Winning It All. Again.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 9, 2015

How badly do you think they want it? I’m talking about The Repeat.

In 2011, I remember them being a little overwhelmed by what they had done. The team partied hard. The only thing that stopped Huff’s party was a problem with anxiety. And then Buster’s ankle blew and the season went with it.

In 2013, I vaguely remember wondering where the emotional fire was on the team. I’d have to go back and look, but I wrote at least one thread about it appearing that the team was struggling to find that internal drive to win it all again. I also recall lot of people blaming the WBC and a short off season on the Giants troubles in 2013.

And now here we are on the cusp of another title defense. I don’t remember another spring training that I was less into. I’ve enjoyed hearing Jon Miller on the radio and I’m exciting about baseball starting again. But honestly, my internal drive for what might become of the 2015 season is rather low.

Maybe this will all change when real baseball starts. We’ll see.

1. wilcojoe said, on March 9, 2015 at 6:42 am

I am right there with ya. I don’t know if deep down I have become “Pavlovian” and I almost expect this year to be a disappointment, but I don’t remember being so “meh” about a spring training. In years past, I would purchase the audio MLB package just to hear Doug Greenwald do weekday games.

What’s worse, is I am actually more interested in what the Astros are doing this spring than my beloved Giants. Blasphemy, right?

2. blade3colorado said, on March 9, 2015 at 7:13 am

693 hours until show time.

3. Bozo said, on March 9, 2015 at 7:34 am

I’m with ya Flav,I haven’t really been thinking about another title run or paid much attention to Spring Training either. I know those gears will start churning soon, but for now what sausages I’ll be grilling up for the home opener is higher on the list. That seems kinda sad now that I think about it.

4. willedav said, on March 9, 2015 at 7:54 am

Giants are pretty set, tho Pence being out leaves them short a back up OF. Doesn’t appear any hot prospects are ready to make the jump to mlb; maybe someone serves notice they are on cusp
    Otherwise, not much to see in ST.
    In the Rivera bio he said he hardly even threw at all and stayed in shape in off season anyway and I suspect most guys do that nowadays. Belt said he is on complete new nutritional diet, which is the kind of stuff that comes out of ST reporting.

Bozo thx for the link on the books. I’d like to check out the Tony Oliva bio.
    I know I’ve posted before on this but I distinctly remember watching Cuban ball in black and white including guys like Tony Gonzalez and Pancho Herrera from Phillies.
    Interesting take on the Olivera kid on F-G. Sometime soon the whole Cuban and int’l draft process bound to change and be more formalized.

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:19 am

Yeah willie, it looked like some fun reads were listed, that Tony Oliva one also caught my eye.

5. Nipper said, on March 9, 2015 at 8:19 am

Go Giants! It’s Spring and a new season is a few weeks away. Forget the big issues and stick with the minutia of the game. Every season has a life of its own. New faces new opportunities are waiting.

6. willedav said, on March 9, 2015 at 8:44 am

My fav week of college b-ball, conference tourneys. While big boys fight it out in leagues where 5 or more teams will get in, little guys battling just for their one shot often make for great games and showcase some super players.
    I looked at conference breakdowns and there are 20 of them where only the champ will get in and most likely be one and done and get crushed by a much better team next week once Madness starts. Meanwhile the Wofford Terriers (of Wendy Nix fame) battle the Furman Paladins (Richard Boone one of my early heroes) tonight for Southern Conference title and auto bid.

• snarkk said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:16 am

Was only a matter of time, Panda likes to talk. I knew at the time that 3 year offer at $40M was dumb and Panda would take it as an insult. Maybe it gave him an incentive to play during the season. The only surprise is that he says he’s only missing Bochy. And Pence.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:20 am

And the fans maybe? I agree with you though and it sounds like Sabean’s smug attitude backfired. I’ve said a few times that I don’t think Sandoval is the guy everybody seems to think he is.

