We’re Number 30! Yeah!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 26, 2015

At this point, I’m hoping we maintain our last place finish in the spring training standings all the way to Opening Day. If you’re going to fuck something up why not go all the way with it? And if I truly don’t care about spring training stats, and I don’t, then why not have some fun with it?

So while I want to see sharper fundamentals on defense, line drives that are caught off the bats of our hitters and a .350+ BABIP for our pitchers, I’m going to give myself a knowing dude head nod every time we lose for the rest of the spring.

After you win another World Series and then follow it up with a 6-18 to start the spring, this is really the only way for me to make it to opening day without breaking something……

____________________________

For those of you who enjoy Shop Talk with Shoptaw, here’s the article he wrote about the Giants after interviewing me and a couple of other Giants bloggers.

1. Nipper said, on March 26, 2015 at 6:09 am

Spring games……zzzzzzzzzzzzz

2. Bozo said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:24 am

My two least favorite teams, A’s and Dodgers, are at the top of the league standings and one and two in the Cactus league, so I piss in the general direction of Arizona.
    I haven’t watched or listened to a game this Spring and reading the stats, I’m thinking maybe they are just working on their line drive bunting. It would seem Belt is ready for the season to start and McGehee might end up being a doubles hitting machine at Pac Bell. Maybe Panik and Aoki are just slow starters and everything will be right in the world once the light switch gets turned on (or does that only work for the pitchers?).
    And, what is up with the 7:05 PT starts for some of these games? And x 2, for whatever reason, this morning I was wondering what team would be the most desperate for BP help that they would take a chance on Brian Wilson. Yeesh, whatta Spring, I tell ya

3. willedav said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:43 am

Pagan played yesterday and hit 3rd behind Aoki and Panik and as Twin said that’s likely the starting LU (til Pence gets back) with Posey Belt Mac Blanco and Craw. As long as these guys get enough ABs to feel comfortable and be ready for April, I don’t think the avgs. matter much.

Ike Davis of the A’s is hitting .520 after 2 hits and a HR yesterday. This is the same guy who hit .205 in 2013 for the Mets and struck out 101 times in 317 ABs. As a strictly platoon player vs. RHP he probably doesn’t hit .250.

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:46 am

Yep, I commented on that (and Pence’s return yesterday). It will be interesting to see how Bochy sets the line-up. I do not foresee a standard line-up…I think guys will get moved around a bit, at least for the early part of the season.

4. chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:43 am

Great thread, Flav. I concur. WE SUCK and I am loving it (until the 6th of April, that is).

I am not a huge Ratto fan. His stuff can be entertaining at times, and at times he is like fingernails on a chalkboard. But I did enjoy his piece on the recent Forbes re-evaluation of baseball team values…and our Giant’s doubling in value to (key Dr. Evil recording)…ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

I never hang anything on ST stats, standings, etc. But as I have said before, I love heading down to the desert to check out some ST ball and taking in the sites of Scottsdale and the surrounding area. Am still bummed that my daughter and I did not make it this year, but it will only make next year’s trip even sweeter.

ELEVEN daze until opening day…er, in the Giant’s case, opening night (fucking douche bag d-bax).

5. chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:54 am

On the topic of the Giants doubling in value, per Forbes, snarkk had the following comment last night:

“So, the lament of Sabean and Baer on any kind of limited “budget” talk on the payroll is patently laughble. The 4th most valuable franchise in MLB needs to find some outfielders — and it can pay for them out of petty cash…”

I would love to see them spend some of that cash, but it isn’t on Sabes or Baer. You want them to loosen the purse strings, you need to talk to Charles Johnson (aka MR Moneybags).

• stickman said, on March 26, 2015 at 8:31 am

Johnson has had his think-tankers working on it and they have schemed out a concept by which they have told him he may be able to take it with him. Got a brother like that. Classical miser.

6. willedav said, on March 26, 2015 at 8:03 am

I’d suspect SF will be active next year too—they did have big bucks offers out to Shields and Lester, Sandoval too. Hard to see what could help them right away out of farm system (except Duffy), but there will be a bumper crop of top level SPs available and Giants will have Hudson and couple others coming off the books.

• blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2015 at 8:54 am

Thank you for mentioning that Willie. I’ve harped on this fact as well. The Giants made competitive offers and in some cases, were the highest bidder (Sandoval, Shields, and possibly others we don’t know about).

What the Giants didn’t do is make stupid offers a la Yankees, Boston, and Los Angeles.

Chi, thanks for sharing the Ratto column, which also linked to Forbes actual numbers. What was really amazing to me were the Giants Revenue figure of $387 million – $17 million more then the 3rd place figure of the Red Sox and only $16 million behind the Dodgers. I was equally interested by the Giants Operating Income of $68.4 million vs. the Bums -$12.2 million.

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 9:49 am

WY Blade on the Ratto article.

