Aubrey Huff v. Panda

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 14, 2015

I didn’t hear the interview with Huff on 95.7 but I read the Facebook post. I’m going to stand behind the Panda on this one. And not just because I don’t trust guys who use that many exclamation points to make their *point*. Huff is talking about the Sandoval he knew in the 2010 world series run. Panda had pretty much eaten his way off that post season starting line up. And while Huff was around for one of Sandoval’s revivals in 2011, he was gone for most of 2012 and a dim shell of his 2010 self in the 2012 world series. I wonder how Pablo’s teammates felt about him the night he blasted 3 bombs off “That Damn Pitcher?” The 2010 team was filled with crusty old vets who probably didn’t take too kindly to Sandoval’s fat and spotty production. I chose to believe that Huff was long gone by the time Panda turned a corner in his career by refocusing on what it takes to be a winner and believe me, his teammates know they don’t win ’12 and ’14 without him. Maybe he wasn’t as beloved as we thought in the clubhouse but Aubrey Huff squawking from his Facebook account is just static to me.

1. Nipper said, on March 14, 2015 at 7:38 am

I like that hockey player Joe Thorton who just told his GM to “just shut-up.” That’s what a lot of people should do, just shut the bleep up!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 14, 2015 at 8:12 am

“And stop lying”. That was a pretty good blast.

2. willedav said, on March 14, 2015 at 7:51 am

Exactly, Flav.. KInda ironic he gets after Sandoval, as a guy who self destructed and destroyed his own career shortly after signing a big deal and contributed to team’s demise in 2011 by not being able to compete. And yes, Sandoval is still playing, with 2 more rings. If he did do the cardio work after every game, 4-5 times a week, that’s a helluva lot more than I do, and it ain’t fun. Sandoval got himself in good enough shape to play all last year and still be able to rake in playoffs and WS.

But really, Boston media is never gonna stop talking to Sandoval so there will always be a story.
    I really don’t care what he says or does with Hanley and Ortiz and I’d rather not discuss it anymore, here or anywhere else. So many more important issues for Giants and fans, imo.
    I loved Uribe, but he’s Puig’s buddy and playing on the Dodgers—same deal.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 14, 2015 at 8:18 am

I’ve tried listening to that station a couple times on the ride home from work but just can’t take it. The afternoon guy just tries to hard at a Jim Rome angle or something. Tolbert is way better even though he’s stuck with Ratto. Who thinks that guy is gold on the air?

As far as Huff’s comments? Meh, who’s is he?

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 9:31 am

Tolbert has grown on me. Ratto? The worst.

4. willedav said, on March 14, 2015 at 8:21 am

Yeah, Sharks have problems but Joe Thornton ain’t one of them. What a mess.

Watched the vid on cbssports site on J Young’s game winning 3 for Oregon. 2 guys let him get it off and allowed him enough space, something you just can’t do when league’s best player has ball in his hands.
    Fighting Ducks are well coached by Altman and will be tough matchup as mid seed in Tourney. Only 3 Pac schools will get in–just hope no one embarrasses league, which wasn’t very strong this year after U of A, a team that wins ugly with D and rebounding.

5. zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 8:56 am

Huff was on the Giants’ playoff roster in ’12. He was basically just a left-handed pinch-hitter. He had a bad knee and couldn’t play the field much. He injured his knee jumping over the dugout railing after Cain’s perfect game. Not exactly a genius move.
    Huff had 10 plate appearances in the ’12 playoffs, only 1 in the World Series that year. He had a front row seat for Sandoval’s epic performance against Detroit.
    Huff felt like somebody should respond to Sandoval’s comments; but as was said, he’s talking more about the ’10 Sandoval. And as was also said, the East Coast media will keep riding the conflict as long as they can. They live for that kind of thing.

There are a lot of MLB teams that made big off-season moves this year. There are lots of stories out there. Obviously, only 1 team can win the championship this season, though, so there are going to be a lot of teams whose moves won’t get it done this season. And some of those teams will be realizing they’re stuck with some bad contracts.

6. zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 9:02 am

One of the Sandoval’s misjudgments in his comments is that he doesn’t seem to realize that he’s perplexing Red Sox fans, too. They don’t know what to make of this guy now. Sure, they won’t care about any of it, if he produces well and helps the Sox win; but if he struggles and the team struggles, it will be very rough in Boston-Land.

7. zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 9:14 am

Speaking of the Red Sox, I read a thing recently about them that kind of blew my mind. I had totally forgotten this over the many years: Jim Rice did not play in the ’75 playoffs. He missed that 7-game World Series against the Reds. Rice had been hit on the wrist by a pitch with 2 weeks left in the regular season. Rice had gone .306/22/102 that season. He could have been a difference-maker in the ’75 World Series. It just shows that, as time goes on, no one feels sorry for the losing teams. History steamrolls over the bad breaks the losing teams suffer.
    I’m glad the ’75 Reds won the World Series, though. I like that the Big Red Machine won back to back championships. It just seems right.
    However, the Big Red Machine only won 2 championships as compared to the Giants winning 3 in 5. How awesome a thing to have won more championships in a span than the Big Red Machine!

8. zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 9:19 am

Bruce Jenkins’ take on Sandoval-gate:

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2015 at 10:19 am

good take….as was said on Comcast last night (Lowell Cohn and Marcus Thompson??), his Boston mates are not going to like some of this…what are you gonna say about me / us when you’re done here??

9. pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2015 at 10:14 am

It doesn’t matter what is literally true. Everyone is subjective. It is just disappointing that Sandoval even feels the NEED to do this. Mark my words. He will get in some trouble with Hanley — on the field, off the field, or both.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 10:57 am

Yeah, it was a huge PR gaffe by Sandoval. In tennis, they would say he committed an unforced error.

10. Nipper said, on March 14, 2015 at 10:18 am

Okay Pablo ain’t perfect and he seems a little foolish but in fairness try and sound intelligent in a second language with media types probably baiting every syllable. Perhaps when he looks back many years later he’ll chuckle about all the fuss and hopefully he will be counting his money if any of it is left.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 14, 2015 at 10:21 am

…which is why it never much bothered me that Steve Carlton was sphinx-like quiet for years with the press….even that is funny in its own way….when he was desperate and done, e.g., with the Giants, he sang like a canary to the press

• Lurker John said, on March 14, 2015 at 2:10 pm

At this point, he speaks English just fine. No excuse.

11. zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 10:43 am

Maybe the best episode of “Better Call Saul” yet, this past week (which is saying something, because all of the episodes have been good to terrific so far.) Mike’s back-story in this episode. Not to be missed.

• gianthead said, on March 14, 2015 at 1:26 pm

BETTER CALL SAUL is awesome! Amazing how well written the last episode was…

12. Hargesheimer said, on March 14, 2015 at 10:52 am

What does Arianna have against Sandoval?

13. snarkk said, on March 14, 2015 at 11:41 am

LIke I said, I’m not too excited one way or the other with Panda. He had a fine run with the Giants. Huff was a contributor in 2010, no denying it. He may be a bad guy to speak about not being in shape, but I believe there’s way more than a kernel of truth in what he says about Pablo and the way at least some of his teammates were PO’d about him being outta shape. Onward, w/out the Panda. That McGehee dude is hitting way over .400 in ST, so hey, that’s not looking too bad over there at third…

14. snarkk said, on March 14, 2015 at 11:42 am

Ray Ratto is horrible to read, hearing him on radio is like nails on a blackboard. The negative, condescending schtick gets old in about 5 seconds. Daily doses? Pleez. I saw him on a plane once. Guy is about 5’8″ and Pandaesque without the skills…

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I can’t figure out why he keeps that gig. He isn’t funny, so his negative bullshit doesn’t even give you any humor. He never played sports. He claims to have NEVER had a favorite team, even before he became a sports writer. He’s never said a single thing where I ever went “oh, I never thought about it that way before.”
      Tolbert routinely calls him out for his worthless, off base comments and when he tries to defend them he just gets himself caught up in point that descends into nonsense.
      I preferred Tolbert with Byrnes.

• gianthead said, on March 14, 2015 at 1:31 pm

I was about to write here that Ratto (never listened to him on radio just read him in the past or his recent comcast appearances) is a miserable person and he probably does not love sports or does not root for any teams. He just wrote about it without any love. This is why I love watching Kornheiser and Wilbon on PTI as Wash Post columnists in their history, they love sports and they root for their favorite teams and players…so thanks for adding that Flav…

15. Alleykat said, on March 14, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Never cared for Walruses,and Ray Ratto fits one to a tee..

• Hargesheimer said, on March 14, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Goo Goo Goo Joob

16. Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 12:10 pm

marty lurie ‏@baseballmarty 2m2 minutes ago
    Just got a note from a listener that former Giant GM & star third baseman for the Cleveland Indians Al Rosen passed away Friday..great man

• gianthead said, on March 14, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Got a chance to meet Rosen and Roger Craig…old school legends and wonderful men..

