The Madness

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 19, 2015

As Spring Training rabbles in the background, today begins the start of one of the top 3 sporting events of the year. Two billion dollars will be lost in unseen work productivity today. Here at The Flap, that number could soar even higher…..

I’ve got no idea how many brackets I’ve filled out across the internet. Fanduel, Draftkings, Yahoo, Espn, CBSSports, private work bracket, family and friends bracket……It’s probably around 100.

I’ve got Arizona winning it all on just about every ticket…..

Your pick?

1. Nipper said, on March 19, 2015 at 7:43 am

Kentucky

2. wilcojoe said, on March 19, 2015 at 7:48 am

I’ve got Kentucky in about 90% of my brackets. Arizona, Duke, and Wisconsin in my others. Stephen F. Austin (from up the road) is my sleeper. I just don’t see Kentucky losing anytime soon.

3. Alleykat said, on March 19, 2015 at 7:58 am

Kentucky
    Too deep a team, their bench is so deep that most of them would be starters on other teams..
    They will run the table and go 40-0.

4. blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2015 at 8:18 am

Gonzaga all the way baby! Bulldogs 64-59 over Kentucky.

5. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 9:14 am

This year is the least amount I’ve followed college basketball in many years. The growth of the ‘one and done’ thing just kind of finally fizzled my interest. They ought to require at least a ‘two and done’ to make sure the “student”-athlete finishes at least one full school year at the school.

6. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 9:20 am

I was curious how Aaron Gordon, a “one and done” guy from Univ. of Arizona, was doing in his rookie season in the NBA. I looked it up and the first thing I learned was what NBA team he’s on. I had no idea. He plays for the Orlando Magic. He’s averaging 5 points a game, and 3 rebounds. And he missed a bunch of games with an injured foot. His NBA career is not off to a stellar start.

7. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 9:37 am

But having said all that, March Madness is an exciting sports event. Win or go home makes for an exciting event.
    I’ll pick Louisville, because it’s one of the few teams I saw play this season, and they looked pretty darned good.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 19, 2015 at 9:39 am

What’s the BBOTD’s pick?

9. Flavor said, on March 19, 2015 at 9:46 am

Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman 3m3 minutes ago
    Yikes. RT @JohnSheaHey: Pagan out another three days, to have injection for lower back

10. wilcojoe said, on March 19, 2015 at 9:47 am

For those of you outside the Bay Area watching todays March madness at your local watering hole, be sure to remind the bartender to turn on the MLB Network at 1pm pt for this afternoon Giants game. 😉

• chipower9 said, on March 19, 2015 at 11:03 am

Ha. I think most would more welcome a turd in the punch bowl. Go Giants!

11. Macdog said, on March 19, 2015 at 9:59 am

Kentucky. I would’ve put ‘Zona in Final Four, maybe even the final, if not for being in same bracket as Wisconsin. And of course Duke — without winning ACC regular season or conference tourney — gets top seed and the usual easy road to Final Four. Nice job NCAA. Go Bobby Mo!

Just saw the Affeldt commercial during Notre Dame-Northeastern, which means it’ll probably be shown 50 more times before the day is out.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 19, 2015 at 10:18 am

Hard to have much faith in being able to count on Pagan. I’m sure Sabean is scouring dumpsters far and wide.

13. Irish Kevin said, on March 19, 2015 at 10:23 am

Duke!!! All the way!!

14. Bozo said, on March 19, 2015 at 10:49 am

Kentucky over Duke.

15. chipower9 said, on March 19, 2015 at 11:09 am

Kantuck

16. Alleykat said, on March 19, 2015 at 11:35 am

Never a good sign when Pagan needs an injection for his back after major back surgery. He’s turning into our next “Mr Glass”
    Outfield is a mess right now, with the usual 2nd and 3rd stringers now starting, Oh yeah forgot about Aoki, well not really…

17. Irish Kevin said, on March 19, 2015 at 11:39 am

I might have to revise how many games Pagan will play, cortisone shots are good for about 30 days. He might reach 50 games this year

18. willedav said, on March 19, 2015 at 11:49 am

Props to UAB, fought hard all game on defense and boards at both ends and take out 3 seed Cyclones.
    Sometimes big star teams rely on shoot themselves out a game and Niang did that today. But UAB won this one on their own.