Yep, I mentioned yesterday that while the bumbinos have the highest revenue from television rights, and also were numero uno in attendance, they STILL had that NEGATIVE 12.2 mil operating income figure. And again, that just goes to show that the suits in charge in LALA land haven’t a clue. And as I also mentioned yesterday, the signing of Olivera for 63 mil is just one more indication that they have their heads up their asses.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2015 at 8:09 am

Baggs had a piece on Casilla yesterday that was…interesting. Dude is pretty much as nutzo as he seems. Love that guy.

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:05 am

Halle-fucking-lujah for Casilla’s “clairvoyance or divine intervention.” I have read other stuff about him, and yes, he is “eccentric.” Then I read in the article by Baggs that you mentioned and saw that he is a Penicostal, and that explained a lot. I had an aunt who was a Penicost, and she took me to church with her a few times. That is some whacky stuff…people speaking in tongues, etc. I think I was scarred for life, and this was one of the principal drivers in my becoming a “born again Pagan.” 😉

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:15 am

I thought it was funny how he mentioned using a bullhorn or loudspeaker or whatever and praying with whoever would walk by and then talking about how Juan Uribe moved out of the neighborhood. I don’t care what another man wants to believe. The whole mental picture is just humorous to me.

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:53 am

Agree, Dirt. I found myself laughing during that portion of the article. And i do like Casilla a lot. This article just added more to the intrigue. Thanks for the heads-up on this piece….it was an enjoyable read.

8. Macdog said, on March 26, 2015 at 11:27 am

Just got the SI MLB preview issue. They have the Giants finishing 84-78 and missing the playoffs. Then I saw they have the Indians winning the World Series, so now I feel better.

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 1:45 pm

The Tribe?! Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor…

9. Flavor said, on March 26, 2015 at 11:44 am

I put a link to an article Cardinal Daniel wrote about the Giants. Check it out if you get the chance.

• blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Nice Flavor. Daniel was gracious allowing you and the other 2 Giants fans to comment about the Giants upcoming season.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Yeah, the link was cool. As someone who is often not funny I’m just gonna say that the SFLF dude is not funny.

• zumiee said, on March 26, 2015 at 12:06 pm

The cartoon with the trophies made me laugh. Those seagulls can really drop a load on people. It hasn’t happened to me at a Giants game yet, but it’s happened to a couple of people sitting near me.
      And “getting tired of beating the Cardinals in the playoffs” made me lqtm a little.

• blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Yeah, I thought the trophy comic panels were funny. Zum, never has happened to me at a Giants game either . . . However, it has happened at the SF Zoo. Lesson learned? Never, ever feed those ungrateful MOFOs colored popcorn.

11. Lurker John said, on March 26, 2015 at 12:10 pm

SI has had a permanent boner for all things San Francisco for years now. Niners, Giants, Warriors, it doesn’t matter. Screw ’em.

12. blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Ya know it just discombobulates my mind that our San Francisco Giants are worth north of $2 billion dollars today. Add 3 World Series championships and someone like myself could really go loony tunes when you consider these 2 items from our past (thank you McCovey Chronicles for the links):

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Those are awesome, Blade. Thanks for sharing.

I remember vividly the day the sale and move to Tampa was announced. I was sitting in a bar in the City (Cathedral Hill hotel). My wife and her best friend had gone upstairs to to grab some things, and Michael (Anne’s husband) I sat down at the bar to wait. I recall that as the announcement came over the air, there were not many dry eyes in the joint. Thank goodness for Peter Magowan and crew.

• blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Equally important was Lurie stepping in earlier to buy the Giants from Stoneham, who already had consummated a deal with Labatt Brewery (the other link), where the team was going to be moved to Canada. Actually, the only thing preventing that – was the Candlestick city lease (so the City deserves credit as well).

13. chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Thanks for sharing the link from Daniel, Flav. That was cool.

14. […] The rest of the article can be found here: THE San Francisco Giants Blog […]

• chipower9 said, on March 26, 2015 at 2:48 pm

The Giants Dugout Online – purported to be the best SF Giant blog??? If so, then why in the hell do they have to repost a thead from THE San Francisco Giants Blog???

The Flap Universe knows the truth, and that is all that matters…

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Whatev, as long as it’s a true Giants fan I’m down with it

15. gianthead said, on March 26, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I am shocked….6 wins? I thought they won maybe twice…

16. zumiee said, on March 26, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Puig hit an HR off Brad Penny today. Brad Penny? Seriously?

17. blade3colorado said, on March 26, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Talk about a swing and a miss – Brady Aiken, numero uno pick in the 2014 draft, just had Tommy John surgery. In a controversial negotiation that resulted in the Astros failing to sign Aiken, Houston reduced their offer to the young left-hander from $6.5 million to $3.1 million after a physical revealed concerns in his ulnar collateral ligament. At the last minute, they reportedly increased their offer to $5 million, but Aiken didn’t sign.