17. Lurker John said, on March 14, 2015 at 1:53 pm

A guy uses too many exclamation points because he’s a crappy writer and not well-schooled in grammar and punctuation. Nothing to do with trust. Panda turned a corner with the tremendous WS performances in 2012 and 2014, but did his character change as well? He started this whole thing, without provocation, and comes off as nothing more than a petulant child.

Huff stepping in may have been a case of bad timing, but his motivation as far as I’m concerned is just to come to the defense of former teammates and the franchise with which he had his greatest triumph as a ballplayer. The shine has come off Sandoval’s star in a big way to my mind. He had it damn good in S.F. yet he feels compelled to bad-mouth the very franchise that put him in position to have his notable successes in the first place. Pretty poor judgement.

18. zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Duffy with two hits so far today, and hitting .381 in ST so far, clearly deserves a roster spot more than the hapless Adrianza. If Duffy has to start the season in Sac-town only because Adrianza is out of options, that’s just wrong.

19. zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 2:19 pm

It’s a small world that baseball can be. Al Rosen was a star on the Cleveland team that the Giants defeated in the World Series in ’54; and then later, of course, Rosen was the GM putting together the revival of the Giants in the late ’80s and early ’90s.

• Nipper said, on March 14, 2015 at 3:53 pm

When I was a kid I got this heavy bat called the Al Rosen Model. Never knew who the guy was until years later when he became the Giants GM. That bat is heavy and I still have it today.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 4:05 pm

another POTD, Nip. You keep piling those up

20. wilcojoe said, on March 14, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Looks like Cain got hit pretty hard today. Of greater concern may be Casilla who gave up three hits and another run today. Apparently he cant seem to locate his fastball. He better find it before April 6th. With Romo still yet to pitch in a game, those late inning arms are looking pretty iffy right about now.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Strickland, baby! I love me some Strick. Throws a million miles an hour with pinpoint location (on pitches that don’t leave the yard)

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 4:08 pm

of course, in my spam filter, there is a cogent, thoughtful counter point to my post:
        ODB
        Thepussy@hotmail.com
        63.249.119.162 Cleared by Akismet
        Submitted on 2015/03/03 at 5:13 pm
        That Strickland needs to take a cock in the ass for picking up where he left off.

• Hargesheimer said, on March 15, 2015 at 3:12 am

Strickland has a long-term future in BP (no, not British Petroleum).

21. willedav said, on March 14, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Just like Sandoval, Huff should keep his mouth shut.
    This guy had a big fat contract in reward for what he did and then partied himself out of shape mentally and physically to the point where he was utterly useless. This is like those guys who get in the NBA and have 5 kids with 4 different women. No one held a gun to his head and said he had to go to every off season event and ruin himself. Any of his former teammates call him out for that, or wasting the money the team spent?
    I can feel for the guy to have sunk so low, but calling out others, no.

• Lurker John said, on March 15, 2015 at 11:09 am

Interesting that Blanco backed up Huff’s comments yesterday. And how in hell is a deadbeat dad the same as a guy who allegedly “partied himself our of shape medically and physically?” Poor analogy.

• willedav said, on March 15, 2015 at 3:19 pm

OK i’ll clear it up for you.
        What I’m talking about are guys who get big money and don’t know how to handle themselves, leading to utter and complete ruin.
        Exhibit A being Aubrey Huff.
        There’s no allegedly about it, Huff brought it down on himself and admitted he was woefully out of shape.
        What a waste.

22. blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Yeah, like me some Duffy. Hope he is on the plane to San Francisco.

For Zum and snarkk – I watched my 1st episode of The Walking Dead last night (premier). Loved it! Special effects and in your face violence is spot on (and not gratuitous IMO). By the by, since I am getting this on the sites snarkk provided me and I know this is a cable production – does network TV have this level of realism, e.g., language, sex, and violence? Dunno, since I cut the cord years ago.

Also, as Lurker John said, “he (Pablo) speaks English just fine.” Ditto on Pawlie, Zum, snark, et. al., saying this was an “unforced error” on Pablo’s part, that didn’t “NEED” to be made.

Ratto – what an appropriate name.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 5:07 pm

The big difference, language-wise, between network TV and regular cable (not counting pay-channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.) is that the word “shit,” and it’s more colorful form “bullshit,” can be said on cable shows.
      The sex scenes on regular cable can be a little more graphic and suggestive. Violence, though, I think, can be considered about equal. The network show “Gotham,” for example, is as graphically violent as anything on regular cable.

