• unca_chuck said, on February 27, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Yes, great thinkers drink aike. Or, uh, yeah . . .

22. Flavor said, on February 27, 2015 at 5:28 pm

retro post of the day: (the discussion was about whether Belt should have been benched for sucking so early in the 2012 season):
    DJLoo said, on April 14, 2012 at 10:29 am (Edit)
    Fuck him. He is here to do what he’s told. If he doesn’t like it then he can box up his fat wife and take a fuckin’ hike. This team has some chemistry rebuilding to do since the departure and decline of several 2010 heroes…

• DJLoo said, on February 27, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Timelessly brilliant…

23. pawliekokonuts said, on February 27, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Great reflection, Magnus. Talk about cup half full or half empty! I don’t drink from a Giants cup but have a Giants mug on my coffee table. It is vintage Eighties, with the word GIANTS featuring a bigger G and S emblazoned across a baseball. It holds pens and pencils.

Lots of good posts here.

24. pawliekokonuts said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Not only did we see obits today of Leonard Nimoy but also of Theodore Hesburgh, a towering figure (born in Syracuse) and Earl Lloyd, the NBA’s first black player (played in Syracuse, where the 24-second clock was invented, bet you didn’t know that).

25. pawliekokonuts said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Steve, I did sit in the upper LF seats for a nightgame in 2009 — but moved around to two or three other places as the game progressed. Beat the Phils. Jonathan Sanchez the winner. Sandoval a homer. Speaking of Pablo, I saw last night on Twitter that he was promoting his possible bobblehead night, asking people to RT. No, I certainly did not.

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Why did you move? Was it cold? Better view?

• pawliekokonuts said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:20 pm

it was my first nightgame at AT&T, I was alone, and I like different game angles. I went next to the bleachers (cold and exposed) then out by the arcade (so-so). No scientific data to offer you.

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Yeah, I was hoping James would comment. 🙂

26. Flavor said, on February 27, 2015 at 7:50 pm

gonna be out of town for most of the last 2 weeks of April but would love to see you, Blade. We’ll work it out.

27. Alleykat said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Blade&BF
    When Blade shows up in the bay area lets hook up at the goose are oasis for a burger& belt. Blade,know you don’t drink now, so the soda’s or whatever’s on me, same with you Flavor!!Party Time
    The game sounds good as well, a mini Flapzolla reunion if possible!

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I’m definitely down with that AK . . . Same thing with you Flav. By the by, I’m in 4th place in the $1K Fri NBA Double Up ($2) cash game. Wish it was a tournament, but I want to see if I can come in 1st regardless.

28. zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Blade, count me in on the ballgame.
    I’m guessing that section in the upperdeck will be colder than the upperdeck sections closer to the diamond, but I’m not sure. I’ve never sat that far down the line, in the upper deck, during a night game. There’s always the chance the city will have some nice weather overall that night. It’s impossible to predict, though, of course.

29. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Very cool Zum . . . I am going to wait until Sunday before I buy the tickets (see if anyone else is going). I suspect Snarkk will be down with a game, maybe Chi and Kev too, and possibly Willie. Dunno. I will mention it again in tomorrow morning’s thread.

30. zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Baggs thinks that Duffy starts the season in Sac-town, because of Adrianza’s “no options” status.
    Adrianza needs to start showing something.
    Baggs says Bochy’s real high on Okert, who’ll probably start the season in Sac-town, too. And if Strickland can improve, the Giants have some nice future bullpen pieces.

31. zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:48 pm

The tall grass can be dangerous….

32. blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Notwithstanding his mediocre end of season call up and postseason – I think Strickland will do fine with a bit more seasoning. Amazing talent whom I think will settle in nicely. Regarding Duffy and Adrianza, I would like to see more of Duffy . . . been there, done that with Adrianza. Just Duffy’s attitude alone makes him a winner in my mind. I hope the kid can stick with the big club (eventually). He reminds me a bit of Robby Thompson. Anyone else remember the game where Robby was caught stealing 4 times? I think he was a rookie.

• Alleykat said, on February 27, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Rookie’s never listen to their 1st base coach Blade.Cause their so cocky, above logic(Spock) that they can make in any situation work in their favor, Though if I’m the manager (.Roger Craig) I’m cattle prodding his ass to even attempt 4 steals if you don’t have Ricky Henderson speed to start with.
      Of course their’s the other extreme of dumb and brilliance when Bob Brenly our catcher,played 3rdbase and made 4 errors, then hit a walk HR to win a game!! God,baseball is so unpredictable and exhilarating at the same time!