• wilcojoe said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:44 am

Yeah to say he will only miss Bochy and Pence is a major slap in the face. The most interesting statement was that he wanted to leave the NL West, due to the “craziness” that would ensue when he had to face the Giants…If that isn’t a sign of some inner emotional weakness, I don’t know what is. I never thought I would say this, but I hope he gets off to worse start in 2015 than the one he had in 2014.

• PG said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:28 am

good riddance.

granted giants were foolish with that 40m offer knowing how pride is so big with players, but what had he done to deserve a 5/95 extension in April? pence wasn’t given an extension until after he had the monster year. And he didn’t have weight issues.

interesting the I don’t miss anyone but Bochy shit. thought he at least was tight with some of his hommies? maybe they had grown tired of panda crap.

7. Hargesheimer said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:08 am

Other teams in the division have improved. Sabean did less than stand pat with a roster that was extremely fortunate to make the post-season. The Rox could be their main competition.

8. stickman said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:16 am

Waay early to tell, but could there be a silver lining behind Pence’s injury? Former #1 prospect now dangling by a bit of skin left on a bad tooth, Gary Brown, knows well that this spring happens to be his last shot at The Show with SF. So far he’s having a good run. Keep an eye on that. Who knows? Other side of the coin was a poor outing by #1 pipeline starter replacement Ty Blach. But it is ST and this is AridZona where funny things can happen to certain pitches even before they reach the plate.

9. Flavor said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:29 am

Another good sign from the spring: Timmy’s got control of some wicked specialty pitches already. Timmy rebirth? Just in time to score some *Pablo coin* and shit on the Giants on the way out of town…..

10. zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:39 am

Today’s Giants game can help with the blahs. The return of Cainer, and it’s against the Dodgers. And Mattingly is starting all of his real starters. It’s ON, as far as Mattingly is concerned.
    How cool would it be to stick it to the Dodger starters today? Real cool, I think.

11. Irish Kevin said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:42 am

With winning/success come complacency?? For me spring traing has always meant nothing, all it is is a chance to see new players and learn their names. But once the regular season begins it is game on, root, root, root for the home team!!

12. zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:42 am

The more Sandoval talks, the more he has to back it up with his play on the field. If he wants to put more pressure on himself, that’s up to him. If he flops in Boston, he’ll hear the laughter all the way from the west coast.

13. Flavor said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:44 am

Pablo is just being dumb to do an interview like that. What is the point? Take a lesson in Bridge Burning 101. And what’s this bullshit about Sabean disrespecting his *agent*. Wasn’t that guy a relative? It was definitely someone who had just gotten his agent license, that much I remember for sure. Respect is something you earn. Who knows how this guy came into meetings with Sabean.
    And it would have been nice had he recognized the adoring fans who wore those stupid ass hats, cheering him regardless of his production or physical condition.

• wilcojoe said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:57 am

If Baer had any balls, he would hold some sort of promotion where you could return your Panda hat (like they do with guns) or burn the fucking things in effigy. Something fun and creative that could help a good cause (junior Giants?) but still allow Giants fans to poke fun at Sandoval. I can’t bring myself to call him Panda anymore.

14. Macdog said, on March 9, 2015 at 9:57 am

Sandoval’s done the impossible: He’s now made me root for the Yankees when they play the Red Sox this year. Screw him.

15. blade3colorado said, on March 9, 2015 at 10:25 am

Thanks for sharing Dirt . . . When I was in my teens working a number of jobs, I burned bridges all the time. Of course, they all were what I called “McJobs.” Then I joined the Air Force. What a wake up call that was. I remember the first fucking night arriving at Lackland AFB at 1 am in the morning, I knew I was in for a world of hurt immediately. Drill instructors were yelling at us every frickin’ second. Back then they were allowed to hit you and this one guy got cold cocked in the mouth. They didn’t let us go to bed until 4 am . . . and then woke us up at 6am. One guy was still sleeping and our drill sergeant comes running down to his bunk and says, “What the fuck do we have here? A God damn Sleeping Beauty,” and then proceeds to flip the bunk over with the recruit in bed. Me? I am thinking, “Oh oh . . . I just signed my life away for 4 years and this shit is serious business. If I fuck up, they are going to give me a dishonorable discharge and ruin the rest of my life.”