19. Macdog said, on March 19, 2015 at 12:24 pm

As if the Duke bracket wasn’t already enough of a joke, the #3 team Iowa St. can’t even get out of the first round.

20. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 12:45 pm

“Oh yeah forgot about Aoki”
    It’s easy to do that. 🙂

And, yeah, yikes about Pagan. An outfield of Blanco, Aoki, and Ishi/Perez to start the season is pretty scary.

21. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 12:53 pm

The Kris Bryant thing is kind of funny in a way; it’s like the Cubs are saying: “Hey, Cub fans, you’ve waited 106 years; what’s the big deal about waiting a couple of weeks?”

22. wilcojoe said, on March 19, 2015 at 12:57 pm

What an incredible finish to the Georgia St-Baylor game! The coach’s son drains the winning three from about six feet behind the line as his dad/coach falls out of his chair with his leg in a cast. You just can’t script this kind of stuff!

23. chipower9 said, on March 19, 2015 at 1:40 pm

I heard a dude on the local Sac sports talk show this morn that said he felt there would be a number of 3/14 seed upsets. Damn – I had Iowa State making some noise as a sleeper (yeah, I know…they were a 3 seed) and Baylor advancing to the Sweet 16 in most of my brackets.

If ya get bored with ST baseball (I think we are all there and have been for a while), or the NCAA isn’t doing it for you, the Brandon and Brandon blog has some recent posts…

24. blade3colorado said, on March 19, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Did Iowa State or Baylor bust your bracket already? Me? Both . . . Pfffttt!

• chipower9 said, on March 19, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Yep…on most. But, in one that I am in at my local brewery, we re-pick after the next round. But, during the first round of picks, if you choose to put down your Final Four picks (not required), you get bonus points for each team that actually makes the Final Four. $10 buy in… no big money, but certainly bragging rights. 😉

25. chipower9 said, on March 19, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Many here felt the Giants should have been more agressive in signing some top-flight names, but regardless of how you feel about the off-season and the current status of things, I thought the following was a good reflection of the off-season (see the fourth story down on this link): “Offseason in Review – San Francisco Giants.”

And note (this was a surprise to me) under the “Minor League Signings” area, the addition of…drum roll please….

John Bowker.

Wow…the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Yippee Yi Yo Ki Yay Motherfuckers – The Bowker Gang Rides Again!

• Hargesheimer said, on March 19, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Starting OFer no later than mid-June.

26. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Dodgers’ starting pitcher Anderson got roughed up a bit today. 1 2/3 innings, 7 hits, 3 earned runs.
    Grandal 0 for 3 today, and hitting .226 in Spring Training, and not looking good on defense. I only point that out because he was a key piece in the Kemp trade.

Panik went yard today. Cool.

27. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 3:19 pm

There’s concern in Red Sox Land over their starting pitching. Another one of their starters got roughed up today. Boston’s going to have to win a bunch of 8-6 type of games this year to make the playoffs. They do seem to have found a nice lead-off hitter, Betts. Looks like he could be legit. Rumor has it that the Phillies will trade Hamels to Boston, if Betts is included in the deal. The Red Sox are balking at that.

• Alleykat said, on March 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Zumie..Is that Dickey Betts from the Allman Brothers?
      Cause he could hog tie Panda to a “Whipping Post” and sing “Midnight Rider” to him all night…

28. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Vogey had a nice outing today. 4 2/3, 2 hits. no runs.

• Hargesheimer said, on March 20, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Well, it is spring training.

29. zumiee said, on March 19, 2015 at 3:26 pm

ESPN is broadcasting a Spring Training game this afternoon. Yankees and Phillies. Yeah, shocking that ESPN would pick those two teams. Shocking beyond belief.

30. pawliekokonuts said, on March 19, 2015 at 4:14 pm

My bracket pick? Syracuse. What? Jim Boeheim? Daryl Gross?

31. wilcojoe said, on March 19, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Every time I see Ohio St. Head basketball coach, I can’t help but think of Gene Hackman in Hoosiers.

32. Flavor said, on March 19, 2015 at 5:58 pm

new, sad, thread

33. unca_chuck said, on March 20, 2015 at 7:38 am

I always think I’ll get jazzed abou the tourney and get into pools and dhit but yhen it starts and I’m all ‘meh.’