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 5:13 pm

On a recent episode of “Justified,” one character called another a pussy, and I don’t think that’s allowed on network TV. But even on regular cable, that word can only be used when calling a guy a wimp, and not used to mean an actual sex organ. The same with the word “dick.” It seems like I’ve heard “dick” used on network TV before, as in calling someone a jerk. I think I heard it used on “West Wing,” and maybe some other shows.

• blade3colorado said, on March 14, 2015 at 5:21 pm

This show – The Walking Dead – I have started watching is five years old, so I am wondering when they were allowed to cross this line? Or, perhaps because The Walking Dead is Sci Fi, they are allowed to do graphic head shot bullet wounds, bodies crawling around with their legs missing, gruesome face wounds showing half a skull, etc.? Dunno . . .

• zumiee said, on March 14, 2015 at 5:36 pm

I would agree with that theory, in the same way that “Family Guy” and “American Dad” can get away with some things that would never be allowed on live-action network and even some cable shows.
        But I wouldn’t under-estimate the influence of the CSI-type shows either. Because the victims’ bodies are dead, the shows kept pushing the envelope on what they showed, in regards to gruesome-ness. Because the CSI shows became such big hits, the networks’ censors seemed to allow more and more in what could be shown.

23. willedav said, on March 14, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Cyclones! Home of the famous Big Vic Alexander, no doubt happy his boys took down Kansas.
    More bad news for West Coast teams as SD St. loses to Wyoming Cowboys and Larry Nance Jr.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Iowa St winning with Ellis playing for Kansas? What a big win for that program

• wilcojoe said, on March 14, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Great article. Baggs also had a great piece last night about the first major league team Bochy managed, the scabs of the 95 strike. There were some great quotes by Bochy and Flannery…I never heard Flannery do color for the Padres (maybe Sandawg did) when he wasn’t coaching but I would wager he was fantastic…If the Giants were smart and he was willing, they should consider grooming him to be Krukows heir apparent. God forbid, Krukow can’t go much longer.

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 7:39 pm

SanDawg….a name from our past. Hopefully we hear from him once the season starts. I almost texted him today. He’s living the dream in San Diego. If you haven’t met SanDawg yet you need to. One of the great dudes of our time……

24. Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Carl Steward ‏@stewardsfolly 20m20 minutes ago Arizona, USA
    I felt horrible today breaking news to Roger Craig that Al Rosen had died. They were great friends — still called each other once a month.

• wilcojoe said, on March 14, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Wow, that had to have been pretty rough. I wonder what the circumstances were that led to Carl breaking the news to the Humm Baby? Carl Steward is another great writer. The Bay Area may not have the “Woodward and Bernstein’s” when it comes to sports reporting, but they do have some fine writers (Ray Ratto the obvious exception).

• Flavor said, on March 14, 2015 at 7:41 pm

I thought the same thing, that’s why I posted it here. Steward broke the news to Craig? Anyway, Craig and Rosen were a force back in the day. Not a World Series winning force but a force that fueled us as fans, they are part of who we are today……

25. twinfan1 said, on March 14, 2015 at 8:19 pm

*Huff and Sandoval go Mouth to Mouth for the Flapper “You Dissin’ me, Pal?” 2015 Championship *Live on Direct TV Pay for View CH. 125 Monday March 15 8:00 PM

* Terrible news- Belt is hot

*Bochy won’t play Blanco in RF because he catches too many fly balls

* 5 guys in tonight’s LU are below .200 – and Quiroz isn’t one of them.

* I kid you not- I was watching one of my crime shows and this guy calls another guy a “d i c k wad” How can they get away with that on network TV? That’s one of “my words”
    *Nice outing for Vogey until he got into the late innings. Third inning closer Gregorio is in.

* If you were a hot shot ESPN insider like Big Country Mike you’d know that LaTroy might get a lighter load now that he’s got his AARP card.

26. blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:36 am

Raise your hand if you knew this . . . In 1950, Rosen won the MVP, but did you know for lack of one hit, he would have been a Triple Crown winner that year?

RIP Al

• wilcojoe said, on March 15, 2015 at 7:49 am

Did not know that. Also did not know that he is the only person to win the MVP and Executive of the Year award (97 with Giants).