• blade3colorado said, on February 27, 2015 at 10:01 pm

In fairness to Robby, he got caught on 2 (or 3?) hit and run plays, but technically they were steal attempts. 🙂

• Bozo said, on February 28, 2015 at 7:24 am

33. zumiee said, on February 27, 2015 at 10:31 pm

I saw this list of interesting and quasi-interesting baseball facts on the web today. I knew a few of these already.
    The one that jumps out at me the most probably is that Prince Fielder has more inside-the-park homeruns than Rickey Henderson. That hardly seems possible. But as AlleyKat said, baseball is unpredictable and exhilarating!
    (The list is from a few years ago.)

The World Series was best-of-nine games in 1903 and from 1919-1921.
    Prince Fielder has more career inside-the-park home runs than Rickey Henderson.
    Seattle acquired Randy Winn from Tampa Bay in exchange for manager Lou Piniella in 2002.
    Jason Giambi has only nine career triples in 7,021 at bats.
    The Boston Red Stockings made 24 errors in one game on 6/14/1876 against St. Louis.
    The last Pirates winning season was before the Marlins and Rockies existed.
    Tony Gwynn says he once went an entire season without breaking a bat.
    Infielder Duane Kuiper hit one home run in 3,379 career at bats.
    Catcher Terry Kennedy was never on the DL during his 14-year career.
    The 2012 Reds were the first National League team to lose a Division Series after leading two games to none.
    Hall of Famer Joe Sewell struck out only three times in 503 at bats in 1932.
    Babe Ruth has more career innings pitched than Mariano Rivera.
    Jeffrey Maier is now 28 years old.
    The Infield Fly Rule was added to the rulebook in 1895.
    The 2012 A’s were the first team in Major League history to win their division outright after being down by five or more games with nine to play.
    An Astros-Cubs game in 2012 was the first time in 50 years two teams with 100 losses played each other.
    Omar Vizquel has more career hits and a higher career batting average than Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith.
    15 players in Major League history have won a Triple Crown.
    Mike Trout is the first rookie in Major League history with 30 home runs and 30 stolen bases.
    Kirk Gibson had only one plate appearance in the 1988 World Series.
    Rangers hitters Toby Harrah and Bump Wills hit back-to-back inside-the-park home runs on consecutive pitches in a 1977 game.
    Detroit’s Doug Fister struck out nine consecutive batters in a 2012 game to set a new American League record.
    In the last 50 years, six regular season Los Angeles Dodgers games have ended in a tie.
    Reggie Jackson struck out more than any batter in history. (2,597 times)
    Al Kaline was Mitt Romney’s favorite player as a kid.
    The San Diego Padres used five pitchers in a scoreless ninth inning in a 2012 game in Arizona.
    Major League players were allowed to leave their gloves on the field until 1954. Many of them did.
    The Kansas City Royals made the playoffs seven times from 1976-1985.
    Padres reliever Luke Gregerson skateboards to Petco Park frequently.
    The New York Giants used both Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium as their home while the Meadowlands Sports Complex was being built.
    Joe Mauer (2008-2009) and Nomar Garciaparra (1999-2000) were the last two players to win back-to-back batting titles.
    Foul poles were originally made of wood.
    Wrigley Field did not have ivy on the outfield wall from 1914-1937.
    Don Larsen did not know his World Series no-hitter was a perfect game until a reporter told him in the clubhouse after.
    Pete Rose and Ty Cobb are the only players in history with more than 4,000 hits.
    Brett Butler holds the record for most bunt hits in a single season.
    At one time, Mickey Mantle wore number six for the Yankees.
    Alan Trammell and Lou Whitaker played together for 19 years.
    The Astrodome once used real grass. Clear panels in the roof of the dome allowed sunlight in.
    The 1930 World Series Champion Philadelphia Athletics had six Hall of Famers on their roster.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on February 28, 2015 at 8:32 am

Gwynn not breaking a bat all season and Ruth’s innings v Rivera stood out to me. Cool list.

34. blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2015 at 8:10 am

Bozo, that was a fantastic video clip. Personally, I didn’t even know video existed of his “schizo” day.

• willedav said, on February 28, 2015 at 8:43 am

Yeah pretty funny. Lot of empty seats in those days.
      Brenly used to do a post game show during the bad old early 80s days too.
      “Uh Bob, about that 3-0 pitch to Pedro Guerrero that wound up in the seats…”

• ewisco said, on February 28, 2015 at 8:59 am

i was at that game. sitting somewhere on the first base side. what a day!

• Bozo said, on February 28, 2015 at 9:19 am

Yeah Blade, they had to dig out the VHS for that one. For some reason I think the game was televised that day. Did they have that old cable Giants TV then?

• blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2015 at 9:47 am

Dunno John . . . Last time I lived in the bay area was 1989 and I think KTVU (?) channel 2 was still carrying the games.

35. Flavor said, on February 28, 2015 at 10:26 am

A new thread has been born.