My point? That day, the world became a real place with consequences for my thoughts, words, and actions. As Flav alluded to, Pablo apparently missed the Burning Bridges 101 course. I don’t care who you are, that shit will come back to bite you. My opinion really doesn’t matter, but as far as I am concerned, Panda can go fuck himself.

16. Bozo said, on March 9, 2015 at 11:05 am

I don’t know what went on during the extension negotiations, or who dissed who, or even if there were other things that also pissed Pablo off. But it appeared that he wasn’t a disruption in the clubhouse last year, and if that is true, he gets props in my book. If he wants to talk shit now, so what? His new team and fans probably dig it. So he might get booed if he plays in SF again, so what? IMO what Jeff Kent said after he left for the Dodgers was worse, and now he’s back as an instructor.
    I for one will miss Pablo and I hope he does well, that is, until SF has to shut him up on the field.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on March 9, 2015 at 11:33 am

Macdog’s 9:57. I may feel the same. #traitor It’s like Brian Wilson. These guys have UTTERLY NO REASON to feel aggrieved by the Giants. Puhleeeeez.

18. Chipower9 said, on March 9, 2015 at 11:40 am

First, I am with you Flav regarding ST this year. And that is strange, in that my daughter and I typically go every year (her opening her salon this year, and me having a lot of stuff going on just made it unreal for this year). I always liked going down more for the vibe, and also as a chance to see the Giants’ youngsters. This year, I just am not that exicted about it all. I do enjoy hearing baseball over the airwaves again, but I am definitely ready for baseball when the games will matter.

I have read a couple of articles on Pablo, and the part that probably crawls up my ass more than anything else is this quote, made right after the parade:

After that parade, Sandoval said he hoped to stay in San Francisco,

And then to spew all the bullshit about how he knew he was leaving BEFORE ST last year.

I will always be thankful for his contributions to our boys winning multiple world series championships. Outside of that, Pablo can GO FUCK HIMSELF, HARD.

I am with (John, I believe) in that I hope he gets off to a slow start and sucks balls this year.

• blade3colorado said, on March 9, 2015 at 11:53 am

Thanks Chi for digging up that disingenuous remark of his, “I love being here, I love being here,” he told reporters at City Hall. “I love the way they keep all their guys together … I want to be here for the rest of my career. I want to wear that jersey for the rest of my career.”

I would love a reporter to question him on that remark. The liar would probably say he was misquoted. Sandoval equals asshole.

• chipower9 said, on March 9, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Thanks, but did not have to dig deep, Steve. It was part of one of the articles on CSNBA today. But glad it was there, as I remember the quote being one of the ones about which there was much discussion here on the Flap (this back in the final days before he decided to take his lying ass to Boston).

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Not me Chi, I wish him well. The only time I hope he sucks is whenever he plays the Giants.

• chipower9 said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:54 pm

That’s cool John. To each their own. It was just too much to hear him talk about how much he wanted to be a Giant for life, and then to come back with his latest bullshit. Fuck him. If he fails and is out of ball in a year, so be it. As I said earlier, I will always appreciate his contributions, but I could give a rats ass about him, now.

19. Nipper said, on March 9, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Pablo yacking doesn’t bother me. He’ll always be part of the three championship seasons. If he has issues he can hold on to them and go forth. Good luck to him.

20. zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Pagan back at lead-off today, with Aoki on the bench. I know it’s way early to make any judgments, but it would be nice for Aoki to start showing something. Anything.

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I haven’t checked a single spring stat yet. Anyone hitting at all?

• zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Belt is doing great so far.Batting over .400, lots of hard-hit balls coming off his bat. Gary Brown is doing a good job of trying to earn a spot. Ishi’s been hot. Crawford had a triple the other day. Most of the guys have yet to get going, though.

21. vogelsheiner said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Belt has had some monster springs and then the season opens and he can’t buy a hit. ST stats are about as relevant as AAA numbers.