27. willedav said, on March 15, 2015 at 8:11 am

Stayed up to watch UC Irvine Anteaters win their league and get in last night. They have 7-5 post Ndiaye who looks like slightly heavier version of Manute Bol and a couple decent guards. They played in bay area earlier and got waxed, I think by Cal. One and done, but first time in, kids stormed the court, etc.

Kentucky has local angle too, Marcus Lee of Deer Valley Walnut Creek, And could have another, nationally high rated Ivan Rabb 6-10 post with multiple skills out of Bishop O’Dowd of Oaktown.

Lot of nice things said about Al Rosen, recruited by Lurie to become GM and a guy who got Giants out of the dark days and back into contention. Obviously a good baseball man and smart enough to let Craig do his job.

28. willedav said, on March 15, 2015 at 8:16 am

Didn’t realize it but Giants will have 6 games with LA before a series middle of May without Pence, who might not be rolling by then either so that would make it 9. Hmmnn…I know it’s early but dropping games to LA wouldn’t be good.

29. Nipper said, on March 15, 2015 at 8:32 am

All this fuss about what Pablo is saying got me thinking about when he retires from the game many years from now of course, it would be ironic if he comes back to work for the Giants in some capacity and everyone just laughs it all away. That’s the way this crazy world works.

• Alleykat said, on March 15, 2015 at 9:27 am

Probably not in the Public Relations department.

30. SanDawg said, on March 15, 2015 at 10:34 am

I’ve said this before on here, and I know others like Snarrk have said similar things, but I think Al Rosen is a HUGE figure in SF Giants history. I was embarrassed to be a Giants fan for a good chunk of the 70’s and 80’s before Rosen was hired. Ever since that day, we have had our ups and downs, but I feel we have been a first class organization. I remember my brother and I cracking up while listening to an interview with Rosen not long after he was hired. You could tell he was gonna clean house and change the culture big time. At one point in the interview, he referred to one of the players in the past tense (I want to say it was either David Green or Dan Driessen) even though he was still technically on the team. He said something like “He wasn’t a good fit for our team”—even though he was still on the 40 man roster. Sure enough, that guy did not wear orange and black again.

31. SanDawg said, on March 15, 2015 at 10:45 am

As for Flannery the broadcaster, yes he was very good and personable. He is still absolutely loved down here in San Diego. I’ve never met the guy, but I have seen his band play a couple of times. One time several years back, I went camping in Mexico with a buddy of mine. We were exploring some remote areas on the Sea of Cortez of San Felipe powering tequila and beers while swimming and lounging in some natural hot springs down there. We ended up camping right at the water’s edge all by ourselves in this cool cove—no bar, cantina, nothing. Just around dinner, my buddy passed out, never to be heard from again that night. We had a radio with us and it somehow picked up the Padre game—and Flannery was on the broadcast. I sat there by the fire by myself and listened to every pitch and all of the post game crap—which I usually can’t stand. I remember being impressed by Flan. Ismael Valdez threw the first complete game of the year for Pads–maybe even a shutout, and at one point in the broadcast, they announced that Reagan had died that day. I don’t how I remember this shit.
    I think the transmitter for the Padres station (the Mighty 1090) is an absolute blow torch that is stationed in Mexico and doesn’t have the limitations on it that the ones in the states have. I have also been camping in Tahoe and picked up the Pads on 1090 at night when the conditions are right.

• Lurker John said, on March 15, 2015 at 11:16 am

“I think the transmitter for the Padres station (the Mighty 1090) is an absolute blow torch that is stationed in Mexico and doesn’t have the limitations on it that the ones in the states have…”

LOL!

• snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I’ve often wondered about buying “organic” produce sourced from Mexico.
        Does that mean it only has two banned pesticides on it, not three?…

• SanDawg said, on March 15, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Don’t ever by organic Snarrk—it’s a scam!!!!

32. SanDawg said, on March 15, 2015 at 10:57 am

I wish I could join in the talk about TV shows, but I just can’t—tv shows and movies just aren’t my bag. I know this will be treason around here, but I tried to get into Breaking Bad a few months back and it just didn’t do it for me. I love the premise of the show, I think the acting is great, but for me, they take things a little too far and it becomes, for me anyway, campy and unrealistic, which I don’t like. I’ve seen bits of Walking Dead too, and nothing about it leaves me wanting more.
    As for the NCAA tourney, I think Kentucky is going to get beat. They’re awesome, I think Cal is a great coach, but I think the SEC is a little weak this year and someone in the big dance is gonna catch Kentucky on an off night and trip them up.
    Other than my beloved Aztecs, I’m pulling hard for Notre Dame. I traditionally have not been a fan of Notre Dame sports teams, but Mike Brey is my kind of coach. No screaming, no Bobby Knight/Pittino tyrades, cool and positive when things are going bad, seems like he doesn’t have a huge ego, gets his guys to pass the ball and plays a fun brand of ball to watch. If I was parent of a stud player, Brey would be on my short list of guys to encourage him to play for.

33. snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Nice posts, ‘Dawg.
    Camping out by the Sea of Cortez sounds awesome. As long as there’s not a bunch of bandoleros around looking for scoring something off some gringos out in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, Al Rosen. I heard about this yesterday on the Marty Lurie show, I almost called in. Maybe I will today. I think Al Rosen, next to Bob Lurie, is the most important person in modern Giants history. Not Magowan, not Bonds, not Sabean. One, without Lurie, the Giants would have gone to Toronto. That deal in ’76 was DONE. Stoneham, a boozer and loser, had run the team into the crapper. It was horrible. Mays was long gone, Stretch had been traded in ’74, and nobody was showing up at the Stick. The team was the a-hole of the NL. So, Stoneham was selling the team for a case of Labatts. Enter Lurie. He saved the team for his native city, and for me, for you. Case closed. Without Bob Lurie, there wouldn’t have been an ’82 in your eye to the Dodgers by Joe Morgan, no ’87 playoffs and oneflapdown, nor the ’89 Series team. No Will Clark (Rosen personally scouted him). Hell, there wouldn’t be this blog. There wouldn’t have been a team for Magowan to buy in ’93, nor a Barry Bonds, nor the wonder that is ATT. Not without Lurie. He’s old and in the distance now, so unfortunately he gets not near enough credit for doing what he did. Is there any tribute to him at ATT? I don’t think so. If not, that’s a shame.

Once Lurie kept the team in SF, he finally got smart after one disastrous (Spec, anyone?) and one poor (Haller) GM hire. He brought in a no-nonsense, baseball man GM with a business head and an eye for managerial and field talent. Rosen was the guy that changed the bullshit around, for good. As a player in the ’50s, Rosen took a lot of crap being one of just a few Jewish players. He played his ass off on the way to earning respect and shutting up the bigots. He knew that the way to win was to perform, not complain — and give more shit than you got. Peformance wins. Yes, he was the guy that turned around the Giants bullshit battleship, which nobody else could do since ’71. He told the organization basically — Candlestick IS a shithole, but it’s OUR shithole, so live with, love it, and use it to our advantage. That, or get the hell out, or I’ll move you out myself — this is friggin’ professional baseball. It worked. And, Roger Craig, his able assistant pushing that attitude, changed a generation+ long malaise and perennial embarrassment of a team into a contender. Since then, the organization left the Laughinstock station for points north. Later, he had trouble sustaining the team, too, with the Stick getting older. Lurie didn’t want to send the Giants out of town, but he was losing his ass, and forced the issue. I think he knew somebody with more wherewithal would step up. And, Magowan and group did. We know the rest. I could go on, but that’s plenty and the crux of it.

Yes, Al Rosen was a huge character in the SF Giants history. ALL positive. RIP and a Giant THANK YOU to Al Rosen…

• wilcojoe said, on March 15, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Great post Snarkk!

• DJLoo said, on March 15, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Snarkk, you and several others here are really talented writers. A Flapalooza could be intellectually challenging for a Brooklyn dumbo. Your Lurie stuff reminds me of Hyman Roth’s speech about Moe Greene.

• snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Dude, you say in 6 words more than I do in 60, and way more amusing…

• snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 12:33 pm

I’ve busted on Blanco plenty for his offensive play. But, never for anything he’s done off field. No issue there. That was a classy interview he gave. Well done. And, he basically backed up Huff; and sounds somewhat wounded and bewildered by what Panda said. For Blanco to do that gives a window into how the teammates generally dealt with Pablo — with gritted teeth…

34. Flavor said, on March 15, 2015 at 12:53 pm

great posts today. Sorry, I am sick as fuck, or I’d chime in with more

• snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Plenty of fluids and vitamin C, if it’s the flu, BF.
      Massive quantities of chicken soup, too…

35. snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Sorry for my long ramble about Al Rosen. But, I really feel it for that guy. Miracle workers are high on my admiration list…

36. Alleykat said, on March 15, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Yes, most of us have ripped into Blanco at one time are another,4-5 outfielder at best, but he really showed #1″Major Class” on his feelings toward Panda when most are reluctant to speak out..

• snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Yeah, kat. Blanco could’ve kept his yap shut, but he manned up, and showed class. He was a Panda buddy, so for Panda to only mention Bochy and Pence as people he’d miss must have hurt Blanco. I think Pablo really didn’t mean that. But, he’s not the brightest bulb in the universe — he seems to talk like he swings — without thinking too much before doing it…

37. snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Last radio interview of Al Rosen now playing on KNBR…

38. Alleykat said, on March 15, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Great post Snarkk!
    And so true about Al Rosen changing the image and attitude of the club back in 86-87 after poor old Jimmy Davenport in his only rodeo as manager, had the undeserved legacy of leading the team to 88 losses( over 100 after Roger Craig relieved him of future embarrassment the last few weeks.

The reason I used “undeserved ” for Davenport is that not one player had a decent year, some age, some just tanked, it was kind of mystifying how bad they played that year,and he just lost respect,so he was easily gonna be the fall guy, since you can’t dump the players.
    I’m sure he wished he had Will& Robbie in his LU though, just 1 year too early for them.”Timing is Everything”but Roger obviously along with Rosen was obviously “The Right Choice” going forward.
    RIP Al Rosen
    Like Snarkk and others have said:You helped set the foundation for the org going forward, with your grit& determination for cleaning house and changing attitudes of players to make our shithole(Candlestick) an advantage for the Giants and a detriment to opposing teams..

39. wilcojoe said, on March 15, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Todays Giants game (scheduled start time 3:05pt) is on a two-hour delay on the MLB network. Start time 5:05pm pt.

40. Alleykat said, on March 15, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Right now in the Bay Area the Giants game is on Comcast channel 186 due to extended golf coverage going to a playoff.

41. blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Yep, nailed it snarkk (regarding Lurie, Rosen, and Craig). Dunno where we would have been without those 3 rescuing us from the baseball wilderness.

42. blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Charles Oakley was honored by the Raptors on Friday, but he also played for Chicago, New York, Washington and Houston in a career that stretched from 1985-2004. He had little good to say about today’s game. Loved him when he played and essentially said that today’s players had “no heart.”

The Raptors paid tribute to Oakley on Friday night, handing out bobbleheads to the first 5,000 fans. Oakley played 208 games for Toronto between 1998 and 2001. He never had a bobblehead night during his playing days and cracked me up when he responded to a question regarding if he could have imagined having a bobblehead day?

“Well, I had a head so you never know what could happen,” he said. lqtm.

43. zumiee said, on March 15, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Great stuff, guys. Lots of cool things on the Flap today.

44. zumiee said, on March 15, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Well, whiskey tango foxtrot, I’m not getting the Giants game on the MLB Network. Apparently I’m being blacked out. Why would they black out a Spring Training game in Arizona that was on tape-delay? I think I remember asking that question in previous years, also.

45. zumiee said, on March 15, 2015 at 5:10 pm

I’ve been reading Sharry Wilson’s book about Neil Young’s childhood and early years in bands. She did a lot of research, and the book has lots of previously unpublished photos. Overall, an interesting read.

• blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Zum (or anyone else) have you read any Larry McMurtry? I’ve only read Lonesome Dove, which I loved; and am now reading Telegraph Days, which I am also enjoying. If you have read his work, what should I read next? Mea culpa – not really into Western genre, but when I do read an “oater,” I like them, i.e., any suggestions would be welcome. For example, I love Cormac McCarthy and have read a few of his books (All the Pretty Horses, The Border Trilogy; No Country for Old Men; and The Road).

Again, any suggestions would be welcome.

• willedav said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Blade, Elmore Leonard did a couple good ones, re: the hot kid set in Oklahoma I think.
        I love most all of his stuff but these (2 at least I think) were both really good and very different.

• zumiee said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:22 pm

I haven’t read any McMurtry, McCarthy, or Leonard yet. Those are authors I’d like to get around to reading at some point. The TV show “Justified,” which is in the midst of its 6th and final season, is based on a Leonard short story “Fire In The Hole.”
        I did see McMurtry’s son, James, perform with his band at a music festival, and was impressed.

• zumiee said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:26 pm

The “Longmire” TV show is a modern western, and is based on a series of novels by Craig Johnson. I haven’t read any of them yet; I like the TV series.

• blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Thank you both.

46. old4times said, on March 15, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Still put McGowan Sabean ahead of Lurie Rosen.