I bet he wished he had signed now. LOL.

• wilcojoe said, on March 26, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Yeah Blade, the Astros took a lot of heat for not signing him. They obviously made the right call. They also saw something they didn’t like during Vogelsong’s medical evaluation that caused them to pull back their offer, which resulted in his re-signing with us.

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2015 at 5:36 pm

WJ– word from Voggy is that he didn’t like the vibe he was getting in AstroLand. He says he’s the one who had second thoughts and at that point went back to the Giants. Take that for what it’s worth

• wilcojoe said, on March 26, 2015 at 5:52 pm

The new Astros organization has been criticized for being overly sabrmetric. Many players have complained that the front office just comes across as too stat focused, which I believe. Their owner just came out and admitted some “rookie moves” on their behalf and I think a lot of that has to do with the way Luhnow (GM) has handled himself.
        However it was also reported a couple weeks ago that the Astros did see something in Vogelsong’s medical evaluation that “concerned” them. With them nailing the Aiken injury, it is something to keep an eye on.

• DJLoo said, on March 26, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Did you know that “ASTROLAND” is a very famous place in Brooklyn?

• Flavor said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:04 pm

having never been to Brooklyn, no i didn’t know that. But my daughter’s aunt and her family live there. She’s been to visit, I haven’t. They live in a Brownstone, which is always a description of a house that makes me lqtm for some reason

• DJLoo said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Anything to do with GNR’s epic “Mr. Brownstone”?

• unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Better hope not . . .

18. wilcojoe said, on March 26, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Was reading that Cardinal fans blog along with one of the other Giants bloggers that was interviewed. Neither one of those guys had any comments on any of their regular posts. And what was up with the Giants cartoon dude? If a blog post is written on a daily basis and there is no one there to comment does it make a sound?

19. Bozo said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:34 pm

OK, the game is on the tube so I decided to check the team out. So far it has been one long half hour.

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 26, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Well, I can see why Bochy is none too pleased. Bad execution at every turn.

21. unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Yeah, it’s amazing how many blogs you run across that get 0 traffic. I don’t know how to find out traffic stats, but this has to be in the top 1,000? 10,000? Someone told me I broke a million.

Yeah!! I’m 999,999th!!!!

Still haven’t found a game to watch other than replays of the 2012 and 2014 playoff runs.

WE LOOK AWESOME!!!!

22. Bozo said, on March 26, 2015 at 8:07 pm

That just might be enough Spring Training for me. Hopefully Aoki won’t suck so bad in the OF as he looked in a couple of the innings I saw him in tonight. Hopefully Pagan will be less crazy and more Horse or is it less show and more go? Hopefully Tim will start work with his dad on pitching past the first inning or maybe his dad is working with Vogs right now. And Hector Sanchez, hopefully someone will realize the dude could die out there and maybe coaching would be the way to go for him.

23. DJLoo said, on March 26, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Timmy looks decent….

24. DJLoo said, on March 26, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Quite a scare WVU is giving KY…

• willedav said, on March 26, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Yeah what a thrash.
      Knowing Huggins, half time wasn’t a lot of fun either.
      He even blows off the sideline babes.

25. DJLoo said, on March 26, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Poor Hector just got nailed with a foul tip in the throat or just under it.

• zumiee said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:24 pm

I’ve never seen a catcher that was as much of a ball-magnet as he is. It’s unreal.

26. unca_chuck said, on March 26, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Is this why I don’t line college bball very much? The Zona / Xavier game was boring as hell. Lots of fouls and timeouts. No flow to the game at all.

27. zumiee said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Pagan beat out an infield hit, and was running real well. Hopefully a very good sign.

28. zumiee said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:28 pm

I don’t know who Partch is, but he’s not a very good pitcher. I guess the Giants just want a few more looks at him to see if it’s worth having him at Sac-town.

• DJLoo said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Even in ST you need inning eaters, I guess…

29. Macdog said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Losing pitcher was Partch. With a name like that, he should pitch a little better in the desert.

• DJLoo said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Hey Mac, staying up late like this is kind of our spring training in a way…

30. snarkk said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:39 pm

A’s continue to pummel the Gyros.
    I take that as a good sign…

• zumiee said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:48 pm

I thought of you when Timmy threw a ball into centerfield on a force attempt at secondbase. I thought: I know what Snarkk would say. The Giants pitchers continue to be bad on defense. It’s unbelievable how they continue to throw the ball away at what seems a higher rate than other teams.

• snarkk said, on March 26, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I don’t know the comparative stats, zum.
        If there are teams with worse defensive pitcher stats than ours, gawd help them…

• zumiee said, on March 26, 2015 at 11:06 pm

At this point, it doesn’t seem fixable. A lot of these Giants pitchers are well-seasoned vets. They are what they are, regarding their defensive ability. We hold our breath when they pick up a ball and throw it to a base. 🙂