• Alleykat said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:26 pm

That’s not true at all. Get your facts right Vogle with a shiner!
      He was one of the best hitters with power, had 8 HR’s which was top 10 before his hand was broken in June…
      Freak injuries are the only thing holding him back.With good fortune this year( knock on wood) he should put up solid numbers.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:28 pm

As I said on Twitter, I have a hard time hearing millionaire athletes invoke the terms “respect” or “disrespect.” If I really get into Sandoval’s head and heart, sure, I can see where the Giants’ initial offer stung. Or “insulted” (ahem). I can sort-of, halfway understand that. But really? For a guy who NEVER hit more than 25 homers or drove in 100 runs? Really? For a guy the Giants knew was always going to be a question mark regarding conditioning? Or who already weathered one legal entanglement? Also, knowing this is a business, that initial offers are merely that? And then for him to say he only misses Bochy and Pence. That’s it? No fans? No Murph? Nobody. I don’t know, Pablo. You’re really disappointing me. Go ahead, yuck it up with your new buds, David Ortiz and Hanley Ramirez. Have a good time. But stay out of the clubs. And the steakhouses. Eat some kale. With a dessert of humble pie.

• chipower9 said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Have seconds and even thirds of humble pie…and then don’t let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

• wilcojoe said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Great post Pawlie. Well said!

• Flavor said, on March 9, 2015 at 6:02 pm

excellent post, one of your best in a while

23. pawliekokonuts said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Giants rallying against Dodgers!!!!

24. Alleykat said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:40 pm

100% agree Pawlie..
    And it’s really pathetic when Panda has no compassion for his own countryman on the Team like Pagan, Blanco, Bam Bam Muelins, Casilla,Petit,Machi etc etc since usually they all hang out together..

25. chipower9 said, on March 9, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Cain with two shut-out innings today. Nice to see him put up those zeros. And while it is only ST…it is ALWAYS nice to BEAT L.A.! Fuck the Bums.

26. gianthead said, on March 9, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Of all years to be working from home and probably able to watch most every inning, I think we will have our worst year since 2008…don’t like all the question marks in the outfield with Our Boy Pence down…long season hopefully interrupted with a Dubs title….

27. Hargesheimer said, on March 9, 2015 at 3:22 pm

28. gianthead said, on March 9, 2015 at 3:34 pm

In regards to Panda, I like to go back to Jeff Kent. I loved Jeff Kent. I thought the year he had the motorcycle incident (it was the World Series year right 2002?) That management and Sabean made too much of it. He played balls out his entire time with the Giants and that should have been recognized and they could have kept the whole motorcycle thing quiet.

But management basically hung him out there instead of circling around one of their stars as they did with Bonds. Kent should have retired as a Giant and had his number retired as arguably the greatest Giant second baseman. But they f’d him and we had to deal with Ray Durham.

I love Panda and will always, underline, always love Panda. His presence with Lincecum and Cain resurrected the entire franchise. When he arrived and started smacking the ball around, there was hope for the future. Who else did we have then in the lineup that had such potential?

And then management rode his ass about his weight. I always said on the flap that he is who he is and let him play big if that is who he is. I am one of the ones who said I did not want to resign him because long-term was not in the Giants best interest. So of course he felt slighted with that silly initial offer. I think he is going to be a legend in Boston once they win a World Series and think they will in the next couple of years and I will be cheering Panda along…as long as he is not playing the Giants, which I doubt will happen in this year’s world series..

• Hargesheimer said, on March 9, 2015 at 3:42 pm

The question now is whether his heart will last the length of his contract.

• zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Sorry, but I think you’re really off on the Kent thing, GH. The Kent incident was not the 2002 season. It was some other season, and it cost the Giants that season. Plus he lied about it. And I don’t remember the Giants or Sabean making that big a deal out of it in the media.

• zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 4:47 pm

I stand corrected on the year. The motorcycle accident was indeed early 2002. I was confusing that with the year he missed some games because of a knee injury he got while playing.