47. willedav said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Props to Bill Walton for his commentary during Pac 12 tournament—insightful, funny, laudatory on graduating seniors and accomplishments of teams in the league, and high praise for the venue in Vegas, where he is shown schmoozing with fans at pool and having fun with mascots on sideline.
    At one point his co-host is commenting on seeds for Tournament and mentions Virginia could be #1 in the West, and Walton says, “Now wait a minute. Geography was one of my majors…”

I really don’t want to go any further with Sando noise, but I agree he brought it on himself. He could easily tell Boston media, “look, I’m here now I want to win 3 in 5 for my new team and that’s all I want to focus on” yada yada. Zero reason to diss anything Giants related. I honestly don’t care what happens in Boston to him or anyone else.

My beef is with Huff, who turned to shit once Giants gave him a deal for $10 mil x 2 very sucky years when he was in no shape to play mentally or physically. Giants were hurting in 2011 and he was MIA as his stats dropped precipitously and Bochy kept playing him instead of Belt tho he continued to suck. Then next year he hit .190 and was even worse. Imo he is last guy to call others out for not being able to play.

48. zumiee said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:42 pm

A lot of Giants fans are looking for some schadenfreude now with Sandoval. His .188 batting average in Spring Training so far lights a little spark of that. Meanwhile, McGiggles is hitting around .400 in Spring Training so far. This early, it doesn’t mean that much, but it’s sort of a thing that will be compared throughout the season.

49. snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:44 pm

willied, would like your opinion on the NCAA brackets.
    Murray State and Colorado State each win 27 games, but don’t get in because they didn’t win their conference tourney. UCLA gets in with 20 wins, and some horrendous, lopsided losses. I think that is crap. And, I think these conference tourneys are crap. You can end up as a conference not sending your best team to the NCAA tourney, and the kids on the team that wins the regular season have to wonder what the hell they have to do to get a shot at the big dance. It’s just not right…

50. DJLoo said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:48 pm

That nickname “McGiggles” just kills me for some reason. Might’ve been created by Dirt…

51. paulinasia said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Excellent posts about Rosen, et al. Ya’ll know more about the Giants in that era, so I’m just wondering if anyone could briefly summarize just what had happened before Lurie/Rosen/Craig…. why were the Giants wandering lost in the “baseball wilderness”?

• snarkk said, on March 15, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Bad ownership pre Lurie, coupled with not enough money. Bad management after Lurie took over until Rosen. Plus, not enough money from bad attendance, bad ballpark. That about sums it up…

52. stickman said, on March 15, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Must be a lead-up to St. Pat’s Day. Two best hitters for SF this spring have been McGeehe and Duffy. Hudson did not pitch very deep. Must be a bit tender. Nice to get a shutout vs the Snakes. Whiskey Foxtrot Tango on winning pitcher being one Curtis Partch. Had to look him up. Big boy at 6’6″ and 200++. RHP who had major control problems in his two callups with Cincy over the past couple years. ST invite , i imagine. He gave up a pile of gopher balls for the Reds, but weirdly, held opposing batters to under a .200 BA. Maybe a major project this spring for Rags and Gards. Interesting today is that he gave up no dingers AND no BB’s.
    Sacramento may get a long look at this 2007 26th rounder.

53. blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Willie, I knew that Leonard ONLY wrote about pulp fiction westerns in the ’50s up until the late 60s (I think), then someone suggested that he write crime and mystery books. Not certain which Westerns you are talking about. Hombre? Valdez Is Coming? If you find out what the titles are, give me a shout.

54. blade3colorado said, on March 15, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Paul, regarding your question about the Giants “Wilderness” years – What snarkk said . . . Fortunately, this was my “drug period” and I could give a rat’s ass because it was all a blur.

• DJLoo said, on March 15, 2015 at 7:15 pm

The “Wilderness” years were just a small part of the “Coffee Cup” years…

55. zumiee said, on March 15, 2015 at 8:36 pm

The Stonehams were hold-overs, an anachronism from previous eras, when many team owners relied on the money they made from their teams for their sole income. Teams were now being bought by multi-millionaires who had made their money in other industries and were buying teams just for the fun of it, or for civic-minded reasons, like Lurie.

56. twinfan1 said, on March 15, 2015 at 11:57 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen please rise to honor America as we welcome Enrico Palazzo for the singing of the National Anthem..

The Anthem always makes me choke up, I hate for you to see me this way, GNight and God Bless America,,