• gianthead said, on March 10, 2015 at 8:33 am

sorry had not responded yesterday…hit a concert:) I clearly remember Sabean in an interview in the Chronicle slamming Kent for not owning up to what happened and said there would be repercussions or something to that effect…

• blade3colorado said, on March 9, 2015 at 4:01 pm

The Giants and Sabean didn’t say jack shit about Kent’s blatant lie . . . That was the media. Regardless, he flat out lied about it.

Props to Sandoval for his introduction in late 2008, outstanding 2009 season, All Star hitting, and 2012/2014 WS heroics. He definitely contributed during those aforementioned periods of time. However, more times then not, he would go missing in action for weeks and sometimes months. Him being benched in the 2010 WS isn’t a figment of our imagination. Just my opinion, but I think we got his “best” years and the Red Sox will regret signing him.

29. blade3colorado said, on March 9, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Happy for Frank Gore. Rumored that he will receive $7.5 million from the Eagles (about a million more then what he would have gotten from the 49ers).

30. zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Nice clean inning for Strickland in the top of the ninth. He needed that.

• Hargesheimer said, on March 9, 2015 at 6:43 pm

His most notable pitch is still his gopher ball.

31. zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 4:05 pm

The final score was 5-5. How’s that for an exciting Spring Training final score? 🙂
    The Giants scored all 5 runs off League, whose ERA is now 33.75. The Dodgers will be paying him $7.5 million this season, and he has a $7.5 million player option next season. One of the many bad contracts the Dodgers are stuck with from their previous front office.

• Hargesheimer said, on March 10, 2015 at 2:16 am

League’s contract has a vesting option if he finishes 55 games. It’ll be a surprise if he even pitches that many games.

32. Nipper said, on March 9, 2015 at 4:13 pm

ST …..yawn. The apple watch……your thoughts?

33. Bozo said, on March 9, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I realize I’m in the minority about Sandoval, and I do understand folks being disappointed by his interview but my reasons that it doesn’t bother me start with the Giants trying to play him, trying to low ball him and Pablo just played them back with the “I love being here, I love being here,” comeback. The bidding got hot and heavy and the weighty one got a bigger contract, fair enough in my opinion. Look I love what the owners have brought to SF since 93, but they have also done some kinda shady things (Bowtie, Edgar Renteria, Dusty to name a few) and I’m thinking they probably had written off Pablo until he shined in the Post Season, and it was time to save face.
    Why else would Sabean start his City Hall speech with “Before we hear the sign Panda chant”, “I think I’m a little light, Larry. Not enough, right Pablo?” I don’t know about you guys but that didn’t make me feel very comfortable with how the contract negotiations were going to go.

BTW Pablo’s regular season 7 year average stats are not far off of Hunter’s 8 year average stats, and Hunter played a majority of those years in Houston and Philly. So for him to ask that kind of money wasn’t far off IMO, yeah the whole conditioning thing is a valid point but so is Panda’s Post Season stats compared to Hunter’s.

But Chi is right, “to each their own” and I’m guessing most Giants fans agree with y’all, but watch Sabean’s speech and tell me again how the Giants management were all in.

• wilcojoe said, on March 9, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Well Sabean hasn’t exactly been the poster child for “ways to endear yourself with the fans and media” based on some of the shit that has come out of his mouth. However in his defense, that just comes with his east coast, speak your mind mentality. At least you know it’s authentic. Sandoval on the other hand had the audacity to take a cheap shot at his fellow teammates and coaches. Especially after what he said at the parade, he just comes across as shallow and fake. What’s his excuse? Yo no hablo ingles?

I will always remember his contributions as a GIant,but on a team where no one player ever caried it on his back, his legacy should be remembered as such.

34. Flavor said, on March 9, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I don’t recall the details about who Panda’s agent is but his brother was one of the guys involved. The other guy was someone I’d never heard of.
    But even if you ignore the obvious concerns about his conditioning and his underwhelming regular season stats, it only makes good sense to try to negotiate the socks off a rookie agent . If that’s what Sabean did when he came in low I don’t fault him one bit. In fact, Panda and his team getting butt-hurt about that just goes to show how inexperienced his side was.
    Panda was yapping about respect. Look, this wasn’t prison where respect rules every move you make. It was a contract negotiation, emotions need to go out the window during these and if Panda’s people weren’t rookies they could have told him this.
    In my opinion, Panda’s people were in over their heads and with this being his first walk-year deal he was clueless too.
    I don’t fault Sabean one bit for how he handled any of this. Sandoval carries risks and his regular season numbers don’t represent the value of the contract he got in Boston.

• Nipper said, on March 9, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I’m just glad I never bought a Panda hat.

• Bozo said, on March 9, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Again, I don’t know what was said in the negotiations, I don’t know if the Giants refused to give him a percentage of the Panda gear. I don’t know if they called him a fat ass rapist to his face or if PG&E said they tried to blow up his mom’s house. I don’t know what happened, but my gut says the Giants didn’t want him and he wasn’t in their plans until the fans forced the issue. So he jobbed them and I don’t blame him for that. Also, my gut says the snub was from Baer/ownership and only passed through Sabean. But what the fuck do I know?
      I hope the dude hits 80 HRs for the Sox this year but goes hitless as we beat them in the Series.

35. Flavor said, on March 9, 2015 at 7:17 pm

“If it were me, and I left an organization where I won three world championships, I probably wouldn’t be saying stuff like that,” (Brandon) Crawford said. “But that’s just me.”

• snarkk said, on March 9, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Subject to Pawlie’s review, even more impressive Crawford used “were” with a good attempt at the pluperfect subjunctive…

• Hargesheimer said, on March 11, 2015 at 4:03 am

Then, of course, there’s his ignorance of the proper personal pronoun.

36. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 9, 2015 at 8:14 pm

That’s a pretty funny comment from Crawford. He’ll be signing a 3 year deal by the end of spring for sure now.

37. willedav said, on March 9, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I mostly agree with bozo, except it’s just not an issue for me what Sandoval says or does now that he’s on Boston. With media there I’m sure you can get quotes every single day. Who cares? Wonder what Hanley has to say about Dodgers and 2 trips? “rollins is a better SS and hitter than I am?”
    In Sabes defense I wouldn’t have signed Pablo for 5 yrs at any price.
    My only point of contention is if Sabes wasn’t going to bring him back he should have had a better plan than Arias Duffy MacG because those guys are unlikely to match even Sandoval’s declining numbers.. And this isn’t the first time he has screwed up on IF, or 3b.

So Sando can do whatev. I’ll be paying closer attention to what Giants 3b do.

38. zumiee said, on March 9, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Sandoval misses his dance partner. 🙂

39. snarkk said, on March 9, 2015 at 10:17 pm

I’m kinda in the middle about Panda, compared to the rest of the Flappers. I never liked one bit the way he disrespected himself and his teammates by constantly being out of shape. But, I think Sabean and company did disrespect him, given his contributions. In April/May he’s worth $40M, then 5 months later he’s worth $95M? Why, to light a fire? You and I wouldn’t be disrespected if somebody offered us $40M, but we’re not major leaguers, in that market. So, I get where Panda was thinking that offer was bogus, ridiculous. From his saying he missed only Bochy and Pence — seems weird. But, maybe some of his teammates did give him the business about being out of shape, we just never heard about it. Certainly possible with the media/beat writers here who never seem to ask a tough question. And, I doubt seriously he wanted to disrespect the SF fans — he just didn’t say he missed us. None of these guys are orators competing with William Jennings Bryan. So, I’m not too miffed — anyway, he’s gone now. Sabean has to figure a way to put guys on the squad that can score without him. Would I prefer he still be at third, and not McGehee? Sure. I don’t have any animosity for him, whatever he says — he was a big part of the greatest modern run of the Giants…

40. Flavor said, on March 10, 2015 at 5:40 am

and following this, a new thread emerged….

• Nipper said, on March 11, 2015 at 6:07 pm